Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 643 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: New U.K. Sales Charts Oct 13, 2014, 21:50 NewMaxx

Styx is great, haven't had so much fun since Thief 2.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 12, 2014, 21:42 NewMaxx

Quinn wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 18:21:
Glad to see Styx in the list. I'm surprised by how good it is and it made me realize how consolized about every game is these days. Styx brings back the honest manual jumping and manual saves without those dumb checkpoints. It's fun and it doesn't take itself too serious. Styx' model is very nice. The AI isn't special but not flawed either. All in all, if you want the oldschool year 2000 third person stealth feel back, get yer hands on Styx. The game, that is. The goblin will cut you open.

Have to agree...only just started it but it makes me think of Thief 2 a lot in execution. Not that it's like Thief but I mean it "feels" like an old school stealth game.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Oct 11, 2014, 11:59 NewMaxx

Small magnets will, for the most part, do no harm to electronic components. I couldn't tell you how often I get the stare and questioning from people who see that I have magnets on the side of my computer case. Trust me when I say you need rather strong magnets to do any harm these days (the magnet inside a standard mechanical hard drive is orders of magnitude stronger than your fridge magnet), but it's one of those things that dies hard. Now, near a MRI is a different story...  

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
80. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 18:00 NewMaxx

UHD wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 17:26:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 17:09:
As for movies, the technology didn't exist for higher refresh rates...

The tech existed - Thomas Edison recorded his first motion pictures at 40 fps - but it was deemed too costly. 24 fps is a compromise, and as far as I know the actual framerate chosen was arbitrary.

There is a full explanation of this in this Reddit post (read through the top comments). It's pretty interesting but I didn't bother explaining it in my comments in this thread...sorry I posted at all to be honest.

69. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 16:18 NewMaxx

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 16:03:
NewMaxx wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 15:50:
Exactly. He probably feels 30 FPS is more "cinematic." Hey, many if not most people prefer movies at 24 FPS over 48 FPS. It's not at all unreasonable to suggest the guy actually feels a lower frame-rate helps set the atmosphere.

In the case of movies, there's a reason. At 48FPS the glaring issues with the CGI start showing up very easily, if you saw the first two hobbit movies in the theater you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It wasn't a case of "how things looked" it was a case of "things looked unrealistic" because of how they were rendered. In the case of games, the lower your fps look the more unrealistic they look. Remember all those games that used motion blur to cover up the fps problem and make it look smoother.

Allow me to refer you to this article on AC: Unity's decision.

Alex Amancio, the game's Creative Director, reiterated this point: "30 was our goal, it feels more cinematic" and "you don't gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn't look like the real thing. It's a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird."

So I stand by my original point that the designer very well might have decided on 30 FPS for that artistic reason.

66. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 15:50 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:34:
It's what I said earlier, it's the designer. People are under-estimating what a fucking diva Shinji Mikami is. Seriously. The guy is one of those poseur "artistes" who think they know best for everyone and wants to micromanage every aspect of their creation. The 30fps thing is the same as the aspect ratio thing, some misguided creative choice rather than some inexplicable technical limitation that more graphically intense games on the same engine don't seem to have.

Exactly. He probably feels 30 FPS is more "cinematic." Hey, many if not most people prefer movies at 24 FPS over 48 FPS. It's not at all unreasonable to suggest the guy actually feels a lower frame-rate helps set the atmosphere.

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
11. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 7, 2014, 19:48 NewMaxx

Slashman wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:46:
Cutter wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:34:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 18:54:
Wow, rather surprised WB would go this route, as the game is pretty solid on it's own and with Batman Arkham Knights right around the corner.

Why surprised? Arkham City was a cluster fuck, so they obviously want micromanagement all over this in the event it was more of the same.

I don't have a problem with demanding this sort of thing...so long as every reviewer makes it known - in very clear terms like the summation here - what it is that's being asked of them. Then people don't have to waste their time and go see real reviews somewhere else.

Think you mean Arkham Origins.

...BAZINGA!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2014, 11:25 NewMaxx

InBlack wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 10:39:
Sorry but wireless mice are not really mice.

I hate wireless mice as a rule but I eventually got tired of gaming with the wire issue so I picked up the Perixx MX-3200 on sale for like $45. It's an excellent mouse for that price...but only if you have the right sort of grip (if you like the Abyssus, you will be right at home). I also have Razer mice (Deathadder, Abyssus, etc.) and Logitech (MX310, MX325, etc.), Microsoft and Lenovo, so I tend to try everything.

Mouse skipping around the screen is almost always a hardware issue (although if it's not the mouse but an I/O latency issue, it could be new software...I use LatencyMon to check for this)...could be the cord like someone else said, most times I just replace the damn thing before I go insane over it.

News Comments > Door Kickers This Month
12. Re: Door Kickers This Month Oct 6, 2014, 18:12 NewMaxx

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 12:33:
There are already games on the market - this is a clone.

I figure you mean Breach & Clear which is, IMHO, a better game, although I wouldn't call this one a clone.

News Comments > Game Reviews
31. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 19:32 NewMaxx

Sho wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 18:49:
... If you ever find yourself in a community/team/whatever that comes up with the idea of forming a secret side-channel for 'core people', even for benign reasons like avoiding noise, try to push back. It's a path to toxicity and ruin.

Very good advice. Then again most of your posts are insightful.

Not big on scary games but have been working my way up to something like this. I've gotten much bolder and more resilient in my old age. I guess you deal with enough shit in real life you start to realize that the scariest things are within you, not without.

News Comments > The Evil Within Minimum Specs
30. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 15:27 NewMaxx

Prez wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 15:21:
In my area (midsouth US) Comcast for a long time had a soft 250GB cap (notices were rare though) before it adopted the current 300GB cap with a $10 charge for every 50 GB over the cap. I still exceed the cap every month so it's almost like games cost an extra 10 bucks for me!

Yep, this has been my experience, too (I had the 250GB soft cap and then the 300GB cap in PA before it got suspended, down here they have suspended the 300GB cap but are instituting that $10 charge for overages).

27. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 15:21 NewMaxx

Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 14:10:
This doesn't mean Comcast is all happy and friendly and no problems and caps will never come. It just means they haven't been enforced for over two years. They're still rotten and I'd never trust them, but I've had multiple providers in multiple states and never had cap issues.

Consider yourself lucky, then, I guess. I, on the other hand, have had to use a VPN service for well over a year to get proper service, in both PA and FL.

17. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 14:02 NewMaxx

Comcast absolutely had a cap, sometimes official and sometimes not depending on where you lived. Very rarely was it explicitly tracked or stated (later on they did track it on your account and did have an actual cap), and generally you would just lose your connection or get throttled once you got near it. It was 250GB/month originally, then they tried 300GB more openly, and that latter number is what they'll use down the road (charging extra for every so many GB over). For the record I used to track my usage exactly using DD-WRT (router) and root access to the modem and I can assure you this was how they approached the issue.

They had all sorts of trick with this that I won't get into but the most obvious is an IP change. You'd exceed the virtual cap and maybe get spotty net for a few days, and next thing you know you'd lose it one night/morning and when it came back you'd have a new IP, despite it being static for months on end otherwise. This is one method they used to track the "top 1%" of users or whatever, by switching them to certain IP ranges, but good luck finding that discussed anywhere. It got to the point where I'd watch a ton of Netflix one week and just say to myself "great, gonna have shitty Internet now," and bam...within 24 hours, suddenly problems left and right that persisted for 2-3 days.

16. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 13:57 NewMaxx

NetHead wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:05:
I kid, though on a serious note that doesn't make any sense, it would be in the developers/publishers interest for the game to be accessible to as many PCs as possible.

For a more relevant example, see Shadow of Mordor. It overinflated the video card requirements on top of it not even being well-optimized, and when you first start the game what do you see, nothing other than... Nvidia...THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED!

Now this game recommends a GTX 670 with 4GB of VRAM, with the requirement being a GTX 460 with 1GB. Hmm, both Nvidia graphics cards, the recommended just happening to be how much VRAM the new Nvidia cards have. Yes, I can't imagine why anyone would suspect a conspiracy here.

News Comments > Styx: Master of Shadows Trailer
6. Re: Styx: Master of Shadows Trailer Oct 2, 2014, 18:05 NewMaxx

Saboth wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 17:51:
If I were this publisher, I'd wait a bit for the clamor about Mordor to die down before releasing this.

Yeah, talk about bad timing...although on the other hand, Mordor is making me want more of the same, so it might play to its benefit in a strange way.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
53. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 21:22 NewMaxx

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 21:11:
Whoever said it was easy though, whew. I have been killed a bunch and gotten a bunch of nobody orc fodder guys promoted to captains. Not to mention the actual captains that keep hunting me down.

I haven't played it yet (beyond performance-tuning) but from what I've heard along these lines, it reminds me of the Mr. Freeze fight in their Arkham City game.

50. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 21:04 NewMaxx

JayDeath wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 20:23:
I'm wondering if the devs put forth the bogus extra VRAM requirement for the ultra textures just to cover their asses if many ppl had trouble running it in ultra.

Yeah, it's nice to have options but really they're just driving up video card sales and GDDR5 prices. You might wonder what they have to do with either of those, until you realize AAA games (on the PC) rely on sponsorship (kickbacks/assistance) from Nvidia or AMD more times than not these days. The fact it came out at the same time as the 4GB GTX 970 and 980 is not a coincidence.

4. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 09:59 NewMaxx

Played it but only to test SLI and performance settings... lol  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer
14. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer Sep 30, 2014, 07:40 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 05:40:
Performance seems really good. Note that if you use SLI, Nvidia somehow failed to get an SLI profile ready for this ahead of time. I forced AFR2 in the control panel and that got SLI going. It seems to scale really well with SLI too.

Can confirm this works. You can alternatively add the game's .exe to the F.E.A.R. 3 profile with Nvidia Inspector, which forces DX10 AFR/DX9 AFR2 but also has SLI compatibility bits.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 30, 2014, 07:09 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 23:21:
There's a fun look at the typical iPhone owner as well. Apparently they're more likely to be better educated, richer, older, taller and female compared to Android users. They also give more to charity, drink fancier coffee and watch the Simpsons. So, basically iPhone owners are a great bunch of people.

That last sentence takes it a bit too far.

There are a lot of problems with those results. For example, let's say...teenagers are a lot more likely to have an Android device. Well, that means they're less educated, poorer, and younger by default; that also explains less charity, less fancy coffee, and Family Guy over Simpsons. They do account for the height metric, though, saying "for gender and age." Wait, it doesn't account for ethnicity, does it? There are also overlaps...for example, it's known that taller people tend to be more successful in business ("professional/managerial" in the article), and I'm sure there are other things that muddy the data. For example, women are in a minority for both types of phone, despite being a slight majority in population. The fact that they prefer iPhone slightly is far less relevant than the fact women are significantly less likely to have a smartphone on the whole, when compared to men.

I could go on all day! Here's another one for you...iPhones are on average more expensive than Android phones. Therefore, richer (and more successful) people can afford the former in greater numbers. I mean really, the entire thing is ridiculous. Yes, it does tell you something more about the average iPhone user, but using that in a comparison (to Android users) is completely worthless from a scientific standpoint.

643 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo