Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 507 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek Announces Arena of Fate
15. Re: Crytek Announces Arena of Fate May 22, 2014, 13:05 NewMaxx

The MOBA genre is the Facebook of games. As to why Crytek is getting involved, it's not too far different than why Google made Google+, or why Microsoft embedded Skype with Live, or why your cellular phone company holds you to 2-year contracts, or why your credit card gives you reward points.

The modern theory of consumer economics is based entirely on the user base and, specifically, contracts. A regular income is worth far more to the market than a one-time payment, which is why retailers (point-of-sale) have razer-thin margins and push things like reward programs and their own credit cards.

This concept (credit) has been around for centuries, yes, of course. What is new is "social credit," like you see with things like (again) Facebook, Xbox Live, etc. MOBAs happen to be incredibly popular - people even talk about them around watercoolers - and this, like WoW, presents an opportunity to bank social credit. Crytek wants in on that because all the big movers in the industry (EA, Ubisoft, Activision-Blizzard, etc.) are staking their claims.

Is Steam the exception? Not at all. Steam is a neutral player, actually, which gives it special status. Steam doesn't have to worry about branding like those other names do, like Crytek must do if it wants to remain relevant. It's as simple as that. Naturally gamers like us rally against it because it seems like a dilution of what made the originals so great, but we eventually accept this Costco of gaming for what it is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed
33. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 12:13 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on May 20, 2014, 11:44:
Why Carmack ever thought this was a great idea is beyond me...

He thought it was a good idea because it essentially is a trade-off of space for texture quality. The problem was applying it to polygons (mainly stream/LOD issues - "pop-in"). Not that UE3 didn't have similar issues (and in both cases you can fix it with some custom configuration) but then the only advantage it leaves is OpenGL. You will see a similar concept (well, an analogue anyway) used with the Voxel Farm Engine (Everquest Next) that is actually practical and useful, using voxels instead...but still OpenGL ("microvoxels") that encourages procedural design.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2014, 12:22.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2014, 13:23 NewMaxx

Panickd wrote on May 19, 2014, 10:16:
For machines with video chips that are so low powered that developers are having issues pulling 1080p out of them consistently, I think 8GB (or the 5 or 6GB that is left after the OS takes its chunk) is plenty for the next gen consoles.

I had another post on here where I basically state that this trend was a form of Parkinson's law. Developers always love more memory because you can always store crap in there for later. Is it necessary? Hell no. Is it even helpful? Minimally, but only for lazy design.

Historically, gaming devices have always been memory-restricted and if anything it's produced some of the most efficient code. I realize that the current gen of consoles is closer to a PC than ever before, which is why they have as much memory as they do. Still, to suggest that memory is the bottleneck is...laughable. It's like saying your 100 HP flatbed truck is limited by its carrying capacity and not the engine power.

His point might be that some methods used to compensate for weaker GPU performance involve a memory trade-of (Mantle, BF4, and Windows 8, for example), but it doesn't have as dire an impact as he suggests.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2014, 13:32.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2014, 21:45 NewMaxx

Windows 8 is great for tablets and touchscreen devices. For everything else...not so much.  

News Comments > Halo PC GameSpy Fix Coming
1. Re: Halo PC GameSpy Fix Coming May 12, 2014, 17:37 NewMaxx

One victory at a time.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2014, 09:52 NewMaxx

Just finished reading a book that mentioned Florence in passing, pretty solid read given recent political moves in the world. The author tends to suggest she is overrated in some respects (success rates, inclusivity) but accurately in others (organization/administration).  

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Into the Black May 12, 2014, 08:20 NewMaxx

Meh, the entire series is overrated (much like The Witcher), made for people who like to pretend they are hardcore, adult gamers but really meant for them to wave around their Game of Thrones-esque epeens in alternating targets of newbs and fellow circle appreciators. Great, you like to engross yourself in a challenging, dark game world that is so different than the cookie-cutter casual candy land that you rally against as an effigy of the real world. Never mind that the community cultures behind these games are more akin to the workplace watercooler than the dungeon of the forsaken such gamers like to pretend it is. Instead of acting grown up, maybe you should just grow up. (applies to some of the players, not all)

That being said, if you're going to review a game like this you really should approach it as one of those players rather than as a generic gamer. It's meant for a particular audience and it is unfair to the artistic style and vision of the game to pretend it's something it's not. I'm all for some universal conventions when judging a game but you need to be open-minded in any genre of entertainment. I readily appreciate Dark Souls for what it has to offer, it certainly is unique, and while I get some of his arguments are valid he should have done some research beforehand. Then again, I guess many DS vets like to avoid the wikification of the game...but for newbs like the reviewer he should embrace all the help can get.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
55. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2014, 06:59 NewMaxx

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 12, 2014, 03:57:
All hail the gravis gamepad, and it's slow breakdown and destruction. I can't remember how many of those things I went through playing tie fighter and x-wing.

Oh man, I had one of the original Gravis GamePads (you can still get all that stuff on Ebay), loved those things. I got it when it came out in, I think it was 1991, so that would put it at 23 years ago. Wish I wouldn't have tossed it out at some point...

News Comments > EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds
14. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 20:29 NewMaxx

GameRanger is what we use these days, but it doesn't have support for some of these proprietary titles (naturally). Of course, some games require dedicated, non-player servers, and will need a different fix.  

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collector's Edition Preorders
14. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collector's Edition Preorders May 10, 2014, 12:26 NewMaxx

Hell, I buy everything online. It's where I get my computer parts and hardware...my computers (tablets, laptop) and electronics (Chromecast, cameras), exercise equipment (rowing machine and recumbent exercise bike), smartphones, all things purchased within the last year. The only thing I don't buy online is groceries and actually even that is being challenged; I regularly get my coffee from Amazon and since a lot of my favorite foods are up north where I used to live, I even order that down here (Wild Bill's beef jerky, Turkey Hill, etc). I still need Walmart for bulk but to be honest, they've been pushing Amazon very hard with the online market lately, so it's only a matter of time.

That being said, I don't have Prime...although I did for a time. After one particularly bad shipping fiasco I threatened to cut it and went through with it even though they did mostly reimburse me. Was way too much hassle when I get nearly as good service without it. Honestly after my latest visit to the local Costco, I've realized I want nothing to do with the masses who inhabit these locales...I guess if you like crowds of ignoramuses relying on their shopping apps you will enjoy buying things in person. I respect that some people don't have the time to do research, though.

To get back on subject, though, there's no way in hell I'm buying this. I do, of course, still have my original Homeworld CD and case, but I'm not sold on USB gizmos.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2014, 12:31.

News Comments > Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds
77. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 7, 2014, 20:52 NewMaxx

To ever suggest that self-policing is an ideal solution with anything is just...short-sighted. There's always regulation, the question is simply one of how much or how little is appropriate. If you read the Reddit post and see things like, post editing, a stolen image, past history of fraud, etc., it's hard to fathom how something like that got past the filters when other, legitimate and far more deserving games can't catch a break. I've written articles at Wikipedia which is largely self-policed and let me tell you, having that sort of system where money is involved is just downright negligent.

Yes, the system worked since the guy did get caught...after the community got ridiculously vocal about it (and one should not assume someone will always care that much). I also understand that it's "early access" and one can never expect anything to be really delivered. That's irrelevant. It's basic contract law again at play - the concept of good faith (which I seem to bring up on here every day), and this "developer" did not act in good faith. This is not something that should be handled ad hoc by the community, it should simply never exist as a problem in the first place.

As for my thoughts about early access...not sure I care either way on a personal level, but as a gamer I do believe I should take a stance on some issues surrounding it. What happens with it will affect game design down the road. Considering I've also worked on indie games and want to again in the near future, I definitely care as a potential developer. It's a challenging industry but again, I shouldn't have to worry about things like this, it's akin to submitting a fake resume and then getting hired with 0 background screening.

News Comments > WildStar Open Beta This Week
17. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 7, 2014, 04:52 NewMaxx

InBlack wrote on May 7, 2014, 04:00:
Does it have permadeath? No?

Sorry. Not hardcore enough. The only type of MMO I would even consider playing today would be one with permadeath, you kids think Vanilla Wow was hardcore...Hhahahhahah

Wizardry Online had (game was closed) permadeath, which was pretty awesome (they had plenty of ways around it, though). I don't consider vanilla WoW to be anywhere near hardcore, stated that in various ways, I said relatively hardcore. Relative to what the game became afterwards, relative to other MMOs that came after its release, etc. Wildstar (like vanilla WoW) is merely a balance between hardcore and casual.

15. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 23:18 NewMaxx

It's definitely two different markets. People tend to think the market Wildstar is going for is less saturated but I'm not so sure I'd agree. There are plenty of hardcore, raiding-centric MMOs out there, they just don't always get a lot of attention. Certainly Wildstar does it well and is more polished than most so I can understand why people like that. Again, I think it leans a bit to the easier side if anything, which is what vanilla WoW did so well.

These same people think that ESO's market is the more saturated one, that is to say the "theme park MMO" market that caters to casuals. The problem is that hardcore games are always niche and furthermore, when they do get popular (vanilla WoW again), you have the top 10% arguing for changes that encourage min/maxing which slowly but surely pushes the other 90% out of the loop. The developers are forced to make the game easier over time (backfiring) in response to build optimization.

ESO made it clear from the get go that it wasn't going to follow that mode. Statements were made directly in reference to not catering to this hardcore crowd. You already see VR10's (I am a VR10 myself) complaining that the game is too easy and that the soft caps suck. Of course the game is too easy...it's meant to be balanced for tons of different builds, which the soft caps allow more room for because it's hard to optimize a given build. So it's not really the same theme park MMO experience that people like to paint it as, it's just avoiding the pitfalls that most of them do, IMHO.

That being all said, both games have their place...I would have chosen Wildstar ten years ago, but today I prefer ESO. I understand some people like the hardcore raid experience...fine...but not every game has to be like that. You have Wildstar. I understand you hate theme park MMO's, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement with them. There's a demand for both types of games and again I'm not convinced either market is over-saturated...people just tend to stick to one MMO.

11. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 22:13 NewMaxx

Hahaha, I was a paladin in the initial 40-man raids and had to buff 40 people every 5 minutes without the aid of frames. That still wasn't as hardcore as many of my earlier MMO experiences but I have no desire to go back to that...

It's true, raids these days have been streamlined a lot. Even 20-man feels too large. The 12-man trials in ESO actually feel pretty much perfect (still only on PTS).

9. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 21:58 NewMaxx

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 6, 2014, 21:43:
If that is the only thing people can say, it negates every single post that says "Wildstar is better than ESO"

F that.

Anybody who says that with a blanket statement is full of shit, yeah. The only way it is superior is that it has a vanilla WoW feel to it that a lot of people miss. I admit being a bit nostalgic for it, myself - after playing the beta the best thing I had to say for the game is that it felt familiar and comfortable.

On the other hand, people constantly want something new out of a MMO and ESO didn't satisfy them, so I guess they figure that they'd rather stick with a facsimile of the old. If that sounds hypocritical, then...well, yeah that pretty much sums it up.

7. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 21:39 NewMaxx

There are a lot of people who loved vanilla WoW, myself included, who left because the game got progressively easier. I actually left at the very first expansion because I was part of that 1% crowd. Every expansion saw more of the hardcore vets leave if they had any sense.

The problem is finding the right balance, because there are hardcore MMOs out there that work as a niche product (EVE), and the rest are more casual, theme park style. It seems Wildstar is shooting in-between those marks and will probably get some people from each camp, but at the end of the day it's not going to be a multi-million player MMO.

As far as the solo experience goes, I am definitely a big MMO player and have been since the advent of the genre and I love to solo as much as I can. I avoided voice outright until after WoW, actually, since I preferred a more intuitive style over barking commands. Nevertheless I have to say that to get the most out of a modern MMO, you absolutely need to play with others, it's just the way it is, and the more hardcore the MMO the more it is required.

5. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 20:18 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:44:
Warning: It's not really a good game for kiddies

The leveling curve isn't as fast as most modern MMOs, and with the focus on bringing back a "vanilla WoW" style of raiding, it'll be too hardcore for a lot of folks.

Yep, this game is definitely not for kiddies...it's intended for the more hardcore audience. "Vanilla WoW" is a good way of putting it, although that was hardly hardcore, but relative to everything else these days...

2. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 19:32 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:13:
So, I played this this past weekend and what a piece of shit game this is. Its fricking WOW in space for kiddies.

In its defense, I think it's supposed to be WoW in space...that appeals to some people.

News Comments > Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations
20. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 12:31 NewMaxx

LurkerLito wrote on May 5, 2014, 11:34:
So long as they can claim IP, even if very difficult to prove by ZeniMax, they can hold the product hostage long enough to make it hurt. So the easiest way to get out is to settle, that is why ZeniMax is doing it. They can tie them up for years in court and in all that time, they can stop Oculus from selling any final products and making money.

This is a common misconception. Actually, in contract law, there's an assumption of good faith. If Zenimax knows they have no claim and continue to pursue it for personal gain, they can and will be countersued. "But you have to prove it" - no, actually, the burden of proof is on Zenimax as they are the originally claimants.

News Comments > Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations
19. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 12:28 NewMaxx

So let me get this straight...they refused to give Zenimax a stake, then turned around and sold out to Facebook and took John Carmack with them to help lead its development.

No, I can't see any reason Zenimax would be pissed off. I understand that a lot of people live in la-la land where "what's right is right," but civilization is built on laws and lawyers because people are backstabbing assholes. Not that Carmack is a backstabbing asshole or that Zenimax has a legitimate claim, but to pretend that Oculus is completely innocent is just naive.

507 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo