Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 417 (Amateur)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Deus Ex: The Fall Next Month
19. Re: PC Deus Ex: The Fall Next Month Feb 25, 2014, 13:54 NewMaxx

Breadman86 wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 09:13:
Yes, it's certainly more limited in the mobile form that it was designed for, but I was shocked by the quality of the experience.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. I couldn't believe how well it looked and ran on my first gen Nexus 7. I've been looking into mobile game design over the last year so I pay attention to something like that when I see it. For the record, it utilizes the Unity engine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video
31. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 19:44 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 17:46:
As you mention EQN is something to point to simply because it has read the market and notices things need to change. They looked at the indy build market and should have said, man if one man with limited $$$ could do what he did, what does that say for the 100's of us with bank that can't? A right decision is to look at the scene and really do something about it.

You do mention mmo's are social games, how they messed up grouping/questing/phasing in ESO really is a low point and right now a breaking one for me to consider. Is there any word that is being looked at? It's a big gaf imo.

Yeah, I'm surprisingly impressed with what SOE has been doing. I'm hopeful that the parent company's financial woes won't impact anything. I've been pretty involved with their communities and I like what I see, it's a step in the right direction. I'm really hoping ESO takes a page from that book before it's too late.

I also agree that the phasing issue in ESO is deplorable. I expect it's something that will be fixed completely and quickly. Unfortunately, most people don't realize that the developers are running multiple parallel builds (which means they leave a lot of features incomplete/broken even if they've been earmarked or even fixed) and also delayed builds (what you see in beta is already outdated). That's one of the reasons they delayed the NDAs so long (actually, there is still an NDA for the full beta), but people not in the know tend to overlook that.

(I won't get into the specifics but if you're curious as to why they develop this way, it is so multiple teams can work on multiple issues simultaneously without risking overlap. That's why earmarked/obvious bugs are ignored because they are fixed in the main merged build that always comes later in the betas because it needs internal testing first.)

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2014, 19:53.

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 17:21 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 16:20:
The story of so many mmo's. IMO it has no potential because it tries nothing new. There are some decent things, but they're close enough to the same decent things I've played, still own and can do again for free and still don't. But if one is jonesing for another mmo... There are easier one's on your wallet.

That's cool. I play every MMO under the sun and I am a regular alpha/beta tester. I stand by my analysis. I've seen the gorilla in the room two months before its release and its collision mechanics were downright broken. I do agree with your sentiment that the chances of success are low, but if I just throw in the towel and not at least try to give feedback I'm liable to blame myself to some extent. More on that below...

I disagree about the "trying nothing new" part, not because it does try new things (it does to some extent) but because that's not what people want. If a game is to succeed is must cater to the crowd I'm afraid. My impressions of Everquest Landmark and Next suggest that it is trying something new (for a MMO, anyway) and I dig that, too. I feel I have room for both of them in my life, albeit for different reasons.

The big thing to take away is that MMOs are social organisms and the community needs to be involved in a constructive way. I've had the opportunity to see this flourish in some games lately and it is especially true of games that allow direct player influence - player-made items, and yes that includes EQ LM/N. TESO has an excellent opening for this but they have to take advantage of it, and fast. It would be "something new" while catering to the crowd...but right now I can't tell which way it'll go. Community feedback is a huge part of that...and if you want to know why SWTOR failed, just check Bioware's response to ME3 ending complaints.

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 15:01 NewMaxx

Scottyl42 wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 10:47:
I played the beta. It just felt like rift,warhammer,aion...nothing new.. its gonna bomb. sadly.

You know, I was pretty disappointed after my first beta. I still pre-ordered it (didn't have much else going on at the time) and have since enjoyed it more after every subsequent beta. Keep in mind this is from a guy who paid for six months of LOTRO (after it became F2P), played SWTOR for a few months after launch, played GW2 for a few months after launch, and now has a sub to Planetside 2 (a F2P game). In every one of those cases I felt more than satisfied. I don't buy MMOs to live in them long-term anymore, not since WoW, which is ironic since that's kind of what "theme park" should mean.

In my opinion, this game has a lot of potential and the right level of passion to make it happen. I've seen the team put together some great ideas across the betas. It's just not there yet, though. If you check my Blues history you will see a post a while back where I said it'll need a year after launch...well, my estimate is now six months. I believe if they can hold on until the holidays, this game might work out and some of the "it's gonna tank" guys might finally come around. If they drop the ball on that chance, though, I'll likely be gone by that time, but I will probably still feel like I got my money's worth.

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 14:57 NewMaxx

descender wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:29:
Anyone who pumps out $75 for the first month of play is going to be sorely disappointed.

The first month is included in the price. I was able to get the digital CE for $60.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2014, 17:01 NewMaxx

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 13:28:
The real issue is that the current infrastructure prevents competitors from entering a lot of markets. The big companies already own all the wires and getting them to let you use them is costly. Stringing your own copper or fiber is ludicrously expensive, and getting the states/counties/towns/cities to let you do it...

Part of it is "last mile" syndrome, but it's actually very similar to the monopolies a lot of power companies had in some states. I know this because my father was a top executive in one that was effectively a monopoly in that state. Things finally did get de-regulated and it allowed a ton of smaller companies to prevail, but guess what happened? First, prices went up 50% across-the-board. It took years before the competition made a dent in that. Second, it didn't actually change anything because that big company still handled all the lines...the other ones paid for the rights of access, as you suggest here. Lastly, as I began my comment, the biggest cost to them was the last mile, because it's the most expensive to put into place (laying out a hub is one thing, hooking up tons of rural houses is another). People love to blame these big, bad companies but they don't realize that the only other option is that government-regulated monopoly. Yes, it was cheaper, but it held back innovation for decades...but people pay with their wallets before their brains.

News Comments > EA: Battlefield 4 "Exceedingly Successful;" Complaints Are "Noise"
18. Re: EA: Battlefield 4 Feb 12, 2014, 11:12 NewMaxx

"I'm not sure I accept your premise."

LOL. So basically, "I reject your reality...and that of a majority of our customers...and substitute my own."

"From a sales perspective"

That's like saying the top players in a pyramid scheme feel things worked out from a "sales perspective."

"We did things wrong. We know that."

I'm not sure you do, Hilleman. You're sounding a lot like a politician. Or Bioware PR after ME3's release. Or really anyone in arrogant denial...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
21. Re: obvious Feb 10, 2014, 12:48 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:04:
Right, because no one ever engages in drama for marketing purposes.

So cynical. On the other hand if there's one thing that reigns king within all living things, it's self-interest.

29. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2014, 12:43 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:32:
Hey if you are going to say it like that then I have to put in the other part of the equation... compassion. That plays the biggest role. It's not if the baby is going to make the million back, it's the human race being better than that more than anything else.

Which is what I meant when I said, the value of living in a society that respects life is difficult to quantify. Trying to put an "ROI" on something like that is not only difficult but impossible. You can't know what any one person will accomplish or how much more they can accomplish with the appropriate freedoms. Of course, part of those "freedoms" means being able to live healthfully and normally. So it often comes back to a cost...it's by no means a simple problem.

I will say that a free society is more productive, more evolutionarily-sound in its ability to adapt, than a closed one. Privacy is the cornerstone of such a society. I recognize the fact that within the information age, data is becoming more important for efficiency. I understand also that people tend not to be capable of informing themselves enough to be protected. All of that is an ongoing issue...but I think it really comes down to natural human rights versus this technological edge we ride (and which is, as some mentioned, sociopathic).

27. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2014, 12:36 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:30:
a % will have that problem but it is planned out as such. Doesn't matter who because for our lack of better understanding it is random as can be.

Right, which the insurance companies actually do calculate. Statistics are surprisingly accurate and can be calculated from a very small sample. Most people I see comment on things like this approach it in a "common sense" stance when the reality is you can do a trial with a 1000-member slice across the US and get within +/-3% error using known mathematics. The companies know how many people will be effected, just not which ones specifically. What they really want is the ability to calculate that even more directly and apply fees accordingly; essentially, they want access to your DNA. To suggest that the government has no interest in this is as well is just naive.

24. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2014, 12:28 NewMaxx

It's privacy versus linear logic.

Is a baby worth a million dollars? In raw terms, no. What it if were Einstein? Maybe so. How can we know? How can we avoid the problems? Maybe genetic testing and engineering. Certainly seems more efficient to use the data available rather than lose it to privacy. On the other hand, the value of living in a society that allows privacy is difficult to quantify.

It often comes down to conservative forces to argue morals for these things in an often illogical way, even if that actually produces a more a better outcome. Morally, privacy remains intact and yet the child lives. Logically, business dictates analysis on all data without privacy. These are opposing forces that many people often equate as the same source, but are not. However it's pretty clear to everybody that this guy is a douche.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2014, 12:19 NewMaxx

nin wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:13:
edit: Just to be clear, are they also lizards?

I would ask you to cease and desist your hate-mongering of the lizardfolk!

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2014, 12:18 NewMaxx

nin wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:13:
Wow.

I didn't mean it in a shocking way. I meant it as a statement of fact in a semi-sarcastic tone. Just read the article and you'll see what a major fiscal force thinks about paying for a million dollar baby...it's relevant.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2014, 12:11 NewMaxx

Thanks, Obama!

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2014, 12:21.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
13. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 11:26 NewMaxx

I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, it's greater than the sum of its parts. I can totally see why a lot of people dislike it, though. I also enjoyed LOTRO, SWTOR, and GW2; I don't feel like I have to justify myself on any of those. If one comes in expecting a revolution, you will be disappointed on a regular basis with pretty much any MMO.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 10, 2014, 11:19 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 10:39:
Or something devs should really be studying?

It's definitely something people are studying. One could be cynical and say, where's there's money to be made, there's interest. On the other hand, though, there's genuine social forces at work here. Obviously the whole "threshold" concept is well known but yet people keep trying to jump over that fence.

It reminds me of exactly that, actually: jumping over something in a multiplayer game. Everybody tries it, fails, until one guy finds just the right way to do it, then one by one other people do it. It's been observed in populations of chimps, actually. We learn by watching and we mimic. Then it becomes commonplace until the next fence. Quite honestly I see the entire Enlightenment that way (the average person today is just finally learning to "jump" that "fence" and it's half the cause of our political issues) but I digress...

Something this simple not only making money but making this many waves? Not surprising and yet here we go again with the drama.

News Comments > Bridge It (plus) Demo
5. Re: Bridge It (plus) Demo Feb 10, 2014, 11:12 NewMaxx

Dagnamit wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 09:13:
These are the same guys that made the fun bridge builders, Pontifex 1 and 2, way back in the day.

Great games. Back in the day as engineering students in college, my friends and I would regularly set up the bridge simulation programs in a game-like fashion. I was always like...why didn't anybody ever make a game out of this? Soon after, they did. (and now I feel old)

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
2. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 09:51 NewMaxx

I think he (Angry Joe) says that it "comes down to the PVP," actually. From what I understand it's done by the DAoC team which did have some excellent and innovative PVP.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
32. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 21:45 NewMaxx

Alamar wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 21:10:
In essence, they 'Blizzard'd' the game type...

As for Flapppy copying 'Helicopter'... I hope he's not claiming it ripped off a mobile game, because I played that genre about 14 years ago.

Yes, they did.

...and, please. You're challenging the cred of a Moon Patrol man, here. I was simplifying.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
29. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 20:15 NewMaxx

Orogogus wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 13:35:
I don't know about dollar success, but I think Angry Birds is more analogous ... But Angry Birds and Flappy Bird are two games I wouldn't have guessed would almost immediately rake in more money than I'll ever see in my life. Are there a ton of people with a gene that makes bird games irresistible

Except for the fact that Angry Birds is a well-designed game. It has pleasing graphics, decent performance, great audio, a fantastic difficulty curve, and in general fits the mold of what a mobile game should be. Flappy Bird rips off not only an entire game concept from Helicopter but also rips off artwork from Super Mario Bros. There's no comparison. One is a new idea done well, another is an old idea that only got popular because people are ADHD-riddled and generally incapable of gauging their self-value outside of a repetitively pointless activity.

417 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo