Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 758 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Spore to Feature an Ending
5. No subject Jul 17, 2008, 11:39 Aero

The more I see of it, the less 'innovative' it becomes. It seems like they started with a cool premise, but then realized they had to actually make it into a game--you know, with gameplay and stuff.

So, what I'm seeing is a simple little 2d action game, that becomes a 3D action game, then pretty standard looking, simple RTS, then a slightly more complicated RTS... and then it's over.

So the only real part you could consider innovative is the creature creator. The rest is just a way to shoehorn it into an actual game.

I'll still might buy it, if the reviews are good. I'm going to guess they're mediocre though. Only the advertiser's bitch sites (you know the ones) will give it high ratings. Ultimately, it will be a cool looking, highly polished game, but one that has jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none gameplay.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wolfenstein Trailer
14. No subject Jul 16, 2008, 14:12 Aero

I dunno. I'm not terribly impressed. I'll probably keep an eye on it though.

Raven used to be best pals with id. heretic was the first game to use the Doom engine, and probably the beginning of the whole fps game-engines as a middleware product popularity. That got a lot of play over the network, Gameconn and DWANGO. Hexen was even better.

Er... what was I saying again? Memory lane I suppose.

Anyways, the fact that they're developing it gives me a bit more hope. Of course, Quake 4 didn't do it for me at all.

We'll see.

News Comments > Wheelman Trailer
2. Driver? Jul 15, 2008, 21:14 Aero

Does this have any connection with the Driver games?

News Comments > Flock Announced
2. No subject Jul 15, 2008, 13:34 Aero

Sounds interesting enough. I'll keep an eye on it.

I want a remake of The Incredible Machine. I bet they could use all of the modern whatsits to actually improve upon the original, which so few remakes seem to do these days.

News Comments > No DX10 Call of Duty: World at War
7. No subject Jul 14, 2008, 23:35 Aero

D10 probably won't be really useful for another hardware generation yet. Using all of the fancy features DX9 was capable of really wasn't practical until the 7000 series nVidia cards.

That's sort of the way it's always been though. The API is a couple years ahead of the hardware that supports it.

Not to mention the Vista requirement headache.

News Comments > Apogee Comeback
17. No subject Jul 14, 2008, 21:00 Aero

You guys must have been into that shroom mode a little too much. ROTT was terrible. It did have a few redeeming features though. I liked the gibs and the begging enemies.

I'd be down with an old-school side-scrolling Duke Nukem or Commander Keen on a handheld though.

News Comments > Consolidation
1. No subject Jul 12, 2008, 15:14 Aero

I don't get Rock Band.

Why would you spend $300 on a pretend drum kit when you can buy real drum kit for the same price, albeit a cheap one? If you can play the song perfectly in Rock Band, then you would probably have a decent foundation for learning to actually play the drums. It does say you can hook it up to a synth though, so that does make it a little more reasonable.

Dance Revolution was fun because all it told you was where you had to put your feet and when, how you went about doing that was up to you. This was good fun, especially if you were drunk. You were actually dancing. You could be creative.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero are basically the same as that Simon thing we played when we were kids.

News Comments > Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory Patch
1. No subject Jul 12, 2008, 12:58 Aero

They really supported the hell out of this game. Good thing too, I couldn't play the original release for 10 minutes without it crashing. Neither could anyone else.

They've made a ton of improvements though, not just bug fixing but added features, improved AI, improved performance, improved graphics. It's an excellent single-player WW2 flight sim. It can really stuff the sky full of airplanes and make it feel like a true large scale aerial battle.

News Comments > New Wolfenstein Details
16. No subject Jul 12, 2008, 12:51 Aero

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a decent enough game, but it really didn't have the flavor of the original Wolf3D. They need to make it a simple, fun shooter with hordes of relatively stupid enemies.

I could actually deal with the one large city (though it really should be one large castle, so long as they fill it up with a tremendous amount of enemies and make it a pure action game from beginning to end. No sneaking, no dark hallways with monsters jumping out and saying boo! Just tons of enemies for you to mow down with a machine gun and a lot of unnecessary gore.

I'm not to keen on the magic bit either. It could potentially be okay, but I doubt it. The supernatural elements of Wolf3D took the form of three armed zombies and robotic bosses, not so much supernatural powers like you'd see in Bioshock. The supernatural bit is sort wrong for BJ. BJ is supposed to be a red blooded American, normal every-day-Joe, Nazi killing machine.

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising Movie
2. No subject Jul 11, 2008, 12:00 Aero

Seriously. All we've seen so far is renders dolled up to look like screenshots. Something is very wrong. They ought to know that nobody gives a damn about rendered trailers even if they do supposedly use game models--which aren't even really game models until they're actually in the game.

If they haven't even built a game-engine that's capable of producing screenshots, it's going to be a long time before it's released.

ed: I'm predicting a Stalker scenario where the open-world gets chopped up and you end up with a pretty standard shooter. "OFP was a niche game" the managment says, "Screw that open-world simulation crap, make us a COD4 knock-off."

Probably why Bohemia hoofed it.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 12:06.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. No subject Jul 9, 2008, 21:18 Aero

I have a portable AC. It's totally worthless, you can connect a hose up to the tank, but it's so difficult to get a good seal for the exhaust hose (that requires a normal window anyways, in which you could put a box AC) that half the time you just end up heating up the room instead of cooling it off.

Window boxes are much better and, really, just as portable. My portable thingy weighs a ton.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. No subject Jul 9, 2008, 14:44 Aero

Sims 2 -IKEA Home Stuff!?!?

For the love of god...

News Comments > X Motor Racing Video
1. No subject Jul 8, 2008, 21:49 Aero

Someday this is probably going to be a pretty good sim. Not yet, though.

News Comments > X: Terran Conflict Date Narrowed
6. No subject Jul 8, 2008, 14:35 Aero

Man... if they just fixed the UI, I would like it. The whole empire thing became worthless to me because it was such a pain in the ass do do anything. It could take five minutes to make a group of ships just fly to another sector and dock at a station.

I actually like the combat and flight model though. It's not realistic at all, but I don't know that's really a bad thing. X-Wing/Tie-Fighter and the Wing Commander games didn't have realistic flight models either.

Really what it needs in my opinion is a more engaging exploration, single-ship aspect. Managing an empire is like well, managing an empire, very tedious. They need more interesting environments. The sectors are really just boxes with stations scattered around. It needs planets and asteroid belts, that sort of thing.

News Comments > Formula One 2009 a Sim
4. No subject Jul 8, 2008, 13:56 Aero

Don't forget that TOCA 3 was also a "simulation." It says so right on the box.

I'm not expecting much. I wouldn't mind a pleasant surprise though. They do have a point in that an F1 game cannot be an arcade game considering the audience. The real question is how capable are they of making a real sim and do they even care?

The developers of the best PC sim-racing titles take the physics very seriously, they have to in order to compete. Most PC sim-racers don't particularly care what sort of license the sims have, they care about the physics. Look at iRacing, best physics currently available, but not a particularly sexy selection of cars. Netkar Pro as well, no fancy cars, highly respected physics. LFS doesn't even have any real cars (for the most part) or real tracks and it's very popular.

Codemasters has the F1 license and nobody else does. In terms of the number of sales, that's a lot more important than the physics. They don't really need the PC sim-racing crowd at all, that's probably, at most, 50,000 odd sales. Just a drop in the bucket compared against the sales they'll get just for having the license.

News Comments > Frontlines: Fuel of War Beta Demo
8. Re: Huh? Jul 8, 2008, 13:44 Aero

"it was released in a beta state.."

I think you might have something there. The sort of suspiciously "leaked" "beta" demo might just be an excuse. They're still trying to sell it, it might have bugs, these could easily be attributed to the demo being a beta, a leaked one at that.

News Comments > American McGee's Grimm Episodes to Debut for Free
1. No subject Jul 2, 2008, 20:28 Aero

Probably a wise move. I'll give it a try for free. I certainly wouldn't have paid to try it though. Maybe it'll be good, stranger things have happend.

News Comments > New Live for Speed S2 Alpha
1. No subject Jul 2, 2008, 20:26 Aero

Looks okay--new cockpits look nice, it's about time they replaced the old ones. I'm going to have trouble going back to any other sim now that that iRacing is available though. It really puts the others to shame.

I'll give it a try though and the NKP 1.03 patch ought to be coming along (for real this time), so we'll see how things pan out.

News Comments > Ship Simulator 2008 amBX Patch
3. No subject Jun 26, 2008, 12:08 Aero

I can see that being pretty cool. The sea air, the wind in your face...

News Comments > Spore Galactic Edition
11. No subject Jun 24, 2008, 13:30 Aero

Though I'm looking forward to it, it really does seem like a collection of associated mini-games (though perhaps not so "mini") and it will basically live or die on how much fun these are. I have reasonable confidence that they'll pull it off though.

It's certainly a neat idea, but the fact that I actually had no idea how the gameplay would actually work until I watched a few long videos, suggests a cool overall concept but sort of shoe-horned gameplay.

That said, SimCity was really never about the taxes and the growth, the obvious gameplay elements, as it was about being creative and building a cool city. The trouble will be if the actual gameplay bits are tedious or uninteresting to the point where they only interfere with creativity and become a chore.

addendum: Oh, and to be more on topic, I think of the special edition versions of video games being a lot like extended-warranties. Just an excuse to sell you extra crap. I do like real, thick manuals like pc games used to come with though--just not enough to pay almost double to get one.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 13:31.

758 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo