Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > State of Decay Breakdown DLC Delay?
12. Re: State of Decay Breakdown DLC Delay? Nov 29, 2013, 17:09 Aero

Basically, this seems like a good proof of concept for a bigger budget game to me. I'm probably only going to put a few hours into it, but I hope they follow it up with a more developed sequel.

A bigger game, with better graphics and more detailed game mechanics where you start as a survivor of the zombie outbreak and the ultimate endgame is to restore order/civilization to the open-world seems interesting on a lot of levels.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 12:49 Aero

Weird thing, whenever I exit Rebirth, Rage is selected in Steam for some reason. Must be a sign.

Anyways, I agree that X Rebirth will be good one day. That day is probably pretty far off though--maybe a year or so going off how long it took for X3 to be fixed (2.0).

So, the wise man waits a year and buys it for $10 when it's fixed. Despite it's obvious and sometimes infuriatingly unfished state, though, I have put 18 hours into it, most of which I enjoyed. That's more than I can say for a lot of games I've paid $40-odd for.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts
51. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 6, 2013, 04:45 Aero

They definitely lost their way after MW2. I'm not even really sure who is making what now, but even the better Treyarch games were noticeably worse than the original IW games. (I'm mostly thinking SP here for illustration, but it carries over to MP too).

The beauty of COD 1,2, MW (in particular) and MW2 (to a slightly lesser extent) was that, even though they were rigidly scripted, it was executed so brilliantly and seamlessly that it didn't matter. There was definite and legitimate genius at work behind the design. They managed to create the levels and scripting such that, though there really was only the one way I could actually go, even if I really was free to advance as I pleased, their preordained path was the one I happened to be taking anyways of my own free will. On later playthroughs the smoke and mirrors would show, but with the first experience, it seemed as though I was blazing my own path according to my own plan in a vivid, living battlefield.

I never felt like: "oh I see by the obvious level design that I'm supposed to go this way." I was just in the thick of an incredible battle and I *chose* to advance in the particular direction they had so deftly funneled me toward without even realizing I had no choice in it at all. In short, they knew what the fuck they were doing almost to the point of it being disturbing how well they could anticipate how players would behave. There's probably a doctoral thesis in there somewhere if you can figure out exactly how it works.

When I first played COD5 (Treyarch's first decent-ish one, if I'm getting my numbering right), it was a rude awakening. I kept running into invisible or knee-high barriers blocking where I wanted to go, getting turned around, or having to take myself out of character so I could logically figure out what the level designers intended me to do in order to advance. Some obvious shortcut through a bush to a better position would be inexplicably impenetrable so I'd be forced to follow a trench into an obvious ambush because that's what the plot said had to happen. Treyarch has been getting a lot better though.

The bottom line, I think, is that at this level, no ridiculously massive budget, or even such a budget accompanied by infinite patience for refinement and testing is going to make a truly great FPS game by itself. It takes the right, maybe even freak, combination of creative geniuses with genuine passion and inspiration, and that just can't readily be bought.

Meh, long story short: like other people said in much fewer words, COD is well over the hill. It will have a few more iterations in it because money buys "good enough" talent, but hopefully some young new geniuses will come along and stomp it out once and for all with something as amazing as COD 1,2 and COD4 were. I'm not even really sure why I'm putting COD 1,2 and 4 on such a pedestal. In the grander scheme, they aren't really my thing, but I can appreciate genius when I see it (gameplay-wise, okay--the plots were dumb).

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $26 Million
25. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 23:03 Aero

I suspect what they'll end up with will be pretty damn good, though probably not half as good as what many people seem to be building it up to be in their imagination (not necessarily people here at Blue's, but I've heard a lot of breathless descriptions of it as something that cannot possibly be pulled off coming from other corners of the internet--sometimes from people who have paid literally thousands into it).

I've given RSI some money to help them along (something like $60 as I recall, not going nuts), but I do get the increasing feeling that this thing is growing out of control. Roberts certainly has considerable experience in the field and is probably a good leader, but I have also seen these crowd-sourced projects become toxic exercises in groupthink in the past. I don't follow that too closely, so I can only hope Roberts stays firm to his concept.

As a counterpoint, I like what I see from Elite Dangerous' development updates. There I see clear leadership, a clear design roadmap and a solid, workable idea. It doesn't have anything like the funding of SC, but what it's trying to be is an evolution of the Elite franchise, not something totally unheard of. I gave them a similar amount of money.

I'm fairly certain Elite Dangerous is going to deliver exactly what it promises (the only question being how well it's executed). I do, however, remember the Freelancer saga all too well, and SC does sound an awful lot like what Roberts imagined Freelancer would be way back when. Of course, in the end, Freelancer turned out to be a decent game, just not what what was originally imagined. What he imagined is also, of course, a lot less far-fetched today than it was 15 years ago. I just hope he learned that lesson well. I suspect that's probably the worst case scenario for SC anyways, so that's okay: we expect this unheard of, revolutionary virtual universe, and instead we just get a damn solid game. I'm okay with that. We do need people like Roberts and their impossible dreams that might not turn out to be impossible after all.

The bottom line is: if you like space sims, it's a fine time to be alive.

News Comments > Game Reviews
11. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 11:13 Aero

Kind of a shame they can't separate the SP part from the MP part. Despite trying, I never could get into the MP part of BF3 because it was just too much effort to round up enough decent human beings to play with at any random time, even with a giant friends list.

I did like the SP part, and I hear the SP part of BF4 is better still. It's just that at 4 hours long, it's only maybe worth $20 to me at most. So, maybe if it gets that low in a sale some day I'll pick it up.

Or, better yet, stick some bots in there like earlier BF games.

News Comments > Arma 3 Campaign Release
4. Re: Arma 3 Campaign Release Oct 31, 2013, 21:19 Aero

It is pretty good from what I've tried (first couple missions). Certainly more professional and polished than their previous efforts.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag PC Trailer
1. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag PC Trailer Oct 29, 2013, 11:16 Aero

So, I haven't played an AC game in a while, and this looks a lot like a modern version Sid Meier's Pirates with some third person sneaking/combat thrown in. The sea based gameplay seems almost exactly like Pirates. That sounds like a pretty good combination to me. This might be worth checking out when the PC version comes out.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 22, 2013, 15:26 Aero

I gotta say, I do miss the days when you could go buy a computer every couple years that was straight up twice as fast as your old one. GPUs even more so for a while there.

The accountant in me likes this, of course, but the gamer wants the 20GHz single core CPU and whatever ridiculous GPU I would have if we'd been able to keep on that way. The worst part is that, for various other reasons, I still have to upgrade every three years, but it's been a long time since a new computer has really amazed me with its power.

My computer now is about two years old, and I'm not really feeling any particular need to upgrade it in the near future. Maybe the console generation changeover will push things along, but it's not really seeming like it at the moment.

News Comments > F1 2013 Classic Cars and Circuits Released
2. Re: F1 2013 Classic Cars and Circuits Released Oct 21, 2013, 15:40 Aero

theglaze wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 12:51:
While I cannot comment on the authenticity of the cars or tracks, the effort from Codemasters seems decent. Each car cockpit design is different and look great with the helmet cam. There is a significant performance difference between the cars and some are quite difficult to drive consistently. I've only raced Imola so far, and the lack of distance markers for turns makes the track that much more challenging.

It's kind of a shame they picked the post-1994 layout. It was such a great track before it was sanitized with extra chicanes and I was hoping it was going to be that variation. They would have earned a lot of points with me if they'd included the different historical variations. I'm pretty safe sitting in front of my computer after all.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Early Access Next Month
7. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Early Access Next Month Oct 18, 2013, 15:20 Aero

From the looks of things so far, it seems like the likely outcome is that at worst it's ROF in a WW2 setting with WW2 machines. IMO, that's no bad thing. At this point, ROF gets most things right. It could be better in many areas, but overall it's an excellent sim. For my money, though its bested in particular categories by other products, it's the most complete modern (as in current commercial software) combat flight sim taken as a whole.

Hopefully, the campaign and missions in BOS will scale up the battle to WW2 sizes and the system and damage simulation will scale to WW2 levels of complexity. Then it will potentially be excellent.

I do expect the usual bugs and weirdness, but since they started with the ROF engine, which is pretty mature by now, and haven't aimed way too high with their feature set like CLOD did, it seems like a reasonably safe bet.

Personally, I'm stoked for it, though a little disappointed by the choice of theater due to the air-to-air asymmetry.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Outed?
14. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 14:06 Aero

The first two or so hours of Far Cry 3 was one of the best gaming experiences I can recall. The jungle was scary, there was danger around every corner, and the glimpse of a patrol or the sound of distant gunfire would send me scrambling for a hiding place in the bushes--occasionally maybe risking a stealth attack sneaking up on the tail end of a patrol.

Pretty quickly I became Rambo though, and I just strolled with impunity about the island obliterating anything that dared cross me.

I hope they can keep that initial feeling lasting longer in a sequel. To be honest though, I can't even really think of how to pull it off. You do need to feel like a badass eventually, but maybe not an effectively invincible badass.

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced
4. Re: Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced Oct 7, 2013, 22:05 Aero

It was great. It was an open world game where the combat (ie, the meat of the actual gameplay) was fun. GTA is great and all because of how much effort they put into building a living world and interesting characters, but when it comes to the actual shooting and car chases, it's pretty poor.

With some refinements, a Sleeping Dogs sequel could be incredible.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Oct 6, 2013, 16:19 Aero

My understanding is that developers of all sorts have been falling all over themselves to be a part of Elite 4 and thus the Elite legacy and things are progressing better than they ever hoped for. Not too long ago, a personal investor doubled the kickstarter funds (still dwarfed, of course, by CR's take).

David Braben seems to be aiming to make the game I and many of the fans of the classic space-sim genre want, whereas Chris Roberts seems to be making the game he thinks the mass market wants (and kind of leaning towards "everything!"--which isn't a slight necessarily , just a little concerning). There is nothing wrong with either approach, but Elite 4 seems to be more tightly focused on the areas I'm interested in. He's also taking a harder (well, ish) science fiction tact in the design (though maybe it's pseudoscience technobable, there *is* a reason things are the way they are.

Of course, I've always been a fan of Wing Commander/Privateer/Freelancer/Elite, so I will be playing all of these (can't get enough of the genre). Nevertheless, my greatest hopes lie with Elite Dangerous, and I'm pretty confident they can pull it off.

Bottom line to me is that if they each manage to finish what they set out to do, Elite 4 is the much more interesting game IMO. The armchair strategist in me says Chris Roberts has much greater funding, but his ambitions might reach too high, whereas David Braben has much more attainable ambitions, though me could end up lacking funding to pull it off.

Sorry for the bit of the ramble. Basically, everything I've seen and read about Elite Dangerous simultaneously looks fantastic and doable, whereas Space Citizen looks all over the place, nebulous and has serious shades of the early saga of Freelancer (which turned out okay in the end, but nothing at all like the big grand scheme).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Flashback
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Flashback Oct 1, 2013, 22:45 Aero

Yeah, I was just about to buy it, did some poking around, and it seems they Mario-ized the controls and dialed back the challenge severely.

A standard "HD" remake for modern systems with new background art would have been plenty.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Flashback
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Flashback Oct 1, 2013, 21:47 Aero

I'm not sure the graphics overhaul is really doing the original game justice. Some of the character animations in the video look pretty canny whereas the original's were eerily realistic. It's been a long time, though, so I could just be remembering it a little too fondly.

Anyways, I think I'll be picking this up at some point soon.

ed: Watching it again, it looks like they've done away with the transitions in the character movement. This probably makes the controls more responsive, but that was part of the charm of Flashback and Out of This World. It was a different playstyle that required planning your moves a lot more than it did twitch reflexes. I'll still buy it, of course.

News Comments > Space Engineers Trailer; Early Access This Month
1. Re: Space Engineers Trailer; Early Access This Month Oct 1, 2013, 14:01 Aero

I don't know what to think about this one. I might be kind of excited about it, and I might not. Miner Wars had some impressive stuff going on with the game engine, but was very, very poor as an actual game.

So given that, the concept of this sort of indicates they know that and might be on the right track, but nevertheless, I still don't have any evidence they know how to make something fun to play with.

News Comments > iFruit Yields PC GTA5 Clues
14. Re: iFruit Yields PC GTA5 Clues Sep 18, 2013, 15:42 Aero

I'm not really even sure what the iFruit app is and whether or not I want it on my phone. The description is just random bullshit. What would make sense, and would be pretty cool, is if it linked to your game and performed all of the functions of your in-game smartphone on your real smartphone. I don't think it does that though.

So... gimmick, I guess. Could have been a neat little immersion enhancement.

News Comments > iFruit Yields PC GTA5 Clues
6. Re: iFruit Yields PC GTA5 Clues Sep 18, 2013, 14:31 Aero

I notice that the "manual" for the game (whatever version) is actually a PC program (an MSI file, which I haven't bothered installing). So, there is a PC version of the manual "program." Could mean anything.

Anyways, I think we're all pretty much in agreement there will be a PC version eventually regardless. There always has been, so I don't see any reason for there not to be this time.

Personally, I bought the PS3 version because meh. It's a console game. I'll play it on a console. It's one of the five games I've ever bought for it. Better graphics and framerates would be nice, but it holds its own mostly on production value. It is pretty good so far though actually (and I didn't like GTA4), so it'll probably be worth picking it up for PC when that comes out if that's your thing.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
54. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 11, 2013, 19:27 Aero

All I want is the ability to transfer a license to a game I no longer play to another Steam user. I can't play it while they're playing it, which the client could easily enforce. That should all be perfectly legal.

Very simple. When it gets there and that simple, that will be a pretty cool thing. What they're describing now is way too unclear.

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't
1. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 10:09 Aero

I read this as very good news (you know, with the usual Gearbox+Third Party caveats).  

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo