Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bill Pickett

Real Name Bill Pickett   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname headkase
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 5, 2007, 06:49
Total Comments 151 (Novice)
User ID 41707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > 1M in MW2 DLC Ads
21. Re: 1M in MW2 DLC Ads Apr 4, 2010, 12:37 headkase

Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2010, 01:26:
Also, it drives me nuts when people say "remember when we could download Quake maps for free!?"

I question whether you guys remember. You connect to a server via QSpy. It makes you start downloading a user-created map you don't have. The download takes forever and, by the time you're half done the server switches maps. You now need to start downloading a new map. You finally get in the game and find out it's a piece of garbage with missing textures everywhere. That was my experience with user made maps.

So instead now we have full commercialization without the option to try some free beer. Also what you did was let the server operators do the selecting for you - oh forgot you can't run your own dedicated server anymore too - and you found servers that carried maps that had been vetted by the community. I remember the opposite, I remember lots of awesome maps: perhaps this is because I had a core of servers I considered "good" and went to them mostly. But even that option has succumbed to the dollar now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 1M in MW2 DLC Ads
1. Free Apr 3, 2010, 14:15 headkase

Remember when "DLC" used to be free and unencumbered? When you could download maps for Quake that fans made? Later, when you could connect to a server and if you didn't have the map it was automatically downloaded to you for *gasp* no charge? User-modification itself is on the way out because console networks are designed around penalizing user-generated content. I guess you can't have free content on a pay network: it upsets the making of money.  

News Comments > Future Wars Demo
1. Short Memories Mar 19, 2010, 17:05 headkase

There was an Amiga game called Future Wars:
http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D1285

How do publishers deal with these short memories and naming conflicts like this? I seen the same thing with Unreal, that was also the name of an Amiga game and when Epic just used that name too...

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
49. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 18:54 headkase

Surf wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 18:38:
The Virus/Hacking debate between Windows/Linux and Mac has already been settled and all are open to attacks, nothing is safe. The reason for the viruses is maximum effect.
Say a virus causes a buffer overflow in Firefox on Windows. It now has access to the Windows folder and can install whatever it wants. Same virus in Firefox on Linux causes a buffer overflow. At best it can trash the users home folder. Unixes were built from the ground up with 40 years of history of being multi-user on the same machines: from early mainframes to now desktops. All along the way users have been hostile to each other and the Unix defenses grew to accommodate that. Now if you mean it is not impossible to infect a Linux or a Mac machine then sure, but in the real world Linux and Mac defenses are not made of toilet paper like Windows. Which is too bad, the NT core (all modern Windows) actually has a great security model: but it is crippled because of backwards-compatibility - it would break too many existing programs to actually use it to provide security.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again
6. Internet Needed Mar 8, 2010, 17:51 headkase

Regardless of the source of the denial what this highlights is that Internet is required for a single-player game. It is simply an artificial extra requirement which has a big cog in Murphy's Law. There are so many reasons you could be without Internet, it is unreliable in many places or simply not-affordable for constant connection in emerging markets or places like Iraq for certain American Citizens stationed there. Ubisoft has chosen to punish all of their legitimate customers to spite the people who never gave them money anyway. That's a winning business strategy: or more likely an executive who made a bone-head decision and everyone values their jobs too much to tell him he's an idiot.  

40. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 17:24 headkase

Surf wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 17:12:
Wow, I guess I really am talking to a Mac user. Are you going to tell me your Macs don't get viruses too?
Windows has taught you that getting a virus is normal. It's not.

30. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 16:14 headkase

Fang wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 16:01:
I only started with assembly language on a Commodore 64. Machine language was too much

I call fake. Assembly language and machine language are effectively equivalent. One is just using mnemonics to represent the commands in HEX.
Assembly language is using mnemonics yes, machine language is keying in 169 instead of LDA #. Even lower than machine language is binary which is just too much of a pain to even look at. The major advantage of assembly over machine language is that your assembler takes care of all the addresses and labels for you when you issue BNE $0800 or BNE Not_Done the assembler converts the relative BNE address parameter for you instead of you in machine language counting the number of bytes you had to go back or forward to.

28. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 16:10 headkase

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 16:01:
So in other words free is cool but only when it's convenient, otherwise you'll take what you can get. Sounds remarkably like the position I presented
What is the difference between software and content? Today software is becoming a commodity. It is glue and not important. Content on the other hand is crafted by hand and fit to the day. Copyright agreements such as the GPL have enabled the stone-soup parable with software. It is beginning to mature. The same thing with content is a bit of a ways off. I am aware of efforts which seek to create Open assets for content creation: yes, games. They are in their infancy, the GPL for software is much further along compared to these Creative Commons efforts. Twenty years from now I actually forsee content and software being Open. What I believe you will pay for then is access to servers where everyone else is. This implies that single-player will die along the way somewhere as a money-making venture. Who knows what will actually end up happening: the fact of the matter is that compared to other disciplines software (fuzzily extended into interactive content) is in its infancy. We'll see is the pragmatic approach - measured in decade granularities.

25. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 15:50 headkase

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 15:44:
I struggle to see what point you're trying to make in the context of this topic then. Steam itself is a closed platform for irony's sake and that's ignoring the portions of Source that require a commercial license. You just seem to want to push an "Information wants to be free" message.
I believe software should be Free. Content I am willing to pay for: a story I will put my money down for. Valve extending their business to Mac is an incremental position to them extending their stories to me. When they get here I will trade my money for the stories. Valve's stories in my ideal world would be built upon Open engines but I realize the world doesn't revolve around me so in the case of gaming I'm willing to overlook the platform is Closed because that is not what I'm buying: I'm buying the story.

21. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 15:35 headkase

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 15:28:
If you want to play "my neckbeard is the biggest" then I was working with FreeBSD when you thought email was just the AOL wav file The difference being that I've put in my time on everything from NetBSD to Solaris on what you would consider ancient Sparc hardware and recognize their optimal usage scenarios. When I need a rock solid operating system for an email server, I'll run FreeBSD or if the client needs it then god forbid even Exchange. When I want a gaming platform, I'll run Windows. I generally try not to let software politics dictate what I do with my leisure time.
I only started with assembly language on a Commodore 64. Machine language was too much The software is not what is important it is the philosophy, Open is better than Closed. It is democracy for software. That said Closed solutions are usually more practical but Open solutions have the intangible Freedoms in their eco-systems. The vast majority of little things like a DVD-Ripper I would have to buy on Windows, on Linux they come out of my repository for Free. Of course with software patents and laws such as the DMCA you usually have to choose to enable an extra repository or two but the point is that these things are Free. For everything but games, Windows for PC's is where gaming is at right *now*, I don't get nickel-and-dimed everytime I try to process some Information.

16. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 15:11 headkase

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 15:01:
Ahh, one of "those" guys. I almost expected a few M$'s in there too. Stopped reading after you made a serious comparison of gaming on Linux to Windows. I forgot, which year is the year of linux on the desktop again? 2000 or was that every since then too?
I cannot force you to open your mind. However you'll notice that in my first posts in this thread I mentioned I own a 360. That is where my gaming takes place mostly. Strategy games I run on Linux using crossover. I know what I'm talking about since I've actually run Linux since 2005 so I'll give you a free pass Windows is popular, if you'd like to enlighten yourself google "software Freedoms" and see where it takes you. Open Source is usually not the most polished solution but the tools get the job done and my expenses are very small. Once you understand software Freedoms and associated situations like when you would like to avoid lock-in and move your data to a competitor is when you understand. If you only use your computer for games however these are usually not issues: see how easy it is to get your information out of Google and then compare that against your own vendor.

12. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 14:53 headkase

Surf wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 14:06:
Loosen the grip that Windows has on PC gaming? It is misinformed goons like yourself that fail to realize that without Direct X, gaming on ANY OS would be zero.
You, sir, are the misinformed one here. Microsoft, the convicted monopolist, is doing more to hinder innovation right now than help it. Sure they had a big part in being first but that does not mean best forever. On Linux my native version of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars actually runs better on the same hardware with Linux versus Windows. But hey that is just my experience - not a "scientifically" measured opinion. OpenGL is quite capable of everything DirectX is and they have quite different purposes as well: DirectX focuses more on low-level while OpenGL provides higher-level constructs. If you would like something better than my experience with computers to guide you, take a look at id's Rage when it is released. It is fully OpenGL. Even on the 360 it is all OpenGL throughout and only converted to DirectX right at the end when it has to touch Microsoft's API's. Wider issues surround Microsoft and just because they enjoy monopolies does not make them the best solution. Coming from Linux I can say in the area of security models while the Windows NT family has a great one it is unfortunately crippled by forcing you to run as administrator all the time for backwards-compatibility purposes. Linux's security model on the other hand only requires elevation when needed - not constantly. Who is better? Well of course you can buy more applications for Windows but all the Free ones I download from my repositories don't let virus' infect my system. On top of the operating system itself not letting virus' infect me. First is not best, times are a changing and I'd be shocked if Microsoft's inital gains lasted another twenty years.

4. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 14:04 headkase

Surf wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 13:46:
Why bother? Really? Apple OS' are still barely used in the world. Mac users aren't interested in games and if they are they boot camp their systems to Windows and play away, works and is a very smart approach.

This is a stupid move and one that if I was at Valve would say "Rather than piss away time and money on stupid Apple/Mac crap, lets get this little thing called Half Life 2:Episode 3 fucking done, hmmm?!?!"

What you miss from the programming perspective is that Valve just has to program the Source engine itself once so that it does both platforms. From there any developer who uses the Source engine can have a 5% bigger market to target. Automatically - the engine does it. Rather than being stupid this is actually quite smart. If they did it right - and of course they did - then even further platforms down the road should be able to be plugged-in. 1% here, 3% there, adds up to dollars developers would have missed without the flexibility.

2. Awesome! Mar 8, 2010, 13:58 headkase

Not because I run a mac, but because I run Linux! Anything that loosens the grip Windows has on PC gaming is a good thing in my books! Spillover effects makes it just a bit more likely I'll see some eventually too! Right now my 360 is for the majority of my games even though I own a Steam account loaded with games. Some of those play well with Crossover Linux and some don't. I look forward to the day that I can play all my games natively!  

News Comments > Wolfenstein Patch Plans
3. Re: Cost too much for what it is Dec 14, 2009, 16:07 headkase

I played it at a friends and it was really ok BUT when I went to the store here to get it it is selling for $60 used, $70 new. (CDN). Thats just to rich for what it is for me!  

News Comments > Wolfenstein Patch Plans
1. Cost too much for what it is Dec 14, 2009, 13:35 headkase

I'd actually buy Wolfenstein if it's price wasn't so ridiculous!  

News Comments > Pick Your Own World of Goo Price
19. Re: Pick Your Own World of Goo Price Oct 13, 2009, 19:50 headkase

lapino: After you made your pay-pal purchase you had to click on the link to return to the 2d boy page. Clicking on that link completed the transaction on their end. I would suggest forwarding the pay-pal email receipt (most importantly the confirmation number) to 2d boy and seeing if they can set you straight.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2009, 19:50.

News Comments > RAGE Info Incoming
14. Re: RAGE Info Incoming Jul 11, 2009, 20:03 headkase

I'll have to defer to you here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(video_game)
It mentions "unofficial" sequel but does specifically mention your GURPS. Now I gotta go read that whole article. Thanks

News Comments > RAGE Info Incoming
12. Re: RAGE Info Incoming Jul 11, 2009, 19:31 headkase

Wasteland was also on the Commodore 64 where I played it. And another bit of trivia it was the "spiritual predecessor" of Fallout I. It was the same kind of situation like System Shock 2 and Bioshock.

151 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo