Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 836 (Graduate)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in February
13. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in February Aug 31, 2015, 13:40 NewMaxx

Dagnamit wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 12:52:
"We’re thrilled to announce Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will launch February 23rd March 29th April 12th, 2016!"

Exactly. This is a Q2 game if I've ever seen one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > "Do or Die" for Frozenbyte
2. Re: Aug 27, 2015, 10:17 NewMaxx

I love the games they make but I'm confused as to how a budget three times what Trine 2 had has somehow left them with a half-assed game and a "do or die" scenario. They really needed a budget almost ten times larger to be successful with Trine 3? Sounds like complete mismanagement by every metric that matters. I'm happy to hear facts to the contrary, maybe I'm missing something?  

News Comments > Dying Light Demo
9. Re: Dying Light Demo Aug 26, 2015, 16:29 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 16:09:
Ima try it but I think I'm just not down with the zombie games. We'll see.

I hate zombies and zombie games. I absolutely LOVED Dying Light. There is a caveat, though...PLAY WITH FRIENDS. This game is only so-so solo, but with a friend or two it is a blast.

I beat the game with my cousin in about 56 hours. I'm about to play through it again starting over with a friend, it's that good. My cousin put it best when he explains why he loves it...there's "imprinted moments" that you rarely get with gaming. There's a half dozen or more moments I remember with perfect clarity. We came up with our own "language," dozens of terms to describe situations quickly to each other. We'd work as a team to scout, corner, trick the "coneheads" (our nickname for volatiles). Best coop experience I've had in years...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Why Nobody Should Ever Search The Ashley Madison Data. Aug 26, 2015, 09:45 NewMaxx

Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 09:12:
Is his a satire article? Am I that old that I completely missed it? In my defense, if it is a joke, it's a very poorly written one and the author should probably find another career.

It's The Register. They're about as close to trolling as IT journalism gets. A lot of their opinion pieces tend to drip with satire, yes...

News Comments > Dying Light: The Following Trailer
6. Re: Dying Light: The Following Trailer Aug 26, 2015, 06:23 NewMaxx

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 02:06:
It's not a coincidence, those are two of the high-profile games of recent memory that have masqueraded "performance optimizations" as flat-out reducing the game's visual quality. Now you'd have to tweak the .ini to get the settings as high as they used to be able to be set in-game when they launched. might not be good enough to run the game at the highest settings...

it's taken third parties like NVIDIA to do comparison tests when they put together tweak guides to find out that draw distance, shadow/texture/lighting quality, or whatever else had been neutered.

This is very true. NVIDIA's tweak guide for this game mentions most of the changes (that I listed in more detail in my initial reply) and the fact you have to .ini fix things like view distance. It does seem to be that games are approaching the point where many settings have tiny effects despite having all those extra settings. You say "console experience" somewhere in your post (not quoted) and essentially that's what it is, they extrapolate a ton of settings for the PC to make PC people happy but at the end of the day they pull it back and you really don't have as much choice as it appears.

News Comments > Dying Light: The Following Trailer
5. Re: Dying Light: The Following Trailer Aug 26, 2015, 06:16 NewMaxx

Rigs wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 00:32:
Well, I updated last night to the 1.5.0 patch, finally, and it's smooth as *(^$# butter! I knew it wasn't my system!

The patches do help a lot and there are reasons for that. For starters, some of the settings were outright changed; for instance, 100% view distance after 1.2.1 is what it would be at 55% in the original release. Other settings have been moved up a tier, for example "very low" became "low" for many of them, so all else being equal if you kept the same setting from original to post-patch you would be actually running what had been one setting lower. Lastly, some of the settings don't even improve quality. For example, setting textures to high from medium doesn't improve quality, it just caches more in video memory. Putting it on high for a video card with not enough memory will reduce performance for no gain whatsoever. I believe after the patch the auto detection for this is better on some settings.

In any case, I've run the game on a 960, 2x760, and a 290X, and they can all pretty much run it at maximum for 1080P with a smooth 60 FPS.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2015, 06:27.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Night Operations Next Month
15. Re: Battlefield 4 Night Operations Next Month Aug 25, 2015, 13:40 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:35:
Has anyone seen this trick in BF and other similar games where players eject out of a jet, kill their follower, then land back in the plane? I've seen a bunch of looping gifs on Reddit showing players pulling off this difficult move. Is there a name for this?

What's funny is that I was one of the first to do it in BF1942, and then again in the DC mod. It's actually pretty common in Planetside 2. If you're looking for a name, it's called the Dead Man's Switch.

(that's not the PS2 term for it, but it's what we, "the originators," referred to it as)

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2015, 13:46.

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
100. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 18:59 NewMaxx

Hey, they're still doing a lot better than the Phantom console, right?  

News Comments > On Trine 3's Length and Future
13. Re: On Trine 3's Length and Future Aug 22, 2015, 22:40 NewMaxx

Slashman wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 21:02:
Frozenbyte are not a new studio. They've been around. Why would they budget so poorly for something like this?

The fact that they point to needing three times as much to make the game as long as they wanted to is pretty telling. 15 million isn't a huge amount for a game these days and while I have no doubt that the "3D" design pushed costs higher, they admit that at 5.4 million it cost triple of Trine 2. That means they needed a budget almost TEN TIMES higher to go from "2D" to "3D." I don't really buy that.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Delayed
11. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Delayed Aug 19, 2015, 06:54 NewMaxx

Slick wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 03:23:
they changed stuff? if "stuff" is code for "everything" then colour me interested

I definitely didn't mean everything. More like basics, kill speed, mechanics, defense and health values. Things of that nature. Very much critical to any real player but they are perfecting a very certain type of play. It's definitely not the Rainbow Six of old.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Delayed
3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Delayed Aug 18, 2015, 17:49 NewMaxx

I don't think anybody was surprised by this. Those who were in testing saw some glaring issues and Ubisoft actually made some significant changes, it was clear that balance and gameplay weren't nearly ready for release.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
5. Re: Quote of the Day Aug 17, 2015, 13:31 NewMaxx

Dying Light is incredible in co-op. I played the entire way through with my cousin and we're about to do New Game Plus with a friend of mine who will be on New Game. You can mix and match difficulties thankfully, it's going to be a blast. Really some of the best co-op memories in recent history for both of us, hope to get a few more out of it with the expansion pack!  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Aug 16, 2015, 20:15 NewMaxx

Acleacius wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 18:03:
Isn't VoIP peer to peer, making it unsecured?

Peer to peer can actually be more secure than traditional (client-server) models. I say "can be" because it's largely up to the application on how well it's implemented. The idea that traditional voice systems are more secure is a bit outdated. The problem is, there's been this culture where "peer-to-peer" instantly means insecure despite the fact that properly supported protocols are more secure than what they are replacing. Effective systems exist throughout enterprise, you just don't hear about it because they work.

I haven't looked at all into Curse's system. I will have to, and will certainly report back on that in the future with my findings.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Aug 15, 2015, 19:16 NewMaxx

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 18:39:
So their description is still utter bullshit. 9 sensors is not the same as 9 axes. And I'll be damned if I can see how magnetometers are of the slightest value in this, unless they plan games that include metal detectors.

I didn't actually see it anywhere, I just have a background in robotics and when someone says a "9-axis sensor" they usually mean 3x3x3. The magnetometer could be used for measuring absolute orientation, GPS, and as a method of interacting with other devices (i.e., magnetic strength could be used to determine distances between objects). I didn't read anything about this controller but my assumption would be one possible usage would be a "virtual reality" type game based on realistic landscape.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Aug 15, 2015, 16:59 NewMaxx

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 13:27:
9-axis motion control sensor, really?

I'm skeptical, too, in terms of how useful it'll be. As far as the axes go, it's a 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, and 3-axis compass (magnetometer).

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 15, 2015, 14:15 NewMaxx

Competition is always good, but it's hard not to think of "beware the Greeks, even bearing gifts."  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 14, 2015, 23:38 NewMaxx

For those curious about what's so secret about the trade pact, it's not a huge deal. I know everybody loves to bash the "behind close doors" mentality on it but the reason they are hiding it is because they believe the average person won't understand it and will overreact. Both are true.

Here's the lo-down, which I feel safe posting to this relatively quiet site: we're making concessions but expecting some in return. The general idea is that we have more say over the regulations applied to foreign (read: Chinese) companies and have more power to drive a wedge between the state government and these businesses. Essentially, it gives us a way to make sure safety standards and human rights are respected. In return, we're basically selling the (our) average citizen out.

That last part is where people would flip if they read the bill. These are the same people who cry out against Chinese companies doing whatever they want, poor safety standards, human rights violations, etc., but they're not willing to trade any of their property or rights to gain that for the foreign workers. They expect Chinese companies to be culpable with nothing in return but "our business."

There, I've explained it. It's definitely a case where our government thinks it knows better than us and it is willing to go to extremes to get it done. Exactly like Obamacare (The Affordable Healthcare Act) in premise, just for trade. Both had secrets, this one just has more because the results will have profound effects on global markets.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 11, 2015, 15:19 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 14:15:
Yeah, I sometimes feel like I'm in 90s USENET with the outdated big bad Micro$oft bullshit. Some of the stuff people say Microsoft is going to do, people have been saying for 20+ years.

What's REALLY funny is reading these comments from people (not necessarily on here, I mean on forums at large) who willingly give up even more information on a daily basis with their pacifier-like Android smartphone whilst checking in on their social media. I gave a very antagonistic reply the last time privacy concerns came up on here and I won't do that this time but, really, Google and Facebook treat it like a commodity while Microsoft at least tries to make a better OS experience out of it and yet all I see is miles of Windows 10 hate. I could write multiple books on why privacy is a thing of the past but getting back to the article at hand...

It states 200 million people use ad-blocking software. Not a truly huge number yet, certainly not if you count mobile devices.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 19:47 NewMaxx

descender wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 15:58:
EDIT: The reviewer that tested the 3 OS's in that article apparently has never heard of diminishing returns. Testing them with that beefy of a computer was really pointless. Oh if I spend $3k on a machine you can't tell the speed difference between them? Great! /s

The reviewer isn't much sensible at all. He measures Windows 10 as having the slowest boot time but admits "surely these results will vary depending on hardware used, configuration and state of the operating system after months of use, patching and third party apps taking its inevitable toll." Well, yeah, plus the entire thing where the OS needs to be operated a while to take advantage of elements involved in quick booting. Likewise he has Windows 10 being the fastest at sleep/hibernation returns which completely ignores the fact that modern CPU power states are different; for example, new Intel chips don't even truly hibernate anymore.

The synthetic benchmarks chosen are all irrelevant by today's standards. Applications chosen for performance vary from those that aren't relevant - there are far better browser tests, but those tell you more about the CPU than the OS - and those that are reliant on the hard drive or other elements of the system more than the OS. In fact the only relevant tests in the entire review are the gaming ones, but then he goes and uses games that get no benefit from different Windows versions (for ex, BF4 notably does better under Win 8.1 than 7).

Just an overall horrible article. Take it from me, someone who rigorously tests OS for workstation, enterprise, and VM use, this review is just about completely useless for anybody who actually is considering the OS from a performance perspective.

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Beta Keys?
2. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Beta Keys? Aug 10, 2015, 11:52 NewMaxx

Well, you know, there have been sites that joined in key giveaways that simply collected your information. The ESO beta for example had a fake site or two that then used the information the user put in for registration - user, password, and other personal information - to later hack into accounts. Not saying this is the case here, I just advise people be very careful about what information they put out there in general. Standard security policies apply.  

836 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo