Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 753 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Spore Creature Creator Tomorrow
17. No subject Jun 16, 2008, 22:58 Aero

This is going to be the biggest advancement in low-brow video game misusage since they started letting you enter your three-letter initials for arcade high scores.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. No subject Jun 16, 2008, 13:21 Aero

Anyone remember the 3DO Blaster?

News Comments > Grimm Trailer
13. No subject Jun 15, 2008, 15:22 Aero

Strikes me as though it's forcing it a little in an attempt to be different. It is encouraging to see someone at least trying though. Too many developers seem to be caught up in using the plot as a way to make gaming an accepted art form. In my opinion it really should be the game play and innovation and originality that has more artistic merit.

Basically, it seems like something that would make a fun little flash-game but that's about it.

News Comments > Empire: Total War Trailer
8. No subject Jun 15, 2008, 03:03 Aero

These really are brilliantly conceived games on pretty much every level. I wouldn't have though I would enjoy the campaign stuff, but it almost ended up being my favorite part. Somehow it seems so natural and un-gamey compared to most other strategy games.

That said, managing all of that stuff can be a pain and, as mentioned in the post below, it is very easy to forget what you were doing or leave an entire army off sitting by itself somewhere doing nothing for turns at a time. Notes probably would help, or at least a queue of units and cities to call your attention to for the next turn.

The combat too is fantastic. I've come to loathe the standard RTS gameplay over the years as they've grown more complicated. They're like herding cats.

I still have never learned to master the finer points of strategy though. I do make use of the terain, but I tend to just hit 'em from the front with my infantry, from the flanks with my cavalry and from afar with my archers--rinse, repeat. I've never tried multi-player, but I'm sure it would be a humbling experience. That too can become rough on the memory.

Looking forward to it.

News Comments > New GRID Demo
22. No subject Jun 14, 2008, 16:09 Aero

Simracing is my primary interest when it comes to computer games overall, but I found GRID to be a reasonably fun game. Not enough fun enough to buy it myself, and it certainly doesn't fit into the same category as the serious simulations, but because of that, I don't think a comparison to those is necessarily valid. It would probably be more apt to compare it against GT5 and Forza, neither of which I've tried, since it does aim for at least a modicum of simulation. It does fall into that sort of nebulous zone in between.

I do like the rewind feature. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that in the training modes for serious sims. It would be a lot easier to perfect your braking and lines that way.

Anyways, iRacing is what I'm looking forward to. Any day now.

News Comments > NVIDIA on PC Exclusive Games
78. Re: No subject Jun 10, 2008, 22:22 Aero

I'm a little worried that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If everyone keeps talking about how PC gaming is dieing, people are more likely to think it is dieing, not spend as much money on PC hardware, the PC user base shrinks, rinse, repeat, PC gaming dies.

Anyways, the big AAA titles can have the consoles, that's fine with me. The real PC games are from the smaller developers in the niche markets that could never make it in console-land because of royalties and the cost of console development. The small developers are the only ones who are making the sort of games traditionally defined PC gaming.

It's got almost nothing to do with the hardware anymore. If you could stick a keyboard and mouse onto a PS3 or an X-Box 360 with a high-def screen, what's the difference? The only difference is the sort of games the respective audiences enjoy, and we're all still here.

News Comments > Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway Demo Plans
2. No subject Jun 7, 2008, 23:39 Aero

I hate those "doesn't necessarily represent the final product" and "this version isn't optimized yet, the final will be" bunk lines.

News Comments > LucasArts Layoffs, More KOTOR 3 MMOG Rumors
7. No subject Jun 6, 2008, 17:08 Aero

Lucasarts makes no kind of sense whatsoever. How could a company built around some of the most fantastically valuable IP totally fail to make a good game, particularly when pretty much every game they made in the 90's, including the large number not based upon George Lucas's IP, were such classics.

I really think it just goes to show that George Lucas is a complete and utter twit, but one with a good imagination.

News Comments > BioShock - The Trilogy
16. No subject Jun 6, 2008, 00:40 Aero

I haven't finished the first one either. I did enjoy it a lot but somewhere along the line I got sidetracked and haven't picked it up again. I ought to try and finish it up this weekend.

Good game. I would like it if they changed the setting though. The underwater thing was a great idea, but I'm not sure how much more love they'll get from it.

They ought to set the second one fifty years from the first and base it on some Soviet societal experiment run amok (ie. communism as opposed to the Ayn Rand capitalism thing)- and underground or maybe a lunar city or something.

Then, the third one should be fifty years or so years after than and have a cyberpunk theme, it could be about anarchism or something and take place in Hong Kong or maybe Mars.

THEN... they should make a forth one that takes place fifty years after that on an adrift spaceship taken over by some sort of alien force and a rogue AI. It could be about, I don't know, some other -ism.

News Comments > Crysis Warhead Announced
32. No subject Jun 5, 2008, 13:28 Aero

I would like to see a WW2 Pacific themed realistic tactical action game built using this engine. As played out as WW2 is, the engine would be superb for a large scale (ie. WW2 scale) action game. Most of the environment assets are already there, so it could largely be done with just new character, building and vehicle models. I suppose this is probably mod territory.

Vietcong 3 using the Crytek engine would be good too.

Even though DX10 did look better than DX9 (even with the ultra detail hacks, but not a whole lot), and I have a system capable of running it at playable framerates, I still ran it in DX9 mode with just high details. The graphics difference between high and ultra wasn't really enough to make it worth the framerate hit. I consider framerate to be an integral part of the graphics, so even though the actual frames themselves might be better looking, I think the graphics overall are better with less detail and a higher framerate- not even considering the effect it has on gameplay.

I think the biggest disappointment with the performance came from people who really, really wanted to run it at ultra high settings. It still looks very good in DX9 high settings and runs pretty well. I think it would have been better received if they just left out the whole DX10 ultra high settings thing.

In the end though, it really just isn't all that good a game. If it had come out with no hype at all, I probably would have considered it a fun, decent shooter. As is usually the case though, the hype led to expectations that it had no hope of meeting.

I might buy Warzone when it costs $20. If they really have optimized the engine significantly though, I'm guessing it just has lower detailed levels for the 'optimized' part. Especially so given the massive framerate differences in certain, relatively small and rare, parts of the levels. It's hugely frustrating to be getting 40+ fps most all of the time but then suddenly turn a corner and be getting framerates in the teens for a minute or two until you turn another corner, particularly if you're under fire.

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. No subject Jun 5, 2008, 01:34 Aero

Street Fighter 4 looks pretty good. Unfortunately, at least for me, playing computer games is a largely solitary affair, so I doubt it would really be worth it.

I like the style though. 3D is okay if the fighting still happens in 2 dimensions. The stylized cartoony graphics seem to fit very nicely. I'd actually go so far as to say the graphics are as close to perfect as they could be, which is the primary strength of the stylized approach.

I hope it's pretty good. It's a shame there aren't really any arcades any more, and if there were, I probably wouldn't want to go to one anyways. It would be nice though, to relive some of those memories from younger days.

News Comments > Jack Thompson Disbarment Recommended
29. Re: ... Jun 5, 2008, 01:17 Aero

I bet he writes a book, goes on Oprah and makes millions. What a sleazeball.

News Comments > DNF Trailer (Or Lack Thereof) Follow-up
71. No subject Jun 3, 2008, 19:19 Aero

I don't really see why this is so upsetting. It wasn't all that dissimilar with the original Duke3D... engine rewrites, long setbacks. The actual finished game was totally different from what was described in early previews.

I think the situation is pretty amusing. It has been a very long time, and its enjoyable to poke fun, but some people here actually seem angry at 3D Realms, which is just beyond my understanding. Why?

Duke3D was a good game, a blast over a network with your friends, but it wasn't particularly revolutionary or anything. The only thing otherwise noteworthy about it was that it was the only Doom clone that was at least as good as Doom itself.

They're obviously not in any real hurry to get it out--to the point where it's not keeping pace with technology, but so what? Do you guys have it pre-ordered or something?

I used to hang around their message board on the internet during the year or so leading up to Duke3D's release and they were a really nice bunch guys. They had a little internet community a long time before that sort of thing was common.

News Comments > Prince of Persia Subtitle: None
4. No subject Jun 2, 2008, 20:06 Aero

Sands of Time was a pretty good game, but I still think I'd prefer a quasi-2D side-scrolling implementation closer to the original. I imagine it probably wouldn't impress the younger console generation, but I'm willing to bet the gameplay would actually be more fun. Even at it's best, the camera and control implementation in third person platformers, makes me feel pretty disconnected from the acrobatics. When judging distances is a key part of the gameplay, a 3D world represented on a 2D screen tends to make things sort of clunky.

Maybe it's just nostalgia though. Given the task of creating a 3D platformer version of PoP, they did a pretty damn good job with Sands of Time. I didn't like the others at all though, and it's good news that they're taking this route.

News Comments > Dark Horizon Announced
23. Re: Now please wake up LucasArts!! May 29, 2008, 15:26 Aero

The funny thing is if LucasArts got Lawrence Holland to head the development of a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter sequel, a real one, for all of the platforms, it would probably sell fantastically well.

Even the console kids would probably love it because the one thing that these games, particularly Tie Fighter, did very well was having a ton of action all the time.

I don't see how they could lose- unless they stuck Jar Jar Binks or insisted on making it about the prequels. Nobody likes the prequels George, get over it.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Crafting Details
4. No subject May 29, 2008, 15:03 Aero

This reminds me- we need a sequel to Space Hulk please.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 is Long
7. No subject May 28, 2008, 23:08 Aero

If most of that 50 hours consists of walking somewhere, and then walking back again, and then walking somewhere, and then walking back again etc., I don't think it counts.

Boo to the no co-op thing. Crysis would have been a much better game if it had co-op. Four player co-op would have made all the difference in the world, and Crysis would probably have been a classic rather than just a mediocre shooter with lovely graphics.

In future, developers, please remember to include co-op. Thanks. Co-op Doom was one of my all time best video game memories.

News Comments > PC Street Fighter IV
15. No subject May 28, 2008, 16:00 Aero

If it's going to be 2D (and please god, let it not be 3D), I think it ought to work out fine on the PC. Frame rate shouldn't be a problem. Going to need some gamepads though.

Looking forward to it. Of course if I had a console, I'd probably buy that version instead.

I never played Street Fighter 3, but the amount of time I spent at the arcade playing Street Fighter 2 is absurd.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Movie
5. Re: yay! May 27, 2008, 20:46 Aero

Looks like it might be a good game, but I don't see what it has to do with Far Cry. I guess we'll find out.

News Comments > Gunrox Beta
4. Re: Weird Looking May 27, 2008, 13:21 Aero

Looks like X-Com. Might be fun.

753 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo