Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 714 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Movie, Preview
1. No subject Aug 21, 2008, 17:24 Aero

If there's one thing that's great about first person shooters, it's jumping puzzles. Everybody loves those.

Looks okay though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GTA4 PC Improvements
25. No subject Aug 20, 2008, 20:16 Aero

It would be nice if they could make it work properly with a force-feedback wheel. None of the previous GTA games worked with a wheel but I understand the driving physics have been updated.

I can imagine driving around using the proper controls and using the mouse to aim my gun out the window to shoot random pedestrians being pretty fun.

News Comments > ArmA II Next Year
12. No subject Aug 18, 2008, 15:07 Aero

It's difficult to say what was so disappointing about ArmA, but I was very disappointed too. The thing is, it was pretty much exactly the same as OFP, which was great and I played for years, but with modern graphics, so why should it be so disappointing?

Somehow, it just didn't do it for me though. In part, it was probably the near fatally broken single-player campaign. The first time I played it (after a broken, unbeatable tutorial and another one of those painfully long, unskippable drives to the battlefield), the Humvee driver got confused at an intersection, and just stopped, so I had to restart the mission. The second time he went the wrong way, so I had to restart again. The third time it worked, but I was shot in the back from 300-odd meters away the very instant I got out of the Humvee. Each time I had to sit though several minutes of the same terrible dialog as we drove to the battlefield. I gave up on it completely and played with the mission-editor instead.

The infantry controls became too complicated as well. Maneuvering your character around was like driving an extremely complicated, sluggish vehicle. OFP was good, slow but realistic, but ArmA's controls were just frustrating a lot of the time.

The performance also sucked. It did that annoying Crysis thing where you set the graphics up so that it runs smoothly and looks good but suddenly you get to some particular part on the island and you're getting 5 fps, so you have to configure the graphics around that, meaning they look unnecessarily like crap 95% of the time. It wasn't until I upgraded to a system well above the recommended specs that the frame rate was uniform. When I could run it at maximum settings and get 60 fps, it did look pretty good though.

Still, it wasn't terrible, and I play it here and there. It's just not the same. Patches have sorted out a lot of the issues, though not until recently. The new online game mode is nice. Right now it's decent enough, but my initial experience with it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I've lost a lot of faith in Bohemia, so I hope they can redeem themselves with ArmA 2. I'm pretty sure they can pull it off though, particularly since it doesn't seem all that different from ArmaA 1, so everything fixed in the patches should still apply.

Here's hoping. I'm definitely not going to buy it the day it comes out like I did with ArmA though. Really, I probably just got my hopes up a little too high because I loved OFP so much.

News Comments > GTR, GTR2, GT Legends Lobbies Return
1. Thank god... Aug 13, 2008, 15:33 Aero

...for that.

That would have largely rendered GTR2 and GTL useless. There are alternatives of course, but they're too obscure and this would have effectively killed them dead for all but league play.

iRacing would then be able to take a bigger bite of the community (because, by and large, RACE sucks) and the GTR2 crowd largely hates rFactor on principle, and it pretty much goes without saying that they wouldn't be interested in LFS.

Not that I don't like iRacing; iRacing is great. It's just going to bleed my wallet dry.

It has to make you reflect a bit. These companies aren't really under any obligation to keep their lobbies running, and that means it could all collapse at any moment.

News Comments > NVIDIA Drivers & UT3 PhysX Pack
13. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2008, 19:06 Aero

Yeah, so far I've only seen physics used in a "Hey look! Physics!" kind of way. Once they developers learn to use it subtly and effectively, I'm sure it will be pretty cool.

8. No subject Aug 12, 2008, 17:16 Aero

Warmonger is pretty silly. It's a decent little shooter and I had fun with it for a half-hour, but I don't see the benefit of PhysX really. The level destruction isn't anything special and could easily be done without it. The only thing I can really see where the PhysX stuff might come in handy is with the little sparks falling from the sky, but they're more annoying than anything else.

There was a FPS quite a while ago (like 2000, possibly earlier), Red-something, that had destructible levels done in pretty much the same way.

Also, the levels are already so screwed up that you barely notice the destructibility--I imagine this is probably intended to hide the shortcomings. It would be a lot cooler if the levels started off looking nice but were reduced to rubble heaps by the end of the round. That would make it worthwhile, but something like that is probably a ways off.

Anyways, I welcome PhysX support, but I don't really give a damn about it.

edit: The Folding@Home thing is pretty interesting though. I would like to see how it compares to a purely CPU based version.
This comment was edited on Aug 12, 17:22.

5. No subject Aug 12, 2008, 15:41 Aero

Well... the fluid demo is pretty cool, I guess. If turning of and on hardware acceleration is actually representative of the difference, it's about a billion times faster with it on. Of course, that's probably the whole point of the demo, so I naturally don't read much into it.

It is very cool though, but as with all nVidia demos going back almost ten years, it's virtually guaranteed that it will be at least two years before we see something like this actually appear in a game.

So... neat tricks, nothing more.

3. Hmmm... Aug 12, 2008, 15:21 Aero

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to use drivers that supported PhysX if I don't really give a damn about the PhysX (besides the obvious).

I'm interested in checking it out but if I'm just going to uninstall the drivers again, it's probably not worth the effort.

News Comments > New Evochron Renegades
1. No subject Aug 8, 2008, 14:07 Aero

This is a really great game. It has tremendous old-school appeal. The community is fantastic and the developer, Vice, is a great guy and can implement features, fixes and requests with insane speed.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 14:08.

News Comments > 10TACLE Insolvent
1. No subject Aug 7, 2008, 17:41 Aero

I damn well hope Blimey isn't affected. That would be bad, bad news for the sim-racing crowd. I wonder if the unannounced project is Project Falcon--I've heard some very interesting rumors about that one.

News Comments > NVIDIA PhysX Previews
30. No subject Aug 6, 2008, 21:06 Aero

I was really excited about the whole physics thing back when HL2 was about to come out. It seemed like a new direction that would actually change the fundamentals of game play that has otherwise been stagnant for many, many years now.

Being able to interact realistically with the environment would be a big step forward towards an experience that allowed actual creativity in your approach to the game as opposed to just figuring out how the developers intended you to negotiate a static level. Even the games that have destructible environments may as well have a big sign saying "you're supposed to blow up this wall."

I'm sure someday it will come--a game where rather than designing a 'level' they build, say, a building, with all of the properties of a building, and put the player and characters in it, and let you work out how to do things for yourself.

Ah, screw it... wishful thinking.

Anyways, more on topic:

If there was broad software support I could see this being a good thing. If they were to allow asymmetrical SLI setups so that I could buy a $70 320meg 8800GTS and plop it in next to my graphics card, I would certainly consider it. Of course, then we're sort of back to the physics accelerator card thing that never worked. If this nVidia thing, given how many people already have nVidia cards, can solve the chicken/egg problem that made the PhysX boards worthless, that's a Good Thing. I doubt it though.

News Comments > More GTA IV PC Rumor Mongering
53. No subject Jul 27, 2008, 14:28 Aero

to me your whole argument just seemed like you were trying to justify the fact that you cant run your games at any higher resolutions to yourself.

You seem like you're just trying to justify your investment in hardware. Do other people's opinions threaten you for some reason? Are you okay?

Naturally, this is all a subjective thing, and I wouldn't say anyone's opinion is wrong. I have plugged it into my tv and played at 1920x1080 and was not particularly impressed that it made the scene appear any more realistic. Of course, it was nice in many ways particularly the size, and I do like the widescreen format, but the color accuracy is not suitable for my computer use. Naturally, this is an aesthetic thing so YMMV. You must remember that there are much more important things than simple numbers.

You might prefer it, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but you cannot deny there are limits to the benefit of increasing the resolution. A very large screen does need a high resolution, but this is just to keep the image from appearing pixelated at game-playing range.

News Comments > More GTA IV PC Rumor Mongering
45. No subject Jul 27, 2008, 12:17 Aero

I play at 1024x768 with high-AA (8 or 16) most of the time (and depending on the game). On my 19-inch CRT, with high levels of AA, I'm hard pressed to see any improvement with the higher resolutions. If I'm limited to 4xAA, I'll run in 1280x1024 though. The improvement in framerate is often worth it.

Usually running something like 1600x1200 or higher just makes the limited graphics detail all the more apparent. Regardless of the resolution, there is a limited amount of detail in the actual scene--sort of like how you can only blow up a photograph (on film) so far before it just becomes blurry; if you were to digitize the photo, beyond a certain resolution you would have a higher resolution digital image but with no more actual detail in it.

News Comments > Sam & Max Season Two DVD Nears
1. No subject Jul 23, 2008, 13:56 Aero

Sweet.

I haven't been doing the episodic content thing, but I bought the full first season when it came out, and I'm sure I'll do the same for the second. Very amusing games and I hear the second series solves some of the annoyances of the first.

News Comments > Project Origin Details
30. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 16:13 Aero

You guys need some http://noscript.net action.

News Comments > Project Origin Details
24. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 12:57 Aero

Maintains the authenticity of the Alma storyline and players will know this is the only place to continue the saga

Does this imply some other company is going to be making a FEAR 2 like OFP2 and FarCry 2?

I liked the first one. It had good AI and the effects made the gunfights ridiculous, and the horror, "boo!" stuff was better than most. It did have its problems though, the repetitive levels, the sort of goofy story. It probably would have been better as a straight action-shooter without all of the supernatural stuff.

Monolith is a pretty good outfit. Minus a couple misfires, they've been making some of the best fps games since the mid nineties. I also appreciate the fact that after BUILD, they've been rolling their own engines rather than using the off-the-shelf stuff that makes too many FPSes the same games with different graphics.

News Comments > Spore to Feature an Ending
5. No subject Jul 17, 2008, 11:39 Aero

The more I see of it, the less 'innovative' it becomes. It seems like they started with a cool premise, but then realized they had to actually make it into a game--you know, with gameplay and stuff.

So, what I'm seeing is a simple little 2d action game, that becomes a 3D action game, then pretty standard looking, simple RTS, then a slightly more complicated RTS... and then it's over.

So the only real part you could consider innovative is the creature creator. The rest is just a way to shoehorn it into an actual game.

I'll still might buy it, if the reviews are good. I'm going to guess they're mediocre though. Only the advertiser's bitch sites (you know the ones) will give it high ratings. Ultimately, it will be a cool looking, highly polished game, but one that has jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none gameplay.

News Comments > Wolfenstein Trailer
14. No subject Jul 16, 2008, 14:12 Aero

I dunno. I'm not terribly impressed. I'll probably keep an eye on it though.

Raven used to be best pals with id. heretic was the first game to use the Doom engine, and probably the beginning of the whole fps game-engines as a middleware product popularity. That got a lot of play over the network, Gameconn and DWANGO. Hexen was even better.

Er... what was I saying again? Memory lane I suppose.

Anyways, the fact that they're developing it gives me a bit more hope. Of course, Quake 4 didn't do it for me at all.

We'll see.

News Comments > Wheelman Trailer
2. Driver? Jul 15, 2008, 21:14 Aero

Does this have any connection with the Driver games?

News Comments > Flock Announced
2. No subject Jul 15, 2008, 13:34 Aero

Sounds interesting enough. I'll keep an eye on it.

I want a remake of The Incredible Machine. I bet they could use all of the modern whatsits to actually improve upon the original, which so few remakes seem to do these days.

714 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo