Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 748 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Red Baron Returns
2. Re: Demo? Mar 6, 2008, 22:26 Aero

If it has realistic(ish) physics, meaning all of the basic principles are there- stalls and so forth, this could be a fun little game. I don't mean modern flight-sim realistic, but if it's as realistic as the original Red Baron, that would be perfect.

Red Baron along with the later Aces Over X series are easily amongst my all time favorites. Red Baron in particular though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Evochron Renegades
6. Re: Fun demo Feb 29, 2008, 13:29 Aero

It does take a bit of time to get used to the newtonian model in combat. There is lots of good advice on the game's forums and there is a strategy guide available there that gives some good advice alongside the manual.

Yes it is moddable, though I don't have much experience with this myself but I understand it's pretty easy. There is a modding-kit available on the download section of their website which exposes all of the innards. I think most all of the stuff (universe data, etc.) is stored in text files, so it's pretty easy to do. You can also stick your own models and stuff in there. I think there are a few projects underway.

Yeah, I guess I really am a fanboy.

The sandbox space-sims are my favorite all-time computer game genre, and this is really the only current one that, in my opinion, lives up to the classics. X3 is certainly very good as well (and incredibly beautiful to look at), but there is just too much micromanagement and work-like stuff that needs to be done and I feel boxed-in by the gates. All I really want is me, my spaceship, the universe, a decent payload, maybe a few wingmen, and lots of ways to make money to buy upgrades and be able to explore even further.

4. Re: Evochron Feb 29, 2008, 12:42 Aero

The tutorial section should actually teach you how to fly into a planet's atmosphere, just fly over to the planet and it should give you the information you need. Generally speaking, so long as your speed is 750 or less, you can't go wrong so long as you don't fly into the ground, which you pretty much have to be trying to do. Any faster and the friction will start to stress your frame (it'll shake around and the nose will start to glow orange), faster still (1500+) and you'll be vaporized. There are ways of angling your ship, nose up, and increasing power to your front shields where you can come in faster, but I haven't gotten it right yet. There are also little guide thingys drawn on your hud that, if you follow them, will bring you to the nearest city on the surface.

Basically, if you keep it below 750 (or so) once you hit the atmosphere you'll be fine. When you think you're getting close (the ship computer will warn you about a gravity field) decelerate to 750. Usually about 20-30 seconds later your computer will warn you that you're entering the atmosphere and it's at this point that you need to be at an appropriate speed or you'll vaporize.

How's that for an overly-wordy explanation?

Also, remember you can learn all of this stuff and sort out your controls in the tutorial section by just ignoring the instructions. The tutorial doesn't count toward your demo time-limit.

The demo itself gives you (I think) three systems, and limits you to 70 minutes of play. If you register, your character from the demo will pass over to the full version so it really gives you, effectively, the first 70 minutes of play. I've never cared for time-limited demos myself, but this one worked out okay.

It costs $25, you have to order online.

The best part, though, is the community and the support. One of the features in this patch was something I suggested a week ago, there are always discussions about new features and when people come up with good ideas, they usually end up in the game pretty quickly.

The technical support is also incredible. A couple of days ago I found a bug, posted about it in the forum. Five minutes later I had a reply from the developer, and 20 minutes later there was a patch available. And this was at midnight.

Anyways, I really dig it as you can probably tell. It's definitely an indy game, no big budget sort of stuff, but the gameplay (particularly the physics/space combat) is right on the money. The graphics, while not technically fancy, are tasetful and very well done. In a planet's atmosphere during a rain-storm or in a dense nebula, it can be really quite beautiful. It's pretty easy on the system resources compared with a lot of recent games (*cough*Crysis) and very stable (*cough*X3) as well- no futzing about with detail-levels/config files to get a decent framerates or stabliity. Works right out of the box.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm a fanboy. Oh lordy.
This comment was edited on Feb 29, 13:01.

1. Evochron Feb 29, 2008, 11:23 Aero

This game kicks ass.

Of all the modern sandboxy Elite-style space-sims, this one is by far the best of giving me that "me, my spaceship and the universe," Han Solo kind of feeling.

Online co-op is a lot of fun too. I haven't gotten around to installing the patch yet, but it looks like a good set of changes.

News Comments > Are Racing Games Dying?
31. racing. Feb 27, 2008, 19:43 Aero

I don't know many sim-racing forums that would treat the people who use driving aids with disdain (well, except maybe the LFS forums, but that doesn't really have any driving aids). Driving ads are generally accepted as a good way to learn. If you're really looking to get the most out of it, learning to drive without aids is the best way to go (just as setting the difficulty to the highest level in other games is the most rewarding/challenging).

I can certainly understand that some people just want a more casual racing experience and nobody in the sim-racing community has a problem with that, nobody worth mentioning anyways. This is the internet, there are twits of course. The reasonable people would probably encourage people to try learning to play in the full-on simulator modes, but most everyone agrees that the ideal is, rather than only offering reduced difficulty as is with the console racers, to offer variable difficulty settings.

Blimey games (the core talent from SimBin who left to start their own company), who created GTL and GTR, GTR2 are working on racing sims that will be cross platform. Nothing is known with certainty, but the general belief is that they will offer variable difficulty modes- possibly not even in the form of driving aids, but an entirely different set of physics. Hopefully this will be successful.

The only thing that I really object to is games that don't quite know their niche. The games that fall in between simulator and arcade. Pro Street would be an example of this- a game that doesn't have any over-the-top arcade action, but doesn't really have interesting physics either.

FlatOut is an excellent example. It had physics that were believable enough, it felt as though you were driving a car, without being nearly as difficult as a full on simulator while still offering crazy action.

Tastes vary of course, but if I'm driving something that purports to be a simulator like Forza or Gran Tourismo, I want it to actually simulate driving as much as possible. I don't want it to only look like I'm driving. Though not nearly as "hardcore" as the pc sims, I think Forza and GT offer realistic enough physics to be interesting, but anything less would definitely be pushing it.

Anyways, yeah. I guess I didn't really have any particular point. I like sim racing, I like arcade racers, the simulators would ideally offer adjustable physics to suit the tastes of players (after all, why not?).

And yes, I know. That was way to long for what I actually said.

News Comments > Chris Taylor on PC Gaming
10. No subject Feb 27, 2008, 01:21 Aero

Though it isn't actually related to the article, but I was thinking about the 'exclusive' and 'not dumbed down for retards' comment. I agree with this in large part.

Really, I think the ideal situation were if console games were, um, smarted up to the level of PC games. As far as hardware goes, I would rather buy a console for $300 once ever three or so years than paying twice as much twice as often to keep up with PC games. Gaming on a fixed platform would take care of compatibility problems. If we could get what effectively amounted to PC games on a console, I think I would actually prefer that.

The trouble is you're going to have to basically buy into a monopoly if you're going to do that. All of the royalties and restrictions screw things up for smaller developers and you end up in the sort of console situation we have now where anything that isn't going to sell at least a half-million copies isn't worth developing.

If they would just legitimately open consoles up to developers and let them distribute software without ridiculous royalties or hugely expensive development kits, we would probably see some really good stuff.

What I like about PC games has nothing to do with the actual hardware, though having a keyboard and mouse would be necessary, it's the software that matters. It seems to me that almost all of the console software is mindless fluff. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but I need more engrossing games as well. Games that require a little thought.

That's what makes PC games so fantastic. One guy can make fantastic games like Evochron or Netkar Pro. They aren't going to sell millions of copies, probably much less than 10,000 even, but they can do it because all they need is a PC, some development software and a passion for what they do.

If it comes down to convincing some random investors that they will make money, the only option is to pander to the lowest common denominator.

We need open consoles. 3DO was on to the right idea, it's a shame what happened to them...

Okay. Rant over and out. Sorry.

News Comments > Death Track: Resurrection Russian Release, Demo
3. No subject Feb 23, 2008, 12:51 Aero

I don't know about this one. The original was more like a simulator, insomuch as it could be at the time, and I doubt they would go down that route this time. It wouldn't want it to be like the hardcore simracing titles, but I would prefer something closer to a sim than to a pure arcade racer.

I suppose there's only one way to find out. The original Death Track was great, one of my favorites from the time. I still remember the "What's this racer's favorite food" copy protection questions.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 12:52.

News Comments > Project RedLime Revealed
1. I've got a rash... Feb 21, 2008, 09:36 Aero

Road Rash would be good. That would be very good. Unless it sucks.

News Comments > Thriller Publishing Formed
2. Re: No subject Feb 18, 2008, 22:09 Aero

That's a pretty brilliant idea actually. Given the way game properties (Halo, for instance) have become very valuable, approaching it from that angle with some decent authors would be great.

Also, yeah.. what was that Microprose game, it was a top-down squad based shooter. I think it was called Special Forces and it came out in the early nineties. Anyways, that game was awesome. I killed a lot of time playing that one.

Airborne Ranger as well, I think that was also Microrprose (everything back then was Microprose ). That was the very first game of its kind I ever played. Good memories.

News Comments > On the NIU Shootings
1. Nice. Feb 15, 2008, 21:22 Aero

Well said Hal.

News Comments > Summer Athletics Announced
4. Track & Field Feb 15, 2008, 20:09 Aero

Finally, once and for all we will find out who can hit buttons the fastest.

News Comments > Galactic Command - Echo Squad SE Next Month
1. Oh no... Feb 15, 2008, 10:49 Aero

Oh dear...

News Comments > Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory Ships
4. Re: WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Feb 12, 2008, 17:25 Aero

No, it's not Oleg's new sim. I think that one is called Storm of War or something along those lines.

Wings of Victory came out about two years ago. The 2.06 patch came out over six months ago. It's a great game, a little rough at first but thanks to the constant patching it's now a damn fine sim.

Still, this announcement is a little confusing. They're just re-releasing with a new publisher?

News Comments > Grand Chase Beta
1. No subject Feb 7, 2008, 11:48 Aero

Why is it that evil species/bad guys always have an apostrophe in their names? I'm not silly enough to come up with examples, but I've sure as hell seen a lot of it.

News Comments > Battlefield Heroes - 3rd-person Only, Beta in Summer
19. Re: No subject Jan 23, 2008, 07:23 Aero

Some of that over-the-should-aiming stuff can work okay in 3rd person on a PC as in games like Splinter Cell. You have a aim button, just like the other Battlefield games, and it zooms in over the should with a reticle. I'd prefer 1st person, of course, but if they do it like that it wouldn't be so bad.

If it has any form of autoaim though, count me out.

I'm looking forward to it. I think it could work out very well actually. As always, we'll see.

News Comments > Your FPS Brain on Drugs
13. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2008, 14:13 Aero

Rhodiola actually does what this product claims to do.

Still not much point though. Better to just be healthy and get enough sleep naturally.

I imagine most of those twitchy fps kids have scripts for Ritalin and or Adderall anyways- gotta have that competitive edge you know.

News Comments > Universal Combat Freeware
120. Re: No subject Jan 3, 2008, 00:05 Aero

Okay. I applaud all the people whom Derek quoted in replies, you will go down in computer gaming history.

But enough about that.

Has the game improved since its initial release? Is it worth downloading? Is it good enough to be worth investing the time to set it up and learn how to play it? Keep in mind there are plenty of games I wouldn't play even if you paid me. I've never played Universal Combat but I am a fan of the genre.

So... is it any good?

Thanks.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > Universal Combat Freeware
12. Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:25 Aero

Oh... his games have always had a special place in my heart. I was really looking forward to Battle Cruiser and it was pretty poor when it was released, but the fact that it was released for free later largely redeemed it. It certainly wasn't for everybody though and it wasn't the game promised in the previews (but whose fault was that?). That was a different time, when computer-gamers got off on complexity.

They are a niche game, for sure, and the interfaces could be better. Of course, they should be as simple as possible without dumbing down the game, but I do have a lot of respect for the fact that the games aren't dumbed down like almost every other game these days (Freelancer anyone?). The only one I can think of off-hand is X3, which I enjoy, but it too has a extremely complicated interface.

I would compare it, maybe, to the Battlefront games. Mastering their complexity is the whole point.

Um... I don't care for the attitude though- on either side. People shouldn't be insulting niche games because that doesn't happen to be what they're into, but this is the internet, and Derek shouldn't be insulting the public- that's not very professional.

Love,
Aero

News Comments > X2 & X3 Patches
5. Re: Oh well Dec 28, 2007, 13:19 Aero

It's a fine game. If you really want to get into it though it requires a pretty serious time commitment, certainly no less than an hour a sitting if you want to get anything done. That's why I could never get into it.

It does have lovely graphics though and the combat is a lot of fun, so if you pick it up cheap it's probably worth it just to fly around, fight with the pirates, and blow stuff up.

The patch didn't impress me much. The big 'surprise' feature was a method to upload your high-scores to their website. Not too exciting.

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in the reviews. It's sort of a niche game, if an arcade fan picked it up not knowing what it was they would be pretty disappointed. Also, and probably most importantly, v1.0 was incredibly buggy- almost unplayable for some. It's been continuously patched though, 1.4 took care of most of the problems and by 2.0 everything was running very smoothly. 2.5 claims to have refined it a little more in that respect, so it's probably near as perfect as it can be by now.

News Comments > Kart Attack Revealed
4. Re: No subject Dec 14, 2007, 01:17 Aero

Blimey are the talent behind GTR, GT Legends and GTR2. They were originally SimBin but most all of the talent jumped ship to form Blimey. One of the new hires since the split is the physics programmer from Richard Burns Rally.

That being the case, the driving model should be pretty damn good. They are pretty much the best in the industry when it comes to that.

However, I suspect it will not be as 'hardcore' as their previous games, so it will probably fall somewhere in between.

I'm looking forward too it. I'm a sim-racing fiend. The Ferrari Project is what I'm really waiting on though.

Love,
Aero

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 01:20.

748 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo