Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for J W

Real Name J W   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Veterator
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 6, 2007, 06:32
Total Comments 493 (Amateur)
User ID 41737

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Walking Dead Website; FAQ, Talk Show
5. Re: The Walking Dead Website; FAQ, Talk Show Feb 16, 2012, 00:28 Veterator

Well, the latest episode of The Walking Dead tv show was not very good. Bar scene couldn't save it. Hopefully it's a build up episode to a much better one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up
48. Re: Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up Feb 1, 2012, 11:33 Veterator

I don't envy admins, I've seen far too many of them spend most of their evening investigating cheaters, banning, and then having to put up with people who are stacking teams or just generally ruining the experience for everyone else on the server through attitude or commentary.

Cheating is by far the most time consuming to investigate, and TF2 has the tools to allow someone to determine it......if they spend the time to catch the recordings and playback through them. They may not be perfect, but it's more than games want to offer anymore.

The real thrust of the problem is that unless there is an admin around, it's a huge pain in the ass to report them since most of it's not in game. I think it should be standard fare anymore to have the tools to prove cheating, but they should also go a step further and allow for people to submit cheating on a case by case while in game.

Then allow the admins to filter by how many reports there where in a specific period, and try to narrow it down by the timing as to when to check the logs. Or if one guy is constantly calling out people for cheating, just throw all of his complaints in the trash automatically.

It could certainly be made easier....because I don't think they can provide a fullproof system to prevent cheats, but they can certainly provide a full proof lock out system to ban people from servers and report them on up for account bans to the game developers/publishers. It's just a matter of capturing the evidence and passing it up for review. And I think it's intentional on their part to cut out those tools...so they can't be expected to review them. But in this case, the stat profiles are yet another avenue they should be using. Although I suspect the stat profiles may not be 100% proof since servers/intrusions/whatever could tamper with the numbers and provide false hits.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2012, 11:21 Veterator

Halo wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 20:46:
Nobody ever seems upset that prisoners are used as free (well you and i pay for it) labor for a good amount of corporations and the US military supplies. 5% of the world are Americans 25% of the worlds prisoners are american. The best reintroduction of slave labor if I have ever seen it.

It's not that they are working that concerns me as much as them having an easy supply of labor by just putting a few new laws on the books or enforcing vague ones with a little more stringency or arranging for their labor force to stay longer. That's the most concerning aspect, and I think it covers the next most concerning aspect.....because if they didn't have a readily and potential expanding workforce....the contracts they have wouldn't be possible to maintain.

So obviously second aspect is that they are taking people off the streets, putting them to work...when if they could have gotten the job they were doing in prison while they were free at a prevailing wage (like most government contract work is) then they may not have ended up in jail.

Break the most concerning aspect which affects us all, since we could just as easily be the next "heinous offender" flavor of the week. Then we can address number 2, moving prison labor jobs into the free market like they should be. Because government and corporations generating profit from handling criminals (questionable or legitimate crimes) is like a for profit health system, it leads down path of most profit and not best practices.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 1, 2012, 11:09 Veterator

Don't see how Best Buy will be more successful in China when they've failed here. I mean they will be literally be competing against a guy selling counterfeit items on the corner.

News Comments > Rovio Positive About Piracy
28. Re: Rovio Positive About Piracy Jan 31, 2012, 20:30 Veterator

Ruffiana wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 19:00:
Veterator wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 16:15:
I still wonder what kind of money the major DRM scheme out there cost on a per title basis.

I am not willing to drop 40+ dollars on games anymore. Just because the chance of said game, even if it's a sequel to something I liked, sucking or being bug ridden, etc is just too high.

And I still avoid the stupidly DRM-heavy titles even after it's 5 bucks, because I just don't want to deal with the bullshit.

So piracy may be a factor, but just flat out overpricing, under delivering, nickel and dime tactics, and outrageous DRM "hoops"....they have all definitely factored into my purchasing decisions.

All of those are legimate reasons to not buy a game. There is no legitimate reason to pirate a game because games are purely products for luxury and entertainment...it's all just rationalizations for entitlement and self-gratification.

Yes, they are reasons to not buy a game, but it's easier for them to imply that Im probably a pirate for not buying their game than actually realizing WHY I am not buying it. Ubisoft is a big proponent of shaft-legitimate buyers DRM. They keep telling us how piracy is just destroying their market......so they pile on more DRM. Piracy is not a catch all argument like people pretend it is. People pirate, you focus too much on them and you lose the people who want to buy PC games but just get fed up with your BS.

It's like trying to get the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, and then blaming everyone else when they realize how spectacularly stupid that goal is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 16:32 Veterator

Didn't read the article yet, but I am of the opinion that distribution channels are the things media execs are targeting.

Megaupload was used for legitimate business that is providing people with access to things not in the interest of the content industries, especially if they are not getting paid in the process of this distribution.

The more stuff they can have quashed as a byproduct of "copyright infringement" accusations....the better for them. They've already caused other MU-like sites to change the way the distribution works....non-shareable.

If you can give your stuff away for free and still get paid for every thousand hits....and do that with multiple files. You might just make a living, outside of the influence of big media.....until they take down the site you host it on.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 16:22 Veterator

Yes, they should boycott and in protest send half of what they would have spent on an Apple product to some charity in my name and the other half to me.

Phew, good thing I was here to answer this.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 31, 2012, 16:20 Veterator

I like to believe the absolute worst when it comes to media anymore. In this case it would be doing this intentionally to create more piracy to prove their need for more laws to prevent piracy......because they TRIED everything else......obviously.

News Comments > Rovio Positive About Piracy
14. Re: Rovio Positive About Piracy Jan 31, 2012, 16:15 Veterator

I still wonder what kind of money the major DRM scheme out there cost on a per title basis.

I am not willing to drop 40+ dollars on games anymore. Just because the chance of said game, even if it's a sequel to something I liked, sucking or being bug ridden, etc is just too high.

If I wait 1-2 years, I get a fully patched game for 5-10 bucks most of the time. And the ones that don't drop in price CoD and Blizzard titles...I really don't care for anyway.

And I still avoid the stupidly DRM-heavy titles even after it's 5 bucks, because I just don't want to deal with the bullshit.

So piracy may be a factor, but just flat out overpricing, under delivering, nickel and dime tactics, and outrageous DRM "hoops"....they have all definitely factored into my purchasing decisions. Yet I rarely see developers even consider that perhaps their efforts are like throwing gasoline on a fire.....giving people even less reasons to buy (which of course means they are now a pirate, because there's no way someone can say no to a game....they are like crack
......right?......right?........hello?........fanboys?.......hell we lost the fanboys too?).

News Comments > EverQuest Going Free-to-Play
24. Re: EverQuest Going Free-to-Play Jan 31, 2012, 15:56 Veterator

They have stated before that they only want to spend time and resources on original IP which they own.

That statement coupled with Vanguard withering at their hands. I don't think they will support it. Im guessing they got it for pennies, milked the money out of it as best they could and kept it from competing with their games without them getting a cut.

Whole Vanguard situation still pisses me off. It looked to be a really good game, but it crashed constantly for me, was like magic with the memory leaks..every 30 something odd minutes I'd crash at a higher resolution, turn it down and it'd extend to about an hour....but I'd crash like clockwork. And it was in a game where dieing meant you got majorly screwed, not a good combination.

News Comments > TERA Region Blocking
10. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 15:50 Veterator

So they are being geographic-ist.

18. Re: EverQuest Going Free-to-Play Jan 31, 2012, 09:13 Veterator

Shok wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 08:26:

I can see me liking the visit back to EQ up until the point that I leave a zone and see that "Loading, please wait..." screen. WoW's seamless world has spoiled me.

If they still have the same pathing and aggro system.....the trains in a seamless world would be.........monumental.

I just remember what Mistmoore and Unrest were like with the trains...insanity.

14. Re: EverQuest Going Free-to-Play Jan 31, 2012, 05:11 Veterator

Tried playing my old druid on a free month a couple years back and I was just lost. I'd have to start a new guy to even begin to learn about the game without getting my guy killed a dozen times in the process of learning and potentially losing all my stuff.

I'd be willing to try it, but I doubt I'd give it much time to grow on me. SOE is not on my "Oh they'll take care of" list....it's sad they are one of the few successful MMO developers and have had one of the bigger selections but just end up nosing them all into the ground.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Is it lega to stop people from selling their used games? Jan 31, 2012, 03:05 Veterator

No, but it's easier to attempt to stop it than make games people want to keep and play more than once.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up
41. Re: Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up Jan 31, 2012, 02:55 Veterator

Most hacks/cheaters aren't going to be obvious about it. They want you to be their buddies and hang out with other people in game. So they aren't going to go out of their way to cheat/exploit/etc in obvious ways. They get you to go along with their "people are just that good" mantra. Then the more obvious "good"/cheating ..... if they are of the caliber of player you think exist in droves, they should be competing in the competitions and walking away as a top 10. If they didn't compete in a place that prevents cheating to a higher order than online play......then you can't reasonable expect what they claim to be true.

I would attribute the less subtle hacks to the game being f-in expensive to keep having to buy a new copy if you get caught cheating. So that means their banning/punishment methods are somewhat effective, even if their cheat detection isn't.

And I've seen plenty of cheaters in games, subtle and blatant. I even caught a friend cheating in WoW, and he tried to deny it because he knew I loathed the bots and stuff people employed in WoW that were slowly infesting battlegrounds matches and such. He stuck to the story for a long bit, until I caught him 2 more times and told him if he wasn't botting I think his account was being used without his knowledge. Then he told me the truth, which I knew all along........he was turning on a bot for about 4-5 hours of the day to queue up for and play battlegrounds. He'd play just enough of the day doing other things that you'd think he was around and afk or just not paying attention when the bot was on.

After I learned he was a bot, I saw other people follow the same path as him and play just like him when he was botting...and I found that about half the population in BGs were bots when you played during the lean population hours. I think it had profiles for each type of class, even caught a feral druid that would cat form and cloak a pattern each and every map. He'd walk a loop on one from point to point, and on another he'd make like a T pattern. Just repeating them over and over and over if no one detected him and killed him as soon as he was hit, he'd fight. Even if he had 6-7 players on him. No thinking whatsoever in combat was the prime example of a bot, they wouldn't change the way they did anything. When they died...they'd walk the same path.

And I realize it's not the same with FPS games, but I think it hints at a person's ability to justify their cheating as an "edge" that others are probably using so they should too. Otherwise they are chumps for putting in the time and effort to actually be earn their abilities/place.

It doesn't become cheating when you justify it by saying EVERYONE does it, and the only people who don't are just stupid (You don't use this and keep losing = not fun, so why wouldn't you use this and win - fun?....stupid)/poor(they probably can't afford the up front cost or monthly subscription some hack sites want for their hacks.....cheap mofos)/whiners (They are just jealous of my.....their hacks aren't as good as mine......it's fun to win, so why don't they just win and quit whining.....all of the players on their team has lower scores than our lowest player....they just suck, despite our higher player having more score than our team AND theirs combined....but it's the team supporting him...yeah that's the ticket).

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 30, 2012, 23:31 Veterator

I think we should apply it to physical goods. What would happen if the owners of a mall were found to be doing something potentially illegal, like being accused of making or distributing illegal DVD copies.

Would the entire mall be frozen, including all subsidiary shops that only rent space from the mall? I mean their store COULD be used to hide some of the production....so you can't let the store come in and take everything without looking first.

So they lock it all down......do they ever let the store recover it's goods? Or does the store write them off as a loss?

Now a storage unit rental place. If they are found to have a meth lab on the property, they freeze everything. Does that mean since the rental place owners can no longer receive rent payments from people renting they can run around and lock all the doors and sell off the contents later?

This is a case of, corporations digital property being "worth something" and everything else is considered worthless. I think people should absolutely sue to get their digital property rights established. Especially if it's a major source of income for them. And by doing so they may create a situation where the government has to realize that many of the tools out there have purposes beyond piracy, despite what the record labels tell them.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 30, 2012, 23:15 Veterator

Wait a year or two and get the game new for 5-10 bucks...once the studio has went out of business.

There's a disconnect in thinking there. They want maximum profits, people want the most they can get. Always has been this way. But by the publishers and studios FORCING people to either buy at inflated prices for the content or wait for prices to drop, they essentially put the developer out of business.

I think it's amusing to see Indies who bend over backwards to make people happy succeed, and published studios basically tell people to kiss their asses end up not existing a year or two later. Except in the second half of that sentence, the excuse is PIRACCCCYYYY tuk er juuuubbss.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2012, 11:46 Veterator

Anytime I see "Good News Everyone!".....I hear the professor's voice for at least that much of it.

19. Re: If the feds can shut down Megaupload, why do we need SOPA? Jan 24, 2012, 11:44 Veterator

Beamer wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 10:46:
No doubt corporations are basically sociopaths (as is Erin Brockovich, for that matter, just look at what she's doing now) but this whole strong-arming the conflict of interest doesn't happen.

If it did it would just be lost revenues for top attorneys, who would complain to the ABA, who would change the rules, as the ABA basically does whatever the big firms tell it to.

Like with all things, easier money tends to rule the day. Judging by how hot button the MegaUpload thing is, and how it would set a nice precedent for RIAA and MPAA, along with the enforcement agencies. Plus the nice 20+ million dollar bounty there is up for grabs if they manage to convict in the goal of splitting assets. I think they'd be willing to help the law firm smooth out it's revenue woes.

They are basically setting up a case for the future takedowns and/or censorship of any online medium which could be used to propagate piracy...wherever it may be. And no matter what the outcome of the case, it's another argument to be made for the case of a SOPA/PIPA like law.

If they win, it's SOPA/PIPA will reduce the cost of these investigations by........

If they lose, it will be more campaign donations and SOPA/PIPA is needed to make it so we can prosecute the next dotcom.

It shrinks the distribution channels of piracy, but also for legitimate indie artists who provide free alternatives to the RIAA/MPAA stuff. And just general alternative content to be had, youtube makes it pretty easy for people to take down your stuff via "report as offensive"......not so much with the others.

17. Re: If the feds can shut down Megaupload, why do we need SOPA? Jan 24, 2012, 10:40 Veterator

Beamer wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 09:33:
Veterator - no, your theory does not work. It's very rare that a law firm goes after both sides. If a law firm defends someone distributing tainted beef it does not go after people that distribute tainted beef and vice versa. Firms, and lawyers, tend to either defend or go after. While each makes exceptions to this based upon the circumstances, law firms specialize in things, and it's difficult to specialize in working with corporations and working against them, even from a mere standpoint of justifying to your clients why you do this. People would not want a firm famous for getting a corporation off helping them take a similar one down. Corporations would not want to get cozy with a firm famous for taking their peers down.

It's not that the law firm essentially knows that they've dealt with the company directly. It could be a subsidiary that does advertising under another name. But both companies being blanketed by the same parent corporation.

It could be on something where they are going after someone who is using or messing with their trademark. A really small subsidiary, which would appear to be a small business and they tie up a firm who represents small businesses and/or individuals in fighting the big guys.

A corporation wouldn't necessarily want to be cozy with them, just have them unable to act against them. And conflict of interest is a way to get that accomplished. I suspect it's why you see a lot of virtually unknown lawyers taking cases, because they are not mired in the conflicts of interest through any firm like more established lawyers would be.

Hell the Erin Brockovich case the movie was based on had a different form of conflict of interest in which the judges were known to have associated with the lawyers involved.

But hiring lawyers to do small tasks is a fairly cheap way to avoid issues with them in the future, they'd have to fight the conflict of interest claim before they could even start with the actual issue at hand.

So I think my theory holds up fine. Corporations are basically sociopaths, you can't assume they don't do any underhanded thing they can to get an edge. In this case, legally preventing the ability of people to present the best defense possible by taking the top lawyer out of the equation. Once they name the client claiming conflict, then we'll know. Im betting it doesn't get announced.

493 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo