Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for nutshell42

Real Name nutshell42   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 11, 2007, 21:21
Total Comments 206 (Novice)
User ID 41973

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 16, 2014, 16:22 nutshell42

Seems to be Xbox Marketing. Given that the Xbone was the biggest marketing clusterfuck in a long time they probably deserve it. Well, who am I kidding they'll fire anyone but those responsible.

On a related note, they should ax whoever did the industrial design, too. The PS4 looks so much better it's not even funny.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 12, 2014, 06:10 nutshell42

I didn't fully read that article, but I read one a few days ago that pretty much said what you said.

Then you read the wrong articles. This is all FUD by Google to bully Europe. See e.g. here (I'm sorry I linked to the Register. I'm gonna need a shower

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 6
12. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 6 Jun 13, 2014, 17:59 nutshell42

ViRGE wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:28:
Spencer explains why Microsoft didn't bring Windows games to E3.
Not to be snarky, but Microsoft makes more money off of Xbox games than PC games. PC gaming is still a profit center for them, but when it's not the most profitable gaming business it's not going to be the center of attention.

They make more money off Xbox games because they spent the last 13 years killing PC games. Microsoft used to have great studios, great gaming hardware, all of which now long dead and gone.

The MS Games head for Germany was on the record that they deliberately delay PC releases because otherwise people wouldn't buy the console versions...

MS could have created something like Steam, living proof that even without a forced tax like on consoles you can make a lot of profit off PC games; instead we got GFWL. MS can go and fuck themselves.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 6, 2014, 14:29 nutshell42

Long story short, he lost all credibility, but the question about him being a traitor or not cannot be simply hand-waved away without deeper analysis.

Let's ignore the question whether he's a hypocrite or not for a moment, in what way did he lose *credibility*? None of the stuff from his leaks has been wrong. In many cases we no have confirmation that what he said and made public was correct.

I really don't think "credibility" was the word you're looking for.

And while we're talking about people not knowing what you're talking about; the GP called him a coward which is just about the most ridiculous thing ever. The cowardly thing would have been to stay in the cushy job in Hawaii with a six figure salary and an unlimited job guarantee. You can argue whether he fled the country to escape jail or to make sure he wouldn't be silenced but he definitely threw away his comfortable life to protect the freedoms of you ungrateful "$%) and give proof that the government committed crimes against the constitution on a massive scale; whatever he is, he is not a coward.

Now into the realm of opinion instead of fact: I don't think he's a hypocrite; and the only reason he's in Russia is because the US bullied every other option into refusing him.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 19, 2013, 02:37 nutshell42

wow, you didn't even read the fucking headline of the article you're replying to.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 17, 2012, 05:34 nutshell42

so it's impossible to determine whether Fedora's dead or not?  

News Comments > Revised Windows Store Policy Allows PEGI-18 Games
8. Re: Revised Windows Store Policy Allows PEGI-18 Games Oct 26, 2012, 06:50 nutshell42

October 1942
Somewhere in the North Atlantic

"Pegi-18, Pegi-18, please respond. Pegi-18 do you copy?"

I always thought it sounded like straight out of a war movie.

News Comments > Nexus 2 Kickstarter
14. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 16:22 nutshell42

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:55:
If you do, it's because your abilities are sub par, and you obviously don't understand the genre, duh.

But he is right (now I have to shower, thanks Stan).

All your complaints about the gameplay itself instead of interface shortcomings read like the whining of a guy who doesn't like the genre.

(hey, IGN reduced the score of Ground Control due to lack of base building. Why don't you head over there? Sounds like your kind of site.)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 25, 2012, 18:19 nutshell42

Sony's easily got the best first party titles of this generation (Last Guardian's demise notwithstanding). Can't say I'd be inconsolable (badadush) if they went multi-platform.  

News Comments > Steam EU Legal Conflict
17. Re: Steam EU Legal Conflict Sep 21, 2012, 12:59 nutshell42

"required declaration of failure"

A better, as in not harebrained, translation would be [b]declaration of cessation[/b] (the translation includes the stilted legalese tone).

Basically as a response to a cease and desist order you promise to cease and desist. This generally allows the ceased and desisted party to escape further legal trouble while the ceasing and desisting one can truly fuck you up good if you break said promise later on.

Valve of course won't do it because being able to rape you in the ass is part of their business model. They sell access to your asshole to publishers. Hell, this whole business started because they want to take away your right to sue them if they rape you too hard. (not that I don't have a steam library but at least I'm not in love with my pimp)

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
29. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 18:29 nutshell42

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 18:21:
Freelancer sucked hard [...]
Also I dont want another Privateer 2 fail.

What the fuck is *wrong* with you?

Somebody call a doctor! He's delusional.

On a related note: Privateer 2 was by Chris Roberts brother, not him iirc, and they shouldn't have tacked on the Privateer name. But what do you expect of EA.

News Comments > The International 2012 Begins
4. Re: The International 2012 Begins Sep 1, 2012, 23:26 nutshell42

Imho Dota makes for a pretty terrible spectator sport.

Your girlfriend can watch a Starcraft match and get the gist of it and it generally ends with a cataclysmic battle. In Dota you're watching 20 min of farming with slowly accumulating advantages (please no counter-examples. This is a about the general situation not exceptions) and now and then there's a small skirmish that's incomprehensible without knowledge of 108 heroes and a gazillion items.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
60. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 24, 2012, 07:54 nutshell42

Dades wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 07:20:
Why can't I toggle metro if I don't want their phone interface?

There's an easy toggle: Just don't use Metro apps.

And there's no reason it should have different start menus. The current one doesn't really work like anything else in Windows either. A resizable split menu with inline scrolling.

Not to mention its bullshit inconsistency. Click "all programs" and the button turns into a back button. Search for someting then that button becomes an "open in explorer" button, while the back button is the little cross in the search bar. It's a fucking disaster.

59. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 24, 2012, 07:42 nutshell42

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 06:49:
No one said the start menu in previous versions of Windows was more useful necessarily, that's a different argument.

But apart from it the only Metro fragment you're likely going to see with any regularity is the Wifi config (if you have a notebook and often switch wifi networks), how's that ramming Metro down our throats? =)

Correction, there's the search; I never used the start menu search for anything but apps and settings, but if you used some of the more advanced features it might be annoying. No idea.

I don't agree with your conclusion about context switching

Why? My rationale:

1. You open the start menu to start a new program
2. Hence the program you used before opening the start menu and after are different (even if you later switch back to the first)
3. Compared to switching from one program to another the question whether you use a menu or a screen is a minor difference.

I really don't like to sound like the Windows evangelist but I just don't get how the question of the size of the start menu can justify the vitriol that's heaped on Windows 8.
Hell, I'd understand if people complained that they didn't add enough stuff for desktop users since 7; but I guess ppl can't say that because it'd undermine the story of 7 being the embodiment of perfection and 8 the spawn of Satan.

Oh and my 2 favorite bullshit complaints:
1. "I searched for hours for the shutdown button" -- your PC's got a power button
2. "My grandma'll never find the start screen hot corner" -- Every keyboard has a windows key; most have 2.

There's so much legitimate stuff you could complain about. The store is Jobsian fascist wonderland, the cloud integration everywhere is annoying and the uselessness of Metro with a mouse is completely unnecessary. A more elegant integration of Metro and Desktop would go a long way. The Office 2013 beta with the collapsible window chrome shows how it could've been done.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2012, 07:48.

56. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 24, 2012, 05:40 nutshell42

Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 22:27:
I was addressing the comment that Metro isn't forced on the user. You can't disable it without third party functionality that can't be counted on in the corporate space. Microsoft went out of its way to accomplish that. It is a second interface that users must now deal with, to what extent will depend on their workflow and whether people even adopt Windows 8.

Unless you go out of your way to use Metro apps (additional functionality), the charms (additional functionality) or the task switcher (additional functionality and why even use it without Metro apps), your only common interaction with Metro will be

1. the start screen
2. the Wifi configuration.

Both already don't conform to the design of the rest of windows, and both are better in Windows 8 than in 7.

You can of course contest the latter but it's ridiculous to say that the start screen is a massive disruption of your work flow. You use it to start shit, that means you're already in the process of a context switch. And the cases where you need both the start menu and whatever else you've got open at the same time are really not enough to throw the kind of tantrum the Win8 haters do.

To say that Win8 is anything but a slightly better version of 7 with a new start menu and upgraded widgets, that are just as useless as the old ones, is ridiculous.

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV Announced
3. Re: Europa Universalis IV Announced Aug 10, 2012, 17:34 nutshell42

I used to just buy these games at launch. They were shit but you could rely on Paradox to fix them over the next year and your money was simply an investment.

Nowadays they sell you those patches for money and I'm just gonna wait for the complete edition (as opposed to the Complete Edition which is not complete at all, at least in the EU3 case) a few years down the road.

Score one for greed.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Acer CEO warning to MS Surface Tablet Aug 9, 2012, 03:16 nutshell42

Even better: Acer already produces Android stuff so by the CEO's logic it betrayed MS; but when MS does it it's Teh OUTRAAAGE.

Asus is the only innovative company anyway. Everyone else releases one shitty me-too product after the other. A bit of fire under their asses is exactly what's needed.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Video Diary
1. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Diary Aug 8, 2012, 04:16 nutshell42

I like the dual reticles. One thing I've always disliked about just about any iteration of Battletech and/or Mechwarrior was that weapons in your arms were a liability (more vulnerable than torso; hardly any advantages)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
57. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2012, 04:10 nutshell42

Matshock wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 22:09:
John Kerry had it "locked up" right up until he didn't on election night.

So you're saying that Romney's in a worse position than Kerry? Interesting.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of what Obama's done to "stab Israel in the back."

In fact given the way Netanyahu has treated the administration you'd think there'd be at least some kind of retaliation. But as far as I can tell Obama just sat there and turned the other cheek.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
36. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 7, 2012, 16:00 nutshell42

Verno wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 15:33:
At a personal level I think quality of care, availability and cost are the foremost in my mind

Just about all developed nations with national healthcare have better life expectancy and better results on the usual health metrics at significantly lower cost of the US.

Waiting lists can be an issue. The NHS in the UK is legendary for its delays, it's better in most other countries. Waiting times would be one non-essential area where you could have additional private insurance.

Comparisons are hard because there really is no other developed country without national healthcare of some sort.

I understand what you're saying about government regulation being required for the health care system in general but that's a separate discussion from what I'm talking about so I'm not going to address it.

The PAPs in healthcare are often so large they border on market failure. The stakes are so high (your life), the information asymmetry so great (you're not a brain surgeon) and the uncertainty so large (who can really tell how much was your doctor, how much your own body and how much that one of 40 medications) that it's hard for patients to make a rational decision.

Americans take too many pills and get too many CRTs to the detriment of their health; they do that because in the end you have to trust your doctor but it's in your doctor's best interest to sell you more shit.

I think there are many merits to a national health care but I also recognize it has its downsides as well. As an aside, I'm not sure many of the proponents for a national health care system are truly prepared to deal with the tax implications either.

That is absolutely correct.

206 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo