Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 810 (Graduate)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Bashiok Leaving Blizzard
2. Re: Bashiok Leaving Blizzard Aug 1, 2015, 16:52 NewMaxx

Being a good community manager can be a tough job. Not saying he is or was one, didn't really play Blizzard games. It is also a position with a notoriously short turnover time, so if he managed 12 years then I have to show some respect for that. The best community managers tend to be with small games that have a devoted fan base, where even the community manager is a big fan. A good example is LaughingTrendy for Star Trek Online. Being a community manager of a community like WoW would be...mind-numbing to say the least.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA and AMD Windows 10 Drivers
5. Re: NVIDIA and AMD Windows 10 Drivers Jul 29, 2015, 20:41 NewMaxx

edaciousx wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 20:25:
why would people want to run 32bit windows?

I run 32-bit on my Windows tablet (which only has 2GB of RAM), many mobile chips didn't support 64-bit actually. I also have an old X2 machine that's running 32-bit Windows 7 with 2GB of RAM (and that actually DOES have a modern enough video card to be affected here). When you're dealing with limited resources, every little bit of overhead matters!

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to "Hate"
4. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 29, 2015, 19:52 NewMaxx

"Itís difficult when people seem to dislike you only because youíve found success with something."

Dude, you're not even 1/100th as popular as Minecraft was and Notch (mostly) handled it better. Just saying.

Really the way he said that kind of annoys me, like he's letting it go to his head, and then he turns around and talks about his humble beginnings at Target and Dollar General. Look bro it's nice you want to explain yourself but just go back to making games, for the love of God. We don't need a cuddlier Phil Fish.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 15:04 NewMaxx

MajorD wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:57:
Thank you NewMaxx for the brief and informative write up, much appreciated.

No problem! I'm replying to clarify what I said about UAC. I mentioned that if you're someone who likes UAC disabled that you might have more problems than usual on Windows 10 (Windows 8/8.1 had a few issues with that, as well). I'd like to expand on that and say you pretty much need UAC enabled under Windows 10. The best way around it is liberal use of the Task Scheduler.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 14:58 NewMaxx

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 14:26:
I'm sure there are other examples of other countries doing things that actually work to control the issues you listed.

I was being facetious to prove a point that I was agreeing with who I quoted - that statistics are unreliable and people rely way too much on emotion with these issues. Another good example:

http://bit.ly/1I2kYE2

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 14:56 NewMaxx

descender wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 14:40:
Sorry Newmaxx, but that "statistic" you cited is just another NRA smokescreen.

Hook, line and sinker. Exposes'm every time.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 14:22 NewMaxx

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 13:49:
We "feel" banning guns will help society, yet lack any solid evidence to back that up. (Yes, I am well aware of all the studies. Studies funded by special interest groups that for sure have no bias.)

There's a lot of interesting facts around that, actually. For example, the UK's stronger gun laws mean that the number of violent crimes involving firearms (1 in 20) is far less than the US. However, the UK has over twice the number of violent crimes as in the US. It's pretty clear that any "one size fits all" approach to gun control is naive.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 10:35 NewMaxx

I upgraded when it became available a bit early to TechNet people. I went from Windows 8.1. Usually I'm a proponent of "always a clean install" but I wanted to witness the process so I'm better able to serve my clients. The activation carried over without any issue and the process was relatively quick and painless. For those wanting to go that way, let me list some of my findings.

1) It will leave a windows.old folder that contains the old Windows installation as well as any Program Files items that weren't compatible (drivers) and your personal documents, if you choose to transfer everything over. This folder can be backed up and then removed by running (Win + R) cleanmgr. Windows 10 does use less space which is nice for the SSD/eMMC user.

2) It does swap out your drivers. Be prepared to reinstall video drivers and, for compatibility, potentially audio and storage drivers, as well as gaming (Xbox 360 wireless controller for me) drivers. On the whole I didn't have any problems once I got everything reinstalled on that front.

3) It does reset many of your settings. For example, default browser, default "open with" settings, cached items, etc. No real difficulty in getting things back the way I wanted.

4) Some changes as far as the taskbar goes, included Action Center, Search (Cortana), Start Menu, multiple desktop taskbar settings, virtual desktops, etc. I advise checking out some of the "new features in Windows 10" sites that have a list of this stuff. Configure it to your liking.

5) If you're using this on a touch-based device there are a lot of special settings for that.

6) If you have any issues with drivers (for example, Dolby PCEE + Home Theater v4), the procedure to disable driver signing and other advanced options is the same as in Windows 8/8.1.

7) Haven't had too many issues with Steam or games yet. DX12 doesn't seem to work right with Crossfire/SLI yet.

8) If you usually run with UAC disabled you may be used to not having access to the Windows Store, etc., in Windows 8/8.1. Unfortunately it seems even more things are now tied to having UAC enabled which is frustrating.

Overall impressions so far: compatibility is pretty solid, stability is good, performance is excellent. Many improvements if you're coming from 8 (before the changes in 8.1 especially) and it's worth it if gaming is a large part of your life. Simply put, DX12 is already here and games WILL be taking advantage of it. If you happen to be CPU-limited it's especially a good idea to move to Windows 10; lower CPU overhead, plus DX12's API uses far less CPU calls (similar to Mantle). If your needs are simpler and touch-based, Windows 8.1 is perfectly fine. If you aren't on touch and have only basic needs, Windows 7 is still excellent.

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
9. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 26, 2015, 15:44 NewMaxx

600-700 milliseconds, interesting time frame. I'm a long-time player of Planetside 2 and the average Time To Kill (TTK) at a distance of 10-20 meters (the average) is 600-700 ms of a very skilled player. It's also 600-700 ms at 0-5 meters (very close) for a less-skilled player. I guess what I'm saying is, that it "is the right amount of time to start and finish it" is not exactly a novel concept.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Global Server Expansion
6. Re: MechWarrior Online Global Server Expansion Jul 22, 2015, 15:24 NewMaxx

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:22:
The last time this game came up there was much whining about P2W, 3PV, and CW.... Yet none of those folks could provide a single argument/example that had an impact on the current game. It was all about the 'feels'. I'm sorry if someone is hurt and irrational that it isn't what they want/remember, there isn't a single game out there that has been the exact same on the initial drawing board as when it dropped to our hard drives. Old Battletech fans are crusty and rabid about the IP...and that is one of the major hindrances to it becoming a successful video game.

And yet clearly you read not one word of what I posted (several posts) about this the last time it came up. The problem is that they were TOO sincere towards the original board game which resulted in ridiculously imbalanced play which combined with their terrible control of the engine forced them into a corner where they had to pander to the P2W players. No offense but your post is so completely off the mark that it just baffles me how out of touch you are with the general target audience.

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
14. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 12:44 NewMaxx

In my testing I tend to notice up to about 90 FPS and I find anything below 45 FPS to be jarring. I can absolutely notice a 30 FPS cap immediately. For example, I bought Dead Space 3 a few weeks ago and (as I usually do) enabled V-Sync in-game. I immediately knew it was locked at 30 FPS. I disabled V-Sync in-game and enabled it in the NVIDIA control panel, and voila, back to 60. So much smoother. My older (secondary) machine is CPU-limited to about 40-45 FPS and that's how I know that's about as low as I can handle for most things.

If I go from say, 60 FPS to 85 FPS, I can notice a very real difference. From 85 to 100 I'd have much more difficulty. It does depend on the game and the monitor but while I'm satisfied at 60 I welcome the day I can run V-Sync on a 120 Hz monitor.

It's not really entitlement for me, it's just that playing all games at a steady 60 FPS has made my gaming experience fantastic and the idea that it's not really better than 30 is outright ridiculous. The last game I played for some time while locked at 30 FPS was LA Noire, and it was VERY distracting during action sequences and noticeable immediately even at crime scenes.

News Comments > YAGER's Dead Island 2 Statement
5. Re: YAGER's Dead Island 2 Statement Jul 15, 2015, 20:46 NewMaxx

siapnar wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 14:25:
Yager are too talented a dev to settle for the game that Deep Silver wanted to push out. That's how I read this

Pretty close, yeah. Deep Silver has long since moved into "publisher mode" and their constraints are a bit like Cuddy supervising House.

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped
17. Re: Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped Jul 15, 2015, 20:43 NewMaxx

Kajetan wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 05:02:
According to my information the blame for the X-Rebirth debacle was more with Deep Silver than Egosoft. 80/20, if you want to quantify it. Stupid, utter stupid product management from Deep Silver and a dev, who was forced to finish a broken, misguided attempt to make a X console game with the little resources he had.

There are some people at Deep Silver, who are just toxic. Not particular stupid, because they manage to survive all internal power struggle and still are on top, just toxic for everyone involved.

Your information is pretty good.

8. Re: Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped Jul 14, 2015, 22:19 NewMaxx

NotOneOfUs wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 21:57:
Just odd there were no rumblings before this.

There actually were some rumblings (I'm an industry insider! No, there actually were some public ones, too) but the sudden drop is a bit of a surprise. It has more to do with politics than the game which is why they are continuing it. I can't speculate beyond that but I think you'll find the answer if you focus more on Deep Silver than YAGER.

2. Re: Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped Jul 14, 2015, 20:08 NewMaxx

They probably compared it to Dying Light and were like, "fml"  

News Comments > Op Ed
63. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 18:09 NewMaxx

Overon wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 17:55:
It's irrelevant if Derek Smart is a toxic unjustifiably arrogant narcissistic self promoting pathological liar.

You're mostly right, but not completely right. A professional football player could be hall of fame material but beat his wife; he will face suspension and possibly criminal charges. Or maybe a baseball player uses steroids to hit more home runs - is he still to be judged equally as a fantastic player? I could be Elon Musk and perhaps my automobile technologies will change the world, but if I cheated financially to get there then my business will still be at risk.

Maybe I'm a patent troll who has all the paperwork and laws behind me, does that make my claims any less repugnant? People change the system over things like this. Much of history is assholes being the best at something - including being assholes - and that doesn't shield them from judgment. Some pharaohs built pyramids on the backs of laborers, you could say they'd be the right people to ask about building pyramids; but if it required practices that are now deemed unacceptable, maybe there is a better way.

Yes, his statements should be analyzed in a vacuum, in a "black box" manner, if you will. Had they come from anybody else reactions might be somewhat different. The problem is that there is no such thing as a vacuum when it comes to opinions. We need to know the expertise of the commenter, we need to probe his motives, we need to look at his experiences, his ideology, even the basis of his reasoning. What your suggesting is similar to the thought experiment of the Chinese room, worthy of argument but inherently it misses the point.

(if you're confused by that, I'm saying that your point essentially implies that if the same exact words were randomly generated by AI and we didn't know the source the material would be more valuable than if it came from Derek Smart and we knew the source, since we are more liable to dismiss it in that case; I wholly disagree)

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2015, 18:17.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 14, 2015, 10:49 NewMaxx

Not at all surprising, I've said before on Blue's that I used to professionally game and that a large number of people abused stimulants. You've heard of people dying from playing games too many hours in a row, right? There was always a high risk of problems with this combination. Side effects like paranoia, dehydration, and long-term physical and mental problems were commonplace. When you add in the stress and drama of professional gaming you literally see madness creep up in a lot of people. I realize every time this is brought up people comment that other sports and even academics suffer from similar abuses and that's very true. Still, I think it's something people don't often take seriously enough in the gaming world.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 11, 2015, 15:28 NewMaxx

Julio wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 11:06:
I don't think there's any trick here - they're style over substance and people are paying for the name.

More generally people are being subjective. If you've ever heard of the Loudness Wars when it comes to music you know that people's taste in terms of fidelity is extremely lacking. I've helped numerous friends get audio gear and they, for example, will say Sennheiser sounds "weak" compared to Beats. They just expect a ton of muffled, fake bass and terrible mids and aren't willing to set up quality equipment (which, ironically, would still cost them less). In short, the average person has shit for taste. In objective terms Beats is overpriced garbage, though.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patched
46. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 8, 2015, 09:25 NewMaxx

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 16:23:
Actually not a bad build overall. Griffin is not in favor at the moment, but can still be a strong brawler.

Thanks. I fell asleep early last night so I didn't get the chance to reply back.

Your reply basically proves my point. I made that build before I had even played the game. It sticks enough to the base rules to allow for that, which is not a bad thing but it just doesn't translate well into a balanced video game. Which leads to the second part; let's be honest, the Griffin with that build was never in favor. You say it can still be a strong brawler but when I did actually play the game for a while, it was a liability to my team.

You later in your reply mention "hanging with a friendly ECM mech," another glaring problem I saw with the game. Actually I'm just going to stop there as I'm just getting frustrated at this point but the game was a disaster at launch and still pretty bad when I played a year ago. Maybe they fixed all this crap and it's good now, I don't know, but I was never able to play the way I wanted without derpmaster metagame plus daddy warbucks ruining it for me.

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Sells 1M; Adds Mod Support
27. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Sells 1M; Adds Mod Support Jul 8, 2015, 09:03 NewMaxx

Some things to note...

No SLI/Crossfire support under DX11 with the UE4. Only DX12. DX12 = Windows 10. Anybody wanting the best performance out of this game, especially if they have 2+ GPUs, needs to be willing to go to Windows 10 the second it comes out. The game will be designed around DX12 so that's fair warning. Personally the game has convinced me to do 8.1 -> 10 on July 29th.

810 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo