Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peters

Real Name Peters   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname elefunk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 2, 2007, 14:55
Total Comments 1101 (Pro)
User ID 41586

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes
52. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 09:40 elefunk

Brataccas wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 02:08:
elefunk wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 23:41:
Er, no, you didn't call it. The game has been out for roughly 3 months now, and it's in fact continually *gained* paid subscribers.

Mmmhmm. The server population trend numbers don't support you.

The subscriber numbers do. In a month, they went from 1.7 million subscribers where most were still in their free trial, to 1.7 million subscribers were the vast majority are now paid. That is an increase.

link

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 23:41 elefunk

Brataccas wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 21:03:
Brataccas wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 16:48:
(...) I suspect subscriber numbers will drop precipitously around the three month mark.

Did I call it or did I call it?
Er, no, you didn't call it. The game has been out for roughly 3 months now, and it's in fact continually *gained* paid subscribers.

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 18:01 elefunk

"WHY WON'T THEY GIVE ME A DEMO????"

"LOL FREE TRIAL???? GAME MUST BE FAILING!!!!!"

News Comments > Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff
58. Re: Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff Mar 2, 2012, 00:23 elefunk

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 22:40:
elefunk wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 20:42:
I'm confused. Do people actually expect Blizzard to keep customer support staff they don't need, and just pay them to do nothing?
Well, for my part -- no. However, I did accuse them of bad management for over staffing by such a large margin.
How can you make such a bold claim?

Blizzard specifically said that new accounting practices and software enabled them to be more efficient in their customer service department. How the hell can you just go and claim they had "bad management" before and are just now fixing it?

Not to mention the fact that they simply need less customer service now with World of Warcraft continuing to lose subscribers.

News Comments > "Major" Assassin's Creed Announcement Nears
9. Re: Mar 1, 2012, 00:12 elefunk

Climbing and scaling huge structures has gotten pretty old. I wouldn't mind seeing a dramatic departure in gameplay, even if that means much smaller buildings.  

News Comments > Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff
39. Re: Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff Feb 29, 2012, 20:42 elefunk

I'm confused.

Do people actually expect Blizzard to keep customer support staff they don't need, and just pay them to do nothing?

News Comments > Sins of a Dark Age Announced
41. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 22, 2012, 16:02 elefunk

The Republican thing was just a joke, not an accusation, sheesh.

Look, I don't even play much League of Legends, but I know how it works. It's quite simple. Every single ounce of content in the game is available to play for free. No one who pays anything gets an advantage. I have friends who have sunk hundreds of hours into the game and never paid a dime, and they're equally competitive with everyone who's purchased new characters or other stuff to play with.

He's going on and on about stuff that doesn't ring true with anyone who actually plays these games. League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Tribes Ascend, Firefall (from a few hours I played at PAX), Lord of the Rings Online, and countless other games are well-designed games. They're fun to play for hundreds of hours without paying anything.

You can pay money for variety if you wish, but it's not necessary at all. You can pay money for "convenience", but the best and most successful free-to-play games out there don't actually require "convenience" to be fun.

And yeah, look at his posts aimed directly at the Ironclad person who posted here:

Frankly Ironclad, you should be ashamed of yourselves. If this is how you reward players for buying Sins of A Solar Empire, then as far as I'm concerned you can burn in Hell with Zynga and all the other scam merchants. You people are scum.

That's a pretty vicious and cynical attack. I'm not sure why a vicious personal attack like this by someone who admitted to not playing any of these games is defensible.

38. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 22, 2012, 15:25 elefunk

Wraith wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 12:58:
Right, so basically you're a fan-boy with a hard-on for one particular game and you're defending the whole "Free To Play" scam because the game which gives you wood uses a "Free To Play" model.

Kid, go back to XBox Live and stick to calling everyone a fag. That's more your speed. Operant conditioning and game theory are way above your head.

You've insulted a lot of people and a lot of games in this thread, yet you've never once played a single one of the games you're viciously attacking, and it seems like you won't listen to anything that any of the people you're viciously attacking have said, no matter how well-reasoned.

You're even directly attacking the *gameplay* of these games you haven't played.

The mind boggles at how one can be so cynical and hateful, while remaining deliberately ignorant. I guess that explains the Republican party!

35. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 22, 2012, 12:32 elefunk

I've played hundreds of for-pay games.

I've played tens of free-to-play games. You haven't played any.

You think your arguments are worth shit? League of Legends alone refutes every single argument you make. They're so ignorant and utterly incompetent that it's not worth directly refuting each asinine statement you made.

33. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 22, 2012, 10:15 elefunk

Wraith wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 03:48:
elefunk wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 02:32:
What F2P games have you played?
What paid games have you played?

The question is irrelevant. I don't play Free To Play because I despise the model and the poor gameplay such games offer. I also tend not to support always-on DRM which is effectively what such games have.

Basically the words "Free To Play" are an instant turn-off. Nobody is going to pay for incentives which aren't tied to game-play. Well, there are always the idiots who'll pay for a fucking hat, but those people don't shell out enough to build a business model on.

Basically, Free To Play artificially restricts the availability of content and tries to assign value to gameplay objects which have none. The representation is fundamentally dishonest and relies on disconnecting the player from reality.

The only value a game delivers to its players is the experience. It is not the digital objects which occupy the game space. Those objects have no value whatsoever. In order to make Free To Play work, the game developer imposes an artificial restriction upon the player then forces that player to pay real money for access to an object which has no intrinsic value.

Greedy game developers see the Free To Play model as a ticket to riches. It's not. It's an ethically bankrupt practice which should be called out for what it is.

Oh. OK. So you haven't played any F2P games but you're the expert.

Got it, thanks!

25. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 22, 2012, 02:32 elefunk

Wraith wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 00:54:
Sounded good until I saw those three little words. "Free To Play".

"Free To Play" basically means the game will suck unless you pump money into it on a regular basis. It's a scam for idiots. With a Free To Play game you either sacrifice your time or your money.

Forget it. I'm not supporting a scam built upon the utilisation of operant conditioning to suck money out of players. And no company with an iota of ethics would do the same.

Frankly Ironclad, you should be ashamed of yourselves. If this is how you reward players for buying Sins of A Solar Empire, then as far as I'm concerned you can burn in Hell with Zynga and all the other scam merchants. You people are scum.
What F2P games have you played?

23. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Announced Feb 22, 2012, 00:43 elefunk

I'm not going to argue against the idea that F2P makes single-player games difficult, but it's not impossible either. You look at a number of iPhone games which are absolutely excellent, like Triple Town, and it does free-to-play in a brilliant way. Play for free all you want with some limitations from time to time, basically like an extended demo, or pay one flat fee to unlock the entire thing forever, with no ads, no pestering, etc.

It's a tiny example on a mobile platform compared to a bigger-budget game on a PC, but the overarching idea is still plausible if implemented correctly.

For multiplayer games, though, people need to get over the idea already that F2P implies "pay to win". I can't imagine that anyone who's actually played a F2P game for an extended period of time actually believes that.

1) The vast majority of players, we're talking 95%+, never pay a single dime in F2P games.

2) If you make your game pay-to-win, none of the free players would bother sticking around

3) If you lose 95% of your population, your game will die instantly. None of the 5% who pay anything would continue to pay if there's no population to play the game with.

I simply cannot comprehend how people believe that F2P=P2W in this day and age of games like League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Tribes Ascend, and countless other games demonstrating the exact opposite.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Tim Schafer on Game Budgets
7. Re: Quoteworthy - Tim Schafer on Game Budgets Feb 12, 2012, 00:07 elefunk

I'm baffled at how people are so naive to think that it's unreasonable that some of those old games he's talking about cost $1-2 million to make.

I mean, seriously? 10-15 people across programmers, artists, etc. to make an adventure game sounds reasonable to me. Across 1-2 years, that easily adds up to a couple million. Especially if they're extremely talented people worth paying a good salary. Then add in all the other usual business costs, it's a no-brainer.

News Comments > F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups
10. Re: F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups Feb 7, 2012, 00:55 elefunk

The developers have plainly admitted that Hawken is a twitch FPS with big powerful machines. If it suits the gameplay, I couldn't give a flying crap how "realistic" the spin speed is.

Especially when there will be a simulation mech game coming out to complement it in the same year!

News Comments > F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups
8. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 7, 2012, 00:40 elefunk

I love that there's a full-on simulation Mechwarrior game and this game, an arcadey fast-paced mech action game, coming in the same year. And I'll be able to play both without paying a dime  

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday?
10. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 5, 2012, 16:54 elefunk

Megatexture is an inherently flawed concept from its inception. The benefit you get of 100% unique texturework across the entire world is such a useless benefit with such a dramatically exaggerated cost. Even the most creative world ever doesn't require completely unique textures on every surface, so in the end, what's the point?

It was expensive tech just for the sake of being expensive. Skyrim's world is infinitely more interesting and varied than Rage, and it did so in a puny overall file size.

Megatexture is an overblown technological breakthrough that epitomizes the concept of diminishing returns.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Changes
77. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 02:30 elefunk

Sorry, I was talking about before this patch - $50 could buy everything in the game as it existed yesterday.

Now they've taken everything that was previously in the game, which you can still buy for well under $50, and added a ton of new weapons on top of all those other things. All of the weapons that are available to buy right now are new weapons that didn't exist yesterday.

73. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 02:23 elefunk

Suckage wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:39:
I decided to give this new take on Tribes a go and... while it does feel great and is fun to play, I must say that you really do need to "P2W"; you don't get the disc gun unless you get a shitload of XP points or cough up the dough, you don't get to repair buildings unless you do the same, likewise for sniping, etc. This is just ridiculous.
What the hell are you talking about? 2 out of the 3 classes have spinfusors, and any class can pick up a repair kit that's sitting in multiple places throughout every base on every map.

And who the hell snipes in Tribes? Between calling it a "disc gun" and thinking that sniping is actually a good tactic in Tribes (or remotely helpful to your team) methinks you've never actually played any game in the series and are raging just because it's the cool thing to do.

72. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 02:20 elefunk

Crustacean Soup wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:46:
What they ought to do is just charge $50 to buy the game outright (excluding cosmetic upgrades). Keep the F2P for the people who want the F2P.
You can already do that. $50 will unlock everything in the game.

64. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 01:16 elefunk

ViRGE wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:13:
Krovven wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 19:42:
And for all those saying this isn't Pay To Win.

If you can pay additional money to gain a benefit over players that do not pay the extra cash, it's P2W.

Tribes Ascend, can you pay an extra fee to gain XP and Tokens faster and purchase Gold to unlock more classes? Yes. It's P2W.
Bingo. "Flexibility" is just another form of P2W, it's just a more insidious form because it's not directly presented as an I Win button.

In TA you purchase loadouts to be more flexible to kill the guys who are running around in the free gear. That is Pay 2 Win. The only way a game is Free2Play is if you can only purchase cosmetic items; the moment you can purchase anything that impacts gameplay, it's P2W.
You can buy everything in the game and I'll still kick your ass using only free stuff.

It's still hilarious that everyone who is calling this game "pay to win" are the people who haven't played a minute of it in their life.

1101 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo