Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 879 (Graduate)
User ID 40534
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 27, 2015, 19:59 Aero
Well, it's a better job than soldiering, and yet people love war games.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud
36. Re: Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud Jan 26, 2015, 18:01 Aero
Gib007 wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 16:51:
Well I bought mine from CJS CDKeys, so I hope that isn't a problem. However, ironically if they deactivated mine, it would have zero impact on my gaming because of how broken 21:9 FOV is anyway! I wouldn't be happy, of course not, since I paid about 28 for it, but hey, I'm not happy with Far Cry 4 now, hahaha.

It works pretty well in 21:9 for me. As I recall, you have to run it in borderless window mode to get it to render properly. The only problem remaining is that the gas-mask image overlay doesn't cover the entire screen. Thats annoying, but not a big deal. It's not the best 21:9 support among recent games, but very far from the worst.

As for the keys, of course they're shady and I don't see that Ubisoft has done anything wrong. It would have been a much wiser move to wait until they could somehow render them invalid to begin with, preventing you from installing rather than taking away something you've already installed. On the other hand, there are probably legitimate reasons that's not feasible without being too intrusive or getting too many false positives. Regardless, someone was going to have to come down on selling out-of-region some time and going after individual sites like G2A would just be so much whack-a-mole.

Had I paid $15 for a $60 video game key near release day, I can't say as I could feel justifiably upset if they deactivated it. I either would have known or should have known something wasn't on the level. Obviously having different prices for different markets creates problems for downloadable content, but just averaging it out would screw over a lot of people. There isn't an easy solution to that.
News Comments > Ferrari Virtual Academy Closed
1. Re: Ferrari Virtual Academy Closed Jan 10, 2015, 14:47 Aero
Though I'm not pissed about FVA in particular because I don't play it anymore (though it was quite good), I did pay about $40 for it all told just three years ago, and it's a prime example for folks who are against always-on DRM.

Ammunition for the cause, you know.

(And it's worth pointing out, that Kunos Simulazioni isn't responsible for this, they just developed the software under license for Ferrari SpA, and it is they who are responsible).

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2015, 15:26.
News Comments > Mafia III News Soon?
12. Re: Mafia III News Soon? Jan 8, 2015, 00:46 Aero
They've certainly demonstrated that are a creative bunch and that they have both the technical and artistic chops to pull of something interesting. At least for me though, just more of the same would make it a $20 ($30 if it's very well done) purchase. I've replayed the first two fairly recently, and honestly, though good, I don't really think they hold up so well anymore (technical limitations aside). What struck me most about particularly the first Mafia game was how it was so tastefully presented and the the script was, by video game standards of the time, incredibly well developed. Good artistic directors and good writers are much more common in the games industry today than they were then.

Certainly, on second thought, I wouldn't really want them to try to make the series into something that it isn't. A run-of-the-mill third person shooter, no matter how good the plot is, just doesn't really cut it. So, they can't stick to the same formula, but I wouldn't want them to go way off base either (like, as I mentioned, turning it into a more advanced, urban variant of Far Cry 3/4 might be too far).

I guess I just don't know what I want. I do, however, have faith that they will have better ideas than me, and could very well surprise everybody with something amazing.
News Comments > Mafia III News Soon?
5. Re: Mafia III News Soon? Jan 7, 2015, 20:40 Aero
Though I have nothing but fond memories of the Mafia games, they are going to have to really step it up a couple notches for another sequel. Just a big map that *looks* like a city with a small handful of more detailed interactive areas won't really cut it. And has already been mentioned, driving a car around an open world city is extremely old hat these days.

Even though the Mafia series always did well with the plot, script and characters, when it comes down to it, their competition is GTA5. Just taking the more grown-up, serious route won't cut it by itself. They're going to have to *really* step it up. It's going to need more than just that. Saints Row couldn't really compete with GTA5's production values and scale, but it (largely) made up for it by being silly and over the top. Sleeping Dogs made it work by having a fun kung fu fighting system.

Perhaps it could go with a basic strategic element (sort of Shadows of Mordor Style), and throw in a bit of LA Noire's verbal character interaction gameplay so there are some plot choices--give the player other ways to interact with the world than just shooting things.

Despite my misgivings, it's still good news though and I hope it's set in the 70's (which, I'm willing to bet it will be).
News Comments > Mad Catz Announces $300 PC/Mobile Controller
10. Re: Mad Catz Announces $300 PC/Mobile Controller Jan 7, 2015, 01:17 Aero
It is frankly amazing that even Mad Catz let this obviously and demonstrably terrible idea get this far.

Given its size, and especially its price, who the hell is going to buy this? I'm certainly not going to lug it around with me on the go. It would be easier to carry around a Gameboy or Vita or whatever in addition to my phone or tablet, and for less money. And at home, I may as well buy an Xbox or Playstation if I'm that serious (or hell, even an Nvidia Shield).

If it were roughly the same dimensions of a typical smartphone and had some quality low-profile integrated controls--maybe a couple thumbsticks similar to those on the Nintendo 3DS, three or four front buttons and a couple bumpers on the top, and also a physical QWERTY keyboard on the opposite side, then *that* would be something I might consider buying. Even though I think that would actually be pretty cool, I still wouldn't pay anything like $300 for it.

This thing just fits no sane use case.

Okay, I see that SirKnight would be interested at a lower price. I don't mean to imply that you aren't sane SirKnight and certainly mean no disrespect, but how and where would you see yourself using this? I can't, of course, account for situations in which other people play games on their tablets. I would also certainly agree that once it's connected, it would be a superior way to play games on a tablet to using silly onscreen widget controls. Would you carry it around with you out and about, or would you just leave it at home? I can perhaps see that (though as you say, at $30 rather than $300)... it could be a way to play games while your wife/girlfriend/kids/whatever are watching TV or something, and you're obligated to be present and therefore can't go off and play computer games.

Obviously at that price point, the handheld consoles are still better and with that thing on there, you couldn't pretend like you were using your tablet for something serious.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2015, 01:30.
News Comments > Razer Unveils OSVR Headset
17. Re: Razer Unveils OSVR Headset Jan 6, 2015, 22:26 Aero
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 19:49:
I'm a bit uncomfortable with VR in general because I already get sick from standard FPS' on my 27" monitor. I keep thinking my body will get used to it, but I just don't play games enough to get over this hump. This tech looks amazing, but if it exacerbates my issue I'll hate it.

If it's done right, it might be possible that it could even solve your problem. Obviously I have no idea what your particular problem is, but an idealized VR setup would be very much like natural vision. In theory, it should be more natural and possibly not as sick-inducing as looking at a screen.

I don't know a sure-fire way to test this, but finding a 3D game that allows you to adjust the FOV within wide margins could help you test it. See if you can find find a FOV that is more comfortable to look at. The "realistic" FOV would be in the neighborhood of the arc of your vision taken up by your screen from where you're sitting--probably somewhere typically between 15 and 30 degrees depending... so it's like you're looking out a window rather than through a fish-eye lens which is what most 3D games are like. Though not a useful FOV for most games, if that doesn't make you feel ill, you'd probably be okay with VR.

Likewise, some people feel ill playing a game with an FOV that is too small. This is probably a more complicated situation. At a guess, I'd say they are good at zoning out their surroundings and can interpret what's on the screen as though it were their entire field of vision, projecting their sense of visual awareness entirely into the virtual picture. Therefore when the FOV is too small, it feels entirely unnatural and makes them feel ill (sort of like trying to walk around all day wearing blinders, or toilet-paper roll goggles). Again, VR would probably sort this out.

Of course, it could also be the somatosensory/inner ear disconnect with the virtual world that could be the problem too, in which case I'd guess VR would be that much worse than a screen. You can test this (to an extent) by playing games either with the lights on or the lights off and see which is worse. If it's worse with them off, it's more likely (though not guaranteed) this is the case. On the bright side, if this is the case for you, there is a good chance taking some dramamine could help alleviate the problem.

And, certainly of course, it could be a combination of these possibilities or, or course, something else entirely.

Personally, though I don't (usually) have motion sickness related to video games, I do tend toward the situation that prefers a lower field of view (though it doesn't make me physically sick, I find the higher FOVs that many peopler prefer... like 90 degrees, to be uncomfortable. Depending on what sort of game it is, I find 60-75 degrees (vertical, I believe) ideal for FPS games. In flight and racing sims, I like to go lower (I can go as low as I like (down to the "natural" FOV anyways) without discomfort, it's only the smaller FOV and therefore limited visibility becoming a hindrance that forces me to find a higher a happy medium.

I guess, after all that rambling, my point is that if and when you buy a VR headset, if you can't just try someone else's first, make sure there is a good return policy. That's what I'll be doing for sure. I learned my lesson many years before, when I bought som shutter 3D glasses, the sort that needed a CRT display. Cool as they were, the combination of the flicker and (at that time) hacked-in wonky stereo 3D implementations meant I'd be totally mentally exhausted after about a half hour of use. After a couple weeks of trying to get used to it, they ended up in a box in the basement where they still are to this day (I suppose, in the off chance I ever own a CRT monitor again).

And my final point, only somewhat related, is that *all of this* is exactly why every single game should always have and adjustable FOV. At least within reason. Everyone is different. Hell, I had a girlfriend once that literally could not perceive 3D graphics--it was all flat shapes to her. She acted as though this was a matter of pride. I wasn't foolish enough to tell her my own opinion, which was that she must have a remarkably feeble visual cortex.

edit (ignoring obvious grammar mistakes above, and for yet more ramblosity... too much coffee I guess):

This is a reason I hope the return policies are very generous (since most people won't be able to go to a friend or a showroom and try one out, and that probably wouldn't but it anyways). When I first got a TrackIR, I thought I'd never get used to it, and it was a mental strain and disorienting at first. Even after a week or two of determined practice, though the disorientation wasn't as bad, an hour long session with it would leave me mentally drained. However, soon after that, it just suddenly clicked and became perfectly natural and now I could never play a flight-sim or a space-sim without it. I can use it for hours with no strain at all (and I even find myself involuntarily making minor jerking motions with my head trying to look around when watching a video of someone play ED or DCS without a TrackIR). For me, it was the single greatest leap in virtual immersion since 3D accelerators. If I only had 10 minutes to try it or a few days or even a week to make up my mind about returning it, I may well have missed out on all that.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2015, 22:56.
News Comments > Razer Unveils OSVR Headset
15. Re: Razer Unveils OSVR Headset Jan 6, 2015, 20:56 Aero
Seems the entire VR industry is dependent on what the tablet/slabphone market is doing, at least until they get enough volume to make building custom panels a thing. I suspect, given the way eyes work, a uniform density matrix of pixels probably isn't ideal for VR anyways so the only option is overkill. 2048x1536 and 2560x1600 7" panels are relatively common already, but they only do 60Hz as far as I know.

What we're going to need to do is convince people that they need a 2560x1600 120Hz tablet. Maybe Apple will push refresh rates as the next big thing once (and I think we're already at that point) we hit severe diminishing returns on resolution increases. LCD TVs are already making 240Hz refresh rates a major bullet point in their advertising (though probably the 240Hz is through some trickery and it's really more like 120Hz).

I also see quite a few 5" 2560x1440 panels. If you could manage the optics so you had one for each eye, that would be pretty good, though again, nobody cares about the refresh rate of their phone display.

Anyways, as I see it, badass VR headsets are entirely inevitable at this point. It's just that I want it now, or at least this year. And yes certainly (at least hopefully, though unfortunately), we're probably going to need some new video cards. Those resolutions and having to maintain a minimum of 85 fps going to be rough.

Either way, I am totally stoked to see what happens over the next couple years. I can't really say I have a lot of respect for Razor's hardware (and certainly not their firmware), but sooner or later, VR will explode, and I wouldn't mind being spoiled for choice.

ed: Marginally improved grammar.

Okay, I know this is a really, really horrible thing to bring up here... but what we need is the consoles to get hip to VR. The current generation of consoles is obviously in no way up to the challenge, and they probably are expected to have a lifetime of 10 years. Maybe with some luck, and all the super badass stuff happening over in the PC arena, Sony and Microsoft will feel obligated, sooner rather than later, to release a VR based console. They'll invest a billion dollars, and build fabs to churn out bespoke VR LCD/OLED/whatever tech. With them in competition, and the resources they could bring to the table, we could maybe even see displays designed from square one to go into VR headsets. I have no idea what that would look like, but maybe they'd be curved 21:9, high refresh rate, variable pixel density displays or whatever (no idea what I'm on about, just you know, a display that would only be useful for VR).

I can only imagine it would sell. Imagine if you were a tired, not-entirely-engaged parent (ie just like about half of them are now), and all you had to do was plop a VR helmet on your kid, put him in the corner, and enjoy the game/soap opera/infidelity/whatever for hours while they were totally engrossed in VR and thus oblivious to the outside world.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2015, 21:21.
News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
37. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 17:10 Aero
Certainly this thing looks silly to me for $500, but otherwise I believe the knee-jerk hate for CL may not be founded anymore. They definitely wouldn't be my first choice for high(er) end audio gear (ie. anything other than sound cards for games and day-to-day typical consumer audio consumption in the $100 or less range). While it's true that one data point doesn't make a trend, they largely cleaned up their act with the Z series and they are at least worth considering when comparison shopping. Who knows if it will last, though. I get the impression they started over with the drivers for the Z series, but that doesn't mean they won't get all bloated and buggy again in the future.

I'm still, of course, salty about what happened when they bought Cambridge Soundworks and maybe to a lesser extent E-mu. Cambridge Soundworks used to be my goto source for mid-range speakers that punched well above their weight, but now they're cheap mass-produced plastic crap (my 25 year old Ensemble II's are way, way better than the Ensemble V's (?) I happened to acquire, at relatively the same price, and they definitely lack the no-questions-asked replacement policy and warranty CS used to have.
27. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 15:26 Aero
I'll be interested to see what happens if and when software and hardware starts supporting Dolby Atmos (based on the little bit I understand of it). Then, maybe, we'll get closer to the virtual spacial sound we used to take for granted 10 years ago. In the late 90's with four speakers and an A3D sound card, things were getting impressive. Sounds could seem to come from above, below, we'd get occlusion and environmental (and cross environmental) effects. It was all looking like there were going to be great things to come, and then we just ended up with film-style surround sound. I'm sure it could all be done in software, but except for a few outfits, nobody is really trying, and it seems like nobody really cares.
6. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 12:01 Aero
The Sound Blaster Z was actually okay, though unless you're a musician (in which case you wouldn't buy Creative Labs crap), it was the first decent card they'd made in a long time (particularly the drivers, relatively). Asus (at least used to) and a few other brands make decent stuff, but unless you have a really shitty onboard chipset, it's hard to recommend a discrete sound card.

Of course, if you're doing professional audio work, none of this
consumer crap is anything you want.
News Comments > Boxing Day Legal Briefs
5. Re: Boxing Day Legal Briefs Dec 26, 2014, 13:35 Aero
I think this is more like one of the situations in which I am most likely to want to pirate something: I know it sucks and I would never pay for it, but there is something that makes me curious enough to be tempted to have a look anyways. This is, for instance, why I've seen an episode of 'My Little Pony.'

If I didn't know the whole story and was only acquainted with 'The Interview' via sensationalist news headlines, it could have been one of those things.
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 23, 2014, 23:26 Aero
PeeWee Herman was (to an extent) funny originally, but his character started out as surreal sort of creepy adult-oriented humor and peaked quickly with the first movie because it dovetailed so well with Tim Burton's own creepiness. It went downhill from there, though, as he became a just a manic children's entertainer, and also because he was a character and you can only get so much out of one character.

And of course, it probably is a generational thing because if you were already done with the character, and *then* saw 'Pee-Wee's Big Adventure', it wouldn't have nearly the same effect. If that was your first exposure to him, though, the WTFness of it all made it pretty great.

It's pretty much why I'm creeped out by clowns. "It" had nothing on the nightmare scene in that movie.
News Comments > GSC Game World Website
1. Re: GSC Game World Website Dec 22, 2014, 17:03 Aero
I have no idea what's left of them, but a proper open-world Stalker sequel or remake or whatever would be most splendid. Preferably one based on a third-party engine that's been thoroughly debugged.

I wouldn't even object to a cross-platform release so long as they take the PC version seriously. Now is the time (if not slightly past) given that survival games are pretty popular.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Assetto Corsa
12. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Assetto Corsa Dec 21, 2014, 16:08 Aero
theglaze wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 12:29:
The resolution always looks a little off with my AC, there are more jagged edges than I care to look at whether its the shadows on the track, the walls alongside it, or the car itself. Changing the video settings appears to have little effect on the image quality.

I'm not entirely sure if it's still possible in 1.0, which I've only played a bit with, but if you turn off post-processing you can run MSAA. You lose some effects, but most people I know think it's for the better, graphically, overall.
11. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Assetto Corsa Dec 21, 2014, 15:46 Aero
I dunno about iRacing. They still haven't got the tire model right in iRacing after so many iterations. I'd say rF2 and AC both have considerably better tire models than iRacing, which is now a good generation behind. I haven't tried the very latest season build of iRacing, but in the last one the grip was still too unpredictable.

As I'm seeing things, rF2 actually has the most advanced physics model available now, but it's so damn complex nobody, not even ISI, has it figured out yet (it's always been modders who get the most out of ISI's engine more so than ISI themselves). When the DW12 is updated next, *that* will be something worth looking into. Combined with Live Track and the weather system, it's the most complete sim package, bug again, it's hard to recommend because the content still hasn't truly come.

AC has a relatively simple tire model, but they've got it tuned to perfection, and it probably has the best physics on average of all of them at the moment.

Right now, things are pretty complicated. iRacing has the best tracks and the online service is great with probably the best netcode (rF2 not being far behind). rF2 has the most overall potential, the best AI by a huge margin (if you care about that), but its potential hasn't been realized yet in terms of content and the graphics are a generation behind. AC has the best graphics and the most consistent physics out of the box, but the worst netcode and AI.

iRacing will surely eventually get their tire model right. rF2 will eventually get the content it's simulation technology deserves, and AC will likely improve their netcode and AI.

Two or so ago years ago, I wrote an article for AutoSimSport, when NTMv1 for iRacing was about to be released, rFactor2 was around the corner, and AC's alpha wasn't much further off (and even, hah, LFS S3 got a mention), and proclaimed we were standing on the verge of a new dawn for sim-racing. I think I was mostly right, except it was maybe more like noon the last Tuesday-but-one rather than the dawn.

Okay. Now, this time for sure, it's the new dawn.
5. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Assetto Corsa Dec 20, 2014, 20:59 Aero
atoms wrote on Dec 20, 2014, 17:47:
I must have overlooked that in the pre-release, thanks.. helps a lot.

Easy to do, it had the generic icon and was called "Onboard Settings" which is pretty vague.
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Assetto Corsa Dec 20, 2014, 16:07 Aero
atoms wrote on Dec 20, 2014, 15:48:
This is a pretty good sim, A great alternative to iRacing which I admit has to be the best. Unlike iRacing though, Asetto Corsa has a great single player campaign, but still lacks features like FOV editing during racing which can be pretty annoying.

There is a view altering app you can activate. In the final version, the icon is a helmet with a triangle indicating a FOV extending from it. It will save your settings per car.
News Comments > Ship Ahoy - 4K PC Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
1. Re: Ship Ahoy - 4K PC Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Dec 18, 2014, 19:13 Aero
I see it's on sale for $13 (first time I've seen a game get a 33% sale on release day).

I've heard it's pretty good all things considered, and maybe worth $10 or even $13. Of course, the only Metal Gear game I ever tried to play was 4 and I think I could only take it for about 2 hours before giving up (probably more than half of which was cut scenes with paper-thin characters). Other people I respect say it's one of the best games of all time though, so even though I won't touch 4 again maybe (the real) 5 will be worth it.

This one does look like it might be okay and I'll probably buy it on sale, but maybe not until a month or so before the real game is released.
News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
35. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 18:32 Aero
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 16:13:
Hoping for big sales on:
Project Zomboid
Dead Rising 3
All AC games
The Lone Dark
This War of Mine
Road Redemption
Shadow of Mordor
Life is Feudal

Picked up Shadow of Mordor for $26 through GMG plus the front page code just now. It was on my "buy at $20" list, and I figure that was close enough.
879 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo