Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 756 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > TR Layoffs Confirmed; Lara's Makeover?
9. Re: TR Layoffs Confirmed; Lara's Makeover? Jan 11, 2009, 15:06 Aero

It's funny, when the first one was released it was lauded for having a female protagonist. Something that might appeal more to female players. There weren't so many polygons to spare on boobs though in those days.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Combat Mission Shock Force: New Demo & Patches
1. Re: Combat Mission Shock Force: New Demo & Patches Jan 9, 2009, 13:03 Aero

I hear this has improved considerably with patching.  

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patches
3. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patches Jan 8, 2009, 13:12 Aero

Pretty much nothing but MP fixes I see, which nobody gives a damn about for the most part.

Probably going to end up like SOC where they announce new patches, everyone gets excited, and then it turns out to fix some obscure MP bug while leaving the single player game as buggy as ever.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines This Year
1. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines This Year Jan 7, 2009, 12:55 Aero

Cool. When I read the preview yesterday, it sort of seemed like this was one or two years away.

Hope it doesn't suck. Hope it has co-op. Probably won't, but that will be a real tragedy and I hope they at least realize this.

News Comments > BioShock: The Phantom Menace?
3. Re: BioShock: The Phantom Menace? Jan 7, 2009, 12:52 Aero

Yeah. The second and third Matrix movie suck. The first through third Star Wars movies also suck.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. They're going to make a bunch of sequels, but they aren't going to suck. Is that the gist of what he's saying? Okay then.

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Jan 7, 2009, 00:32 Aero

First I've heard of it, but that Aliens game looks kind of cool.

Here's hoping. It's funny, but it when I looked into it, it was a huge relief to see that it was using the Unreal3 engine. With so many braindead PC ports of game engines in multi-platform games lately, at least we know this one will run well and work well... at least I hope... they usually do anyways. I pray the gameplay isn't too consolized. Surely it will be (quicktime events?), but mindless run-and-gun action games don't usually suffer from it so much.

A bunch of aliens charging at you, a pulse rifle, a flamethrower, and it ought to be good times.

Co-op? From the description, it's just begging for it. AliensTC co-op memories on modern hardware.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Strike Fighters 2
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Strike Fighters 2 Jan 4, 2009, 13:13 Aero

I like these Third Wire sims. They're chopped down a bit in terms of complexity, but that means you can spend more time actually flying your jet and less time fiddling around with arcane controls in a virtual cockpit. Good stuff unless you're really into that sort of thing.

News Comments > netKar PRO Demo
1. Re: netKar PRO Demo Dec 28, 2008, 18:57 Aero

It's a huge improvement over 1.0.2. It's how Netkar PRO should have been in its first version. It probably has the most realistic vehicle physics out of all of the current racing simulators save maybe iRacing, though even there it is debatable. They also dumped the Pacjeka tire simulation, and though that was excellent in most circumstances, the new version is much better.

The previously stingy demo (one car, one 'test' track, no multiplayer, and the cars telemetry and electronics didn't even work), has been replaced by a pretty generous one. You only get the Formula Ford 1600 but it is otherwise the same as the full version, including access to all of the tracks.

It's worth a try for sure if you're into this sort of thing. The UI still sucks though, but once you figure it out it isn't all that big a deal.

Good stuff, and about damn time too. NKP was broken on release and has remained pretty much dead until now. I dunno if this can save it, but hopefully it will help. Interestingly, Kunos--the developer--has been developing a simulator for some unnamed F1 team, which is a large part of the reason NKP's development has stagnated so much.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 23, 2008, 01:19 Aero

1/10 for GTA4. That's hilarious and yet so sad at the same time. That is definitely the rating it deserves relative to how much trouble a lot of people are having with it from a technical perspective. Some people are going to buy it, and it's going to be effectively useless to them.

I think this is particularly true of GTA4 which, because of how popular the franchise is, probably a lot of people will buy it who don't otherwise buy a lot of computer games, and it's going to suck terribly for them. 10% for sure.

Kudos to this guy for rating the game he actually played rather than some theoretical game that would otherwise be awesome if it worked right like a lot of the bigger commercial sites have been doing.

edit:

I should say though that 10% is a little harsh on the whole, but that certainly is and will be the opinion of a lot of people. Personally based on my experience, I'd give it a 70% for being a good game but one that has been terribly disappointing to me because of how much of a headache it turned out to be.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2008, 01:29.

News Comments > CCP May be Forced from Iceland
1. Re: CCP May be Forced from Iceland Dec 23, 2008, 01:15 Aero

Damn. Those guys just can't catch a break.  

News Comments > THQ & PhysX
3. Re: THQ & PhysX Dec 21, 2008, 16:17 Aero

Yep.

Woooo! More ragdolls and tumbling boxes!

Wake me up when it actually affects the gameplay in some useful way that can't be done on the CPU.

Hopefully that will happen soon. We'll probably need a genuine standard first though. Maybe DirectPhysics or something like that. Competing API's never work out well.

News Comments > Empire Total War Movie
4. Re: Empire Total War Movie Dec 19, 2008, 17:23 Aero

I've always wondered how these games would work when the combat was centered primarily around ranged weapons. Definitely wouldn't go any further than 1800's line up and fire sort of engagements though.

Anyone ever play North and South on the NES?

News Comments > EA Games on Steam
2. Re: EA Games on Steam Dec 19, 2008, 17:19 Aero

I suppose this is good to see. Steam has a lot of issues to be sure, but IMO it is the best direct download distributor. I'm not really sure how I like the idea of one company having so much control, and I'd rather see the developers be able to distribute their software directly, but if it's going to be one commercial system or another, I'd pick Steam.

There are some other systems that seem to work pretty well though and have given me no problems. I don't recall the systems specifically, but rFactor, Evochron, LFS and a few other online-only distributions have worked out well for me.

News Comments > EVE Exploit Follow-up
12. Re: EVE Exploit Follow-up Dec 16, 2008, 15:00 Aero

Maybe it's time for a total reset. Year zero.

Otherwise, it would be interesting if they could take all of the corporations that could be traced to this exploit, treat it as though they were buying the resources on credit that they have to now pay back with interest, start a recession, and see what happens. Could be very poignant in terms of the current world market and would probably alter the universe in all sorts of interesting ways.

I don't really know how Eve works though, and since it probably isn't traceable and maybe it couldn't work or for various other reasons, so something like this surely wouldn't happen, but it could be interesting.

News Comments > GTA4 PC Patch Issues
6. Re: GTA4 PC Patch Issues Dec 13, 2008, 15:03 Aero

Just had to make that Christmas release, huh.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV PC Patch
7. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV PC Patch Dec 13, 2008, 00:37 Aero

I can't remember the last time I've seen a game so desperately need anti-aliasing. I'd rather play it at 800x600 with 4xAA than 1680x1050 without it. The shadows look like garbage. It would probably even look better if you could turn them off. Basically, the whole thing would look better if you could smooth it out to hide the numerous little lighting artifacts. I've been thinking about just plugging my computer into my old CRT television to blur it out a little.

I actually get decent-ish performance though, probably in the 40's (50's according to the benchmark but I don't buy that), with the graphics settings in the middle but it looks like crap, even at its maximum settings.

Overall, I don't think it's terrible, it's just a huge disappointment compared to how it could have been if it were developed properly for the PC. It's still a good game underneath though. Just a disappointment.

I don't see anything in the patch list that seems like it would make a difference for me. Hopefully, I suppose. Maybe nvidia will be able to swing some drivers so it supports FSAA--not holding my breath on that one.

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Dec 5, 2008, 13:22 Aero

I wonder if Rockstar released this screwed up 1.0 on purpose so that the pirates will spend a bunch of time cracking it and then they'll immediately release 1.01 that solves all of the problems and is a whole new system to crack.

Okay, no, definitely not.

It is frustrating though because we know that there is an excellent game underneath all of the porting garbage, but they're just too incompetent to have done it properly. I do like the stories I've heard about the copy protection tricks though. Oldschool style.

If only they'd spent as much time fixing the game as they did programming in all of these tricks that screw up the gameplay for the pirate kiddies.

At least this review is going in the right direction. I'll take a 7 on the high end because, like Clear Sky, the game itself is (probably, haven't tried it) good, it just doesn't work properly. A straight up zero-fail sounds like it would be better for now at least so far as people who just won't be able to play it for bugs are concerned.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 5, 2008, 12:31 Aero

Completely unrelated, BIOHAZARD made me think of Bioforge, which is something I'd much rather see. I wonder what it would be like today

Probably like the original, requires ridiculously powerful hardware to play.

There's a lot of that going around lately. It would be cool though.

News Comments > GTA4 PC Problems
94. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 4, 2008, 20:11 Aero

On the upside, this has proven to be an excellent litmus test for which review sites are entirely in the pocket of the publishers.

So far, everyone. Nothing but 9's--a 5 out of 5 at Gamespy for god's sake. Starting a week from now, the sites that actually went out and bought it and played it are going to be posting their reviews. I'm guessing in the 65-75% range. I could see something in the 80's maybe.

News Comments > CoD: Modern Warfare 2 & Bond Game
9. Re: CoD: Modern Warfare 2 & Bond Game Dec 4, 2008, 00:10 Aero

Oh, I like the scripted spawnyness of COD4. It's very intense. Given how fun a game it is though, it's a shame that once you've spent the six hours playing through it once, there isn't really any reason to play it again. What I'd like to see is episodic content like this, three hour episodes released every four or five months for $20 each. Once the underlying engine and a solid basic foundation of art assets created, I bet a couple smallish teams could pull that off alternating four or five month releases.

As it is, I'm looking forward to it a lot, but knowing I'm going to beat it in six hours and never play it again is going to be a bit of a let down after looking forward to it for a year.

I like that Left4Dead idea though. Take the same basic principle but replace the zombies with enemy soldiers in a war ravaged middle eastern city.

756 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo