Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 611 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
38. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 31, 2014, 07:26 NewMaxx

Jivaro wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:57:
If you view this announcement from the perspective of a person who has never faced harrassment because of their sexual orientation than I suppose this isn't a big deal.

What about other kinds of harassment? What about racism? What about being mocked for being overweight your entire academic career? Well, I guess the former is often obvious and the latter is something you can change. Yes, let's focus only on sexual proclivity when talking about it. I guess Tim Cook figures enough people are indoctrinated to keep buying Apple despite his proclamation or, hell, they might even find it more hip to get behind it now ( /s ).

The real reason he made a statement is because the rumors were rampant and he knew he was in a position where he could come out and say it. I respect him and commend him for that even though for me, personally, I don't need to hear it said. For those that benefit from his words, more power to them, although I have to say my interest in Apple or any other technology company really isn't affected by the management's sexual or personal preferences.

Excuse me if I sound like I'm coming off as a jerk, it's just that in my worldview we have things like this and Gamergate talking about feminism and homosexuality when the very definitions of gender are changing on a daily basis. There may very well come a time when the entire concept of gender is considered antiquated - we already have Facebook and Google dealing with the "identity" issues - so I kind of find all of this...I guess you could say, outdated.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
55. Re: etc. Oct 31, 2014, 07:17 NewMaxx

DV wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:17:
Anti-GG SJW in action. This woman did NOT deserve the hate and intolerance shown her for having her own opinion.

Crazy, right? It just goes to show you that every agenda has its fractions and its factions, the crystallization of my experience is that social institutions by nature learn to become masters of splitting hairs more than anything else.

News Comments > etc., etc.
26. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 07:01 NewMaxx

Actually, I feel she does touch on some of the right points.

Quinn did suggest that there are "real concerns" about ethics in games journalism, but from the very beginning the GamerGate movement focused on the wrong area - on "the people with the least power in the industry."

"Nobody's talking about the relationship between the major publishers and the press," Quinn continued, advising those with actual concerns to abandon the irrevocably tarnished GamerGate hashtag.

"Many of the real concerns that people should have about ethics in games journalism have been completely ignored."

She also talks about bullying (specifically, cyber-bullying) which is also a major issue right now. It's not just men against women but women against women, men against men, etc. She also specifically condemns "the industry" - that is, the gaming companies and the complex itself, and also the "hate mob" rather than gamers individually. She can be a bit vague with all this and still puts out a "even if you do nothing you are helping the enemy" type of vibe. So I can't say I really find her comments to be impacting in that regard but neither do I see her saying some of the shit I'm seeing anti-GG people saying ostensibly in her name.

As far as Fryberg is concerned, I don't follow these things but wasn't he Native American?

And there was the tight-knit world of his Tulalip Tribes, where much of life was steeped in history and tradition and where virtually everyone he knew was family in some way.

Yep...definitely our white, misogynistic culture at work! I wish I used cookies so I could block the outright insanity I am reading from certain people on here.

I also take offense at people suggesting there was a "winner" and a "loser." Trust me when I say, as far as Gamergate goes, everybody lost.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 18:30 NewMaxx

harlock wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 13:54:
its bait and switch.. the same manipulative dumbfucks who try to game the journalism circles and "control culture" or whatever the fuck, are the same assholes who are pushing the misogyny agenda to get the attention off of them

I know a bit about it as in the late 1990s and early 2000s I actually worked as a gaming reviewer (for an Australian gaming site, strangely enough) and did some technical writing for AMD (some of my stuff is still around, I wrote baseline material on V-Sync, triple buffering, etc. to dispel misinformation). I also used to know the Gamespot guys pretty well before they became an institution and in fact the roots I have in that community helped me end up on Blue's News (and I know quite a few of the lurkers around here to this day). I also worked on more than one MMO (on graphics, writing, and design, as well as on the technical side) and hope to get into indie game design sooner rather than later. None of that makes me an expert on the issues facing the gaming community now but it does help me gain perspective on what's "really" going on here.

It's not something new. Remember when Gerstmann got fired in 2007 over his Kane & Lynch review, and how many reviewers ended up going with him? That actually wasn't the first incident of something like that, it's just that most were internalized to smaller sites or to individual development studies. Moreover, gaming in the mobile space and in the indie space hadn't taken off yet. That's a key issue when talking about GG: the fact that it only became an exposed issue when gaming became a widespread, casual phenomenon ingrained into social media. When these journalists started having more sway, more power especially over indie studio success, this problem rose to the top.

The irony is, of course, that misogyny in the industry if anything has been on the decline during this same period. Female developers have begun to have a bit of a renaissance and are even earning prominent positions on AAA games. The fact that Quinn was involved in the manner she was should actually support the side arguing for journalist integrity. To ignore this history and the trends and make the issue purely about feminism is to set back this progress several years while simultaneously reinforcing the negatives we're seen since 2007. Feminism issues in the industry have been around far, far longer than ethics, yet somehow they've become twisted together...the question is who has to gain by that corruption.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 13:01 NewMaxx

I've actually read several comments by female, pro-GG gamers that stuck entirely to the ethics issues and laid out a series of pertinent examples. The problem is these comments get covered up by both sides almost immediately and you can't even find them in the haze that is incoherent ramblings about other things. These comments, however, HAVE appropriate targets and DO suggest doing things (the advertising approach is just one) but these voices of reason get lost in the crowd. It's inherently a problem with social media; people become exaggerations of their platforms as if they were living, breathing memes.

I don't really see how it originally had anything to do with women, to be honest. In my mind it was about the secret group of gaming journalists who had the ability to apply pressure to writers and deny or push indie developers based on personal whims and connections. Journalism must be neutral and unbiased by definition and there are multiple examples of this trust being violated. I have no problem addressing the issue of women and feminism in gaming separately, but for me Gamergate was always about journalism. It simply suited both sides of the issue to move the goalposts and block out legitimate discussion while using blanket labels and descriptions of the other side.

News Comments > etc.
38. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 07:05 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 06:20:
Write-in campaigns to advertisers is a tried and true media protest strategy that has been used for decades, particularly by progressive or liberal causes. To see people who have used that same strategy turn around it and condemn it as unethical is really bizarre.

It's like I said in another recent GG post on here: righteous people, whether Left or Right, don't think the rules apply to them. If your cause is correct and just then the ends justify the means, including hypocrisy. Which is why the entire GG issue is such a mess, involving every sort of logical fallacy known to mankind.

I have only a few close friends that I really consider "gamers." Half of them are female. I've thoroughly discussed these issues with them to gauge their opinion and the patterns I see are disturbing. I'd like to post my findings but I have no doubt they'd be twisted as being misogynistic or biased or whatever. All I can say is that the ones most likely to be anti-GG are the ones who already feel they are on the fringes while the pro-GG ones tend to see themselves as gamers first and women second when it comes to the issues.

News Comments > On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support
26. Re: On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support Oct 27, 2014, 04:46 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 00:49:
They say they're using only a single GPU. I assume it's a beefed up 8GB 290X single GPU that's not on the market?

It's available - for $949. Specs on it seem to be the same as the 295X2, though...

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2014, 04:56.

News Comments > On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support
9. Re: On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support Oct 26, 2014, 15:05 NewMaxx

Slick wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 14:14:
mantle is nifty, but shadowplay is worth the price of admission alone to have a nvidia card. it's a bitch that so many games aren't supported by the geforce experience though, and you can't manually force a game to be recognized, and only if it's recognized does shadowplay work :(

Don't quote me on this since I never use Shadowplay but, I think you can capture pretty much any game if you enable desktop capture before launching the game. I only tried that once with an unsupported title and it worked fine.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
30. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 17:06 NewMaxx

I'm looking forward to playing this but I know it'll never come close to matching SMAC. SMAC was just an amazing game...I would pay for a graphics update with hexes instead of squares.

To those who haven't played Alpha Centauri, it just had it all. You could make your own custom units - my favorites were the flying and sea-worthy colony pods, including fun mixtures with helicopters for everything else. That's something Galactic Civilizations is known for, but very few other games of the type have attempted it or been successful.

The dialogue/text was fantastic and a story was told as the game progressed naturally through technological progress. The voice-acting is fantastic and you get to know the motivations of each faction and their leader quite well after a few play-throughs. It was one of the few games of its type where I wanted to try and play every faction/leader in order to enjoy another piece of the game.

It was also the first game of its type to have intelligent AI - everything from automated workers/scouts to the Planet forces and the enemy factions. It was far from perfect by today's standards (well, maybe not, have things really improved with diplomacy up to and including Civ 5?) but at the time it definitely set the bar. I actually lost games to genuinely smart AI, a first for me.

I could keep going on about it but we're discussing Beyond Earth. I have it installed, I fired it up, and I intend to play it soon. My first game will without a doubt be Franco-Iberia going for Harmony, probably with Artists (to boost the F-I bonus), tectonic (city location planning early on), and perhaps machinery (I love workers!). My favorite faction in SMAC was Gaia's Stepdaughters and this seems close. I'm not expecting anything amazing, though.

20. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 22:02 NewMaxx

There has been speculation of "false flag" incidents related to anti-GG rhetoric but no solid evidence as of yet. I mention that because people are happy to jump on the bandwagon of conspiracy theories (JFK, Truthers, Illuminati, British bankers, Google, take your pick) but for some reason people are taking these things at face value. Honestly, when you open yourself up to exposure on social media - and yes, that means merely venting an opinion, but especially if you are "famous" because of it - then I find it difficult to have sympathy. If I went on Facebook tomorrow and posted, "hurr durr, women against GG should be killed, hurr durr," I would EXPECT backlash. So excuse me if I see half of this issue as, on one side, people giving their opinion for attention and their agenda, while the other side is basically trolling. None of it is dealing with worthwhile issues and the entire thing needs to be dropped.

As for the entire "gamers are male misogynists" thing...most gamers are female, a minority of the male gamers are misogynists, and even if the gender divide was true, so what? Take a look at the gender job gap sometime and you'll see great disparities. Now, I understand that the real issue is "tropes in gaming," that's great...what about tropes in movies? Right, Hollywood is liberal, nevermind. What about rap music that is generally greatly misogynistic? Oh right, African-Americans, that would be racist. Hypocrisy knows no bounds. Inherently anything that generalizes a group as a "culture" is designed to have an agenda because it is creating a target. That's a real problem here.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2014, 14:12 NewMaxx

I had issues installing the drivers, too. Pain in the ass. Eventually I manually updated the drivers through device manager, which failed and had me down to the default (low) resolution, but a reboot let Windows reinstall a rolled-back driver from which I was able to upgrade using the new driver set. Keep in mind I run a custom install with all 3D options and Experience unchecked (set DSR through global 3D settings).

As I am playing through Dreamfall before starting the Chapters, I tried DSR @ 4k with that title. Worked fine!

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
10. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 23, 2014, 00:02 NewMaxx

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 23:57:
PHJF wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 23:25:
The real question is, why would anyone with the money to be able to run games at 4K not be using a 4K monitor?

Poor scaling, limited choice of displays compared to 1080p or 1440p, high prices. Just off the top of my head.

I personally prefer smaller, high-quality monitors that have high pixel density and excellent clarity and refresh rates, all while being significantly cheaper...I'd rather put my money into the GPU. The reality is there are many games like Shadow of Mordor I can only run at 1440p and others like Alien: Isolation I can manage 4k (keeping in mind I mean at maximum quality at a sustainable 60+ FPS). If I could get a great 4k monitor and have 60+ FPS on all new titles with $1000+ sunk into GPUs on top of that, I would, but I can spend FAR less and have a fantastic 1080p monitor and cards that can run anything @ 1080p+ @ 120 FPS while being able to down-sample most of them (mostly 1440p, but many will do 4k).

I understand that a lot of gamers hold a very different view than that, each to his own, but to me having a shitty 4k monitor and not being able to run most games at 60+ FPS with my hardware on it is kind of like - why bother? I prefer a quality experience to gigantic screens and resolutions. If I can run a game at 4k then I can just down-sample and still get a considerable benefit without having to worry about issues with non-native resolutions on more demanding games with a 4k monitor.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2014, 00:10.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
8. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 22, 2014, 23:51 NewMaxx

I've been running games at 1440p on my 1080p monitor for over a year now simply using a custom resolution. I specifically started using it with Planetside 2 with excellent results. That is down-sampling, which is the same thing as super-sampling. There were tools out to help with that like GeDoSaTo. Now there's official driver support with supposedly better results through using a specific filter for it and potentially fixing UI scaling issues on specific games/engines. All of this is easily discoverable through some simple Google searches.  

29. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 07:38 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 04:42:
As Squirmer was saying, people in industries talk to each other, but they aren't sitting there sending it over mailing lists that virtually every employer in the industry is reading, and proceeding to drop names. They aren't that foolish.

Haha, exactly. I mean consider for a moment that these are "journalists," people whose job it is to inform other people. Yeah, let's air out our dirty laundry in a semi-public forum with these guys! It's really nuts that our society embraces whistle-blowers of any color unless it even remotely involves a social issue like gender. Once again, I state that this reminds me of the drama I've seen in most raid guilds in MMOs...small potatoes shit with people who are self-important, letting even a miniscule amount of fame or power get to their heads.

You guys are right about the legality issues. It's true even in relationships that are merely related to business, such as those in Hollywood (for the most part) - there's no "kiss and tell."

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 22, 2014, 06:58 NewMaxx

Beamer wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 19:27:
I'm not convinced the economics will ever work out wonderfully for a la carte for me, personally. Hell, I'm already paying $120/month for internet and cable despite watching probably 4-7 hours of TV per week. What I do think, though, is it will be nice to get some pricing competition.

I've heard people clamoring to have "a la carte" for years now and whenever I've worked out the economics, it always ends up being more expensive. The poorer shows and channels really do help subsidize the better ones. It's important to keep advertisements in mind, too; you're not only paying for cable, you're "paying" through watching commercials (well, the average person is).

That being said, competition would drive down prices as you suggest, but it would also greatly reduce the number of channels and shows that could afford it. Would we have AMC's "Breaking Bad" or "Mad Men" in such a risky universe? People assume such changes would exist in a vacuum but it would fundamentally change the landscape, and something like the Comcast-NBC merger would expand dramatically.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
14. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Oct 21, 2014, 22:43 NewMaxx

Cpmartins wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 22:37:
You can, indeed, bang the bull. The bad boy is bi!
http://i.imgur.com/Ggf14ua.jpg

Let me get this straight...as a heterosexual male I have only two choices in the game and that is only 1/3 of female characters available, only one of which is not bisexual. Wow...talk about needing a SJW.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
10. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Oct 21, 2014, 21:48 NewMaxx

Looks like the removal of healing outside of potions (yet another idea DA has borrowed from the Drakensang titles) has indeed had the anticipated effect: less healing means less tanking (damage sponge), which puts the emphasis on DPS and crowd control. This usually means shorter battles and it may reduce the learning part of tactical engagements (compared to, say, BG2). It's still "wait and see" but as someone who appreciates the extra dimension of healing in battles, and as someone who also appreciates the slow burn of Drakensang even without full healing elements, my expectation is this will neither have the first nor be the latter.  

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
55. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 21:03 NewMaxx

beremot wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 19:49:
Yeah, that Jade cartoon is hilarious! Look, she's giving blow jobs! She's attractive, so she deserves to be depicted that way! Haw haw!

I don't get it. I really don't.

The cartoon is offensive and inappropriate on pretty much every level, however you need to keep it within the context. At the time she was a producer on Assassin's Creed (the original) and made a lot of public spectacle over how great the game was going to be, had several appearances on sites/videos, etc. The game then came out and was very underwhelming. Do we lampoon Molyneux when he talks up a game that ends up falling flat? Yes. Is it fair to sexualize her but not him? Not really, but keep in mind that using attractive women to sell products is hardly anything new. There's no evidence that was actually a factor here but the comic was mocking the insinuation.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
38. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 19:54 NewMaxx

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 19:53:
And yet publishers have her "consulting" on games like Mirror's Edge 2.

Read about the community manager for The Mighty No. 9 and check through its saga...reminds me of that.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
35. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 19:48 NewMaxx

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 19:42:
What's funny is every time GG ignores her, she comes back trying to re-inject herself doing something that screams "LOOK AT ME!!!!!" And she gets ignored again, and comes back with something else.

Not atypical in the psychology of a person like this. It's especially common in the entertainment business and among women, who consistently keep themselves relevant. Don't get me wrong, men do it too (equally as much, actually), it's just that the audience (average American) tends to focus more on the women (and thus it is more effective). In any case it is a symptom of fame and how it either emphasizes a person's personality or creates new flaws within it.

611 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo