Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 758 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Screenshots
5. Re: Sunday Screenshots May 24, 2009, 16:09 Aero

Well maybe they explain the regenerating health well. I bet the found the Holy Grail from Indiana Jones and pour it on the wound just like Sean Connery almost died but came back after they poured the water on him.

You must be thinking of the canteens in the Medal of Honor games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Sunday Screenshots May 24, 2009, 14:07 Aero

The Flashpoint screenshots definitely do have the smell of arcade-game about them. We'll see, can't really judge from just screenshots. Can't judge from the hype either though.

Pripyat looks good. More of the same, but there isn't anything wrong with that. It was really the AI and stuff that needed fixing. Actually, I'd prefer they didn't make any drastic graphics improvements to the engine and just focused on bug squashing.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 23, 2009, 00:14 Aero

Flatout would probably be worth $3 for someone who has never played it before. TOCA3 is worthless.  

News Comments > Delta Force: Xtreme 2 Demo - Updated
12. Re: Delta Force: Xtreme 2 Demo May 22, 2009, 16:43 Aero

Anyone know what's up with Angel Falls?  

News Comments > New TF2 Sniper/Spy Update
4. Re: New TF2 Sniper/Spy Update May 20, 2009, 23:26 Aero

They ought to make it so that you have to be looking through your scope to "charge" it. Sound effects would be good.  

News Comments > PC Terminator Salvation Recalled
1. Re: PC Terminator Salvation Recalled May 20, 2009, 16:50 Aero

Didn't bother, you know, actually trying it before shipping it out, huh?

When is the movie coming out again? Sweatdrop

News Comments > Terminator Salvation Ships, Install Problems
1. Re: Terminator Salvation Ships, Install Problems May 19, 2009, 20:51 Aero

Hm. I've heard murmurings that some people expect this to be good. I wouldn't bet on that myself for sure, but I'll be interested to see how it is received. Given the setting, it certainly has the potential to be good.

Bugs aren't surprising. When is the movie coming out again?

edit: Nevermind, a little googling answered my question. It's a pity, really.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2009, 20:54.

News Comments > Spore Galactic Adventures & Robot Chicken
2. Re: Spore Galactic Adventures & Robot Chicken May 19, 2009, 16:14 Aero

Robot Chicken + Spore, huh. Okay then.

I'm glad they finally owned up to Spore being sick though. The Robot Chicken guys will probably come up with all sorts of new and interesting ways to make penis monsters.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Site, Specs
11. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Site May 19, 2009, 13:31 Aero

I ran Stalker SOC very well on an Athlon 2800 and a Radeon 9800. Probably near 60fps with high settings. Naturally, this was using the DX8 renderer, which still looks pretty good all things considered.

Didn't try that machine with CS of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty similar. Might need more RAM, but all of the improvements to the graphics engine were just extra rendering features in the DX9 and DX10 modes.

News Comments > ARMA II Next Month
15. Re: ARMA II Next Month May 18, 2009, 15:48 Aero

Since it is an extension of the ArmA engine, they likely have a lot of bugs worked out already and it is unlikely to be as bad as ArmA was.

Still, I'd expect a lot of scripting errors and poor design decisions in the campaign. In ArmA I had to play the first mission three times--including the long, long unskipable introduction--before I managed to actually get out of the Humvee before someone shot me in the face.

1. Re: Sunday Screenshots May 17, 2009, 16:06 Aero

This one is most likely going to better than a lot of people might expect. Excellent pedigree. It has easily some of the best physics developers--Doug Aurno and Eero Piitulainen--from a more serious genre and an exceptionally talented graphics team--namely Gustavo Olivera, whose GT Legends car models have, IMO, yet to be topped even though they're four years old. Not to discount the rest of the excellent developers involved--these are just the most common names amongst the sim-racing community.

It's probably going to give Gran Tourismo and Forza a real run for their money in terms of realism, and probably be serious competition in the PC sim-racing world.

Whether or not it will be successful is another question entirely though. Your typical Need for Speed fan might not find enough action. At it's lower difficulty settings it will probably fall into GRID's territory, which is kind of a no-man's land between sim and arcade. More importantly, at its most realistic settings a wheel will really be necessary, and fans of the more serious console sims will likely be put off by the NFS name.

I like the NFS series up to this point from an arcade racer perspective, but they're getting pretty stale as of late. I hope this can shake things up.

1. Re: Sunday Screenshots May 10, 2009, 21:47 Aero

Seems like the OFP guys have a real hard on for post processing. I hope they come to their senses a little bit. I don't want to feel like I'm fighting in an impressionist painting.

News Comments > 3D Realms Closing?
100. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 7, 2009, 17:28 Aero

I hope one of the former employees decides to write a book about the development. That would probably be an interesting read.

You would think that after it became clear that their development wasn't keeping up with technology they would have just buckled down and finished it up in a couple years like every other developer seems to be able to.

Incidentally, so far as I can recall 3D Realms was the first company to prominently use the phrase "When it's done" in regards to their release dates I believe this goes back to Duke3D, which suffered a similar though not nearly as ridiculous development cycle. Can anyone else who remembers confirm that?

News Comments > New X-Motor Racing Editor
1. Re: New X-Motor Racing Editor May 2, 2009, 13:14 Aero

Sim-racing is my primary gig, and X-Motor Racing has always been an interesting title that showed potential, but was still very rough around the edges. The ability to mod in cars and tracks could prove very fruitful though. Perhaps we'll see some good, real world tracks converted over from other sims (depending on how the editor works), or even scratch made versions. Cars could be interesting too. If there were some Formula One mods made or converted, that would go a long way toward helping its popularity along.

Incidentally, Virtual Grand Prix 3 recently released its track editor and object creator, giving it much the same abilities, and I wouldn't be surprised to see similar developments along those lines. There are already some conversions in the work, notably a car based on the DP01 Champcars (RIP).

Track/Car editors and modding support in general are the key to small developers who can't afford to license real tracks or series. rFactor is a great example where, despite its total lack of interesting content on its own, nevertheless provides the best Formula One sim currently available with its multitude of car mods and tracks.

Both X and VGP3 use interesting novel approaches to physics modeling, and it would be good to see where they go. They have the potential to be the next Live for Speed or rFactor, though they do have quite a ways to go yet.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
14. Re: STALKER: Call of Pripyat Apr 30, 2009, 18:42 Aero

I'm a little concerned that the Zone in Stalker will get stale before too long. Adding the new levels will help for sure and I'm not really concerned much about this one, but I don't know about Stalker 2 (or whatever is next). I'm still hoping they'll make Stalker 2 a true open-world game with one large continuous map. That would definitely spice it up.

I wouldn't mind seeing a semi-MMO multi-player mode with persistent characters/servers, but it would probably have to be limited to something like 200 or so players.

News Comments > ARMA II Delay
7. Re: What gun? Apr 29, 2009, 11:56 Aero

Looks like one of those M249 variants.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/ORD_M249_MK46-mod0_LMG_lg.gif

News Comments > Mr. T Games Planned
3. Re: Mr. T Games Planned Apr 27, 2009, 16:41 Aero

I'd be down with an A-Team game.

It has to be a joke though. I wonder how much Will Wright charges for the use of his name and likeness in a video game.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2009, 16:42.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 24, 2009, 02:59 Aero

Links was where it was at.

I like these cartoony sort of golf games. At least I think I do. Mario Golf on the N64 was a hell of a good time.

All I know about Pangya was that I had to keep rolling my mouse over their logo to hear the cute little "nya!" sound effect. I might check it out though. The video made it look like one of those low-rent 3D chat client things more so than an actual game. It seems to have a lot of that emo-anime thing going for it, and so is probably aimed more at middle-school kids.

Never know until you try though. I just like that sound-effect. It's cute.

News Comments > Syberia 3 PC No Joke
8. Re: Syberia 3 PC No Joke Apr 17, 2009, 15:46 Aero

That's why there are very, very few niche titles for the systems. No simulators, no realistic strategy games, or anything that, even if it's an excellent game, but will nevertheless only sell 10,000 copies. That and expensive development kits. You'd never see games like DCS: Black Shark, Evochron, Sins of a Solar Empire, or serious racing simulators.

It's my biggest objection to consoles. They're making token efforts with Xbox Live Arcade etc., but it hardly counts. That's the beauty of PC games. All you need is a good idea, some talent, and some development tools of which there are many free open-source types.

It's probably the single biggest reason that most console games are lowest common denominator efforts. It isn't just that there is more money to be made making brain dead console games.

It's bullshit, but it isn't going to change. That's where the console makers earn most of their money.

I don't know if this figure is true or not, but I've heard that something like $20 of every sale goes to the console manufacturer.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2009, 15:49.

News Comments > BF Heroes Opens This Summer
1. Re: BF Heroes Opens This Summer Apr 17, 2009, 11:17 Aero

Are they going to release any new maps or anything? It took me about six hours to become pretty sick of the three it has. They're decent enough maps but because the gameplay is so simple it gets very routine very quickly. I was having a pretty good time the first hour or so though, so there is some promise in there.

The firefights pretty much consist of two people standing still and shooting at each other until one or the other dies. That was sort of disappointing to discover. It's a lot more effective to just crouch in one place and shoot at the other guy if he's bunny hopping and circle-strafing around. You'll land a lot more hits than he does. This isn't always the case, sometimes you do have to employ a little skill. This might change when they put you on the more skilled servers. I probably didn't play enough to get that high.

Not being able to switch teams mid-game is terrible too. It was very common to be on a server with ten guys on one team and three on the other and this would persist round after round.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2009, 11:18.

758 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo