Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 525 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > MMOGs Under Attack
11. Re: MMOGs Under Attack Aug 22, 2014, 20:45 NewMaxx

Tjold wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 17:20:
Who the fuck goes around packeting MMOs?
And, like, why?

To find and exploit vulnerabilities in the systems for a variety of purposes, including but not limited to hacking accounts and designing cheats. It's actually a substantial trade in Asia (read: Russia and China), criminals sell rolled-up information like that the same way US banks trade mortgages. Botnets are directly attached to this, of course.

Check this out:
http://betanews.com/2014/08/20/business-feud-ddos-attack-lasts-for-38-days/

Interesting that they call it a "business feud," yet somehow the system came online just ONE DAY before the attacks began and just happened to have sufficient capacity to handle it.

I won't go into my theory about how corporations are taking over the role that states have since abandoned (through progression and evolution) but simply put, there's more than meets the eye going on in cyberland these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases
20. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 20, 2014, 23:45 NewMaxx

It's been $48 at Gamefly for a while now and I'm sure it'll be that price on GMG, too. Previously they did say they would like to price it less than the past two games but that it was up to the publisher. It really should be cheaper.

As far as BL2 vs BL1 goes, both had their moments. BL2 had many improvements but there are some areas that weren't addressed to my satisfaction, and also I feel that BL1 was better in many ways. I also feel that depending on how you approach the series - whether as solo, coop, console or PC - determines your take on it.

News Comments > Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft
44. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 19:58 NewMaxx

Tom wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 19:13:
What I'm saying is that niche technologies sometimes go mainstream. ... who knows what technologies VR may contribute to in the future.

I absolutely have to support you here, as when the OR came up most recently I made a post about it explaining that my work in AI and robotics had opened me up to the possibilities of VR. I included a few links to relevant topics in Google Scholar, as well. I fully understand that people have opinions about the technology but very few of them have intimate knowledge with it and even fewer have an engineering background to back it up. I'd also say that most people like jumping to easily containable conclusions that fit their mental archetype that have nothing to do with the validity of a technology for things beyond its initial intended scope.

The technology the OC is harnessing has already been explored in an academic setting, in NASA, in DARPA, and in many other places as well. The foundation of not only HUDs for military weaponry and drones but also information-sifting technologies is, for the future, rooted in VR. Psychologists even believe there is an analogue between our perception of reality and the connection we will have with AI through VR. I could go on.

My personal experience with robotics has shown that the basic way we program their navigation and sensory apparati is "virtual" while not being very different than the way life interacts with the world. Indeed, our brain processes tons of information at any given moment and makes sense of it through various tricks and illusions, things no different than VR would become. To suggest this is an isolated, useless technology that won't be embraced by the average person is...well, short-sighted. Chances are very good that within 20-30 years, for example, our surgeries will be done through the use of VR (with potentially very distant surgeons) and robotics.

As far as the OR goes, well...you know, tons of people told me the Raspberry Pi would be niche when I first brought it up.

News Comments > Wargaming Boasts 100M Registered Players
14. Re: Wargaming Boasts 100M Registered Players Aug 13, 2014, 06:34 NewMaxx

Armengar wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 04:59:
I simply played T5/T6 instead of trying to move up to T9.

I felt the same way. Once I got some decent T6 tanks I really felt satisfied. The friend of mine I mentioned in my original post, the one I introduced the game to...he has tons of tanks including T9 and T10. He tells me that it's an entirely different game at that level. I don't doubt it...I just never found it compelling past T6, and that's what I keep telling him when he tries to get me back into it.

It's a bit crazy since I'm a hardened, old school player, but once I hit the real part of that grind...and especially when I start dealing with more competitive people, I just lose interest. I guess when it comes to online games I feel a little like Satre: hell is other people. I remember having a blast playing in LAN parties where no one knew or cared about the score at the end of the weekend. Now I just feel pressured any time I take up a game anymore.

tl;dr - the game is fun to learn and even master but the grind gets crazy past a certain stage and, at least IMHO, the game becomes a lot less about what makes it initially fun and begins feeling like a job

News Comments > Wargaming Boasts 100M Registered Players
4. Re: Wargaming Boasts 100M Registered Players Aug 12, 2014, 18:27 NewMaxx

MDB wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 17:45:
Always been a little baffled by World of Tanks' apparent success. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would have any kind of mass appeal.

As someone who put a lot of hours into World of Tanks (I haven't played in a long time, though) and who introduced a lot of friends to the game (many of whom are still addicted), let me say that it's largely due to broad appeal and, more importantly, instant gratification. Do you ever question why MOBAs are so popular? It's a similar question.

For example, my one friend who still plays...he has a tough job, three kids, and although he loves gaming he has little free time. The ability for him to just pop in for a match or two is a godsend. He'll even play at work during breaks for 15-30 minute sessions. I know a lot of people who play World of Tanks who do the same thing.

That kind of quick game is nothing new in the industry, of course, but it has become streamlined with other things like achievements, monetization, etc. The broad appeal comes from the fact that professional squads of players can compete against each other even as the majority of players are relative newbs. Again, nothing new.

If you're asking "why tanks," well shit...why dragons? Why zombies? People like what they like. Tanks have a cool mystique about them, they're the modern "knight" on the battlefield in the minds of people who have never seen a battle. I mean I played World of Warcraft for years and honestly disliked the mythos and didn't even play Warcraft 3, I enjoyed it for the gameplay. So you get a lot of people who like the tanks and the history, but others that just like the quick, FPS mentality. World of Tanks has both, it's free, it's easy to get, you get quick battles that are over quickly (average deaths are 3-4 minutes), lots of cool explosions and big machines duking it out, etc. What's not to love?

(I quit playing because it was too much fun, addiction to it was ruining my weekends as I would just get plastered and play until 6 AM with my squadmates)

News Comments > Steam TV and Film Support Hints?
9. Re: Steam TV and Film Support Hints? Aug 12, 2014, 18:06 NewMaxx

I already use their in-home streaming feature for all kinds of stuff...not just gaming (similar to Shield) but also applications (Rosetta Stone) and media (you can add Plex/XBMC as an application). Runs pretty well on 2.4 GHz wifi. I haven't tested it with a VLAN yet, although it would limit gaming to things that can tolerate latency.  

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
40. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 12, 2014, 18:00 NewMaxx

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 13:14:
Guaranteed cash is better than estimated cash.

I seem to recall it being explicitly stated that the last Tomb Raider failed to meet its sales target, so I'd have to say that guaranteed cash is quite a motivator.

News Comments > Metro Redux Uncovered Trailer
10. Re: Metro Redux Uncovered Trailer Aug 9, 2014, 01:44 NewMaxx

Metro Last Light was awesome and ran great for me, but Metro 2033 ran like shit. At the time it came out it ran like shit, but when I went back to try again after beating Last Light with a much more powerful system it still ran like shit. (i5 @ 4.6 GHz, 12GB RAM, 2x760, SSD RAID)

So if it looks and runs like Last Light did, it's a victory in my book since I might be able to finish it now. I expect maximum quality and 60+ FPS in my games when my system should clobber an engine like that.

News Comments > Casey Hudson Departs BioWare
24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2014, 06:29 NewMaxx

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 05:50:
Correction: Mistakes are only on everyone, when everyone agrees to it. When the lead designer says: "this is good, we'll go with it." The mistake is clearly on them, and only them. That's the whole point behind a lead designer, to sort out the crap and make the best choices, not the expedient ones.

That is a variation of Sun Tzu's thoughts on leadership, and I'd agree. I see people complaining all the time about how CEOs get massive salaries and can just move to another job if shit hits the fan, and yet when it comes to game design suddenly it's "mistakes are on everyone." The guy gets paid more to make decisions and take responsibility for the outcomes.

If you want to see how a lead designer properly manages a team, check out Chris Avellone. I actually worked briefly as an assistant designer for what passed as an indie gaming company over 15 years ago and while I had a lot of leeway, it was clear what was allowable and what was not. My point is to loop back to the Sun Tzu saying which is basically that the leader must not be vague about what is acceptable and it sounds awfully like this guy was vague.

News Comments > Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs
28. Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs Aug 7, 2014, 17:22 NewMaxx

ViRGE wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 16:53:
Huh? What the heck does Deep Silver have to do with this?

"Amid turmoil, Crytek plans to publish Ryse for PC with Deep Silver"

News Comments > July Steam Hardware & Software Survey
14. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 6, 2014, 17:34 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 16:30:
The only thing wrong with Vista was a rocky launch. It's fundamentally the same under the hood as 7 and 8 and works just as well.

I see Vista vs. 7 in the same light I saw 2K vs. XP. I was one of those guys who preferred the former in each case, but I am also a power user (Windows 7 and XP both removed power features and made others more difficult to find or use). Of course you won't see that anywhere...everybody loved XP and 7. The funniest part of all is that people treated 7 as the second coming over Vista despite the fact that the leap from XP to Vista was far, far greater than Vista to 7. Likewise the difference between 7 and 8 is along the same lines and yet due to Metro it is suddenly ME part II. This is why people in technology like myself just throw our hands up in the air and then just nod in agreement to whatever the users want to use and pray at night for progress.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jul 31, 2014, 16:03 NewMaxx

I'm not going to read the article, but I've had the argument with many people about whether video games are inherently "good" or "bad." Since I'm a gamer you'd expect me to side with the former, and generally I do, but I find it really comes down to people being ignorant of history.

Game-playing is, innately, one of the foundations of modern order. The British and all of their colonies (including, later, the USA) were known to be gamesome. This had its roots in college, of course, but the idea is not far different than that of nature where you have animal offspring practicing fighting and such on each other. Indeed, primitive tribal man often engaged in such "scrimmages" to hone their abilities. A good example would be the dam-busting experiment of the British during WWII, which involved a design that required knowledge of cricket and snooker. The Germans captured planes and bombs from it but couldn't figure it out as their culture wasn't as gamesome.

One might argue that video games aren't the same as team sports but, actually, it is very much the same thing, just in a modern sense. It's not a stretch to see video game skills being put to use controlling HUDs, robots, drones, etc. One might then argue that warfare must cease but, even if that were possible, there are still many peaceful applications, such as rover control and programming. Take a look at the PSX classic Carnage Heart and tell me that didn't create a lot of programmers...I'm one of them.

Essentially, games have their basis in the competition found in nature. At worst it is like any other technology, neutral until used for negative ends. At best, it is an educational aid that is developing technological minds for tomorrow.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jul 31, 2014, 12:03 NewMaxx

I haven't been able to go to GameSpot in quite some time, due to my privacy add-ons, HOSTS file entries, Peer/IP blocks, crap-site protection, etc. The fact that it's blocked for me by one of these is telling since very few sites outside ad-mongers are blocked completely...  

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
16. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 17:38 NewMaxx

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 12:47:
Interesting. Crytek was really excited about making this game, weren't they? Shows how desperate they are/were that they had to part with it...

As I said in two other posts on this site in months past, the part of the company having the issues was Crytek UK, which only worked on the new Homefront. It is not surprising to anyone following the events of the preceding months that this was the part that would be sold off. It's also not surprising that development was kept in the UK (take a guess where they got the people for the "new studio"). Industry analysts anticipated this quite a while ago...

Had they been truly excited about it they would have utilized Crytek Frankfurt. It does seem that they will have to shift their focus after this, though, in terms of development versus publishing and their engine.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Euro Megaserver Migration
2. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Euro Megaserver Migration Jul 28, 2014, 23:03 NewMaxx

DangerDog wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 22:36:
Migration, so soon.

Not sure that word means what you think it means...

People complained from day one that all the servers were in the US. They're now having a separate one in Europe. It's migrating from the US to Europe. That is not the same as consolidation/merging.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2014, 23:12.

News Comments > BioWare Teases Gamescom Shadow Realms Reveal
10. Re: BioWare Teases Gamescom Shadow Realms Reveal Jul 25, 2014, 13:18 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 12:50:
The IP may be interesting, but the trailer is fucking terrible.

Exactly what I was getting at in my short reply. New IP, great, different ideas, sure, but if you're intending a viral teaser at least make it compelling. I found the intro to The Secret World more interesting than this...

News Comments > BioWare Teases Gamescom Shadow Realms Reveal
2. Re: BioWare Teases Gamescom Shadow Realms Reveal Jul 25, 2014, 10:18 NewMaxx

Not entirely sure what they were going for with this viral campaign but whatever it is, they failed.  

News Comments > Trine Enchanted Edition
5. Re: Trine Enchanted Edition Jul 24, 2014, 13:55 NewMaxx

yuastnav wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 11:19:
I hope they start working on Trine 3 soon.
With a name like that you gotta make it a trilogy.

I think you mean...Trin3!

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 15:44 NewMaxx

Isaiah Berlin's concept of plurality seems to apply here:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/vl/notes/berlin.html

Specifically,
The fact that men are men and women are women and not dogs or cats or tables or chairs is an objective fact; and part of this objective fact is that there are certain values, and only those values, which men, while remaining men, can pursue. If I am a man or a woman with sufficient imagination (and this I do need), I can enter into a value system which is not my own, but which is nevertheless something I can conceive of men pursuing while remaining human, while remaining creatures with whom I can communicate, with whom I have some common values -- for all human beings must have some common values or they cease to be human, and also some different values else they cease to differ, as in fact they do.

(The Proper Study of Mankind)

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 23, 2014, 15:43 NewMaxx

Wrong thread  

525 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo