Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peters

Real Name Peters   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname elefunk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 2, 2007, 14:55
Total Comments 1101 (Pro)
User ID 41586

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins
16. Re: Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins Apr 15, 2011, 13:17 elefunk

If you bitch about "needing to buy games" to get the game released early, just shut the fuck up please?

If you "need to buy games", it implies that you don't already have the Potato Pack, which means that you did jack shit in trying to move forward the rest of the ARG, since you weren't solving the puzzles and unlocking potatoes.

If you just want to sit back and watch the events unfold, that's great, and that's actually what I did. I didn't care about getting any of the stuff, it was just fun to watch all of this. But I'm not going to go all entitlement complex when I'm not given something that I didn't even attempt unlocking in the first place.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins
9. Re: Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins Apr 15, 2011, 12:44 elefunk

What an awesome way to get people to buy and play 13 awesome indie games.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Early?
11. Re: Portal 2 Early? Apr 12, 2011, 19:27 elefunk

Icewind wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 19:17:
So Brad, was your job of maintaining Impulse responsible for the horrible launch day condition of Elemental?

Well, now that you sold it I guess you won't release garbage again, right?

It's fucking hilarious that Brad can say that Steam has affected Valve's release schedule.

It's not even a matter of him being "entitled to his opinion". It's just factually wrong what he says about before Steam was out, and since Steam has been released.

News Comments > THQ: Layoffs "Just Business"
9. Re: THQ: Layoffs Apr 12, 2011, 13:53 elefunk

Quality business is being competent enough to load balance a team to always keep them busy, instead of this bullshit of hiring during crunch, firing after release, hiring again, firing again.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Concept Art
5. Re: Portal 2 Concept Art Apr 11, 2011, 19:34 elefunk

The fact that Valve was able to so perfectly coordinate this ARG across 13 different games with 13 different developers is nothing short of astounding. The concept art and alternate box art is really cool too.

Super Punch might be missing some - the complete collection of art discovered so far is at this section of the ARG site:

http://valvearg.com/wiki/Aperture_Science_Login_Screens/Images

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 10, 2011, 21:24 elefunk

The multiplayer for DS1 and 2 relied on Microsoft Zone, which either doesn't exist anymore, or they couldn't get the license for these versions of the game to work with them. Probably the former.  

News Comments > Gabe Newell Interview
4. Re: Gabe Newell Interview Apr 8, 2011, 01:21 elefunk

Cutter wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 21:44:
Towel boy = code for fluffer at men's bathhouse???

Way to NOT ask about wtf is going on with HL! That's all anyone wants to know.
What a fucking boring interview question. Thank the lord that interviewers stopped asking about Half-Life already. There is so much more interesting to talk about at this point, stuff that Valve will actually say something interesting about.

News Comments > Section 8: Prejudice in May
9. Re: Section 8: Prejudice in May Apr 7, 2011, 00:29 elefunk

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 00:15:
I'm not someone who turns down a game because of GFWL, but when you make a mutliplayer-focused game and sell it only on GFWL's god-awful digital store I think I can turn that down.

Reallllllly dumb move if you care about PC sales, which I assume they don't.
It'll be on Steam too, just like the first one.

7. Re: Section 8: Prejudice in May Apr 6, 2011, 19:49 elefunk

Morgan19 wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 18:39:
For rocket launchers and similar weapons where it makes sense, sure. But including auto-aim/lock-on for weapons like assault rifles and sniper rifles? There's no reason for it.
The point is that Section 8 was designed and balanced for it from the ground-up. It's not a cheat, it's not an assist, it's a bonus perk with severe consequences for abusing it.

Section 8 by design has a much lower damage model than most every other shooter out there, where battles intentionally last a whole lot longer. The lock-on perk has an extremely minimal overall effect on a battle, but in rare but key situations it's tremendously useful.

2. Re: Section 8: Prejudice in May Apr 6, 2011, 16:53 elefunk

The auto-aim isn't an assist, it's a fundamental gameplay aspect to the game that worked extremely well in the first and was balanced almost perfectly.

The first game was pretty awesome. The problem is its generic art style and Games for Windows Live.

News Comments > Dawn of War II Retribution Dark Angels Next Week
7. Re: Dawn of War II Retribution Dark Angels Next Week Apr 1, 2011, 01:01 elefunk

I love it when developers release cosmetic DLC like this. Like when Tripwire released all those character models for Killing Floor.

It lets them make some more well-deserved money for their excellent game from people who actually care about it, but people like me who don't care aren't missing out on any gameplay at all.

News Comments > RPS on Crysis 2
26. Re: RPS on Crysis 2 Mar 30, 2011, 12:13 elefunk

Rockn-Roll wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 03:34:
I remember hanging out with a cousin back in 1999. My cousin had a game console...Either a Sony or Nintendo can't remember which...but what I do remember was that he had a huge number of games for it...like 100 or so. I played a lot of them with him and they were excellent games...I remember a batman game that was especially fun. They were so much fun, in fact, that I immediately went online to see if they were available for the PC...outcome? Nope...not a single one.

Why should Crysis 2 be any different? Or any console game for that matter. The game developers have to make a decision...should they spend the money to port it to the PC? For the vast number of console games made in the 20th century the answer was NO...mostly because the game source code had to be severely re-written to accomodate the different compilers. In the 21st century the game source code can be written to be exactly the same for all platforms if none of the platform specific code is used. And, the same compiler can be used with only a change in the library and target platform.

But, should they do this? I think the obvious answer is NO! The reason is that platform specific code is there to overcome deficiencies in the platform...typically in performance, but also in features. Huge across-the-board sacrifices have to be made in order to maintain non-platform specific source code i.e. no platform gets the advanced performance and features that a game designed for it will have. A game built this way will never be as good as a game designed specifically for a specific platform.

In my opinion...any game designed for a console should stay on the console and never be "ported" to the PC. That way the console gamers will have a better product and PC gamers won't get their hand-me-downs. That said...I don't see anything wrong with a developer wanting to make a PC game out of the same ideas and concepts that they used to make the console game. However, the code should NOT be directly linked...I don't see any reason that the programmer can't use the console game code as a reference, but the code should be newly designed for the PC.

A very good example of this is the mouse vs the game pad. These two controllers provide very different inputs into the game code which require very different code to implement.

The input that a mouse provides is the actual position of the mouse i.e. how far the mouse has moved since the last input. The player controls the position of the game object i.e. the aiming cross-hairs.

A game pad on the other hand provides the speed at which the game should move the game object. The player controls the speed at which the object is moving, but it's the game that controls the actual position. This is why auto-aim is absolutely necessary for consoles...because the player actually has no control over aiming.

Thus, if the game is written for a console then the mouse input routine must convert the player's selected position i.e. the player's aiming skills, into a simulated speed of movement. Not only does this result in PC player skill being ignored, but it means that when the player moves the mouse the game will continue to move the game object, for instance the aim, until the mouse data is sampled again and the simulated speed is calculated to be zero. This results in sluggish performance from the PC game and aiming being off. Our brains can compensate for this, but it's still there and in fact can lead to headaches as well as frustration when the player knows he is making the proper controller movement, but the game simply appears to be not fast enough to keep up.

Crysis 2 for the PC? Nope...won't be buying it...multiplayer is a joke with 4vs4 when the PC standard is at least 8vs8 or my favorite is 16vs16. The most fun I have ever had...so far...is playing 16vs16 Q3Arena CTF on Dueling Keeps...it's a small map and the only weapon you have to start off with is your fists...only one player on each team every 10 seconds can get a rocket launcher and I believe the lower level there's a plasma gun. This means the vast majority of time it's 14 players running at the other 14 players with nothing but fists...a total blast...a mosh pit battle at the center of the map. If this was 4vs4? At first it would be 2 players running around the map trying to hit the other 2 players who also have only fists while the 2 players that have weapons dominate the players on the other team who only get the weapons...then they will all have weapons after 10 seconds. There is no mosh pit battle. In fact, the strategy will most likely be for the players who get the weapons should return to the base and defend the base while the players without weapons chase each other around the map...stupid.
WHAT

THE

FUCK?????

News Comments > RPS on Crysis 2
13. Re: RPS on Crysis 2 Mar 30, 2011, 01:09 elefunk

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 00:42:
I wonder how many people won't get the joke?
Pretty much everyone in this comments thread. It's pretty fucking hilarious!

News Comments > Avalanche on Piracy, DRM, and Ports
21. Re: Avalanche on Piracy, DRM, and Ports Mar 26, 2011, 23:55 elefunk

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 21:14:
elefunk wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 21:09:
To people who still don't like steam, sure it's an irony to a point. But to a developer using it, it's so much more than just DRM. It's a platform that makes it incredibly easy for them to release updates and dlc, track sales down to the instant, and quickly give discounts with. All that infrastructure is incredibly difficult and expensive for a developer to build from scratch, so getting it for free with Steamworks is very enticing even without the drm aspect coming up. There's also things like cloud settings and saves that help customers, which would be even more difficult to do without Steamworks.

If they didn't care about the DRM they could make Steam an optional install for online features like a few games have done in the past.
I don't see how that could be the case. Any game that uses steamworks features requires EVERY copy to use Steamworks. The DRM part isn't optional.

News Comments > Avalanche on Piracy, DRM, and Ports
12. Re: Avalanche on Piracy, DRM, and Ports Mar 26, 2011, 21:09 elefunk

To people who still don't like steam, sure it's an irony to a point. But to a developer using it, it's so much more than just DRM. It's a platform that makes it incredibly easy for them to release updates and dlc, track sales down to the instant, and quickly give discounts with. All that infrastructure is incredibly difficult and expensive for a developer to build from scratch, so getting it for free with Steamworks is very enticing even without the drm aspect coming up. There's also things like cloud settings and saves that help customers, which would be even more difficult to do without Steamworks.  

News Comments > Steam Voice Chat Gets SILKy Smoothness
9. Re: Steam Voice Chat Gets SILKy Smoothness Mar 22, 2011, 15:56 elefunk

Techie714 wrote on Mar 22, 2011, 14:38:
So this wont work with Battlefield:BC2 but it will work in TF2, right?
If you use voice chat directly in BC2, of course not since BC2 only uses Steam for some distribution. None of Steamworks APIs.

But if you spin up a voice chat session through Steam chat rooms in the overlay and just so happen to start playing BC2, then the Steam chat will use the new codec.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Trailer
6. Re: Crysis 2 Trailer Mar 17, 2011, 16:15 elefunk

Gameplay looks fantastic. All the opportunity for creativity offered by the original, if not moreso. Looked easy, but probably because it was on easy/normal difficulty for purposes of capturing video without dying. Delta is probably still the way to go

Not buying it at launch, but probably soon after.

News Comments > Minecraft Password Warning
4. Re: Minecraft Password Warning Mar 14, 2011, 20:01 elefunk

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 19:25:
And this is why you don't code your game in Java.
........because social engineering and hacked clients are exclusive to java-based games?

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City in October
1. Re: Batman: Arkham City in October Mar 11, 2011, 11:30 elefunk

Yes please. FEED ME MY BIRTHDAY DELIGHTS  

News Comments > Gold - Homefront
18. Re: Gold - Homefront Mar 4, 2011, 12:32 elefunk

|oR|jonvall wrote on Mar 4, 2011, 11:31:
Is this even coming out on the PC? I only saw xbox on their webpage for this game.
It's not just coming to PC, but it's using Steamworks, and because of Steamworks it's getting a ton of PC-exclusive features. Things that either can't be done on consoles or would be too difficult to do on consoles without having Steamworks there to do all the back-end hard work.

http://community.homefront-game.com/blog-post/homefront-pc

Now whether or not it'll be a good game, I have no idea. I loved the BF1942 Desert Combat mod, but Frontlines wasn't very good at all.

1101 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo