Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peters

Real Name Peters   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname elefunk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 2, 2007, 14:55
Total Comments 1101 (Pro)
User ID 41586

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Cut Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Removes Gore, Adds Performance
11. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 16:58 elefunk

OH MY GOD MY $130 4870 FROM LAST YEAR IS ONLY GETTING 100FPS INSTEAD OF 140FPS WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO????

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 16:58.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 DLC Clues?
14. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 DLC Clues? Oct 30, 2009, 16:29 elefunk

Just a question LMN8R - do you EVER try to pose a counterpoint without insulting everyone else?
Uhh...where did I insult anyone except calling them "whiners"? Is that really so bad? Especially when considering the asinine post I was responding to?

Where did anyone say that? People are posting their opinions. You dont agree with them so youre insulting them is whats really going on.
Did you miss this eloquent whiney bitchfest?

It just baffles me on the millions of suckers ready to eat this game up when it's the same friggin' game that was released last year with new skins and a few new modes. It's a FULL PRICE expansion pack and it is a complete ripoff plain and simple. I wasted my money on the first L4D giving it a chance because it was a valve project but never again! All the suckers lining up to suck it down just because it's Valve and they just can do no wrong now can they fanboys??? Guess who's laughing all the way to the bank? The fuckers abandon HL Ep3 for this garbage... "screw the faithful to the HL series, we gots ourselves a new cash cow... yee haaaw!" Waiting 3 years for a EPISODE is just plain wrong, and when they switched to episodes they promised it would be so they can get them out quicker!

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 DLC Clues?
9. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 DLC Clues? Oct 30, 2009, 15:53 elefunk

What baffles me is the whiners that constantly go on trying to stay all high and mighty pretending like their opinions are more valid than those of people who absolutely loved Left 4 Dead, and think that Left 4 Dead 2 looks to be like a fantastic and very substantial sequel.

Sorry that you think it's "garbage", and think they've "abandoned" Half-Life, but hey, us millions? We love the game, and couldn't care less if Valve is "laughing all the way to the bank" because of it.

News Comments > More World of Goo Sales Stats
6. Re: More World of Goo Sales Stats Oct 28, 2009, 16:26 elefunk

Did they ever get around to adding proper support for various resolutions? That's why I never bought it, not the price.
You've been able change the resolution to anything you wanted to since the day the game was released. A bug hampering certain aspect ratios from working correctly was fixed within weeks of the game's release.

News Comments > DirectX 11 for Vista Released
4. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 01:21 elefunk

Wait what? Isn't the DirectX API supposed to be backwards compatible?
DX10 was a clean break from the past. Vista and Win7 have DX9 separately installed simultaneously to DX10/DX11. (DX11 is backwards compatible with DX10)

News Comments > New Steam Client
1. Re: New Steam Client Oct 28, 2009, 01:20 elefunk

This version also includes Windows 7 taskbar support - progress bar overlay for downloads like what IE has, and jump lists for frequently launched games, shortcuts, etc. Pretty nifty.  

News Comments > Borderlands' Firm Street Dates
49. Re: Borderlands' Firm Street Dates Oct 24, 2009, 18:34 elefunk

The encryption to unlock the game to play before the date is too high end. Once they have the files then all bets are off.
It's not even a matter of high-end encryption here. The files are physically missing bits. They're not there. The hackers don't even have anything to hack in the first place.

News Comments > Borderlands' Firm Street Dates
46. Re: Borderlands' Firm Street Dates Oct 24, 2009, 18:21 elefunk

Much like Bioshock, it will be physically impossible to play any of the game until after the official release date. There are bits actually missing from the .exe included on the disc. Unless some hacker is actually a Gearbox employee with access to the source code and can re-compile that code to create a new executable for hackers to use, it's impossible.

Not a single person on the face of the earth outside of 2K Boston could play Bioshock before the release date. No hacker could magically replace the missing parts of the EXE. In fact, it wasn't even until a week or two after the game came out that there was finally a working crack.

There is no reason to believe that Borderlands will be any different.

News Comments > Shattered Horizon System Requirements
41. Re: Shattered Horizon System Requirements Oct 22, 2009, 22:53 elefunk

I don't care about a pretty desktop or fancy icons. I want an OS that doesn't needlessly suck up resources like Vista or Windows 7. Sorry, sticking to XP.
".....said the luddite who replaces informed opinions with false realities"

36. Re: Shattered Horizon System Requirements Oct 22, 2009, 18:13 elefunk

It's quite sad that in this day and age, using simple logical reasoning means that you're a "plant".

As I've already explained, since it's not rocket science here:
-Futuremark has always, forever and ever, been about graphics first
-3D Vantage from a year and a half ago was DX10-only, why would their game be any different?
-They probably don't even have a modern, up-to-date DirectX 9 engine anymore
-Developing DX10-only is far easier - especially when you have an established graphics engine - than developing for that + an overhauld DX9 engine
-Shattered Horizon is an experiment more than anything - a few guys add some interactivity to their benchmarks and call it a day
-They're selling it for $20 - obviously a sign that it's nothing special, just a fun experiment for them
-For the record - Steam statistics show 40% of gaming machines are DX10 now (Vista/Win7 + DX10 graphics cards)

For fuck's sake, I was in the Shattered Horizon beta and think it's a boring, uninspired game, and have no intentions of buying it. But I'm not closed-minded enough to remotely consider, even for a second, that they're "stupid" or are "ignoring" DX9. They're deliberately leaving an 8-year-old graphics API in the past, and attempting to push forward graphics, just as they always have for more than a decade.

They did what they wanted to do, the target market for their game will probably already have what they need to run it, and it was probably cheaper and far simpler to develop DX10-only than also re-investing in a very old DX9 engine.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2009, 19:06.

33. Re: Shattered Horizon System Requirements Oct 22, 2009, 16:58 elefunk

Smart. Locking 70% of the people with a computer out of the market is a GREAT way to do business.

Make sure to bitch about piracy when the game doesn't sell, fellas.

Creston
Oh shush, this is fucking Futuremark we're talking about. Show me one article where they've ever bitched about people pirating 3D Mark, especially Vantage, which was also DX10-only and came out a year and a half ago.

Same the retarded accusations for companies who actually go around spouting nonsense about piracy.

23. Re: Shattered Horizon System Requirement Oct 22, 2009, 14:36 elefunk

How did anyone get the idea that this is "Win 7 exclusive" in the first place?

Not even DX11 games will be Windows 7 exclusive. DX11 will be backwards-compatible with Vista as well.

12. Re: Shattered Horizon System Requirements Oct 22, 2009, 13:36 elefunk

You're absolutely right. "It used to be all that and a bag of chips". 8 fucking years ago when it was new!

Everything I've said comes from my own personal experience, after using Windows 7 for the last 5-6 months, and using Vista for roughly 2 years before that. XP is outdated, made for a different generation of computing before high-speed internet was the norm, and it shows in absolutely every single thing it does, and every design decision that exists even after SP3.

Make up your mind after using Windows 7 for a year and attempting to go back to XP, don't try to make assumptions about where my opinion comes from before even using the OS for yourself.

10. Re: Shattered Horizon System Requirements Oct 22, 2009, 12:55 elefunk

You guys really need to stop pretending like Futuremark's purpose with this game is to appeal to a broad audience.

The latest version of 3D Mark is DX10-only. Futuremark has been a graphics-first company for their entire existence. They live to create beautiful graphics, utilize only the latest technology, and push the absole fastest hardware to its most extreme limits.

An offshoot of the company decided that they wanted to take some of their core technology and add some interactivity to it, making a pretty neat diversion that they've said will sell for very cheap - probably $20 or so.

DX10 cards have been the norm almost 3 years now. Vista has been out for nearly 3 years with hundreds of millions users. Windows 7 is out today and already has more than 8 million people using it. Shattered Horizon might not work for the most broad of broad audiences, but then, it wasn't created for the purpose of relying on 8-year-old technology anyway.

From my point of view I'm not upgrading until there's enough good games I like which require the upgrade. I'm certainly not upgrading on a 'promise' or an 'idea', and not to an OS which I really don't like.

Let's see how Windows 7 fares. My favourite OS so far has been AmigaOS, the Windows series is relatively a farce in my opinion, but is required to play the games I like to play. C'est la vie.
Oh stop with these dishonest representations of the purpose of an OS. The purpose of upgrading to the latest OS has never been to run the latest and greatest games, except maybe for Windows 95. Maybe you felt you didn't need Vista, but give me a break - Windows XP is nearly 8 years old now, and it shows in absolutely every facet of its technology. FFS it has top-tier highest-level UI dedicated to dial-up modems that's placed at a higher priority than local networking, let alone wireless networking!

Everything else about it - the ancient Explorer interface, the way its stability feels like it's held together with a thin string waiting to break under the slightest pressure, the dated driver model that can easily bring down an entire system instead of a temporary crash, the dated security model that makes XP far, far more susceptible to worms than Vista. The horrible GDI interface instead of GPU-rendered interface that means stale windows, and artifacts galore.

Then there's the fantastic troubleshooter new in Windows 7, all of the other built-in diagnostics, far-improved remote desktoping, far better backup and restore, bitlocker encryption, and everything else.

That is why you upgrade an OS - to enable you to actually use modern hardware, with modern OS paradigms, allowing far better usability and productivity. And don't forget about the thousands of APIs that allow third-party developers to improve their applications, instead of being limited to what an OS from 8 years ago had.

Enabling DX10 and DX11 is just the icing on the cake for enthusiasts.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2009, 13:22.

News Comments > Still More on MW2 Servers
11. Re: Still More on MW2 Servers Oct 20, 2009, 20:24 elefunk

i was gonna buy the game when the price went down. $60 for a game with no extra-value added is nuts. Now with this whole dedicated server fiasco, fuck you IW and Activision.

I feel so hurt by these dictators that my only way to hurt them BACK is to torrent. Petitions are turned into internet jokes, forum posts are left ignored. They put their heads beneath the ground and hope for release day.

Hope this turns out as a textbook case on how to not fuck up your customers.

and unless we act, they will keep doing this. ACT!
What the fuck are you talking about? You're not "hurting them" any more by pirating the game than you are by ignoring it altogether.

No, you're a hypocritical piece of shit who wants SO GOD DAMN MUCH to hate Activision, yet is too weak-willed to actually avoid playing the game. You're making up a retarded excuse to help justify your desire to play a game that seems like it'll be awesome, but hampered by some absolutely terrible development decisions.

If you want to protest Activision's actions, then don't buy the game. Don't pirate the game. Don't play the game. Don't become another fucking piracy statistic that Activision uses to justify their business decisions.

Infinity Ward didn't fucking murder your family - you're in no place to seek revenge for shit here. It's a product made by hundreds of hard-working people who don't deserve to be actively "hurt" by you since they were fucked over by some higher-ups who ruined things for them.

It's a consumer product made with some business decisions that you disagree with, and an all-out boycott is the proper response. Not some retarded notion of active revenge to "hurt" them.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2009, 20:27.

News Comments > Still More on MW2 Servers
3. Re: Still More on MW2 Servers Oct 20, 2009, 19:58 elefunk

If you torrent the game, then by your very actions, you consider the game to have some sort of value, that it's worth your time to play it, and are therefore a hypocritical douchebag whose statistics Activision will only use to validate their decisions.

If you want to speak with your wallet, then don't buy it, and don't fucking pirate it either. Buy something else, or else you're doing absolutely jack shit to make your opinion known.

News Comments > Rocket Knight Announcement
2. Re: Rocket Knight Announcement Oct 20, 2009, 13:06 elefunk

ahhhhh!!!!!

furries!!!!!!

*hides*

News Comments > Borderlands Midnight Madness & Trailers
33. Re: Borderlands Midnight Madness & Trailers Oct 20, 2009, 03:51 elefunk

Steamworks is a variety of tools. Dawn of War II uses Steamworks, yet it uses GFW Live for private and public games, friends lists, etc. in the exact same way that Borderlands will instead utilize Gamespy.

Steamworks =/= full Steam server list integration. Steamworks can mean anything from just Steam activation, to VAC support, to the server browser, to matchmaking, or any combination thereof.

Again, based on everything I've heard of the game, no, I do not think that Borderlands will be using Steamworks. But that it uses Gamespy says nothing about if it uses Steamworks or not.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2009, 03:52.

News Comments > Borderlands Midnight Madness & Trailers
31. Re: Borderlands Midnight Madness & Trailers Oct 20, 2009, 01:44 elefunk

read the shack review, game uses Gamespy for matchmaking. the 4 pack was just an idea spawned by Valves Left 4 Dead 2 four pack.
I don't think that Borderlands uses Steamworks either, but the game using Gamespy for matchmaking doesn't negate that possibility. Dawn of War II uses Steamworks activation, yet fully utilizes GFW Live for multiplayer.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Asylum Interview
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum Interview Oct 19, 2009, 13:14 elefunk

I read this interview this morning when it popped up on my Gamasutra RSS feed - kind of interesting, but nothing too insightful.

However, I just beat the game over the weekend, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Lengthy, substantial game that took me 14 hours the first time through, and I'm still having fun going through and solving the rest of the Riddler stuff. And the combat is just so freaking fun, yet I haven't touched the challenge modes yet (I definitely will)

Polished, fun, worth every penny.

1101 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo