Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 713 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed
14. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 1, 2015, 17:39 NewMaxx

Tom wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 15:25:
Hopefully this space won't end up focused on the mobile experience too much to the detriment of PC-based products.

Hate to be that guy, but...that's pretty much inevitable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
73. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 06:54 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 22:21:
- Avoid the Smurfette principle (don't have just one female character in an ensemble cast, let alone one whose personality is more or less "girl" or "woman.")
- "Lingerie is not armor" (Dress female characters as something other than sex objects.)
- Have female characters of various body types
- Don't over-emphasize female characters' rear ends, not any more than you would the average male character's.
- Include more female characters of color.
- Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.
- Record female character voiceover so that pain sounds painful, not orgasmic
- Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies

Hmm, cool. I shouldn't but...I can try this, too.

- I'm tired of the Sausage Fest that is gaming
- Why do all the guys have to have great abs and can carry 500 pounds?
- Body types would be nice but then Michelle Obama would be saying we're idolizing poor eating habits or some BS
- Have you ever SEEN Shephard's male read-end?
- Having some proportionality realistic to life would be nice...I mean I just expect LBGT characters all over the damn place these days which to be honest gets kind of annoying
(I have no problem with it, it's just overdone and over-stereotyped to the point of mocking its own agenda)
- Animation in general is overstated and ridiculous...it's true of any artistic medium, it's true of goddamn commercials on TV
(which is ironic since we have a lot of games with motion capture and like The Loudness Wars or SweetFX, people prefer "fake" more)
- I'd settle for voice-overs that didn't sound like Hercules passing a kidney stone myself
- There are tons of games with NO females enemies...yes, you have include but don't over-sexualize...I guess we should make them big ugly trolls we smash with boulders
(and let's be fair, violence against women is a hot-button topic no matter how you shake it)

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2015, 07:00.

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
53. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 26, 2015, 20:27 NewMaxx

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 19:40:
Kind of weird to see the difference of opinions on here and elsewhere. I would have figured this to be a resounding victory but it seems a lot of comments here treat this as 'bad' or 'meh' at best.

It's actually a pretty complicated issue that most people don't fully understand. There have been legal proceedings behind it and related issues going on for years now, lots of money changing hands. Anybody who has followed Google's action in that domain and especially their strategy in the broadband and wireless markets/spectrum is aware that there's a lot more at play. It's easy to get behind the idea of "equal" and anything that pisses off corporate America but it would be very naive to think there aren't just as many companies benefiting from this outcome.

As just one example of decisions that grew out of the debate, Comcast acquiring NBC is a good one. Google put pressure on many wireless providers over a spectrum sale which basically weakened the ISP's position versus content creator and providers, so Comcast had to get in on the content side to maintain a competitive edge. That weakening led directly to net neutrality, so in effect Google was maneuvering for it well before they came out publicly in support. Now I know people used to like Google's "do no evil" mantra but in the years since they started making that subtle push they have gotten a lot of people nervous about spying, etc.

So in effect net neutrality has support from the NSA indirectly and...yeah, people don't think about these things, they just scream, "stick it to the MAN!" Mind you I'm just revealing one small part of the debate as an example of how powerful people want you to believe one thing while they're doing another, beyond the obvious Republican-backed right-wing conspiracies, that is.

News Comments > DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing?
21. Re: DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing? Feb 25, 2015, 13:04 NewMaxx

It was always possible to do this with certain motherboards and you could even fake drivers in some cases. Performance isn't fantastic as it's basically AFR at the slowest card's speed (similar to a RAID) but you generally get at least 60% out of them. Been capable for many, many years now so this is just a formality, like audio driver modding I guess most people aren't aware you can get a lot more out of a strange system if you know where to look.  

News Comments > etc.
24. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2015, 13:56 NewMaxx

Beamer wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 11:11:
How do you show examples of something without picking examples of it? If I want to show a bunch of cubist paintings and I show only cubist paintings am I cherry picking because I'm not also showing other paintings?

Uuuuh...if you're arguing that the cubist paintings are somehow deviant or worse than other paintings, then yes...only showing one type of painting is cherry-picking. Pretty much the definition of it as you're excluding data that is contrary to your hypothesis. For example, Grand Theft Auto is misogynistic because I can use a hooker and then run her over with my car. What, you mean you don't have to do that? There's 100 other things I can do that aren't misogynistic? There are other games where I can't run hookers over with my car? Whoa, whoa, whoa...the game is ultra-violent all around? It relies on a variety of tropes and even makes fun of them tongue-in-cheek!? What madness is this data that clearly makes my argument seem trivial! Let's just focus on the hooker part. It's not cherry-picking, it's just "focused."

News Comments > Steam Top 10
33. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 21:50 NewMaxx

There are plenty of games where co-op against bots is a blast...AI War: Fleet Command comes to mind. Really great game.  

News Comments > Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Released
4. Re: Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Released Feb 20, 2015, 23:26 NewMaxx

Backed it. NICE!  

News Comments > Matthew Higby Leaves Daybreak/PlanetSide 2
10. Re: Matthew Higby Leaves Daybreak/PlanetSide 2 Feb 14, 2015, 06:00 NewMaxx

Wraith wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 05:20:
Ummm... who? This is kind of bottom of the barrel for news, isn't it?

higby pls

News Comments > D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year
23. Re: D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year Feb 13, 2015, 02:17 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 01:52:
D:OS has TONS of combat / out of combat issues because of their weird obsession with turn based step by step combat. Combat RT with pause, based on DnD (So you still have rounds) is far superior.

I wouldn't go so far as to say far superior but D:OS definitely had its issues as many turn-based RPGs do, but of course real-time has its drawbacks. I am definitely a fan of real-time with pause but I think the issue has always been with the ruleset, or more with the concept of probability. D:OS suffers from this, too, of course, as does WL2, but you are given the odds. In most cases D&D/AD&D only gives you feedback in logs when you specifically enable it. Everybody remembers miss, miss, miss, CRITICAL! in Golden Box games as well as BG, NWN, etc., especially at lower levels. Turn-based allows you to give tactical odds/feedback while real-time makes more sense with hit detection mechanics.

News Comments > D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year
19. Re: D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year Feb 13, 2015, 01:20 NewMaxx

I'll be brutally honest.

It definitely reminds of NWN2, specifically Storm of Zehir. I'm pretty sure everybody agrees the original storyline plus Mask of the Betrayer was the best single-player experience. So, right off the bat, I'm already thinking they're going for multi-player. Which isn't a bad thing, the first NWN had some amazing multi-player when you added in the toolkit and all that. I'll be honest and say I never beat the first game solo...it just felt like a multi-player game to me, and this feels similar. So maybe a bit of NWN (original) + NWN2's Storm of Zehir.

Definitely some influences from Dragon Age, too, but if they follow the ruleset I'm less concerned about that. DA is about characters and storyline and while D&D has had some good stuff, it's not really on that level. It's more about combat and brutal living. Bioware had some of that in its earlier days...with its D&D-inspired games...but later on and with Dragon Age (past maybe the first one), no. Reminds me a lot of the Final Fantasy series in that way, it starts becoming a bit of a caricature, but I digress: this will be more gritty, less friendly, and probably centered at MMO and MOBA crowds as well as the table-top grognards.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
13. Re: Ubisoft Financials Feb 13, 2015, 01:12 NewMaxx

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 19:56:
"It's the BEST! (of this genre and released in this arbitrary period of time that does not even specify to have included any other releases)"

Guaranteed to be the BEST movie you'll never see! ...wait a minute, how does that...

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
12. Re: Ubisoft Financials Feb 13, 2015, 01:09 NewMaxx

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 18:00:
You have to understand kids dont' understand they are getting shit.

I have to admit I bought a lot of bad games between the ages of 6 and 16. Perhaps the greatest example is Road Runner's Death Valley Rally. They made shit back then, they make shit now. I'd actually say the average quality of games has gone up over time, in general...the problem is so have my expectations. Also, it's inevitable that they will cater to a larger audience, so you have to take that out of the equation. I'm sure there's a team out there that could make the perfect game for me but they'd lose a lot of money on it.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 10, 2015, 12:30 NewMaxx

I just have to say it...I'm sorry. The guy from the Oatmeal is a pretentious, liberal shit. Yeah, I find his cat comics funny and he's amusing at times, but the dude isn't God's gift to mankind. I mean for example he praises Tesla to the ends of the Earth...yeah, Tesla got shafted and overlooked. Guess what? Tesla was a douchebag in real life. No mention of that. Nope, guy is a saint! Let's build a giant museum to him because he's THE MOST IMPORTANT SCIENTIST IN HISTORY!

Whatever. The dude is just as self-righteous as any conservative but gets props because he takes controversial stances. Wake me up when he stops using the same old knee-jerk comics to get reactions from people...it's old, get over it.

News Comments > Diablo III Cheaters Banned
10. Re: Diablo III Cheaters Banned Feb 10, 2015, 12:12 NewMaxx

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 11:57:
What was he doing?

Isboxing mostly with bots, not long after release I was at his place and watched him run four bots at once that automatically got and sold gear on a consistent basis. He actually makes a living off such tactics in various games in a 250k house, no job.

Anyway, I know he was hit by this because he told me...outright said he's going to GD.

News Comments > Diablo III Cheaters Banned
6. Re: Diablo III Cheaters Banned Feb 10, 2015, 11:49 NewMaxx

Tim Collins wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 11:13:
Word from the wise....unless your coke'd up or on Adderal don't bother seriously competing in video games.

Only play video games to have fun...word from the wise.

One of my friends was part of this ban. Saw him get away with it since launch. It really killed my love of gaming and totally turned me off of Diablo 3 and many other games.

He is planning on going to Grim Dawn.

News Comments > Shadow Realms Cancelled
13. Re: Shadow Realms Cancelled Feb 10, 2015, 02:17 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 23:14:
Helicopter Pilot: Welcome to Itchy and Scratchyland, where nothing can possib-lie go wrong. Uh, possibLY go wrong. Huh, that's the first thing that's ever gone wrong.

Nice, nice. Good quote.

Bioware will spin the idea, but this incarnation is dead. As it should be. Discernment is a characteristic of a maturing studio. Bringing a new concept to market is one thing, bringing that same idea with competition and being late to the party is quite another. Bioware can't afford that kind of reputation...taking a cue from Blizzard-Activision (Titan).

News Comments > Universal Combat CE Free on Steam
39. Re: Universal Combat CE Free on Steam Feb 9, 2015, 18:19 NewMaxx

yuastnav wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 16:11:
So why does he feel the need to pretend he has a PhD? I never understood that part. Everyone knows he doesn't have one so why fake it?

Because he's an epic troll. It's a sickness! I noticed some people here on Blue's News aren't much better.

News Comments > Universal Combat CE Free on Steam
18. Re: Universal Combat CE Free on Steam Feb 9, 2015, 14:54 NewMaxx

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 10:30:
Smart always sounded to me like the worst kind of jackass. But the jackass is doing a nice thing here.

So, thanks. Jackass.

If you really talk to the guy about it, he admits that it's an online persona of sorts. He feels the need to project that personality because his origins in the gaming scene kind of demand it. It's difficult to explain if you're not an old school gamer, but basically in the early days of the Internet there were a lot of gaming forums and they all had egos the size of Texas running them, modding them, discussing on them, etc., and this was especially true of indie developers. A modern example would be Phil Fish, an older example might be John Romero, but essentially Derek Smart makes games because he likes the challenge but also because he likes to role-play online life as a gaming gangster.

It is a nice gesture and while I never really got into any of his games, I did appreciate what he was trying to do. He had some really great ideas and sometimes things actually did work, it was just tough to get into and never really "complete."

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Feb 7, 2015, 21:54 NewMaxx

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 21:18:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 12:51:
What I find surprising is there are still quite a few people that still don't related Republicans to big business.

What I find surprising is that there are still quite a few people who don't "related" Republicans to Democrats, since they are basically all the same. Coke and Pepsi. They may smell a little different, but they're both bad for you.

Yeah, exactly. EVERYONE is related to big business. Politics is a money game, whether you're talking the oligarchy in Russia or a democratic, capitalist society like the US. There's campaign contributions, there's lobbyists, there's taxes, you simply don't make it big in politics without financial backing. Actually, and ironically given HorrorScope's statement, it's often candidates from parties like the Tea Party that can get elected outside of that money game. When they talk about "Washington outsiders" they tend to mean anybody not attached to big money as much as they mean they never had a career in politics, and there's a reason for that: politics IS money, and money is big business.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Feb 6, 2015, 12:34 NewMaxx

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 09:42:
2 hours to learn a game isn't much of a time investment and it really depends on the genre. It is really hard to make a game with depth if any user can "learn" it in 20 minutes. The best games are smart about how they unfold mechanics gradually over time.

I just started playing Star Trek Online again, and it's taken me three full days to wrap my head around all the mechanics again...let alone the stuff they've added since I last played two years ago. It's a free-to-play game with complexities that are mild compared to many MMOs and I find teens and pre-teens with mastery of it on a regular basis while all the mainstays are older, married Trekkers.

Battlefield? It's more about learning the maps. You can break down the "situations" you meet in that type of game into about a dozen base encounters with some deviance. It doesn't use some new fancy control scheme, it doesn't try a lot of new things, people who have played older games in the series or Call of Duty or even Counterstrike have very little to "learn." That's kind of the idea.

The idea that their games are "too hard to learn" is around-speak for "we want to simplify things even more." Really? I already have difficulty playing these types of games in my 30s because it breaks down into shitty netcode twitch-gaming on a regular basis (Planetside 2 is the only game I can manage in the genre) with a bunch of annoying kids who have nothing better to do after school...no thanks.

"Every game is a RPG now" - maybe by your definition, EA Exec, but certainly not mine.

713 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo