Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 772 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > EVE Shooter Plans?
1. Re: EVE Shooter Plans? Nov 8, 2008, 14:42 Aero

A "Halo-style" shooter?

Why not a space shooter? Better yet, why not an Elite-style MMO space shooter/trader?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2008, 13:59 Aero

I do often get the impression that these lists were written by somebody who is 18 years old.

News Comments > Iron Grip: Warlord & Demo Released
1. Re: Iron Grip: Warlord & Demo Released Nov 7, 2008, 13:57 Aero

Looks like it might be fun. Definitely not technically fancy at all, but that isn't always so important.  

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Rolling Demo
33. Re: X3: Terran Conflict Rolling Demo Nov 5, 2008, 19:58 Aero

I'm not sure how good a representation the demo will be. At least in my experience, it can fun beautifully most of the time, but you will encounter scenarios in game where there is more stuff going on than in the demo. A heavily trafficked sector can have dozens of stations and hundreds of ships. I would have liked to see a CPU stress test as well as a graphics stress test. If it runs well in the rolling demo though, it will probably run well in the actual game--just not as constantly smooth. I didn't bother with the benchmark, but it ran silky smooth the entire times. There was the odd micro-stutter (though oddly not in the GPU test), which would probably give your minimum framerate results a hit.  

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Rolling Demo
6. Re: X3: Terran Conflict Rolling Demo Nov 5, 2008, 11:44 Aero

I've always been just a hair away from fully getting into the X games. I buy them all (though not TC yet), and I do put in a good deal of time, but after a certain point frustration begins to set in.

It wouldn't take much to push me over the edge, and I'm hoping TC does just that. It's just the interface, really, that frustrates me because of all of the micro-managing you have to do. This is all part of the game of course, but when it gets to the point where if I take a break to smoke a cigarette or get something to drink and when I come back I'm in a menu that's nested several times over and I've lost my train of thought, things begin to get a little frustrating. It's pretty powerful once you get comfortable with it, sort of like using a command line or something like vi, but it would be a lot more enjoyable for me if it were more user friendly.

When it comes to playing though, you really don't need to get too involved with the more complicated management aspect of the game. It is very full featured and polished on many levels so just flying around and fighting or exploring the universe without having to lead large fleets around and manage factory output can be very enjoyable and there are plenty of things to do. Besides, there are so few space sims/shooters of any type that X is definitely worth playing if you enjoy these things.

News Comments > Gold - DYNASTY WARRIORS 6
1. Re: Gold - DYNASTY WARRIORS 6 Nov 3, 2008, 23:05 Aero

These games look so cool but I played one about five or six years ago and I didn't really dig it that much. Maybe they've gotten better.

Any opinions?

edit: I watched the trailer. Still looks pretty cool. Music made me want to vomit.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2008, 23:11.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch
27. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch Nov 3, 2008, 20:33 Aero

If you don't support these small developers at least, and use No CD/DVD hacks, you will be doomed to game like the following:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/167299/50-Cents-Game-Trailer.html

That trailer made me giggle. I'm glad they're making that game just because it meant I got to see that trailer.

I'll support the small developers if they make quality products. I'm not really so concerned about DRM, but I wish I hadn't bought Clear Sky, not like this. I wouldn't like to think I was encouraging this sort of thing. I really lament the Eastern European development community--they've got the wherewithal and the desire to make true PC games, but they're getting a bad reputation for releasing buggy messes.

I hope White Gold turns out okay. I hear the Russian version recently released is pretty decent though, so maybe it's a good sign. Boiling Point would have been great if only it had worked.

26. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch Nov 3, 2008, 20:25 Aero

Yes, that is what I should have done, and I really should have known better. I bought SOC the day it came out and I didn't have nearly as many problems as I have had with Clear Sky. I expected it to be buggy but not this buggy.

I still enjoyed playing it though, and I'm looking forward to playing it again. I just don't want to wear it out before I can have the full experience. Deep down it is really a fine game.

I've actually put Far Cry 2 on a similar hiatus, though not one so severe. I'm hoping there will be a patch in the near future that waters down the spawning a bit. Again, so that I can have a better experience the first time I fully play it. It's not really all that bad though. I'll still play it, only in half-hour spurts here and there, which is about how long it takes me to start growing weary of sneaking by/destroying the same checkpoints over and over again.

Fallout 3 is therefore a real godsend. It works pretty much as advertised right out of the box, and I should be able to get two or weeks out of that one for my first time through, barring any day-long gaming binges, which have been known to happen.

It's all worked out rather well these last couple weeks. Maybe by the time I work through Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 and then Grand Theft Auto 4, Clear Sky will be reasonably patched up and then I'll be set through the holidays. Throw in the odd bout of Street Fighter 4 and Left 4 Dead, and I may be square until summer.

23. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch Nov 3, 2008, 19:22 Aero

I'm glad that FC2 and Fallout3 came out when they did. I'd done one complete run through of Clear Sky, and I think it's great, but I don't want to play it for a while until it's fixed or at least as fixed as it is going to get.

Even though at this point it doesn't crash all that often (well, it isn't guaranteed to crash every time I play anymore), I still feel like I'm walking on eggshells in the game world just waiting for everything to go titsup at any moment. It kind of hampers the experience.

So, I'm going to put it down for a while. I think it's a tremendously good game in principle, they just need to sort it out so that it's also a good--or at least passable--game in practice as well.

I'm under the impression that this patch is not the one I'm waiting for. Maybe the next one.

8. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch Nov 3, 2008, 15:19 Aero

This is 1.5.06 but it works. The last patch made things worse in many cases so far as stability is concerned.

On a side note, good to see that they're adding new rendering features before they fix the actual game itself. That's very helpful.

News Comments > MotoGP 08 Installation Warning
2. Re: MotoGP 08 Installation Warning Oct 31, 2008, 12:29 Aero

Probably patch the uninstallation program, I guess.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Spore bore Oct 30, 2008, 08:32 Aero

The 'cute' side are a bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. They should be transferred to a department that only does The Sims addons.

The science side ought to be ashamed of themselves for letting the 'cute,' 'fuck gameplay, let's do as little as possible to make money' side of the dev team screw the game up like this.

News Comments > Wheelman Movie
2. Re: Wheelman Movie Oct 27, 2008, 22:28 Aero

That's a shame. Doesn't look very interesting. It could be good though, if it has solid gameplay mechanics. The 3rd person shooter bit looks very rigid and old-hat, and the driving looks very linear with simple physics. It looked as though, if I were playing it, I wouldn't be having a lot of fun. Based just on this video I'm not impressed, but hopefully it's just a poor representation.

Also, I could barely understand a lot of what that guy said.

News Comments > Stardock's DRM Plans
48. Re: Stardock's DRM Plans Oct 25, 2008, 14:53 Aero

If publishers are going to insist on online activation, I would prefer to see a system similar to that in Live For Speed.

--It doesn't install any drivers.

--You have a maximum of three activations at any one time, but you get one more added at the end of every week (therefore you have two extras). So if you use one of your extras, it will be replaced on Friday morning. You are however limited to having it installed on two computers at any one time, with one activation to spare.

--Your installation is tied to an account on their server, you can download the game anytime you want (it's a demo version until you unlock it).

IMO, this is an okay system. LFS is pretty much an online game though, so for a single player game they would probably have to limit you to downloading the software using your login on their server. There are cracks out there for it, of course, so they probably wouldn't want to pay for bandwidth to allow pirates to download it.

Of course I'd prefer no DRM. All DRM should do is try to prevent you from lending your disk to all your friends for them to install it. This seems like a reasonable use to me, it would keep the non-technically adept from pirating it, and that's about the best you can do. Online activation is good for that, better than a CD key. I'm not opposed to online activation in general, just the way SecurRom does it. Do it the way LFS does, and I don't mind so much.

addendum:

Oh also, I don't really mind Steam at all. That's a decent system enough system.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2008, 15:15.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Homebrew Widescreen Fix
16. Re: Far Cry 2 Homebrew Widescreen Fix Oct 25, 2008, 14:09 Aero

Clear Sky was pretty good, I enjoyed it. I do want some re-spawning though. This is the biggest problem with Clear Sky--after a while there is hardly anyone left to fight.

The single biggest disappointing thing about FC2, IMO, is the lack of factions. From the previews, I kind of got the impression that you could become friendly to one faction or at the very least neutral until some faction has it in for you.

As it is, everyone outside of the city tries to kill you on sight. There are no civilians, nothing but baddies. Because of the re-spawning, I'm sometimes hitting the same checkpoint every five minutes.

You should get at least a half-an hour before they respawn.

I do like it a lot though, it's one of the best games I've played in a while. Clear Sky and Far Cry 2 are the only games in recent memory I've been impressed with. If Clear Sky had the true open-spaces and the incredible seamless presentation of FC2, that would be the best game ever...seriously. The best. Better than Tetris.

ed: Oh, I've tried the widescreen fix. Doesn't quite work. You end up with too many lighting artifacts the wider the FOV becomes, and I don't want it quite as wide as most people seem to, so they may see even more.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2008, 14:11.

News Comments > Stardock's DRM Plans
3. Re: Stardock's DRM Plans Oct 24, 2008, 21:50 Aero

I wonder how long they've been planning this. It's definitely a little suspicious.

Makes me think of a revolutionary who has deposed a dictator but now must take control himself to ensure the success of the revolution. You have to wonder if he had it planned that way all along.

News Comments > Hellgate End Date
6. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 18:34 Aero

I wonder if they'll take it off the shelf. I saw quite a few copies still on sale at Best Buy just yesterday. At the very least they ought to put a sticker on it pointing out that the features listed on the box no longer apply.

News Comments > NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers
48. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 24, 2008, 18:31 Aero

I was very disappointed to find out there was still a disk check. I have no particular gripe with online activation, beyond just a fundamental disapproval of DRM in general, but at the very least they should remove the disk check seeing as how it ought to be unnecessary.

Given that there is going to be DRM, between online activation and a disk check I would choose the online activation. Both though is a little silly and clearly just an attempt to prevent resale.

I don't get too worked up about it though--I wouldn't bother boycotting a game or anything. I strongly disapprove of piracy, but I don't disapprove of cracks. Since any DRM can and will be cracked always, there isn't much to worry about really. If it were actually possible to build an uncrackable DRM, then I would change my opinion of it entirely. If it actually worked, I'd be all for it.

More on topic: It's good to see that there are new drivers. Haven't tried them, but the previous Far Cry 2 specific drivers were pretty pathetic. I had to jump through hoops to make it work with DX9, though in the end it turns out to run faster in DX10 than DX9 and the lighting is actually significantly better too unlike other DX10 supporting titles which look virtually identical and yet run at half the speed. Dunia seems to be a very nice engine.

I hope we see it licensed to a company interested in making a similar but deeper game--for instance, if GSC were to license it for their next Stalker game. That will never happen of course, but damn, that would be great. I do think Far Cry 2 is excellent, but it is a pretty superficial action game. There's nothing wrong with that really, I think it's a hell of a lot of fun, but they've built an engine that ought to be capable of so much more.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue
50. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 17:36 Aero

The 4:3 monitor will always show more of a 3D scene

You are wrong, simple as that. I've already linked several sources to prove that.

If that's true, then what are you complaining about? I thought your problem was that the view in widescreen had been cropped? Also, read that sentence again. The whole thing, and think about it. There's a difference between horizontal and vertical FOV.

Your Wikipedia link is totally irrelevant.

16:9 is better than 4:3, this is true. Is one 'wrong' though, and what does this have to do with the field of view?

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue
30. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 15:17 Aero

Oh, I should also add that I think FC2 is pretty damn good. My only complaints are the somewhat sluggish mouse control, and the driving does get a little tedious, but that is to be expected in a game like this.

It is a little disconcerting that everyone outside of the cities is trying to kill me. Shoot first and ask questions later I suppose. It's also weird that there seems to be a never ending supply of them just waiting in the jungle to fill in for their buddies at the checkpoint mere minutes after I've killed them. Where were they when I was killing their buddies is what I want to know. They're not being very good friends if you ask me.

I guess that the reason that everybody wants to kill me is probably because I stole their car. It is nice of them to just leave them around unlocked in handy locations though.

And yes, I would also like an adjustable FOV so that I can set it to match my personal taste.

772 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo