Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peters

Real Name Peters   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname elefunk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 2, 2007, 14:55
Total Comments 1101 (Pro)
User ID 41586

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Versus ThreatFire
3. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 17:27 elefunk

It's shit like this that really makes me sympathize with PC developers. Despite the existence of legitimate issues they should address, there are so many random corner cases like this which make them look undeservedly awful and it's simply impossible to catch them before shipping.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached
70. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 11, 2011, 12:29 elefunk

http://www.lo-ping.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/1320994934073.png

Looks like Valve wins again. AES256 encryption on credit card info means no one will ever be getting that info, or else the entire world is fucked over.

Any company is vulnerable to hacks - saying they have "shitty security" or are "ignorant" doesn't help, and doesn't say anything. No one can protect against everything.

However, Valve did *EVERYTHING* right when it comes to actually securing that information in the case that it was unfortunately stolen.

News Comments > Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached
62. Re: Gabe's ass is well covered by your head. Nov 10, 2011, 23:55 elefunk

There is no hypocrisy. Sony took forever to respond, then took their servers offline for months, and had to rebuild their entire infrastructure.

Sony was fucking incompetent as hell throughout the whole thing.

No one is invulnerable to hacks. The important thing is how well-secured the data that was stolen is, and how they respond to it. Sony had jack shit security on the stored data - they didn't even fucking salt the passwords, one of the most elementary lessons in security.

Valve, on the other hand secured everything properly. Hashed and salted passwords, encrypted credit card data.

For fuck's sake, when Sony was originally hacked, they didn't even know what kind of security they had!

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Speed Cap Removed
3. Re: Tribes: Ascend Speed Cap Removed Nov 10, 2011, 17:34 elefunk

They really are listening to a lot of fan feedback.

At PAX, I asked them about the weapons-too-large thing, they were fully aware of it, and said the lead artist was already working on revisions.

When the Beta released, people noticed all sorts of new bind options, re-introducing Jump (even though...who needs it?), and a lot of custom binds for different combinations of jumping and skiing if you wish.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Art & Details
16. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 16:28 elefunk

It's weird that people disappointed by the MechWarrior announcement (a full-blown mech *SIM*) would prefer to get excited about Hawken (a self-professed FPS-in-mechs).

Hawken looks awesome, but it's so ridiculously far from being anything close to MechWarrior that it's not even worth comparing them.

News Comments > Consoles Became "Lead Platform" Late in BF3 Development
13. Re: Consoles Became Nov 1, 2011, 11:04 elefunk

Why would anyone be surprised or enraged about this? Of course they need to shift to leading on consoles. The PC version was well ahead in development, and they don't need to submit the PC version for certification months ahead of time.

Kudos to Blue for knowing his audience thereby getting extra clicks by posting something obvious yet for some reason inflammatory like this

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Interview
5. Re: MechWarrior Online Interview Oct 31, 2011, 21:38 elefunk

Cutter wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 21:33:
Whenever they have to qualify an answer about if it's true to its roots and they say "so in that sense" or 'in a sense' than it's no, it's not true to its roots.

Man, what a dissapointment. Way to drop the fucking ball here. What could have maybe really rebooted MW in a big way for computer games is now going over like a lead balloon.

It's funny watching you pretend like any announcement that could have remote commercial viability without bankrupting the studio could have ever satisfied you.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3
59. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 16:10 elefunk

Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 13:02:
Buy this and you're a major asshole.

It's so much nicer being an asshole than a jaded, cynical piece of shit

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3
22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 12:03 elefunk

space captain wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 11:57:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 11:48:
There is also still problem with the option screen in Multiplayer. You have to be alive in game in order to get the Options screen up. Good thing is you can also change things around in SP and those changes will carry over to the MP, but I remember knifing some people that were just standing in the corner, I assume they were changing the options

thats fucked up DICE specifically said they were fixing that
This is false. The options screen fully works perfectly when you're dead, in single-player or multi-player. I did so countless times during the 3 or so hours I've played so far.

News Comments > Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year
8. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 17:20 elefunk

Elessar wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 16:36:
And we wonder why PC Gaming is scoffed at by devs. In an announcement that speaks of upcoming tools to create more content, shortly after free AAA quality dlc, we get complaints and boycotts. I'm sorry to say, but you're all coming across like a bunch of self-entitled brats.
Yep. Sad. These idiots would rather have a half-hearted sequel made by people who obviously don't want to work on it right now instead of having more free content for easily the best game released all year.

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
6. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Oct 18, 2011, 19:11 elefunk

20% discount on Steam if you own Arkham Asylum or Lego Batman. Neat.  

News Comments > DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished"
18. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 12:23 elefunk

Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 11:17:
Bucky wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 11:15:
but I do think the web-based browsing/launching system is a good idea, and could really be good if they tighten it up a bit more.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think it's a good idea? It seems needlessly cumbersome to me.

Creston
For me personally, I liked it far better than any server browser that DICE has ever produced. The length of time between clicking a server and getting in game wasn't longer, and before looking at servers, I didn't need to sit through an array of splash screens either. Nor did I need to go through some weird hack or tweak of deleting splash screen videos or modifying my launch script to circumvent splash screens.

It was even faster for me than getting into a game of Team Fortress 2. I saved a favorite place on my browser to Battlelog, so whenever I wanted to play BF3, I'd click that favorite place, and seconds later be joining a server. Without needing to load the game first, the entire process was much faster.

And finally, the simple fact that they can update Battlelog without releasing a full Client patch means that whatever issues that do exist will be fixed much quicker. Throughout the first few days of the beta, they released 5-6 updates that fixed most of the issues people were encountering.

News Comments > Nadeo Showing ShootMania This Week, TrackMania 2 Patch Nears
8. Re: Nadeo Showing ShootMania This Week, TrackMania 2 Patch Nears Oct 16, 2011, 21:57 elefunk

I'm loving Canyon, I just hope that the Puzzle and Platform modes come back soon  

News Comments > Team Bondi Closing
12. Re: Team Bondi Closing Oct 5, 2011, 13:46 elefunk

L.A. Noire did not "sell well". It was an absolute clusterfuck of development by the psychotic McNamara, and the game didn't even come together until Rockstar all-but took over development of the game to fix the problems that Bondi introduced.

There is no way in hell that the game made back the money it cost to develop it, and there was no way in hell any publisher going forward would ever again want to work with Team Bondi. They deserved to shut down.

News Comments > Portal 2 Free DLC Released, Midweek Sale
10. Re: Portal 2 Free DLC Released, Midweek Sale Oct 4, 2011, 16:01 elefunk

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 14:56:
Hmmm... This is a good deal. I've been waiting for a sale on Portal 2. I wonder if it is worth this price...
Portal 2 is the best game released all year and is well worth full price.

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans
13. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 01:52 elefunk

A demo to a Trackmania game would either be shitty if they don't allow user-created content, or identical to the main game if they do allow it. You can't create a demo for this game. Nations is a perfectly valid demo. If you want to see what Trackmania 2 will be like, play Nations, then expect far better graphics, far better handling, far more capability of the building tools, and more.

Trackmania 2 improves on Nations in pretty much every way. Bitching that there is no demo specifically for Trackmania 2 simply demonstrates that you know jack shit about the entire serious and have no right to bitch about anything related to it in the first place.

News Comments > Serious Sam 3: BFE Delayed to November
2. Re: Serious Sam 3: BFE Delayed to November Sep 30, 2011, 12:38 elefunk

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 12:31:
Well that's a smart business move. No competition for limited consumer dollars this that time of year.
You're fucking unbelievable.

If they released a buggy game, you'd bitch.

Now they're delaying it for quality, and you still find something to bitch about.

There isn't any more/less competition in November than October. The game was already shooting for a different audience anyway, and it'll sell for a very very long tail into next year, including countless Steam sales too.

News Comments > Steam Translations Value Estimate
2. Re: Steam Translations Value Estimate Sep 25, 2011, 13:32 elefunk

Do they not understand the meaning of the word "volunteer"?

Nobody is "making" the community do anything.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway
18. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 16:27 elefunk

Removing jump from the game does literally nothing to the gameplay. It's entirely useless and irrelevant.

This is coming from me, someone who played a fuckton of Tribes 1 and 2, and also played more than an hour of Tribes Ascend at PAX.

If you think they're "retards" and "don't have a clue", then why think fucking jumping is so integral to the game? Jesus, what a stupid, ignorant complaint.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Delayed Until Next Year; Closed Beta Nears
11. Re: Tribes: Ascend Delayed Until Next Year; Closed Beta Nears Sep 14, 2011, 12:43 elefunk

This was by far my favorite game at PAX. I've played a hell of a lot of Tribes, Tribes 2, and even Vengeance (shh don't remind me), and Ascend easily does the best of 1 and 2 while improving it in a huge number of ways too.

I kept going back to play Ascend over and over again at PAX, foregoing everything else at the show. Definitely sign up for the beta - you won't be disappointed.

1101 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo