Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 642 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 18, 2014, 03:22 NewMaxx

InBlack wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 02:25:
Kim Jong Un - 1:0 - Hollywood

Seriously, this has got to be the biggest win N. Korea has had in the last 50 years or so.

If by N. Korea you mean their Chinese backers, then yeah. Personally I love that Hollywood is getting owned on a regular basis. About time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
21. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 12:21 NewMaxx

Wildone wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 11:00:
I remember when there was a new windows ever 3-5 years..now its every 6 months?!? Who the fuck updates so frequently. Im on 7 and quite happy

Quick updates are a side effect of the mobile revolution. Just look at Firefox. It's not so much for people updating as it is for new devices. People talk about how you buy a desktop and it lasts for years, right? That doesn't apply to tablets and phones. Devices are getting blurred and, actually, people like the feeling of updates. You know how anti-virus programs are so annoying asking you for updates constantly? They do that to keep people subscribing and aware of the program. It's all psychology. Again, the best example is Firefox when it switched to its current rapid deployment. It's annoying as hell for developers and hardcore users but it's a boon for everybody else, we talk about "consolization" but it happens for everything in life. People are dumbasses with short attention spans.

People ignored Windows 2000, but loved XP. People hated Vista but loved 7. The differences between those two sets of OS at release was virtually nothing. The latter OS in each set came relatively shortly after the first. So it's not only a matter of "new" from a psychology perspective but also the ability to quickly adapt the OS to get people on board with it. Just look at how people treat 8.1 vs 8 to see what I mean. How much time was it between those two? About a year, but it was closer to eight months from release to the next's beta.

News Comments > CitesXXL Announced
5. Re: CitesXXL Announced Dec 12, 2014, 01:34 NewMaxx

Cities XL began its life as an MMO. I know because I helped test it. It was quite ambitious but it always had issues. These issues were not completely resolved even after many revisions and the dropping of the online part. It's something we want to see happen when done right - a good city simulation game - but this won't be it most likely.

Something I want to state, however, is that Focus Home Interactive has actually done pretty well recently. They've published more winners than losers since the beginning of 2012. Even if the game is only a step better than the last one, it's a step in the right direction...I guess that is a mild form of optimism.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2014, 23:21 NewMaxx

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 17:45:
I'm more worried about the people who are both aware & perfectly ok with it.

This is more or less what I once told a friend of mine when he showed disgust at people voting a certain way during an election because of their beliefs. I told him that those people aren't the problem, rather the biggest danger is people who really believe they are doing the right thing and that they are smarter than (and thus more capable of representing) other people. I'd rather risk a righteous person than a righteous person with hubris. What I was politely saying is that he was acting like one of those latter people, but it went over his head.

I consider myself an amateur historian these days and trying to explain even basic concepts to the average person is difficult. Trying to explain it to someone intelligent who also thinks they know better or, worse, someone who doesn't care, is significantly more troublesome.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2014, 23:26.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder)
18. Re: Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder) Dec 10, 2014, 11:55 NewMaxx

Timmeh wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 11:24:
Today the world is dominated by carebears who only imagine they are real gamers.

The original quoted post stated that "a 'difficulty' level isnt (sic) going to fix design faults." Don't confuse difficulty with design. You may be the kind of person who thinks Dark Souls is the best game ever made who also instantly uninstalled Dear Esther. A "real gamer" would be someone who could appreciate both.

I got into this argument all the time with my friends, who loved FPS and racing games but couldn't stand strategy and RPG titles. I'm the kind of guy that can enjoy Call of Duty for what it is but also love the Total War games and don't mind the difficulty of rogue-likes when I'm in the mood. A "real gamer" isn't exclusive.

Moreover, getting back to the design point, this is a game made for Alien fans and those who might want to explore the world of the movie. That's impossible at high or even moderate difficulty. If someone wants to beat the game at high difficulty and later replay to explore (as the briefing even says) then I fail to see how that makes them not a "real gamer."

I haven't played the game (yet) so I won't comment on its potential "design faults" but the point is inherently correct; if the game consistently funnels you towards specific points, it loses the open and varied game-play elements. Old school games never really attempted or claimed that so it's not really a fair comparison. Again, this game is meant for the Alien fan to explore, an impact that is diminished if it is an illusion.

News Comments > Borderlands Online Announced for China
5. Re: Borderlands Online Announced for China Dec 8, 2014, 12:50 NewMaxx

Online gaming in China and Russia is effectively a reflection of their governments, that is an hierarchical form of an oligarchy. You have the vast majority of people being F2P players while the top dogs spend lavishly on cool armor and the best weapons that the rest envy. It is therefore an extension of government, especially in China, as directly or indirectly the government is the largest provider of jobs and those who make enough to spend lavishly on games are those generally with more political clout.

Therefore, those who succeed in these games without that "reality" payday have a form of expression that isn't allowed politically. It's like a rich CEO in the US playing WoW being out-PVP'd by a 13 year old in free gear, but with even further ramifications. Someone can actually earn respect in their society from besting the richer players at their own game. This is something Western players cannot generally fathom. I have a lot of gamer friends in those two countries so I have a better (if still imperfect) understanding of it.

There's a reason F2P works so well over there and not so well over here. A large part is, again, the fact that the average person in the West has more disposable income and is used to spending a few hours' wages on some entertainment. It's a lot more costly over there to do that for the average person, but additionally they have far less political freedom, equality, and social mobility, and therefore a F2P game is a way for them to express themselves and gain respect. We tend to take these things for granted.

News Comments > Dying Light Steep Specs Revealed
15. Re: Dying Light Steep Specs Revealed Dec 4, 2014, 21:00 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 20:45:
My guess is there will be next to no fps difference between 12 and 16 gigs.

I have 2x2, 2x4, and 2x8GB available for my main system. It's been fun testing some of these recent claims from game requirements. Not only do I think you're right, I have doubts that more than 8GB will do anything, in fact 6GB has been enough for most everything in my testing. Now if I have Chrome and Firefox and Photoshop open in the background with my typical 120+ process load, different story, but if I'm on my gaming PC...there's just no way.

News Comments > Deus Ex "Dawn" Engine Revealed; DX Universe Clarified
24. Re: Deus Ex Dec 4, 2014, 20:35 NewMaxx

Translation: Assassin's Creed-like release strategy  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
17. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 4, 2014, 03:23 NewMaxx

InBlack wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 02:28:
Who gives a shit what she's dressed like??

Who gives a shit what Matt Taylor is dressed like?

News Comments > Black Friday Interviews
14. Re: Black Friday Interviews Nov 28, 2014, 19:02 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 14:10:
Or more likely, he'd be locked up in an insane asylum. 'So your dad is an invisible sky wizard and you have superpowers do you? Yeah, ok....let's start him on a Thorazine drip and some shock tratment."

One of the greatest idols of our time (for many if not most people) is Steve Jobs. Steve. Jobs. An egomaniac control freak who died because he believed in psuedo-science. If you're suggesting mankind has progressed towards calling ridiculous people insane, I'd argue it's gone the opposite direction if anything. Now they're YouTube stars, head of Tesla motors, Vice President of the United States, head of an anti-virus security firm, entertainment moguls, famous actors, etc. If anything I'd say Jesus would be ignored as downright common today...which, honestly, is not much different than he was handled even in his own time, as cults were numbered in the dozens if not the hundreds back then. He was the first hippie, almost two thousand years before "our" hippies, but nowadays being "progressive" is trendy to a fault.

News Comments > The Crew Reviews Delay
7. Re: The Crew Reviews Delay Nov 25, 2014, 11:57 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 10:36:
Wtf is going on at Ubisoft? Are they trying to put themselves out of business?

Maybe they are playing the abusive spouse, alternating between slaps to the face with the presentation of flowers. HERE'S A CRAPPY PORT WITH DRM AND A REVIEW EMBARGO! ...oh, I'm sorry gamers, here's a simultaneous PC release with free DLC. BUT YOU NEED UPLAY! ...but only for achievement logging.

News Comments > The Crew Reviews Delay
6. Re: The Crew Reviews Delay Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 NewMaxx

briktal wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 10:12:
The embargo is tied to an early copy of the game. If you don't accept that copy, then you could buy the game when it becomes available and potentially release a review before the embargo date with no issues, aside from having very little time to play the game and write the review before that date.

Correct. As previous articles have mentioned, there's a lot of pressure to get reviews out ASAP. Most reviewers are willing to toe the line. This is actually one of many issues originally targeted by GamerGate but of course now it's been swept under the rug. Personally, I believe some serious reform is needed in the gaming industry, but it's not going to come from "voting with your wallet" as a lot of people like to believe. Allowing the "free market" to present an alternative is also a false promise because advertising dollars coupled with publisher exclusives are the bottom line. The gaming industry, while perhaps ostensibly in decline on the console side, is a massive industry that sooner or later must face additional regulation.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned
19. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned Nov 22, 2014, 20:32 NewMaxx

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 20:01:
A crosshair doesn't mean jack shit, only auto-aim is really a cheat. I know because I used to play with wallhackers and skill still reigns supreme even against minor cheats minus aimbot.

Depends on the game. The example I gave in my post was Planetside 2, where a great deal of infantry/close combat is hipfire-biased (yes, biased, not based). Specifically, SMG infiltrators, most heavy assaults, shotgun builds, many carbine builds, and many assault rifle (medic) builds, as well as some Max situations. It most certainly does make a significant difference. Is it really a cheat to use a dot/overlay? Debatable.

You're right that skill is still more important, though. TTK (time-to-kill) in PS2 is ridiculous low, however. I play a SMG infiltrator (someone who really relies on hipfire) and the Armistice at 896 RPM = 15 rounds/sec, requires 8 rounds to kill on average: TTK = .54s. The fact is I'm old and have shit twitch reaction so my "skill" is tactics (teamwork, traps, maneuvering, etc.), but nevertheless one bullet can make the difference and having a dot in the middle of my screen for hipfire would often be that difference.

Literally the entire game for a SMG infiltrator is hipfire. I don't use an overlay but I did try it out before and it definitely improved my game. Main reason is that headshots do 2x damage and the ability to hipfire towards a head means that TTK of .54s goes down to ~.4s. It means more shots land so the chances of having enough bullets left to take down a 2nd target are higher (esp as that target will also take fewer bullets). I realize that my example is a SPECIFIC game, but these are very real numbers and it is commonly known and discussed among veteran players.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2014, 20:39.

12. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned Nov 22, 2014, 17:34 NewMaxx

DangerDog wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 17:05:
even if you do somehow magically detect all the cheats you still have hardware manufactures offering up cheats to sell their products.

http://www.asus.com/microsite/2013/lcd/GamingMonitors/fast.htm

ASUS VG Gaming Series monitors feature the GamePlus hotkey with crosshair overlay and timer functions. Select from four different crosshairs to suit your gaming environment, and keep track of spawn and build times with the on-screen timer.

you can program a crosshair to show up on the monitor.

There's actually a hardware device available that draws a laser dot on the screen.

http://www.amazon.com/Airdrop-Gaming-HSD-1619-HipShotDot/dp/B00GV0LR64

As I mentioned in my other post, software solutions abound (VOIP overlays).

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2014, 17:41.

10. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned Nov 22, 2014, 17:33 NewMaxx

Rossafur wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 17:01:
I remember back when people installed freakin' glow-in-the-dark skins in CS (and ridiculously easy to see models before that)...
Some games you can even completely turn off display settings for things that provide concealment like grass
People who would put a piece of tape in the center of their monitor with a reticle on it so they can shoot from the hip...

I wanted to emphasize these three because they all still go on. I played Planetside 2 pretty seriously for about six months and it was common for the "pros" to use a voice (TS/Vent/Mumble) overlay with a dot so they could hipfire. I mean, to the point that "everybody" did it. There was also some modified files that affected things like FOV I believe, the developers were/are aware of both of these but passively allow them. One of the reasons I got out of the competitive scene with that game is because you were more or less expected to do those things if you wanted to be with a good outfit. I have no doubt some fellow PS2 players will quote me and say it isn't true, well I have to say you have your head in the sand, then. One thing I DO do in the game is turn off underbrush as you suggest, because it does get in the way. But there are other settings people exploit like shadows + gamma as you also mention...

As for the skins and whatnot, when I used to play World of Tanks (again, competitively, but a long time ago), people would use custom skins to show targets on specific tank types so they knew where to aim. It was completely ridiculous. I stopped playing that game for similar reasons as to PS2, the "pros" are a bunch of cheaters or at the very least unsportsmanlike in how they play and it is to the detriment of us honorable players. I know how professional cyclists feel with all the cheating that goes on, it's very similar.

News Comments > Alienware's "PC Gaming Console"
34. Re: Alienware's Nov 22, 2014, 13:25 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 12:06:
$70 for comparable VC, which would be 550TI.

Not entirely a fair comparison as the 860M is custom. Not only is it especially compact but it is also binned to very high clocks. Bioshock Infinite, Very High, 1080P @ 55 FPS. A 650 Ti scores about 50 FPS with those settings. A 650 Ti can get upwards of +50% over a 550 Ti. The Alpha comes with the 2GB model of the 860M, which has only 5/6 (83%) of the 650's cores, meaning that the Alpha probably clocks it to (55/50) = (.833)(1020)x, clock = ~1350. That is disregarding IPC gains but the clock on the 860M is definitely up there to give these results.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: removed Nov 21, 2014, 13:30 NewMaxx

Online harassment against women is completely insane. I can't even hit up a YouTube video or an article written by a woman without seeing some seriously disturbing misogyny. You guys who know me here know I was pro-GG when it came to ethics in journalism but when it comes to online harassment, I'm firmly in the camp that believes it is out of control. I wish they wouldn't piggy-back on the GG issue but I do think it's something that has to be addressed.

An example: the other day I was browsing YouTube checking up on some news. A relatively young woman made a comment politely suggesting her stance on the issue. She was immediately flamed with comments like, "I bet you get on your knees the first date" (it was more cleverly worded than that, but you get the gist) and harassed into oblivion simply for holding an opinion and sharing it. It disgusts me.

"Thick skin" - it's easy to say when you're the gender that's been dominant since the dawn of civilization. I'm not advocating white knightism but you can't honestly tell me anything good comes out of shit like that. People need to stop behaving like animals due to the being anonymous or untouchable online. It reflects poorly on the rest of us.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
128. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:37 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:57:
I wonder what would have happened if R* had canceled multiplayer instead of delaying it?

Doesn't matter. Again, we're talking about the difference between investing and purchasing. If you invest, you have virtually 0 rights.

If you purchase, you do have some buyer protections. The two concepts are "bone fides" (good faith) and "caveat emptor" (buyer beware). It's a balance between the responsibility of the vendor and the responsibility of the consumer.

In any case, as I said earlier in this thread, in the former case (investing) you have to prove willful fraud, that is intent to deceive under malfeasance. Now if the money is already gone (spent) then most of the time the investors get f'd over. Review history on that, it's not uncommon.

In the latter case (purchasing), you generally do have a right to a refund unless explicitly denied at the time of purchase. This is why so many games come with massive EULAs - the box of games often made it clear that you agree to the EULA upon purchase, not reading, as most people believe. These EULAs rarely proved binding because, again, good faith; that is, there must have been a reasonable expectation on the part of the developer to meet its promises with no intent to deceive. It's also possible to argue negligence in some cases although that usually involves more serious damages (that is, games don't fall under that purview).

Note that there are refunds for people who pre-ordered.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2014, 17:42.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
63. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 14:27 NewMaxx

The policy makes sense to me.

People already playing the game through backing it or specifically buying access to Alpha/Beta (and thus, backing it): investing (no refund)

People who only pre-ordered: purchasing (refund)

That's pretty basic stuff there. Now, it's a shitty thing to do and their reputation is definitely damaged, but that doesn't make it a criminal offense. It would be a stretch to make a legal case and it would have to be based on the lack of good faith (bona fides), which in the case of malfeasance means intent to deceive (requiring evidence).

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
17. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 19, 2014, 06:47 NewMaxx

Asmo wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:41:
Side note, anyone running these with surround (multi monitor) and is there a workable option from switching to a single monitor via hotkey?

Multiple solutions. I've made simple .vbs scripts to do this and run them through AutoHotkey (can't live without that program) but I also have a hotkey for enabling/disabling secondary monitors in UltraMon (another great program). I tie both of these to macro keys on my keyboards and mouse for extra ease.

642 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo