Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 859 (Graduate)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > YAGER's Dead Island 2 Statement
5. Re: YAGER's Dead Island 2 Statement Jul 15, 2015, 20:46 NewMaxx

siapnar wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 14:25:
Yager are too talented a dev to settle for the game that Deep Silver wanted to push out. That's how I read this

Pretty close, yeah. Deep Silver has long since moved into "publisher mode" and their constraints are a bit like Cuddy supervising House.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped
17. Re: Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped Jul 15, 2015, 20:43 NewMaxx

Kajetan wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 05:02:
According to my information the blame for the X-Rebirth debacle was more with Deep Silver than Egosoft. 80/20, if you want to quantify it. Stupid, utter stupid product management from Deep Silver and a dev, who was forced to finish a broken, misguided attempt to make a X console game with the little resources he had.

There are some people at Deep Silver, who are just toxic. Not particular stupid, because they manage to survive all internal power struggle and still are on top, just toxic for everyone involved.

Your information is pretty good.

8. Re: Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped Jul 14, 2015, 22:19 NewMaxx

NotOneOfUs wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 21:57:
Just odd there were no rumblings before this.

There actually were some rumblings (I'm an industry insider! No, there actually were some public ones, too) but the sudden drop is a bit of a surprise. It has more to do with politics than the game which is why they are continuing it. I can't speculate beyond that but I think you'll find the answer if you focus more on Deep Silver than YAGER.

2. Re: Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped Jul 14, 2015, 20:08 NewMaxx

They probably compared it to Dying Light and were like, "fml"  

News Comments > Op Ed
63. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 18:09 NewMaxx

Overon wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 17:55:
It's irrelevant if Derek Smart is a toxic unjustifiably arrogant narcissistic self promoting pathological liar.

You're mostly right, but not completely right. A professional football player could be hall of fame material but beat his wife; he will face suspension and possibly criminal charges. Or maybe a baseball player uses steroids to hit more home runs - is he still to be judged equally as a fantastic player? I could be Elon Musk and perhaps my automobile technologies will change the world, but if I cheated financially to get there then my business will still be at risk.

Maybe I'm a patent troll who has all the paperwork and laws behind me, does that make my claims any less repugnant? People change the system over things like this. Much of history is assholes being the best at something - including being assholes - and that doesn't shield them from judgment. Some pharaohs built pyramids on the backs of laborers, you could say they'd be the right people to ask about building pyramids; but if it required practices that are now deemed unacceptable, maybe there is a better way.

Yes, his statements should be analyzed in a vacuum, in a "black box" manner, if you will. Had they come from anybody else reactions might be somewhat different. The problem is that there is no such thing as a vacuum when it comes to opinions. We need to know the expertise of the commenter, we need to probe his motives, we need to look at his experiences, his ideology, even the basis of his reasoning. What your suggesting is similar to the thought experiment of the Chinese room, worthy of argument but inherently it misses the point.

(if you're confused by that, I'm saying that your point essentially implies that if the same exact words were randomly generated by AI and we didn't know the source the material would be more valuable than if it came from Derek Smart and we knew the source, since we are more liable to dismiss it in that case; I wholly disagree)

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2015, 18:17.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 14, 2015, 10:49 NewMaxx

Not at all surprising, I've said before on Blue's that I used to professionally game and that a large number of people abused stimulants. You've heard of people dying from playing games too many hours in a row, right? There was always a high risk of problems with this combination. Side effects like paranoia, dehydration, and long-term physical and mental problems were commonplace. When you add in the stress and drama of professional gaming you literally see madness creep up in a lot of people. I realize every time this is brought up people comment that other sports and even academics suffer from similar abuses and that's very true. Still, I think it's something people don't often take seriously enough in the gaming world.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 11, 2015, 15:28 NewMaxx

Julio wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 11:06:
I don't think there's any trick here - they're style over substance and people are paying for the name.

More generally people are being subjective. If you've ever heard of the Loudness Wars when it comes to music you know that people's taste in terms of fidelity is extremely lacking. I've helped numerous friends get audio gear and they, for example, will say Sennheiser sounds "weak" compared to Beats. They just expect a ton of muffled, fake bass and terrible mids and aren't willing to set up quality equipment (which, ironically, would still cost them less). In short, the average person has shit for taste. In objective terms Beats is overpriced garbage, though.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patched
46. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 8, 2015, 09:25 NewMaxx

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 16:23:
Actually not a bad build overall. Griffin is not in favor at the moment, but can still be a strong brawler.

Thanks. I fell asleep early last night so I didn't get the chance to reply back.

Your reply basically proves my point. I made that build before I had even played the game. It sticks enough to the base rules to allow for that, which is not a bad thing but it just doesn't translate well into a balanced video game. Which leads to the second part; let's be honest, the Griffin with that build was never in favor. You say it can still be a strong brawler but when I did actually play the game for a while, it was a liability to my team.

You later in your reply mention "hanging with a friendly ECM mech," another glaring problem I saw with the game. Actually I'm just going to stop there as I'm just getting frustrated at this point but the game was a disaster at launch and still pretty bad when I played a year ago. Maybe they fixed all this crap and it's good now, I don't know, but I was never able to play the way I wanted without derpmaster metagame plus daddy warbucks ruining it for me.

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Sells 1M; Adds Mod Support
27. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Sells 1M; Adds Mod Support Jul 8, 2015, 09:03 NewMaxx

Some things to note...

No SLI/Crossfire support under DX11 with the UE4. Only DX12. DX12 = Windows 10. Anybody wanting the best performance out of this game, especially if they have 2+ GPUs, needs to be willing to go to Windows 10 the second it comes out. The game will be designed around DX12 so that's fair warning. Personally the game has convinced me to do 8.1 -> 10 on July 29th.

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Sells 1M; Adds Mod Support
2. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Sells 1M; Adds Mod Support Jul 7, 2015, 18:04 NewMaxx

Bought it. Love it. Blue's server? Wishful thinking.  

33. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jul 7, 2015, 17:52 NewMaxx

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 17:31:
If you want to talk broken, it's been that way from the first MW game I ran on a Tandy 1000. AC/5 rounds that changed trajectory. Winning the final battle against the Deathwing with a LOCUST. Phfft....give me a break.

I agree with that. My very first post in this thread was about how trying to keep too close to the original game causes issues when you translate it to a new medium. I gave the example of Space Hulk as one area where the developers adapted but I could go further and say many of the Warhammer 40K games did a good job of that. I do think Piranha Games had enough passion for the base game, and sought money enough from the fans of it, that they inadvertently set themselves up for the current situation. It produces an elite clientele and a bit of a feedback loop because the loudest voices are whales. Combine that with the fact they end up controlling the metagame and you essentially get a pay to win game, whether directly or indirectly. Doesn't mean it's a bad game or not fun or impossible for free players, it just means it'll never break away from that initial prison. It ultimately limits the player base and even alienates fans such as myself because I'm too old to be middle-of-the-road; I'm either playing a game or I'm not.

28. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 7, 2015, 16:02 NewMaxx

Nope, haven't played in a year. I really just tried to make one mech/build work for me and it never really clicked. Probably not fair to the game but I just need to get the right "feel" from my class of choice and it never quite reached that for me.

Base build from that time I believe
http://tinyurl.com/onxuqus

At least that's what I have saved, I probably changed it a lot in practice but you get the idea...I guess I'm particular about gameplay

25. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 7, 2015, 15:28 NewMaxx

It's good to hear opinions from both sides, I don't want to be too unfair in my statements. It was just my impression from my vast experience in the F2P arena that MWO caters to whales to a large extent, and this is coming from a guy who dropped hundreds on Star Trek Online (major whale game these days) and Planetside 2 (not so much). All of which is ironic as I know how much the MWO fanbase complain about the developers. Still, catering to whales is not the same as pay to win.

In any case, yes I had fun with the game, but I stick to my assertion that I wasn't able to play the way I wanted to with how the metagame works. To be fair this also became the case for me in World of Tanks in the higher tiers (I am/was a scout-centric player), but I still honestly believe Piranha Games made a genuine effort to have the game feel close to its origins and I think they backed themselves into a position where they became reliant on monetizing around the metagame. It's all metagame and the metagame is money since that's the corner they painted themselves into when they didn't make the right decisions early on in development.

13. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 7, 2015, 12:19 NewMaxx

loomy wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 12:06:
I've never played, but I imagine the developers should cap each team to the same value. 1 heavy + 1 light mech versus 2 mediums, etc. or even make each team equal: x heavies on both teams, etc.

The matchmaking system wasn't too horrible the last time I played. I mean people will always complain, people complain endlessly about WoT's matchmaking system, and the reality is MWO doesn't have nearly as large of a player base. Smaller player base means tougher matchmaking.

I suppose the point I was getting to in my original post about that is, all else being equal, I'm hurting my team by playing with mechs I like (e.g., from the board game) with the builds I like. Someone with less skill than me can put down money for a specialized mech and build that due to the authentic mechanics, as they translate to an arena-based game, means I am simply less effective. That is a balance issue but because it leans in favor of money (IMHO) it's daringly close to pay to win. My playstyle, which should not only be doable but doable for free, has no place in their paid metagame.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy playing that way but you hurt your team and being outmatched by unfair and boring mechanics is just...well, unfair and boring.

10. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 7, 2015, 11:02 NewMaxx

It is, without a doubt, pay to win. I love the MechWarrior universe but even it was too much for me.

What's curious is why I think that. Well, it's a bit like those Space Hulk games that came out (which I love). A lot of people complained about the first game saying it was slow, too random, not enough variety, whatever. The fact is they followed the board game pretty closely and that didn't result in the best electronic experience. They changed it up with the next game by adding RPG elements and faster rules. People raved.

So here's my point: MWO toes the line a bit too much with authenticity. The problem with that is there are mechs that are just clearly better, and there are builds for those mechs that are simply superior. For example, I was a fan of the Griffin, which isn't a hugely popular mech for the reasons I just listed. Yes, I played to its strengths and made the most of my build, but simply put there are $50 mechs you can buy that all else being equal will always beat me.

The idea of realism translated to video games is nothing new in the genre, of course (someone already mentioned World of Tanks) but when you're drawing directly from a game system (whether Space Hulk or MW) it tends to produce undesirable results and you either cope with that by changing it up (Space Hulk devs) or by selling keys to victory (MWO devs). WoT is somewhere in-between the two because it's not based on an existing game system per se. I actually didn't mind the grind in MWO too much it's just that my dream of having certain mechs perform certain ways just isn't gonna happen unless I pay out.

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
37. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 5, 2015, 05:13 NewMaxx

Windows 10 for ARK SLI, 'nough said  

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Videos
17. Re: Sword Coast Legends Videos Jul 3, 2015, 20:18 NewMaxx

Hmm, reminds me of Storyteller Mode in Vampire: Redemption a little bit.  

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M
29. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 09:28 NewMaxx

The newest fad in these crafting type games is undeniably ARK. Despite the high demands of its engine it has already hit some impressive numbers.

http://steamcharts.com/app/346110

Once it gets DX12 and SLI support (both supposedly in July), I'll probably get on board and run a server of my own.

News Comments > Valve on Steam Scams
10. Re: Valve on Steam Scams Jun 26, 2015, 19:48 NewMaxx

Sepharo wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 18:26:
And if Valve capitulated to scam reimbursement then it would be Valve getting scammed.

Bingo. Valve is often the one getting scammed by these reimbursements. Many online companies (e.g., Perfect World) that offer games through Steam will delay-lock purchases if made through Steam because of stolen credit cards and scams. While I do think it's Valve's duty to make their policies clear and try to prevent scamming as much as possible, they do not need to go beyond the limits of avoiding negligence to do so. Legally that is more or less ironclad and their reimbursements beyond that were a grace period gift.

News Comments > Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released
7. Re: Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released Jun 23, 2015, 21:05 NewMaxx

saluk wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 16:39:
Anyone playing this yet? Any good?

I've found it fantastic so far, I mean if you like the Borderlands universe and its type of humor it hits the right notes. Not for the hardcore adventure gamer or anything like that, just a funny story with QTEs and a light adventure mode...and of course decisions.

859 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo