Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peters

Real Name Peters   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname elefunk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 2, 2007, 14:55
Total Comments 1101 (Pro)
User ID 41586

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Civilization V and Steamworks
11. Re: Civilization V and Steamworks May 6, 2010, 12:53 elefunk

I'm surprised it doesn't say anything about Steam Cloud support - seems like the perfect game to enable automatic saved game syncing.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THQ Fiscal Results
6. Re: THQ Fiscal Results May 5, 2010, 19:13 elefunk

Metro 2033 provided a large profit according to THQ:

http://bit.ly/9VOlWH

I'm sure Chaos Rising contributed too.

THQ has never been a publisher to bitch and moan about piracy, so can you whiners save your piracy wank-fests and straw-man arguments for some other threads?

You're no longer responding to people who have a differing opinion, you're just bitching for the sake of bitching to people who never complained in the first place.

News Comments > Shattered Horizon: Firepower Released
10. Re: May 5, 2010, 16:03 elefunk

It's Blue's News. Everyone who posts here has had their dog shit on and run over a car by every developer on the face of the planet. There's no such thing as reasonable discussion allowed.

Anyway, I got Shattered Horizon during the $5 sale a few months back and really enjoy it. Can't wait to try out the new weapons!

News Comments > Battle.net Facebook Integration
2. Re: Battle.net Facebook Integration May 5, 2010, 14:12 elefunk

Awesome! This should be a must for every game that relies on creating a new friends list. I certainly wouldn't mind if Valve integrated this support in Steam.  

News Comments > StarCraft II in July
52. Re: StarCraft II in July May 4, 2010, 22:50 elefunk

Well yeah, so this isn't any different from waiting to play Mass Effect until 1-2 years from now or whenever Mass Effect 3 comes out. Maybe some people will just wait for an entire series to be complete, but to say that there is "no point" in playing the first part on release is pretty damn silly.  

49. Re: StarCraft II in July May 4, 2010, 19:37 elefunk

eRe4s3r wrote on May 4, 2010, 18:03:
Mhh, thanks for the link

Still think it would be better to wait for a pack, no point in buying part 1 of 3 and then have to wait for part 2 for years only to then forget the story of part 1 before part 2 gets out.

Blizzard doesn't release unpolished stuff, thats good. But Now that they split the game into 3 i sure as hell hope they are faster then 3 years for part 2 and 3 ^^
I certainly don't care if you purchase a game now, later, or ignore it entirely, but it's just plain bullshit to continue spreading this nonsense about how it's "only part 1 of 3" or that they "split a single game into 3 parts".

Maybe if Starcraft 2 was 1/3 the size of the game as Starcraft, it would make sense......but....well....it's not.

43. Re: StarCraft II in July May 4, 2010, 15:09 elefunk

It's quite sad how you're incapable of disagreeing without insulting people. There's no "lake of bullshit". What the fuck is your problem?

Dawn of War II has a single campaign that takes 10-15 hours to complete with very repetitive missions, Starcraft II has 29 missions, all of which should be pretty different and unique from one another based on the multitude they've shown so far. Starcraft II also has an entirely different training mode specifically meant to teach you online strategies. Starcraft II also has a totally revamped Battle.NET which is eons beyond anything Games for Windows Live can do.

I've played both games. A lot. The production values and quality of the online systems are vastly different from one another. Dawn of War II is well worth $40-50. Starcraft II will easily be worth the $60.

41. Re: StarCraft II in July May 4, 2010, 13:08 elefunk

Tumbler wrote on May 4, 2010, 11:04:
Meh, $40 seems acceptable. Assuming there is nothing else to play I'll pick this up if I can get it for $40. DoW2 made it clear what you get in a game like this. (less content with multiple add ons) Even at 40 I'm not in any hurry. In fact if it were out today I wouldn't spend the money. Other stuff to play...which isn't much at all...
I love Dawn of War II, don't get me wrong, but Starcraft II is so much more ridiculously substantial that it's silly to compare them. Dawn of War II's campaign was fun, but very repetitive, and fairly short. The multiplayer is decent and Relic has been good about adding free content to it, but the new Battle.NET is 10x the online system that GFW Live could ever hope to be, even in its current beta stage.

The quality of the single-player missions, the challenge modes, the auto-saving replays of every single game so anyone can easily download anything within the game, the centralized map distribution system making it a whole lot easier to get new stuff, a bunch better communications interface, and more.

Not to mention the fact that the Starcraft II campaign even takes some cues from Dawn of War II in terms of persistent unit upgrade throughout the game, branching ability unlocks, etc. - not a full Diablo-style loot game like Dawn of War II, but a whole lot more than what the original Starcraft had.

33. Re: StarCraft II in July May 4, 2010, 03:58 elefunk

There's an entire challenge mode separate from the main campaign that's specifically dedicated to teaching you how to play multiplayer, for all races.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1340

Don't pretend like the original Starcraft's campaign properly introduced anyone to genuine multiplayer strategies anyway. Starcraft 2, on the other hand, does exactly that.

On the other hand, because they're treating them entirely independently, the single-player campaign in Starcraft 2 has a ton of tweaks and tunes that would be unfair in multiplayer, but are simply fricken FUN in single-player - obviously that would be no way to teach you how to go online anyway.

Perhaps if you guys spent less time bitching about "OMG ONLY ONE RACE" and more time actually reading about what the game has perhaps you'd learn a thing or two? Stupid situations like this are why the gaming world laughs at petulant PC gamers - they'd rather bitch and whine about flawed and incomplete information than actually learn about amazing games being put out by one of the best developers on the planet that's never created a bad game in its entire existence.

News Comments > Shattered Horizon Firepower Next Week
3. Re: Shattered Horizon Firepower Next Week Apr 27, 2010, 14:05 elefunk

Which works for me. I picked it up for $5 during a sale and I've certainly gotten my money's worth. Yeah, it would be better if the community was more lively, but getting to play on populated servers for a week every time they come out with a new dose of content is fine for me.  

News Comments > PC Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Released
11. Re: PC Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Released Apr 22, 2010, 20:30 elefunk

Hot damn, this DLC pushed Valve's content servers past 221 Gigabits per second:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

Almost 28GB/sec!

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Details and Trailer
11. Re: Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Details and Trailer Apr 22, 2010, 13:08 elefunk

loomy wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 09:13:
In the old days people were allowed to modify and host their own games so you could play anyone's mutation. There were even mutations so popular they replaced the original game.
It's so awesome that the old day are still the current days, where you can, you know, still do all that stuff with Left 4 Dead 2!

News Comments > StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty CE & Pricing
72. Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty CE & Pricing Apr 9, 2010, 02:01 elefunk

Araes wrote on Apr 9, 2010, 00:25:
Can't you play all three races in skirmish and multiplayer?
Of course you can, considering you can already do that in the beta that's out right now.

And no, Starcraft II doesn't require an always-on internet connection. In fact, they reconfirmed that just today, after first claiming that months ago.

45. Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty CE & Pricing Apr 8, 2010, 17:08 elefunk

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2010, 16:10:
Not buying either one of them? I refuse to pay 60 bucks for a PC game, especially for one that's already been cut into a third of the game its predecessor was.

Creston
If you didn't buy Diablo II or Warcraft III at $60 out of the same principle, rock on. But stop pretending like Activision has anything whatsoever to do with that pricepoint when Blizzard used it nearly a decade before being acquired by Activision.

Starcraft had 30 missions and an extensive, free, multiplayer infrastructure.

Starcraft II has 30 missions, each is far more varied and unique than any of the missions in Starcraft, they take place across a branching campaign with much more integrated storytelling, and has a totally overhauled (yet still free) Battle.NET.

Where is this "1/3 the game" bullshit you're referring to, again?

Was World in Conflict and Company of Heroes 1/2 the game of other RTSs because they only had a campaign for one of their two sides?

Was Dawn of War II 1/4 the game of other RTSs because only 1 of the 4 races had a campaign?

This menial, reductive bullshit is lazy as hell. I'll take a focused campaign that goes extremely deep into a single side over 3 more rushed and far shorter campaigns 1/3 the size any day.

17. Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty CE & Pricing Apr 8, 2010, 14:49 elefunk

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2010, 14:31:
60 bucks. Hahaha. Okay Bobby.

Creston
Where were you when Diablo II and Warcraft III were $60 and "Bobby" had nothing to do with it?

7. Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty CE & Pricing Apr 8, 2010, 14:00 elefunk

Right from Blue's News - Diablo II came out at $60: http://www.bluesnews.com/a/44
Warcraft III also came out at $60: http://i46.tinypic.com/raxog7.jpg

Not saying it's necessarily justified or worth it, but also don't pretend like this is anything new introduced by their new ownership at Activision.

News Comments > Just Cause 2 DLC This Week
15. Re: Just Cause 2 DLC This Week Apr 4, 2010, 22:45 elefunk

I played the PC version and distinctly noticed my combat options and weapon options run out after 10-15 hours. It's not some magical haven of strategic opportunity. You can only go stealth or full-blown actions so many times in so many ways.

It was a game that was twice as long as it deserved to be, with twice as much land mass as it should have had, yet locales that got repetitive long before you discovered the entirety of the first map.

News Comments > DICE: Free Maps "Crucial"
3. Re: DICE: Free Maps Mar 31, 2010, 15:12 elefunk

DICE has already said there will be plenty of DLC they charge for, but it's good to know that it probably won't just be maps. It'll probably be more along the lines of mini-expansions for $10-20 that add new game types, new classes, new weapons, etc.

If it's worth the money, I'll pay for it. That's why I've never purchased a fricken map pack, and I probably never well.

News Comments > Penny Arcade Adventures Discontinued
5. Re: Penny Arcade Adventures Discontinued Mar 30, 2010, 03:15 elefunk

I got my $10 out of Penny Arcade Episode 1. Never bought Episode 2, yet I still plan to do so at some point in the future.

Were you really so involved in the story that you feel ripped off being able to see the remaining two episodes? I mean, it was entertaining, but certainly nothing so engrossing that I feel so bummed that it's not going to get finished.

1101 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo