Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peters

Real Name Peters   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname elefunk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 2, 2007, 14:55
Total Comments 1101 (Pro)
User ID 41586

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hard Reset Demo
8. Re: Hard Reset Demo Sep 7, 2011, 16:29 elefunk

I mean, it uses Steam, so there is DRM for those of you who still actually care about games requiring Steam, but for most of us who are perfectly fine with that, there is no *other* DRM that actually intrudes on your experience.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Bastion DLC Plans
3. Re: No Bastion DC Plans Sep 4, 2011, 14:46 elefunk

There is such an incredible amount of content and variety in the game, this isn't a bad thing at all. Easily worth the $15. Already played it for 6+ hours, haven't beaten it once yet, but I can imagine going back for a second play through using the New Game+ stuff.  

News Comments > Team Bondi Offices Close
3. Re: Team Bondi Offices Close Sep 2, 2011, 12:26 elefunk

Sucks terribly for the horribly mistreated employees, but it's nice to see McNamara go down in flames.  

News Comments > Antichamber (Formerly Hazard) Video
1. Re: Antichamber (Formerly Hazard) Video Aug 29, 2011, 17:54 elefunk

I wasn't quite as dazzled as Totilo, but this was definitely an interesting game. Actually the first one I happened to play at PAX.

The entire game takes place in one huge environment, so it probably won't take too long to fully explore, but I still can't wait to buy it next year.

News Comments > Firefall Beta Begins
2. Re: Firefall Beta Begins Aug 29, 2011, 17:52 elefunk

This was an awesome game at PAX, couldn't get enough of it. Basically an MMO Borderlands with the option to drop into TF2-style PvP at any point you wish.

With jet packs.

Hopefully I get a beta invite soon, really want to see how it shapes up in the end.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Using Steamworks
4. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Using Steamworks Aug 29, 2011, 15:13 elefunk

briktal wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 15:10:
Kitkoan wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 15:06:
This should be interesting. CoD using Steamworks, BF3 using Origin. Both are large names but...

...MW2 and Black Ops also used Steamworks? Some people seem to be treating this as a big new development, especially with Steam vs Origin but it's more of an expected confirmation than anything.
Yeah, it's confusing how stories like these always turn out.

If anything, it blatantly exposes people who rant and rave on message boards about things they don't actually know anything about or even otherwise care about. Anyone who actually cares about this stuff would know that Call of Duty has used Steamworks for almost 3 years now, so this story isn't surprising in the least, and trying to paint this as a deliberate move specifically motivated to counter Battlefield 3 is pretty silly.

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham City?
15. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham City? Aug 27, 2011, 21:16 elefunk

Yosemite Sam wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 20:14:
nin wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 15:46:
Crossing my fingers! That would make the difference between a pc or console purchase.

This is a console game for me regardless. Just like RTS and FPS games are best played on a PC, games like this are best played on a console, IMO.
What?

If you use a 360 controller on PC, the game plays exactly the same. However you'll also get 60fps, higher resolutions, a lower price, and all the other usual stuff.

News Comments > Eidos Montreal on Deus Ex: Human Revolution AI
8. Re: Eidos Montreal on Deus Ex: Human Revolution AI Aug 24, 2011, 12:33 elefunk

Creston wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 11:27:
Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 11:07:
Anyways loving the game, so happy that we finally got something that reminds me of less simplistic times in the gaming industry.

Amen. I just hope people will buy it, especially the PC version. They went through a shitload of trouble to make this a proper PC game (I doubt Nixxes worked cheap) and it may well be that if it doesn't sell well, nobody else will ever make this kind of effort again.

It's a great game. I wish I was home playing it right now.

*glares angrily at stupid work PC that keeps crashing the game.*

Creston
It looks like the game is selling pretty well, so far. Steam showed 30,000 peak concurrent players, which is right around what other successful PC games have shown recently. And the European release isn't until later in the week too, which should help that number out even more.

When you factor in everyone who bought the game, not everyone is going to play right on launch day, probably most others can only play for a couple hours max, and they're not all playing at the same time, so 30,000 concurrent players could easily translate to 100k-200k total sales so far.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched
25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 02:02 elefunk

Once again, this is a bug caused by weird hardware combinations *AND* old drivers. There is only so much you can put in your test matrix until it explodes into a huge, ridiculous amount of work to test for every single corner case caused by stupid/lazy customers.

For a bug like this, it would have required them to test not only every hardware combination out there, but people changing between multiple pieces of hardware and carelessly leaving behind old drivers, combined with not upgrading other old drivers.

Are some of you seriously suggesting you want Eidos wasting their time testing such incredibly niche scenarios instead of testing other aspects that affect more than 0.01% of their userbase?

No, of course not. For issues like this, Eidoes did and should have waited to fix it until they actually saw people complain about it.

20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 00:54 elefunk

Talisorn wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 23:33:
elefunk wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 22:43:
This bug is such a weird bug that I can't help but blame only the idiot customers who have this specific driver configuration. Old drivers from old video cards at the same time as a new video card?

Yeah. Those idiot who can't afford the latest and greatest hardware! Damn them to hell!
You realize having the latest and greatest hardware has literally nothing to do with this issue, right?

3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 23, 2011, 22:43 elefunk

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 22:28:
SWEET!! Zero-day patches! Good job publishers! Way to push your devs so hard they can't even fucking QA their unfinished products!
This bug is such a weird bug that I can't help but blame only the idiot customers who have this specific driver configuration. Old drivers from old video cards at the same time as a new video card? You're practically asking for issues.

Frankly it's pretty damn incredible that Eidos not only found this issue, but pushed out a fix for it on the day of the game's release.

News Comments > Serious Sam 3: BFE Delayed Until October; Steam Promotions
7. Re: Serious Sam 3: BFE Delayed Until October; Steam Promotions Aug 23, 2011, 15:57 elefunk

They announced that it'll be $40. So $36 for a pre-order, or $32 for a preorder if you own any other Serious Sam game on Steam.

Higher than the price of $30 or so I expected, but the preorder discounts are pretty nice at least.

News Comments > Only 24 Players in Battlefield 3 Team Deathmatch
37. Re: Only 24 Players in Battlefield 3 Team Deathmatch Aug 21, 2011, 13:45 elefunk

Vehicles are fucking stupid in team deathmatch. I can't believe that some people are actually pissed about this. Talk about whining just for the sake of whining.

If the game didn't even have deathmatch in the first place no one would care, but here, they've decided to properly design deathmatch by custom-tailoring maps to be better for the mode. OH THE HORROR.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer
48. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 17:57 elefunk

DangerDog wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 17:34:
There was a large number of people requesting the return to the "commo rose" type system from BF2 in the Alpha, people making up mock graphics overlaid on top of BF3 screenshots, hundreds of "me too" posts from people trying to get attention from DICE - who didn't interact at all on the forums. It's not going to happen though because it would disrupt the cross platform design too drastically.

Unless the Alpha was really old code stripped to the bare minimum or they've been pulling 24 hour shifts at DICE we'll be lucky to see options to adjust the graphics beyond your resolution and texture detail settings - for example.

The whole thing was extremely "streamlined" and the biggest disappointment was seeing what they've done to the squad system, it was just one step above the "automatic" squading system they used in Medal of Honor multiplayer.
Actually...

1) They confirmed that the PC version *will* have a commo rose: http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/commo-rose-confirmed-for-battlefield-3/

2) The Alpha was *obviously* stripped down from the final game, just like the Bad Company 2 was stripped down. Probably intentionally, since graphical fidelity wasn't the focus of alpha testing.

I can't believe people have forgotten how terrible the Bad Company beta was compared to the final release. And that was only a month and a half before the game came out. The alpha was released far earlier for Battlefield 3 than the beta was for Bad Company 2. A ridiculous shit load of still will change and massively improve for the final.

46. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 17:14 elefunk

FYI - the jets in BF3 are actually slightly faster than the jets in BF2:

http://twitter.com/#!/Demize99/status/103518215732334593

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 14:10 elefunk

MrGrosser wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 13:48:
The real question is with all the cancellations from BF3's recent announcements, are they going to be able to fill a 64player map?

This game is the next Brink
Right. With 3+ million sales of Bad Company 2 on PC alone, Battlefield 3 (which looks incredibly impressive, and far more of a PC game than BC2) will be the "next Brink".

LOL

You're crazy if you think that "all the cancellations" will make even close to a dent in the game's sales, especially since this trailer will probably convince all of those cancellations to re-preorder.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 13:45 elefunk

"WTF was the alpha?"

Well. Uh. It was an alpha. DICE was obviously testing back-end infrastructure and other such things that are normally tested in an alpha state. Much easier to do that kind of testing with a dramatically limited scope of other things.

News Comments > Space Marine Demo Next Week, Early Access Opportunities
9. Re: Space Marine Demo Next Week, Early Access Opportunities Aug 15, 2011, 13:57 elefunk

Cutter wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 13:38:
Demo release same days as DXHR, eh? Gee, that's smart.
Thank you. I was wondering how you were going to find a way to twist this negative. It's such a net-positive story for pretty much everyone involved that I was worried your cynicism wasn't going to find a way this time around. Glad to know I was wrong.

News Comments > Space Marine Demo Next Week, Early Access Opportunities
6. Re: Space Marine Demo Next Week, Early Access Opportunities Aug 15, 2011, 12:58 elefunk

bobbyric wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 12:55:

I don't know, it looks like Gears of War with a Warhammer 40k skin based on the limited gameplay footage I've seen. Is that accurate?

No it's more like God of War with a Warhammer 40k skin.
Which sounds fucking awesome!

Can't wait to play as an assault marine and jet pack my way into my enemy's death.

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout
23. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 02:46 elefunk

I think the naming confusion was just a matter of the series slowly evolving from the time before digital distribution even existed, to its early beginning, to the point where it took full advantage of the ad-supported model and beyond.

But honestly, the confusion only exists for someone who actually wants to research it. To someone new to the series, all they'd see today is Nations - the free game - and United - the full game that includes everything from all the earlier versions and a lot more.

"Forever" is just the enhanced edition that replaced the similarly-titled game, and Sunrise is the prequel that doesn't matter anymore since United contained everything it had and more.

1101 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo