Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bill Pickett

Real Name Bill Pickett   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname headkase
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 5, 2007, 06:49
Total Comments 151 (Novice)
User ID 41707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 18, 2011, 13:08 headkase

adamj wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 12:55:
The top 2% does not control 90% of the wealth. And even if it did, what do you propose we do about it? I hate the idea of government saying, you have too much wealth, let's take it and give it to others. That opens up a bag of potential massive corruption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_in_the_United_States#Wealth_Inequality_and_Class

"In 2004, the wealthiest 25% of US households owned 87% ($43.6 trillion) of the country’s wealth, while the bottom quartile held no net wealth at all."

Many times it is the fault of the poor that they have no net wealth at all. I'm not saying I won't personally help them by donating time and money ( I do), nor do I say that all of them are to blame for their situation. But dropping out of school, getting pregnant in high school with some random guy, doing drugs, etc will lead to poverty. While doing well in school, and working hard can lead to becoming wealthy. Duh. But who the hell are you or who the hell am I to say when somebody is too wealthy and that his wealth should be confiscated. As long as he earns it ethically, that is.

I never said take their money away. I said that relatively few people are really in control. "They" use propaganda and bread and circuses to mask that. I'm not saying it is a conspiracy, I'm saying that people are acting in their own selfish interests to the detriment of wider democratic principles.

Remember Glenn Beck saying "Don't use google because it's full of lies" (paraphrased)? Well, beware those who would deny you your own judgement, because in their heart they dream themselves your master.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Mar 18, 2011, 12:34 headkase

Fion wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 12:32:
The 90% of the nations wealth is controlled by 2% of the population thing is certainly worrying. But what is more so is that of those 2%, 400 people in the US control 50% of the money in the country. Now [b]that[/b] is a problem.

And I agree corporations have bought and sold our government. They put republicans in power by spending unprecedented amounts of money (thanks to Citizen's United vs. FEC) and now those republican governess, senators, etc are producing dramatic bills around the country to strip peoples rights away. To this that such acts are coincidences is pure lunacy.

Good sir,
My Steam download of Metro 2033 is almost done so I may not participate further here depending on whether or not it is any good. The Internet and Jerry Springer and Gaming too is such a wonderful version of Bread and Circuses. Another point of contention to add to decline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 18, 2011, 12:16 headkase

InBlack wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 11:38:
headkase wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 11:22:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

"Fascists seek to organize a nation according to corporatist perspectives, values, and systems, including the political system and the economy."

Baa.

Baa yourself idiot. How bout reading further down that paragraph in wikipedia or clicking the actual link.

Also, how did you infer from my post that I disagree with the view that corporate rule is bad? I just said that it isnt Fascism, not in the classical "Hitler, Musolini, Hirohito..etc.etc." sense.

Right now the USA is in a state of regulatory capture. This is a failure mode in government. Corporations are able to outright purchase the laws most favorable to them. The agencies tasked with regulating them are stacked with former members of the business in question. Don't for a instant think that back-room deals like the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement are not passed around through rings of cronies. This is a precursor to fascism - the inital blending of corporations and government. Complicating the issue is the inequality of wealth distribution. Literally 90% of the US wealth is held by 2% of the population. This 2% then spews out propaganda in forms like Fox "News" and gets the candidates they favor elected which goes back to the original point. Fascism is on the way, and the ingredients are regulatory capture and plutocracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutocracy

* Plutocracy may be substituted with plutarchy.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Mar 18, 2011, 11:22 headkase

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

"Fascists seek to organize a nation according to corporatist perspectives, values, and systems, including the political system and the economy."

Baa.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Mar 18, 2011, 10:25 headkase

Fascism is a fusion of corporations and government. Think about that, look around you and find that what was old is new again.  

News Comments > Prey 2 Revealed
4. Re: Prey 2 Revealed Mar 11, 2011, 19:33 headkase

I enjoyed the first Prey and as long as the reviews don't bomb it will likely pick up a second-installment.  

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Today
5. Re: Civilization V Patch Today Mar 1, 2011, 14:23 headkase

Here are the now final and official patch notes from 2K Greg:

Here

The new patch version is: 1.0.1.217

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Today
4. Re: Civilization V Patch Today Mar 1, 2011, 14:20 headkase

The patch is live! Downloading for me and everyone else commenting in the 2K Forums too!  

News Comments > Serious Sam HD Free DLC
1. Re: Serious Sam HD Free DLC Feb 25, 2011, 17:07 headkase

I only own Serious Sam HD The First Encounter so I don't get the free DLC Oh well, some day I might pick up the second encounter. Probably not.  

News Comments > Crytek Responds to Crysis 2 Leak
31. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 17:14 headkase

OldScho0l wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 17:10:
The only reviews that can trusted are user reviews. Most review's are bought and paid for by the game company or someone affiliated with them. I wouldn't buy any games without lots of research. The thing I'm trying to get at is that these companies are not held accountable for faulty software and if they know it is not polished, they should not charge 50-60$.
I'm not trying to justify piracy, but piracy has been going on since before recorded history and it will never go away.

User reviews are the way to go! Find a trusted site and listen to them!

26. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 16:57 headkase

OldScho0l wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 16:50:
Piracy is the way it is because game companies charge 50-60$ for unfinished products. They release their pile of junk and when it doesn't work, they figure we'll just move onto something else. Why should they care? They already have our money by then. I for one am tired of spending several days to get the games to run properly on my more than adequate machines. I have literally hundreds of PC games that I have purchased and at least half of them did not work properly upon release and half of those were never fixed with patches.
I do feel bad when devs make a solid game and they get robbed by pirates, but I am also sympathetic to the pirates who have been robbed by these same devs in the past. If games were back at the 30$ price like they were 10-13 years ago, I would buy them more often. At 60$ a pop though, we're taking a big risk because we don't know if the game is even finished. Most games these days are junk and I can't afford to buy 5 different games in order to find the one that actually works as advertised.

For all you console fanboys, your systems are junk and your games look like watered-down poop.

When a game costs $60 ($80CDN here) you wait for reviews, there is no reason to justify piracy. If the reviews are golden and you want it you plunk down your money. The "must have it now" mentality is no reason to justify a purchase on its own and even less of a reason to pirate a title.

And yes, consoles struggle to do 720p, my rig runs games at full-speed at 1080p.

10. Babies... Feb 12, 2011, 16:10 headkase

I'm still a bit sore at Crytek over the original Crysis. Remember when they were about to release a patch for it (I believe it was 1.3, 1.2.1 hotfix had just been released) and out of the blue Crytek threw a hissy fit about piracy and said they were cancelling all future patches.

Yeah, thank you you fuckers: I bought that game and you punished me in some infantile tantrum over the pirates. Guess what? Every game is pirated to the hilt, especially one that is as high profile as Crysis. Deal with it and don't punish the people who did the right thing and bought it!

News Comments > Civilization V Patched
1. Out of Beta! Dec 15, 2010, 16:35 headkase

This is the patch I've been waiting for! Every game nowadays really launches as a "beta." With this patch I finally consider Civ V to be the true 1.0. I'll be starting a fresh game in celebration tonight!  

News Comments > Dragon Gaming Speech Pack
3. Cheating? Dec 8, 2010, 21:20 headkase

Is this actually considered cheating in CoD or WoW? Sounds like a phrase-based macro system. Stringing together a bunch of commands with automation... I don't know, is it cheating?  

News Comments > EA's OnLive Skepticism
7. Piracy. Dec 7, 2010, 22:14 headkase

There is a huge incentive here. If OnLive as a technology can be made to work in all cases then in one fell swoop the issue of piracy can be mitigated almost completely. As the technology and network infrastructure matures - both in latency and supplied resolutions - OnLive or a another player doing the same thing in the future would provide the ultimate DRM system.

News Comments > CD Projekt vs Piracy
2. Re: CD Projekt vs Piracy Nov 22, 2010, 22:06 headkase

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't always been above board when it comes to acquiring software. However, over the last few years the vast majority of titles I've had the privilege to play have been. I've gone from trying it on day zero to either purchasing day zero of if unsure waiting a week or two for reviews. I don't know what started this change in me, it gradually happened as time went along. Perhaps it is just a mature look at a field? Piracy is now something I don't do.  

News Comments > Amnesia Postmortem
31. Re: Amnesia Postmortem Sep 19, 2010, 17:44 headkase

I'll let the cat out of the bag here - the Frictional employee asked me not to mention it and for 2 years now I haven't. I bought the retail version of Penumbra: Overture. It was published by a third-party for Frictional and one of the stipulations was that that third-party was wholly responsible for the patches. So, at the time my version would refuse to run correctly on my machine and there was a patch for the Frictional-store-bought version that would correct the issue. My third-party version did not have the patch available due to *ahem* crappy agreements. So, I posted on the Frictional forums that I didn't give a damn about supporting the developers, the reason I buy games is for support when needed. The Frictional person, outside of channels had me send a scan of my manual/cd so he was reasonably sure I actually did buy Penumbra: Overture. Once I emailed that scan the Frictional person emailed me back a cd-key to use with the Frictional-store patch (the third-party version did not use cd-keys).

The lesson to learn from this is that small shops with few employees are much more concerned about each individual customer. Frictional cares about you. They will do everything reasonable to make you happy - including bending the rules in very rare situations that require it. So, what would you rather have, poor customer support from a "too big to fail" company or a company like Frictional who have proved to *me* that they actually give a damn about you as an individual?

I'm poor at the moment so I haven't purchased Amnesia. When I have $20 however I'm going to pick it up from my local EB Games. You know why? Because when I bought Overture I was supported even though it bent the rules.

News Comments > EA Selling Ubisoft Stake
2. Re: EA Selling Ubisoft Stake Jul 16, 2010, 18:11 headkase

I agree: Even if Ubisoft doesn't die they have created a toxic pool of customers against them. I don't care: there are better ways to go about things, I will never purchase from the Ubisoft brand again.  

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle Update: Source Code Promise
12. Re: Humble Indie Bundle Update: Source Code Promise May 8, 2010, 19:37 headkase

So about 350,000 going to the indie developers, that works out to $70,000 each. I don't care how many people downloaded the games: that is SEVENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS for an INDIE studio. That's a serious chunk of change to a small company! And on top of that they get free advertising not only for this promotion but from the quality of these titles future games as well! Activision may look at something like this and scoff but these indie studios are in a different boat: this is a successful promotion for them!

Edit: And Penumbra Overture in particular -> Overture is part one of a three part story so if people like it they have reason to buy the other two parts which are not included in this promotion.

News Comments > Activision's Lawsuit Response
2. "Right" Apr 27, 2010, 19:22 headkase

When Activision is saying "right" they mean legal. And just because something is "legal" doesn't make it "right."  

151 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo