Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 557 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2014, 14:09 NewMaxx

The most exciting thing about VR is the fact that it offers the opportunity to really unleash some new levels of AI, finally taking that revolutionary step we need to get passed the vanilla AI we've had for decades. Part of what he's denouncing is actually derived from that - the tracking, the maximizing of engagement, or whatever he's talking about will be driven by an increasingly aware AI. That's not what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about what is known as intelligent virtual environments, among other things, like AI agents. There's a direct link between AI and virtual reality that most people and in fact most developers are not aware of, but those who have kept clamoring for better AI should be aware that the problem is one of revolution rather than evolution (and thus needs new technologies entirely to really improve).

Of course, this is only tangentially related to gaming, and one would expect research to come separately and before it is mainstream in VR games. Nevertheless I feel it's worth mentioning the potential that exists there. The two links provided will offer some edification for those interested in the subject and how it may be utilized in the future (still many years away).

P.S. I went to school for computer engineering but with a focus on AI; co-founded the modern robotics program at my college, which involves VR in the sense that robotic navigation is actually very similar in concept

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns?
20. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 21:04 NewMaxx

I said it here (post #3) and I said it in the last Crytek rumor thread: this is Crytek U.K. only. The only game they've worked on solely or primarily is the upcoming Homefront title. That's it. It's just one subsidiary. Seems people just like to react to things without reading...  

News Comments > New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns?
3. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 13:17 NewMaxx

Crytek U.K. has been the subsidiary in the news, first with rumors about employees walking out due to no salaries and now this. The only game the U.K. branch has worked on entirely by itself is the new Homefront. U.K. also did work for Crysis 2 and 3 but the majority was done by Crytek Frankfurt, which also did Ryse. Warface is the only game done at the Kiev branch.

Chances are it'll be folded but the game probably will see the light of day.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Video Interview
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Video Interview Jul 12, 2014, 18:17 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 16:57:
'You can go seamlessly in and out of buildings."

Reminds me of the original Far Cry. I used to tell people about HDR and try to explain it, then just show them that game. At the time it was really amazing. What's interesting about it in performance terms is that when it is costly, developers only use it where it is warranted and necessary...and where it holds dramatic effect. Nowadays we get bloom and HDR on f'n everything and it makes the whole exercise pointless.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 17:49 NewMaxx

BobBob wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 16:53:
You are applying standards and expectations upon what is normally (though artificially) created by humans.

See:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleology

King Solomon's Ring

If you haven't read it, nothing you say about animals holds any meaning.

News Comments > ArcheAge Closed Beta Next Week
7. Re: ArcheAge Closed Beta Next Week Jul 11, 2014, 13:42 NewMaxx

Jivaro wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 10:19:
I don't know anyone who has been either following this or in the alpha. Anybody here actually have hands-on experience with the game?

It's been possible to get into the Russian open beta since February. Not that I'm suggesting anything.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Phantoms Changes, Giveaways
4. Re: Ghost Recon Phantoms Changes, Giveaways Jul 11, 2014, 02:28 NewMaxx

I agree, matchmaking is a huge problem. Honestly it just felt like there weren't enough players to make for quick and even matches.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Phantoms Changes, Giveaways
2. Re: Ghost Recon Phantoms Changes, Giveaways Jul 10, 2014, 23:23 NewMaxx

The problem I had with this game (or at least in the past, it may have changed but I doubt it) was that you really had to pay...and pay a lot...to be competitive long-term. Grinding it for free or even on the cheap just didn't seem at all viable. Now, I have 500+ hours in Planetside 2 and 1000+ battles in World of Tanks and while I put some money towards both, I never felt massively pressured to do so to compete and have fun. It was just nice to have perks. Ghost Recon Online ("Phantoms") just felt like money was a requirement after you get out of newbville...

(MWO unfortunately feels the same, but at least it services the diehard fans)

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2014, 23:29.

News Comments > Ubisoft's Sales Growth
5. Re: Ubisoft's Sales Growth Jul 10, 2014, 18:49 NewMaxx

Wildone wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 13:51:
Must be the fucking pirates on PC!

I realize you're being sarcastic, but anyway...

Game Revenue

(which supports posts I've made in the past about the direction of things like Microsoft's XBox divsion, but I digress)

News Comments > The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 Next Week
3. Re: The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 Next Week Jul 3, 2014, 14:14 NewMaxx

Quboid wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 13:54:
Episodic content doesn't work when the gaps are so long that people forget half the plot, their decisions and their relationships with the other characters. I don't even remember how many episodes I'd played. They're not sequels, it's the same story continuing seconds after the previous episode's ending - yet for us it's months later.

It's not atypical of episodic content. Kentucky Route Zero is similar, and yet I bought into that. Then again...my desire to play KRZ Act III is pretty much nil since I don't remember what's going on...

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2014, 14:21.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 30, 2014, 09:46 NewMaxx

I have to admit, I do play games when I exercise indoors sometimes. On my old exercise bike I rigged up a cooling pad so I could get my netbook mounted onto it. I now use that machine as a server (those old Atoms are still pretty good for that). On my newer bike I have placed velcro and mounting hooks to hold my hybrid tablet in either mode (with or without the keyboard dock). I've even rigged spots for a speaker and USB hub and use a small end table for the mousepad (wireless mouse, of course). Sometimes I outright use a smaller tablet (Nexus 7) in my hands. So, it's not the most ridiculous idea in the world.  

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
55. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 22:35 NewMaxx

harlock wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 20:19:
NewMaxx wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 19:55:
I certainly didn't enjoy Minecraft since it was popular; if anything, I stopped playing when it did become popular.

yeh i played minecraft before it was cool Beatnik

To be honest I played it after it was "before it was cool" but before it "was cool." I had heard of it but didn't buy it at the time, but even when I did it wasn't huge yet, so I can't claim the fame of having been on the ground floor with that one. Basically I didn't want to be one of those people who latches onto something new that MIGHT become poserish but neither did I want to latch onto it after it was CERTAINLY poserish...I was in-between. If that makes sense.

(Star Citizen would be a more current example...I've been following it so long I have a "Golden Ticket" or whatever the hell but now I feel it's gone too far for me to invest in it)

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
51. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 19:55 NewMaxx

I played a bit of Minecraft simply because I like using my imagination a little bit. I got it relatively early in its development and had a lot of fun just making my own adventures. Eventually it did get huge and I even played on a large server or two, but I never really got too serious with it. I had one world I built with my cousin over a week or two when we just got drunk when he got laid off and just made an awesome world together...he's someone who lives distant and it was nice to reconnect again.

I haven't played in a while, but my ex-girlfriend (well, she's more of a sister, we remain friends) and her daughter run their own server and it's really been good for her. I don't want to get into her particular situation but she had a lot of bad things in her life and was often really lonely, but she is amazingly creative and crafty and loves video games. So getting her into that, seeing how running her own server helped her cope and get back on her feet and back into college, seeing that it was good for her relationship with her daughter, I find it pretty insulting that someone would say that Minecraft is a waste of time or only for "bandwagon" people.

Then again, as a kid I spent more time imagining things and building weird stuff with blocks and LEGOs and everything else, so maybe my viewpoint is different. I certainly didn't enjoy Minecraft since it was popular; if anything, I stopped playing when it did become popular. It was just nice to not have to login to a game that was 5 minutes of killing people over and over again on the same half dozen maps for virtual points that will be reset in a year. If you can't see the appeal in Minecraft then quite honestly I don't consider you a gamer at heart...maybe you're a narcissist, an opinionated loudmouth, or something else drives your motivation, but it's certainly not a love of gaming.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 26, 2014, 14:07 NewMaxx

Simon Says wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:15:
Desktop parts are already in the process of plateau'ing and the mobile parts will follow. Only revolutionary architectural changes and revolutionary manufacturing changes are gonna remedy this. The shrinkage evolution is hitting its wall.

You're more informed than most, and you're right, although it's important to keep in mind that competition (or lack thereof) is a significant factor for both desktop and mobile chips. Also, embedded chips have long been closer to microcontrollers than microprocessors, but this has changed with the advent of the smartphone. The massive amount of media operations means that extended instruction sets (including the coming of 64-bit chips in the mobile space) really allow for greater efficiency. The quad-core, 2.2 GHz processor in my G2 is no match for my 2500K, but I think most people would agree that a 2500K is overkill.

Now when we talk about GPUs - which the article is really focusing on, since that's the non-ARM part of the Tegra - we have to remember what the console vs. PC market was like in the past. The original XBox put out amazing graphics for its raw hardware in comparison to a PC with the same specs. New graphics engines will be made to leverage mobile chips to a great extent in a similar manner, even as consoles begin to converge with desktops. Power and cooling will always be issues in the mobile space but the fact I can play Broken Sword 5 at a decent frame-rate on my $299 Windows tablet for hours at a time...does mean things are changing.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies Jun 23, 2014, 22:58 NewMaxx

They kind of dropped the ball on this game...I was super disappointed at the lack of SLI support (and the seeming impossibility of it ever being implemented). It's by no means a bad game, though. A lot of Russian players took offense at its portrayal of Russia in the game...since they are indoctrinated to believe their national epic, even though Stalin killed more of his own people before WW2 (26 million during his reign of terror prior to 1941) than died in the war (20 million more, 2/3 of which were civilians).

Anyway, those two issues - performance and the Russian stigma - seemed to have afflicted this game with more trouble than the first, despite the fact it is a solid game.

News Comments > Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor
12. Re: Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor Jun 23, 2014, 22:42 NewMaxx

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 20:55:
I think the big difference is that, for the most part, those regional subsidiaries were less studios and more regionalization and support.

Localization, yes.

Crytek has several development branches: Frankfurt (original), Budapest, Kiev, Black Sea, UK, and USA. These branches are geographically chosen to be the most useful in anticipation of cooperation - while Germany is their place of origin, they are pushing into Eastern Europe (where F2P is king and there are many cheap hiring opportunities) and also into the UK and USA (where PC sales are otherwise largest). They would have stiff competition in the Western European (France et al.) and Canadian locations, where, for ex., Ubisoft is king; noting that they sold the Far Cry IP to Ubisoft. This is a company trying to build bridges and be elite within their respective markets.

News Comments > Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor
6. Re: Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor Jun 23, 2014, 19:22 NewMaxx

I played Warface recently and thoroughly and while it's a fine game, getting on par with Ghosts Online, the general feeling is a small community and the need of way, way too much money to get anywhere substantial as a player (GRO, or now Phantoms I guess, has the same issue). This creates a system where those who invest money to get there are so far and above new players that it's just ridiculous, since the playerbase is so small you end up playing against far superior players much of the time. Of course, at least Warface has acceptable co-op.

Honestly I was most impressed with their Gface system that ran in a browser, very nice technology and very socially oriented. This ties in to what I posted on the most recent Crytek thread about the direction they are headed (which is a good thing). Yeah, it can be a bit obtuse when you work with it, but it shows they are willing to adapt to the marketplace.

News Comments > Ubisoft "Confident" in Unified Assassin's Creed Unity Launch
21. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 19:08 NewMaxx

They DO try to release them simultaneously because the grand amount of complaints over games come right after the launch, and they would rather get that out of the way so they can hit a "steady state" of resource deployment towards support. The ironic part is a lot of the time they release the PC version late specifically to make sure there are fewer support calls, so it's really a balancing act for them. It's a bit of a safety net, though, in that if they miss the deadline for PC it's not a huge deal for their bottom line, hence people tend to see these comments as disingenuous.  

News Comments > Ubisoft "Confident" in Unified Assassin's Creed Unity Launch
15. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 14:32 NewMaxx

KS wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 13:09:
> Lesley Phord-Toy

What an awesome name.

Phord-Toy is a Canadian surname, perhaps made up of two distinct surnames (Phord and Toy). Like most surnames they have occupational and geographical origins. 'Toy' came from the French for sheath-maker, while 'Phord' probably means the family originally lived near a ford (shallow water crossing). Since these names were combined the families probably lived nearby originally...becoming a family of sheath-makers near a forded river.

557 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo