Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Syberia 3 PC No Joke
8. Re: Syberia 3 PC No Joke Apr 17, 2009, 15:46 Aero

That's why there are very, very few niche titles for the systems. No simulators, no realistic strategy games, or anything that, even if it's an excellent game, but will nevertheless only sell 10,000 copies. That and expensive development kits. You'd never see games like DCS: Black Shark, Evochron, Sins of a Solar Empire, or serious racing simulators.

It's my biggest objection to consoles. They're making token efforts with Xbox Live Arcade etc., but it hardly counts. That's the beauty of PC games. All you need is a good idea, some talent, and some development tools of which there are many free open-source types.

It's probably the single biggest reason that most console games are lowest common denominator efforts. It isn't just that there is more money to be made making brain dead console games.

It's bullshit, but it isn't going to change. That's where the console makers earn most of their money.

I don't know if this figure is true or not, but I've heard that something like $20 of every sale goes to the console manufacturer.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2009, 15:49.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BF Heroes Opens This Summer
1. Re: BF Heroes Opens This Summer Apr 17, 2009, 11:17 Aero

Are they going to release any new maps or anything? It took me about six hours to become pretty sick of the three it has. They're decent enough maps but because the gameplay is so simple it gets very routine very quickly. I was having a pretty good time the first hour or so though, so there is some promise in there.

The firefights pretty much consist of two people standing still and shooting at each other until one or the other dies. That was sort of disappointing to discover. It's a lot more effective to just crouch in one place and shoot at the other guy if he's bunny hopping and circle-strafing around. You'll land a lot more hits than he does. This isn't always the case, sometimes you do have to employ a little skill. This might change when they put you on the more skilled servers. I probably didn't play enough to get that high.

Not being able to switch teams mid-game is terrible too. It was very common to be on a server with ten guys on one team and three on the other and this would persist round after round.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2009, 11:18.

News Comments > Borderlands Screenshot
3. Re: Borderlands Screenshot Apr 16, 2009, 21:41 Aero

That whole uncanny valley thing really kicks in when they try to go for realistic looking people. Better to go stylized. It looks pretty slick.

Looks cel-shaded to me.

Speaking of, let's have another XIII.

edit:

I had to go look up cel-shading to be sure, and I guess maybe it isn't cel-shaded. Dunno though. I would say it is sort of cel-shaded. It has the outlines and stuff as though it were a drawing. Clearly they're going for the comic-book thing, but more like the cover than the actual pages.

Anyways, it looks cool, and that's the important thing.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2009, 21:47.

News Comments > Quantum of Solace Patch
2. Re: Quantum of Solace Patch Apr 15, 2009, 23:02 Aero

Is this one good enough for a bargain bin pickup to piss away a Sunday afternoon?  

News Comments > Assault on Dark Athena Patch
8. Re: Assault on Dark Athena Patch Apr 15, 2009, 18:50 Aero

The Athena campaign is actually as long as most single player games are these days. What drags it down IMO, is that the "re-mastered" Butcher Bay campaign isn't all that re-mastered. The lighting and such are definitely improved but I still feel like I'm playing a four year old game. It actually sort of feels like they re-used some assets from BB to make Dark Athena and I was rather hoping for the opposite. To top this off, the performance, while still perfectly fine on a modest computer, doesn't seem as good as it should be considering the very average graphics. I'm getting framerates in the mid 40's but from how it looks it seems I ought to easily be getting 60+ fps.

That said, I rarely feel as though I get my $50 worth from most single player games.

All told though, it's a solid game. Anyone who is on the fence is probably better off waiting until the price comes down. I'm happy with it though. It's still as fun as the original and that's not half bad.

News Comments > Six Days in Fallujah Announcement
10. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Announcement Apr 14, 2009, 16:43 Aero

I'm of the opinion that if it's okay in a movie or in a book it ought to be okay in a video game provided it's done with tact and respect. In most war games the enemies are pure evil and the protagonists are entirely good. You shoot the 'bad guys' and they drop dead like in an old western and then their bodies vanish to save polygons. What's wrong with input from the other side? Is a one-sided perspective better for some reason? I'd certainly argue the opposite. Input from the civilians who lived in Fallujah would probably be more important though.

Are there realistic depictions of the results of violence? Are there civillians? Are your enemies all adults?

Some people will be fine with it, some people will be disgusted by it. To me, saying a video game is wrong just because it represents a historical scenario seems odd while people love gunning down hundreds of enemies in COD4. I would go so far as to say a game that offered realistic depictions of death and violence and it's impact on real people is actually more responsible. You play the game and you think "this actually happened" rather than just being some far off fantasy.

One of thanatologists greatest gripes about the media is that it presents watered down depictions of death. That is what desensitizes people to violence. By presenting realistic depictions it actually has the ability to do the opposite.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 13, 2009, 14:18 Aero

Just imagine the DRM.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Apr 12, 2009, 23:22 Aero

Nah, it's alright in that respect. It's the same as Butcher Bay except that they got rid of the quick saves. That does suck though and the checkpoints can be relatively far apart when you consider how long it can take to position yourself for a silent kill. I've never had to repeat more than five minutes or so though, but even that can be enough sometimes to make me want to give up and come back later.

The thing that usually bugs me the most about fps console ports is the tiny field of view they use to accommodate people sitting on their couch across the room. It doesn't have this problem.

The menus are a little bit cumbersome, but at least you can use the mouse pointer. Also, there as a little more in game mouse-lag than I would like but I've seen worse.

News Comments > Airborne Rangers Cancelled
2. Re: Airborne Rangers Cancelled Apr 12, 2009, 16:05 Aero

Is this related to the old school Airborne Ranger?  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Apr 12, 2009, 13:27 Aero

[OC] is spot on about the graphics in Riddick. I had to go google around after I started because I thought I was somehow stuck in the lowest graphics settings--and this was the Dark Athena part.

Overall I still like it though. It has it where it counts.

News Comments > Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash
25. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 13:47 Aero

I understand it took several days after release until it was cracked which is pretty good for a protection really. I would consider that a good system if they were to patch it to a typical DVD check or even no DRM a few weeks after release. That way everyone who is pissed about the activations can just wait until then. Clearly the chances of that are pretty much zero. In the future if they're going to use activation, I would like them go down that route though.

Not automatically returning an activation when you uninstall it is pretty shady business. If they're going to use online activation, I'd like the Live for Speed method, a game that has been using online activation for years. You are only allowed to have three activations, including the one in use, at any one time but every Friday they add one more activation to your account so that if you've used one of your extras to reinstall, it will be replaced at the end of the week. It's a good system so far as those things go. It's easier to justify with LFS though because it is pretty much an online only game.

I have to say though, all of this stuff makes me long for a good old fashioned CD check. Annoying as it was, it pales in comparison to the complications of online activation.

There is no justification for piracy ever. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Naturally you can always buy it and just use the crack though. This is what I do for all of my older games where it's a pain in the ass to go digging around for the disk.

One more thing, and I don't know whether this is the case, but if there is online activation there damn well better not be a DVD check too like with Far Cry 2. At the very least they should give us some benefit from their wacky drm.

Steam would be fine with me.

edit:

I was thinking about it, and I bet the fact that there is no demo is somehow tied to the DRM. By providing an executable that is largely the same as the retail executable, that would probably make cracking it that much easier because the crackers could compare the two. Perhaps not (maybe the demo would need to be activated too), but if that's so, it's another reason to be irked by the DRM.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2009, 13:57.

News Comments > Stupid Fun Club Interview
1. Re: Stupid Fun Club Interview Apr 8, 2009, 20:00 Aero

How apt.  

News Comments > GTR Evolution & RACE 07 Patches
4. Re: GTR Evolution & RACE 07 Patches Apr 8, 2009, 16:59 Aero

The interesting thing about GTR Evo is that Renato Simioni who was responsible for the physics implementations in the highly respected GPC1979 and CART Factor mods for rFactor (not entirely on his own, others worked on it too, respect where it's due). SimBin hired him up and he was the primary creator for the new cars in GTR Evolution and it definitely shows. They are a big improvement on the RACE07 cars and even better than GTR2 which had a lot of low-speed grip problems. The physics implementation is actually quite good. iRacing and Netkar Pro probably have it beat, but that really is just splitting hairs in a lot of areas. GTR Evo is a fine simulation. The GT cars are a lot of fun to drive and the addition of the Nordschleife track is brilliant.

My only gripe about recommending it is that every six months or so they release a new expansion for it (everything following RACE07 is an addon to RACE07), and they sell the whole kit together for a very good price--typically $20 in the States. So if it's on the cusp of another release, it's better to wait for the full version which will include everything and probably for the same price too.

It's hard to keep track of what was released and when and what will soon be released because particularly as of late it seems like there are just a ton of expansions. You'll be happy with GTR Evo though. The expansion packs are usually very cheap and as Sblat pointed out, there are a whole lot of community made addon cars and tracks available and you won't be wanting for more for a long time. (check out http://www.nogripracing.com ).

It's a good sim. Not my favorite (I like iRacing but it's too expensive for a first foray into sim-racing), but I still like Evo a lot. In terms of realism it really is quite good. It's not intentionally cut down in the realism department like Gran Tourismo or Forza, so it really comes down to which developers are better at making a realistic simulation. In reality, they're all a lot more similar than they are different.

Read my review: http://www.autosimsport.net ...volume 4 issue 5 (I think).

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Still Broken
12. Re: Far Cry 2 Still Broken Apr 8, 2009, 12:08 Aero

I only experienced bug where everything was closed (no missions, no buildings to go into), which was highly annoying but did only happen the one time so far as I remember.

It's a very good engine though. The day/night cycle, the weather, fire and the optimization are all quite good. I hope to see it licensed to some third party who want to make a similar game with a more detailed, living environment. I can think of a lot of things the engine would be good for, say, a realistic game along the lines of the original Ghost Recon but with complete infiltration/exfiltration scenarios.

In my mind, Far Cry 2 will probably be remembered for a long time as the game with the most wasted potential.

News Comments > Six Days in Fallujah Revealed
7. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Revealed Apr 6, 2009, 12:00 Aero

Hm. That's a tough one. I don't think waiting until it has blown over really makes much difference. The point made about making it fun is a a good one, but I'm not necessarily opposed to that. Supposedly realistic war movies, which nobody has a problem with, still have to be entertaining or nobody would go to see them. The point is to be immersed in a harrowing scenario and that can be entertaining without losing the realism.

If video games are to be taken seriously as an art form, something that I question in terms of just narrative alone, then this wouldn't be any different from a movie or a book and those are considered perfectly acceptable. You could definitely argue that a game could have an even greater impact by making players actually face a nasty situation.

I dunno. I'm not opposed to it on a moral or taste level at all, but I have my doubts that it will turn out good.

News Comments > FileFront Lives?
14. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 23:51 Aero

Well that's kind of the point. If I can click a link, "save as/open" and then download at my full connection speed then the basic Firefox download manager is plenty. I've never had a broken on incomplete download from them and segmenting wouldn't help. It's very simple, all in one place, and well organized. So there isn't any need for 3rd party programs. It's the ideal situation really.

This is just for your standard downloading though of course, which is all I do--patches, mods, that sort of thing--rarely more than a couple hundred megabytes.

4. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 21:06 Aero

Even if Filefront choked their downloads 50%, it would still be faster for me than most of the other sites. Filefront always transfers at about 90% of my connection speed, which is about as good as it gets for random downloads. Besides, their whole setup and interface is vastly superior to the competition. I'd still be perfectly happy to use it in the 300KB/s range.

If they could save money that way, it would be entirely worth it IMO if it meant saving the site.

2. Re: FileFront Lives? Apr 1, 2009, 20:58 Aero

I was wondering about that. I needed to download a few patches yesterday and the Filefront links still worked. This made me happy. Almost all of the other file hosts are such a pain in the ass.

Might not mean anything though. Might just be taking their time closing shop, but I hope they manage somehow.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Postmortem
6. Re: Far Cry 2 Postmortem Mar 30, 2009, 19:30 Aero

Personally, I wouldn't call it the worst game from last year. Rather, I'd call it the 'worst game that was at least good enough to play halfway through.' The frustration with how it could so easily have been awesome was a killer.

Even just a few things would have made it pretty good: make guard posts take longer to respawn; have the merc npcs who give you the side missions also offer to give you a ride to the waypoint if you want it; maybe even a fast travel system (many more bus stops). A few other additions here and there--more stuff to make exploring the jungle worthwhile for one thing like the possibilities of large stashes of diamonds instead of just one or two. Trekking across the jungle to a waypoint was cool for exactly one mission. And, for the love of god, some neutral or even friendly npc's scattered around so it didn't just play like one big Doom level--a reputation system would have been nice. When it comes down to it, a lot of these aren't really huge changes.

I still like it in small doses though. I play until I complete a mission and have to travel across the map again, and then I quit and come back a couple weeks later. I'll probably finish it by the time a sequel comes out.

The worst game of the year is probably Barbie's Horse Adventure 4 or something like that.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2009, 19:32.

News Comments > Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched
7. Re: Company of Heroes & Opposing Fronts Patched Mar 30, 2009, 19:14 Aero

Six months ago or so I reinstalled my retail COH to give it another go and the entire patching process probably ended up taking at least two hours. Not only were there a gig+ of patches, but I had to install them all one after the other. It was also hard to find them all. If I remember correctly there were something like five of them that all had to be downloaded and installed separately in the correct order.

I'm never going to do it again, and it's a shame because I probably otherwise would reinstall occasionally when I get an itch for a WW2 RTS on some random weekend. It is a good one after all. Lots of explosions and stuff.

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo