Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 626 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: removed Nov 21, 2014, 13:30 NewMaxx

Online harassment against women is completely insane. I can't even hit up a YouTube video or an article written by a woman without seeing some seriously disturbing misogyny. You guys who know me here know I was pro-GG when it came to ethics in journalism but when it comes to online harassment, I'm firmly in the camp that believes it is out of control. I wish they wouldn't piggy-back on the GG issue but I do think it's something that has to be addressed.

An example: the other day I was browsing YouTube checking up on some news. A relatively young woman made a comment politely suggesting her stance on the issue. She was immediately flamed with comments like, "I bet you get on your knees the first date" (it was more cleverly worded than that, but you get the gist) and harassed into oblivion simply for holding an opinion and sharing it. It disgusts me.

"Thick skin" - it's easy to say when you're the gender that's been dominant since the dawn of civilization. I'm not advocating white knightism but you can't honestly tell me anything good comes out of shit like that. People need to stop behaving like animals due to the being anonymous or untouchable online. It reflects poorly on the rest of us.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
128. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:37 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:57:
I wonder what would have happened if R* had canceled multiplayer instead of delaying it?

Doesn't matter. Again, we're talking about the difference between investing and purchasing. If you invest, you have virtually 0 rights.

If you purchase, you do have some buyer protections. The two concepts are "bone fides" (good faith) and "caveat emptor" (buyer beware). It's a balance between the responsibility of the vendor and the responsibility of the consumer.

In any case, as I said earlier in this thread, in the former case (investing) you have to prove willful fraud, that is intent to deceive under malfeasance. Now if the money is already gone (spent) then most of the time the investors get f'd over. Review history on that, it's not uncommon.

In the latter case (purchasing), you generally do have a right to a refund unless explicitly denied at the time of purchase. This is why so many games come with massive EULAs - the box of games often made it clear that you agree to the EULA upon purchase, not reading, as most people believe. These EULAs rarely proved binding because, again, good faith; that is, there must have been a reasonable expectation on the part of the developer to meet its promises with no intent to deceive. It's also possible to argue negligence in some cases although that usually involves more serious damages (that is, games don't fall under that purview).

Note that there are refunds for people who pre-ordered.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2014, 17:42.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
63. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 14:27 NewMaxx

The policy makes sense to me.

People already playing the game through backing it or specifically buying access to Alpha/Beta (and thus, backing it): investing (no refund)

People who only pre-ordered: purchasing (refund)

That's pretty basic stuff there. Now, it's a shitty thing to do and their reputation is definitely damaged, but that doesn't make it a criminal offense. It would be a stretch to make a legal case and it would have to be based on the lack of good faith (bona fides), which in the case of malfeasance means intent to deceive (requiring evidence).

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
17. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 19, 2014, 06:47 NewMaxx

Asmo wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:41:
Side note, anyone running these with surround (multi monitor) and is there a workable option from switching to a single monitor via hotkey?

Multiple solutions. I've made simple .vbs scripts to do this and run them through AutoHotkey (can't live without that program) but I also have a hotkey for enabling/disabling secondary monitors in UltraMon (another great program). I tie both of these to macro keys on my keyboards and mouse for extra ease.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
69. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 19, 2014, 01:03 NewMaxx

1badmf wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 21:23:
i just went to fry's and bought this corsair aluminum based textured mat that's pretty awesome, though it's so big i had to place it lengthwise. tracking errors completely gone now; surprising how a used mat can cause a mouse sensor to fuck up.

That would be similar to the Razer Manticor, yeah. They're very nice pads. I use the MM400 primarily as I said, but I like small pads. Metal pads can wear your mouse down and can be noisy though. I actually buy packs of teflon mouse skates from a vendor in China every few years (a few dozen mice worth each time).

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2014, 16:28.

64. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 21:16 NewMaxx

1badmf wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 17:58:
anybody have a recommendation for a good mouse mat? the 3m one i was using suddenly started causing tracking errors. i switched to an old one and it completely went away. i know, i have no idea either.

I have a half dozen gaming pads or so and the choice comes down to your personal style. I tend to wear most of them out very quick, the only ones that don't wear out are the high-end metal/glass ones (manticor comes to mind), but don't confuse that with durability.

So, basically, you have: fractal type (devastator, scarab), aluminum/metal type (pro, manticor), hard plastic (ratpadz), cloth (goliathus, generic), or glass. These all come in varying sizes, too. I'm a high DPI gamer who likes a tight playing space so I use the Corsair Vengeance MM400 Compact (not Standard). When I play with slower DPI and/or need more space I prefer the Razer Scarab. I only use metal for machines I use for design and production tasks, mainly because the Razer Pro was badass for that back in the day. They are very loud. Glass is similar to metal. I only use cloth for very low DPI mice or gaming, although the best large pads are also cloth (goliathus). I like hard plastic for mobility - if I'm tight on space but want a rugged pad (although the ratpadz is a classic gaming mouse pad).

So, figure out what you want out of those, first, then I can probably help you narrow down to specific models, lol.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2014, 16:27.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 16:57 NewMaxx

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 14:14:
This uses Denuvo, so no thanks. I don't care how good it looks. Steam/Origin is DRM enough. There's no goddamned need to decrypt, read/write in to memory and then re-encrypt on the fly. This a game, not a fucking NSA database.

Won't get a buy from me either because of this. (I have ME1-3 + DA1-2 on my Origin account)

I have plenty of experience with encryption and cryptology and really this blows my mind. I mean in many ways this "anti-tamper" technology is better than restricting DRM but there is quite a slippery slope here. It's headed towards console territory, in the sense you might eventually have it tied to things like a TPM. Do I sound like a conspiracy theorist? Microsoft essentially requires it (for NEW machines) for Windows 8+ and Windows 10 might be needed for DX12 titles. I don't spend tons of money on my PC to have a locked down system that might have difficulties with mods, misapplied online bans, and far more if that structure builds out. EA was already on my shit-list but now it's full out ditching my Origin account. For the cost of this game I could support Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, and Divinity...peace out.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 17:19.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 15, 2014, 18:54 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 13:55:
DDS ... no, just no ;/ Proper story and setting would be cute, this is just silly humor

I hate to be the bearer of strange news but...there are actually people who are, uh, "into" dragons. I don't get it either. Just saying.

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor DDoSed
26. Re: Warlords of Draenor DDoSed Nov 14, 2014, 20:26 NewMaxx

Kajetan wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 20:19:
He is part of the hype machine, he is part of the problem. People are getting hyped, they buy the game, they get angry and they DO NOT EVER LEARN A THING! Best customers a company can wish.

AJ can be fun for a piece of entertainment now and then but I have to say it gets old pretty fast. He hyped up some games I ended up playing (like ESO) and the presence of his "army" was just...a problem.

24. Re: Warlords of Draenor DDoSed Nov 14, 2014, 20:19 NewMaxx

Nut wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 19:59:
It still seems ridiculous to me for WoW but I guess there are still enough people out there that want to buy in-game advantages that it's a strong enough market for people to be out there looking for exploits. I can imagine why that would be worse for free-to-play games (since the developers themselves there monetize the in-game assets).

I agree that hitting WoW with such a coordinated attack seems pretty crazy but again, these groups have many connections beyond just DDOS and gaming. A lot of these groups have ties to money laundering and things of that nature, in fact I imagine if you trace the money back some of the higher ups likely have ties to prostitution and the like. Such criminal hierarchies are very common in Russia and China. It's pretty crazy, actually. While it is true that a lot of the Chinese hackers are more of the "cell" variety, there is a definite structure and motive behind a lot of what they do. A little USD is worth a lot more in those countries, too.

You may recall the article posted on here the other day about Armored Warfare. In that article they quote a guy from World of Tanks who basically states that purchased tanks and items carry major "prestige" in Russia. The problem we Westerners (and especially Americans) have is that we don't really consider the fact that their culture is very different. So trying to explain why these guys DDOS in "US culture" terms - "for the lulz" - is missing the point.

I used to work with an international group that among other things did vulnerability testing (Americans were a minority) and that experience quickly made me appreciate how much a barrier culture can be. It's easy to offend someone or misunderstand someone's intentions if you don't share the same perspective. That being said, these kind of attacks are a drop in the ocean in terms of the big picture, but hey...this is a gaming site!

19. Re: Warlords of Draenor DDoSed Nov 14, 2014, 19:30 NewMaxx

Nut wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:37:
I have only a vague conceptual notion of what a DDOS is, but I do wonder about motives here. Is this really just a pleasure-seeker or is it possible this is someone with a vested interest against Blizzard, such as a Chinese competitor? Or are all these attacks from China just coincidental due to them being infected bots all running unpatched Windows XP or something stupid? Just curious about how these things work.

Every time one of these DDOS-MMO threads comes up I have to say the same thing. These attacks are largely done with the intent to find and use vulnerabilities and exploits in the game and its systems. It's related to the concept of buffer overflow and code execution but mostly it's to discover weaknesses. It's more commonly done with F2P and Eastern MMOs because even small market manipulations can bring significant windfalls as many of these groups are involved in all other types of cyber criminal activities. Plus, F2P have smaller budgets and likely fewer safeguards. Games happen to be the most vulnerable during major events - like an expansion pack launch - and the new code introduced into the system is most liable to have vulnerabilities at the same time. Basically, they hit the target at its weakest point with full force and exploit any advantages, in-game or otherwise. You suggest a possible Chinese competitor and while I wouldn't say that, hurting Blizzard on a major launch day is something that could be taken advantage of in more complex ways.

I know about this because I've done security/penetration testing and one of the first things you do is DDOS your systems and throw everything you have at it. Sometimes this causes hidden problems to "emerge": there might be a bug that creates a profitable exploit in the game that only shows up when the server is under stress, for example. These guys use botnets and zombies to do the work for them and they can even hire it to be done for relatively cheap. It's a lot more expensive to design secure code than it is to exploit it.

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
60. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 8, 2014, 16:56 NewMaxx

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 15:39:
Have we even seen nearly enough to know whether it is innovative or not? Really, how innovative was TF2? It was just a well-polished and pretty well-balanced team shooter with a fun art style. This one looks to be much the same in the visuals and gameplay concept, but beyond it being a team shooter with more classes than TF2, we don't know much. Definitely a wait and see thing, but it looks promising.

Word on the street is that it was built from salvaged Titan designs. That wouldn't surprise me at all given that there seem to be a lot more "types" of characters than you typically find in a TF2-like game. I imagine the resulting archetypes were resolved from the various races/classes from Titan. In my experience, balance in PVP is always an issue and a large part of that is from "flavor of the month" and the like. If you look at any modern MOBA or even arena fighting games (like Smash Bros) you see a similar pattern. Does it affect the "average" player? Not at all. Let's be clear, though, that the highest grossing players (from Blizzard's perspective) are the top and hardcore players.

These are the guys who are also streaming and getting the game out their socially. That dynamic with freemium games is not something I think a lot of older PC gamer types have wrapped their heads around yet, but I can assure you that it most definitely affects innovation. I've seen it as a growing trend as a player in the last few years, where design decisions are skewed towards making certain people happy at the detriment of others. It's bad enough in a situation like WoW PVP, which is level in that everybody pays a subscription but not everybody engages in PVP. Now take away the sub and make it only PVP and you might start to see what I mean.

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
79. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 15:38 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 13:40:
Grognard usually refers to someone who plays war or strategy games.

In this case, yes, although it refers to the French "old grumblers" who were veterans of many conflicts in the 19th century.

Source: The Franco-Prussian War

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 3, 2014, 21:13 NewMaxx

Word on the street is that he didn't want to work with Seth Rogen.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition
30. Re: Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 1, 2014, 07:40 NewMaxx

The removal of the dedicated healing class is something they borrowed from the Drakensang games (The Dark Eye system) which has several results.

First, as someone in this thread mentioned, it makes the battles more about attrition than outright defeat, which as I mentioned in the previous DA3 thread places the onus on damage mitigation. This tends to favor crowd control and also tends to change the traditional tank mechanics. Second, because it's about attrition it comes down to time. This is familiar to modern MMO players as most bosses have rage timers these days. This ties into the attrition mechanic by making DPS much more important as it's really a race to down the enemy first. Lastly, you still have indirect healing with protection spells and direct healing with potions, which encourages you to plan in the former case and to manage a cooldown in the latter. The overall result of all these factors is a juggling match of more action-oriented play, but as I said in the last DA3 thread, in my experience this is a move away from the BG2-style fights towards ones that are easier to balance for the devs and easier to beat, in terms of tactical planning, for the players.

I didn't mind the combat in DA2 and actually enjoyed it in DA:O (a lot of my friends who never played the old games thought it was "too hard"), but I also have a lot of experience with the Drakensang games (which seem overly tactical/attrition-based at times). It seems they're trying for the best of both worlds, here, that is to say something that won't be slow and boring while still offering a lot of options. Will it succeed? Time will tell. I'm more of a traditionalist with these things but I'm pleased that they are willing to try a compromise.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
38. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 31, 2014, 07:26 NewMaxx

Jivaro wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:57:
If you view this announcement from the perspective of a person who has never faced harrassment because of their sexual orientation than I suppose this isn't a big deal.

What about other kinds of harassment? What about racism? What about being mocked for being overweight your entire academic career? Well, I guess the former is often obvious and the latter is something you can change. Yes, let's focus only on sexual proclivity when talking about it. I guess Tim Cook figures enough people are indoctrinated to keep buying Apple despite his proclamation or, hell, they might even find it more hip to get behind it now ( /s ).

The real reason he made a statement is because the rumors were rampant and he knew he was in a position where he could come out and say it. I respect him and commend him for that even though for me, personally, I don't need to hear it said. For those that benefit from his words, more power to them, although I have to say my interest in Apple or any other technology company really isn't affected by the management's sexual or personal preferences.

Excuse me if I sound like I'm coming off as a jerk, it's just that in my worldview we have things like this and Gamergate talking about feminism and homosexuality when the very definitions of gender are changing on a daily basis. There may very well come a time when the entire concept of gender is considered antiquated - we already have Facebook and Google dealing with the "identity" issues - so I kind of find all of this...I guess you could say, outdated.

News Comments > etc.
55. Re: etc. Oct 31, 2014, 07:17 NewMaxx

DV wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:17:
Anti-GG SJW in action. This woman did NOT deserve the hate and intolerance shown her for having her own opinion.

Crazy, right? It just goes to show you that every agenda has its fractions and its factions, the crystallization of my experience is that social institutions by nature learn to become masters of splitting hairs more than anything else.

News Comments > etc., etc.
26. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 07:01 NewMaxx

Actually, I feel she does touch on some of the right points.

Quinn did suggest that there are "real concerns" about ethics in games journalism, but from the very beginning the GamerGate movement focused on the wrong area - on "the people with the least power in the industry."

"Nobody's talking about the relationship between the major publishers and the press," Quinn continued, advising those with actual concerns to abandon the irrevocably tarnished GamerGate hashtag.

"Many of the real concerns that people should have about ethics in games journalism have been completely ignored."

She also talks about bullying (specifically, cyber-bullying) which is also a major issue right now. It's not just men against women but women against women, men against men, etc. She also specifically condemns "the industry" - that is, the gaming companies and the complex itself, and also the "hate mob" rather than gamers individually. She can be a bit vague with all this and still puts out a "even if you do nothing you are helping the enemy" type of vibe. So I can't say I really find her comments to be impacting in that regard but neither do I see her saying some of the shit I'm seeing anti-GG people saying ostensibly in her name.

As far as Fryberg is concerned, I don't follow these things but wasn't he Native American?

And there was the tight-knit world of his Tulalip Tribes, where much of life was steeped in history and tradition and where virtually everyone he knew was family in some way.

Yep...definitely our white, misogynistic culture at work! I wish I used cookies so I could block the outright insanity I am reading from certain people on here.

I also take offense at people suggesting there was a "winner" and a "loser." Trust me when I say, as far as Gamergate goes, everybody lost.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 18:30 NewMaxx

harlock wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 13:54:
its bait and switch.. the same manipulative dumbfucks who try to game the journalism circles and "control culture" or whatever the fuck, are the same assholes who are pushing the misogyny agenda to get the attention off of them

I know a bit about it as in the late 1990s and early 2000s I actually worked as a gaming reviewer (for an Australian gaming site, strangely enough) and did some technical writing for AMD (some of my stuff is still around, I wrote baseline material on V-Sync, triple buffering, etc. to dispel misinformation). I also used to know the Gamespot guys pretty well before they became an institution and in fact the roots I have in that community helped me end up on Blue's News (and I know quite a few of the lurkers around here to this day). I also worked on more than one MMO (on graphics, writing, and design, as well as on the technical side) and hope to get into indie game design sooner rather than later. None of that makes me an expert on the issues facing the gaming community now but it does help me gain perspective on what's "really" going on here.

It's not something new. Remember when Gerstmann got fired in 2007 over his Kane & Lynch review, and how many reviewers ended up going with him? That actually wasn't the first incident of something like that, it's just that most were internalized to smaller sites or to individual development studies. Moreover, gaming in the mobile space and in the indie space hadn't taken off yet. That's a key issue when talking about GG: the fact that it only became an exposed issue when gaming became a widespread, casual phenomenon ingrained into social media. When these journalists started having more sway, more power especially over indie studio success, this problem rose to the top.

The irony is, of course, that misogyny in the industry if anything has been on the decline during this same period. Female developers have begun to have a bit of a renaissance and are even earning prominent positions on AAA games. The fact that Quinn was involved in the manner she was should actually support the side arguing for journalist integrity. To ignore this history and the trends and make the issue purely about feminism is to set back this progress several years while simultaneously reinforcing the negatives we're seen since 2007. Feminism issues in the industry have been around far, far longer than ethics, yet somehow they've become twisted together...the question is who has to gain by that corruption.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 13:01 NewMaxx

I've actually read several comments by female, pro-GG gamers that stuck entirely to the ethics issues and laid out a series of pertinent examples. The problem is these comments get covered up by both sides almost immediately and you can't even find them in the haze that is incoherent ramblings about other things. These comments, however, HAVE appropriate targets and DO suggest doing things (the advertising approach is just one) but these voices of reason get lost in the crowd. It's inherently a problem with social media; people become exaggerations of their platforms as if they were living, breathing memes.

I don't really see how it originally had anything to do with women, to be honest. In my mind it was about the secret group of gaming journalists who had the ability to apply pressure to writers and deny or push indie developers based on personal whims and connections. Journalism must be neutral and unbiased by definition and there are multiple examples of this trust being violated. I have no problem addressing the issue of women and feminism in gaming separately, but for me Gamergate was always about journalism. It simply suited both sides of the issue to move the goalposts and block out legitimate discussion while using blanket labels and descriptions of the other side.

626 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo