Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2015, 19:09 NewMaxx

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 16:23:
See this everyday. I have zero tolerance for it.

/drops mic, walks off of soapbox.....

One of the paradoxes prevalent in contemporary society is that while people feel compelled to be more and more individual - have their own Facebook littered with selfies, have their own opinions, act like they are a special snowflake, etc. - they are also strangely compelled to take less responsibility for their actions, blaming other people, the government, the police, whatever. It's paradoxical because the entire concept of freedom, to be an individual, hinges on having personal responsibility, so this combination of behaviors creates another generation - the kids of these people - that simply does not operate in normal society.

I know because I'm getting to the age...my brother, my friends...where people start having kids and I watch my nephews, my cousins, my friend's kids, and you can see it in action. They raise their kids to be gluten free special snowflakes who have their ass hand-wiped by their parents and then they get into school and simply malfunction, and then these parents find something to blame...it was the vaccines, is was the teachers, etc., taking no responsibility for their own parenting, which then just passes down to the new generation. It's an epidemic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
39. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 14:37 NewMaxx

harlock wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 14:20:
yeh, and then a game called "Gas the Jews" where you play a nazi soldier and you try to fit as many jews as you can into the concentration camp and then you get to kill and torture them one by one

I think you just gave them the idea for Holocaust Tycoon.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Gender Assumptions Dec 29, 2014, 23:54 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 22:10:
It's a fair assumption because most of them are. Just like most chefs are men.

Relevant graph

The gender disparity for professors (subject instructors) is actually almost nil. Cooks are 59% male, though.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
10. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 27, 2014, 20:22 NewMaxx

Warskull wrote on Dec 27, 2014, 19:36:
DDOS attacks don't really reveal any vulnerabilities.

Completely untrue...I guess you're not in the IT business. You're right that these guys might not have any real hacking ability and that many high-profile DDOS attacks are about pure target humiliation, but DDOS can most certainly reveal vulnerabilities. It's a requirement for any penetration testing and has found (metasploit with the ISAPI module for Apache, for example) how DDOS can be used for arbitrary code execution. There are entire services built around acting as a proxy for this reason; see CloudFlare.

News Comments > Pardo: Olympics Should Include Esports [Updated]
43. Re: Blizzard: Olympics Should Include Esports Dec 25, 2014, 06:10 NewMaxx

The way I see it, the Olympics (whether original in Ancient Greece or the modern revival) were intended to regularly bring distinct peoples together in the interest of camaraderie and competition. I don't think the physicality of the sport really is that important, and you could certainly argue that the top players do exhibit incredible agility and hand-to-eye coordination anyway. The real problem is that the Olympics divided people along city-state and then national lines.

While gamers individually still identify with a singular nationality and while many of the best teams are from the same country (e.g., South Korea), the reality is that globalization and especially technology has blurred these once distinct lines. Obviously this effects more than just e-sports but then you get to the issue of funding. World-class athletes are expensive and often valuable. A cyber-athlete might one day be internationally funded by Bitcoins while representing a cause rather than a nation; a team of cyber-athletes might be ethnically diverse with support all over. The real issue with e-sports in the Olympics is that it reflects the changing nature of the world and calls into question the original founding reasons for the Olympics.

Employees of Blizzard and other gaming companies understand this as they are already diverse. Their employees are diverse, their audiences are diverse. They are directly involved in the e-sports (e.g., Star Craft) scene. They deal with virtual downloads and always-on servers. They understand how technology changes the game. To wave the original statement off as being a joke is to miss the evidence. Always amazes me how quickly people are to dismiss new ideas.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 23, 2014, 18:22 NewMaxx

verybad1 wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 15:44:
Yeah, I know people are different, and that's a good thing, diversity and all that. I'm not even saying there's something wrong with people that do like Pee Wee Herman.

I just simply can't imagine doing so.

It's generation theory. The 50s were a lot like the 80s are a lot like the 10s. That is to say, a lot of the stuff originating in the 80s like Pee-wee Herman was a modernization of 50s ideas and now in the 10s we are having a similar resurgence of the 80s. Pretty common thread throughout popular history. His original appeal therefore was a bit like Gangnam Style nowadays...if you know South Korean culture you know they are kind of stuck on 80s-90s US and bam, there's the overlap in the 10s all over again. People like to think they're original or hip but what is hip changes with every generation (~30 years in the modern age) so you get curious idols like Pee-wee Herman, Psy, etc.

News Comments > ROTT TTURNS TTWENTTY
13. Re: ROTT TTURNS TTWENTTY Dec 22, 2014, 20:59 NewMaxx

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtGBwnn1paA

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
9. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Dec 22, 2014, 05:47 NewMaxx

InBlack wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 02:42:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 17:02:
Sony hack was 'cyber vandalism,' not act of war, says Obama.

Other than the fact he is a decent speaker, he says about as asinine things as Bush did, but it sounds like sugar when he says it.....

From the context of your post Im guessing that you dont agree with him and that an unknown person or persons hacking a private corporation is an act of war.

I think he takes contention with the use of the term "cyber vandalism." Is it cyber vandalism if there is a specific sovereign state (North Korea) as the culprit against a international company (Sony)? Corporations are more and more like sovereign states in this globalist age, while nations are becoming regional and global, so the distinction is important. Vandalism is defined as the willful or malicious destruction of property, but that isn't sufficient here as there was also willful extortion (with very real results). Is it an act of war in the traditional sense? No. It's certainly headed in that direction, though, on two significant points that have nothing to do with "vandalism." It would certainly qualify as a casus belli between states in the old days.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2014, 05:52.

News Comments > Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam
34. Re: Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam Dec 20, 2014, 14:32 NewMaxx

Sepharo wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 22:35:
Should've skipped the publisher, gone free to play with a market around items and events, and continually released new content both minor and major.

You're not at all wrong, but sadly game development has entered the "movie prestige" phase in so many ways. Movies are risky and financially expensive but ultimately people want to be tied to these massive ideas, and triple-A games are no different. To give something like that away for free is...well, the anti-thesis of what it stands for, considering that the PC market for it is extremely small anyway. I'm not saying it's right, I just know the realities of the industry and suggesting something sane like you just did would get laughed out of the room by Moneybags McGee.

News Comments > Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series Announced
12. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series Announced Dec 18, 2014, 22:40 NewMaxx

Tales from the Borderlands was actually pretty good, and Wolf Among Us was awesome...and Walking Dead was good, both seasons...so yeah finding it hard to complain.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 18, 2014, 03:22 NewMaxx

InBlack wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 02:25:
Kim Jong Un - 1:0 - Hollywood

Seriously, this has got to be the biggest win N. Korea has had in the last 50 years or so.

If by N. Korea you mean their Chinese backers, then yeah. Personally I love that Hollywood is getting owned on a regular basis. About time.

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
21. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 12:21 NewMaxx

Wildone wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 11:00:
I remember when there was a new windows ever 3-5 years..now its every 6 months?!? Who the fuck updates so frequently. Im on 7 and quite happy

Quick updates are a side effect of the mobile revolution. Just look at Firefox. It's not so much for people updating as it is for new devices. People talk about how you buy a desktop and it lasts for years, right? That doesn't apply to tablets and phones. Devices are getting blurred and, actually, people like the feeling of updates. You know how anti-virus programs are so annoying asking you for updates constantly? They do that to keep people subscribing and aware of the program. It's all psychology. Again, the best example is Firefox when it switched to its current rapid deployment. It's annoying as hell for developers and hardcore users but it's a boon for everybody else, we talk about "consolization" but it happens for everything in life. People are dumbasses with short attention spans.

People ignored Windows 2000, but loved XP. People hated Vista but loved 7. The differences between those two sets of OS at release was virtually nothing. The latter OS in each set came relatively shortly after the first. So it's not only a matter of "new" from a psychology perspective but also the ability to quickly adapt the OS to get people on board with it. Just look at how people treat 8.1 vs 8 to see what I mean. How much time was it between those two? About a year, but it was closer to eight months from release to the next's beta.

News Comments > CitesXXL Announced
5. Re: CitesXXL Announced Dec 12, 2014, 01:34 NewMaxx

Cities XL began its life as an MMO. I know because I helped test it. It was quite ambitious but it always had issues. These issues were not completely resolved even after many revisions and the dropping of the online part. It's something we want to see happen when done right - a good city simulation game - but this won't be it most likely.

Something I want to state, however, is that Focus Home Interactive has actually done pretty well recently. They've published more winners than losers since the beginning of 2012. Even if the game is only a step better than the last one, it's a step in the right direction...I guess that is a mild form of optimism.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2014, 23:21 NewMaxx

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 17:45:
I'm more worried about the people who are both aware & perfectly ok with it.

This is more or less what I once told a friend of mine when he showed disgust at people voting a certain way during an election because of their beliefs. I told him that those people aren't the problem, rather the biggest danger is people who really believe they are doing the right thing and that they are smarter than (and thus more capable of representing) other people. I'd rather risk a righteous person than a righteous person with hubris. What I was politely saying is that he was acting like one of those latter people, but it went over his head.

I consider myself an amateur historian these days and trying to explain even basic concepts to the average person is difficult. Trying to explain it to someone intelligent who also thinks they know better or, worse, someone who doesn't care, is significantly more troublesome.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2014, 23:26.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder)
18. Re: Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder) Dec 10, 2014, 11:55 NewMaxx

Timmeh wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 11:24:
Today the world is dominated by carebears who only imagine they are real gamers.

The original quoted post stated that "a 'difficulty' level isnt (sic) going to fix design faults." Don't confuse difficulty with design. You may be the kind of person who thinks Dark Souls is the best game ever made who also instantly uninstalled Dear Esther. A "real gamer" would be someone who could appreciate both.

I got into this argument all the time with my friends, who loved FPS and racing games but couldn't stand strategy and RPG titles. I'm the kind of guy that can enjoy Call of Duty for what it is but also love the Total War games and don't mind the difficulty of rogue-likes when I'm in the mood. A "real gamer" isn't exclusive.

Moreover, getting back to the design point, this is a game made for Alien fans and those who might want to explore the world of the movie. That's impossible at high or even moderate difficulty. If someone wants to beat the game at high difficulty and later replay to explore (as the briefing even says) then I fail to see how that makes them not a "real gamer."

I haven't played the game (yet) so I won't comment on its potential "design faults" but the point is inherently correct; if the game consistently funnels you towards specific points, it loses the open and varied game-play elements. Old school games never really attempted or claimed that so it's not really a fair comparison. Again, this game is meant for the Alien fan to explore, an impact that is diminished if it is an illusion.

News Comments > Borderlands Online Announced for China
5. Re: Borderlands Online Announced for China Dec 8, 2014, 12:50 NewMaxx

Online gaming in China and Russia is effectively a reflection of their governments, that is an hierarchical form of an oligarchy. You have the vast majority of people being F2P players while the top dogs spend lavishly on cool armor and the best weapons that the rest envy. It is therefore an extension of government, especially in China, as directly or indirectly the government is the largest provider of jobs and those who make enough to spend lavishly on games are those generally with more political clout.

Therefore, those who succeed in these games without that "reality" payday have a form of expression that isn't allowed politically. It's like a rich CEO in the US playing WoW being out-PVP'd by a 13 year old in free gear, but with even further ramifications. Someone can actually earn respect in their society from besting the richer players at their own game. This is something Western players cannot generally fathom. I have a lot of gamer friends in those two countries so I have a better (if still imperfect) understanding of it.

There's a reason F2P works so well over there and not so well over here. A large part is, again, the fact that the average person in the West has more disposable income and is used to spending a few hours' wages on some entertainment. It's a lot more costly over there to do that for the average person, but additionally they have far less political freedom, equality, and social mobility, and therefore a F2P game is a way for them to express themselves and gain respect. We tend to take these things for granted.

News Comments > Dying Light Steep Specs Revealed
15. Re: Dying Light Steep Specs Revealed Dec 4, 2014, 21:00 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 20:45:
My guess is there will be next to no fps difference between 12 and 16 gigs.

I have 2x2, 2x4, and 2x8GB available for my main system. It's been fun testing some of these recent claims from game requirements. Not only do I think you're right, I have doubts that more than 8GB will do anything, in fact 6GB has been enough for most everything in my testing. Now if I have Chrome and Firefox and Photoshop open in the background with my typical 120+ process load, different story, but if I'm on my gaming PC...there's just no way.

News Comments > Deus Ex "Dawn" Engine Revealed; DX Universe Clarified
24. Re: Deus Ex Dec 4, 2014, 20:35 NewMaxx

Translation: Assassin's Creed-like release strategy  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
17. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 4, 2014, 03:23 NewMaxx

InBlack wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 02:28:
Who gives a shit what she's dressed like??

Who gives a shit what Matt Taylor is dressed like?

News Comments > Black Friday Interviews
14. Re: Black Friday Interviews Nov 28, 2014, 19:02 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 14:10:
Or more likely, he'd be locked up in an insane asylum. 'So your dad is an invisible sky wizard and you have superpowers do you? Yeah, ok....let's start him on a Thorazine drip and some shock tratment."

One of the greatest idols of our time (for many if not most people) is Steve Jobs. Steve. Jobs. An egomaniac control freak who died because he believed in psuedo-science. If you're suggesting mankind has progressed towards calling ridiculous people insane, I'd argue it's gone the opposite direction if anything. Now they're YouTube stars, head of Tesla motors, Vice President of the United States, head of an anti-virus security firm, entertainment moguls, famous actors, etc. If anything I'd say Jesus would be ignored as downright common today...which, honestly, is not much different than he was handled even in his own time, as cults were numbered in the dozens if not the hundreds back then. He was the first hippie, almost two thousand years before "our" hippies, but nowadays being "progressive" is trendy to a fault.

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo