Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for J W

Real Name J W   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Veterator
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 6, 2007, 06:32
Total Comments 493 (Amateur)
User ID 41737

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tribes Ascend on Steam
15. Re: Tribes Ascend on Steam Jun 28, 2012, 08:29 Veterator

Been playing for a few months fairly regularly and some before that less frequently. Think I first got into beta back in November of 2011 or so.

I bought a 50 dollar bundle once they revised it a bit to give more gold and be a better deal IMO with the daily deals giving discounts.

However, HiRez seems to fail pretty badly at slowly decreasing their prices and adding things in some kind of way that isn't akin to slapping their existing customers in the face.

The first bundles they had included boosts...which are great if you can actually use them regularly during the period. If you buy it and get screwed out of the time, back then you got NOTHING for that boost if you didn't play. Then they changed boost so you'd get some XP each day you had it regardless if you played or not.

Then the way they release bundles. They release them in 3 forms on the first week: Weapons only, Weapons only with one skin, and two skins with all the weapons. No problem so far. But week after they remove the weapon bundles. Now I don't really care about skins, but if you did the all inclusive packs aren't so bad on price........but they aren't better if you wait for the stuff to be 60+ percent off by a large margin. If you want the weapons pack....you're SOL after the first week of it's release.

Then they dump these huge packs of stuff for a fairly decent price....there's no way to buy a more selective part of those packs so you're rebuying things you already have (like rebuying classes, I find that extremely annoying).

So you buy the bundle with only gold. Get a weapon pack or two, and then you have to wait on daily deals if you don't want to pay for things over and over in these bundles they pump out to include classes and such plus all those new "slightly different" weapons.

And then on top of all that, they changed then way the XP system worked after they gave you this double XP weekend and you've already spent it on upgrades that no longer friggin matter over time. You could have literally just use the stuff to get the upgrades and earn XP and kept all that XP to unlock more stuff.. This one really pisses me off because had I been informed I would have kept all that XP. People say they warned us, but I never saw it.

So......in other words. Unless you don't mind getting screwed over.

Don't buy things unless they are on daily deals for 60% or more off.

Don't spend XP on upgrades, only unlocking new things.

Boost only when you KNOW you're going to use it, otherwise it's near a total waste of money....I boosted on double XP weekend felt it was worth it at the time until they changed the way XP worked.

I know they really don't care that it pisses a lot of their players off because they have a large vocal majority who back nearly anything they do on the forums. But operating that once you pay them and you get gold...your opinion no longer matters is kind of a shitty way to operate. I know gold means nothing to them since it's a one way transaction, but I'm spending it only on deep discounted items because it's going to be the last bit of money I pay toward that game.

Plus they have a LOT of trolls who join CTF, get the flag and just troll the hell out of the server by holding it endlessly or map exploiting to drag it out to the full 25+ minutes each round. And it's only getting worse because they don't ban these peckers....especially since it's so damn obvious to see that holding a flag for 20 minutes should be pretty much impossible in any non-stacked non-troll game.

Very frustrated with them. And posting any of this on their forums results is nothing but troll posts in return. QQ more, etc. So I don't expect it to change, since they don't discourage the attitude.....anywhere.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 27, 2012, 01:42 Veterator

So, a bunch of channels exist simply because they are tied to the channels people want. And in return the channels people want more or less dictate the overall fixed price that consumers pay.

And they are arguing that the lesser channels would outright die if left to stand on their own. Whose watching them now for them to exist? How did they come into existence if seemingly no one wanted them in the first place? Or is their audience so spread out that offering them on cable is pointless in the first place?

It seems to me putting the money back in consumer hands in this situation would allow them to nurture other delivery methods IF THE GOVERNMENT WOULD SET OUT TO PROTECT THEM. I mean seriously....they let RIAA/MPAA/whoever attack everything and force crazy pricing schemes on new avenues of delivery so there is nothing BUT cable, on demand, etc. And they can do this because everything is controlled by a small handful of companies who wish they would have come up with the idea first and monetized it effectively themselves.

Seems like for anything to actually be created and survive it has to support the big companies in their anti-piracy witch-hunt by responding to every little complaint they have. And then marking everything up way past the profit margins they'd need to make a healthy profit so they can meet the ever rising licensing costs on older and older content.

And no one says.........hey.....that doesn't make sense. We have the tech to make all of this stuff cheaper. And they've already sucked most of the profit they're going to earn from that 8 year old film already.....why is the price going up?

News Comments > Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise
61. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 23, 2012, 01:53 Veterator

Thumps up cappy, makes sense to me and is exactly what you see in my area. Hell the government is starting to bleed employees at this point and cutting contract spending, so all the contractors are bleeding employees. I think what we have here is an economic balance that could easy tumble right back down the cliff. It certainly doesn't look like it's going to start running again with how everything is going.

Businesses are laying off and failing every month, where the month before they were reporting "growth". Can't believe anything anymore, it seems all of it's based on indicators that really in the end mean nothing.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jun 23, 2012, 01:35 Veterator

Destroy what you love comes to mind. They are basically making it even more unlikely to retain players and impossible to pick up new players.

Would you play a game where the devs hand out stuff and got caught, people exploit and don't get removed, and generally everyone seems out to do whatever "because I can LoL".

If any game proves that consoles are vulnerable to hacks, Im betting their new console game will be it....the culture their games attracts is ......something.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week
41. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week Jun 22, 2012, 18:50 Veterator

Squirmer wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 10:21:
Veterator wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 06:19:
Yeah I heard good things about it. But it's been like that with other games and I ended up being disappointed with what they thought was fun. I mean it's kind of general rule that I like to try games first, especially if I am going to be paying full price. MMOs are just one of those things, even fixed price MMOs because GW had 4(?) expansions, I suspect GW2 will have a number of expansions you'll need to continue to on soon enough resulting in a good 150-200 dollar investment if you buy them as they are released.

I totally understand not buying something without trying it, but it's silly to accuse the game of costing $150-200. If you pay the $60 box price and don't like it, then it's cost you $60, nothing more. And if you do like it, you can then decide to buy expansions or not.

Mm, I thought it was relevant to point out that they are going to earn their money elsewhere, not through subscriptions but on expansions.

I mean I don't have to pay subscriptions if I buy a game at full price and decide it's not worth it. And I figured it'd be apparent that you don't need to buy expansions too. But it's something to keep in mind that if you buy the game, eventually an expansion will come out and you'll more or less have to have it if you want to play with others. Much like you'd need a subscription if you want to pick up other MMOs and play with others (often times with expansions).

It's just something I have to weigh when trying out games...do I like it enough to have to spend more on it to continue playing it now? Should I wait until the expansions have come out and the bundle prices drops the cost of playing down significantly?

Just like Free 2 Plays, is the model going to allow it to be fun? Or grindy as hell if you don't put in a minimum amount of money? What is that minimum amount? Tribes Ascend, prior to daily deals and ignoring bundle packs was something like 180 bucks to buy everything in the game outright via gold, if not more because they futzed with gold prices. So you have to do some personal weighing based on gameplay to decide if you can put up with the system or how much it'll cost to make it bearable.

I'll just point out GW1, original game was basically a ghost town by the second or third expansion. You might see ten players in a day in the cities, at least was my experience. That's not an MMO.

News Comments > Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise
30. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 18:37 Veterator

Millions in funding businesses shouldn't need government funding. Tax breaks are OK, but funding is not.

Funding for businesses should be limited to extremely small or personal LOCAL businesses. Not hundreds of employees moving across country to seize the large amount of offered money.

That's basically bribery to work somewhere that may end up not being cost effective without those bribes. And it's falsely inflating the company, which we get enough of already.

37. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week Jun 22, 2012, 06:19 Veterator

Titus wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 05:20:
Veterator wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 03:30:
Not into buying MMOs without getting some trialing on before hand. Most end up being very disappointing despite positive buzz prior to release.

For a game that's only the price of the box, no subscriptions, I already have had the 20 hours of fun most SP games offer in two beta weekends alone.

It's much more condensed fun than most MMO's, since content doesn't need to be drawn out to keep subscriptions flowing. I'd say it is on par with good SP / MP games. There's literally NO down and travel time, the action is always going, be it SP / coop questing, match PvP and open world conquest.

Yeah I heard good things about it. But it's been like that with other games and I ended up being disappointed with what they thought was fun. I mean it's kind of general rule that I like to try games first, especially if I am going to be paying full price. MMOs are just one of those things, even fixed price MMOs because GW had 4(?) expansions, I suspect GW2 will have a number of expansions you'll need to continue to on soon enough resulting in a good 150-200 dollar investment if you buy them as they are released.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Night Ops Trailer
25. Re: PlanetSide 2 Night Ops Trailer Jun 22, 2012, 03:55 Veterator

Game looks nice.

Just wondering how the pay system is going to end up being. SOE is not the most trustworthy company when it comes to announcements and what they actually deliver.

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week Jun 22, 2012, 03:30 Veterator

Well if they hand out extra keys in the future, I'd like one even if it's for a couple hours of messing around with it.

Not into buying MMOs without getting some trialing on before hand. Most end up being very disappointing despite positive buzz prior to release.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jun 22, 2012, 03:26 Veterator

Yeah they are saying billions moving out, and SWTOR was like 100-300 mil on the guesstimates. So.........something else obviously was driving down their stock.

I think SWTOR is just the easiest to point to, people recognize star wars more than Origin.

Reap what you sow. Cut out choices, ignore customers, etc.... they pulled an RIAA just in a much shorter time frame and with less lawsuits.

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
38. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 02:33 Veterator

In the future you'll need supervised visits where they bring your game to you to play it for a few hours. Should only cost a couple hundred a month to get 2-3 supervised visits for the month.

If you complain.......to court you go to prove that you are a fit player able to take care of your game in accordance with the 300 page EULA. This will often involve reciting it word for word before the court to show that you have read it. And may involve implants in your cortex to make sure what you are doing is truly allowed. Plus suppression of your libido and basal desires to keep you from acting on impulse.

I guess we can hope for attractive supervisors?

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
30. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jun 20, 2012, 23:29 Veterator

Might be fun to sign up with a guild, probably increase your chances of getting in too since they often do organized groups early on to get their input.

News Comments > Final Secret World Beta Weekend
4. Re: Final Secret World Beta Weekend Jun 20, 2012, 00:47 Veterator

Been in beta for a couple weeks, maybe closer to a month.

I don't feel it's ready for release, and that sentiment is expressed daily in the chat channels by others.

They break things each patch, fix it and break something else.

It has some good ideas, and some of it's even interesting. But the UI, laginess, repeat broken/fixed/broken bugs, and general quirkiness of the game gets really old really fast.

I wouldn't buy the game because Funcom has a history of bug filled releases and this game looks to be no different, especially with the release being only weeks away and it being as glitchy as it is.

Plus they keep nerfing or locking things due to PVP, and that stuff absolutely drives most MMO players insane. I expect it to keep happening as more and more people use exploitative combos and even more people complain. Lots of people spoke about basically one-shotting people in PVP... harken back to Age of Conan decapitation insta-kills.

I am wondering what it will take for Funcom to change their ways at this point....third MMO is much like the others (deficient at release compared to other MMOs released by similarly well known devs...it'd be an awesome FIRST mmo for a new company but a poor third offering from a company with a history of problematic MMOs). Could be good, but it'll take another year post-release probably to get it somewhat stable (not so much crashing as more "fixed" and working properly game wise).

Really want to try guild wars 2 at this point since it's the last MMO I'd before Planetside 2 I'd even consider, but not going to pay to try and find out I don't care for it. Done doing that crap with MMOs.

News Comments > TERA Free Trial
16. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 14, 2012, 05:32 Veterator

I went out and bought 6 computers for this game, it's that good.

1 to login and the 5 others to use to do other things so I'd actually be entertained. You can trust me because I was in beta and got to level 10ish. My fictional wife loves it too. The best part was picking weeds for your first mount, fulfilled my desire to pluck grass by hand without all the allergies and abrasiveness to my skin. 10 thumbs up.

Legit.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 22:32 Veterator

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 18:15:
I just realized that Krater came out today. Anyone playing it or was in the beta? Any good?

Played the beta for about 4 hours and never went back to it. If that helps any.....I didn't think it was bad...it just wasn't very interesting for the 4 hours I played it. Might be more to it if you put the time in, was a lot of stuff I never had money to buy, etc...so no idea on those.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 12, 2012, 21:58 Veterator

Hell you can have social interaction online...Facebook is hardly an example of interaction though.

I guess the best example for me was back in Everquest when they added the ability to sell offline and it replaced East Commons buying/selling for the most part. It used to be fun to blab with people about stuff in game or just BS with people and kind of learn about things you may not actually see yourself either in game or about the world.

Once they took that point of interaction away, it killed some of the spirit of the player base....you really didn't have to care about anyone aside from your guild/raid group/whatever.

It's similar in a way to how Walmart and big shops kill off the familiarity you get from smaller shops they drove out of business. Inserting another layer between people to people interactions whether it's purely social, business, whatever. You don't have to care what other people are doing because X company will take your money no matter how much of a bastard you are.

News Comments > Diablo III Bans
18. Re: Diablo III Bans Jun 12, 2012, 21:47 Veterator

Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 20:24:
Something that occurred to me while reading all the Diablo 3 news lately is that an unscrupulous individual, if so inclined, could make more than enough money in the auction house to keep buying new copies of D3 indefinitely as their old accounts get banned, assuming they work quickly enough. Banning doesn't seem like much of a deterrent in that case especially if Blizzard only brings the ban-hammer occasionally.

They've done it in WoW for how many years, so I can't imagine D3 will be any different.

Helps drive up the total box sales, makes their numbers look better when they report subscribers. Then they ban them every few months and pump those box sales up.......

If you SEE cheating in a game that has hundreds of thousands if not millions of people, like actually notice it. It's unlikely a few thousand is even 10% of the hardcore cheaters. And probably 10x that number of part-time cheaters/exploiters who would technically be breaking EULAs and what not.

Because unless you are going to cheat or think someone is cheating because of something you saw...you probably don't care enough to look it up online to find out.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2012, 15:04 Veterator

Lack of sleep and poor quality of sleep has links to all kinds of things.

It worsens or increases your chance for diabetes.

It can affect your weight, usually weight gain.

High blood pressure and future heart problems, depends on the severity of your sleep apnea/other sleep issues.

It also has ties to glaucoma.

Headaches, migraines, etc.

And poor sleep/lack of sleep generally gives people a really short temper and usually ends up leading to depression.

So while stroke chances increase is bad and all, there's lots of reasons to make sure you are getting a restful nights sleep aside from just feeling better.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week
10. Re: Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week Jun 11, 2012, 18:00 Veterator

Kinda pisses me off after they give us that XP boost weekend that they add this change. Spent a lot of XP on upgrading weapons when I could have been using it to unlock new stuff and get upgrades through use.

With this however many weapon additions, they better start offering some actual daily deals. 30% off on a pistol Im never going to use or some crap grenade is very irritating. Having the gold and never getting a deal on anything you want is aggravating, if it ain't 50% off it's not a deal. 780 gold for a primary is basically 5+ dollars for a weapon, nothing micro transaction about that when you consider how many weapons they are going to have.

50 Bucks for a game versus 150-200 bucks for unlocks and what not is kinda nuts considering they just keep adding.

News Comments > Activision and Infinity Ward Settle
6. Re: Activision and Infinity Ward Settle May 31, 2012, 21:30 Veterator

Without being public record, it means they can continue to attempt to rip off employees against their agreements.

Because no one is going to know exactly what it took to prove the case or make them pay up.

Shouldn't be allowed to dismiss employment related non-payment disputes, because it lets the companies continue.

493 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo