Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bill Pickett

Real Name Bill Pickett   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname headkase
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 5, 2007, 06:49
Total Comments 151 (Novice)
User ID 41707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo
3. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 28, 2012, 22:15 headkase

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 21:46:
I don't need a demo, just a sale.

Same here. I have plenty to play but I will eventually get it. Might as well be patient enough for a Steam sale.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced
46. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 30, 2012, 16:17 headkase

ItBurn wrote on May 30, 2012, 15:02:
avianflu wrote on May 30, 2012, 14:16:
I'll never forget installing the demo of Doom3 and realizing how behind the times it was in every possible way that a game can be.

Doom 3 looked amazing at the time and it was a very unique game. To this day, the lighting in Doom 3 is inequaled. Also, it was a very solid game, with amazing atmosphere. Sure it wasn't perfect, but I loved it.

It was in no way like the original doom games, so I can understand that complaint, but don't tell me it was a bad game or "behind the times".

And it was the first game to do actual per-pixel lighting. As a tech demo it was unsurpassed on its release. As a game, my opinion, is that it was decent too. I own D3 and RoE - I'll probably pick up the PC version of this one too when it comes out for the extra levels and also, more so, for D1 and D2. Those are overpriced on Steam so putting all three together and throwing in some bonus levels I'm sure the overall price will be a bargain.

Also, revamped D3? I think this is just to build-up interest in D4 too..

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
71. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 09:11 headkase

I've put about 45 minutes into Grimrock so far, default party. Verdict? Bleeping awesome, just bleeping awesome!  

News Comments > Pre-certified Catalyst Reference Drivers
7. Re: Pre-certified Catalyst Reference Drivers Feb 16, 2012, 22:24 headkase

Another reason I don't mind being on VGA instead of HDMI is the notorious Crysis 1/2/Warhead "24Hz bug." Those three games will bloody well start up at 24Hz and there is little to nothing you can do about it. They're unplayable like that. VGA connection? Bug goes away completely.

5. Re: Pre-certified Catalyst Reference Drivers Feb 16, 2012, 21:00 headkase

Well, Windows' screen resolution was telling me I was at 60Hz and the overlay the TV would put up on a change mode said the mode was 1080p - not 1080i - so I don't know what the issue was. But, like said, it works perfect now so I'm not inclined to go yanking cables and pulling out the voltmeter..  

3. Re: Pre-certified Catalyst Reference Drivers Feb 16, 2012, 20:53 headkase

I could probably go out and buy the $45 HDMI cable instead of the $12 one I bought.. But hey, it's all working good right now. Like you said: when something happens that makes me look at it again I'll see then. It was probably some type of filter the TV was applying to HDMI inputs, but, I *really did* look around for everything I could find and nothing fixed the image quality and immediately when trying VGA it was fixed. I'm at 1920x1080 60Hz with the VGA and it's all good.

1. Re: Pre-certified Catalyst Reference Drivers Feb 16, 2012, 20:29 headkase

I have these drivers installed and the packaging has them as Catalyst 12.3. Here's a screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/Qrg1u.png

I have a VGA display because I'm connected to a HDTV using that cable. It's much higher image quality than an HDMI @ 1920x1080 believe it or not.

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday?
51. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 6, 2012, 04:29 headkase

yonder wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 04:10:
headkase wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 01:48:
http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000227.htm

Boohoo, grammar Nazi. I'll still sleep soundly and you'll still be a twit.

Well ignorance *IS* bliss. Enjoy your blissful sleep!

Notice I looked it up? I'm no longer ignorant by a smidge. However, he's still a Nazi and I'm reluctant to waste further time on the matter.

48. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 6, 2012, 01:48 headkase

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 01:31:
headkase wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 22:53:
..However, on it's own it's not that great...

What's jaw-dropping is your apparent inability to grasp the concept of a contraction. "It's" ***ALWAYS*** means "it is."

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000227.htm

Boohoo, grammar Nazi. I'll still sleep soundly and you'll still be a twit.

43. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 5, 2012, 22:53 headkase

tuddies wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 22:26:
plus, megatexture turns out to be a pile of shit on PC. just not worth anything at all.

the most elegant coding solutions are usually the best, and according to carmack himself, megatexture was an enormously complex feat to pull off and it gets easily blown away with unreal, cryengine and of course, frostbyte

kudos to carmack for trying new things. keep trying, because gamers benefit from the competition

Megatexture is another tool in the belt. RAGE *is* a tech-demo for it and it proves that for things you will never get close to it's a beautiful technology. However, on it's own it's not that great. Perhaps it can be great on it's own when Blu-Ray is the primary distribution method for games - and the texture size is 50GB to go along with it. However, what megatexture really will be good for is in combination with other techniques. Combined as one layer in a overall Level of Detail scheme I'm sure it'll come into it's own and future games will be jaw-dropping.

News Comments > Ubisoft Online Disruption
17. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 11:54 headkase

Ubisoft has really disappointed me. I've bought Far Cry 1 and 2 TWICE. Far Cry 1 boxed retail then on Steam and Far Cry 2 boxed and, again, on Steam. Far Cry 1 I didn't need to re-buy I just did because I'm on a Steam kick. Far Cry 2 I re-bought because the Steam version came with the "Fortune's Pack" DLC which is no longer available retail. Both of them when I re-bought on Steam were on sale.

I really would like to buy Far Cry 3. I think I've made my point with dollars so far that I am more than willing. However, if Far Cry 3 comes with "always on" then fuck that. I won't be buying. And really, I don't actually need it: I have plenty to play. In fact, I have so much to play that I will go without brain-dead publishers and in that actual affect on myself see no difference: I`ll still be playing something. I just wish there was a "would have bought but didn't because you're dicks.." registry so I could sign it when the appropriate game was released.

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Drivers
14. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers Nov 15, 2011, 16:09 headkase

Cutter wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 16:04:
I have a 1gig 4870 Sapphire and Skyrim runs almost flawlessly, it has crashed a few times however.

I've got 20 hours into Skyrim and it has crashed exactly once. Intel Core i5 650, AMD Radeon 6870 1GB, on-board Realtek audio. That is a huge improvement over Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas. Those three crash on average once an hour or so. So, I'm happy - and it's only patch 1.1 so you'd think it only gets better from here!

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Hacked to Work Without Origin?
7. Re: Battlefield 3 Hacked to Work Without Origin? Nov 2, 2011, 13:54 headkase

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 13:48:
Morgan19 wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 13:35:
Awesome... Now if only I could get the game to progress past the "Initializing" status. Worked the first day and hasn't since.
Maybe you could try the crack? hah!

Just remember though, you'd be a filthy pirate then. Even though you already own the game.

I actually "crack" all my disc-based games. I'm in Canada so we don't have anti-circumvention laws like the US has in the DMCA. It's legal to do it here if it's for a legal purpose. The reason I crack my games? To remove disc-checks. So I don't have to dig out the darn disc every time I want to play a game. I also legally own all my games. There wasn't always a time when I could claim the high-road but I can now. So, as a paying customer I'm just giving myself a better experience. Being able to remove disc-checks in Canada may change soon however, there is legislation tabled right now which would introduce the worst of the US's style of DMCA. Sigh.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Source Code Release Nears
10. Re: DOOM 3 Source Code Release Nears Oct 31, 2011, 22:46 headkase

Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 22:27:
headkase wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 22:13:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 22:08:
What are we going to do with it?

The first thing people are going to do with it is overhaul the graphics to include modern algorithms which will work with all the original game data! I own D3, D3RoE, both installed and can't wait! Of course, it'll take release +6 months before some enterprising hacker makes something truly great!

Modern algorithms... so that D3 is even blacker than pitch black?
Also, why make something "truly great" if the game needs modern algorithms. For 99% of projects there's UDK, which is infinitely more modern. You do not get source code access, but the amount of projects needing that isn't huge. For those that do need it, well, there's this, or Unity (which is probably more advanced at this point), etc.

Look at DarkPlaces. I'm no expert but I'm sure there's a graphics geek out there who has similar ideas for Doom 3! Compare those to the original looks: here (scroll down for Windows screenshots).

News Comments > DOOM 3 Source Code Release Nears
5. Re: DOOM 3 Source Code Release Nears Oct 31, 2011, 22:13 headkase

[VG]Reagle wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 22:08:
What are we going to do with it?

The first thing people are going to do with it is overhaul the graphics to include modern algorithms which will work with all the original game data! I own D3, D3RoE, both installed and can't wait! Of course, it'll take release +6 months before some enterprising hacker makes something truly great!

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
1. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Oct 31, 2011, 22:10 headkase

Unfortunately, while this driver fixes all other OpenGL games it now makes RAGE all kinds of different shades of blue. Sorry, not you Blue, the color blue. Ah well, I have 'em installed and just put the 11.10p3 atioglxx.dll file into RAGE's folder just to make it work.  

News Comments > Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks"
16. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks" Oct 21, 2011, 13:47 headkase

I couldn't link to this title from Steam forums as their lame lameness filter censored out "bollocks" - in the link. Well, that was useless.

News Comments > RAGE Patched
36. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 19:03 headkase

Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 18:16:
Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 15:52:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 15:06:
The AI are awesome, best I've ever seen in a game.

I'm really enjoying Rage, but unfortunately the AI in it is just braindead. Pay close attention to it, and see what it does. It literally only has three stages.

1) Run at player.
2) Take cover, peek out from behind cover and fire.
3) Move to different cover.

It never does anything else. Occasionally it will switch to a different area of cover, but it's rare that it'll do so when it makes sense. Often it just does it because it got bored of shooting or something. Several times I've had it go from a point of cover where it was in good position to a point of cover where I could just shoot it right in the face.

The rest of the game is pretty cool (technical bullshit notwithstanding), and I agree that the driving is AWESOME.

But the AI... It's just bad.

Creston

Well I've seen them rush me, use cover, move from cover to cover, flank, stand thier ground, fall back and flat out run away and almost never fall for my chase me into a bad position, and use nades very well. Just recently in the power station I had two guys pinning me down with fire from cover while two more flanked me and took me from the side. Seen a shield dude advance on me and his buddy use the shield guy as cover to also advance. Then theres the mutants, bounding over objects, using walls and ceilings, zigzagging making themselves very hard to hit targets and even when they do manage to close on you they still bounce around all over the place. Curious what masterpiece FPS youre comparing this too to warrant calling the AI bad because I surely havent played it, as good Ive seen, better nope.

Everyone should post what "difficulty level" they're playing on.. Maybe there's a difference?! I know I've seen enemies use another enemy in front of them with a shield to move up together one behind the other!

19. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 15:41 headkase

Krovven wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 15:32:
It's just one problem after the other...

So now that I could play I tried to do Coop with a friend. Clicking Multiplayer the game relaunches, losing the +jobs_numThreads 0 from the Steam Launch settings and because Catalyst AI is on, the game freezes and chugs. Placing this in rageConfig.cfg does not seem to retain the setting either.

How do we get +jobs_numThreads 0 to get executed when the game switches to Multiplayer?

I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure that I read: as well as putting "rageConfig.cfg" into rage/base, put a copy into: rage/mp/base. That hopefully will do the trick.

13. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 15:18 headkase

I'm having a blast with RAGE! With this latest patch I haven't even seen a glitch yet! On PC and had it from day 1: so I went through the AMD driver debacle. Using all the highest settings an I rarely have texture pop-in: it just works and I have to purposely turn really fast to get some pop-in. I know others aren't having as good a game as I am. It's too bad that Carmack and Co. are taking a lot of heat for what was a cluster-f*ck on AMD's end. I'd be super pissed if I was him: AMD spoiled his launch. Sure people would still have had problems but there would have been far fewer problems if AMD weren't so incompetent.

Gameplay wise: this game is great, FPS parts have solid weapons and combat and vehicle parts also just feel "good" with cinematic gameplay to go with them!

151 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo