Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 766 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > GameSpot Editor Fired Over Review?
40. No subject Nov 30, 2007, 13:03 Aero

Well...

I don't know why he was fired, but all the big gaming sites are more or less worthless for reviews. Certainly don't count on any numerical score. If you go through the entire review, it's usually possible to read between the lines so they're not wholly worthless- just not to be trusted.

Here's a good rule of thumb: If you see an advertisement for the game being reviewed on the same page as the review, subtract 20 points from the score.

If you see an advertisement for the game on the site that's hosting the review, subtract 10 points if it's a pop-up, or an obviously featured ad. Subtract 5 if it's just a normal banner ad.

Then, take all those numbers and ignore them. Don't bother with the big sites, look for the niche sites that don't review many games. Look in the forums.

For instance, I've read a lot of 'pretty good' reviews of Hellgate. 'Pretty good' is code for 'crap but they pay our bills' in those sort of situations.

If the review mentions something will 'be fixed in a patch' rather than, at best, 'hopefully fixed in a patch': don't trust them.

In fact, screw all this. Don't trust anybody. Ask your friends.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 13:04.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - UK rFactor
4. Re: rFactor Nov 17, 2007, 15:26 Aero

What's the AI like?

Not terribly good I'm afraid. It's not horrible, they work find most of the time, but certain mods can have small problems. The biggest complaint is that they don't work very well at all on ovals (they're fine most of the time, but under caution laps they brake too hard and cause massive pileups).

I do race with the AI a lot though and have a good time. So while certainly not at all in the broken category, the AI could be better.

If you've played GTR2 (which is a modified version of the rFactor engine), it's pretty similar to that. GTR2 has it a little more refined because of the specific cars and tracks it's meant to be played with, but the two are comparable.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - UK rFactor
2. rFactor Nov 16, 2007, 14:20 Aero

For an idea of how many community made racing series, tracks and mods are available, check out www.rfactorcentral.com

rFactor is one of my favorites. Very much a simulator though. Not much for the arcade racer fan, though you might be surprised.

My current favorite is the 1979 season of F1 (Grand Prix 1979 v2.01)

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 14:30.

News Comments > Terminator Game Plans
14. Terminator Nov 16, 2007, 02:26 Aero

What I really, REALLY want is a remake of the original Terminator (also from Bethesda, about 1990). It was a first-person-shooter that took place in Las Angeles, more-or-less following the plot of the first movie. You could play as either the Terminator or Reese and the object was obviously to kill or protect Sarah Conner.

The entire city was there, all in 3D. You could go anywhere, drive cars, buy or steal weapons at gun stores, buy equipment at sporting good stores and drug stores, there were even hidden army depots if you knew where to look (I bet I could still find them to this day).

Of course, this was 1990, so the city was all flat-shaded simple graphics. Impressive for it's time (particularly the sound effects), but it would look kind of silly by today's standards. The people were sort of jittering boxy things. It did the job though. It had a neat little window that showed pre-drawn death animations whenever you shot someone. It also had a 'body count' stats thing which provided the most fun. It was an excellent game.

So if you think about it, it's a lot like Grand Theft Auto 3+. I would absolutely love to see it remade with modern graphics and gameplay. That would be killer.

Yeah, future shock was great too. Really very impressive actually. They'd done a string of Terminator games (2029, Rampage) that weren't so good, but Future Shock set things right.

Love,
Aero

PS - Whoever has the license, please remake The Terminator. thx.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 02:29.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Need for Speed ProStreet
8. ProStreet Nov 14, 2007, 15:38 Aero

So, it's basically a racing-sim without the sim part? I don't know about that. For my tastes, if it's going to adhere to a realistic racing format it should have a realistic physics implementation like the 'hardcore' racing sims.

I like arcade-racers too of course, but they should be proper arcade racers- ridiculous, over the top, nowhere near realistic handling, but insane, fast action in its place.

I'll give it a try, but if the actual handling isn't involved at all, there should at least be jumps and big, nitro-boosted crashes through road-blocks or other such things.

We'll see.

News Comments > Hellgate at the Gate
8. Re: No subject Nov 4, 2007, 20:28 Aero

PC Gaming has always been dieing and something has always come along to save it. To be honest, I don't think it's dieing at all. It's just that console games are becoming incredibly popular these days so, relatively, it seems as though PC gaming is dieing.

I thought PC gaming was dieing in the mid nineties, I thought it was dieing in the late nineties, I thought it was dieing in the earlier part of this decade and I thought it was dieing just a couple years ago. Yet it's still here. It always seems particularly dire near the beginning of a new console-generation, but it always comes back again.

Not to mention production budgets are bigger than ever although they're dwarfed by console production budgets. There are also still a lot of small PC-gaming outfits, something consoles are lacking due to royalties and expensive development kits.

There's no point in predicting the death of PC gaming. Only time will tell.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Command & Conquer Saga
1. Old games new machines? Nov 1, 2007, 12:11 Aero

How are they handling the older versions running on modern operating systems? I don't remember if the first one was a DOS game or a Windows game. I'm pretty sure it was DOS, but C&C came out around the time of the transition. Anyone?

Are they updated at all?

News Comments > Hitman Freed
1. Cool Nov 1, 2007, 10:01 Aero

Good idea. More companies should be freeing their catalog of old games. They aren't on sale anymore, they've got nothing to lose and it probably helps generate interest in their new games.

News Comments > rFactor Patch
1. rFactor Patch Oct 25, 2007, 21:44 Aero

This one (F) is supposedly a good one. Make sure you've backed up your registration data (Trymedia Folder) first, though.

News Comments > Gold - Battlestar Galactica
3. Hmm... Oct 18, 2007, 22:26 Aero

I hope they don't use this as an excuse to go after Beyond the Red Line. Hopefully the BRL folks have their legal ducks in a row, straightened out, on the up and up and whatnot.

News Comments > PC Mark Vantage
5. Seriously. Oct 18, 2007, 16:38 Aero

Does anyone really care about these benchmarks anymore? All they tell you is how fast your computer runs a benchmark.

More games should come with built a built in benchmark feature though. Those are actually almost useful for setting up your computer to run that particular game as well as possible.

Let's see what happens with the next video-driver releases. This is never good.

News Comments > Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder Demo
5. Alone in the Dark Oct 18, 2007, 13:23 Aero

Was fantastic.

News Comments > AU SoF: Payback Refused Classification
3. Shock! Oct 17, 2007, 21:20 Aero

What a surprise...

News Comments > The Sims2 DRM Issues
6. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2007, 18:02 Aero

It's all gotten pretty silly, hasn't it?

They should, of course, put some form of copy protection on it- they've just gone too far. All it has to (and realistically, can) do is prevent some random guy from lending the disk to his friend. That's easy to stop, just a simple disk check is fine. Nothing fancy. No low-level trickery or drivers. Just a normal, old CD check. That will be enough to stop the people who don't know what they're doing, and nothing will stop the people who do.

The crackers vs. copy-protection arms-race will continue forever and will never be won my either side. One may have a temporary advantage, but it won't last. All that's happening is the legitimate users are inconvenienced ever more as the measures the copy-protectors take become increasingly drastic.

In fact, by making the copy-protection relatively simple, it will no longer be interesting to find a way to crack it. It will still be cracked, but there won't be any money or notoriety in it.

I do think there should be some sort of copy protection though. They just need to realize all it takes is something simple (or even non-existent, like FADE) to stop casual copying. That's all they can really do.

Maybe someday dongles will be cheaper. Maybe the whole game could come encrypted on a dongle/thumb-drive if they can ever be made fast enough, big enough and cheap enough. Like the cartridge days, just plug in the dongle and play. That might help. Still wouldn't stop it, though.

We'll see.

News Comments > Aces of the Galaxy and Boogie Bunnies Announced
5. Lucasarts on rails... Oct 13, 2007, 14:52 Aero

Well, Rebel Assault was the first. I didn't know there was another one. Maybe Rebel Assault 2? I didn't play it if it existed... the first one was bad enough. The Mad Dog McCree of star wars.

News Comments > Soldier of Fortune: Payback Announced
13. Segworpio Oct 9, 2007, 14:48 Aero

The first was classic but I didn't care for the second one at all. The controls and gameplay mechanics seemed outdated and clunky by the time SOF2 was released.

This looks like it might be okay for a budget shooter. The graphics look decent enough- nothing special, but not too 'budget' either. It's all going to come down to the gameplay then, and low-budget games can still be great fun so we'll see.

It may well be worth spending ~$20 for a weekends worth of shoot-em-up fun. I don't want them going soft on the violence though, that's what made SOF what it was. While the gore alone wasn't enough to save SOF2, the series wouldn't be the same without it.

(Also, for some reason I think I heard about this quite a while ago, is this the first news of it?)

Love,
Aero

News Comments > New Classic DOOM 3
6. Topico Oct 9, 2007, 02:01 Aero

I haven't tried it, but it's a neat idea. There don't seem to be any screenshots on the webpage so I'd like to know if it's modern-looking versions of the original levels or just the original levels as they were?

The only trouble I can see with this is that you can actually beat each episode of Doom in about a half-an-hour or less if you know what you're doing. After god knows how many hours of deathmatch, I still know all of those levels pretty damn well.

Could be great fun for multiplayer though. I would love a version of Doom2 Map01 or Map07. In my opinion, the maps in Doom2 were better for deathmatches.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I even have Doom3 anymore. I may have given it away some time ago. I hope not.

News Comments > Gold - The Lost Crown: A Ghost-hunting Adventure
2. So... Oct 9, 2007, 01:53 Aero

So this will be like those ghost-hunter television shows, except that it might actually have ghosts in it.

Interesting concept for a game, the psuedo-realism could lend enough seeming credibility to make a genuinely scary game- sort of like Poltergeist in a way.

If it's good, I might bite. I've been jonesing for a good adventure game lately after playing Sam and Max.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 versus Mac Round II
11. Advance Oct 7, 2007, 22:09 Aero

I bet it wouldn't be too hard to make a million bucks back with as well known a property as Half-Life. Also, porting HL2 to the Mac would go a long way toward porting Counter Strike, Team Fortress and all the other source games.

I think it's accurate to say Apple isn't interested in gaming though. Windows has them beat in that department period, and it would take a whole lot of catching up to be competitive. Certainly, nobody buys a Mac to play games. Their market would be people who already bought Macs for general use but might be tempted to play games if they were available. Also, people who bought Macs for general use probably didn't buy the fancy hardware that's necessary (and more or less only useful for) playing games.

At this point, Apple probably doesn't want to start a battle with Microsoft over gaming considering how far behind they'd have to start. It wouldn't look good. No matter how seriously they took it, they'd be behind for years.

Considering you can boot Windows on a Mac these days, there doesn't seem like much of a point to me. I do bet they'd make their million back, though.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > Call of Duty 4 Demo Thursday
28. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2007, 01:32 Aero

"The bullet passed threw the bedroom wall into bathroom next to them just missing the girl using it, continued on threw the other bathroom wall into the kitchen missing several people sitting/standing there, then on threw a open bedroom door and lodged in the outside wall at the opposite end!"

Yeah, unfortunately here where I live, people, often children, are killed every year just sitting in their homes when some worthless gang punks shoot it out in the street.

I imagine it's usually just pistol rounds too. Rifle rounds will go a long way, through a lot of stuff, before stopping.

Love,
Aero

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 01:32.

766 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo