Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bill Pickett

Real Name Bill Pickett   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname headkase
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 5, 2007, 06:49
Total Comments 151 (Novice)
User ID 41707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers
14. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Aug 17, 2011, 22:20 headkase

Sacrifex wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 18:45:
Been running these (albeit, the preview 11.8 drivers released with the 11.7's) for over a month, without any problems: installing, or running.

While AMD certainly can improve their driver support (I'm looking at you Crossfire), I've yet to have/see any issues like the constant outpouring of "I installed these drivers and they killed my wife/child/dog, then made me watch while they barbequed/ate the battered corpses," that comes up in every single AMD driver thread here on Blues.

I've used multiple mismatched Crossfire setups in my day, with beta drivers, and no lack of overclocking/tweaking - If this stuff is as common is it would seem, shouldn't I have been gruesomely killed in some sort of explosive driver snafu by now?

5-6+ years ago, sure, the drivers were a mess - now? Either fanboi lulz, or PEBKAC.

I HAVE had a "blue screen" (actually, black screen then reboot but the Windows error log called it a "blue screen"..) on Windows 7 64-bit when running the AMD Catalyst Driver Update. I was having problems with a few - and only a specific few - games at the same time. What fixed it? I replaced the power supply which in hindsight was getting wonky. No issues since.

By the way: a first for me! First time I've seen a spam post on Blues..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Motion Capture Trailer
5. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Motion Capture Trailer Aug 10, 2011, 14:07 headkase

necrosis wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 14:04:
Did anyone even bother getting this game after the crap fest that was F.E.A.R. 2?

To each their own I guess.. I quite enjoyed 2 and bought 3: haven't finished 3 yet but what I've played is good! It really depends I guess: if you "expect to be scared" you're going to be disappointed. But, if you want a solid shooter: good as anything else!

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Motion Capture Trailer
3. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Motion Capture Trailer Aug 10, 2011, 13:58 headkase

Blue wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 13:43:
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

On Unix: "These aren't the .droids you're looking for.."

Edit: Found the reference: Unix Wars

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2011, 14:04.

News Comments > On Steam and Direct3D
26. Re: On Steam and Direct3D Jul 31, 2011, 21:10 headkase

Here is an example of which DirectX run-time you install matters. I own both Bioshock and F.E.A.R. (the original retail disc) and I've tried this and it does happen. That article gives a link to the DirectX 10 2007 build package but DirectX 10 and 11 are now found in the Redist package (which says 9.0c but does contain 10 and 11).

tl;dr: installing an older game with DirectX 9.0c can corrupt DirectX 10 and later. The solution is to reinstall the latest DirectX Redist after installing an older game.

News Comments > Catalyst 11.6b Hotfix
1. Re: Catalyst 11.6b Hotfix Jul 7, 2011, 00:06 headkase

Leech pages are dumb. Like seriously, the 7 and Vista links end up in a leech to me so likely everyone else too. The "AMD Support" one works and helpfully tells me this release doesn't apply to my hardware so, fine, done.

But, instead of an "Unauthorized" page I think a good site - when it detects something it may or may not stupidly like - should redirect you to a page it does like instead of sitting there being a jerkface.

An example like this is Comedy Central. I don't know how many times I'll click on a link in some web-page hoping to see the short clip it was talking about and I'll get a "You're not special enough to use the US site you dumb Canadian!" And it'll redirect me to the Canadian site. The front page. With no link and millions of directions I could possibly go to find the actual clip I used to be interested in seconds before.

Basically, real examples exist of web-sites being "jerkfaces"

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit
72. Publisher doing this. Jul 6, 2011, 22:21 headkase

This may have been written already, I'll go back and check out all the comments in a bit, but the immediate thing about this story that stuck out at me - and I think even if it has already been mentioned deserves it again is: this is the publisher doing this. Publishers have more of a reason to have a bug up their butt than a developer: Eidos. I have this game pre-ordered, you know: paid, and this story does not change a single feeling I have that it is almost certainly going to be an awesome game. I haven't downloaded or looked for this leaked copy: I'll happily wait and experience it all new with less bugs than the leak, but, if I was something like dying then I wouldn't feel bad about going and getting the leak.

Basically, you can understand a publisher going after people who infringe their products because it is their business. But also, at the same time, the leak is no where near a complete product so if they do get the people who did leak it under a rock: I hope they don't squish them too much.

News Comments > Deus Ex Human Revolution Trailer
2. Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution Trailer Jul 2, 2011, 00:11 headkase

Tanto Edge wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 23:00:
Ship it and take my money!

I'm *pre-paid* on Steam! And am so looking forward to August 23rd! I have completed both previous games so I'm not shooting in the dark for the pre-paid part!

News Comments > Cross-Platform Steam Chat
12. Re: Cross-Platform Steam Chat Jun 28, 2011, 15:58 headkase

I agree with the thought: if Valve comes out and says they *WILL NOT EVER* banninate over this, maybe I'd try it on my Linux laptop. Until then: I just have too much money tied up in my Windows Steam account.  

News Comments > Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Monday
17. Re: Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Monday Jun 22, 2011, 21:09 headkase

neilmike wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 20:09:
This is a quite an impressive List and it should be much improved anyway, i've purchased crysis 2 on steam a while ago so i hope this will include the upcoming patch with directx 11 through steam website...if not i'll scream 'aaahhhhhhhh'

http://games.gamepressure.com/games_encyclopedia.asp

http://www.gamenews24.com/

You're already in Steam so see if future patches and such come from that: they're supposed to. But, just in case something changes and they don't: your other option is to download the Origin client ( http://store.origin.com/ ) and using the exact same CD-Key for Crysis 2 from your Steam account, put that into Origin's redeem code box. It will give you a full download version of Crysis 2 from them. I know for a fact it works: I own the Steam version of Crysis 2 and I did it. The only thing I had to do was uninstall the Steam version before the Origin version would download. It sucks to have to re-download a big game but if your options run out you can always do that.

News Comments > Crysis 2 DX 11 Tessellation and Hi Res Texture Packs Planned
33. Re: Crysis 2 DX 11 Tessellation Pack and Hi Res Texture Packs Planned Jun 22, 2011, 20:01 headkase

Joss wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 18:01:
1280x1024 is 5:4? Is that a CRT monitor?

It's 2011, go to OfficeMax and get you a cheap 24" LED backlit flat panel already.

1280x1024 is a resolution of both CRT and LCD monitors. It was a really popular LCD panel size for quite a while. And, yes, it's 5:4.

26. Re: Crysis 2 DX 11 Tessellation Pack and Hi Res Texture Packs Planned Jun 22, 2011, 05:39 headkase

BUT, for anyone who missed the comparison pics, someone was kind enough to set up an album for them:

http://imgur.com/a/jCKj0

25. Re: Crysis 2 DX 11 Tessellation Pack and Hi Res Texture Packs Planned Jun 22, 2011, 05:19 headkase

The link now goes to a 404 page.

Well, at least I got to see it and hopefully it won't be long till that page is back - with working download links!

News Comments > Quake Expo 2011
1. Re: Quake Expo 2011 Jun 20, 2011, 17:53 headkase

"Quake Expo is a community event for developers, players and enthusiasts of Quake 1, Quake 2 and Quake 3, held to celebrate the games..."

Ok, I know a lot of people panned Quake 4, but darn it! It existed! I own it and think it was an all-around decent game!

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned?
65. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 05:28 headkase

ASeven wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 05:10:
Hmmm, an interesting move by EA, it certainly is a gamble, a high risk move and I'm not sure if it'll pay off.

For one, more competition is good but only if said competition itself is good, it appears the Origins service has its fair share of problems. People have a loyalty to Steam so even with exclusives there will be a lot of resistance to move from Steam to play in another service. On the short-term EA is going to lose money with this. On the long-term? It all depends on what they offer and on how they develop Origins, if they can make it as appealing as Steam or not. One thing's clear though, EA has now declared war on Valve over digital services and it should be interesting to see who bows first. My money is on EA.

I hope EA bows first too.

61. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 04:33 headkase

Fryz wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 04:24:
Oh look

Oh? I'm not around here much so I can't be expected to keep up with the regular's positions but: the plot thickens!

56. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 04:08 headkase

InBlack wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 04:05:
And why would I want to buy a piece of shit like Crysis 2 anyway?? I wouldnt go near it if they gave it away for free.

I bought it. On Steam even. If it didn't have to live up to it's predecessor it's a good game. If you expected it to melt your system at launch like Crysis did, or Far Cry (1) before: you were right to be disappointed.

51. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 03:45 headkase

LittleMe wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:30:
headkase wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:26:
But, I don't believe in over-arching conspiracies: just individual people acting in their own self-interests.

Yes it's perhaps very difficult to prove, an over-arching conspiracy. I don't claim to have indisputable proof. I'm just looking at the Origins logo. Look at the 'g' in origins. Its the only letter to have a hook or unusual aspect to it. An upside-down g is a 6. No?

There is a supplement you can add to your diet: Lithium. Studies have proven that people who take lithium are happier and more productive. Of course you will have to find a source that doesn't have corporative ties but I'm sure you're resourceful enough. Now either be not looney or we are done responding to each other.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Jun 15, 2011, 03:29 headkase

Darth Guybrush wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:23:
OldScho0l wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:16:
Steam is a pile of shit. If you are dumb enough to buy a game through them, you'll be waiting at least an entire day for it to download. If you want to play a game and didn't set it to offline mode before hand, you can't even play your own fucking games until you connect to steam and set them to offline mode (this happened to me several times)! This is total Bullshit imho and steam can suck my nuts. I'll never buy another game through them or any other download service. Bunch of money hungry scumbags. Don't bother responding to this in a negative fashion, because I will only see you as a mindless sheep who can't think for themselves. Steam is junk. Plain and simple. I'm so sick and tired of this greedy ass human race. I'm hoping for an extinction class event to wipe our sorry asses off this planet. Humans are shitbags.

I take it you have not adjusted your download source? I get 1.5Mb per second via Internode here in Oz! Pit not free download though.

I get 800KB/Sec average and 1.2MB/Sec peak - but that's not often. So, a full game nowadays: say 6GB takes an hour or two to download. I usually start it - you can control that - when I go to bed and then it doesn't matter: it's always done the next day. All you have to give up by doing that is gratification that is less than one day in length.

40. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 03:26 headkase

LittleMe wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:20:
headkase wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:13:
LOLOcopter! You forgot the Illuminati and their real masters: Majestic 12!!! You're a poor messenger..

Do you see the two hooks on the O in origins? Yes or no. Look at it. What do you think it is then? A propeller?

I think it is ... pixels ... !!! Those darn, insidious pixels shaping every action and making you vote liberal. I'm not saying things don't suck, hang out on http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/ for a while to see how often non-rich people get screwed. But, I don't believe in over-arching conspiracies: just individual people acting in their own self-interests. Read Ayn Rand: she was a terrorist..

38. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 03:22 headkase

OldScho0l wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:16:
Steam is a pile of shit. If you are dumb enough to buy a game through them, you'll be waiting at least an entire day for it to download. If you want to play a game and didn't set it to offline mode before hand, you can't even play your own fucking games until you connect to steam and set them to offline mode (this happened to me several times)! This is total Bullshit imho and steam can suck my nuts. I'll never buy another game through them or any other download service. Bunch of money hungry scumbags. Don't bother responding to this in a negative fashion, because I will only see you as a mindless sheep who can't think for themselves. Steam is junk. Plain and simple. I'm so sick and tired of this greedy ass human race. I'm hoping for an extinction class event to wipe our sorry asses off this planet. Humans are shitbags.

That is a flaw in Steam: to use Offline mode you have to be Online to set it. Those are the only times Steam has ever failed me: my ISP connection failed. Fortunately, my ISP is pretty darn reliable - I lose my connection maybe for an hour or two every 6 months with maybe a five minute disconnection every 3 months. So, I'm not overly ruined by it the majority of the time. In exchange for that: I don't have to dig through my closet for the actual discs when I want to play. For you, that trade is obviously not worth it. I don't really agree.

151 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo