Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Beta Live
10. Re: QUAKE LIVE Beta Live Feb 24, 2009, 22:49 Aero

Looks like all of their servers fell down.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On F.E.A.R. 2 Performance
1. Re: On F.E.A.R. 2 Performance Feb 24, 2009, 02:28 Aero

Runs great over here and I'm running a pretty modest system--at least in terms of gaming PCs (e8500, 9800GTX). It's one of those ever so satisfying experiences where you just crank all of the details way up and never think about it again. If there is one thing I hate, it's having to spend my first hour with a game fiddling with detail settings to get the right balance.

FEAR2 is a good looking game. Not very fancy, and it really could have benefited from better lighting/shadowing effects, but all things considered it's a nice looking game.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Feb 23, 2009, 12:52 Aero

Just as an excuse to say one more thing about Fear2:

Screw Fear3. I want another Shogo. Failing that, another NOLF would be okay, but please Shogo. Using cell-shaded graphics, they could really make a cool cheesy-anime themed game.

That didn't really occur to me just now, but that would be awesome. Monolith is a talented company, but FEAR is just takes itself too seriously.

News Comments > NVIDIA Reference Drivers
20. Re: NVIDIA Reference Drivers Feb 23, 2009, 10:19 Aero

I like Fear2. I think the firefights are good fun largely because the AI is pretty damn impressive, though it does lack a lot of the punch of the first one without all of those bits of masonry flying everywhere and the lingering smoke.

I think the supernatural stuff is pretty weak though and I can't help but think it would be better if they thinned that out and focused more on firefights. Every time I get to one of the haunted house sections it's a little disappointing because they aren't much fun at all compared to the fighting. You just walk around looking for the exit waiting for Alma to jump out from behind a corner and say 'boo!' The first boo in the APC got me though I must admit--nearly spilled my coffee.

I never really use the lean button either in games. It's usually just a lot easier to nudge your way out a little with the strafe key. In most games with lean, the amount you lean is so pitiful that it doesn't much matter (Ravenshield is the only good one I can think of offhand). Besides, my 'q' and 'e' keys can be put to much better use. I don't have anything against it though and I can see why people would feel that it enhances the immersion.

I would like a method whereby you could be standing at the corner in cover and then pushing the aim/sights button would make you lean out a little bit and aim. This would be sort of like the way cover worked in Vietcong. The game should know that if I'm at a corner facing the wall that I want to be in cover rather than just zooming in on the wall.

News Comments > NVIDIA Reference Drivers
1. Re: NVIDIA Reference Drivers Feb 22, 2009, 13:58 Aero

These work pretty well for me. The beta fear2 drivers were a mess. Crashed all the time. These are nice.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Map Pack
16. Re: Mirror's Edge Map Pack Feb 21, 2009, 13:03 Aero

I don't really have a problem with paid extra content so long as it really is extra content. When they are holding back content that otherwise would have been released with the game, then it's ridiculous. It's just a way to sell a $50 game for $60, like advertising a car for $15,000, but the heater, an 'optional' extra, costs $2000.

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
5. Re: New ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Feb 20, 2009, 15:12 Aero

It's a sad, sad thing. Before this AMD mess, the one unquestionable stand out feature that ATI had was the quality of their software and their support. Now, it's their worst feature, so disappointing in fact that it is a serious strike against them when it comes time for me to decide which card to buy next.

News Comments > Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie
17. Re: Help Uwe Boll Make a Non-Game Movie Feb 13, 2009, 14:33 Aero

I like the man. He's definitely a nut, but a loveable nut in many respects. His shear thick-headed will is worth something.

I don't know about his movies though. I caught some of Alone in the Dark on TV and it was pretty terrible. First off, so far as I can tell it had nothing at all to do with the game. Its production value wasn't even up to the standards of a syndicated action TV show, but clearly more for lack of talent and vision than money--like an amateur movie where they just slap a set together or use a random location, shoot the scene in one go and then move on the way you'd write an essay in a high school English class--and for the love of god, it had Christian Slater in it.

They don't really qualify as camp either. Camp has some redeeming features which make them enjoyable to watch. Scene to scene they're entirely ridiculous. Alone in the Dark just took itself too seriously and most of the scenes were just boring. There wasn't anything ridiculous to enjoy simply because there wasn't anything at all. Most of it was just totally vacant filler.

If he would just give in and stop taking himself seriously the way that William Shatner finally did, he might be able to pull something off. I haven't seen Postal, but it's on Netflix's instant view. Maybe I'll check it out. That seems like it's more in the right direction.

News Comments > Street Fighter IV Launch Event
13. Re: Street Fighter IV Launch Event Feb 12, 2009, 21:35 Aero

I'm looking forward to this one for sure. Beyond Super Street Fighter 2 I haven't played any of the SF games. Street Fighter 2 was pretty much single handidly the game that made hanging out at the arcade fun when I was a kid. If you were good, you could play for hours with only a couple dollars.

Anyways, if I had a console I would buy it for the console because you really need to play these games on a couch in front of the TV with a friend. I've never played a fighting game online, but I doubt even that is a real substitute.

Unless they somehow totally screw up the port, which is unlikely but is increasingly a worry these days, I highly suspect it will perform well on even a modest PC. The graphics look excellent and I really like the way they've kept to the animated feel while still taking advantage of the strengths of 3D, but it doesn't really seem like there is anything that fancy going on.

I'd like to hear from someone who has tried it though. I don't think my EB Games is cool enough to break the street date or anything like that--maybe if I wore a ski mask and asked in a really assertive tone of voice, but I don't have a ski mask.

10. Re: Thief review Feb 12, 2009, 14:38 Aero

Oh, I forgot to mention. It's mostly multi-platform console garbage at fault for that as per usual. 64 megs of ram on that x-box. Half as much as I had when I was playing the first Unreal with my Voodoo. What? Three years earlier?

Strike the Thief expectations though, and I would have hold the third in reasonably high regard. Same for Deus Ex really.

8. Re: Thief review Feb 12, 2009, 14:26 Aero

I actually thought Thief 3 was okay too. It certainly didn't live up to the name though. It came from a time when the games that aspired to fancy graphics had to give up larger, more active environments for the graphics quality, and it seemed to hurt a lot of games. Deus Ex 2, was probably the worst example.

2. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2009, 07:22 Aero

Maybe a half million people will go out and buy the Theif games today after work and they'll be encouraged to pull the team back together and make a fourth.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 14:28 Aero

Hm. Between 40% and 90% on Gamerankings, Videogamer saying it's excellent. That's a pretty big gap. I noticed it's the print magazines that are the hardest on it. Maybe they didn't pay for enough hookers.  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Wasn't the... Feb 10, 2009, 01:10 Aero

Isn't the Marine character in COD4 black? Not that one ultra-stereotype guy, but the character you play.

Anyways... Innovative social behaviors? Are they kidding? In video games?

News Comments > Sunday Previews
1. Re: Sunday Previews Feb 8, 2009, 10:53 Aero

That first person view flying the airplane in BF1943 actually looks pretty damn cool. The island looks a little too small for planes though. It's probably about the same as it was in BF1942, but that was a long time ago. I suppose that's for the 24 player limit. C'mon, at least give us 32. Meh, we'll see.  

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Hardcore Mode Plans
3. Re: Far Cry 2 Hardcore Mode Plans Feb 6, 2009, 22:56 Aero

I've come to enjoy the single player aspect of Far Cry 2. The trick is to play one mission at a time and then quit and come back later. When it comes down to it, the actual firefights/sneaking/sniping and planning missions is good fun, it's just that traveling between missions and fighting the same guards over and over again is very tedious and gets tiresome when you do it over and over again in one sitting, not to mention the fact that the missions are all pretty similar.

However, one mission at a time, just taking out the one guard post in between and maybe sneaking past a checkpoint, choosing how you're going to approach it and then completing the mission and getting out again, I find very enjoyable. The only problem is the next mission is going to be mostly the same so it gets boring.

I've been loading it up once or twice a week for maybe a half-hour or fourty-five minutes at a time, and it's just the right dosage.

News Comments > Evochron Legends & Demo
8. Re: Evochron Legends & Demo Feb 6, 2009, 08:37 Aero

My only question is, is there an active multiplayer community? Or is this the kind of game where you have to bring friends along with you. I'll probably end up buying it either way I'm just curious

Yeah, go over to the forums on their web page and have a look. Most of the people who are around there play online. I never got around to trying it with Renegades myself, but I understand it works similarly to Freelancer where it's basically the single player game but your friends can show up. There are clans and such in a perpetual state of war.

News Comments > Ghostbusters Movie
1. Re: Ghostbusters Movie Feb 5, 2009, 21:01 Aero

I'm a little worried that this is being built up to being more than it is. I'm really excited for it, mainly for the characters/story, but it does look like a relatively standard third-person affair.

No matter how good the rest is, if the game play itself is boring, it's going to be a let down. This would probably be a renter if I owned a console.

News Comments > Evochron Legends & Demo
6. Re: Evochron Legends & Demo Feb 5, 2009, 20:33 Aero

It looks like a very nice improvement, particularly in the graphics from the look of the screenshots, which weren't at all bad before, so this is a definite buy for me. I'm stoked.

I'd be interested to know what exactly has changed with the shipyard. A feature I would have liked was for the visual changes to the ships to have an effect on their physical characteristics--ie. a larger ship holds more cargo but also has a greater mass. In Renegades you can scale your ship to whatever size you want visually but it doesn't effect its actual capabilities. The one thing that always bothered me a little about Renegades was that though there definitely was some leeway, in the end the ships all pretty much seemed to be combat vessels and I would like to try a more commerce oriented ship like a freighter.

I can't help it. I've wanted to be Han Solo since as long as I can remember.

The new mass properties, particularly the bit about cargo effecting handling, sounds especially cool.

News Comments > Battlefield Heroes by April
10. Re: Battlefield Heroes by April Feb 4, 2009, 17:38 Aero

I would like to see a Battlefield game that includes different eras. WW2, Korea, Vietnam, modern, future. Any number of possibilities. I think that would be an excellent way to go.  

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo