Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 852 (Graduate)
User ID 41686
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2015, 20:51 NewMaxx
3.5GB is plenty for a 970, unless you're running SLI. I run two 760s at 2GB and I play at 1080p with great success. AMD cards especially have fantastic memory design with tons of bandwidth and generally more memory. Yet you have the 2GB, 128-bit width GTX 960 which is just a fantastic card. VRAM is massively overrated and always has been. It's all about profit margins.

With modern games like Armored Warfare (CryEngine), I come in at 74% memory usage (again, 2GB) at 1080p with everything at ultra. That's about 1.5GB with cards that manage >970 performance. Generally this means 60 FPS at 60-80% GPU usage which is the sweet spot for me. If my intention was 1440p and 120 FPS/Hz, sure, 3.5GB might be limiting, but that level of performance is beyond a single 970.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2015, 20:58.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2015, 17:11 NewMaxx
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 14:31:
Welp, the article proved that more RAM is in fact sometimes detrimental to performance.

I studied memory design in college for my computer engineering degree. Specifically, cache optimization. What you find is that having more cache after a certain point is detrimental to performance. The amount of money Intel has spent on determining the right amount for their CPUs would probably surprise a lot of people. The best example of this concept is the first rendition of WEI, where chips with smaller caches actually performed better because the randomized nature of the test meant that anything that was cached was useless; caching more, and searching through that larger cache, reduced your score.

RAM in a modern operating system is essentially between a HDD (or SSD) and the CPU caches in performance. A typical system has more than enough RAM so you get a lot used as system cache by the OS. This often improves performance for consistent or predictable workflows. I mentioned above that the WEI test scored worse because it was intentionally randomized; the same thing applies here. If a game is coded such that from the system's perspective, every memory request is unique, having more RAM will actually reduce performance. It's not rocket science, it's just poor programming.

Additionally applying these concepts to a multi-threaded scenario means you will have some cores or core threads waiting longer for results because they are unique. This reduces parallel performance and in fact might lead to CPU-limited environments where there shouldn't be such a thing. A good example of that in a modern engine would probably be the CryEngine. Armored Warfare's Object Detail setting is entirely CPU-limited largely because it has redundant calls for objects that are treated as novel. It's a huge trade-off but it illustrates how engine design is geared towards specific (console) devices.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2015, 17:18.
News Comments > Hideo Kojima's Konami Exit
17. Re: Hideo Kojima's Konami Exit Oct 20, 2015, 06:49 NewMaxx
edaciousx wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 20:58:
They get moved to a position they hate and hope that they will let themselves out, kind of like what happened with Kojima.

Actually a pretty common policy in Japan.
News Comments > GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First?
41. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 17:24 NewMaxx
shihonage wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 16:44:
We live in an age where operating systems become smorgasborgs occupying gigabytes of memory for no reason, where printer drivers are hundreds of megabytes, and where videocard companies push their crapware onto the customer.

Hey NVidia, shadowplay sounds great. How about putting it into your already extensive and feature-rich NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL, you buttholes? No?

Well, fuck you then.

ROFL! Awesome.

It's called memory creep. When memory outpaces software - and keep in mind that in the old glory days of gaming it was the opposite situation - developers get lazy. It's been a huge problem in javascript programming for years now. I'll admit that's a different thing because of how the language works with its dump/heap mechanics, but one could argue the language got popular in response to this situation.

With Windows and proper design, extra memory is used as cache to speed up overall performance by predicting what you'll require. People often decry this as wasting memory, others say it's good. The reality is your CPU already does this with multiple layers of cache. Then it does it again with RAM. The OS is just another layer on top of that which is better aware of your actual usage. A large, and I mean large part of CPU design is based around branch prediction and the best use of cache. Source: designed it before

My point is, memory as we know it - RAM - is so ridiculously cheap for its size and performance relative to software needs that programmers don't even consider it in the vast majority of cases. That being said, you're absolutely correct. It's just that it's no longer a priority to the eggheads.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2015, 17:29.
News Comments > Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up
26. Re: Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up Oct 2, 2015, 13:04 NewMaxx
Couldn't help myself, read some of the anonymous comments. It's ridiculous to me because half of that stuff happens to EVERYBODY who works in programming in the gaming business. Seriously. You're overworked, you're treated like expendable shit, and that's pretty much the way of it. It really sounds like some people got excited and went to work for the company and then realized it isn't a liberal arts painting weekend but 80+ hour grind weeks where you sleep in the office...because that's WHAT IT IS.

I could care less about this game or this particular shit-throwing contest (outside of the journalistic integrity part) but seriously, I see "a Game of Thrones" type management? ROFL. Welcome to a majority of the studios in development today. I'm just giving my insight based on experience in the industry and what I read is nothing new to me, it's the same shit I've read from people who couldn't hack it in the industry and got canned because they don't realize the ridiculous demands it has on people's lives.

Really. It ruins your social life. It breaks up marriages. There's a reason the turnover rate is ridiculously high. If you're not passionate and willing to work yourself to the bone for an asshole of a boss, then DON'T TAKE THE JOB. You signed up for it, don't come back later and anonymously be a bitch about it because you got in over your head.

(P.S. I previously made a post about the voice actors union thing where I said for this industry - gaming - they need to get one for the programmers and essential components first, and THIS IS WHY)

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2015, 13:11.
News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
54. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 24, 2015, 03:04 NewMaxx
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 23:22:
Are you serious? The ONLY decent voice work done in STO is by Worf, Tuvok and Leeta. Whoever was the voice coach and writer for the rest of the Trek cast needs to be shot and fired. It is CRINGE WORTHY.

I mentioned Kurland by name. Kurland here! Absolutely awful. Still, the point stands, he can't (terribly) reprise his role.
49. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 18:08 NewMaxx
Kosumo wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 18:02:
From a gamer point of view - I'm against it due to it then making the deep discounting of games less likely if they have to pay redudals (a cut) on every copy sold.

Allow me to offer a recent, real world example of what happens with things like this.

I'm an avid Star Trek Online player and I know many people here also enjoy the game. In the past we've enjoyed voice work done by many of the original Star Trek actors but we also had random people and game staff doing lesser voices for the game. The most notable example is, of course, Kurland, but there are many others.

Well STO's parent company, Perfect World Entertainment, has decided to go with SAG. This makes it impossible for Kurland's voice actor to reprise his role. It also raises the general rate (cost) for voice actor work, reducing the amount of star voice actors returning to reprise their roles. The game community has of course not responded positively to this and it has had at least some impact on the game.

I'm not pushing this forward as an argument in one direction or another but rather pointing out what this may mean for less popular games and the industry as a whole.
47. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 17:31 NewMaxx
The problem I have with the whole idea, at least from the standpoint of the gaming industry, is that you have so many jobs that are really in a deplorable state. Programmers, artists, writers, even musicians have terrible hours and a ridiculous turnover rate. I used to work in the industry and maintain friends still in it and they all say the same thing. Yet you end up getting unions not with the vital components of the industry but with the ones that are peripheral at best. Essentially what I'm saying is that I'm not against the idea of unions in the industry so much as against the fact they're always misapplied.

Anyone who has worked in programming will tell you just how overworked they are, and how they are treated as fungible assets to be dispensed of once work is complete. The demands on a programmer are often vague and may expand to cover other areas. That is pretty much the definition of stress in the workplace. Voice actors come in after the script is ready, read off the lines on a schedule, and go home. Certainly that makes it easier to form a union but that's also the job least requiring it; it is this irony, or contradiction if you prefer, that makes this so absurd. It's like giving guns to the militia before the army.

That's not even getting into matters of corruption and rampant patronage. Just read about the old guild systems found in late Medieval and Renaissance Italian city-states and you will see why the arts today cling so tightly to unions, and also how they really work.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2015, 17:37.
43. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 17:11 NewMaxx
jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 13:56:
Don't forget about Ellen McClain and Jennifer Hale!

Jennifer Hale already supports it.
18. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 11:45 NewMaxx
Wil Wheaton supports it, enough said.  
News Comments > Indie Piñatas
16. Re: Indie Piñatas Sep 13, 2015, 08:04 NewMaxx
Bub wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 07:33:
Gambling has found the digital generations sucker play.

It seems like every online game now has this cheesy form of gambling in the cash shops. They go by different names, Packs, Mystery Boxes, etc. You pay cash for an package containing one or several items, with a very small chance it might be something of value.

This really needs to be regulated.

You're exactly right. It is out of hand. Regulation should, and will come...many people are fine with the rudimentary descriptions of commerce and are willing to fund it, though.
News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Headstart Begins
3. Re: Sword Coast Legends Headstart Begins Sep 11, 2015, 20:53 NewMaxx
Keep us apprised, Darks! I have hopes for this one.  
News Comments > The Witcher III Cost $81M
14. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 10, 2015, 02:06 NewMaxx
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 9, 2015, 20:22:
Only $62.5 million so far(in profit)? Wow that's depressing. I thought that game sold way more.

The numbers are deceptive. We see that marketing and development was $81 so that implies a total revenue of about $143 million. However, that ignores many of the costs of the product. Publishing costs money and even though they self-published (GOG) much of their sales, that isn't free (staff, hardware, etc). Naturally a lot went to Valve and other middle men vendors. In other words, you can't look at it even as $143 million / $60 but rather more like $143 million / (40% of $60), which would be 6 million copies.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: i took some acid and did a study Sep 7, 2015, 18:09 NewMaxx
Instead of adding salt you can add salt substitute, which is potassium chloride. It's not as strong a mouth taste as salt but it's far better for you. In fact, heart patients and stroke victims are usually given potassium chloride pills as medication. It's important not to take too much as it will stop your heart - it is sometimes used in lethal injections - but replacing one's table salt intake with even 50% more of it (to equal the taste) is a good idea. I regularly do it.  
News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 12:45 NewMaxx
Timmeh wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 12:16:
you know what I got from that video?

Light is just not that fast. It only seems fast to us. I think at some point we are going to discover a whole new natural paradigm. The speed of light limit is just an illusion we are currently stuck in by our current limitations.

I wonder who the Einstein will be that will break this thing wide open and how far off is it?

It's important to note that due to time dilation, photons perceive no passage at time at all. So, really, at very high velocities it wouldn't feel like it was taking you a long time to get from one place to another. A lot can happen in that time frame of course but honestly our concept of time frames is at least partially to blame. Taking 10,000 years to travel (in what feels like almost nothing to us) is negligible on a galactic scale.

It's not really possible to exceed that speed limit in traditional terms as it would violate special relativity. Instead, it's more likely we would find a way around space. Many ideas are suggested for that, mainly ones involving changing the medium or using other tricks to shorten the distance rather than go faster. Personally (I have a degree in physics FYI) I believe the dark matter and energy existing between galaxies will likely provide us a solution, and traveling locally or to the edge of our galaxy won't be a big deal at near-light speeds once we shrug off our mortal frames. Again, even 10,000 years is nothing.

Keep in mind we'll still have the issue of information transfer which likely is a consequence of relativity because, theoretically, information could take the place of matter. Our understanding of black holes and other singularities is insufficient to know whether or not we could utilize them to bypass this limitation. Information theory is strongly linked to singularities for a variety of reasons but that is simplifying the issue.

How far off? A long time. I personally believe we'll be effectively artificial by that point and the problems that plague mankind today will simply no longer exist. One reason I suspect we haven't had alien contact is because any sufficiently evolved species will likely also be artificial and well beyond such concerns, keeping in mind an advanced life-form is much more interested in resource-heavy planets than ones that can support life.
News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in February
13. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in February Aug 31, 2015, 13:40 NewMaxx
Dagnamit wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 12:52:
"We’re thrilled to announce Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will launch February 23rd March 29th April 12th, 2016!"

Exactly. This is a Q2 game if I've ever seen one.
News Comments > "Do or Die" for Frozenbyte
2. Re: Aug 27, 2015, 10:17 NewMaxx
I love the games they make but I'm confused as to how a budget three times what Trine 2 had has somehow left them with a half-assed game and a "do or die" scenario. They really needed a budget almost ten times larger to be successful with Trine 3? Sounds like complete mismanagement by every metric that matters. I'm happy to hear facts to the contrary, maybe I'm missing something?  
News Comments > Dying Light Demo
9. Re: Dying Light Demo Aug 26, 2015, 16:29 NewMaxx
Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 16:09:
Ima try it but I think I'm just not down with the zombie games. We'll see.

I hate zombies and zombie games. I absolutely LOVED Dying Light. There is a caveat, though...PLAY WITH FRIENDS. This game is only so-so solo, but with a friend or two it is a blast.

I beat the game with my cousin in about 56 hours. I'm about to play through it again starting over with a friend, it's that good. My cousin put it best when he explains why he loves it...there's "imprinted moments" that you rarely get with gaming. There's a half dozen or more moments I remember with perfect clarity. We came up with our own "language," dozens of terms to describe situations quickly to each other. We'd work as a team to scout, corner, trick the "coneheads" (our nickname for volatiles). Best coop experience I've had in years...
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Why Nobody Should Ever Search The Ashley Madison Data. Aug 26, 2015, 09:45 NewMaxx
Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 09:12:
Is his a satire article? Am I that old that I completely missed it? In my defense, if it is a joke, it's a very poorly written one and the author should probably find another career.

It's The Register. They're about as close to trolling as IT journalism gets. A lot of their opinion pieces tend to drip with satire, yes...
852 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo