Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 419 (Amateur)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 18, 2014, 09:12 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 13:20:
People still play chess?

Go is far superior, far more tactics, far more social, and isn't broken by AI

Interestingly, China's foreign policy is largely influenced by the concepts of the game Go.

(I read a ton of history books and I like to share facts :p)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 2D Prince of Persia Rumor
5. Re: 2D Prince of Persia Rumor Apr 18, 2014, 09:03 NewMaxx

Hmm...they mention the Rayman side-scrolling runners a lot in that excerpt...going to take a wild guess and say it'll play like that more than the original game.  

News Comments > Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details
12. Re: Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details Apr 14, 2014, 01:19 NewMaxx

Quboid wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 17:18:
I think it's the deepest because 1UPT (1 unit per tile) makes combat much more involving.

The combination of that and hexes makes it very tactical, which is the way it should be.

News Comments > Watch Dogs PC Graphics
32. Re: Watch Dogs PC Graphics Apr 12, 2014, 23:52 NewMaxx

It's Hacker's Creed. Of course it has a storyline.  

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed?
20. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed? Apr 12, 2014, 20:17 NewMaxx

Well the professor was kind of a loopy guy (he taught theoretical physics) and was the type to play video games so I think he appreciated it. Also, he liked to assign open-ended essay questions for his exams, like "interpret Bell's theorem in your own words" (or something along those lines). So I didn't mean to imply that's why I got an A, but it certainly didn't hurt. Also, I quoted the game in another class and the teacher got pissed off when he found out it was a game reference and docked me to a B, so ("not relevant")...it's hard for me to forget Alpha Centauri since it played a role in my early collegiate career. (it actually got me interested in science and I changed over from a sociology major)  

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed?
18. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed? Apr 12, 2014, 19:32 NewMaxx

Alpha Centauri is one of the greatest games ever made. I actually used a quote from it for an essay in quantum physics (I have a physics degree), "Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded." I believe I utilized it when talking about Bell's theorem. Needless to say, I got an A, and I have the suspicion that my professor knew what I was referencing.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Invasion Update
3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Invasion Update Apr 9, 2014, 02:15 NewMaxx

Great game when I played it, I was one of the launch guys. Had a lot of fun with the storylines and the first few group instances. No regrets paying for it in that respect. Long-term title? No way. It's a great way to full your KotOR needs on the cheap, though.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 3, 2014, 23:14 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:49:
Glad Newegg isn't taking the easy way out. I love that they're asking the judge to let them recoup legal fees too. They're like the Justice League of the web.

Yeah, very glad to hear of this result.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
26. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 3, 2014, 23:08 NewMaxx

PropheT wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 22:43:
They're very different games and will appeal to different people.

Exactly. Wildstar is downright perfect for a certain type of player but ESO has more general appeal. This is unsurprising given that they both targeted specific audiences. The ESO devs have even specifically addressed this when they made API changes in late beta. I'm personally glad for it, I'm not interested in that more hardcore crowd that will adapt well to Wildstar's grindfest. I honestly want something more immersive where I can just take my time and enjoy myself...

(I also played SWTOR and GW2, both at launch for many months, and both had their strong points but F2P/B2P does indeed nickel and dime you to death)

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
15. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 3, 2014, 20:11 NewMaxx

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:58:
This is why services like Game Ranger exist. Look there for support for many of the games that Gamespy is dropping

QFT!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 3, 2014, 17:25 NewMaxx

KS wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 14:18:
Where is the interview?

Here

...not much of an "interview," indeed.

Here's hoping Everquest Next tries some new things.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 3, 2014, 17:24 NewMaxx

*double*  

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
2. Re: Saturday Interviews Mar 30, 2014, 01:11 NewMaxx

Doma wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 13:23:
This was a great read. Recommended

It was a good read, but the guy does seem to have some issues.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 29, 2014, 22:54 NewMaxx

PHJF wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 19:45:
Now that they are obsolete?

Exactly, lol.

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
67. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 29, 2014, 04:33 NewMaxx

You would refuse 2 billion? Be honest with yourself.

You act as if they personally got two billion. That's not how it works. They get respectable salaries and the rest goes to development. That being said, I would of course leap at the chance to make one of my engineering dreams come true. One must ask if there are not alternatives, though, as a deal with Facebook is the very definition of Faustian.

Also, what happens if your argument changes a little bit. Say...would it still work so well as rhetoric if the sum were 1 billion? 100 million? 10 million? 1 million? Where do you draw the line? Are you suggesting no other companies would offer, say, 1 billion? Is money the only determining factor? Don't be glib.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2014, 04:58.

News Comments > Titanfall Cheaters Must Play With Themselves
20. Re: Titanfall Cheaters Must Play With Themselves Mar 26, 2014, 22:22 NewMaxx

It's a good idea (and funny) but it can backfire. Respawn needs to be on top of monitoring the cheating server in order to benefit from the cheater playground (where cheats could be developed more easily than on live) since it does consume resources.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details
47. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 20:25 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 19:37:
If they haven't played an MMO even in the era of free-to-play, what makes you think they are going to start with a box cost + monthly fee + item store MMO?

You're mixing and matching arguments. My response about the type of player relating to the type of game is separate from the subscription issue. For the former, it's simply a matter of the player base being largely console-based and largely fans of the single-player series. I actually agree about the subscription...I argued for a hybrid pricing model (check my Blue's post history on ESO). If you want to combine the arguments, then it's obvious the MMO veterans will have little impact on the game's success, which is all that I was arguing. I also stated my personal preference for a game that didn't swing towards that play-style since there are superior alternatives already in the market.

As far as how I feel about the success rate goes, I used the term "coin flip" earlier in this thread.

46. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 20:20 NewMaxx

Redmask wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 20:01:
"Subscription" - People need to remember that this is a multi-platform MMO. Nothing of this scale has even really been tried before

Actually it has, Final Fantasy 11 and Final Fantasy 14 are both multiplatform MMORPGs.

Not to mention Phantasy Star Online...that's why I said "of this scale" (FFXI had around 500k players on average IIRC, ESO is shooting for 10 times that)

42. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 19:19 NewMaxx

Bard wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 19:06:
and not looking to pay additional monthly fees to play something inferior.

The monthly sub is a hard sell, I agree. I do intend to give them a month to see how they handle the game after release and work from there. I paid $60 for a digital Imperial edition...that's nothing if I get a month's worth of content out of it, and I know I will (50+ and 50++ will keep me busy). I paid $90 in all for GW2 and got 3 months out of it and was very satisfied, and three months of this would be $90...so I have no problem with that. Long-term subbing is a different story.

Then again, it's pretty common for people in WoW to up-and-down sub based on new content...I don't see a problem with that.

41. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 19:14 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 19:06:
Elder Scrolls is following in TOR's footsteps

Contrast this with Wildstar's approach of minimal hype and targeted appeal to disenfranchised WoW raiders and people longing for vanilla WoW.

I don't see anyone who considers themselves an MMO player enjoying ESO in the long run.

Look how Bioware handled Mass Effect 3's ending with regard to player opinion. That is how they handled TOR, and why it failed. ESO is not even launched yet and the community has ramped up the conversation to a very significant level. This, to me, is a critical difference, despite similar design decisions.

Wildstar, as I said in my post below, is focused on a particular part of the MMO crowd. A part, I might add, that already has tons of options and I really don't want driving ESO. ZOE has already made it clear in multiple statements that it won't design the game for that crowd and explained that the API changes reflect that decision. That IS A GOOD THING. ESO players DO NOT want that "MMO player" crowd you define as being the majority, being the vocal minority (since they are a minority). If they want that style of play and a new MMO, they have Wildstar.

*edit*
For clarification on this, I just want to point out that the majority of ESO players will be new to MMOs, so trying to suggest a lack of attraction to traditional MMO players is a death-knell is a bit presumptuous.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2014, 19:24.

419 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo