Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 733 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Turns One
15. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Turns One Apr 5, 2015, 20:32 NewMaxx

The best place to look for a deal is isthereanydeal.com, also helps with price history. Set a price alert (waitlist) for what you're willing to pay and wait. I do it all the time, got my last half dozen games that way without a problem.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2015, 20:38.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats
30. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats Apr 1, 2015, 22:01 NewMaxx

Vall Forran wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 20:19:
Huh, I haven't come across any bugs yet.

I...what? I came across bugs in the first session I played. I'll admit that some aren't obvious unless you're attentive, though.

As far as spell-casting and foresight goes...you can absolutely prepare for fights if you scout them out first with stealth and the like. The advantage of a variety in spells, however, is being prepared for any situation. For example, there's a first-level Wizard spell that interrupts casters. It's not something you use in a normal fight or even many 'boss' fights, but when the time comes...you just know when to use it. Buffs are the same way, they are only practical in situations where you need specific bonuses or more specifically need to overcome penalties against certain enemies. It's not on the level of BG2 (IMHO) but it's similar.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 1, 2015, 21:09 NewMaxx

Disclaimer: I've done work in the robotics/AI/drone field

I was laughing my ass off a week ago or so when Amazon was complaining they lost six months of R&D to the FAA. Not because it's inherently funny (it is) or because that was lightning speed for the FAA (it was) but because anybody in the business knows they were testing around those limitations in the meantime in myriad ways. The best analogy would be faking a fall or foul in the NBA or football (soccer). It happens all the time at the patent office (I have worked as an editor of patents), it's just amusing to see a giant company actually try to gain sympathy so blatantly.

News Comments > DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round PC Launch Missing Features
18. Re: DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round PC Launch Missing Features Mar 30, 2015, 16:06 NewMaxx

Aliasing is a function of pixel density, not resolution. I might not need anti-aliasing on my 5", 1080p smartphone but I do enjoy it on my 23", 1080p monitor. Likewise, I can supersample down from 4K with that monitor and it won't look as good as native 4K because my monitor is effectively doing anti-aliasing in that mode. Native 4K with anti-aliasing looks even better on a large screen. For those who want to bring up viewing distance, that's already included in pixel density; the pixel density perceptible to the human eye is based on viewing arc which is proportionate to distance. So, again, aliasing is a function of pixel density.  

News Comments > Valve's HTC Vive Free for Developers
26. Re: Valve's HTC Vive Free for Developers Mar 27, 2015, 20:18 NewMaxx

Tom wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 17:39:
And in less time than you expect, VR will spread to non-gamers for non-gaming applications.

This is what I say every time the topic comes up, because I have an academic background in the field and I've seen it first hand. There are some amazing things you can do with VR...just look at how creative people were with the Kinect. Getting it into the hands of individual developers, universities, even companies will be a big win all around. I know I got some hate the last time SteamVR came up because I mentioned that it might lean towards the mobile market in the long-term. I think people misunderstood. I didn't means games, I meant as a PDA (imagine virtual Siri), many of the ideas you listed, shopping, just to mention a few. In a much older post I listed links to research journals listing a lot of the stuff people like myself want to do with the technology.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
54. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 21:15 NewMaxx

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 20:44:
No bugs encountered so far either

I found a bug within 30 minutes...and not even with trying.

Need to stick to my guns on my policy of not trying indie games until they're patched 6-12 months or more. I have no doubt it's a fantastic experience but I'd rather it be smoothed out by lots of play, first. Hell, I waited on D:OS and Wasteland 2 and still tons of bugs, I still haven't touched Grimrock 2 since I knew they'd have a ton of shit to fix, etc. Not complaining mind you, just saying, waited this long...best wait longer for the perfect experience.

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
20. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 26, 2015, 00:04 NewMaxx

ViRGE wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 22:31:
You could pirate the game, maybe get a virus, and probably get something that doesn't work quite as well as the real thing.

That's true, and it's why when GOG started encrypting some stuff and we had a thread on here about it I mentioned how it could be construed as indirect DRM because it made pirating the files more risky. So, yeah, they are aware of it.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 25, 2015, 20:05 NewMaxx

"Back in the Baldur's Gate days and Shattered Steel, before there were our own forums. I think it was an environment we were familiar with, but certainly with Mass Effect's ending, it got more aggressive and bigger than we thought. And then all of a sudden, I think it got to the point where it's kind of absurd. Sitting from the outside, I look back and it's just really disappointing. It's bad for the industry as a whole to have this strife.

I'm very much a 'I hope everyone gets along' type of person, so I would love to see that happen, but who knows?" (emphasis mine)

Dude acts like he was making a work of art. It was a game you created for the primary purpose of generating profit. You let your writers come up with a boneheaded ending and refused to listen to your players, you know...the people who generate that profit. It's not that complicated. I mean how can you have it both ways...you're making a work of art that will have an impact on people, but you expect those same people not to get emotional about the outright mauling of their experience? Go back to your beer and bikes, hippie.

P.S. I understand his negative take on the forums but...yeah, they're forums. Duh.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints
31. Re: Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints Mar 25, 2015, 11:48 NewMaxx

Drayth wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 10:44:
BioWare claimed the only thing they have running is that software that monitors modifying of the .exe, and that was mainly to counter MP cheats (they claimed).

I've heard no mention of hardware id'ing for copy protection. If it's there people have been pretty quiet about it in the places I've been looking.

Of course Denuvo does hardware identification. There's a reason the initial cracks only worked on specific processors and required the building of an extensive database. It also has nothing to do with MP, it was anti-tampering so people wouldn't bypass the online DRM (Origin).

It does nothing like this activation crap, though.

News Comments > WoW Tokens Near
13. Re: WoW Tokens Near Mar 24, 2015, 19:03 NewMaxx

Fion wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 16:33:
WoW - the only MMOG I know where people are willing to pay $180 a year to basically sit around in the cities

I played from launch and quit after TBC. It's funny but I ended up doing a lot of city-sitting from lack of content even back then as my guild dominated raids and I had full T2 well before any expansion was in sight. I actually quit at TBC because they answered with a massive expansion that started handing gear out to newbs after I had city-sat for eons...

Seeing people complain after the next expack, or the next, or now, about the progression of issues stemming from those early moments kind of makes me laugh and...I'm sure as hell glad I got out when I did. The vast majority of MMOs are a pyramid scheme whereby the small, top elite control the direction of balance and content, and WoW was truly the first where that pyramid was inverted. Maybe that's why it remained so popular but it also meant to me that it was never really a MMO.

News Comments > RUNNING WITH RIFLES Next Week
6. Re: RUNNING WITH RIFLES Next Week Mar 23, 2015, 11:35 NewMaxx

I purchased this game way back when it was new on Desura, although I followed it even before then. I even submitted news of its updating here on Blue's News. I followed its Greenlight campaign on Steam and supported it there. I was glad it got on Steam and it's great that it is getting enough attention that it can finally be released!

It reminds me a lot of Soldat so perhaps that's why it's held my attention.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2015, 12:47 NewMaxx

Wow, this game looks AMAZING! ...and with such a visionary behind it, we might have a genre-bending, industry-changing title on our hands!  

News Comments > Cryptic Layoffs
7. Re: Cryptic Layoffs Mar 19, 2015, 14:28 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 13:47:
Social media savvy, friendliness, and the able to serve as the punching bag for your community's every complaint and whine without ever getting angry or taking it out on the community.

Essentially, yeah, especially in this case. Very friendly guy, used social media to great effect, hugged the playerbase. The problem was lack of communication and effectiveness in actually doing something productive. Don't get me wrong, you need community managers, but it's a very demanding position in many ways. You can't get by on social skills alone...you need to be engaged with the game, the developers, and the playerbase in a street of communication.

News Comments > Cryptic Layoffs
2. Re: Cryptic Layoffs Mar 19, 2015, 09:57 NewMaxx

Half of those laid off at Cryptic were working on Neverwinter, which is unsurprising because they have just wrapped up a new expansion. That happens with every company at such junctures.

Of the two mentioned for STO, one was unexpected (Matt Miller) and the other was expected (Captain Smirk). CS wasn't a particularly good community manager. Pretty good guy but...

I'm not a fan of PWE but I am a fan of Cryptic. I play STO, I enjoyed City of Heroes and then Champions Online, and I actually did play a bit of Neverwinter. Three of those continue to be pretty solid F2P offerings.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End
39. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Mar 17, 2015, 15:56 NewMaxx

Theo wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 15:10:
re the sto thing mate, its well worth a look thesedays - especially the 30 to cap content, some very good missions in there.....

Yep...it's not halfway bad (STO). If anybody needs a good fleet or some help with the game, drop me a line ( @shanemaxx ) in the game. I'm pretty well-versed. As far as ESO goes, I actually have two accounts so maybe I'll get back into it soon. I'm probably going to loan out the second account to friends to check the game out.

27. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Mar 17, 2015, 14:45 NewMaxx

Trevellian wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 14:27:
It's definitely not the best choice. Period. SWTOR is sadly monetized, I tried to go back once it was F2P and get back into the game, nope, impossible. Pay for features that should be in the game by default is a sad joke. Pay to hide your helm? Are you fucking kidding me? Half of my money, money I earned, was in fucking Escrow, and if wanted access to the money in Escrow I would have to pay real money to get it back.

I completely agree.

Most recently I got back into STO during the anniversary event. I played in the beta and had a Collector's Edition at launch. Played a few months, quit...checked in during the 2nd anniversary...then nothing until now. The game has a ton of flaws but to the resourceful player absolutely everything is attainable. Definitely a grind-heavy game but I mean once I got a bankroll it was pretty simple to roll 25k dilithium a day on top of a few million EC a day, combined will net you a top tier ship on sale with a week or two of effort. I guess my point is...even STO is a better example of F2P than SWTOR.

I like games that give you permanent benefits with just one payment or one month of subbing; best early example is Pirates of the Burning Sea. STO does this, too. I also like decent rolling benefits like Planetside 2 has - I dropped $200 on that and the majority was on aesthetics and a sub. And many B2P games with cash shops do it well, you already mentioned Guild Wars 2. All of those are superior examples and ESO looks to be headed that way.

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End Mar 17, 2015, 14:13 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 13:55:
That game is so monetized it is even funny

Pretty much, heavily monetized...I enjoyed the game itself (SWTOR) but it's not the ideal choice to use as a baseline for how to do F2P (which was the original argument...and which I agree with you on)

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End Mar 17, 2015, 12:46 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 12:30:
You really cant be serious about Star Wars doing it right.

Sorry, but you chose a poor choice of MMO's to try and compare this game to.

Have to agree with you on this one. SWTOR is a terrible example.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Mar 10, 2015, 20:22 NewMaxx

Verno wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:11:
The article makes some good points but doesn't really propose any real solutions. The volume alone makes Greenlight tedious for everyone involved but curating content by staff had its own set of complaints from devs/users. Perhaps some sort of hybrid system is best, I don't know.

Same old problems. It's not like there isn't any precedence...throughout history man has tried to come up with solutions for governance. The issue is that every other generation thinks it's hip and trendy and trying something new and progressive that's really just the same old failed shit from 40 years ago. There were plenty of people who threw up red flags when Greenlight was first proposed with very real concerns that were ultimately ignored. Progress for the sake of progress ends up moving you backwards.

Valve was in a unique position to do something great for indie developers. Instead, they've only encouraged the "cottage industry" that EricFate observantly notes. Don't get me wrong, people always find a way to F the system, but Valve is (I reiterate) in a governance position such that striking out against such acts in an effective fashion merely makes them look oppressive. They've painted themselves into a corner, and not a novel one at that.

News Comments > Source Engine 2 Announced
33. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 05:45 NewMaxx

ItBurn wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 04:44:
I'm not a fan of the source engine. Loading times are atrocious and it's had sound issues since forever. It's also only good for tight corridors or barren landscapes.

One of the reasons it was named Source is because the idea behind it was to get the flexibility of source code. You see this a lot in the Unix/Linux world but it also means tons of tiny files for everything, much like the Windows OS for example. Most games went the opposite route with fewer, larger files, but I digress. The performance issues were at least partially due to this approach because mechanical hard drives are pretty terrible at small I/O. The engine on a modern SSD purrs like a kitten. The other reason is because, like source code, you require on-the-fly compilation, which means computers with low amounts of memory (especially when shared with a video card) had especially long loading times. Not really an issue anymore.

Not disagreeing with you, just explaining the trade-offs they made. In many ways the engine was ahead of its time and certainly looking back I think it's easy to say that. Whether or not they continue that with Source 2 remains to be seen...but I expect on the 16+ GB, SSD-equipped PCs of today that have superior integrated GPUs, it might go a bit more smoothly. As for the audio issues...well, they were designing towards OpenGL and therefore OpenAL as well. This was incredibly buggy on Windows XP. Most of those issues were ironed out in Vista and 7 (and respective alternatve OS).

733 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo