Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 766 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch
27. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch Nov 3, 2008, 20:33 Aero

If you don't support these small developers at least, and use No CD/DVD hacks, you will be doomed to game like the following:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/167299/50-Cents-Game-Trailer.html

That trailer made me giggle. I'm glad they're making that game just because it meant I got to see that trailer.

I'll support the small developers if they make quality products. I'm not really so concerned about DRM, but I wish I hadn't bought Clear Sky, not like this. I wouldn't like to think I was encouraging this sort of thing. I really lament the Eastern European development community--they've got the wherewithal and the desire to make true PC games, but they're getting a bad reputation for releasing buggy messes.

I hope White Gold turns out okay. I hear the Russian version recently released is pretty decent though, so maybe it's a good sign. Boiling Point would have been great if only it had worked.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch Nov 3, 2008, 20:25 Aero

Yes, that is what I should have done, and I really should have known better. I bought SOC the day it came out and I didn't have nearly as many problems as I have had with Clear Sky. I expected it to be buggy but not this buggy.

I still enjoyed playing it though, and I'm looking forward to playing it again. I just don't want to wear it out before I can have the full experience. Deep down it is really a fine game.

I've actually put Far Cry 2 on a similar hiatus, though not one so severe. I'm hoping there will be a patch in the near future that waters down the spawning a bit. Again, so that I can have a better experience the first time I fully play it. It's not really all that bad though. I'll still play it, only in half-hour spurts here and there, which is about how long it takes me to start growing weary of sneaking by/destroying the same checkpoints over and over again.

Fallout 3 is therefore a real godsend. It works pretty much as advertised right out of the box, and I should be able to get two or weeks out of that one for my first time through, barring any day-long gaming binges, which have been known to happen.

It's all worked out rather well these last couple weeks. Maybe by the time I work through Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 and then Grand Theft Auto 4, Clear Sky will be reasonably patched up and then I'll be set through the holidays. Throw in the odd bout of Street Fighter 4 and Left 4 Dead, and I may be square until summer.

23. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch Nov 3, 2008, 19:22 Aero

I'm glad that FC2 and Fallout3 came out when they did. I'd done one complete run through of Clear Sky, and I think it's great, but I don't want to play it for a while until it's fixed or at least as fixed as it is going to get.

Even though at this point it doesn't crash all that often (well, it isn't guaranteed to crash every time I play anymore), I still feel like I'm walking on eggshells in the game world just waiting for everything to go titsup at any moment. It kind of hampers the experience.

So, I'm going to put it down for a while. I think it's a tremendously good game in principle, they just need to sort it out so that it's also a good--or at least passable--game in practice as well.

I'm under the impression that this patch is not the one I'm waiting for. Maybe the next one.

8. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch Nov 3, 2008, 15:19 Aero

This is 1.5.06 but it works. The last patch made things worse in many cases so far as stability is concerned.

On a side note, good to see that they're adding new rendering features before they fix the actual game itself. That's very helpful.

News Comments > MotoGP 08 Installation Warning
2. Re: MotoGP 08 Installation Warning Oct 31, 2008, 12:29 Aero

Probably patch the uninstallation program, I guess.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Spore bore Oct 30, 2008, 08:32 Aero

The 'cute' side are a bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. They should be transferred to a department that only does The Sims addons.

The science side ought to be ashamed of themselves for letting the 'cute,' 'fuck gameplay, let's do as little as possible to make money' side of the dev team screw the game up like this.

News Comments > Wheelman Movie
2. Re: Wheelman Movie Oct 27, 2008, 22:28 Aero

That's a shame. Doesn't look very interesting. It could be good though, if it has solid gameplay mechanics. The 3rd person shooter bit looks very rigid and old-hat, and the driving looks very linear with simple physics. It looked as though, if I were playing it, I wouldn't be having a lot of fun. Based just on this video I'm not impressed, but hopefully it's just a poor representation.

Also, I could barely understand a lot of what that guy said.

News Comments > Stardock's DRM Plans
48. Re: Stardock's DRM Plans Oct 25, 2008, 14:53 Aero

If publishers are going to insist on online activation, I would prefer to see a system similar to that in Live For Speed.

--It doesn't install any drivers.

--You have a maximum of three activations at any one time, but you get one more added at the end of every week (therefore you have two extras). So if you use one of your extras, it will be replaced on Friday morning. You are however limited to having it installed on two computers at any one time, with one activation to spare.

--Your installation is tied to an account on their server, you can download the game anytime you want (it's a demo version until you unlock it).

IMO, this is an okay system. LFS is pretty much an online game though, so for a single player game they would probably have to limit you to downloading the software using your login on their server. There are cracks out there for it, of course, so they probably wouldn't want to pay for bandwidth to allow pirates to download it.

Of course I'd prefer no DRM. All DRM should do is try to prevent you from lending your disk to all your friends for them to install it. This seems like a reasonable use to me, it would keep the non-technically adept from pirating it, and that's about the best you can do. Online activation is good for that, better than a CD key. I'm not opposed to online activation in general, just the way SecurRom does it. Do it the way LFS does, and I don't mind so much.

addendum:

Oh also, I don't really mind Steam at all. That's a decent system enough system.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2008, 15:15.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Homebrew Widescreen Fix
16. Re: Far Cry 2 Homebrew Widescreen Fix Oct 25, 2008, 14:09 Aero

Clear Sky was pretty good, I enjoyed it. I do want some re-spawning though. This is the biggest problem with Clear Sky--after a while there is hardly anyone left to fight.

The single biggest disappointing thing about FC2, IMO, is the lack of factions. From the previews, I kind of got the impression that you could become friendly to one faction or at the very least neutral until some faction has it in for you.

As it is, everyone outside of the city tries to kill you on sight. There are no civilians, nothing but baddies. Because of the re-spawning, I'm sometimes hitting the same checkpoint every five minutes.

You should get at least a half-an hour before they respawn.

I do like it a lot though, it's one of the best games I've played in a while. Clear Sky and Far Cry 2 are the only games in recent memory I've been impressed with. If Clear Sky had the true open-spaces and the incredible seamless presentation of FC2, that would be the best game ever...seriously. The best. Better than Tetris.

ed: Oh, I've tried the widescreen fix. Doesn't quite work. You end up with too many lighting artifacts the wider the FOV becomes, and I don't want it quite as wide as most people seem to, so they may see even more.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2008, 14:11.

News Comments > Stardock's DRM Plans
3. Re: Stardock's DRM Plans Oct 24, 2008, 21:50 Aero

I wonder how long they've been planning this. It's definitely a little suspicious.

Makes me think of a revolutionary who has deposed a dictator but now must take control himself to ensure the success of the revolution. You have to wonder if he had it planned that way all along.

News Comments > Hellgate End Date
6. Re: Hellgate End Date Oct 24, 2008, 18:34 Aero

I wonder if they'll take it off the shelf. I saw quite a few copies still on sale at Best Buy just yesterday. At the very least they ought to put a sticker on it pointing out that the features listed on the box no longer apply.

News Comments > NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers
48. Re: NVIDIA Far Cry 2 Beta Drivers Oct 24, 2008, 18:31 Aero

I was very disappointed to find out there was still a disk check. I have no particular gripe with online activation, beyond just a fundamental disapproval of DRM in general, but at the very least they should remove the disk check seeing as how it ought to be unnecessary.

Given that there is going to be DRM, between online activation and a disk check I would choose the online activation. Both though is a little silly and clearly just an attempt to prevent resale.

I don't get too worked up about it though--I wouldn't bother boycotting a game or anything. I strongly disapprove of piracy, but I don't disapprove of cracks. Since any DRM can and will be cracked always, there isn't much to worry about really. If it were actually possible to build an uncrackable DRM, then I would change my opinion of it entirely. If it actually worked, I'd be all for it.

More on topic: It's good to see that there are new drivers. Haven't tried them, but the previous Far Cry 2 specific drivers were pretty pathetic. I had to jump through hoops to make it work with DX9, though in the end it turns out to run faster in DX10 than DX9 and the lighting is actually significantly better too unlike other DX10 supporting titles which look virtually identical and yet run at half the speed. Dunia seems to be a very nice engine.

I hope we see it licensed to a company interested in making a similar but deeper game--for instance, if GSC were to license it for their next Stalker game. That will never happen of course, but damn, that would be great. I do think Far Cry 2 is excellent, but it is a pretty superficial action game. There's nothing wrong with that really, I think it's a hell of a lot of fun, but they've built an engine that ought to be capable of so much more.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue
50. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 17:36 Aero

The 4:3 monitor will always show more of a 3D scene

You are wrong, simple as that. I've already linked several sources to prove that.

If that's true, then what are you complaining about? I thought your problem was that the view in widescreen had been cropped? Also, read that sentence again. The whole thing, and think about it. There's a difference between horizontal and vertical FOV.

Your Wikipedia link is totally irrelevant.

16:9 is better than 4:3, this is true. Is one 'wrong' though, and what does this have to do with the field of view?

30. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 15:17 Aero

Oh, I should also add that I think FC2 is pretty damn good. My only complaints are the somewhat sluggish mouse control, and the driving does get a little tedious, but that is to be expected in a game like this.

It is a little disconcerting that everyone outside of the cities is trying to kill me. Shoot first and ask questions later I suppose. It's also weird that there seems to be a never ending supply of them just waiting in the jungle to fill in for their buddies at the checkpoint mere minutes after I've killed them. Where were they when I was killing their buddies is what I want to know. They're not being very good friends if you ask me.

I guess that the reason that everybody wants to kill me is probably because I stole their car. It is nice of them to just leave them around unlocked in handy locations though.

And yes, I would also like an adjustable FOV so that I can set it to match my personal taste.

29. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 15:02 Aero

Aero, sorry, you don't know what you are talking about.

What does the Wikipedia link have to do with anything?

What you're saying is that you want the vertical FOV for widescreen to be the same as the vertical FOV for 4:3, because you want to see more on a 16:9 screen monitor than on a 4:3 monitor. The 4:3 monitor will always show more of a 3D scene, in terms of the view frustrum, for a given horizontal FOV and the widescreen monitor will always show more for a given vertical FOV.

If you really want to see more, why not have them set the horizontal FOV to 360 degrees? Then you'll see everything around you, except of course, it will look ridiculous--severe fish-eye distortion.

The advantage of a widescreen monitor is that you can have a larger horizontal FOV without the image getting fish-eyed. The horizontal FOV is more important, because it equates more closely to human vision. So you can relax, your widescreen monitor is better than a 4:3 monitor, so you didn't waste your money.

Whether or not a given FOV is "right" or not though, is more difficult. What you really want is the maximum FOV you can get without the screen getting uncomfortably fish-eyed. Different people have different sensitivities to this, because your brain has to jimmy things around, and we've all become accustomed to less than 'ideal' FOVs.

The further you sit from a screen of a given size, the lower the FOV has to be (which is why console FPSs have lower FOVs), because of this "ideal" FOV for a given eyepoint. Imagine a line drawn from your eye to something in the 3D scene, it should go straight through the screen to end up at whatever object is there in the virtual space as though you were looking through a window. This ideal though would be too small for a normal distance from the a normal sized screen though, so we have to deal with a certain amount of fish-eye, as much as you can take, to be able to see enough in the game.

The developers keep this in mind, and choose a reasonable FOV in accordance with minimizing fish-eye while still giving an appropriate viewing angle. If you were to use the same vertical FOV as a 4:3 monitor on your wide screen monitor, the scene would become more fish-eyed.

If you can take that amount of fish-eye, that's just fine, but it isn't "wrong" to have a different FOV (given that we probably can't use the "ideal" mentioned above). You're probably sitting too close to your monitor though. You should be able to see the entire screen without having to move your eyes significantly. If you like sitting real close though, you might indeed want a larger FOV--but that's just because you like to sit that close to your screen, most people don't.

The differences between 4:3 and 16:9 has nothing to do with it. You can't look at one and then say the other is wrong. You can look at one though and say I prefer this one, that's perfectly normal. To me, the 4:3 screenshots look too fish-eyed.

In short, whatever floats your boat. I would like the FOV to be selectable too, because it always helps to be able to mess around with it to get something comfortable.

This whole "true widescreen" though is bullshit. It's all relative bud. If it were based on the 'ideal' FOV for a given setup, then I'd have to give them that one, but that would be a ridiculous FOV to actually play with unless you're playing on an IMAX (which would, of course, be fucking awesome)--they want an FOV even further from the ideal because, really, the 'ideal' is anything but for the actual practicalities of playing a computer game.

Anyways, that was a really long post. I hope I've cleared that up for you though.

5. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 12:52 Aero

Though I think people should have the option to change FOV, there is no such thing as "true" widescreen. It's an aesthetic choice on the part of the developers. They built the game specifically for widescreen, but this means this would muck things up for people playing with 4:3, so they increase the FOV for people with 4:3 monitors so it has the same horizontal coverage.

IMO this is worse for 4:3 users rather than a problem for widescreen users because, based on the screenshots, the 4:3 FOV is way too big and looks distorted (note the weapon, it seems to warp toward the center of the screen and just looks odd).

The problem is that people, for some reason, believe that they should see more with a widescreen monitor when it really just has to do with the aesthetic presentation of the game.

I've always believed this to be odd. If people never saw a screenshot of the 4:3 version, they wouldn't know the difference.

It is just a matter of "bigger is better" reasoning. I do think you should be able to change the FOV though so that people could set it to whatever they like.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2008, 12:52.

News Comments > Game Reviews
17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 22, 2008, 21:08 Aero

Far Cry 2:

I like it, it's very good. I can't say that I have no complaints, the mouse control seems a little bit sluggish for some reason, but not so bad as to interfere with playing, it just could be a little snappier.

The world isn't quite as 'open' as I would have hoped, in certain areas you are in a valley and essentially walled in, but on the whole it is a very impressive open environment--you just couldn't trek all the way across the map as the crow flies.

The gunfights are very gratifying, there is a sense of mass & inertia that is somehow very satisfying. The gore is cool too. Thick globules of blood flying around when you shoot people, and of course, the much discussed field surgery. I do wish that you could select a semi-auto firing mode for the rifles though, I usually prefer that approach, but you can always just click the fire button once I suppose.

They did a great job with the immersion, it never departs from the first person and your character has no dialog (like Half-Life--which I've always felt makes a big difference), and everything has an animation--doors don't magically open by themselves, you don't teleport into the drivers seat of a car or to the gunner's position, or somehow inhale the objects you pick up through telekinesis. It has a very slick presentation.

On the technical side, the graphics are very good and run very smoothly even in DX10 mode (the new 180.42 drivers made it run 25% faster for me, and on the low end of the fps, where it counts the most). It definitely isn't Crysis though, it's not as fancy as that. It's really the artistic work that makes it look good.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. In some ways it is better than I had hoped, and in some ways it isn't quite what I'd built it up to be in my imagination. If I had to rate it like the reviewers do, I would probably put it in the high 80's, maybe a 90.

It is an excellent game, the only real question is whether it lives up to the hype, and really, nothing ever does. Comes pretty close though.

In the interst of full disclosure: I've only put about six hours in so far, maybe it gets worse, but I doubt it. I can maybe imagine it getting repetitive to a certain degree.

The DRM did give me a little trouble. For an hour after I bought it, there were problems with the server or whatever, and it refused to acknowledge my cd-key (other people as well), but that cleared up soon enough. You can always just crack it if it comes to that I suppose. I don't get too uptight about DRM usually. If I don't have to have the disk in the drive, and I can revoke my activations, I don't really have a problem with online activation. I play a lot of racing sims, and because they're smaller outfits who can only sell online, I've been doing the activation thing for years... it is a bit different when you can't send an e-mail to the actual developers though should you run out instead of some tech-support nobody, so we'll see.

addendum:

I do have one complaint, though this isn't really limited to FC2. Why is it that in every FPS that has cars, the controls always suck? FC2 is no different. I guess that a keyboard just isn't meant for driving. I almost have a mind to set up my wheel offset, next to my keyboard to be used with the left hand for the driving parts. I doubt it would let me do that, but it should.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2008, 21:35.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Announced
12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 20:04 Aero

Looks pretty good to me, stylized, a little comic-book-like, not technically fancy but reasonably tasteful.

Of course, I hate MMORPGS though I did like KOTOR. So why am I posting? Because I'm bored, that's why. If it worked a little more like Mass Effect, semi-action, that would be something interesting. I might try that even though I do hate MMORPGS. There's a first time for everything.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2
53. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2 Oct 21, 2008, 18:40 Aero

I see that Edge gave it an 80%. Probably apples/oranges, but 80% to 94% is a significant gap.

Either way, I'm picking it up after work tomorrow. I've been looking forward to it for quite a while, no time to wait for reviews. If it sucks it sucks, whatever. My guess, worst case: mediocre.

The premise sort of reminds me of Boiling Point, except developed by a company that has a clue about what its doing. Probably not so much RPG (stats and stuff), but I never cared for that stuff in an action game anyways.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2008, 18:49.

News Comments > PCGA Slaps LucasArts
6. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 15:18 Aero

...reminds me of the SNES Star Wars trilogy. It is an arcade sidescroller gone 3D

Those games were awesome. I owned a Genesis, but I used to rent a SNES system from the video store just to play those games.

Yeah, Lucasarts sucks. No doubt about it. One of the all time great PC developers. Some of their best games weren't even based on Lucas's IP.

Lucasart's fall is probably one of the greatest tragedies in the history of PC gaming. I can only imagine what we'd be seeing these days if they stuck to their original ethos.

Anything negative anybody has to say about Lucasarts, even if it is totally untrue, is entirely justified IMO.

766 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo