Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 690 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 29, 2015, 07:31 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 13:53:
Now however, cops need a warrant to check someone's phone, per a SCOTUS case last year. The big problem is that I'm not sure that most people realize it. As I understand it, requesting a warrant to avoid a search is opt in. Meaning they can request to look at your phone without a warrant, but it's up to you to know you can refuse. Seems like it should be the other way around: "You can refuse a warrantless search of your phone, but I'm requesting to look at it anyway."

They don't need a warrant in all cases, they can also do a search if it is done during (search incident) a lawful arrest if there is probable cause that evidence exists on it pertinent to the trial. The idea is that evidence could be destroyed. If they wait until after the item is in their possession, they do require a warrant.

In this case, though, they had to ask and she had to accept (which she did). She was inebriated and probably not aware of the law...reminds one of Miranda rights. The fact is cell phones have long been on shaky legal grounds with searches and that vagueness leaves it up in the air. They had no reason to expect evidence to exist on it and of course had no right to anything that wasn't flagged as evidence.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
20. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 12:04 NewMaxx

I frequent a lot of European gaming forums and these guys really do go to great lengths to get the best deals on keys. It reminds me a bit of the drug business where people try to get back alley deals on certain strains they want at even a small discount. For every five guys that get what they want, there's a sixth who gets "beat" for his money. This is that case. For those saying these are Ubisoft customers, well see that's my point. If I usually get my buds from Maddog but try Shady Lopez for a small discount, and it turns out Shady Lopez paid Maddog for bulk in counterfeit cash, I'm not Maddog's customer I'm Shady Lopez's customer because THE ONLY PERSON WHO GOT REAL MONEY is Shady Lopez.

Legally, at best you could say they had the intention of becoming Ubisoft customers, which does protect them from liability. If they intended to buy legal keys with legal funds from what they perceived is a legal source, they are within their lawful rights. That's not relevant, though. Stolen property or counterfeit property is always confiscated by the authorities without any compensation.

News Comments > Dying Light Dawns
27. Re: Dying Light Dawns Jan 27, 2015, 18:20 NewMaxx

SLI is working fine with the profile released today (requires the geforce experience 2.2.2 or whatever), biggest issues seem to be view distance and textures. Must be a VRAM optimization issue.  

News Comments > Dying Light Dawns
22. Re: Dying Light Dawns Jan 27, 2015, 16:49 NewMaxx

Running 2xGTX 760, 1080P, max view distance and settings except for medium on shadows, depth of field and motion blur off (don't like those effects in any game), v-sync on. Uses 55-60% of my GPUs indoors, 70-80% outdoors, according to Afterburner. Driver 347.25. It doesn't feel like it performs well, though...inconsistent framerate/stuttering.

*edit* new SLI profile as of today, gonna try it and report back

*reporting back* Not GPU limited at all, tried various settings...performance issues are something else.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2015, 17:20.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2015, 02:32 NewMaxx

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 22:45:
The reason this planned functionality took so long to be discovered, is like 98% of people don't even use all 4GB of VRAM. As already mentioned, you shouldn't be playing games in 4K with a single 970 anyway because your performance is going to be barely acceptable at best, regardless of that gimped 512MB.

Pretty much. Like wattage for a PSU, people vastly overestimate how much VRAM they need. I have 2 massively overclocked GTX 760s in SLI with only 2GB (memory in SLI is duplicated) and at any setting in Shadow of Mordor where I ran into memory issues, there was either practically 0 real texture difference or a situation where my cores couldn't keep up, anyway. I play for 60+ FPS. Assassin's Creed: Unity would hitch on anything but the lowest...unless I started on the lowest and then put on max (and put back to lowest before exiting). Suddenly I'm on max settings at 1080P with 60+ FPS with only 2GB of VRAM. It's largely marketing.

That being said, I would probably be upset if I had purchased dual 970s for SLI, which I considered doing. You would probably be fine with 4GB but you'd be pushing it close enough that the difference between 3.5GB and 4GB might actually force you to compromise. Those people probably would be justified in wanting a refund, but you can't offer it to some people and not others...really, Nvidia should know better because 2x970 is very compelling.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record
18. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 19:33 NewMaxx

Hump wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 17:22:
Which is a good explanation for an MMO, which is what it is. If the game were simplistic like CoD, BF series etc. it would have a shelf life of less than 6 months. That depth is what keeps the game fresh. Go play some Sunday when there are usually good chains of command in place, the battles are epic. I can still remember battles from the original game that are still vivid in my memory.

I think to most people MMO means "grindfest." Those first 100 hours are more like suicide bomber training, though, if I remember correctly!

I wasn't criticizing the game. I love it. I was just answering the guy's question honestly: if you can't devote time to explore and appreciate the depth of the game, don't bother. You're right that other MMOs are involved but on the other hand I can level to max in WoW in a week soooo, yeah.

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 19:28 NewMaxx

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 15:46:
So pretty much my crash course on Planetside 2:

-Vehicles Tanks usually don't cap bases.
-Sniper never cap bases or responsible for a good defense. Pretty much infil-shitters are only good for recon dongles and SMGs.
-Use REDEPLOY all the time, never foot zerg into another base.
If no redeploy to next base, PULL A SUNDERER AND MAKE ONE.
-Sunderers and Galaxies are always needed.
-Medic and Engineer are great ways to get lots of XP early for certs.
-Look up which guns give you a more speed while AIM DOWN SIGHTS.
-Always double up on MAX guns, so two anti-infantry guns, two anti-tank, Two anti-air. Never mix them since you're killing your effectiveness.

Yeah, tanks farm. I mostly use my trusty Lightning to break out or flank/support. It's got the speed and versatility to be great squad support.

I actually play infiltrator more than anything now that I'm skilled. I'm not the type to just snipe or lolsmg, actually I specialize at defense (my defense stats in the game are extremely high for my rank) and squad support/recon. I'm very often the first guy in a base but I don't cap, I just observe and communicate.

Yep, abuse redeploy, and get those sunderers out there!

Engineer is the most useful class but I find people run it too much because they repair their own vehicles, a tactic I'm not fond of really. Medics tend to have a low KDR but it's a great all-around class and a good way to learn by watching.

Some people hipfire, some people ADS (aim down sights). .75x multiplier for the latter helps a lot. Depends on your style. I'm not as fast as I used to be twitch-wise but I have fantastic tactics and awareness so I tend to ADS before they know where I am.

The Max takes a lot of investment. Very much worth it, though. Dual bursters are a lot of fun.

I would also add: have many different layouts for each class and memorize their numbers. You should be able to jump to a console and switch to the role needed without a second thought, often multiple times in a short period of time.

7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 14:51 NewMaxx

Parias wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:58:
Can you explain in more detail? I haven't played the game all that much and was thinking of getting back into it, so I'm curious what exactly you mean.

It's a great game but it takes a lot of dedication. You really need to put in over 100 hours before you get good enough to know the ins and outs and nuances. It's definitely a lot easier to play in a clan as they will bring you under their wing and get you directly into the action. Solo players (like myself) have to know the game very well to know where to be and when.

6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 14:49 NewMaxx

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:42:
Poor SOE while they might have had that many people fighting on the server anyone that plays planetside 2 knows the battles are very spread out over a large area. Battles in Eve are far more intensive.

Some of the better-designed areas get some amazing battles that you just can't get anywhere else in a FPS, IMHO. They are constantly redesigning the bases with community feedback to make for better battles. For people not involved or into that process it can seem otherwise, though.

5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 14:45 NewMaxx

Wildone wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:34:
This game flat out SUCKS. Unless your in a clan and play 12 hrs a day. Otherwise, forget about it.

I play entirely by myself and always have. Been out of the game for a while but I did just fine. I don't have that many hours in it really, maybe 600 in over two years.

My player ID:
https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428130184559952849

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Announced
19. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 21:12 NewMaxx

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 16:14:
Wasteland 2 was a letdown? I thought it was great.

I just started playing it (already to level 21) as I was waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out and I think it's pretty true to the original in many ways. Not perfect, but definitely better than mediocre. If they can improve on it then they have my interest for other games.

18. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 21:05 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 19:10:
Once he mentioned Hearth Stone, This game became doomed.

He's talking about two concepts: emergent gameplay, and the metagame. Emergent gameplay is when simple elements and mechanics lead to very complex possibilities when manipulated in tandem. The metagame is effectively gaming the system by using nuances of these mechanics in unexpected ways while keeping up with developing strategies. High level play in things like Hearthstone and MOBAs is actually pretty complicated.

I agree that his example isn't the best. A better one would be something like Magicka.

17. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 21:00 NewMaxx

Sc4r wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 14:52:
I only played the 1st bards tale and loved playing it, not sure y i didnt play the other ones.Anyways, i wonder how the combat system will b, unlike wasteland 2 where it was whoever had the highest Awareness on either side would get to fight 1st? If i remember correctly in bards tale 1 u usually got to fight 1st unless the enemy surprised you.

From the IGN article,

"'Traditional turn-based combat,' as Fargo calls it, bases turns on varying factors, creating battles in which different characters attacked at different times, often alternating between opposing sides. But in The Bard's Tale IV, teams attack all at once."

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Dropping Subscriptions in March
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Going F2P in March Jan 21, 2015, 14:27 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 12:05:
There you go, one year later and F2P.

When I played in beta right before launch I posted on this site that the game felt like it was a year away from being finished. Looks like I was right. I still pre-ordered and posted here that I thought releasing the PC version so far separate from the console version was a mistake that would cost them their subscription model (more or less); seems I was right. They simply pushed the game too soon. It cost them because they had too many resources devoted to the console version when the community was still clamoring for fixes on the PC release (a fact I also pointed out on Blue's).

Releasing a buggy game on the PC with a subscription model is one thing. Releasing that same game and then taking over half the team a year to finish the console version is just outright negligence. I predicted on here also that if the console version wasn't ready within six months (early holidays 2014) it would have to go B2P or F2P. So, yeah, all of this was pretty evident and they still let it happen. I played for a few months but when it became clear it was headed in this direction I just hung it up and waited.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Starships Announced
13. Re: Sid Meier's Starships Announced Jan 19, 2015, 13:51 NewMaxx

Reminds me of Civilization: Beyond the Sword, with the mod Final Frontier.

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Frontier

The name indicates it's more oriented on spacecraft, though.

News Comments > H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology
27. Re: H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology Jan 17, 2015, 20:18 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 19:27:
Not speaking to anyone in particular here. Just in general. But yeah, if they want to gamble. Who really cares?

Well I played MWO for a while and (correct me if I'm wrong) you can spend real money on things like artillery strikes and whatnot that can technically be avoided. World of Tanks has stuff like golden ammo or whatever and technically that doesn't help much if you're a terrible shot or a terrible player tactically. I play a lot of Planetside 2 and most of my money is spent on side-grade weapons and aesthetics, the most valuable thing was probably an actual membership which sped up the grind. World of Tanks was similar...speeding up the grind is by far the best use of your money. A hell of a lot of F2P games let you spend money on keys and such that open lockboxes and that's entirely a gamble. I guess what I'm saying is, it's not a black and white question, there are many factors to consider and having the airdrop be a gamble makes for more interesting gameplay and thus a potentially good way to handle a lockbox-like system. I understand that this game is unique from the rest in some ways, too, yet another variable to consider.

News Comments > CITIES XXL Trailer; Preorders; Discounts
10. Re: CITIES XXL Trailer; Preorders; Discounts Jan 17, 2015, 07:22 NewMaxx

Slick wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 14:56:
and there's even a precedent *kinda*, simcopter, and streets of simcity, in both you could import your city and then race/fly through it. it was really incredible, and a feature that has all but been forgotten in this age.

SimCity + Flight Simulator...maybe one day.

News Comments > H1Z1 Refunds
28. Re: H1Z1 Refunds Jan 17, 2015, 03:52 NewMaxx

Tom wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 21:14:
Last time I fired up Rust my mouse stopped working after a few minutes of "playing". I terminated Rust using the keyboard alone. The mouse still wouldn't function until I rebooted. True story.

Reminds me of Planetside 2 (coincidental to this thread is a SOE game) which, to this day, will still randomly completely shut down my computer. I don't mean reboot, I mean full-out turned off with no fans moving. We're talking on a machine that can do night-loops of Memtest, Prime95, Unigine Valley/3DMark, etc. It only happens once every 100+ hours of play but it does happen, and did happen the first time logging in after their last update, in the VR room and not even a populated area within 60 seconds of loading it up. I still spent probably $150 on that game so clearly I can live with it.

News Comments > MS: Windows 10 "Best" OS Ever Created for Gamers
59. Re: MS: Windows 10 Jan 16, 2015, 16:40 NewMaxx

Slick wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 14:52:
other than vista and 2000/ME, i can't really think of any version of the OS that didn't improve over previous versions.

Huh?

2000 and ME are completely different entities and actually 2000 was successful in the enterprise, not to mention Microsoft built XP on NT once ME failed largely due to the success of 2000. Also, Vista was a large improvement over the previous version of the OS (XP), although XP was good after SP2. Vista came out a while before XP SP3, though, plus it had most of the improvements Windows 7 would eventually have. Actually, Windows 7 hid or removed some of the power user options available in Vista, to the point most power users stuck with Vista until Windows 7 SP1. As a normal user maybe you liked having a cartoon dog fetch files for you long-hand but some of us enjoyed Powershell, Windows Indexing, etc...

As far as Windows 8 goes, bleh. I do enjoy 8.1...on my Windows tablet/convertible. I wouldn't use it on a main PC unless I had to, which I would only do for gaming. That is unfortunately becoming a reality - some games explicitly run better on Windows 8/8.1 - but Windows 10 looks to be a lot better. It'll be more like Windows 8.1 with a SP and fixes Windows 8 should have had from the get go, so it might be good out of the gate and not require a SP before migration. Even 8.1 as it is now might be passable...I'll probably wait for 10 for my main machine, though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2015, 14:59 NewMaxx

ComboFix should only be used on an x86 install, never x64, and under any OS newer than XP you MUST run it in administrator mode. Keep in mind that things like this that use command prompt are best run manually through an elevated command prompt (look up how to do that).

Standard operating procedure is as follows:
1) Have the newest MBAM ready on a portable device to install, make sure to have newest Flash and Java as well; do not have it pre-installed as many viruses will corrupt or disable it if you do, and most common trojans come from vulnerabilities in one of those two
2) Boot to KAV (Kaspersky) Rescue Disk, update if possible (it has most ethernet drivers built-in), run comprehensive sweep and clean
3) Boot to safe mode without networking and install then run MBAM, again a full comprehensive sweep clean; this is because the most common form of a trojan comes with a downloader

This will handle most things including most rootkits, there are only a handful of specific viruses that will get around this procedure. There are also scenarios where a new OS such as Windows 8/8.1, which has secure boot, can complicate your efforts. Make sure to enable legacy mode (disable secure boot) before following this procedure if you use those OS.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2015, 09:41.

690 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo