Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for J W

Real Name J W   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Veterator
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 6, 2007, 06:32
Total Comments 503 (Apprentice)
User ID 41737

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week
7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Next Week Nov 5, 2013, 19:55 Veterator

Guild Wars 2 is a pretty decent game. I like some of the living world content a lot more than others. One thing that does drive me nuts about the game however is how much farming you have to do if you want anything in a reasonable time frame.

Like legendary weapons, I've been playing the game since February or so. And I have yet to have a single pre-cursor weapons drop for me. So there is no real point in gathering anything else. Then they came out with Ascended weapons, but they cost a lot in both gold, material, and time to make (mostly gathering, but you still have some other components bought with skill points and other things).

It's accomplishment, and it really seems worth it when you get one. But then on the other hand they are messing with the classes and their skillsets every couple months, so you might find that those ascended, exotics, etc you spent all that time getting end up not helping you out once you figure out how to trait your guy to be most effective for your preferences.

Admittedly I don't spend near as much time as others do perfecting builds, but there are a few classes where I haven't found a build I like....so I hold off on investing heavily into armor and weapons which may make all the difference. But I don't want a bunch of near worthless gear that breaks down to an hours worth of gathering instead of something closer to what it took to obtain it. They addressed this somewhat with legendaries being able to change their stats out of combat...but I don't have any and don't expect to get any soon with how it's gone so far.

All of the above is discouraging, but you can work around it by picking classes they have already figured out how they want them to function and stick with them. But there is another thing I am concerned about, and it may turn out they already considered it....but........

I think that they are setting up these events, sales, and what not to encourage people to stack onto specific servers with "reputations" like Black Gate. BG was the first to down Tequatl, so it spread that it was a good PVE server....then they came out with the WvW seasonal. So people were leaving to go to the servers that either repeatedly kicked their ass so they'd win all the time or leave for an entirely different bracket. Then they made it cheaper to transfer.

And now people are locked to their servers for the time being, but I suspect once the season ends more people will leave when they get poor rewards for their placement.

And on top of that, people play to just constantly troll in public channels in various aspects of the game. People who've been reported for months for the same activity. Hell, people who transfer off the server (I play on Darkhaven) come back to troll and stir shit up in Lion's Arch. And them doing that creates more trolls, because nothing ever happens to em. Makes it discouraging for new people because it's just constantly being berated while you're trying to learn what is going on. WvW is especially bad for this.

I generally like the game, but I think it's biggest downfall is a small group within it's player base that set out to shit on it for everyone else. And their shop could do with lower pricing, you could easily put 100 bucks into the game and not unlocked most account upgrades....and then you have costumes, skins, keys, various other toys that hundreds of dollars probably wouldn't be enough to keep up with.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Nov 3, 2013, 01:00 Veterator

Don't really see a problem with it. Entertainment media has lots of disgusting things in it, and some of it involves things happening to kids.

Now you might have an argument if they took your likeness or your kid's likeness and put it in the game for people to blow away. Because eventually it'll get to where people will be able to easily insert the likeness of whoever into games....then it's going to be super fun legal battle times.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2013, 01:50 Veterator

Yeah, I see what you are saying. But like others have pointed out and even yourself there...if you're not paying attention to the road it usually becomes obvious.

What I am concerned about is that the laws are left vague and only tech that is ............ "political contributioned" enough will ever make it into vehicles as a nudge nudge wink wink it's OK kind of deal. And everything else will be left for you to figure out how to use it in non-obvious ways to avoid more citations. This is more of a you were pulled over for something not extremely beyond the norm....say broken tail light, forgeting to turn on your headlights, etc. Not extreme speeding, weaving, etc. I just don't like it being left up to the police officer to see a non-specifically noted device in your car and taking it upon themselves to cite you for it or pump up the ticket you may receive because of it.

Only thing I can say I am guilty of is leaving my earbuds in so they don't get tangled up when I get in and out of the car and forget to pop em out when I got the belt latched and all that. Don't own a fancy phone, etc. And it'd be pretty damn inconvenient if google glass ever got to where you could have it on script glasses, but had to keep another pair of glasses to drive with because you couldn't prove you weren't looking at it/using it. Which in my mind could happen with any tech that could be in your line of sight with slight turns of your head.

I understand hands-free laws. Lot of people use their phones while driving and are at a minimum annoying fucking drivers if not dangerous. And it'd be pretty easy to see someone holding their phone/using it due to head position etc. Lots of other things, not so much. I don't see how you determine if someone was using a "google glass" or GPS or anything else without them being dangerous....which is already illegal.

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 03:11:
Veterator -

Depends on the laws in your state. In some states (Minnesota) you can have 1 ear bud in. For me, it is usually a learning and education point (ala verbal warning and explanation) and I write the ticket for the original stop.

If you are STARING at your watch, you obviously aren't just checking the time. 99.99% of people take less than a second to look at their watch.

Have you ever looked around? It is OBVIOUS when people are texting or playing Candy Crush, it isn't a trivial thing at all....

News Comments > Blackwell Deception Free
15. Re: Blackwell Deception Free Nov 1, 2013, 01:37 Veterator

Might be over. Got a blurb saying it's not active when I tried it.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 31, 2013, 00:48 Veterator

I've always wondered about the google glass thing, but applied to various other tech.

1) Your phone, they can do GPS, and a lot of other things. And they can just be sitting idle charging but the "monitor" is still on and visible. It would seem as long as you're not holding it while driving you're OK most of the time. However the way the law reads, you'd be just as screwed if it was sitting idle charging but the screen was on.

2) Headphones, but device not on. If you use crap earbuds, sometimes it's just more convenient to leave them in your ear so they aren't tangled up in the seatbelt and what not dangling out of your shirt/wherever. So you COULD be listening to music super loud, and if you get pulled over for something the cop could just decide to screw you and write more infractions for assumptions he can't prove or disprove at the time of being pulled over.

3) Watches, they got some pretty damn fancy watches out there that can do stuff equivalent to your phone. What's stopping you from doing everything that illegal on in other formats on your watch?

As for the google glass incident, I don't see how he could tell that they were on or not unless they default to always on and displaying. And if they aren't, but she's still found guilty under the law...it seems like any of the above devices would be on the same slope of argument for future infractions. That because it was possible you were using it, you probably were.

Being hands free on your phone is usually pretty obvious when you're breaking it, with the head lean and light shining on your face as you hold it against your shoulder, etc. Beyond that I don't see how they could possibly know one way or the other without seeing that you did something that would require user interaction around the time the cop stopped you.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"
5. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 11:14 Veterator

Wonder if they are settings themselves up for the "entertainment news" legal distinction we have now for news stations, etc. So they can start cutting back on gameplay and call it a "game experience".

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2013, 22:15 Veterator

I couldn't point to any training or degree that would set you up for cyber security positions. I know it uses aspects of various fields, but none of them seem to specialize in it.

So, I always figured they got their people from military backgrounds where they were taught how to break into and protect against it. Or hired people who got caught doing illegal things in the past, that now would land you in much hotter water since all of the law changes, etc.

As a young person in the US, I wouldn't even be remotely tempted to try any of it on my own, because there's the potential of you doing something that breaks one of these "new" laws for bypassing DRM/whatever that have cropped up over the last decade.

Not only do you have to know your stuff, you also have to be covered on the law side of whatever you may be asked to do. IE, they ask you to break into the company server (the company you work for), and something goes wrong with a 3rd party product that causes data loss. Even if you could prove the third party product caused the issue, they could potentially throw it back at you as misuse/circumvention and prevent you from even talking about it.

And then you have the potential of having the very company who asked you to do this stuff turning around and crying foul if something breaks. So you have to get everything in writing from someone who you are sure has the authority to permit it.

And nothing about any of it seems even remotely interesting nor creative. Mostly that's just general with IT, it's seen as a "cost" in every company ever. So the only time they notice you is when they want to cut your budget more or something fucks up either due to you screwing up or them cutting your budget...either way it's still your fault. And I can't think of too many people who'd want to tolerate that for long, when you could potentially take your skills and end up making more money in another aspect of tech.

If they were really serious about it, they'd pay you to go to school and get trained in the field. Work you while you get trained/schooled so you can put them to use. Then have you sign a 3-5 year contract upon completion of your degree to recoup their costs and try to entice you to stay longer. You know..by not shitting all over you like they have every other IT guy....so now they can't get them.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Extended Free Trial This Week; Patch Next Week
17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Extended Free Trial This Week; Patch Next Week Sep 25, 2013, 06:47 Veterator

Yeah the time limits are a little unreasonable for a myriad of reasons.

Just a few that bug me about it is that I don't want to have to check a timer throughout the day all day to see if there's something coming up soon. So if they had some kind of warning, like with the scarlet events that something is coming up soon...the time limit on the fight would bother me less. Because people'd be more likely to show up since it'd be broadcast serverwide. It'd have to have a fairly large buffer on it so people have time to get there and get ready....15 minutes at a minimum.

Then the time on the timers...Tequatl fight took us something like half an hour. Because his timer pauses during various phases and starts up another timer.

It's just that if you're going to be putting an hour into a fight, 30 minutes of actual fight and another 15-20 getting ready for it....the rewards should be way better than they are.

You got people speed running dungeons multiple times in that time frame for more money and loot across the board.

And it's not so much a gripe that the rewards suck, it's just that there's no way people are going to stay interested in a fight that difficult if you don't give them something equal to what they could do elsewhere in the same amount of time. It currently far below that.

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Extended Free Trial This Week; Patch Next Week Sep 24, 2013, 19:58 Veterator

I really wouldn't have issue with the fight if we got like "dragon tokens" to buy something useful. Like a new currency similar in functionality to laurels.

What I've heard and saw on Teq rewards: Mini, skins, rare breathers (underwater mask thing), and some exotic accessories specific to him...may just be one not sure. When we down him with 100+ people...3-4 people linked any of the above rewards...none had the mini. 1 breather, 2 accessories and I can't recall if there was a fourth or not. For me that was 3 nights at 4-5 hours a night on TS with these people attempting...we finally got him last Saturday. Plus a lot of people want his achievements and stuff...I just don't see being able to stay the way it is. Maybe the mechanics, but the scale is going to get reduced at some point....unless they add in some good reason for people to show up. Tokens, guaranteed exotics, whatever.

OpticNerve wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 18:17:
I hope the difficulty stays the same since I like challenging bosses but I agree with you that the rewards need to be better given how tough he is and I think that eventually Arenanet'll add some bigger incentive for downing him. Right now I think there are two specific potential rewards for downing him, which is a modified version of the basic Ascended weapon skins and a minature Teqatl.

Veterator wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 17:22:
OpticNerve wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 16:54:
It also seems like they're planning on reworking some of the World Dragon Bosses so that they're now really tough to defeat. The recent Tequatl the Sunless update event made it so that Tequatl is no longer an afk pushover and a lot of servers have yet to defeat him.

Although there are some people complaining about how tough he is now, I'm glad they did this since World Boss fights shouldn't be easy at all and should be something epic to beat and overcome.

My complaint on the new Tequatl fight is this: He's hard as hell, it takes A LOT of people with a lot of organization to kill him now. So his rewards should be much higher than they are. We're harkening back to EQ days where there'd be 3 good items for 50 people with how it is now, except you can't roll to get them.

Now I think that complaint will go away soonish, because I highly doubt they will leave the fight this hard because no one will kill him if they do...they got other stuff they want to do. We had a lot of our WvW people there to help down him, and there's just no way they will hang out for 5 hours to kill him with how little the time versus reward is WHILE they lose WvW territory during the competitions.

It's fun for a couple weeks, but I just don't see him remaining as hard as he is given the scale you need.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Extended Free Trial This Week; Patch Next Week Sep 24, 2013, 17:22 Veterator

OpticNerve wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 16:54:
It also seems like they're planning on reworking some of the World Dragon Bosses so that they're now really tough to defeat. The recent Tequatl the Sunless update event made it so that Tequatl is no longer an afk pushover and a lot of servers have yet to defeat him.

Although there are some people complaining about how tough he is now, I'm glad they did this since World Boss fights shouldn't be easy at all and should be something epic to beat and overcome.

My complaint on the new Tequatl fight is this: He's hard as hell, it takes A LOT of people with a lot of organization to kill him now. So his rewards should be much higher than they are. We're harkening back to EQ days where there'd be 3 good items for 50 people with how it is now, except you can't roll to get them.

Now I think that complaint will go away soonish, because I highly doubt they will leave the fight this hard because no one will kill him if they do...they got other stuff they want to do. We had a lot of our WvW people there to help down him, and there's just no way they will hang out for 5 hours to kill him with how little the time versus reward is WHILE they lose WvW territory during the competitions.

It's fun for a couple weeks, but I just don't see him remaining as hard as he is given the scale you need.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 19:46 Veterator

I was under the impression that as a power of attorney, doing things for your benefit with other people's property/savings is not in the spirit of it unless expressed by the person whom you are PoA for.

I know my parents were told multiple times that taking money from my grandmother during adding on to their home to bring her there to live...by lawyers and others...that it would cause problems for them later. Especially since my grandmother was suffering from memory issues.

So..... there's got to be more to it if they aren't being looked into right now.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 14:12 Veterator

Zyrxil wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 13:43:
The outrage at the outrage at the outrage of the outrage.

I am outraged you would say something like that. I will be posting on my blog about Zyrxil's outrageous outrage and my outrage at his outrage and how we should all be outraged because of all that outrage.

Follow up tomorrow with "Too much outrage?......................or not enough?"

It's like when I accidentally click a Kotaku article thinking it might be something interesting based on title without looking at the link...then see it load and try to stop it to minimize any potential profit they may make off it. Irritating.

News Comments > SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games
29. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 19:15 Veterator

Julio wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 17:33:
For now its so-called trolls, next week it could be those who are critical of SOE in any way.

Yeah was thinking anything critical, repeated questions as to when they will add a feature they said they would, performance issue woes, etc.

PS2 is rife with problems, and after they get repeated 2 or 3 times in patches months apart...I find it pretty hard to shrug off and not question what the fuck they are doing to "solve" anything. Especially when it leaves the game unplayable or breaks/heavily nerfs something I paid money for.

EQ Next.....with player "free style" content. AND money involved with their auction house of that content....I can't even imagine how irate people are going to get when something breaks/changes there that invalidates weeks or months of their construction.

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
20. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 19:26 Veterator

Maybe I should open a cash shop too. You can support the development of a game and stuff.....yeah.

It won't be pay2win. It will be iwinupay.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Aug 27, 2013, 23:45 Veterator

PropheT wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 23:08:
Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 22:23:
So far only Turbine has done F2P mostly right.

Trion's implementation of RIFT's free to play is by far the best I've seen, actually. Still, in both cases they're PTP games that went free to play and weren't developed that way to begin with; I've yet to see a game actually developed as truly F2p that had the same quality to it.

We'll see how Rift does. I agree it's well done, but Trion is making a lot of drastic changes to their company with, so far, no reason as to why. When they continue to say that Rift is doing well and all that. You just know Defiance is not, it can't be with how the price dropped on it.

News Comments > Forge Goes Free-to-Play
3. Re: Forge Goes Free-to-Play Aug 20, 2013, 00:45 Veterator

LaxerFL wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 23:26:
You still need to buy the game, there is just no monthly fee anymore

News Comments > SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter
11. Re: SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter Aug 18, 2013, 01:58 Veterator

Tom wrote on Aug 18, 2013, 00:48:
Redmask wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 22:09:
Tom wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 12:18:
Heh. You know Minecraft was (and is) written in Java, right?

Previous statement is even more appropriate now.

Well, I certainly wouldn't characterize Minecraft as "slow and clunky". Maybe if you do crazy stuff with it, but just playing the game normally it was always perfectly smooth for me.

A lot of minecraft's performance issues are because it's based on old versions of opengl and what not and needs to be brought up to date to benefit from the newer and faster ways of rendering.

Which they are working on last I heard. And it's server software has some issues that make it perform poorly overtime...memory leak or something.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Videos
8. Re: Battlefield 4 Videos Aug 17, 2013, 03:18 Veterator

The only thing worse than watching people play a game is listening to people describe themselves playing a game. With....well no basis for why this bf4 is better/improved/whatever over the other/last bf.

I used to have a ton of fun with 2142, northern strike hover craft bike thing was super fun. Titan mode..fun.

I'd be way more interested in something more sci-fi like than what they been doing.

Planetside 2 was fun for awhile, but they need to redo and add a lot of content. Class overhauls, new continents, resource revamp.....frankly I think PS2 TTKs are too low atm. You need less bob and craziness in all the weaponry so you can successfully put more bullets into people to compensate for a TTK hike. It's bad when you're dead before you even see the dude who killed you..whose right next to you..according to his client. Completely makes a lot of class skills worthless when you're dead before you even see that you've taken damage.

Sniper rifles, I understand. Tank shells? Sure. SMG, shotgun, etc? No. It's why VS maxes are so damn annoying, their speed let's them exploit the delay to be hitting you before you even see them.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 16, 2013, 10:47 Veterator

And since I RTFA somewhat:

Records show that in the last quarter, the song was streamed around 1.16 million times on Pandora, for which the band splits $42.25 in songwriting royalties. Lowery’s share is $16.89. So he earned about $.000015 per play of the song on Pandora.

He compares this to his royalties from satellite radio company Sirius XM, where “Low” was only played 179 times but earned him $182, a little more than $1 per play.

Then there’s good ol’ fashioned radio, on which the song was played around 18,800 times, and for which he was paid $1,373, or about $.07 per play.

So....Pandora tracks each play. Sirius tracks each time it was broadcast, the same with radio.

So the rates on Sirius and radio depend can't really be compared apples to apples because there's no way of knowing how many people actually heard the song when it was broadcast. Pandora probably pays better if they were able to track them all by who actually heard it when played.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 16, 2013, 10:41 Veterator

InBlack wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 09:59:
Veterator wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 09:14:
How much are artists paid when their music is played on the radio?

At some point these services are also advertisements for their music as much as revenue.

Admittedly, the pay on the play rate is shitty for the play amount. I'm sure Spotify makes a pretty hefty sum off all the advertising they have, plus people subbing to turn them off.

It's just hard to say how far off they are on pay rate without some basis in other mediums. His screenshot is all internet stuff it looks like to me.

I'd also be interested in learning how much musicians make per CD sold to a library versus other CD sales.

Like with books, convenience will make you pay for something you enjoy. But there's a lot of really terrible books out there and authors you will never like. So you might check out a whole lot of books before you find a handful you like enough to buy and follow the authors work.

I know if I ever fire up Spotify, I spend most of my time skipping tracks because most of the music it recommends is nothing like what I was listening to......to my ears at least. I don't know if that's because the selection on Spotify blows or their song algorithms are not very good. So......I don't use Spotify much at all because of this....plus when I finally do find a song I like and stop to listen to it I get an advertisement to go along with it. So it's like getting an ad after every song....

Im a struggling musician (play in 2 bands) that also holds a day job. Its a tough business, and the answer to all of your questions is fuck-all, unless you are getting a ton of airplay and your album is selling like hotcakes. Most musicians, even the big name musicians earn most of their dough from live shows. Touring is where the money is, which is the main reason the biggest names do all of those huge tours. The love of playing live is also a big draw, but playing a show every couple of days and spending the rest of the time traveling for 6 months in a row gets old really quickly after a couple of years on the road.

So, I guess it depends on how you look at the services then. If you expect to make much money, you're going to be disappointed. If you look at them like advertisement and get people playing your music, it sounds like they might work pretty well.

Granted, the problem remains that the people making the money on the music is not the performer. And I think everyone can agree that sucks, but I don't expect it to change just because we can agree.

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation atm. If they don't put their music up on these services, the chance of them picking up fans is going to be crap. However if they do keep putting them in services that don't pay much despite making money off them, it's not going to change.

You'd think the big artists out there interested in making it so they get more direct profit have the resources to tackle this for themselves and others.

503 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo