Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 755 (Graduate)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 24, 2015, 18:55 NewMaxx

AMD is likely to get bought out. Right now Samsung is a strong contender, although in the past I suggested perhaps NVIDIA. NVIDIA's strategy, however, has sharply diverted from that path over the last few years. My money's on Samsung for a variety of reasons; they have their own fabrication capabilities that can match or beat Intel, they wouldn't face anti-trust issues that NVIDIA and Intel would, they already make their own versions of mobile SOCs (effectively APUs), they have the cash and leverage, and it fits their current market strategy (plus, AMD and Samsung are already in a cooperative agreement). They'll wait for the right moment where there is a convergence between low AMD stock value and low competition for a buyout. This is still a while out, so put away your pocketbook for now.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 20, 2015, 01:36 NewMaxx

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 19, 2015, 14:11:
North Carolina is suing the federal government for interfering with the state's right to interfere with the local municipalities' rights ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullification_Crisis

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
49. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 20:37 NewMaxx

bhcompy wrote on May 19, 2015, 19:16:
And they have a choice? This was the point of buying PhysX. No more discrete PHysX cards, now everything is run through nV GPUs only or done in emulation. The only other player is Havok, and Havok doesn't have dedicated hardware tied to it, nor does it have the resources to provide the level of "support" that nV does.

It's easy to blame the developers when anti-competitive practices make it really easy for the developers to choose PhysX over Havok. Like I said, this is exactly what Creative did to Aureal, and it completely destroyed the discrete PC audio market(which, apparently, is a lesson most of you kids weren't around to learn).

You are completely correct about Creative. I've stated my views on them before but they really did rape the market and it is a fair comparison you make. Audio, after a certain point reached a long time ago, didn't really involve much innovation. Creative simply cornered the market with anti-competitive behavior and found a way to get way more money out of it than is deserves. I've long modified drivers for other cards, including on-board audio, that makes a $5 chip functionally identical to their entry-level $50 cards, cards that really rely on software processing anyway. It's a joke.

I say the comparison is fair because I also programmed with PhysX before NVIDIA purchased them and it was always a scam. You know how it's trendy for people to make Web 2.0+ companies with the hope of selling them off for far above their value to Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, etc? That was the entire business plan for PhysX, I kid you not. They just tried to grab some patents and make some bullshit hardware so they'd get bought out, and it was a good match for NVIDIA because the discrete GPU market is a 2-horse show which is perfect for such antics. It's a continuation of what they did with 3dfx.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2015, 18:37 NewMaxx

I recall recently that, in the real world, many African Americans were taking offense at the use of the term "thugs" in relation to recent riots. I also recall that there was a recent article criticizing The Witcher series (book and games) for not including people of color. So I was quite amused when at the very first tavern you have one of the prime characters refer to people as "thugs." Wait, what!? There's no black people in The Witcher!!!

Shows you how ridiculous it's gotten that I can even jokingly suggest that connection.

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
45. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 18:28 NewMaxx

Freddie wrote on May 18, 2015, 18:06:
Bethesda are doing the triple whammy at this E3. Doom, Fallout 4 & Dishonored 2

They definitely have something serious planned. It's their first time hosting E3 and they have the entire first day (night) to themselves. Doom 4 is a certainty, Dishonored 2 is widely-rumored (leak), but Fallout 4 is an unknown. They are being extremely tight-lipped about it but the two main complications are one, the engine, which if the game is announced here will likely be a Skyrim (Creation Engine) rehash rather a new one and two, the paid mods fiasco might have altered their announcement plans for it.

40. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 17:33 NewMaxx

peteham wrote on May 18, 2015, 17:21:
True about the monster closets, but then, the world had moved on and already given us Half-Life by the time Doom 3 came out. I don't think it was unfair to expect more.

The irony being, of course, that now people are paying for kickstarters, remakes, and clones with old school mechanics. Timing is everything, as they say, and Doom 3 was the wrong game in the wrong place (to twist a HL2 quote). I remember I worked for ATI back then (or soon after, really) and was happily mocking Carmack and boosting HL2 because the Source engine and the HL2 game was just the right game in the right place.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Rising Tide Announced
11. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Rising Tide Announced May 18, 2015, 17:08 NewMaxx

More like Rising Turd, am I right? This site is slowly turning me into a troll.

Looks good, I liked BE enough to beat it once but...maybe I'll do a co-op match at some point.

28. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 16:42 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on May 18, 2015, 16:15:
this is their newer engine, Rage 4.

Yay. No SLI, no sale.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Next Month
3. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? May 18, 2015, 12:26 NewMaxx

CythrawL wrote on May 18, 2015, 11:50:
Well that depends... Bards Tale 3 was a serious deviation from Bards Tale one and two.

I would rather it go back to how the originals were as I thought 3, while good and all wasn't really a Bards Tale game to me, more like a arcade RPG with witty writing.

So much wrong with this I don't know where to begin.

There were three The Bard's Tale games in the original series, all very similar, not just two. Tales of the Unknown, Volume I, The Bard's Tale II, and The Bard's Tale III. There was never another sequel per se, that is there was no The Bard's Tale IV. It was simply "The Bard's Tale" which was NOT the name given to the first game in the series (which, again, was "Tales of the Unknown, Volume I: The Bard's Tale"). In either case this one, which IS called The Bard's Tale IV, is specifically named that to indicate it will be in the original series of games; and, yes, the last game, which wasn't in that series, was not named with a numeral to indicate it was always expected to be separate.

News Comments > Overwatch Video
24. Re: Overwatch Video May 14, 2015, 13:58 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on May 14, 2015, 12:13:
Cool looking game. My days of playing online FPS are over though, getting too slow to keep up, and getting wrecked repeatedly is never fun.

I know exactly what you mean. The online FPS I play the most is Planetside 2 which isn't as twitchy as most games of that genre but more importantly the gunplay rewards awareness and control over raw speed if you know what you're doing. More twitchy online FPS (the bulk of the most popular) make me feel like I'm playing PVP Hotline Miami without the puzzle elements. To be fair though, if you're willing to take on the appropriate class and role you can be viable regardless of speed in most games, especially team-based ones (the majority). The guys I game with regularly are almost all a decade younger than me and I generally fall into a support/leadership role which works quite well.

News Comments > Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Free Content
10. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Free Content May 13, 2015, 15:23 NewMaxx

nin wrote on May 13, 2015, 15:22:
Different team, different kickstarter.

Right, which is why the reviews have been relatively negative. I didn't even give it a second glance once I saw it was a different team. Looked like they were trying to bank on the success of the other game, I mean.

News Comments > Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Free Content
8. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Free Content May 13, 2015, 15:16 NewMaxx

I briefly checked this over the other day but correct me if I'm wrong, this wasn't made by the original (Harebrained Schemes) team.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2015, 15:39 NewMaxx

If you don't use an appropriate charger and cable you can cause issues with a variety of products, including phones and tablets. The reason is that it can confuse the battery controller which causes all sorts of unusual behavior. This only happens with fast charging. The last ditch fix is to disconnect and then reconnect the battery, although obviously this is not possible on all devices. Hard resets work in most cases, though. I only mention it because people like to buy cheap chargers and cables on eBay and the like that supposedly support fast charging but in reality are often off-spec enough to cause issues with the controller over time.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule
42. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 13:11 NewMaxx

The Tuesday/Thursday habit comes from the fact shipments used to arrive at gaming stores on Monday and Wednesday nights giving time for staff to stock the shelves. It also happens to be the best days in general for support, which is why everything from operating systems to MMOs patch on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It remains relevant in the digital age since you have pre-loading but also 0-day patching; pushing all that to a Friday/weekend would overload even the most robust servers.

Getting back to the game, meh. Not a big fan of the series. Never really understood the affection for it, but then again I don't get why people find Game of Thrones entertaining. "Adult" for me generally means not having gratuitous sex and violence, but hey, if it encourages people to read or study history it's fine by me. I know a lot of you guys are dying for this release so enjoy yourselves! I'm sinking back into my adventure games.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 10, 2015, 14:42 NewMaxx

For those curious on here about how long SSDs retain data without power in the "consumer" situation, it's over a year. As a side note it is a good policy to clone and re-apply an image of any SSD drives once a year.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2015, 22:08 NewMaxx

I remember when she was named CEO and my dad and I had completely different reactions. He was head of PR for a relatively large company (and later would get into politics before retiring) and he thought she was great; I, on the other hand (computer engineer), thought she was a terrible choice. That should really help illustrate that she's a PR person. The reality is women tend to be better at PR (that's not sexist, it's the truth if you look at the numbers), and those skills do help in politics but a president requires leadership and vision. She simply doesn't have either.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 4, 2015, 16:35 NewMaxx

panbient wrote on May 4, 2015, 15:44:
Except the anxiety aspect is not at all specific to pro-gaming. ANY professional role that has a competitive element is going to be prone to anxiety.

Very true, although there are some differences as traditional sports tend to involve an element of public entertainment (now becoming common with things like DOTA on ESPN) and personal notoriety. A pro gamer (back in the day, as I was suggesting) lived within a relatively private niche and didn't worry about a huge Super Bowl audience every tournament or sex tapes leaking on the Internet. Most traditional sports stars are both talented and have a dose of exhibitionism (they are performers). It didn't really pay well, either, so the anxiety I talk about it more about acceptance within a relatively small but elite group of people whereby your self-worth gets tied to performance in a game you are overly devoted to, after a while it feels pretty constraining.

*edit* Quboid quotes "skill is talent under pressure" - which is pretty valid. I personally was great under pressure I just started questioning the whole enterprise. From the article, "To be honest, I didnít expect how much sponsorship work that I would have to do," which is a good point. Yes, it's something that should be obvious but some people aren't cut out for that when all they really want to do is play games.

12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 4, 2015, 16:27 NewMaxx

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 4, 2015, 15:27:
Maybe the anxiety aspect is why so many pro gamers take anti-anxiety and adhd "medications" like adderall to improve their game and maintain focus. Legal speed.

Such medications are actually used quite a lot by pro gamers and the side effects cause additional problems.

(not admitting or denying I took any myself, but I certainly knew and know many who do)

This comment was edited on May 4, 2015, 16:48.

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 4, 2015, 12:40 NewMaxx

I did some pro gaming (or what passed for it back then) as a teen and I'd say the biggest obstacle for me was anxiety. Maintaining a certain level of play and people expecting you to always be that good really wore me down. It got to the point (pretty rapidly, I might add) that I wasn't enjoying those games anymore and that to me seemed pretty stupid. I understand that money is a pretty big draw and that most pros in other fields probably face a similar apathy. I guess they say that the ideal job is one you love because it's no longer a job, so you would figure gaming would be great, except that it sucks the fun out of it after a while and it becomes just another job.  

News Comments > Origin and AU Refunds
9. Re: Origin and AU Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 16:47 NewMaxx

It's rulings like this that cause games to be more expensive in some countries than others - one reason of many - but yet I'm sure we'll hear the same old "it should be the same price everywhere" from armchair economists.  

755 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo