Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for J W

Real Name J W   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Veterator
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 6, 2007, 06:32
Total Comments 505 (Apprentice)
User ID 41737

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
3. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: TF2 Gifts Jan 18, 2012, 03:39 Veterator

Just another reason to pre-order from Steam at the MSRP. Been watching that stuff for awhile, and most games only get 5-10 dollars off on other platforms on pre-orders. Then the price usually drops off some in the first 1-2 months on a sale through Steam...if you want to have it on Steam.

Or if it's steamworks.....you can order elsewhere for cheaper if you want it. Just won't get the TF2 items.

I honestly don't see any harm in it. Encourages interest from TF2 players in other people's games...and vice versa.

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 21:58:
Is there a lot of crossover between Kingdoms of Amalur and TF2 players?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Dropping RMT in Korea?
18. Re: Diablo III Dropping RMT in Korea? Jan 15, 2012, 04:18 Veterator

Doesn't seem like gambling to me.

Seems to fall under auction status. The randomness is the objects you find and decide to sell. Which is the same for auctions......you find things to sell or decide to sell.

Totally don't agree with how Blizz is starting to handle their games....but TF2 key + crate system is gambling at 2.50 a pop.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Notch on Piracy
26. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch on Piracy Jan 14, 2012, 10:09 Veterator

Mordhaus wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 23:26:
Really, so you support plagiarism, copyright or patent theft, and you feel that you cannot put a price on intellectual capital?

As I said previously, you can rationalize it to yourself however you like; but in making that copy you took something that wasn't yours and that you did not pay for in any way, for your own use. You didn't create it, you copied the creation of someone else without reimbursing them for the effort they put into it. It doesn't matter if you would have bought it in the first place or not, you took something that didn't belong to you. Taking something that doesn't belong to you is...?

To get a little pedantic about it, you could take something from patent designs and make it to their spec. Unless something has changed, you would not be in violation of the law unless you tried to sell it or profit from it.

There's nothing stopping you from recreating each individual piece inside your vehicle...which are based on patent designs. Cost might be limiting you from doing so. But it was one of the ideas behind patents and such that you could reverse engineer something and try to find better ways to do something and patent it.

Now, they have all the clauses that supposedly prevent you from unlocking your phones or reprogramming your Xbox to have more functionality that intended. Especially if you sell them after unlocking/modifying them.

So I don't agree that not paying the original designer of a product that you could just make one yourself that ended up better or cheaper than buying off the shelf is against the law or requires rationalization.

Now applying it to books, media, etc. I agree that they should be afforded protection and copying them is easier and much cheaper than say making a replica of a vehicle. But changing it's format should not be considered a different product. IE, If I have a DVD of a movie and I want a ripped version on my computer....I should be able to do that. But right not, by law, you have violated the DVD copyright protection measures in doing that....they even took software down that allowed you to do this although I don't recall the name of it. So you've broken the law, even though you should be entirely within your rights to transfer the product you own to a different format for consumption by yourself.

Same goes for sitting down and typing an copying a book you own and making an ebook. They would probably try to bust your ass for this, even though technically you should be able to media shift it. They just wouldn't believe that you did that on your own....even if you had the software/hardware setup to automate it. They would probably be able to successfully get you for copyright infringement, even though you never sold it or let anyone see it (even if they did own copies, you'd still be in trouble).

It's just a crazy situation having to pay multiple times for the same thing. And the "digital" version of things being more expensive than the non-digital and less restricted versions of them. Digital right now = costs more. When it should be costs less and sell more. Individual authors are catching onto that, the big publishers are not.....and it's in their best interest to sell high because they keep an absorbent fee something like 75-90% of the book price whether it's digital or paper.

I imagine it's much the same for the game publishing houses....and it's certainly so for the movie industry where nothing ever makes money despite all the money it brings in.

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Next Week
7. Re: The Old Republic Update Next Week Jan 13, 2012, 07:04 Veterator

Jonny wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 04:51:
While I enjoy TOR's leveling reasonably well, it's a Bioware singleplayer game with other people running around, the game at 50 is a huge turn around to anyone who isn't a traditional MMO fan.

Instances, raids or PvP. Ooh! And we're adding more instances and more raids and more PvP!

It's a bit of a bugger, they've copied vanilla WoW so heavily that they've just copied it's Raid or Die endgame as well. Even if you enjoy a bit of PvP like I do that just leaves you with endless warzone grinding or Ilum, a planet distilled from pure tedium.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but Rift with it's solo dungeons, MoP upcoming with it's trinity less skirmishes and Pokemon or GW2 are all expanding what they offer for people to do at endgame. I'd have thought that given their focus on casual MMO players and singleplayer RPG fans TOR would have been at the forefront of that kind of shift, not several years behind it.

Companions......the future!

Actually companions are replacements for the mechanic they used to advertise where people could switch out their roles and become healers/tanks at the push of a button. So you gain a companion but lose the ability to supplement your abilities while in groups....ends up making you weaker than when you are solo.

So I suspect that in the future they will make companions available when you are in a full group.. probably after an expansion.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Notch on Piracy
17. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch on Piracy Jan 13, 2012, 00:24 Veterator

Games could use a little more frivolity when it comes to their development and experience.

Games and "super strictness" don't seem to mesh well together.

That is not to say that you shouldn't make money off your game, but balance that expectation against the fact that you are MAKING A GAME.

Hell some car manufacturers encourage people to have more fun with a thing that could be used to mow down a crowd of people than game developers do with their games. Game devs try to lock every aspect of it down and then yell at you some more after it's released just for good measure.

Games have become this kind of weird abusive relationship, where you are supposed to hand over you money whenever they release something and then take all the accusations and product problems with a smile on your face.....or else.

News Comments > DC Universe Online Turns One
1. Re: DC Universe Online Turns One Jan 12, 2012, 00:32 Veterator

More than 1.8 million registered players on PC, and more than 2.3 million registered players on PS3

3.6 million days of playtime total by all players in-game

1.8+2.3 = 4.1 million register accounts total.

Which means they have half a million accounts or more who've never played an entire day of their game. Probably many many more.

That doesn't seem like a good endorsement.

DCUO, can't get people to play even 24 hours of their game before quitting.

Wonder what those numbers looked like prior to them going F2P.

News Comments > BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up
12. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 00:23 Veterator

The people who are really good at games tend to get so by going up against people who are also really good at the game most of the time they play. Their scores should not be outlandish against these people (and therefore their overalls shouldn't be crazy high), and if they are found to be spending lots of time in random "pub" servers I believe their "Im just good" explanation less.

This is especially true for those people who spend a lot of time on foot, vehicles have been more about finding a sweet spot or hard to beat grounds and demolishing people there. Even so, outlandish scores in vehicles are evident......since you'd have to be nuts to continue to walk into this guy's "believable" kill zone. So he's either using something to get outrageous kills or he's just utterly ruining the game experience of a lot of other people.

Which, cheating or not, if you got a guy whose ruining the game experience for 100+ other people...he may not deserve a ban from game but it would be nice if whatever he is doing to grief is stopped. Whether it be an exploit or him having 2-3 friends prop him up.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up
45. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 16:46 Veterator

You mean the posted speed limits?

Do they have signs next to the chests that say you can only loot them x many times an hour/day?

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Jan 1, 2012, 22:04 Veterator

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 19:47:
Anyone want to trade me a piece of coal for a game? Can get me the trade achievement and maybe a game that i don't already have. I have a few things available to trade:

Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey
Dwarfs!? 50% off coupon
Valve 33% off coupon
Defense Grid
I'd take oddworld, got 3 coals...want to keep at least 1 so I got an entry in the drawing. I got so many coupons, Im sure they will all rot unless they do some kind of weird sale and coupons stack on top.

News Comments > The Old Republic Bans?
34. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 22:00 Veterator

Not a fan of games that don't ban people who obviously cheating...wow is pretty bad about letting it go on for months.

But also not a fan of games that ban for things you are capable of doing in the game that may be unintended or overlooked but still capable of doing them. Especially if they do not warn you IN GAME about it. Having to read forums and emails to find out you are walking on the wrong path and they'd prefer you use the other is not a good way to do things.

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 21:27 Veterator

space captain wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 11:59:
Veterator wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 02:52:
Yes you are right, no one should ever do anything to correct the cases of abuse. It's the path to ruin. Ignoring it makes it much better.

Domestic abuse? Police should beat the wife some more, because the husband obviously knows something we don't know...if he wasn't beating her she might become a female hitler.

Pedophilia? Those children asked for it, you don't know it's speculation to assume they didn't.

Animal abuse? Those dogs were probably going to bite someone someday, so better to make them live in their own filth and fight for our amusement.

The people who stop these things are not "good guys", and it's obviously not what the world needs.....space captain has told you. So fuck it.

oh yeh, what was i thinking?? this "PAX vs PR dept" shit is exactly like domestic abuse and pedophilia!

your absolutist stance is only an inability to comprehend reality, not some kind of "discerning wisdom".. that takes something you aint got

Ignoring abuse is ignoring abuse. Once you stop ignoring it, then you fit the punishment to the crime.

This guy hasn't been jailed for his abuse, but lost his job (as Im sure is commonplace when someone fails to perform their job to satisfaction of the employer/business partner) and had some public humiliation (which I don't think he quite considers humiliation but advertising). He may end up jailed for blackmail and holding digital property from it's rightful owners, but that's just another poor decision on his part.

The rest of it was sarcasm on the speculation. And blindly ignoring his history of abusing other customers, which he backpedaled on when brought to the public's attention. His decisions were his own, and if he hadn't acted as such there would be nothing to cause public outrage. Bottom line is, he didn't learn from his mistakes in past..continued to repeat them and I still don't think he's learned.

Arguing that it's commonplace in the business world doesn't magically make it right...if you want to get into inability to comprehend reality and "discerning wisdom". For that matter, sexual harassment was commonplace in the business world, and they have laws governing it now. Does that mean sexual harassment was OK since it was technically legal in the past?

And before we go through the apples and oranges argument. Sexual harassment can be JUST words, much like berating a customer through email is JUST words. You should show me some skin, and you know your boss will take my word over yours because I know the CEO of the company, the mayor of Boston, the Yellow Power Ranger, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Mike Krahulik.

Funny video parodying this for whomever may care: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqV9kx40RG0

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 21:06 Veterator

Sarcasm. *woosh*

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 13:26:
Veterator wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 02:52:
Yes you are right, no one should ever do anything to correct the cases of abuse. It's the path to ruin. Ignoring it makes it much better.

The people who stop these things are not "good guys", and it's obviously not what the world needs.....space captain has told you. So fuck it.
What are you prattling on about? Because I don't think I've read anything quite so stupid since the original email by captain elroid douchebag himself over this entire affair. It's always fun to see someone try to take something and make it into the grandest ideological battle of the century, instead of what a person is. Damn PCness run amok, I mean we'd better not hurt the roiders feelings. He might cry in a fit of vein popping rage or something.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 02:52 Veterator

space captain wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 01:24:
maybe the whole company is a piece of shit, and now they are gonna be around longer because they've appeased people by firing this asshole.. and will be able to scam more people out of there money, etc. so its actually a BAD thing he got fired instead of taking the whole place down with him

who knows.. you can play the speculative angle all day long, it doesnt impress me or "justify" anything for me.. its guesswork

in general, if the world ran "the way it should" then everything would be a utopia and we would all ride unicorns across rainbow bridges to gumdrop fields and so on.. but its not, so there is way more than enough "shoulda woulda coulda" to go around.. this shit is ridiculously petty in a comparative sense, its commonplace, and the entire business world is basically a fucking cesspool of "wrongful" actions... people just approve of it when its "legal" or "politically correct"

so fuck it, go ahead and go berzerker on this fool and then pat yourself on the back for being a "good guy", its just what we need, let me tell you

Domestic abuse? Police should beat the wife some more, because the husband obviously knows something we don't know...if he wasn't beating her she might become a female hitler.

Pedophilia? Those children asked for it, you don't know it's speculation to assume they didn't.

Animal abuse? Those dogs were probably going to bite someone someday, so better to make them live in their own filth and fight for our amusement.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Jan 1, 2012, 01:09 Veterator

space captain wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 00:54:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 31, 2011, 22:10:
Christoforo was doing his job poorly and that was brought to light, resulting in him being fired. Had Krahulik not gotten involved, that probably wouldn't have happened.

thanks for the prophecy ms cleo, but thats pure speculation when you get down to it

none of it "really matters" its just another day on the OMG!! EPIC FAIL! LULZ! just sayin.. internet

Actually there's been a website floating around for a year where Christoforo did something very similar to here to someone else...they just never linked it to PA. So he spent the rest of that time berating how many other customers until Dave included Krahulik in on the conversation.

I think the guy would still be raging out on people whose money he was holding right now if it hadn't been for PA.

Link to website: http://www.natesnetwork.com/Poor-customer-service

He has updated, the original stuff is at the bottom of the site. You'll note Christoforo reversed his attitude when the guy posted all the stuff up for the public to see, but it never got picked up by the big outfits.

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2012, 01:14.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Dec 31, 2011, 20:07 Veterator

Wish sites would stop driving traffic to articles like that. Because agree with it or not, you are supporting them to continue taking arguments and making completely pointless articles that skew everything beyond a reasonable argument.

If Kotaku saw that their more moderate, factual and genuine less crazily developed "opinion" pages got more hits than ones like this...they'd hopefully stop employing people whose job it is to make frivolous arguments for the sole purpose of page views.

It comes down to the Christoforos being responsible for his actions. If he had not written that stuff and responded in that manner, no one would be up in arms over this. But he did, and he got called out on it....and then he continued to blame everyone else for his choices.

And on top of it all, he holds what digital resources he has hostage AFTER he has already pissed off a whole lot of people. I mean the guy is an idiot, and he only backs down when he's dragged into the light and gets negative attention for it. If you can't be reasonable until a whole fucking load of people tell you that you're asshole and treat you poorly because of it, well that's just how people have to deal with you then each time you act like that....some public humiliation and backlash.

And to top it all off, he claims his kids and wife are being harmed by this and it's everyone's fault. And he CONTINUES to a dirt bag resulting in even more scorn being thrown his way and in turn his family. At this point, there is no reasonable person who is going to say this guy did not bring this whole thing down upon his head at least three times over.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M
13. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 Passes $2M Dec 27, 2011, 05:23 Veterator

Plus being one of the first and having charities associated with it gives it a higher profile. But yes I think their game selection AND them giving out extra stuff each bundle keeps people coming back including the previous bundle and what not.

News Comments > The Old Republic Queue Fixes & Content Coming
2. Re: The Old Republic Queue Fixes & Content Coming Dec 24, 2011, 00:25 Veterator

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 23, 2011, 22:37:
I hope the content updates are all these kinds of things. That way I feel no temptation to resubscribe until an expansion comes out.

So why are you not resubscribing? I was in beta and had no desire to buy the game because it was not very engaging to me and was rather disappointing as a big budget MMO.

News Comments > EA/Activision Lawsuit Moves Forward
25. Re: EA/Activision Lawsuit Moves Forward Dec 23, 2011, 23:07 Veterator

venomhed wrote on Dec 23, 2011, 13:03:
The main problem in all this is money and the profit motive which spurns on competition.

IF the profit motive were severely diminished or removed entirely and cooperation replaced competition, we would all be better off as a species.

I think just having laws enforced against entities more strictly than they are enforced against the people would be a big step. Right now it's reversed, think Bernie Madoff versus any Wall street outfit that participated in the mortgage tampering. The scale of both given the size of the guilty party scales about right. Madoff hit enough people that most people knew someone through a friend of a friend at least. WS Mortgage guys hit everyone, directly or indirectly.

Madoff, while he could have been punished worse was skewered and burned at the stake compared to what the corporations and the people manning then did via the mortgage ordeal. Hell, we paid them for fucking us.

The letter of the law AND the spirit of the law are ignored when it comes to corporations due to how they insinuate themselves into the government on a multitude of levels. And when it comes to people hurting the wrong corporations or people, the letter and spirit of the law are increased tenfold when it comes time for punishment. Think stealing millions from a well connected billionaire versus a guy who steals 10 grand from someone who makes 20 grand a year.

My favorite example of thought experiment would be the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. BP was not following safety regulations, in fact the US safety regulations have become more lax over the years despite the technology to make things more safe. Mostly through the non-enforcement by watchdog groups, because the companies they watchdog were fucking hiring them for massive salaries.

So take what you know of it, how much or little it may be. Then substitute in a small corporation just trying to get into the oil game. Could they have gotten away with lax safety precautions? Would they still be operating in the US after they basically wiped out the livelihood of hundreds of thousands of people? Would the sicknesses associated with exposure to this spill be covered up?

Now substitute that small corporation with an individual. Would that individual be in jail now?

Now, apply that kind of thinking to everything corporations do. If SOLE person did what they do.....would that person be free to continue doing so next year?

Now, you can ask yourself why it's acceptable in nearly all corporate involved incidents. And then realize that their very existence is allowed by the government through corporate charters which can be revoked at any time. Their belongings could be seized, their wealth frozen, and they could be systematically dismantled or sold to fix what they destroyed. Yet an individual is punished like this except for his life being taken, but a corporation with no life to give is not punished in a way that makes a whole lot of sense and was designed to be so. They'll say too big to fail, and I don't consider that an excuse. That's like saying "Too rich to die", and we all know how that ends up.....Steve Jobs for example. BTW: How did Steve get a liver transplant at his age and presumably with cancer...and so fast?

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 2011, 03:47.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 23, 2011, 22:38 Veterator

Springboard jobs. Get into a fairly well known company, use it to move to a better job as soon as possible.

1) Congratulations to the guy for actually hiring entry level people. There's this weird leap in the tech world where a 4 year degree should mean you are entry level ready for fast track training. But as soon as you are trained you are expected to endure at least as much time as your training took at the lower pay rate. Then the 4 year degree becomes 4 years experience, and your 1-2 years on the job now becomes 6 years experience and you are not even a "junior" in your field but only a mere year or two away from being a "senior" level.

2) He has obvious issues yet seems to be unable to grasp that people don't want to work for a fraction of what they could be getting paid. They have school loans to pay back in most cases and would like to start earning. So Im guessing that the work environment is not good enough to make up for the lack of pay or it's so horrible they'd rather get paid the same in a better environment.

3) More companies should hire their own entry people, scalping from the existing work force is why so many people are having trouble finding jobs. They won't hire people who are not currently working in most cases and that's just a stupid way of thinking. You'd rather hire someone who is willing to bail on their existing job for a couple grand more a year or hire someone new who if treated properly would be grateful for the opportunity. Unwillingness to hire entry level just creates an artificially smaller workforce pool, and while they may be more proficient at certain things it doesn't mean they are going to do better work than an entry level once the entry is trained for 6 months.

And bottom line: 20 and 30 somethings are being told by their parents to take more money and better opportunity every time it's offered. Because their parents have seen that loyalty is never rewarded. Hell if you are 30 and you see your parents are now out of work after working at a place for 20 years...would you risk ending up like that? Most people look at working for one company 10+ years as you not having the skill set, work ethic, or drive to make more money working elsewhere. It's all about the money now. It shouldn't be pure monetary basis, but that's what the US has stumbled into......Looooonnngggg hours, no vacation time, few sick days, job hopping every 3 years, and willingness to move anywhere at anytime for any job. Because you were born to prove your dollar worth.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2011, 04:50 Veterator

Should probably have called it Transformer Greyskull.

Or transformer Skeletor.

505 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo