Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peters

Real Name Peters   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname elefunk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 2, 2007, 14:55
Total Comments 1101 (Pro)
User ID 41586

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June
6. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 14, 2011, 23:09 elefunk

Riker wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 22:40:
Am I reading that right? That only about 8% of physical game sales are PC games?
Of course, do you actually expect it to be more than 8%?

I mean, first you have the obvious fact that "PC" is illogically stacked up against 6 other competing platforms combined:

-Playstation 3
-Xbox 360
-Wii
-DS
-PSP
-3DS

But then of course you have the fact that digital distribution has been totally controlling PC gaming for years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon
1. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 13, 2011, 16:52 elefunk

Awesome, hopefully this also means it'll be at PAX where I'll actually be attending.  

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
22. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 10, 2011, 22:47 elefunk

Flatline wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 18:09:
elefunk wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 16:17:
I think most people don't realize that making a game pay-to-win is a negative. People will stop playing, and the game will die. It's why practically no one plays Battlefield Heroes or Battlefield P4F in the US, while countless other F2P games are remarkably successful.

Err... everyone realizes that pay-to-win is a negative. It's why we bitch and complain about it.

Besides, saying that gametime can unlock everything that you can buy is a dubious statement. If it takes 1000 hours of gameplay time to unlock the same items that 50 bucks unlocks, that's pay-to-win for 99.9% of players.
You saw words and missed the point because you didn't read the rest of the post.

I'm saying it's a negative for the developer and publisher. It's fucking obvious it's a negative for the gamer, but smart F2P game developers know that it will also kill their game quickly if it's pay-to-win, which is exactly why successful F2P games don't follow that model, and which is why Tribes Ascend probably won't either.

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
2. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 10, 2011, 16:17 elefunk

You guys should check out the latest episode of the PC Gamer Podcast. They make some extremely strong arguments for free-to-play games (when appropriate, not always), and I think Tribes Ascend is very promising.

I think most people don't realize that making a game pay-to-win is a negative. People will stop playing, and the game will die. It's why practically no one plays Battlefield Heroes or Battlefield P4F in the US, while countless other F2P games are remarkably successful.

As long as Hi-Rez keeps the balance fair for free players, which I think they'll be able to do, Tribes Ascend could be pretty fucking cool.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Ultra Update (DX11) Released
19. Re: Crysis 2 Ultra Update (DX11) Released Jun 27, 2011, 14:06 elefunk

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 13:45:
Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 13:41:
I'm pretty sure EA had said that Battlefield 3 would ONLY be available on Origin (for PC digital download.)

Creston

I don't think so, it is up on D2D

http://www.direct2drive.com/10557/product/Buy-Battlefield-3-Limited-Edition-Download
Note that that isn't the "limited edition", which means that you won't get Back to Karkand for free when it is released unlike if you were to preorder at retail or from Origin :-/

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play
25. Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play Jun 23, 2011, 23:56 elefunk

I like the distinction between "free" and "premium" accounts. Makes sense.  

News Comments > Windows L.A. Noire This Fall
52. Re: Windows L.A. Noire This Fall Jun 23, 2011, 20:06 elefunk

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 18:44:
Rockstar can take L.A. Noire and shove it right up their ass.

We PC players KNOW YOUR SCREWED US GOOD ON Red Dead Redemption.

nah. Some of us actually care more about games we get than being butthurt over games we didn't get.

News Comments > Windows L.A. Noire This Fall
8. Re: Windows L.A. Noire This Fall Jun 23, 2011, 11:42 elefunk

Wow cool, definitely unexpected after RDR didn't come to PC.  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Über Update Thursday, Free Play This Week
4. Re: Team Fortress 2 Über Update Thursday, Free Play This Week Jun 21, 2011, 12:49 elefunk

The "week-long free weekend" is almost guaranteed to transition into TF2 going completely free-to-play. Right now there's no option to buy the game at all, which is the opposite of most free weekends on Steam which are used as a way to convince people to buy the game.

Monday Night Combat, a recent example, was on sale for 33% off during the free weekend.

News Comments > BF3 Preorder Backlash
8. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 10:54 elefunk

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 10:07:
Yeah, and boycotts always work.
It did for Bad Company.

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=041008_2

News Comments > BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours
16. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 9, 2011, 23:04 elefunk

Teddy wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 22:35:
As much as I enjoy playing the Battlefield games multiplayer, this nonsense has to stop.

"It's a multiplayer game!"

"It doesn't need single player!"

No, it is NOT a multiplayer game. You may prefer that side of it, but this is being built, marketed and sold as a single player AND multiplayer game. People have every right to expect a reasonble single player experience from a game that's being sold as such. Telling them they shouldn't because YOU prefer multiplayer, or because YOU think the single player component is unimportant is just plain stupid.
.......and 6-10 hours is a perfectly reasonably-lengthed single-player shooter especially when sold with what will quite possibly be the best multiplayer shooter in years.

News Comments > BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours
6. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 9, 2011, 22:01 elefunk

Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 21:45:
Why even bother in that case? This is why I don't buy these sorts of games anymore. I can see 2 or 3 movies for $15 and get 6-10 hours entertainment, as opposed to $70 they want.
Are you joking?

Seriously, are you joking?

Because here you're implying that you won't even bother with the multiplayer, which you know is the entire point of Battlefield games.

News Comments > Arma 2 Free Announced
10. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 12:14 elefunk

Seems like a great way to do an extended free demo to entice people to buy the full game.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Open Beta in September, Game in October
23. Re: Battlefield 3 Open Beta in September, Game in October Jun 6, 2011, 19:34 elefunk

The Bad Company 2 beta was released a month and a half before the game shipped. The beta was in terrible shape while the final game was fucking awesome.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups
13. Re: Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups Jun 1, 2011, 02:15 elefunk

Teddy wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 01:18:
elefunk wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 01:01:
You guys realize that part of Elite is free, right? They're not going to charge you for using a beta, and Elite itself doesn't cost money. It's some extra features that are a part of Elite that cost money, like training videos.

Nope, I don't realize that and so far as I've seen there isn't any indication of what will or won't be part of the paid services, nor any indication that I've seen that any part of elite is going to be free. In fact the statement made by kotick about it seems to make it clear that NONE of elite is going to be free (barring the beta test).

Perhaps you should read actual official articles about it then instead of endlessly raging at speculation then?

link

The company hasn't yet decided how to set the price of the service, but said a number of the features -- groups and careers, for example -- will now be incorporated into the out-of-the-box retail experience going forward, free for all players. The rest of Elite will be positioned as a fuller-featured "premium experience," and Elite subscribers receive all forthcoming downloadable content and add-ons to Call of Duty games included with their subscription. Non-subscribers can still purchase them a la carte.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups
11. Re: Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups Jun 1, 2011, 01:01 elefunk

You guys realize that part of Elite is free, right? They're not going to charge you for using a beta, and Elite itself doesn't cost money. It's some extra features that are a part of Elite that cost money, like training videos.  

News Comments > Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed
16. Re: Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed May 31, 2011, 11:22 elefunk

I think the funniest think about this entire announcement is that it makes people on Blue's News pretend like they would have given a shit about Call of Duty if this didn't exist.

Man, some of you just live to rage on forums, don't you? I mean, this announcement is spectacularly asinine, charging for features that Steam and even Bungle.net have given for free for years, but that's why, you know, I'm ignoring it, and not planning to buy it.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed
5. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 17:41 elefunk

coldcut wrote on May 26, 2011, 17:27:
That's a very nice move. But the question still resides, why they even started with DRM in the first place. Anyway, this guy doesn't talk shit like most other company's CEOs when it comes to DRM, in most cases it comes down to piracy. But this guy actually talks about supporting/rewarding the buyers of the game, and, what's most important, he not only talks, but also ACTS in this way.

Edit: a gazillion typos fixed
He said right there in the paragraph highlighted by Blue - the DRM prevented piracy before the game was officially released. Zero-day piracy protection is the only form of piracy protection that actually works, since the bits aren't physically available for pirates to use before the game is out.

News Comments > Capcom DRM Follow-up
9. Re: Capcom DRM Follow-up May 26, 2011, 16:54 elefunk

I don't understand why it's so fucking difficult for them to simply validate a legitimate CD key before allowing anything to take place on their infrastructure. It's worked for nearly two decades for competent developers.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Tools Released
12. Re: Portal 2 Tools Released May 11, 2011, 15:16 elefunk

I'm sure all of the people raging about the DLC store that sells meaningless crap, about how Valve has "changed", about how they don't care about supporting customers anymore, will come out and say sorry for being so stupid?

Please?

1101 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo