Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 713 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Legends of Zork not an MMORPG
2. Re: Legends of Zork not an MMORPG Mar 10, 2009, 13:28 Aero

That depends. The original games were all text based adventure games (similar to MUD's), so they'd be a little hard to swallow these days. I actually had a giant floppy version of the first one when I was a kid, I forget which size, but much bigger than 5.25's, but it was a relic at that point--I'm not that old.

Return to Zork had graphics, kind of pointy and clicky like Myst or The 7th Guest, and was likewise near the beginning of the whole FMV thing, and lord knows that was sort of a dark time in computer gaming history. It was okay though I guess, at least I thought so at the time.

There were others following, I've never played any of those.

I imagine they're all going to feel pretty dated no matter which you play. They were definitely cool in their way though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > H.A.W.X Interview
6. Re: H.A.W.X Interview Mar 6, 2009, 08:52 Aero

What does that quote mean? What's the difference between 'expert mode' and 'assistance off?'

I haven't tried the demo, but I was looking forward to a Strike Commander-esque flight action game. This whole thing about forcing a 'cinematic' view in what is supposedly the most realistic flight model is totally backward. What's wrong with a padlock view if we need to see enemies and missiles, or at least a no-cockpit first person padlock view?

I was going to try the demo this weekend, but from what I've heard, it sounds like it isn't even worth the bandwidth. I would get no joy at all playing from a 'cinematic' view. The only hope would be if the easy flight mode is still enjoyable enough. I don't want a sim necessarily, but I want it to at least feel more or less like I'm flying an airplane.

News Comments > Rumored DX3 Shots
3. Re: Rumored DX3 Shots Mar 3, 2009, 23:29 Aero

If they make a decent sized world, this could be okay. DX2 would have been okay but for that it felt as though it took place entirely on one block, if not one building.

There is so much potential for an amazing game here though that the disappointment if it turns out like DX2 would be too much to bare.

I'm going with Tuddies on this one. I have low to nil expectations but I would love to be proven wrong.

News Comments > JT's Bill Passes Utah House
22. Re: JT's Bill Passes Utah House Mar 3, 2009, 18:38 Aero

American film ratings aren't legal, they're just guidelines set by a private organization.

That is the problem with this law though. The government deciding what is and is not okay for anybody to play/watch/read is bad news. It's also confused because the ratings themselves, like film ratings, are set by a private organization, so it's a corporation deciding what is or is not okay, and the government enforcing it.

To avoid this, game developers could just choose not to have their games classified. Most stores now voluntarily won't sell unrated games, but if it could get them in trouble selling rated games based on their rating, you might possibly just see that happening. Unlikely, but it's a possibility, and illustrates another reason why this law is silly.

I don't disagree with the spirit of it though. I just don't think its the government's job.

News Comments > The Wheelman Movie
1. Re: The Wheelman Movie Mar 3, 2009, 18:22 Aero

That looks pretty disappointing IMO. I can see how it might be fun, maybe, but way too linear for an urban driving game--one big, really wide road with no side streets right through the middle of the city. It looks like it would get old. It probably would have made a really cool arcade game ten years ago though, so maybe that will be its charm.

The on-foot combat looked like a pretty weak incarnation of a third person shooter too.

Who knows though. I've only seen a few videos, they may find some ways to change it up yet. Given how impressive Riddick is, it's surprising such a mediocre looking game has his name on it.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2009, 18:23.

News Comments > TF2 Cheats Disciplined
42. Re: TF2 Cheats Disciplined Feb 27, 2009, 18:32 Aero

I only bought TF2 yesterday so I don't really give a damn about achievements yet as I still can't use the default weapons for shit, but I think the rampant attempts to circumvent the achievement system is enough to suggest something isn't right.

Perhaps you will always just get that sort of thing, but to my mind, achievements should be things that encourage players to play the game as they normally would, supporting their teammates, but with more skill. It ought to be along the lines of 'steal the enemies intel X many times in Y many minutes'--something you would otherwise be doing anyways, but with the encouragement to try yet harder.

If the achievements are so ridiculously laid out that you have to abandon the spirit of the game and your teammates solely to earn some far flung achievement for yourself, it's probably just as well that people are using achievement servers or cheat apps instead of mussing up proper servers with their antics.

As has been mentioned before, make the achievements more along the lines of military decorations--something that you can flaunt that demonstrates your skill, not an entirely new gameplay element. The weapons they just ought to give you.

All the same, the third party app is definitely cheating, regardless of whether or not it gives players an advantage. The achievement servers are cheap for sure, but IMO still within the bounds of fair play, though boring, grinding, OCD-rife, fair play of course.

The bit about the stamps is genius though.

News Comments > Terra Nova Retrospective
5. Re: Terra Nova Retrospective Feb 27, 2009, 07:18 Aero

This was an excellent game. It was pretty advanced for its time, like most of Looking Glass's games. Looking Glass is easily one of the best PC developers of all time when they were on the ball. They just had a few hiccups along the way.

It's a shame they didn't quite keep it up.

News Comments > Chronicles of Riddick Movies
1. Re: Chronicles of Riddick Movies Feb 27, 2009, 00:39 Aero

Looks pretty cool.  

News Comments > Game Release Dates Spreading?
13. Re: Game Release Dates Spreading? Feb 25, 2009, 22:20 Aero

I'd make a point of shooting for a May release. There usually isn't a glut of releases, but it also isn't an uncommon release target. Most importantly, it's when those tax returns show up. I know quite a few people right now planning on using their tax returns to buy a console. It's like free money--from a certain perspective anyways, one often held by the mid-twenties, male, typical gamer-types.  

News Comments > TF2 Scout Update
1. Re: TF2 Scout Update Feb 25, 2009, 01:29 Aero

I never did get around to buying TF2. Half price huh? I guess I might have to. They're doing a pretty impressive job of supporting and updating it.  

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Beta Live
19. Re: QUAKE LIVE Beta Live Feb 25, 2009, 01:25 Aero

Actually, it works great now. I was in the queue at 5000. Gave up, tried again a few minutes later, was in the queue at 80. Then it only took a minute or so, downloaded the thing, had to re-queue, this time at 60, and was in the trial right away. Good stuff actually.

Now the only problem is that I can't even imagine how I used to play Q3. I used to be able to be able to land almost every plasma bolt on a target while flying through the air across the level. Now I can barely hit a stationary target while circle strafing on a flat plane.

I guess I'm just getting old maybe. It might just be too quick for me now. Maybe tomorrow on a couple cups of coffee I'll have another go. Maybe just need some practice... I don't remember that zoom thing though. Is that new?

16. Re: QUAKE LIVE Beta Live Feb 25, 2009, 00:20 Aero

Is it always going to be like this or what? Am I going to have to spend fifteen minutes in the 'queue' whenever I want to play? That almost defeats the purpose of the whole thing. I thought the point of these web based jobs was that it's easy to just jump in and play whenever you have twenty minutes free.

I suppose it just opened though. It will probably calm down.

upd: So far it's taking about 10 minutes per thousand slots. I ought to be in in an hour then. Have mercy. I'm a patient man though.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2009, 00:29.

News Comments > John Carmack Interview
5. Re: John Carmack Interview Feb 24, 2009, 23:04 Aero

A combination of Doom3 and Left 4 Dead in terms of their play styles sounds okay.

L4D-style nonstop action gameplay + Mars + Doom Demons + A more fleshed out single-player experience (the Doom 3 story/setting would have been fine) = What Doom3 should have been in the first place.

That was the one thing that really struck me about Left 4 Dead. It had a really 'classic' shooter kind of feeling to it. If you stripped away all of the graphics and effects, the game would still be a lot of fun. Doom 3 without the graphics would be pointless.

On console games, I agree with swaaye. I don't need any improvements to the actual game itself in a PC port necessarily, though that is always a plus, I just want the interface to suit the PC. Big fonts, keyboard only menus, and controls poorly configured for a mouse+keybord are really inexcusable.

10. Re: QUAKE LIVE Beta Live Feb 24, 2009, 22:49 Aero

Looks like all of their servers fell down.  

News Comments > On F.E.A.R. 2 Performance
1. Re: On F.E.A.R. 2 Performance Feb 24, 2009, 02:28 Aero

Runs great over here and I'm running a pretty modest system--at least in terms of gaming PCs (e8500, 9800GTX). It's one of those ever so satisfying experiences where you just crank all of the details way up and never think about it again. If there is one thing I hate, it's having to spend my first hour with a game fiddling with detail settings to get the right balance.

FEAR2 is a good looking game. Not very fancy, and it really could have benefited from better lighting/shadowing effects, but all things considered it's a nice looking game.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Feb 23, 2009, 12:52 Aero

Just as an excuse to say one more thing about Fear2:

Screw Fear3. I want another Shogo. Failing that, another NOLF would be okay, but please Shogo. Using cell-shaded graphics, they could really make a cool cheesy-anime themed game.

That didn't really occur to me just now, but that would be awesome. Monolith is a talented company, but FEAR is just takes itself too seriously.

News Comments > NVIDIA Reference Drivers
20. Re: NVIDIA Reference Drivers Feb 23, 2009, 10:19 Aero

I like Fear2. I think the firefights are good fun largely because the AI is pretty damn impressive, though it does lack a lot of the punch of the first one without all of those bits of masonry flying everywhere and the lingering smoke.

I think the supernatural stuff is pretty weak though and I can't help but think it would be better if they thinned that out and focused more on firefights. Every time I get to one of the haunted house sections it's a little disappointing because they aren't much fun at all compared to the fighting. You just walk around looking for the exit waiting for Alma to jump out from behind a corner and say 'boo!' The first boo in the APC got me though I must admit--nearly spilled my coffee.

I never really use the lean button either in games. It's usually just a lot easier to nudge your way out a little with the strafe key. In most games with lean, the amount you lean is so pitiful that it doesn't much matter (Ravenshield is the only good one I can think of offhand). Besides, my 'q' and 'e' keys can be put to much better use. I don't have anything against it though and I can see why people would feel that it enhances the immersion.

I would like a method whereby you could be standing at the corner in cover and then pushing the aim/sights button would make you lean out a little bit and aim. This would be sort of like the way cover worked in Vietcong. The game should know that if I'm at a corner facing the wall that I want to be in cover rather than just zooming in on the wall.

News Comments > NVIDIA Reference Drivers
1. Re: NVIDIA Reference Drivers Feb 22, 2009, 13:58 Aero

These work pretty well for me. The beta fear2 drivers were a mess. Crashed all the time. These are nice.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Map Pack
16. Re: Mirror's Edge Map Pack Feb 21, 2009, 13:03 Aero

I don't really have a problem with paid extra content so long as it really is extra content. When they are holding back content that otherwise would have been released with the game, then it's ridiculous. It's just a way to sell a $50 game for $60, like advertising a car for $15,000, but the heater, an 'optional' extra, costs $2000.

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
5. Re: New ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Feb 20, 2009, 15:12 Aero

It's a sad, sad thing. Before this AMD mess, the one unquestionable stand out feature that ATI had was the quality of their software and their support. Now, it's their worst feature, so disappointing in fact that it is a serious strike against them when it comes time for me to decide which card to buy next.

713 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo