Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Evochron Renegades Ships, Demo
13. Re: cool Sep 28, 2007, 18:46 Aero

I'm liking it too, I don't know how this whole Evochron thing managed to pass me by.

I think the graphics are excellent. They aren't very technically advanced, of course, but they're tasteful and do their job very well. I like the fact that it doesn't require the latest hardware as so many tech-demo cum games do these days. It's also impressive what they managed to fit into a 25 meg download.

The interface usually makes or breaks these sorts of games, and Evochron has a pretty decent set-up. It's very straightforward but it's not always obvious where you should (or can) click. The 'Launch' button in the navigation system, for instance, doesn't exactly pop out at you.

Overall, I'm very impressed. It has most of the features I'm after in a nice package. I'll mess around with the demo some more and probably end up buying it.

It seems like such a trivial thing, but the background radio-chatter in Freelancer somehow really livened up the atmosphere. I'd like to see something like that implemented in this game.

So far, I'm pretty impressed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X Motor Racing Ships, Demo
1. Okay... Sep 28, 2007, 15:38 Aero

This is not a bad start. It's still a little rough around the edges, and the UI is a tad confusing- I had a little trouble setting up my wheel- but the cars feel pretty good which is the most important thing.

I hope they continue to develop it. It's sort or reminiscent of very early versions of LFS. Still a ways to go though, but I hope they stick with it. The world has been a little short of good racing simulators as of late.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > Sam & Max Season 2 Details
14. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2007, 13:35 Aero

If you like pointy-clicky adventure games, I'd check Season 1 out for sure. It's not quite as good as Hit the Road, but the fact that I'd even mention them in the same sentence says a lot. I wasn't disspointed, and Hit the Road is one of my all time favorites.

I just picked up it last weekend as a matter of fact. It's true though that it starts off a little slow, but it picks up quickly. I haven't finished it yet, but I understand it doesn't quite come together as well as it could.

Based upon how the quality progressed throughout the season, I have pretty high hopes for season 2. They seem to have found their stride.

Here's hoping.

Aero

News Comments > UO Tenth Anniversary Amnesty
9. Re: 10 Years Already? Sep 26, 2007, 01:50 Aero

I beta tested UO too, I was under the impression that was in 1996. I remember getting the disk in the mail around the same time the Quake test-demo was released.

Good times.

Never could get the beta to work properly though in the end. Something to do with my TCP/IP stack not being compatible. I never bothered with it again.

I wouldn't mind another Ultima single-player game. It's a shame, Origin really kicked ass. Wouldn't mind another Crusader either, come to think of it, not to mention Wing Commander.

Anyone know what Chris Roberts is up to these days?

Ah, nevermind. Producing crappy movies. I didn't know he directed the Wing Commander movie. I might even see it because of that even though I know I really shouldn't. I'd hate to have my opinion of him tarnished.

Love,
Aero

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 01:57.

News Comments > New DANCE Beta
1. WTF Sep 22, 2007, 21:07 Aero

Seriously, WTF?

I can understand the appeal of games like DDR. I can also understand the appeal of MMOGs like Warcraft. I can almost, but not quite, understand the appeal of chat-games like Second Life.

Why would anyone play this? Why don't they go to a real club and dance for real with real people? It's pushing things a little too far if you ask me. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone wanting to play it, but it strikes me as a little strange.

I could see a leader-board type thing for people who like dancing games. That would probably be fun for the people who take it seriouisly, and I suppose that really is what this boils down to... I don't know, I guess.

It's just a little strange.

Besides, wouldn't lag be a HUGE problem in a game based upon rhythm? Certainly for co-op style play.

I don't know. I guess I'm just out of it. I guess I just couldn't resist sticking in my 2 about this one.

Just thinking aloud (in text)...

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 21:08.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Pirates Beta
3. Re: So,,, Sep 20, 2007, 15:24 Aero

I could actually see this working out pretty well. Ship to ship combat with cannon while using the SF grappling hook to swing over to the enemy vessel, cutlass between your teeth.

Of course, it could be crap too. Avast!!

The Wiki has some screenshots, it actually looks pretty good too. It's not quite what I had in mind though.

example: http://bfpirates.com/wiki/index.php/Black_Beard%27s_Atol

This is a little more like it: http://bfpirates.com/wiki/index.php/BFP2_Dead_Calm

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 15:32.

News Comments > Evochron Renegades Announced
3. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 23:09 Aero

This is, overall, my favorite genre for computer games. There hasn't been a really good one in a while though. X3's interface is a little clunky and the universe feels sterile; Freelancer had a great universe but the game play was too simplified (there were some mods that improved it though); I didn't try Dark Star (is that it?) but heard bad things.

I imagine it's a little harder these days to create a good one. Older classics like Elite and Privateer worked because it was just accepted that you would have to use your imagination in lieu of fancy graphics. These days we have the graphics, but that means they need a huge library of art and media assets. They actually need to build a universe in its entirety which, I imagine, is no small feat.

However, I believe there is the potential to create an amazing space-sim, but it would take a lot of work. From their description, it sounds like they are on the right track. I've never played an Evochron game, but I have high hopes and I hope I'm not disappointed.

I'd heard rumors a new version of Elite was in the works, does anybody know anything about this? Of course, I've been hearing those rumors for years now.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > FASA Closes
49. Mechs Sep 13, 2007, 23:55 Aero

Mechwarrior sort of lost me after the second one. I didn't play enough of the others to really pass judgement, but it seemed to me they started to lose depth.

Mechwarrior and Mechwarrior2 were cool because they felt and looked a lot like simulators. The later games I played seemed more like shooters with mechs.

All that being said, I think you could make a pretty impressive mech-combat game without a license. Nobody owns the rights to giant-killer-biped-tanks in general. A 'spiritual successor' a la Bioshock as someone mentioned earlier, could be excellent even without the FASA license.

It's a shame these guys lost their jobs, but hopefully they'll find new, better ones. I didn't follow the goings on for the most part, but the studio closing came as no surprise.

Really, I think DX10 and Games For Windows is just a scam to kill off PC gaming. They'd rather just collect royalties on Xbox games.

Oh well, I hope they fail.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > White Gold: War in Paradise Website
2. Re: Same guys who did Boiling Point Sep 5, 2007, 15:33 Aero

Boiling Point was so close to being a fantastic game. Interesting environment, hilarious dialogue- a cool idea overall. It just didn't work right, and the one or two patches they released didn't sort it out properly.

If they've managed to sort out the technical aspects White Gold could be a classic. Considering the mess that Boiling Point was though, they've got a lot of work to do. I hope they've sorted it out. I'd buy it for sure in that case.

News Comments > Wing Commander Soundtrack
11. Re: Wow... Aug 28, 2007, 16:06 Aero

Seems a little ridiculous to pay for this. I already bought the games. The Fat Man was a big deal back then, they did the 7th Guest soundtrack as well among others.

I had the WaveBlaster addon for the SB16 around that time (not quite, a year or so after WC2)which did MT-32 compatibility. Before that, I had a GUS which actually sounded considerably better but wouldn't do MT-32 (or even General Midi, if I recall). I think Roland still has a Sound Canvas line- or at least they did a few years ago.

Still, brings back some memories. I actually think the FM AdLib redproduction sounds better these days. It's not trying to be anything but a synth.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Patch
8. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:02 Aero

I don't know, that's a pretty good list. 10-15% overall performance improvements and particularly 50-100% network efficiency improvements are pretty impressive. From what I recall, the biggest grip was performance on multicore processors which it appears they have had a stab at.

What exactly were you expecting?

Love,
Aero

News Comments > Mafia 2 Announcement Nears
18. Cars Aug 17, 2007, 15:18 Aero

Very excited about this as well. I'd like to see the next one take place in the late 50's or 60's though. The cars in Mafia were painfully slow at times. The physics modeling had a really nice feel, you could actually drive the cars with a proper wheel and pedal set and it felt relatively realistic.

That alone made it far more interesting than cruising around in GTA (which was still fun in it's own way, of course). I'd just like to see some meatier sixties cars.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > id on Tech5 Licensing
10. Texture Limitations Jul 14, 2007, 00:43 Aero

I'm interested in just exactly what they mean by 'no more texture limitations.' What sort of limitations? Presumably we're still limited by the available memory, so I'm not too clear on what they mean. The way I understand it, they seem to be saying that the level is now covered by one huge texture that is unique at every point and non-repeating. Of course that seems pretty neat, but is that all there is to it? How much (expensive) video memory are we going to need to run this sort of thing? Have they got some fancy tricks for seamlessly streaming between system and video memory or something along those lines or is this something that is just now possible due to cheaper more abundant memory?

In other words, is this some sort of radical software breakthrough or just a result of ever increasing hardware resources? Perhaps both?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - ThreadSpace: Hyperbol
1. Let me get this straight... Jul 12, 2007, 14:31 Aero

It's sort of like a 3D multiplayer version of Scorch? That might be fun.

News Comments > Ratatouille Demo
3. Re: huh? Jul 6, 2007, 01:27 Aero

I don't know, could be like Burger Time in 3D with a rat. Good movie, by the way.

News Comments > On Auto Assault's Crash
4. Re: No subject Jul 5, 2007, 02:40 Aero

An Interstate '76 MMOG would be pretty slick. In fact, simply a new version of Interstate '76 would be just fine by me.

News Comments > New Battlefield Rules of Conduct
26. Bugs. Jun 28, 2007, 18:28 Aero

Pretty clearly it only applies to bugs that can be exploited to 'gain unfair advantage.' The intent is obvious.

The Freedom of Speech has nothing to do with this. This is a private company with private message boards, they can do whatever they please.

If you were to find an exploitable bug, the responsible thing would be to privately notify the company. This isn't about security, the bugs are only threats to fair gameplay.

If you want a fair battle field, it would be in your interest that exploitable bugs are not widely known. It's true that EA should fix exploits in a timely fashion, but it would be unreasonable to expect there to be no bugs to begin with.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

News Comments > A Stroke of Fate Website
1. Stroke Jun 26, 2007, 01:52 Aero

I wonder if in the final level, when you finally confront Hitler, he'll be wearing a massive robotic suit with Gatling-guns for arms.

I still hear those metallic footsteps sometimes. They haunt me. Die Fuhrer Die!

News Comments > Games Not an Addiction, Yet
22. TV Jun 25, 2007, 15:06 Aero

Another poster further down brought up an interesting point. Have there ever been studies done on Television addiction? I know quite a few people who spend as much time watching Television as those playing 'unhealthy' amounts of video games.

I fail to see how this is any better, perhaps even worse as it doesn't even require interaction of any kind.

However, I'm willing to bet that there are some very powerful parties out there who would be most upset if Television were to be portrayed in such a bad light.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > Death Track: Resurrection Announced
2. Re: Wow.. Jun 15, 2007, 22:51 Aero

The original was one of my all time favorites. I hope they don't wreck it. I still get the theme music stuck in my head every once in a while.

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo