Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 784 (Graduate)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
37. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 5, 2015, 05:13 NewMaxx

Windows 10 for ARK SLI, 'nough said  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Videos
17. Re: Sword Coast Legends Videos Jul 3, 2015, 20:18 NewMaxx

Hmm, reminds me of Storyteller Mode in Vampire: Redemption a little bit.  

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M
29. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 1, 2015, 09:28 NewMaxx

The newest fad in these crafting type games is undeniably ARK. Despite the high demands of its engine it has already hit some impressive numbers.

http://steamcharts.com/app/346110

Once it gets DX12 and SLI support (both supposedly in July), I'll probably get on board and run a server of my own.

News Comments > Valve on Steam Scams
10. Re: Valve on Steam Scams Jun 26, 2015, 19:48 NewMaxx

Sepharo wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 18:26:
And if Valve capitulated to scam reimbursement then it would be Valve getting scammed.

Bingo. Valve is often the one getting scammed by these reimbursements. Many online companies (e.g., Perfect World) that offer games through Steam will delay-lock purchases if made through Steam because of stolen credit cards and scams. While I do think it's Valve's duty to make their policies clear and try to prevent scamming as much as possible, they do not need to go beyond the limits of avoiding negligence to do so. Legally that is more or less ironclad and their reimbursements beyond that were a grace period gift.

News Comments > Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released
7. Re: Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released Jun 23, 2015, 21:05 NewMaxx

saluk wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 16:39:
Anyone playing this yet? Any good?

I've found it fantastic so far, I mean if you like the Borderlands universe and its type of humor it hits the right notes. Not for the hardcore adventure gamer or anything like that, just a funny story with QTEs and a light adventure mode...and of course decisions.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 23, 2015, 18:04 NewMaxx

Nice to see that Perception got funded. I backed it despite the fact I rarely back Kickstarters and I also don't play horror games of any sort. I just liked the honesty and passion of the team and the fact they were trying to innovate in a genre. I also thought they would barely get funded because of how low-key they were (and I was right) so every bit helps.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
17. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 21:55 NewMaxx

I refuse to go on the record agreeing with CJ_Parker but, as I stated multiple times, it is common knowledge in the industry. The only new information I really offered was that it would happen sooner rather than later once the 300 Series was announced (which is why I posted it there).

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2015, 22:03.

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 17:45 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 17:36:
I really wanted to invest in this company due to very low stock prices, but I just couldn't get behind any of their offerings as something that would take off. Good? Perhaps, but not good enough. I stayed sidelined, good thing, it dropped even a bit more.

Considered it myself a few times as I'm far clear of any insider trading claims but they never hit all the right notes simultaneously. You're better off with a blue chip that actually performs like a blue chip. AMD is a poor man's blue chip, which in stocks means nobody.

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 16:37 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:03:
I only just now checked your post Man your post was really informative.. I just wanted to thank you for that. No idea how you got that info but you really did have it right, so kudos to you ;)

Thanks! I didn't know this information would come out so quickly but I always post the rumor mill stuff I hear on Blue's News. Only on Blue's News. I worked for AMD a decade ago (writing white papers) but not long after that I transferred to NVIDIA (worked on what became Tesla) and then EA (java game coding for mobile). Burned out super quick but I got a good taste of the scene and it wasn't for me. I kept the contacts, though. Disclaimer: I do not invest in AMD, NVIDIA or Intel.

I wanted to elaborate on my comment earlier about the top guys being ballsy. I came across as saying they were defiant by making this move early but that's actually not entirely the case. They've been in talks with buyers (again, Samsung primarily) for about a year as I said, so them leaking it means they couldn't get the price they wanted. I stated that "AMD is overvalued" and that's true - however, people invested in the company (including top employees) want to get the most money they can. By leaking it early they are saying that negotiations failed and they are opening it to all bidders. This is good for consumers because transparency is always good, to explain my earlier comments.

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 15:14 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 13:28:
That would be the end for AMD, only ATI part of AMD is profitable no? How would they even compete against Intel with no profits?

Read my posts on the AMD 300 Series thread. AMD has been sought after by investment groups (Samsung's primarily) for over a year now. The intention has always been to split the groups up (as I suggest in that thread), the CPU division would be ideal for any mobile company that is devising their own ARM-based microprocessors (Samsung). I stated that the buyer would either dissolve the GPU division or more likely spin it off and sell it; AMD is being proactive here. I got a lot of denial from some people in that thread but I was bringing you guys the info first.

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 15:07 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 13:15:
@ Newmaxx

Yeesh, that's bad news.

My posts were on the AMD 300 Series thread for those curious, and I agree it's not the best news (I used to be an AMD fanboy). Again, it is widely known in the industry, I mentioned that Samsung (or any buyer) would split off the graphics group and resell it. It's just that the value is not there yet; AMD remains overvalued. This would be a preemptive move that I admittedly have heard nothing about but it's actually a good move on their part. I didn't expect any of their leadership to have the balls as it's a lot easier to play the waiting game before cashing out with a buyer, so ironically this decision (if taken) would be better for the consumer rather than worse.

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 12:39 NewMaxx

I gave you guys the inside info on the AMD thing about four days ago, didn't expect it to leak this quickly but there's the confirmation.  

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
50. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 17, 2015, 02:49 NewMaxx

Simon Says wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 01:28:
That sounds like if it does happen and Samsung doesn't release any discrete GPU parts, Nvidia will be left as a monopoly in this market. Intel doesn't have any discrete GPU parts.

If it does happen, I hope that anti-monopoly laws go into full effect and breaks down Nvidia, for GPUs and Intel, for CPUs into 2 competitors or more in each market, otherwise, we're screwed.

Ofc Nvidia could partner with Intel so that Intel releases discrete parts so as to avoid monopoly status, but Intel would have to be willing and Nvidia would probably need to grease Intel's paws. Same for the CPU market but in vice versa, Intel without competitors is a nightmare. And I somehow don't see Intel and Nvidia partner so that they both avoid monopoly status.

Things could get bumpy and nightmarish if AMD closes shop for desktop discrete GPU and CPU parts.

Intel has had a virtually monopoly on the desktop/x86 CPU market for quite some time. They did have a judgment in AMD's favor where they threw a lot of money at it, but actually what most people don't know is Intel also invested in AMD many years ago; they propped AMD up to avoid further anti-monopoly legislation and simply deferred the issue.

You're right that Intel doesn't have any discrete GPU parts (although they considered it at one point, but despite popular opinion they canceled it not out of inability but rather to avoid anti-monopoly claims) and you're right that it would leave NVIDIA in a sole position. Some things to consider: on the CPU front, Intel's weak points are actually mobile/embedded (ARM) and servers (NVIDIA). AMD is strong in embedded GPU (consoles) and would be a great match with Samsung/ARM; in fact they're already moving towards ARM.

Discrete GPUs are simply not a big business, and desktop chips is a continuously diminishing market. The only real question mark is what will happen to the discrete GPU market. It's still too early to know, although I speculate that Samsung will spin that division off (possibly to Intel).

People need to realize that AMD's CPU division has given up sustainability a long time ago; they rely on others to make their chips, chipsets (motherboards), etc. Samsung or any other buyer would only maintain the CPU division for R&D and to use as political (by political I mean industry) leverage against Intel. The GPU division could be useful to leverage against NVIDIA in a similar manner but I think Samsung could find a buyer for it considering its viability as compared to the CPU department.

They are of course other potential buyers, Samsung has simply been the one I've heard the most chatter about over the last year or so. It's widely expected in the industry that AMD will need to be bailed in less than five years.

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
29. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 18:45 NewMaxx

Bit of insider rumors from my old contacts in the industry for those interested, Samsung has been looking at scooping up AMD for quite some time now. It's mostly to boost their Exynos portfolio in the mobile arena but they would be shaving a lot of the CPU and GPU staff, who would go to Intel and NVIDIA mostly. The discrete GPU part would disappear completely as it currently exists. Samsung is also very interested in HBM (in the mobile space, they back Wide I/O and Wide I/O 2). They are also interested in gaming from a variety of viewpoints, including their TVs and mobile controllers. Samsung is simply waiting for the best time to pick them up; best value, fewest competitors, essentially.

This launch, as expected, has been pretty awful. On the one side they have re-brands that either have too much memory or, in the very least, cost too much and/or use too much power. The new HBM cards, while interesting, might have only 4GB. For those defending all of this, please consider: too much memory (8GB) on the one hand, then a focus on memory efficiency for the 4GB HBM. Those are contradictory moves on top of what amounts to rebrands that bring no lower prices. They're just phoning it in until they get bought out, and that's not even discussing the non-existent CPU side of the company. I'm not biased; I build computers for people regularly and my last 3 have a 280, a 290X, and a GTX 960 (but no AMD CPUs).

"NVIDIA does the same thing." Read the market, look at price histories. You see Intel refreshing the same chips at the same prices over and over again and they hold them there while out-selling the competition. NVIDIA has been doing the same thing for a while now. That speaks of market dominance and it's simply insurmountable in the current economy. AMD's graphics division is most valuable in its research department, their knowledge of memory and memory controllers is unparalleled and that's very attractive in the mobile and console spaces. They are pushing HBM for that reason as even if they fail they will be a good buyout prospect.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2015, 18:53.

News Comments > YouTube Gaming This Summer
17. Re: YouTube Gaming This Summer Jun 13, 2015, 11:40 NewMaxx

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 13, 2015, 11:21:
True, but I think you're missing the point.

I'm not. I don't want broad appeal, I am selective about who watches. People who want to make money have easy outlets available and those who are super social giants have plenty of options, too. Although to be quite honest, the technology to harness social networking on your own host has existed for many years (Joomla, Drupal, etc). One problem with that is many modules pull from other social networking sites which are now closing out such avenues because they want part of the profits (which includes user data), but I digress. Someone who wants a simple stream setup for their friends that posts as they wish to Twitter or something, it's easy to do.

My point was that the alternatives are Twitch (hacked), Youtube (requires partnership), Hangouts (no partnership but Google+ and data harvesting), etc. It's nice to have another option so I posted the information here for those who want a bit more control. Hell, the fact that many of the streaming stars, such as Pewdiepie, are already considering making their own separate networks tells you that what's out there is profit-mongering BS.

News Comments > YouTube Gaming This Summer
15. Re: YouTube Gaming This Summer Jun 13, 2015, 11:06 NewMaxx

I closed my Twitch account after they got hacked. Earlier today I tried to stream over YouTube and realized that using Hangouts (only option if you don't want to be "partnered") is downright shitty. Steam's broadcasting is nice, yeah, but I like more control.

So I set up my own server using nginx + rtmp (on Windows from http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/ using version 1.7.12.1, small amount of .conf editing) and Open Broadcaster Software (OBS), in just two shakes of a llama's tail. Then I forwarded the ports and voila! To make it easier for newb viewers I simply installed jwplayer on a http server (either on my webhost or locally on WAMP), done deal. Took me less time to do that than to jump through the f'n hoops on YT.

P.S. nginx + rtmp takes practically 0 resources so that's not an issue

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
30. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 16:52 NewMaxx

He's a cool and nice guy. Be sure to check out his interviews on Matt Chat if you haven't already. Some good history there, especially about Planescape, and also good tips for those wanting to get into the gaming industry.

Early Days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCuxo5YDkc&hd=1

Planescape: Torment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWEl0IQm670&hd=1

Also, Torment: Tides of Numenara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06YvwO3V4Ms&hd=1

News Comments > Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions
15. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 6, 2015, 15:15 NewMaxx

Aw hell naw!  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
56. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 15:21 NewMaxx

I didn't previously make a comment about the graphics but if we're going to go there...it looks like someone made the game for consoles and liberally applied SweetFX to it. I hate both of those things. I don't care, though, as there will be plenty of options and mods available for it on PC. I knew they'd be using an older engine so my expectations of graphical fidelity were never high.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
39. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 13:49 NewMaxx

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 12:14:
That's the problem for me. I look at this and think 'I've played this before'. I really couldn't get into New Vegas as it seemed like a Fallout 3 mod and I'd just burnt myself out completing that. The environments all look the same.

When Fallout 3 first came out, I only got about halfway through it and kind of lost interest. Then I bit into New Vegas like a rabid dog, loving every last inch of it. Then I came back to a patched and modded Fallout 3 with a different perspective and...actually preferred it to New Vegas. This was after Skyrim's release and I started to realize that at first blush, having 10,000 areas to visit crammed into a smallish map was addicting, a la collectibles in open world games. It just got old so fast that only then did I realize the concise, linear narrative of Fallout 3 was actually superior in substance.

New Vegas is great if that's your first taste of such gameplay but after 100 hours I'd rather have a more traditional game that doesn't copy-paste 500 caves and call it content.

784 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo