Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for J W

Real Name J W   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Veterator
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 6, 2007, 06:32
Total Comments 492 (Amateur)
User ID 41737

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 20:08 Veterator

Wildstar is a subscription game, GW2 is not. That's one major difference.

Although I thought Wildstar had some funny bits for the one weekend I was allowed into beta, but it's combat seemed less interactive than GW2. Which can probably be blamed on it being beta and not perfected yet...we'll see. Hopefully they changed to non-subbed.

Personally I see Archeage being the real threat to GW2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 15:46 Veterator

The way overflow worked and works now is that once the server version of a map is full, people move into overflow. Overflow version of maps are not server specific and can contain people from any server whose default map was full or who used "join on member" in their party window to move into overflow.

This is how TTS would do multiple tequatl kills by spawning overflows on a particular server then just inviting everyone who wanted to go into the overflows so people who couldn't guest didn't have to.

Now the megaserver sounds like instead of being a random mishmash of people and invitees in a overflow map....they try to group you via your language, guild, etc. So it will make the base maps on smaller servers actually have people in them at all hours instead of just primetime for that server.

And I think people who've grown used to the other server system are going to be upset for awhile. And all the "rivalries" between wvw competitors are going to start showing up in map chat everywhere. People already spend hours trolling via secondary accounts and going on the forums and spewing crap all day. So here's hoping Anet groups via color groupings like they do in Edge of the Mists so you won't have to see as much of it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 23:46 Veterator

Can't help but think the Oculus is going to die a slow death. I know quite a few people who'd wonder what the catch is if they knew Facebook owned the company selling them the hardware...and I definitely would as well.

So essentially, the guy got backed and then killed (profitably for himself) the product less than two years later.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details
17. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 12:27 Veterator

Between this and Wildstar, I'd play Wildstar. Just couldn't get into the combat in ESO at all, and nothing else really stuck out to me as viable besides combat oriented stuff.

And having said that, I still wouldn't pay monthly for Wildstar even though it felt pretty well done overall...really liked the voice over guy who introduced you to each town or area wasn't annoying like most VOs get.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Mar 26, 2014, 09:03 Veterator

Good way to get the religious to send money. I mean how can they not if you're FIGHTING SATAN.  

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Feb 12, 2014, 00:09 Veterator

I am going to assume you mean 60-80 million, because 60k-80k wouldn't cover one guy's wages for a year.

Ludomancer wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 17:27:
As of 2010 it's generally well known (shared developer experience, conference panels, etc) you need a minimum of $60k-$80k to make an MMO in todays market, with $55k of that amount going only toward marketing alone.

AAA is not a valid definition of a product as it's just marketing terminology (no offense to jDreyer).

I just painted a more candid history of that company than most people have posted in any of the stories, and I most employees do agree with me, myself included.

In the end, Rhode Island didn't lie to the employees of 38 about their home mortgages being closed and giving the okay to open new ones so families could relocate, nor did they cause the forfeiture of some employees healthcare while 38 was still in business, which resulted in 6-digit hospital bills for at least two families.

I'm just incensed that some jackass suit is trying to kiss up to Shilling by erroneously planting the blame on the state that gave them a home they weren't worthy of.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 3, 2014, 20:42 Veterator

Can't comment on the different frequencies they use and how it affects their coverage. But Verizon spent a bunch of money about 10 years back getting towers up all over the region I live in. Then after they were done, the towers were sold to "American Tower" or something like that. Then this new company would allow others to place their hardware on the existing tower to expand their coverage.

I have no idea why Verizon would sell their tower network unless it was one of those deals where they still own it, but it looks like they don't because of the different company name.

But, NOW it's really hard to even get a tower put up if it's needed, because all the local population calls them an eyesore, etc etc. I personally think a lot of the complaints about the towers are people trying to get the tower moved to properties they own...or governments trying to make sure the lease checks end up sent to them by forcing it to be on their properties.

They could definitely cut out a lot of the nonsense by calling it a necessary utility and stomping down on a lot of the BS reasons people use to kill new tower installations.

And I have to point out that a lot of other upgrades to current utilities are stopped because of people complaining about the inconvenience or additional hardware being put in to utilize the new tech. Instead of trying to work together to find a solution, it ends up being everyone bends over to XYZ company or nothing gets done...and there are legitimate reasons to not put shit in certain locations.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2014, 20:48.

News Comments > EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4
29. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 14:24 Veterator

EA takes lessons from a lot of things. They just never seem to remember them when it'd be useful.

How many times in the last 5 years has EA said they were learning or changing things to improve anything? Probably as many times as they've had a big public problem, and it just keeps happening.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast
38. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 25, 2014, 18:11 Veterator

Guess I should have been really specific and said in MMOs. But I just figured it'd be given since it was in a thread about voice acting in an MMO.

I'll use SWTOR as a really good example of it. It was interesting for a bit. Then if you grouped, you had people waiting around on you if you stopped to listen. Or people who'd keep you waiting after you heard the dialog half a dozen times yourself.

If you made another char on the same side, after one zone you ended up with the same dialog as every other char on that side. The only variations were your class specific quests assuming you didn't roll the same class twice.

Or when they did char wipes and I made another guy, I skipped all the dialog until I got back to my level I was before wipe.

They spent stupid amounts of money to get these voice actors, spent loads of time on it.....and I only listened to it once, twice at most. On the other hand, you have content you repeat all the time. Dungeons, zones, etc that could have had that money put into expanding on them. Lots of people skipped the dialog like I did. It was a joke after awhile for people due to how unimpressive SWTOR was given it's astounding budget numbers.

I don't find it untrue at all.

Beamer wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 11:18:
Veterator wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 10:41:
Voice acting in games is fun the first or second time you hear it, then after that it's either skipped or annoying.

That's probably the least true thing I'm going to read on here all day. It's 2014 - character is a part of games. One of the reasons Valve is likely struggling so much with HL3 is that, while a silent protagonist made perfect sense in 1998, it would be baffling now.

I mentioned in another thread that I'd buy a PS4 for Uncharted alone. And I'll say with 100% certainty that's due to the voice acting. Fantastic voice acting (and writing) raises any game. Uncharted is a Tomb Raider clone with some iffy combat thrown in, but the main character is just a ton of fun, due to having very charismatic acting behind him.

Few people tune it out, skip it, or find it annoying. In fact, I doubt anyone really has since the days of Warcraft 2, when "Join the Navy they said..." was hysterical the first time you heard it and aggravating the hundred thousandth time. But things don't repeat anymore, outside of bad design, so it should neither be skipped nor annoying.

News Comments > EQN Landmark Alpha System Requirements
13. Re: EQN Landmark Alpha System Requirements Jan 25, 2014, 17:38 Veterator

Ah, but to get any access prior to it's launch. They are collecting money for alpha and beta access. Which is what I referring to.

And my point with the building assets is that unless they do something to detect, check...somehow verify the structures being sold as assets. People will just copy and undercut. But yes the flip side is that if they do verify and turn things down as too similar, then early adopters will have a big upper hand as well.

Im a minecraft fan, I just can't envision minecraft having a pre-built asset for money giving me the same sense of accomplishment...and it kind of trivializes your work if other people can just buy better versions of what you built yourself. Since theoretically you'll have to mine and collect all the components then construct it...and they will not unless they are being sold just the blueprint which seems unlikely.

News Comments > EQN Landmark Alpha System Requirements
9. Re: EQN Landmark Alpha System Requirements Jan 25, 2014, 01:11 Veterator

I'd love to try it out, but I refuse to pay for what essential is building potential content for their future game and testing their engine for them.

Supposedly they are going to monetize it so people can buy your pre-built assets to use in their structures...so I guess it would be beneficial to people looking to try to make money that way. I don't see how they are going to stop people from making the same or near same arrangement of stuff and just making it cheaper.

News Comments > SOE Closing Four MMOGs
16. Re: SOE Closing Four MMOGs Jan 25, 2014, 01:06 Veterator

So that leaves.....Everquest 1 and 2, Planetside 2, DC Universe Online, and maybe Planetside 1 (I don't know if they are ending it or making it f2p or what at this point).

I guess that ain't too bad, but having Vanguard on there would have rounded it out since EQ 1 is pretty damn old. Last time they had a free play period on EQ 1 it had changed so much since I last played it, I didn't have a clue where to begin learning it over again with an existing char.

Vanguard had some good ideas, but the bullshit associated with it far outweighed any novelty of ideas. Still would like to see them fix it, but like was said...the engine is probably just too wrong for the task. Don't get McQuaided on Pantheon like I was on Vanguard.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast
31. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 10:41 Veterator

Voice acting in games is fun the first or second time you hear it, then after that it's either skipped or annoying.

I think a lot of these game devs just hire these famous people so they can hang out with them. And get the added benefit of mentioning what an outrageous amount of money they spent on development of the game...in which more than half was spent on voice acting and marketing....which........kinda sounds like they got their priorities backwards to me.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Updated
20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Updated Jan 21, 2014, 18:06 Veterator

Scottyl42 wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 12:36:
I just started playing this. I made a ranger..I find them to be weak? Only level 20. But doesn't seem powerful? Maybe its just me.

I liked rangers with longbow and greatsword. They need to be fairly close to your level to get the most out of it. If you're using stuff 10-20 levels below you on weapons...you're gonna suck.

And as for this patch. So far I am not a fan. I suspect it's some bugs causing issues, but they took a lot of shitty elements from other encounters and crammed them all into these fights it seems.

Weird mechanics with almost no time to figure out wtf you're doing, then wait 2-3 hours to do it again.

No drops from the myriad of things you have to kill to get to the boss, and if you fail at the boss you get the "lesser prize" of hardly anything....and wait hours to try again. I know it's to discourage farming, but man is it annoying to spend half an hour after waiting 2 hours and get damn near nothing while you constantly kill things.

It really makes you start to hate your fellow player when you fail to win for the third or fourth time because you can't possibly explain every aspect of the fight to new people with how they are setup. And chances are you're probably wrong in some regard anyway because so much stuff is happening at once.

If you got SOMETHING worthwhile of time investment it wouldn't be so aggravating, but you basically walk away with nothing and have a bunch of other people there making the fight scale up but not contributing to the win in a positive manner.

And then you toss ending up in overflows into the mix, and you just end up with all sorts of mixes on the above issues over and over.

Unless this things gives out some amazing rewards, which I doubt given Teq gives pretty low chances of getting anything good, it's going to end up being largely ignored once people get their achievements. Too much hassle, not enough reward to keep people coming back to learn it really well.

Queen's arena was pretty boring after awhile, but at least time spent there running around in the zerg was steadily rewarding.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
14. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 15, 2014, 16:24 Veterator

Funny. Person of Interest episode last night had a guy being belligerent about his phone when the stewardess asked him to stop. Then gets knocked out by the main character when stewardess turns her back.

I could see it happening already.

Only flown one round trip in my life, and it wasn't very enjoyable. That was before all the changes 911 brought. So I hope I never have reason to fly again, or end up so filthy rich I don't have to fly with others. So...here's hoping the former at least stays true, cause I doubt the latter is gonna happen.

News Comments > Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Announcement & Kickstarter
6. Re: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Announcement & Kickstarter Jan 13, 2014, 18:56 Veterator

Don't trust McQuaid one bit. But looking at the other teams history, I see a lot of Defiance...which is a pretty lifeless and dull world of an MMO.

Pantheon sounds neat, but so did Vanguard.

And to boot it's a 3 year turn around on the kickstart. Beta access in 2017, which most people will probably forget if they kickstarted by then. But 3 years on only 800k is impossible. And 3 years just to get to beta on 7 mil also seems like hopeful thinking considering the cost of much simpler projects and how much testing an MMO needs towards the end.

Got McQuaided once myself, don't let yourself get McQuaided.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2014, 07:41 Veterator

Prefer tower and monitor over laptops myself. And laptops over the rest of the tablet stuff.

Maybe once they get some really good google glass like alternatives that can replace monitors, look good, perform well, etc.....the more mobile stuff might appeal to me more. They'd still have to come up with an alternative to touch interfaces that makes sense to accompany the wearable monitor though.

Think it'd be pretty damn handy to have the eyewear that interfaces with your phone/mobile device. Then that in turn interfaces with whatever machine you may need to connect to...home computer network, work..etc for more capability. Means you could have one really bitchin "monitor" you use everywhere.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Jan 12, 2014, 04:05 Veterator

Got my invite for this weekend to ESO. Didn't use it. Maybe if someone says something good about it later down the line I Might try another beta weekend out...but my first a month or two back was pretty lackluster.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Weekly Update Plans
4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Weekly Update Plans Jan 9, 2014, 11:25 Veterator

Wonder what will be the guideline for their additions now, because they didn't really follow the roadmap...or add anything to it after a certain point.

Game needs some more vehicle variety per faction. And not in an attempt to sell more guns, make some of the vehicles share the various cannon sizes and types of weaponry. Cosmetics are fine, but having different versions of the same gun is just confusing...take the time to vary them visually/statistically/name wise if you want to sell it more than once.

News Comments > Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Revealed
13. Re: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Revealed Jan 6, 2014, 02:22 Veterator

McQuad lied a lot concerning Vanguard, and it's release state, while visually pretty, crashed every 20-40 minutes for me.

Plus all of the duping and shit that quickly ruined the crafting in the game and made everything so inflated the money was basically worthless....

I liked some of the ideas in Vanguard, like the way bards could customize songs and the necro pets could be changed somewhat.

So, hopefully someone will come along, take any good ideas he tries to put into the new game and releases one that runs well.

492 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo