Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bill Pickett

Real Name Bill Pickett   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname headkase
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 5, 2007, 06:49
Total Comments 151 (Novice)
User ID 41707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam
29. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 23, 2014, 04:06 headkase

Jerykk wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 03:25:
headkase wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 01:47:
No, I did not know that. I bought my copies off of GOG.com, they aren't available for purchase there either but they're still in my purchased games list. Eh, time for a torrent then.

Why would you need to torrent them when you already have them on GOG..?

I meant for the people who never bought them legally while they were available. Piracy is a supply and demand problem, if they were available legally I'd poo-poo on the pirates but if they aren't available at all then I say go get it from an unauthorized source.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 23, 2014, 01:47 headkase

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 22:58:
headkase wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:47:
Task wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:33:
Just like when Fallout (originals) were removed from steam, some companies are just blowhards. fucking Bethesda...

Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: Tactics are back on Steam. They were removed for a short period because the sale of all Interplay IP completed to Bethesda and Bethesda took them off while they redid the art and such to rebrand the games as their own and then they put them back on Steam.

The pages exist but you still can't buy them. I'm sure you already knew that, right?

No, I did not know that. I bought my copies off of GOG.com, they aren't available for purchase there either but they're still in my purchased games list. Eh, time for a torrent then.

10. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 22, 2014, 16:47 headkase

Task wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:33:
Just like when Fallout (originals) were removed from steam, some companies are just blowhards. fucking Bethesda...

Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: Tactics are back on Steam. They were removed for a short period because the sale of all Interplay IP completed to Bethesda and Bethesda took them off while they redid the art and such to rebrand the games as their own and then they put them back on Steam.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Rambo The Video Game
5. TEH VIDEO GAME!!11!!1 Feb 21, 2014, 13:39 headkase

If something says "the video game" you know it was created by clueless twats. Also, it sounds heavily scripted by nature of making you encounter all the movie plot check-boxes.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 21:15 headkase

http://i.imgur.com/xXd1A0d.jpg

Every time you hear Microsoft "recommend" an Xbox 360 what you should really hear is "you should use a PS4." Of course Microsoft is going to recommend an old-gen product of their own rather than a next-gen which doesn't have the bullshit they do.

News Comments > Star Trek: The Video Game Footage
6. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Footage Apr 10, 2013, 21:11 headkase

"The Video Game." No shit, I thought it was an ice-cream cone prize. It seems they can't even come up with an original sub-title, I'll pass if that permeates through the "video game."  

News Comments > Minimum Announced
4. Re: Minimum Announced Apr 9, 2013, 23:33 headkase

For once I agree with Cutter, it's fugly.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer
15. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 21:57 headkase

Dev wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 21:45:
More than likely, you can also sell the browser game pre-order code on ebay for another $5-$10 to people who want a complete thing, but don't want to pre-order.

You have to redeem the Industrial Revolution pre-order code on the Fink Manufacturing web-site however to get another code which you can then redeem in Steam for some pre-order items.

11. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 21:19 headkase

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 21:12:
headkase wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 21:10:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 20:52:
What's the suggestion if you already own XCOM and previous Bioshock titles?

If you already own Bioshock 1 and XCOM:EU on Steam then you are able to gift them to another Steam account. If you don't own them, I didn't, they become part of your library without a choice offered. The Team Fortress 2 items I just ignored - no option to give for those, they're yours.

Well I meant what would be the best/cheapest option to get the game if I already own all the bonus stuff they give away for preordering

If that is the case, and you aren't interested in gifting to a friend, then watch out for sales. I thought I saw somewhere that it was on sale on Green Man Gaming but I can't be arsed to look..

9. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 21:10 headkase

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 20:52:
What's the suggestion if you already own XCOM and previous Bioshock titles?

If you already own Bioshock 1 and XCOM:EU on Steam then you are able to gift them to another Steam account. If you don't own them, I didn't, they become part of your library without a choice offered. The Team Fortress 2 items I just ignored - no option to give for those, they're yours.

5. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 20:47 headkase

ItBurn wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 19:35:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 19:25:
Well, the trailer looks good and the reviews have been glowing. I'm stoked to play this.

Bioshock looked good and the reviews were impossibly amazing, but while it started strong, it quickly became boring and repetitive. I was at the end boss and couldn't be bothered to finish it. Getting a similar vibe from this one, but I'm slightly interested in it. Reviews seem to say that the mechanics suck, but that it contains genuinely unique experiences. Will wait for rebate.

Wait for rebate?! If you don't own XCOM: Enemy Unknown then buy it now, while it is still pre-order for a few more hours, and get that. That is $50 alone.

News Comments > Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues?
8. Workflow Feb 18, 2013, 04:02 headkase

An improvement you say?

http://xkcd.com/1172/

There's an xkcd comic for every situation.

News Comments > John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support
44. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 13:28 headkase

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 13:10:
Yeah, like I said in my second paragraph, it isn't time or resource intensive, just requires hiring some Linux people.

Also, it isn't as easy as just hitting "deploy." Sorry, doesn't work like that. Sure, if you choose to go with UE3 or CryEngine it's close, but id, of course, isn't doing that. So they need to hire some Linux people. And many other companies don't do that. So they'd need to hire some Linux people. And even those using UE3 often modify the code. So they'd need to hire some Linux people.

Like you said, what needs to be done is to have engine developers create Linux back ends. Some people need to be hired to do that.

I never said they need to hire game developers, I said game programmers. As in, they need programmers that understand both Linux and game engines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25L1Wx97CFM

CryEngine 3 with one controller running the same content on three different architectures at the same time. You're right though, I was going in the general when this topic is id specific. See my further post below for a better explanation of what I meant - which agrees with you in the bold strokes.

37. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 12:19 headkase

yuastnav wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:46:
Wouldn't that make the code extremely inefficient?

No. A back-end is a logical unit of code. For each function to be provided you use one back-end per system. A PS3 environment will use the PS3 back-end and so on. There is no intermingling of code which means that on the target system there will only be the code needed for that system. Since code is not intermingled there is no performance penalty. You don't have one lego-piece that does it all but instead have a few different flavors of the same piece that you can use interchangeably.

Game engines are the proper place to put the different back-ends. With the number one reason being that if the support is in the engine then it massively reduces the duplication of effort between all the content developers who license that engine. For the longest time game engines have been tightly-coupled to the environment they ran in. Say an older engine would only run on Windows. Within the last few years however that coupling is being removed. Game developers do not write their code with a specific operating system in mind but instead write their code for a specific engine in mind. The workflow is: Content -> Engine -> Operating System. That is the "abstraction", the engine sits between the Operating System and the Content. The engine developers implement a variety of back-ends - the parts that touch the operating system - and then game developers are free to target whichever they choose. And because the game engine abstracts the operating system details then a game developer, in a proper case, would have to make exactly zero changes to their content when targeting a different system. The engine would do that.

Viable back-ends are obviously the consoles and Windows and Mac PCs. An engine developer however would only have to write a Linux back-end once and then maintain it like the other back-ends. Just by having that Linux back-end a game developer could then reap an additional 1% of sales right now without modifying any of their content to enable that. When Valve comes out with their mythical box expect the Source engine to have a back-end, obviously, for that and Source content - again in the ideal case - won't have to be modified at all to leverage the engine no matter the back-end.

34. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 11:37 headkase

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:04:
Valve's problem is going to be getting anyone to actually make Linux games. Like you said, "If they... get some large software developers aboard...." that's a big if. It's a risk. They need to hire Linux game programmers, something not really plentiful now. It's a big leap. Some will stick a toe in the waters, but don't expect anyone committing capital to jump in the deep end before anything is proven.

And, if it becomes proven, it isn't hard for others to adapt to it. Actually kicking out the product for Linux isn't really time or resource intensive, but it does require hiring some new people.

Having every developer writing for Linux is stupid. What needs to be done is that the engine developers write Linux-back-ends. When you develop your game for CryEngine 3 you don't say "oh my gosh! I have to write to the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC API!" No, shit. With CryEngine 3 you press the "deploy" button and the code needed at the lower levels - stuff dealing with operating systems and graphics and audio API's - is abstracted away from your content. If a engine developer makes an OpenGL back-end the developer of a game doesn't have to give two shits about it. They just press "deploy." Sorry, they have to press deploy 4 times: once each for Xbox 360, PS3, PC, and Linux. A properly written game engine will abstract away the lower level details and make it so a game developer doesn't have to give a single flying fuck about them.

News Comments > Valve on Linux Plans
41. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 12:42 headkase

NetHead wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 10:12:
headkase wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 03:02:
Really. Check out my desktop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOE6fUQTjqs

I made that video, that's my voice, get a clue.

Sorry but those are the most useless features I've even seen being showed off, for anything not just Linux. I watched it twice just to make sure. All that shows is useless gimmicky features are being added instead of sensible usability.

In fact it's worse than that if anything, since you yourself in it state recording while simply using the OS slows things down.

Wow, impressive.

Oh and I just have to add, the video wraps around the cube? That's such a great feature, I'm going to watch all my videos like that from now on.

Oh my god.

http://i.imgur.com/PcUd3.jpg

So, FRAPS doesn't drop your frame-rate when you are recording a game? Get a clue: my frame-rate while recording a full HD 1080p desktop dropped a little from "silky smooth" to "barely notice lag." Also, what I showed in that video are the mouse functions. All that desktop management also is controllable from the keyboard. I mostly do use the keyboard to switch back and forth between applications and desktops.

Of course you wouldn't watch a video wrapped on a cube, idjit, that was a contrived example to show the integration of the 3D desktop with applications that run within it. There is no equivalent to Compiz - the 3D desktop - on Windows that I know of. The functionality somewhat exists on Mac, but don't let being totally ignorant of how other systems work - even if you did watch the video twice - get in your way.

http://i.imgur.com/IkWdY.gif

News Comments > Valve on Linux Plans
23. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 03:02 headkase

Riker wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:01:
I'm curious to see where it goes. For now, Linux remains too fucking ugly and user-unfriendly for me to care about it.

Really. Check out my desktop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOE6fUQTjqs

I made that video, that's my voice, get a clue.

News Comments > Steam Linux Plans
10. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 00:39 headkase

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 00:19:
headkase wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:53:
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:36:
Have you tried using PlayOnLinx? Its pretty much an installer for Windows games with a preset Wine setup. So it will install your Windows game with the best working version of Wine for that program and the extras it needs.

Just installed it now, thanks. I remember trying it ages ago but at that time I already had a Crossover license so I didn't stick with it. This new version I just installed, after a few years, looks good - I'll have to kick the tires and see how good..

Works good for me. I remember when it first came out... wasn't good but glad to see it's improved.

Yes, last time I tried PlayonLinux it was pretty primitive: right away I can see that it is much more polished.

Slashman wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 00:26:
headkase wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:27:
Good news for me. I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04 as my only operating system. I also have a huge library of Steam games that I'm currently not using as per the previous sentence.

Perhaps I missed something...but why would you have a huge library of Steam games and still be running only Linux?

Because I haven't always just run Linux as my only OS. For a while I ran it in a virtual machine, then I dual-booted, and now it is all that is installed. It's a gateway OS I tell ya..

6. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 16, 2012, 23:53 headkase

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 23:36:
Have you tried using PlayOnLinx? Its pretty much an installer for Windows games with a preset Wine setup. So it will install your Windows game with the best working version of Wine for that program and the extras it needs.

Just installed it now, thanks. I remember trying it ages ago but at that time I already had a Crossover license so I didn't stick with it. This new version I just installed, after a few years, looks good - I'll have to kick the tires and see how good..

4. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 16, 2012, 23:27 headkase

Good news for me. I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04 as my only operating system. I also have a huge library of Steam games that I'm currently not using as per the previous sentence. Running proprietary AMD drivers on my install and that will absolutely be a prerequisite for running any commercial game. L4D2 isn't my most favorite game but I do own it so it would be nice if I automatically received the Linux version. In future, with other Valve/Source titles it would be awesome if they were SteamPlay and I could purchase once and play on all supported platforms. And WINE? Yeah, it works a lot but then again it doesn't work a lot too. And sometimes you'll upgrade it and something that worked stops working too. So, native Linux versions would be much more desirable than leaning on WINE.

151 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo