Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 555 (Apprentice)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 14:18 NewMaxx

Oh, man, had this argument with my cousin sooooooo many times over the years. We had regular LAN parties (2-3 times a year) over the course of 15 years or so, and pretty much every time we'd broach the subject.

Usually I'd have a bunch of games set up on all the machines and everybody would have to wait for him to change the keys painstakingly (and of course, sometimes the game wouldn't save properly or something and it would reset, or it turned out his choices weren't ideal for that particular game until after testing, etc). He's as stubborn as I am so he would always go through it, each and every time.

My argument was as Blue puts it, it's just easier to use the default keys (or a similar rendition of such) so you're familiar and ready to play with it moving forward. Keep in mind I play tons of co-op games and always had LAN parties (there were some years where I had more days playing co-op on LAN than not) and was always trying out every game, and it's just ridiculous to wast everybody's time with the nonsense of changing every key. What's worse is I had shared machines so the very next time someone else who reset to defaults, then the next night the original player might want them all set back...it's just a mess.

Now if I were someone who only played by myself, and the only player on that machine, sure...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
109. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 16, 2014, 08:39 NewMaxx

You guys do realize Microsoft has the 2nd largest cloud infrastructure in the world, and the 1st in terms of growth, right? It's like people don't even keep up with industry realities or something. Don't underestimate Microsoft.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 15, 2014, 22:00 NewMaxx

He's not wrong. I've been saying this shit for a while now, Microsoft damn well knew this a while ago. I'm just surprised he actually got something even partially correct for once!  

30. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 11:43 NewMaxx

Verno wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 11:37:
Oh I can think of many others who could have bought Minecraft and would probably do better with it. Microsofts track record with purchases in the gaming industry isn't exactly stellar. I think it's more accurate to say that Microsoft was just the only company willing to overpay for it.

I mentioned in the last two Minecraft purchase threads that a few weeks ago, LEGO management basically stated their regret over not having "invented" it first. Then they went on to explain their alternative service. If you read between the lines that means they probably shopped around for Mojang (or were even approached by Mojang) and were either already too invested or were unwilling to pay the premium. Chances are, you're right in saying MS was the highest bidder.

27. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 11:37 NewMaxx

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 11:31:
I actually really respect Notch for this decision. 1) knowing yourself well enough and respecting your creation enough to hand it over to someone that actually wants to manage it, and 2) getting out while you could still get paid like a MF'er. So many have lost billions by holding on too long.

MS was really the only company that could buy Minecraft. If handled correctly (we'll see about that), MS could get a good return on this one.

I agree (although we're likely in the minority), although I was hoping Notch would stay a while to smooth the transition and use the money as a creative license. I understand his choice, though, but it does make me worry a bit more about the future of the franchise. From his perspective it has already been out of his hands in many ways and when you consider the amount of press and criticism he has gotten for pretty much any comment, it's hard not to side with him. Some developers have the right attitude to handle that and be forceful with their opinions, others don't, and Notch is definitely of the latter type.

I hope Microsoft uses it intelligently and does indeed expand their mobile presence, because I would like more of a choice than Google or Apple in the future. I have some Windows tablets and love how productive I can be with them, I want to see more of what they can do with and outside Surface.

News Comments > MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow?
32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2014, 14:55 NewMaxx

Just for the record, Microsoft is buying Mojang, not Minecraft. Notch wouldn't sell if he had to give up any significant amount of creative control. The idea that MS would swoop in and destroy the community or the modding is hilarious. Don't get me wrong, MS has done some dumb shit in the past, but to jump to that conclusion is ridiculous. The new CEO has no interest in killing that scene. Their money is MUCH more likely to come through servers - Minecraft in the cloud. Mojang (and Minecraft) would allow them a presence even outside their small Microsoft Phone market share.

I'm just pulling this out of my ass. Oh, wait, the analysts agree with me: "This also appears to be consistent with (Microsoft) CEO Satya Nadella’s mobile and cloud strategy."

30. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 14, 2014, 14:40 NewMaxx

Some statistics to consider...

Mobile phones sold: 1 billion a year (1.7bn by 2017)
Market share for Microsoft: 2.4 to 3.3% from 2012 to 2013
Avg phone cost (retail): $337 worldwide, $531 NA

0.9% 1-yr MS share increase value: ($337)(1bn)(0.9%) = ~$3bn

2.5bn, as you can see, is reasonable even if Minecraft only increases their mobile market share by 1%. It doesn't matter that it's not profit, market share in terms of revenue is a good indicator of overall value when you include in services, app commission, etc.

10. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 14, 2014, 11:33 NewMaxx

Sho wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 11:13:
The consensus by commentators goes like this: Minecraft is to kids today what LEGO was to many of us.

Yep. LEGO itself has expressed regret over it, I linked the article last time and here it is again. Note when the article was posted. Now, I'm not saying this was basically a "Minecraft is on portfolio radars now," but...okay yeah that is what I'm saying. Microsoft likely saw this interview/announcement as a signal to put in their bid, especially after the OR/Facebook row with Notch.

News Comments > Trion Worlds DDoSed
2. Re: Trion Worlds DDoSed Sep 14, 2014, 11:24 NewMaxx

Refer to my recent post about this kind of thing.  

News Comments > MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers?
31. Re: MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers? Sep 14, 2014, 08:44 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 16:47:
HoSpanky wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 16:33:
Can't work well, no way. Steam streaming has trouble with 1080p over a wired gigabit network, they're not gonna pull off 60fps/1080p over the Internet.
Huh, streaming 1200x1920P is flawless for me. My router is a good 5 years old too. Might want to look into that.

Have to agree...I've been streaming 1080p over WIRELESS, and that's on 2.4 GHz band, too (although I can use 5 for close range). I recently purchased a cheap refurb router ($13) to act as a wireless repeater specifically for this purpose, combined with cheap ($25) powerline adapters, so I can stream wirelessly outside! I am only able to do 720p outside with wireless at that range currently (using it as a repeater w/o the powerlines gives you 1/2 speed). We'll see how well it works when I can use max speed, which should be 25-30 Mbit anyway.

Keep in mind that there's a big difference between streaming 1080p and streaming 1080p @ 60 FPS. I don't use it for FPS but if I did I'd just wire in more powerline adapters for it, which manage 60-80 Mbit, one would hope 1 FPS per Mbit isn't unreasonable. Again, if my wireless plan works out, that means 25-30 FPS for me outside, which I consider acceptable for strategy games and the like...you would definitely need wired for FPS @ 60 FPS though.

Also keep in mind that streaming performance is based not just on the network but also the machines. Both client and server should have native h.264 encoding with cores to spare (FX-6300 or better, i5 quad or better for server, quad Atom or better for client). If you're using an i3 for server and dual-core pentium/celeron for client, for example, you're gonna have a bad time (cue meme image).

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2014, 08:51.

News Comments > AU Game Price Inflation
12. Re: AU Game Price Inflation Sep 12, 2014, 17:36 NewMaxx

Lot of reasons for price disparity that aren't always obvious on the surface, the world of finance is not nearly as simple as the armchair economist would have you believe. A large part of it is the legal logistics, which are distinct in every country, especially when it comes to new (read: digital distribution) technology.  

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
19. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 11:33 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 10:30:
Why would I want to pay money to play a game less? Weird...

That is what is fundamentally wrong with most F2P titles and why their game design often suffers. If you're designing a game around a profit founded on making people want to play less, you really have to wonder at the inherent paradox. Then we have DLC, where you pay more to play more, but it means you potentially paid more to play less with the base game. After a while you start to realize the connections between the game industry and politics somewhere in there, and if democracy is the crowdfunding of the latter than one must assume it is the future for the former.

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
146. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 18:27 NewMaxx

Those talking about LEGO are probably referring to the recent news article...

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-08/20/lego-fusion

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
71. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 13:59 NewMaxx

Minecraft. Oculus Rift. Kinect. Put two and two together here, people. Microsoft is going to put this shit into 3D!  

News Comments > Stardock Publishing AOE Vets' Game
2. Re: RE: Follow up Sep 9, 2014, 22:09 NewMaxx

Bruce Shelley is the shit.  

News Comments > Transverse Announced
9. Re: Transverse Announced Sep 9, 2014, 22:04 NewMaxx

Overon wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 17:51:
Oh boy. Piranha Games Inc have pumped MWO and they will be dumping it soon without delivering on the promis

As much as I wish it weren't true, I have to agree with you on this. My very first thought on reading this announcement was exactly that. I never paid anything into MWO (thankfully) but I did play it a while and followed the community. I had considered paying in but after seeing things like the Clans...it was pretty clear what they were doing.

News Comments > Next Total War Reveal This Month
10. Re: Next Total War Reveal This Month Sep 9, 2014, 22:01 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 18:36:
Ps.: Far more likely is a off-shoot into Chinese history or Medieval 3.

Warring States through the Three Kingdoms would be pretty awesome, could possibly involve the 16 Kingdoms as well.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2014, 20:15 NewMaxx

Windows 2000 and Windows Vista were actually more popular than Windows XP and Windows 7, respectively, among power users. It wasn't until Windows XP SP2 and Windows 7 SP1, again respectively, that this changed. In fact, Windows 7 (and XP) were made to be much better for the common user which is why they took off despite not being greatly superior products. Most businesses are well behind on OS for a variety of reasons, they are never adopting cutting edge things, so general popularity really has nothing to do with that. On a smaller/local scale obviously people rely on their neighborhood expert but I'd say the average person is more affected by "popular computing" news and sites (which purport to be sourced from power users, but rarely are) than actual power users.  

News Comments > WBIE TMs WB Play
9. Re: WBIE TMs WB Play Sep 7, 2014, 18:58 NewMaxx

http://xkcd.com/927/

Not exactly the same thing but it sure feels that way. I don't even buy a lot of games anymore and I have at least five digital distribution platforms on my computer (Steam, Desura, Capsule, Origin, Uplay, and I might be forgetting one or two).

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 7, 2014, 17:01 NewMaxx

sport
noun

: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

555 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo