Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 753 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Your FPS Brain on Drugs
13. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2008, 14:13 Aero

Rhodiola actually does what this product claims to do.

Still not much point though. Better to just be healthy and get enough sleep naturally.

I imagine most of those twitchy fps kids have scripts for Ritalin and or Adderall anyways- gotta have that competitive edge you know.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Universal Combat Freeware
120. Re: No subject Jan 3, 2008, 00:05 Aero

Okay. I applaud all the people whom Derek quoted in replies, you will go down in computer gaming history.

But enough about that.

Has the game improved since its initial release? Is it worth downloading? Is it good enough to be worth investing the time to set it up and learn how to play it? Keep in mind there are plenty of games I wouldn't play even if you paid me. I've never played Universal Combat but I am a fan of the genre.

So... is it any good?

Thanks.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > Universal Combat Freeware
12. Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:25 Aero

Oh... his games have always had a special place in my heart. I was really looking forward to Battle Cruiser and it was pretty poor when it was released, but the fact that it was released for free later largely redeemed it. It certainly wasn't for everybody though and it wasn't the game promised in the previews (but whose fault was that?). That was a different time, when computer-gamers got off on complexity.

They are a niche game, for sure, and the interfaces could be better. Of course, they should be as simple as possible without dumbing down the game, but I do have a lot of respect for the fact that the games aren't dumbed down like almost every other game these days (Freelancer anyone?). The only one I can think of off-hand is X3, which I enjoy, but it too has a extremely complicated interface.

I would compare it, maybe, to the Battlefront games. Mastering their complexity is the whole point.

Um... I don't care for the attitude though- on either side. People shouldn't be insulting niche games because that doesn't happen to be what they're into, but this is the internet, and Derek shouldn't be insulting the public- that's not very professional.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > X2 & X3 Patches
5. Re: Oh well Dec 28, 2007, 13:19 Aero

It's a fine game. If you really want to get into it though it requires a pretty serious time commitment, certainly no less than an hour a sitting if you want to get anything done. That's why I could never get into it.

It does have lovely graphics though and the combat is a lot of fun, so if you pick it up cheap it's probably worth it just to fly around, fight with the pirates, and blow stuff up.

The patch didn't impress me much. The big 'surprise' feature was a method to upload your high-scores to their website. Not too exciting.

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in the reviews. It's sort of a niche game, if an arcade fan picked it up not knowing what it was they would be pretty disappointed. Also, and probably most importantly, v1.0 was incredibly buggy- almost unplayable for some. It's been continuously patched though, 1.4 took care of most of the problems and by 2.0 everything was running very smoothly. 2.5 claims to have refined it a little more in that respect, so it's probably near as perfect as it can be by now.

News Comments > Kart Attack Revealed
4. Re: No subject Dec 14, 2007, 01:17 Aero

Blimey are the talent behind GTR, GT Legends and GTR2. They were originally SimBin but most all of the talent jumped ship to form Blimey. One of the new hires since the split is the physics programmer from Richard Burns Rally.

That being the case, the driving model should be pretty damn good. They are pretty much the best in the industry when it comes to that.

However, I suspect it will not be as 'hardcore' as their previous games, so it will probably fall somewhere in between.

I'm looking forward too it. I'm a sim-racing fiend. The Ferrari Project is what I'm really waiting on though.

Love,
Aero

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 01:20.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. No subject Dec 6, 2007, 20:50 Aero

It seems to me that most of the Dreamcast's popularity came from after it had already died. The fact that you could pick one up second-hand for $30 soon after the PS2 and Xbox hit mainstream (and buy games for $5), made it a worthwile purchase. I had one. It only had a couple games worth playing, but for the price it was a great investment.

I think that might be the key here. With the surprising popularity of the Wii, it wouldn't be too far fetched to think Sega might go in the direction of a cheaper, casual console. Most of their games are simple arcade games anyways. Some very popular games like Guitar Hero and Dance Revolution don't require fancy hardware. It wouldn't be a bad idea to target a platform at that audience. If it cost $100 and had bunch of casual-type games. It would probably do okay.

To be honest, though, I think they're just fleshing out their trademark to keep other folks away from it. Not that the Dreamcast name is worth a whole bunch, but why not?

These patent and trademark based speculation articles usually don't hold much ground but they do often put the applicant in the position where they have to officially announce something. We'll see.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > More GameSpot on "Gerstmanngate"
6. This thing... Dec 6, 2007, 01:02 Aero

Advertising and product reviews will never mix. There isn't any way around it short of going the Consumer's Reports route and eliminating it entirely. Then, of course, we'd have to pay for the sites which I admit I probably wouldn't do.

The only solution I can imagine (and this would never work in practice) is having only hardware and peripheral ads on your games-review sites and only game ads on the hardware and peripheral review sites.

Since all of these sites are essentially free to access, and anyone can access them from anywhere, the competition is probably ridiculous.

Of course, I don't know why everyone is so up in arms now. The guy will get another job, and it's not like we just suddenly found out that advertising biases reviews.

Love,
Aero

Speaking of ads: The popups here at Blue's are getting kind of annoying- particularly the ones that don't close properly. I don't block them out of respect, but that might have to change.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 01:04.

News Comments > GameSpot Editor Fired Over Review?
40. No subject Nov 30, 2007, 13:03 Aero

Well...

I don't know why he was fired, but all the big gaming sites are more or less worthless for reviews. Certainly don't count on any numerical score. If you go through the entire review, it's usually possible to read between the lines so they're not wholly worthless- just not to be trusted.

Here's a good rule of thumb: If you see an advertisement for the game being reviewed on the same page as the review, subtract 20 points from the score.

If you see an advertisement for the game on the site that's hosting the review, subtract 10 points if it's a pop-up, or an obviously featured ad. Subtract 5 if it's just a normal banner ad.

Then, take all those numbers and ignore them. Don't bother with the big sites, look for the niche sites that don't review many games. Look in the forums.

For instance, I've read a lot of 'pretty good' reviews of Hellgate. 'Pretty good' is code for 'crap but they pay our bills' in those sort of situations.

If the review mentions something will 'be fixed in a patch' rather than, at best, 'hopefully fixed in a patch': don't trust them.

In fact, screw all this. Don't trust anybody. Ask your friends.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 13:04.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - UK rFactor
4. Re: rFactor Nov 17, 2007, 15:26 Aero

What's the AI like?

Not terribly good I'm afraid. It's not horrible, they work find most of the time, but certain mods can have small problems. The biggest complaint is that they don't work very well at all on ovals (they're fine most of the time, but under caution laps they brake too hard and cause massive pileups).

I do race with the AI a lot though and have a good time. So while certainly not at all in the broken category, the AI could be better.

If you've played GTR2 (which is a modified version of the rFactor engine), it's pretty similar to that. GTR2 has it a little more refined because of the specific cars and tracks it's meant to be played with, but the two are comparable.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - UK rFactor
2. rFactor Nov 16, 2007, 14:20 Aero

For an idea of how many community made racing series, tracks and mods are available, check out www.rfactorcentral.com

rFactor is one of my favorites. Very much a simulator though. Not much for the arcade racer fan, though you might be surprised.

My current favorite is the 1979 season of F1 (Grand Prix 1979 v2.01)

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 14:30.

News Comments > Terminator Game Plans
14. Terminator Nov 16, 2007, 02:26 Aero

What I really, REALLY want is a remake of the original Terminator (also from Bethesda, about 1990). It was a first-person-shooter that took place in Las Angeles, more-or-less following the plot of the first movie. You could play as either the Terminator or Reese and the object was obviously to kill or protect Sarah Conner.

The entire city was there, all in 3D. You could go anywhere, drive cars, buy or steal weapons at gun stores, buy equipment at sporting good stores and drug stores, there were even hidden army depots if you knew where to look (I bet I could still find them to this day).

Of course, this was 1990, so the city was all flat-shaded simple graphics. Impressive for it's time (particularly the sound effects), but it would look kind of silly by today's standards. The people were sort of jittering boxy things. It did the job though. It had a neat little window that showed pre-drawn death animations whenever you shot someone. It also had a 'body count' stats thing which provided the most fun. It was an excellent game.

So if you think about it, it's a lot like Grand Theft Auto 3+. I would absolutely love to see it remade with modern graphics and gameplay. That would be killer.

Yeah, future shock was great too. Really very impressive actually. They'd done a string of Terminator games (2029, Rampage) that weren't so good, but Future Shock set things right.

Love,
Aero

PS - Whoever has the license, please remake The Terminator. thx.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 02:29.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Need for Speed ProStreet
8. ProStreet Nov 14, 2007, 15:38 Aero

So, it's basically a racing-sim without the sim part? I don't know about that. For my tastes, if it's going to adhere to a realistic racing format it should have a realistic physics implementation like the 'hardcore' racing sims.

I like arcade-racers too of course, but they should be proper arcade racers- ridiculous, over the top, nowhere near realistic handling, but insane, fast action in its place.

I'll give it a try, but if the actual handling isn't involved at all, there should at least be jumps and big, nitro-boosted crashes through road-blocks or other such things.

We'll see.

News Comments > Hellgate at the Gate
8. Re: No subject Nov 4, 2007, 20:28 Aero

PC Gaming has always been dieing and something has always come along to save it. To be honest, I don't think it's dieing at all. It's just that console games are becoming incredibly popular these days so, relatively, it seems as though PC gaming is dieing.

I thought PC gaming was dieing in the mid nineties, I thought it was dieing in the late nineties, I thought it was dieing in the earlier part of this decade and I thought it was dieing just a couple years ago. Yet it's still here. It always seems particularly dire near the beginning of a new console-generation, but it always comes back again.

Not to mention production budgets are bigger than ever although they're dwarfed by console production budgets. There are also still a lot of small PC-gaming outfits, something consoles are lacking due to royalties and expensive development kits.

There's no point in predicting the death of PC gaming. Only time will tell.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Command & Conquer Saga
1. Old games new machines? Nov 1, 2007, 12:11 Aero

How are they handling the older versions running on modern operating systems? I don't remember if the first one was a DOS game or a Windows game. I'm pretty sure it was DOS, but C&C came out around the time of the transition. Anyone?

Are they updated at all?

News Comments > Hitman Freed
1. Cool Nov 1, 2007, 10:01 Aero

Good idea. More companies should be freeing their catalog of old games. They aren't on sale anymore, they've got nothing to lose and it probably helps generate interest in their new games.

News Comments > rFactor Patch
1. rFactor Patch Oct 25, 2007, 21:44 Aero

This one (F) is supposedly a good one. Make sure you've backed up your registration data (Trymedia Folder) first, though.

News Comments > Gold - Battlestar Galactica
3. Hmm... Oct 18, 2007, 22:26 Aero

I hope they don't use this as an excuse to go after Beyond the Red Line. Hopefully the BRL folks have their legal ducks in a row, straightened out, on the up and up and whatnot.

News Comments > PC Mark Vantage
5. Seriously. Oct 18, 2007, 16:38 Aero

Does anyone really care about these benchmarks anymore? All they tell you is how fast your computer runs a benchmark.

More games should come with built a built in benchmark feature though. Those are actually almost useful for setting up your computer to run that particular game as well as possible.

Let's see what happens with the next video-driver releases. This is never good.

News Comments > Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder Demo
5. Alone in the Dark Oct 18, 2007, 13:23 Aero

Was fantastic.

News Comments > AU SoF: Payback Refused Classification
3. Shock! Oct 17, 2007, 21:20 Aero

What a surprise...

753 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo