Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 748 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Hitman: Blood Money and The Golden Goose Free on GameTap
4. Re: Hitman: Blood Money and The Golden Goose Free on GameTap Nov 25, 2008, 20:17 Aero

I don't think I've ever played Blood Money. I've never used Gametap either and I'm not sure I want to. I take it I need to install all kinds of crap onto my computer, download 2 gigabytes, and then uninstall it all again when the time limit runs out?

It would probably be easier to just order it online for $10. I suppose it's nice to have the option though. What is the general opinion of Gametap?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gold - Prince of Persia - Updated
2. Re: Gold - Prince of Persia Nov 21, 2008, 19:43 Aero

I never did understand the concept of limited editions. Sure, if it's free why not, but why would anyone pay for it?

News Comments > Universal Combat Collectors’ Edition Patches
20. Re: Universal Combat Collectors’ Edition Patches Nov 21, 2008, 15:41 Aero

I call Godwin's law. It's over.  

News Comments > GRIN Making Terminator Salvation
5. Re: GRIN Making Terminator Salvation Nov 20, 2008, 23:01 Aero

I believe that one was the first one Bethesda did, years and years ago. I still remember the rust colored copy protection paper, and stealing from cash registers.

I have very fond memories of that game. The "body count" statistic proved to be the most fun 'points' earning had ever been in a video game up to that point amongst my friends.

I probably only killed the Terminator or Sarah Connor a half dozen times, but I bet my all-time body count was easily several thousand, if not more. If I didn't get 100 kills in a sitting, something was wrong. When the green blobs (army) started coming, and I had my M-60, it was on.

It really was a lot like GTA, but almost ten years earlier.

Cool sound too. I just used the PC speaker but I think it was one of the first games to support the Sound Blaster (I remember it came with an insert advertising the Sound Blaster for $250). It was definitely the first game I remember using full digitized sound, which was remarkable because it also did it using just the PC speaker. That "I'll Be Back" game over bit made my jaw drop the first time I saw it.

Um. I think every time this game is posted I go on this same trip down memory lane. I've been doing that a lot lately.

News Comments > Universal Combat Collectors’ Edition Patches
5. Re: Universal Combat Collectors’ Edition Patches Nov 20, 2008, 22:47 Aero

Unpopular a view as it may be, I think these games are underrated.

They're not perfect, sometimes their reach exceeds their grasp and there can be some very annoying foibles, but they do have a certain appealing depth to them and I appreciate that, particularly these days as almost anything other than increasingly samey action shooters are jammed into a smaller and smaller niche. They do hark back to better days, though those days are probably a little distorted by a rosy haze.

I'm glad that someone is making games like this because regardless of their shortcomings these are, in theory anyways, how I imagined computer games would be 'in the future' fifteen or twenty years ago. There are very few games that even approach that. There are a lot of great games I wouldn't even have been able to imagine back then, but games like this were what a lot of people dreamed about.

News Comments > GRIN Making Terminator Salvation
1. Re: GRIN Making Terminator Salvation Nov 20, 2008, 21:02 Aero

Jeez. They ought to give the Terminator license back to Bethesda. At least whatever they made would sound good on paper.  

News Comments > Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer
4. Re: Mirror's Edge PhysX Details; Trailer Nov 19, 2008, 21:24 Aero

Both the 8000 series and the 9000 series support PhysX.

It's not really worth much though. I have yet to see a game that actually does anything with PhysX that you couldn't do pretty much equally well just in software.

It's a gimmick, but I hope it does catch on because I believe it will one day prove to be a very useful thing once it is more widely supported by hardware and, hopefully, there is a standard for it.

I'm sure Microsoft could add it to DirectX and clearly there is already HPC development for Linux using these things, so a standard would help there as well.

edit: Oh, and the 200 series, naturally.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2008, 21:25.

News Comments > Colin McRae: DiRT 2 Announced
2. Re: Colin McRae: DiRT 2 Announced Nov 19, 2008, 21:21 Aero

If they sort out the force-feedback wheel support I might pick it up. Hows about a sequel to Richard Burns Rally? That's easily the best rally sim out there by a country mile. Both Burns and McRae are dead, so I think it would be a fitting memorial for these great drivers if there were to be a continuation of their respective game series.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
8. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Nov 19, 2008, 16:47 Aero

Haven't tried them yet, but yeah, I bet that those Far Cry 2 numbers aren't entirely accurate in the real world. There could be strings attached, like 'at 640x480 with all details turned down' or at some ridiculous resolution with every whiz bang effect applied--ie. 7fps instead of 5fps on the highest end hardware.

I have seen significant improvements in newer games though, when it is a driver specifically optimized for it, so it may well be true for FC2. Even if it were only half that, it's still pretty impressive. I wonder how much of this was already there in the FC2 specific beta. I think I did get something near 30% compared with my original older set, and on the minimum framerate too, where it counts the most.

Those numbers for other games are probably the same ones they've been going on about for a while now.

Back when the first Detonator drivers came out, if I recall correctly, they were making similar claims and continued to do so for a long time afterward though it only applied relative to the pre-detonator drivers.

I'm happy to have some new WHQL drivers all the same because I've been using the FC2 betas. Though I've had no problems, I prefer a stable release.

News Comments > On the Grand Theft Auto IV PC Movie Editor
10. Re: On the Grand Theft Auto IV PC Movie Editor Nov 19, 2008, 15:48 Aero

I've been told, as a general rule of thumb, that you can expect to get about twice the performance for a given set of otherwise equal hardware developing for a fixed platform.

I suspect that most of the improvements to GTA4 relative to the console version will be a result of the significantly greater amount of both system and graphics memory on even mid-range systems, though PC system memory is significantly slower than that on the consoles. PC graphics memory throughput is of course many times faster than the consoles'.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Naturally, they could also totally stuff the conversion, which wouldn't help anything.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to it. I have never even seen it on the consoles.

News Comments > Wheelman in February
1. Re: Wheelman in February Nov 19, 2008, 13:54 Aero

I hope it isn't, but I'm predicting a tremendous critical flop. It will still probably sell well because it will have a colorful box.

Everything I've seen so far has been sensationally dull, "been there, done that" looking--and in many aspects, at least five years ago.

News Comments > Mac LEGO Indiana Jones This Month
1. Re: Mac LEGO Indiana Jones This Month Nov 18, 2008, 19:20 Aero

It's good to see all of these Mac games coming out.

I hate Apple's business model, but they do make nice stuff.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Space Trader – Merchant Marine
1. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Space Trader – Merchant Marine Nov 15, 2008, 14:24 Aero

Well... that's a shame.

These smaller, independent developers should make a point of limiting their scope by finding ways around their weaknesses (ie. art/graphics as you can plainly see from the screenshots) and work to their potential strengths in terms of depth, gameplay and narrative. You really don't need tons of artists and huge budgets for those things.

As demonstrated by the old Doctor Who serials, if you are aware of your limitations and work around them, leaving those parts to the viewers imaginations, it is ultimately more effective. As an example, it would be better to just have a shot of the characters reacting to a spaceship crashing, lighting them up with a flash of light and a explosion sound effect, than showing us crappy special effect of a painted paper plate on a string being blown up by a firecracker.

I've gone off on a tangent, but you probably know what I mean. Small independent developers have the potential to make some of the best games, they just need to realize they're small independent developers.

Of course, maybe this game is good, I haven't tried it.

News Comments > New Evochron Renegades
4. Re: New Evochron Renegades Nov 14, 2008, 15:45 Aero

Wow looks excellent. I'll be there on the day its finished to buy it. The new cities look exceptionally good.

I especially like the new radio chatter. I was, and still am--slowly, working on a mod for ER along those lines which I started something like six months ago with the intention of it being finished in about a month. Turns out it isn't that easy. I just can't come up enough lines. (I'm Mechanical on the ER forums by the way, haven't been around too much lately though because of school, work and whatnot).

Of course, the diversion into superficial-but-pretty action gameland took a chunk of time too.

I like the X games. They're great, but it is totally different. I love that ER is more about you, your ship, and the galaxy. X has a huge scale in terms of business and fleets, and it's excellent for that, but I never really felt like I was exploring alone in the void--everything is pretty much just there between the gates in what basically feel like "rooms" populated with objects.

Naturally, I play them both, but for their individual strengths and styles.

News Comments > New Evochron Renegades
1. Re: New Evochron Renegades Nov 14, 2008, 12:59 Aero

Man, they just keep banging away with the patches. Very nice. Haven't tried it yet though. I haven't gotten around to re-installing it since my latest upgrade because I needed to play all of the pretty games I was missing out on. I'll probably come back to games like ER pretty soon, and then I'll wonder why I spent so much money for the upgrade.  

News Comments > Jumpgate Evolution Beta is Big
3. Re: Jumpgate Evolution Beta is Big Nov 10, 2008, 15:01 Aero

I've been looking forward to this for a while. I never did get in on the previous versions but I hear good things for the most part.

I'm not an MMO-type gamer generally, but that's mostly because I don't like the sort of games that most lend themselves to MMOs (RPGs etc). The sort of commitment required is a bit of a hurdle too. So many seem more like work than like games, but space combat is something I could dig so that even if I wasn't obsessively leveling up like the 'hardcore' players, I could still have fun just blowing stuff up and flying around.

News Comments > EVE Shooter Plans?
1. Re: EVE Shooter Plans? Nov 8, 2008, 14:42 Aero

A "Halo-style" shooter?

Why not a space shooter? Better yet, why not an Elite-style MMO space shooter/trader?

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2008, 13:59 Aero

I do often get the impression that these lists were written by somebody who is 18 years old.

News Comments > Iron Grip: Warlord & Demo Released
1. Re: Iron Grip: Warlord & Demo Released Nov 7, 2008, 13:57 Aero

Looks like it might be fun. Definitely not technically fancy at all, but that isn't always so important.  

News Comments > X3: Terran Conflict Rolling Demo
33. Re: X3: Terran Conflict Rolling Demo Nov 5, 2008, 19:58 Aero

I'm not sure how good a representation the demo will be. At least in my experience, it can fun beautifully most of the time, but you will encounter scenarios in game where there is more stuff going on than in the demo. A heavily trafficked sector can have dozens of stations and hundreds of ships. I would have liked to see a CPU stress test as well as a graphics stress test. If it runs well in the rolling demo though, it will probably run well in the actual game--just not as constantly smooth. I didn't bother with the benchmark, but it ran silky smooth the entire times. There was the odd micro-stutter (though oddly not in the GPU test), which would probably give your minimum framerate results a hit.  

748 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo