Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Space Engineers Announced
1. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 10:08 Aero

Well, Miner Wars was an interesting engine used to create a poor game. This, unfortunately, looks like it's going down the same route. I hope they put a lot more thought into making something fun this time time because they do have some good technical talent.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DayZ Video Blog
3. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 8, 2013, 15:05 Aero

I haven't played any of the DayZ stuff (I was sort of waiting for the standalone to be complete), but I really like all the ideas going into this. It probably won't be my thing in the end, but I have a lot of respect for it.

I can see how it probably will all fall apart in practice on a public server, but I like some of the concepts. I see Molyneaux (in principle at least with Godus) taking a similar approach to idiots and griefing by making that part of the gameplay. The real-life socially mal-adjusted borderline sociopaths that normally plague other games, could be perfectly in character here.

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
29. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 20:55 Aero

Parias wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 20:30:
Aero wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 19:47:
I'd be happy (enough) with connecting to a central server that manages my assets, but then puts me in my own local instance of the universe. They get to keep their microtransaction thing, I get the SP sandbox space-sim I've wanted.

If, in the end, all I really get out of is the Squadron 42 campaign, that will be worth what I put in, but the overall architecture of the game still seems as nebulous now as it did back when it was announced. I can appreciate that it's in flux, but I still see a lot of people claiming you will be able to host a private offline version of the sandbox universe, which never seemed likely. Sometimes it seems like there are thousand salesmen trying to sell me on a thousand different variations of the "dream space sim." I see the same thing with a number of other "community participation" development projects.

I don't have the time or inclination to follow every announcement and bit of news (I don't want to be spent on it before its done), but I would really like a description of what they have in mind for the game breaking it down to its fundamentals and without the spin. There is far too much of the latter. It can make people dizzy.

Then just read this:

When it comes to mods, the FAQ stresses how open to modding the game will be:

“Players will be given full control of their game! When operating private servers, players will be able and encouraged to mod the game. It doesn’t stop there, though: we hope to institute a ‘mod approval’ process that will allow the best of the best player created ships and other additions to be integrated into the central persistent world as well.”

These aren't just random claims - private servers will be supported and is one of the core bits of their design philosophy. It's been officially stated you'll get the singleplayer offline component, your own private servers, and the Persistent Universe.

Okay, but that still just implies that the private servers will be the full open universe. That could just apply to mission-based Squadron 42 style servers. I would like to see, with no uncertainty, something along the lines of "Players will be able to host a private instance of the Star Citizen universe." I don't doubt their sincerity, but why not just come out and say it directly? That's all I want. I can understand them being nebulous about these things if they can't commit, but it would be so straightforward to just confirm their intentions, and it would be nice if they would do so. For all I know, they may well have done something like this, but I haven't seen it.

Answering a FAQ question (and I know for a fact this is indeed a frequently asked question) such as "What kind of single player experience will Star Citizen provide?" would go a long ways.

Perhaps it does just go without saying, but I do see quite a bit of doubt out there that could so easily be cleared up and potentially bring more backers (I'd go a little further if I knew there was more there for me than Squadron 42).

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
25. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 19:47 Aero

I'd be happy (enough) with connecting to a central server that manages my assets, but then puts me in my own local instance of the universe. They get to keep their microtransaction thing, I get the SP sandbox space-sim I've wanted.

If, in the end, all I really get out of is the Squadron 42 campaign, that will be worth what I put in, but the overall architecture of the game still seems as nebulous now as it did back when it was announced. I can appreciate that it's in flux, but I still see a lot of people claiming you will be able to host a private offline version of the sandbox universe, which never seemed likely. Sometimes it seems like there are thousand salesmen trying to sell me on a thousand different variations of the "dream space sim." I see the same thing with a number of other "community participation" development projects.

I don't have the time or inclination to follow every announcement and bit of news (I don't want to be spent on it before its done), but I would really like a description of what they have in mind for the game breaking it down to its fundamentals and without the spin. There is far too much of the latter. It can make people dizzy.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 16:21 Aero

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 13:51:
The problem with keeping it all in your head is that you don't pay attention to all the money you spend, outside of bills and other necessities. So long as you have $XXX on hand at the end of the month, you think you're good. Putting it down on [virtual] paper makes you more accountable, gives you a more tangible feeling of progress (paying off debt, saving, etc.), and helps you keep track of mid- and long-term goals. You could argue that those things are still helpful even for people who are "too rich to need a budget."

For instance, it's easier to stay strong during a Steam sale if you have a total spending figure that you've budgeted for, as opposed to general knowledge of how much money (or credit) you have available. You might arrive at such a figure by putting aside a little bit of extra money you have leftover every month into a "Steam Sale" fund, so that you don't end up eating nothing but ramen noodles in July or December/January. :p

This is true, although back then I would just take out a certain amount of cash and that was my discretionary spending. That would be nearly impossible these days though. I even tried to make a point of using cash whenever I could for a few years, but eventually gave up. I probably have bills in my wallet now that have been there for nearly a year.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 11:35 Aero

I like the idea behind "You Need a Budget" (so far as I understand it). I probably could have used accounting software designed specifically for people living barely above hand-to-mouth when I was younger. All of my actual "accounting" could probably have been taken care of on a 10 line spreadsheet, so I just kept it in my head. It worked out in the end, but I was at any given time and at best a couple unexpected thousand dollars away from being completely screwed.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
6. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 15:37 Aero

Whether or not it's good, this is increasingly looking like not my thing, which is a shame (I have no interest in the MMO portion).

I have higher hopes for X Rebirth and Elite Dangerous.

News Comments > F1 2013 Hotlap Trailer
3. Re: F1 2013 Hotlap Trailer Aug 31, 2013, 12:53 Aero

I'm definitely going to need a demo for this one. I've been buying them all along, and they've been improving incrementally (with the usual backward steps as well), but I think to buy another one I'm going to need a bigger leap in handling and force feedback than we've gotten year-on-year so far.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows Aug 28, 2013, 22:20 Aero

This would have been a lot cooler as a semi-3D side scroller closer to the original arcade game.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 18:39 Aero

If you install Start8 or something like that, it's decent. I run it on my laptop because I only get so many licenses for each OS through work, and I like a lot of things about it. Metro is silly for desktop apps, of course. There also isn't any seriously compelling reason to use 8 (with Start8 or whatever) over 7. So, basically, if I already had Windows 8, I would pay the $5 for Start8, and be happy with it, but I definitely don't see any reason to upgrade from 7 to 8 other than the eventual forced obsolescence, which won't be for a while yet.

I actually think Surface Pro's running 8 are really nice, but given their price, they don't really fit into many reasonable use cases.

Anyways, it seems they were just playing it safe, being a jack of all trades sort of thing (aside from the unified Metro API not working out), in case everybody suddenly stopped buying desktops through the next business upgrade cycles. They got a start on any direction they need to go, which isn't to say this was even remotely a good idea, just what I guess they were thinking.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
7. Re: Evening Screenshots Aug 22, 2013, 07:39 Aero

Cutter wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 05:16:
Enh, movie tie-in game. I would not get my hopes up, fellas.

I get the feeling, when they were making Just Cause (2), they were heavily influenced by Mad Max. The vehicle fights, the wrist-mounted crossbows, the look of the character. I think they've always wanted to make a Mad Max game.

This still might suck, but I can't imagine a better combination of developer and IP. I don't think it will just be a cash-in. You may be right of course, and if it were any other developer, I would surely agree with you, but I don't think so in this case.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist; Day One Patch Released
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist; Day One Patch Released Aug 20, 2013, 21:27 Aero

So, in the sense of a classic Splinter Cell game, it isn't very good? That's a shame. Better than Conviction is something, so I may pick it up on sale one day, but it's a shame they took that route. Probably make tons of money.  

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2013, 16:29 Aero

I tend to be wary when I hear games/films/books/whatever described as "magical," but I might check it out anyways.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2013, 03:20 Aero

If they could make a real proper mechanical sequential shift (like in a racing car with auto blip and lift), now *that* would be something.

The "shiftronic" crap they sell is worse than an automatic. The paddles are more like suggesting a gear than actually changing a gear.

A Formula 1 car can blip or lift, and shit gears in a few tens of milliseconds. I would be so down for that. The only problem there, of course, is you need to rebuild the transmission every couple hundred miles. If they can make those durable, that would be great.

I enjoy a manual because it is much more engaging. It does have a few drawbacks though. For instance, I have to come to an almost complete stop at a two-way yield because I'd typically be in third at that point, which isn't enough torque to get me moving if I notice a car and hae to accelerate, but I'm going a little too fast to downshift to 2nd reliably (and that's a bit hard on the transmission).

Worst of all, though, is when you pull up to a light behind a line of cars with automatics and they all stop, and then ride the brake to snuggle up to the car in front. In a manual, I have to declutch, shift into first, ride the clutch to move slowly forward a few feet, and then engage the clutch again. Annoying, and hard on the clutch.

Don't get me wrong, all things considered, I'd rather have a manual, but there are benefits to an automatic.

I didn't know that a CVT worked by keeping the engine in its optimum power band at all time (which would be good for mileage), but the peak power is frequently a good deal more RPM than peak torque which is what I want to accelerate. I'll have to give one a try.

Of course, in Blue's Vette, he can probably accelerate faster in 5th gear than I could in first driving any of the manuals I've owned before.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 18:40 Aero

I finally gave up on a manual transmission a few days ago after driving them all my life. I think it's got something to do with getting older. I used to enjoy driving more. Now it's kind of just a chore. I want something comfy and easy to handle, and where I can drink my morning coffee and smoke my morning cigarette without the juggling act.

I'm interested in CVTs though. They're still a little new for me to really consider investing in one (want to see how they fair 5 and 10 years on), but they ought to give the best of both worlds.

I definitely do not like flooring the throttle, and then having the car actually decelerate for 0.5 seconds while it decides to downshift. Driving an automatic, you really do have to consider your throttle inputs a lot more carefully.

Orson Scott Card is nuts and he should shut his gob. He wrote some good books back in the day, though. A lot of good scifi writers are nuts though (Phillip Dick, for example), but usually in a more of an interesting, eccentric way. He's just run-of-the-mill far-right nuts.

News Comments > NVIDIA Unleaks GTA5 PC Comment - New Trailers Released
21. Re: NVIDIA Unleaks GTA5 PC Comment - New Trailers Released Aug 14, 2013, 17:44 Aero

I'll ask you what I asked Riggs, what's your theory behind why they want "everyone to buy it on the console, first?"

I'm guessing it's got nothing to do with Rockstar and everything to do with MS/Sony. I definitely do wonder, though, why they didn't wait a few months and make it a Xbone or PS4 exclusive. You figure either Sony or MS would be willing to dump a TON of money on them to make that happen. GTA5 would sell consoles without a doubt. I don't really see any other initial titles that would even remotely tempt me to buy a new console. GTA5 might (though I wouldn't in the end).

As for PC vs the consoles though, that's hard. No royalties for the PC release, but also of course, a lot fewer sales.

Also, if somehow both MS and Sony were pushing for a no PC release, I'd guess that would end up on legal thin ice. Paying for an exclusive is one thing, but two companies paying to exclude a third is something else entirely.

Meh, I'm sure their lawyers got it all sorted out. Maybe Rockstar just doesn't want to bother with the PC yet. Maybe that's their excuse, anyways.

edit: Ah... of course, what I didn't think of was the 360/PS3 release, and then six months later an "enhanced" Xbone/PS4 release. Double dip. That's where the cash is at. Maybe that's when a PC version will come out as well, since they'll probably be about on par capability wise at that point.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PAYDAY 2
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - PAYDAY 2 Aug 13, 2013, 17:45 Aero

Here's a video of people doing it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8laN48HxPU

(You can skip the first 10 minutes).

News Comments > SimCity Traffic Improvements
13. Re: SimCity Traffic Improvements Aug 11, 2013, 10:46 Aero

Still $40 with some "promotion." I do plan on buying this some day, but not until it's under $20 and hopefully patched some more. I don't see any amount of patching turning it into a proper sequel, so I'm only going to pay a "SimCity Lite" price. There are definitely some good ideas in there, but it still looks a lot like one step forward and two steps back to me (and bonus bugs!).  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Diary and Video
9. Re: Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Diary and Video Aug 10, 2013, 11:47 Aero

With a server full of serious (but not too serious), mature players, the Battlefield series are among the best games ever made. On a typical public server full of children and basement dwelling narcissists, they're crap.

I'm sure with the right players, commander mode on a tablet would be a Good Thing. You will almost never actually see that in the wild though. The only way to have fun (unless you are a child or a basement dwelling narcissist) will be to already have or be willing to put a good deal of effort into finding a large enough group of good people to play with such that you can regularly fill a server.

If they would put the bots back in (and maybe even improve on them a bit), I would at least be able to get my money's worth with the half-dozen or so people I might be able to round up at any one time.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Splinter Cell: Blacklist; System Specs Revealed
6. Re: Gone Gold - Splinter Cell: Blacklist; System Specs Revealed Aug 10, 2013, 11:21 Aero

Even the most consolefied people I know say the first three were the the best and the latter ones were crap (of course, despite being consolefied folk, they are at least still old enough to remember the first one).

I'd say what was so brilliant about the original formula was that the basic rules were so simple, but complex gameplay and lots of room for creative approaches would fall out of that.

I guess if what many people want is Call of Duty, though, these two things really just can't be reconciled. You can't both be Rambo *and* have to strategize your way around a lone patrolling guard.

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo