Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for nutshell42

Real Name nutshell42   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 11, 2007, 21:21
Total Comments 219 (Novice)
User ID 41973

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 22, 2014, 17:10 nutshell42

That open access mandate is very important.

It's especially obscene with publicly funded research where the state takes your money and gives it to people who then use it to produce stuff that they will then sell you for profit.

It has gotten a lot better over the last 5-10 years but the holdouts are often the papers that really matter. Gates has a lot of media presence so I hope this will help raze the last pay-walls.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 14:56 nutshell42

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:15:
FTA:

"I think virtual desktops are very useful, but then thatís because Iíve been using them for quite a long time. Apple introduced Spaces on Macs with Mac OS Leopard back in 2007, and Linux has had virtual desktops ever since KDE 1.0, rolled out in 1998. Come to think of it, I seem to recall virtual desktops on OS/2 Warp, circa 1996, and on the Amiga 1000 in, believe or not, 1985."

This had me cackling because someone here at work was crowing about how awesome VDs were on Windows 10 and I told them I'd been using that "feature" in Linux for more than decade. The only thing I don't get is why the arbitrary limit of 4? Is that all that Windows can handle?

I know Linux has had them at least since '94 because I thought they were the shit back then (fvwm2).

The only reason MS decided to implement this feature is to throw a bone to hardcore users. This will be a support nightmare, I know at least 3 relatives that won't understand them, ever.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 4, 2014, 13:45 nutshell42

btallas wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 17:47:
Out of curiosity, why don't you hate sony for not porting to PC?

Because it's not Sony Windows. It's one thing not to support a competitors platform. But ignoring your own to ram a console that apparently can't survive on its merits down your customers throats is bullshit

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 3, 2014, 17:32 nutshell42

Currently the console line-up consists of games better played on PC and souped up games you already played on the last gen.

Long term Sony will win because they actually produces and secure exclusives. Microsoft has nothing but Forza and TEH HALOZ!!!!11 and if they ever got something I'm interested in I would only hate them more for not putting it on PC.

So in the end the only thing those boxes are good for is as media center and for Facebook. That was MS's idea all along, brilliant! Fuck them.

I couldn't wait for the old console cycle to end but it doesn't seem like the new one will get going any time soon.

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed
9. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed Oct 28, 2014, 14:48 nutshell42

It's imho the best PS3 exclusive. The story goes off the rails later on and some of the humor is... interesting, but overall it just oozes love and care and the turn-based/real-time mix might be the best solution for tactical RPGs I've ever seen.

That said it's a great game only with Japanese audio. The English voices are top notch (for a game), with the exception of the two main characters who are absolutely insufferable. I have no idea what they were thinking.

I assume this will be your average Japanese port which means no Japanese version, crappy audio and low resolution so that's that.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 26, 2014, 14:39 nutshell42

MS Office is a POS that makes you wanna murder your computer but using OOo for a week had me ready to strangle myself by feeding my tie into the printer. Office is the vastly superior solution, if only in comparison.

Thankfully we use LaTeX for most of our typesetting needs. It's also a crappy POS but at least once you've solved a problem it stays solved. I love technical fields.

I hope someone writes a html document processor. It's less volatile and easier to debug than LaTeX but unfortunately there is no easy way to get it onto a printed page. And Chrome doesn't even support hyphenation because all they ever care about anymore is appification of Chrome. (if that sounds like a non-sequitur: Google would be the only ones to do it. IE has no vision and Mozilla has visions, they need a doctor)

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
74. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 21, 2014, 02:54 nutshell42

ITT a strong argument for euthanasia.

No this thread doesn't in any way shape or form validate Sarkeesian&Co because that would imply that games were in some way involved in those people becoming insufferable assholes.

Games aren't responsible for school shootings and they aren't responsible for 13yr olds and neckbeards being misogynists.

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
17. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 16:25 nutshell42

AC1 was flawed in many ways but also a great game in many ways.

I haven't heard anything of her in quite a while. I assume she got buried in bureaucracy as studio head so I look forward to her being more hands-on on whatever she's gonna do next.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
14. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 10, 2014, 02:39 nutshell42

Guy Fawkes was the only man to enter parliament with honest intentions, a clear agenda and the means to see them through. No wonder they hanged him.  

12. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 9, 2014, 13:30 nutshell42

Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 10:18:
Those Windows Phone stats are kinda embarrassing.

Why? It's a badge of honor. If there are two groups of people you shouldn't use as a role model for anything it's Al Qaeda and US Congress.

Incidentally Congress actually gave Osama bin Laden a run for his money in terms of approval ratings.

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 30, 2014, 16:01 nutshell42

Verno wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 16:01:
nutshell42 wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 14:56:
This attitude is the reason corporations have turned into Big Brother. People like think nothing about buying Intel E's with SLI but god forbid they have to shell out $100 every 6 years or so for an OS.

I don't know how you got that from his reply. I have no problem shelling out some money for a significant upgrade but when its questionable that's a different story.

From the part where he mindlessly cheers a "free" upgrade. The same way that Americans cheer their "free" smartphones. It's not free. MS will make you pay and it will be a lot worse than a upfront charge that amounts to less than 10 cents for every day of use.

And I really don't understand your (and the other repliers) non sequitur about the utility of the update. If you don't think it does all that much and don't need it then just don't buy it. If you don't mind Windows 7 or 8 then just keep using them until security patches run out in 20xx.

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 30, 2014, 15:56 nutshell42

Julio wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 17:59:
nutshell42 wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 14:56:
People like think nothing about buying Intel E's with SLI but god forbid they have to shell out $100 every 6 years or so for an OS.

There are no features or functionality that Windows 8 brought above Windows 7 for me. So why pay for a downgrade to 8? I doubt Windows 9 contains anything more that I need either.

So you're not upgrading anyway. Then what's the advantage of a "free" upgrade?

Microsoft will force everyone to upgrade at some point but there's no need to think it's beneficial to pay the "Microsoft tax".

After ten years, when the support runs out. Boohoo. And it's certainly better than MS getting creative about raping us by selling us to advertisers or microtransacting us to death.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2014, 14:56 nutshell42

Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 11:52:
Wow, free upgrade to Windows 9? What happened to Microsoft? It's almost as if they've started caring just a little bit about their customers...

So like Google or Facebook we're no longer MS's customers (shitty as they may have treated them) but the product they sell to their real customers.

This attitude is the reason corporations have turned into Big Brother. People like think nothing about buying Intel E's with SLI but god forbid they have to shell out $100 every 6 years or so for an OS.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 16, 2014, 16:22 nutshell42

Seems to be Xbox Marketing. Given that the Xbone was the biggest marketing clusterfuck in a long time they probably deserve it. Well, who am I kidding they'll fire anyone but those responsible.

On a related note, they should ax whoever did the industrial design, too. The PS4 looks so much better it's not even funny.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 12, 2014, 06:10 nutshell42

I didn't fully read that article, but I read one a few days ago that pretty much said what you said.

Then you read the wrong articles. This is all FUD by Google to bully Europe. See e.g. here (I'm sorry I linked to the Register. I'm gonna need a shower

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 6
12. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 6 Jun 13, 2014, 17:59 nutshell42

ViRGE wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:28:
Spencer explains why Microsoft didn't bring Windows games to E3.
Not to be snarky, but Microsoft makes more money off of Xbox games than PC games. PC gaming is still a profit center for them, but when it's not the most profitable gaming business it's not going to be the center of attention.

They make more money off Xbox games because they spent the last 13 years killing PC games. Microsoft used to have great studios, great gaming hardware, all of which now long dead and gone.

The MS Games head for Germany was on the record that they deliberately delay PC releases because otherwise people wouldn't buy the console versions...

MS could have created something like Steam, living proof that even without a forced tax like on consoles you can make a lot of profit off PC games; instead we got GFWL. MS can go and fuck themselves.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 6, 2014, 14:29 nutshell42

Long story short, he lost all credibility, but the question about him being a traitor or not cannot be simply hand-waved away without deeper analysis.

Let's ignore the question whether he's a hypocrite or not for a moment, in what way did he lose *credibility*? None of the stuff from his leaks has been wrong. In many cases we no have confirmation that what he said and made public was correct.

I really don't think "credibility" was the word you're looking for.

And while we're talking about people not knowing what you're talking about; the GP called him a coward which is just about the most ridiculous thing ever. The cowardly thing would have been to stay in the cushy job in Hawaii with a six figure salary and an unlimited job guarantee. You can argue whether he fled the country to escape jail or to make sure he wouldn't be silenced but he definitely threw away his comfortable life to protect the freedoms of you ungrateful "ß$%) and give proof that the government committed crimes against the constitution on a massive scale; whatever he is, he is not a coward.

Now into the realm of opinion instead of fact: I don't think he's a hypocrite; and the only reason he's in Russia is because the US bullied every other option into refusing him.

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 19, 2013, 02:37 nutshell42

wow, you didn't even read the fucking headline of the article you're replying to.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 17, 2012, 05:34 nutshell42

so it's impossible to determine whether Fedora's dead or not?  

News Comments > Revised Windows Store Policy Allows PEGI-18 Games
8. Re: Revised Windows Store Policy Allows PEGI-18 Games Oct 26, 2012, 06:50 nutshell42

October 1942
Somewhere in the North Atlantic

"Pegi-18, Pegi-18, please respond. Pegi-18 do you copy?"

I always thought it sounded like straight out of a war movie.

219 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo