Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 757 (Graduate)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Universal Combat CE Free on Steam
39. Re: Universal Combat CE Free on Steam Feb 9, 2015, 18:19 NewMaxx

yuastnav wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 16:11:
So why does he feel the need to pretend he has a PhD? I never understood that part. Everyone knows he doesn't have one so why fake it?

Because he's an epic troll. It's a sickness! I noticed some people here on Blue's News aren't much better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Universal Combat CE Free on Steam
18. Re: Universal Combat CE Free on Steam Feb 9, 2015, 14:54 NewMaxx

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 10:30:
Smart always sounded to me like the worst kind of jackass. But the jackass is doing a nice thing here.

So, thanks. Jackass.

If you really talk to the guy about it, he admits that it's an online persona of sorts. He feels the need to project that personality because his origins in the gaming scene kind of demand it. It's difficult to explain if you're not an old school gamer, but basically in the early days of the Internet there were a lot of gaming forums and they all had egos the size of Texas running them, modding them, discussing on them, etc., and this was especially true of indie developers. A modern example would be Phil Fish, an older example might be John Romero, but essentially Derek Smart makes games because he likes the challenge but also because he likes to role-play online life as a gaming gangster.

It is a nice gesture and while I never really got into any of his games, I did appreciate what he was trying to do. He had some really great ideas and sometimes things actually did work, it was just tough to get into and never really "complete."

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Feb 7, 2015, 21:54 NewMaxx

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 21:18:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 12:51:
What I find surprising is there are still quite a few people that still don't related Republicans to big business.

What I find surprising is that there are still quite a few people who don't "related" Republicans to Democrats, since they are basically all the same. Coke and Pepsi. They may smell a little different, but they're both bad for you.

Yeah, exactly. EVERYONE is related to big business. Politics is a money game, whether you're talking the oligarchy in Russia or a democratic, capitalist society like the US. There's campaign contributions, there's lobbyists, there's taxes, you simply don't make it big in politics without financial backing. Actually, and ironically given HorrorScope's statement, it's often candidates from parties like the Tea Party that can get elected outside of that money game. When they talk about "Washington outsiders" they tend to mean anybody not attached to big money as much as they mean they never had a career in politics, and there's a reason for that: politics IS money, and money is big business.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Feb 6, 2015, 12:34 NewMaxx

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 09:42:
2 hours to learn a game isn't much of a time investment and it really depends on the genre. It is really hard to make a game with depth if any user can "learn" it in 20 minutes. The best games are smart about how they unfold mechanics gradually over time.

I just started playing Star Trek Online again, and it's taken me three full days to wrap my head around all the mechanics again...let alone the stuff they've added since I last played two years ago. It's a free-to-play game with complexities that are mild compared to many MMOs and I find teens and pre-teens with mastery of it on a regular basis while all the mainstays are older, married Trekkers.

Battlefield? It's more about learning the maps. You can break down the "situations" you meet in that type of game into about a dozen base encounters with some deviance. It doesn't use some new fancy control scheme, it doesn't try a lot of new things, people who have played older games in the series or Call of Duty or even Counterstrike have very little to "learn." That's kind of the idea.

The idea that their games are "too hard to learn" is around-speak for "we want to simplify things even more." Really? I already have difficulty playing these types of games in my 30s because it breaks down into shitty netcode twitch-gaming on a regular basis (Planetside 2 is the only game I can manage in the genre) with a bunch of annoying kids who have nothing better to do after school...no thanks.

"Every game is a RPG now" - maybe by your definition, EA Exec, but certainly not mine.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 3, 2015, 15:53 NewMaxx

CrabbyGnome wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 11:51:
Netflix needs to get educated on the consoles or clarify their position. Both can already do 4K at 30hz now. So unless they mean 60hz or higher color depths than current 1.4 HDMI can do then they are mistaken.

To take a quote from another commenter on another site:
"The PS4/Xbox One are both 4K capable with H.264, but neither of them support HDCP 2.2 for protected content, HDMI 2.0 for higher frame rates, or HEVC for higher quality at lower bitrates."

News Comments > Ubisoft Reinstates Far Cry 4 Keys
19. Re: Ubisoft Reinstates Far Cry 4 Keys Feb 2, 2015, 23:00 NewMaxx

Chain of blame:
#1 Owner of stolen credit card. Should become aware of it more quickly, or in the very least should use proper security precautions when shopping online...or just in general.
#2 Credit card company. Should be aware that buying bulk digital goods, likely unusual for most of the #1's, is a potentially fradulent activity much more quickly.
#3 EA/Origin. Point of sale, they should be careful selling in bulk and look for other unusual traffic patterns and sources. Just because they bought with "good" credit cards doesn't mean they weren't using proxies/VPNs that are pretty damn obvious.
#4 G2A/Kinguin/etc. Vendors who purchased these keys. Clearly liable, should always check their sources and be wary of something that's too good to be true.
#5 Buyers of the fradulent keys. You're going to a cheapskate site, know the risks. I personally would be upset if I found out my money was going towards criminal activities so directly.

There's at least 5 sources to blame BEFORE Ubisoft. Let me state from my legal experience that any fradulent or stolen goods, when confronted with the law and identified, can and will immediately be confiscated without any compensation. The fact Ubisoft was pressured to let it slide just illustrates how the common person views digital goods. Had these been games sold physically at a brick and mortar gaming store with all the other details the same, would you have the same reaction? Let me tell you from my experience (again) as a younger gamer back in the day, I dealt with a lot of shady places to get rare and imported games and if you get shafted, you get shafted. Blows my mind that people feel so entitled these days.

That being said, good move by Ubisoft, although they were likely PR pressured into it (albeit unfairly, IMHO). It's the right move to make but I still think it's ridiculous.

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Sold
27. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Sold Feb 2, 2015, 18:03 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 16:49:
Everything SOE had in development was for both PC and PS4. So this is an odd move, not sure what prompted it.

I enjoyed Planetside 2 a lot and they really had a good connection with the community. Some of their ideas with regard to the Player Studio and some of their upcoming titles were about as close to innovative as the industry gets these days. Definitely a shame.

As for what prompted it, well, let me just say you are dealing with marginal operations where something has to be cut, and gaming (esp. online) has had a pretty rough image in recent times. The guys holding the purse strings don't necessarily know much about gaming but they definitely have social media gurus telling them which way the wind blows.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 29, 2015, 07:31 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 13:53:
Now however, cops need a warrant to check someone's phone, per a SCOTUS case last year. The big problem is that I'm not sure that most people realize it. As I understand it, requesting a warrant to avoid a search is opt in. Meaning they can request to look at your phone without a warrant, but it's up to you to know you can refuse. Seems like it should be the other way around: "You can refuse a warrantless search of your phone, but I'm requesting to look at it anyway."

They don't need a warrant in all cases, they can also do a search if it is done during (search incident) a lawful arrest if there is probable cause that evidence exists on it pertinent to the trial. The idea is that evidence could be destroyed. If they wait until after the item is in their possession, they do require a warrant.

In this case, though, they had to ask and she had to accept (which she did). She was inebriated and probably not aware of the law...reminds one of Miranda rights. The fact is cell phones have long been on shaky legal grounds with searches and that vagueness leaves it up in the air. They had no reason to expect evidence to exist on it and of course had no right to anything that wasn't flagged as evidence.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
20. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 12:04 NewMaxx

I frequent a lot of European gaming forums and these guys really do go to great lengths to get the best deals on keys. It reminds me a bit of the drug business where people try to get back alley deals on certain strains they want at even a small discount. For every five guys that get what they want, there's a sixth who gets "beat" for his money. This is that case. For those saying these are Ubisoft customers, well see that's my point. If I usually get my buds from Maddog but try Shady Lopez for a small discount, and it turns out Shady Lopez paid Maddog for bulk in counterfeit cash, I'm not Maddog's customer I'm Shady Lopez's customer because THE ONLY PERSON WHO GOT REAL MONEY is Shady Lopez.

Legally, at best you could say they had the intention of becoming Ubisoft customers, which does protect them from liability. If they intended to buy legal keys with legal funds from what they perceived is a legal source, they are within their lawful rights. That's not relevant, though. Stolen property or counterfeit property is always confiscated by the authorities without any compensation.

News Comments > Dying Light Dawns
27. Re: Dying Light Dawns Jan 27, 2015, 18:20 NewMaxx

SLI is working fine with the profile released today (requires the geforce experience 2.2.2 or whatever), biggest issues seem to be view distance and textures. Must be a VRAM optimization issue.  

News Comments > Dying Light Dawns
22. Re: Dying Light Dawns Jan 27, 2015, 16:49 NewMaxx

Running 2xGTX 760, 1080P, max view distance and settings except for medium on shadows, depth of field and motion blur off (don't like those effects in any game), v-sync on. Uses 55-60% of my GPUs indoors, 70-80% outdoors, according to Afterburner. Driver 347.25. It doesn't feel like it performs well, though...inconsistent framerate/stuttering.

*edit* new SLI profile as of today, gonna try it and report back

*reporting back* Not GPU limited at all, tried various settings...performance issues are something else.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2015, 17:20.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2015, 02:32 NewMaxx

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 22:45:
The reason this planned functionality took so long to be discovered, is like 98% of people don't even use all 4GB of VRAM. As already mentioned, you shouldn't be playing games in 4K with a single 970 anyway because your performance is going to be barely acceptable at best, regardless of that gimped 512MB.

Pretty much. Like wattage for a PSU, people vastly overestimate how much VRAM they need. I have 2 massively overclocked GTX 760s in SLI with only 2GB (memory in SLI is duplicated) and at any setting in Shadow of Mordor where I ran into memory issues, there was either practically 0 real texture difference or a situation where my cores couldn't keep up, anyway. I play for 60+ FPS. Assassin's Creed: Unity would hitch on anything but the lowest...unless I started on the lowest and then put on max (and put back to lowest before exiting). Suddenly I'm on max settings at 1080P with 60+ FPS with only 2GB of VRAM. It's largely marketing.

That being said, I would probably be upset if I had purchased dual 970s for SLI, which I considered doing. You would probably be fine with 4GB but you'd be pushing it close enough that the difference between 3.5GB and 4GB might actually force you to compromise. Those people probably would be justified in wanting a refund, but you can't offer it to some people and not others...really, Nvidia should know better because 2x970 is very compelling.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record
18. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 19:33 NewMaxx

Hump wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 17:22:
Which is a good explanation for an MMO, which is what it is. If the game were simplistic like CoD, BF series etc. it would have a shelf life of less than 6 months. That depth is what keeps the game fresh. Go play some Sunday when there are usually good chains of command in place, the battles are epic. I can still remember battles from the original game that are still vivid in my memory.

I think to most people MMO means "grindfest." Those first 100 hours are more like suicide bomber training, though, if I remember correctly!

I wasn't criticizing the game. I love it. I was just answering the guy's question honestly: if you can't devote time to explore and appreciate the depth of the game, don't bother. You're right that other MMOs are involved but on the other hand I can level to max in WoW in a week soooo, yeah.

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 19:28 NewMaxx

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 15:46:
So pretty much my crash course on Planetside 2:

-Vehicles Tanks usually don't cap bases.
-Sniper never cap bases or responsible for a good defense. Pretty much infil-shitters are only good for recon dongles and SMGs.
-Use REDEPLOY all the time, never foot zerg into another base.
If no redeploy to next base, PULL A SUNDERER AND MAKE ONE.
-Sunderers and Galaxies are always needed.
-Medic and Engineer are great ways to get lots of XP early for certs.
-Look up which guns give you a more speed while AIM DOWN SIGHTS.
-Always double up on MAX guns, so two anti-infantry guns, two anti-tank, Two anti-air. Never mix them since you're killing your effectiveness.

Yeah, tanks farm. I mostly use my trusty Lightning to break out or flank/support. It's got the speed and versatility to be great squad support.

I actually play infiltrator more than anything now that I'm skilled. I'm not the type to just snipe or lolsmg, actually I specialize at defense (my defense stats in the game are extremely high for my rank) and squad support/recon. I'm very often the first guy in a base but I don't cap, I just observe and communicate.

Yep, abuse redeploy, and get those sunderers out there!

Engineer is the most useful class but I find people run it too much because they repair their own vehicles, a tactic I'm not fond of really. Medics tend to have a low KDR but it's a great all-around class and a good way to learn by watching.

Some people hipfire, some people ADS (aim down sights). .75x multiplier for the latter helps a lot. Depends on your style. I'm not as fast as I used to be twitch-wise but I have fantastic tactics and awareness so I tend to ADS before they know where I am.

The Max takes a lot of investment. Very much worth it, though. Dual bursters are a lot of fun.

I would also add: have many different layouts for each class and memorize their numbers. You should be able to jump to a console and switch to the role needed without a second thought, often multiple times in a short period of time.

7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 14:51 NewMaxx

Parias wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:58:
Can you explain in more detail? I haven't played the game all that much and was thinking of getting back into it, so I'm curious what exactly you mean.

It's a great game but it takes a lot of dedication. You really need to put in over 100 hours before you get good enough to know the ins and outs and nuances. It's definitely a lot easier to play in a clan as they will bring you under their wing and get you directly into the action. Solo players (like myself) have to know the game very well to know where to be and when.

6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 14:49 NewMaxx

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:42:
Poor SOE while they might have had that many people fighting on the server anyone that plays planetside 2 knows the battles are very spread out over a large area. Battles in Eve are far more intensive.

Some of the better-designed areas get some amazing battles that you just can't get anywhere else in a FPS, IMHO. They are constantly redesigning the bases with community feedback to make for better battles. For people not involved or into that process it can seem otherwise, though.

5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 14:45 NewMaxx

Wildone wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:34:
This game flat out SUCKS. Unless your in a clan and play 12 hrs a day. Otherwise, forget about it.

I play entirely by myself and always have. Been out of the game for a while but I did just fine. I don't have that many hours in it really, maybe 600 in over two years.

My player ID:
https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428130184559952849

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Announced
19. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 21:12 NewMaxx

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 16:14:
Wasteland 2 was a letdown? I thought it was great.

I just started playing it (already to level 21) as I was waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out and I think it's pretty true to the original in many ways. Not perfect, but definitely better than mediocre. If they can improve on it then they have my interest for other games.

18. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 21:05 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 19:10:
Once he mentioned Hearth Stone, This game became doomed.

He's talking about two concepts: emergent gameplay, and the metagame. Emergent gameplay is when simple elements and mechanics lead to very complex possibilities when manipulated in tandem. The metagame is effectively gaming the system by using nuances of these mechanics in unexpected ways while keeping up with developing strategies. High level play in things like Hearthstone and MOBAs is actually pretty complicated.

I agree that his example isn't the best. A better one would be something like Magicka.

17. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 21:00 NewMaxx

Sc4r wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 14:52:
I only played the 1st bards tale and loved playing it, not sure y i didnt play the other ones.Anyways, i wonder how the combat system will b, unlike wasteland 2 where it was whoever had the highest Awareness on either side would get to fight 1st? If i remember correctly in bards tale 1 u usually got to fight 1st unless the enemy surprised you.

From the IGN article,

"'Traditional turn-based combat,' as Fargo calls it, bases turns on varying factors, creating battles in which different characters attacked at different times, often alternating between opposing sides. But in The Bard's Tale IV, teams attack all at once."

757 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo