Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Need for Speed: SHIFT Drifts
15. Re: Need for Speed: SHIFT Drifts Jul 11, 2009, 21:50 Aero

It's the closest thing a console has.

I was being generous in my earlier post so as not to offend. If SMS wanted to, they could wipe the floor with Gran Tourismo. I understand that Forza is better than GT in terms of realism, but it's still a console racing game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Need for Speed: SHIFT Drifts
13. Re: Need for Speed: SHIFT Drifts Jul 11, 2009, 20:17 Aero

I think drifting is pretty silly myself. The figure skating thing is a good analogy. There are a lot of people into it though, and if that's their thing then so be it.

The thing is, for it to be worthwhile at all, Shift will have to have a pretty realistic physics simulation. Unless you have to be constantly modulating the throttle and making corrections with the wheel, there's no point.

The developers and physics programmers behind it are easily some of the best around, so they have the ability to make an excellent simulation, but my worry is that EA will be putting pressure on them to make it have a more broader arcade appeal. Obviously, the problem with that is that the both the people who like the more arcade-style games and the people who want a realistic game will probably find driving around a race track in an only superficially realistic game incredibly boring.

Asking developers who have up until now only written PC-only sim-racing games to write a console Need for Speed game is potentially mixing oil and water. Personally, I'm hoping they use all of their skill to put out a genuine racing simulator that could very easily challenge Gran Tourismo and Forza in terms of realism. If the EA suits stuff it up though, as they're so apt to do, it's going to be a huge waste and a failure.

Ian Bell, the head of SMS, has said it's by far their most realistic simulation yet, and I really hope he's not bullshitting. We can be guaranteed that the underlying code is for a very realistic simulation because they've been working on it for years--long before EA came along (10-Tacle going under left them high and dry)--so it's all going to come down to what sort of restrictions EA puts on them. It wouldn't be a conventional Need for Speed game obviously, but it would be something new and potentially excellent. In short, I'm a little nervous that one of my favorite developers has been thrown in the EA profit-only meat grinder.

News Comments > MechWarrior Movie
2. Re: MechWarrior Movie Jul 9, 2009, 20:01 Aero

Oooooh. How about that. And cockpits too.

The car bouncing on its suspension with the footfalls is a beautiful touch.

News Comments > CoH Sells Story Slots
1. Re: CoH Sells Story Slots Jul 8, 2009, 14:31 Aero

Uh, what now?

Is this as shady as it sounds? I'm not familiar with the whole CoH thing, but this hardly sounds like something that involves any cost at all on their end. Does it involve significant storage on their side or something? It seems like a pretty low way to capitalize on user-created content--basically selling the work of their userbase.

Anyways, it can't be all that bad. How does this stuff work exactly? If it is shady, I'd hate to see this turn into a trend.

News Comments > German Counter-Strike LAN Ban
8. Re: German Counter-Strike LAN Ban Jul 8, 2009, 12:29 Aero

It's not to great a leap toward not being able to have public discussions about books that the government finds objectionable based on some arbitrary criteria, say, books that might have a negative impact on the 'stability' of the government.

Creepy stuff. Hopefully it's just the reaction of the older, close-minded set to something they don't understand and as the younger population increases in size it will sort itself out. After all, how many people between the age of majority and 30 or 35 would possibly approve of such a law. These things really go beyond just a nanny state and are on the precipice of a very slippery slope. It's funny the way seemingly almost every western government is scratching their way inch by inch toward a fascist state.

News Comments > Google's OS
9. Re: Google's OS Jul 8, 2009, 11:07 Aero

Really the best thing about this is the influence, hype and visibility Google can muster that other distros could never hope to. Remember when Chrome came out? Tech pundits were having a collective orgasm.

They also have a huge amount of technical talent, but nevertheless it's difficult to imagine they could match the time and collective effort put into the more established operating systems.

Either way, it's good news. Since every other operating system is gunning for Microsoft's market share, the more big players in the game the better.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Street Fighter IV
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Street Fighter IV Jul 7, 2009, 15:09 Aero

Can't find a boxed copy at any brick and mortar in town. I'm sure in part this is to do with boxed computer games being hard to find in general, but none of the seven Best Buys in town, and (apparently) no GameStop for 100 miles has it. Maybe WalMart does, but I don't care for that place. Gamestop, at least two of the local ones, have never failed to have a computer game on release day in the past. Dark days for people who like boxes. There are always the mail-order outfits though.

Looks like Steam for me then, which is kind of a shame.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 7, 2009, 14:43 Aero

It's probably a decent trade-off. Since the big Panavision (or whatever) films are 2.4:1 or 1.85:1, you'd get substantial black bars on the sides when watching films that are 16x9, and a lot are.

Either way, you're looking at letterboxing or chopping of some sort. Because films come in all sorts of aspect ratios, you lose one way or the other. Given the option, I'd probably go a little wider though. You also have to keep television and other things in mind, where such wide aspect ratios might not be practical.

I bet there are all sorts of technical reasons too like cost of cameras, the ideal screen size for your average living room, and those sorts of things.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 7, 2009, 13:30 Aero

Regardless of whether or not the letterboxed film includes the area without the picture, if the screen only has 1080 lines it would make no difference anyways, you'd be losing vertical resolution. I couldn't tell you for sure about the actual lines in the picture, though you could surely look that up, but with DVDs the bars were not part of the image itself so it would always have the full vertical resolution regardless and the horizontal would be the same for fullscreen and widescreen but widescreen would be stretched to fill the screen like the anamorphic widescreen they use for film. It's likely it's the same with Blu-Ray.

You should look all this up if you're really intersted. This is just from memory and I could be wrong.

edit: I believe what it boils down to is that you get the same resolution in the actual picture data regardless of the area of the screen it fills (if you're not zooming and cutting out picture data on the sides, but if the screen only has 1080, you'd be losing something either way), so it depends on what the screen can draw.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2009, 13:38.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 7, 2009, 12:54 Aero

I've come across many DVD's, though always rentals (or second-hand, previously viewed jobs), that won't let you skip the previews. Disney/Pixar movies stand out.

You don't watch your movies in letterbox? I'd rather give up part of my screen that part of the film. There's nothing wrong with that though if that's the way you like it and they should let you zoom, and besides widescreen pan-and-scan isn't so bad, not nearly as bad as 4:3 pan-and-scan which absolutely wrecks films.

ed: Oh yeah, and on the topic of Blu-Ray one day it ought to be okay if it isn't made obsolete by streaming/on-demand. Though I'd rather own the actual disk, I'm sure as hell not replacing my DVD collection. I'll buy new films on Blu-Ray though, when they all cost the same as DVD's. $30 for a film? Hell no.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2009, 13:00.

News Comments > DiRT 2 Delayed for DirectX 11
27. Re: DiRT 2 Delayed for DirectX 11 Jul 6, 2009, 14:41 Aero

If it follows the historical trend, DX11 won't be practical in a genuinely useful way until at least the second generation of DX11 cards. Hopefully that won't be the case though. Hardware doesn't seem to be progressing quite in the linear fashion that it used to.

Regardless, it will be neat to see what they can do with it.

News Comments > Old School LucasArts Announcement Monday
18. Re: Old School LucasArts Announcement Monday Jul 4, 2009, 13:54 Aero

<sniffs the air>

Hmmm new Lucasarts Download Portal type site? Buy games...download...make profit.

That would be my guess too. Just a storefront to buy their old DOS games, probably only updated to run in Windows or Live Arcade or something like that.

Hopefully it's something more exciting though.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Trine [Updated]
23. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Trine Jul 2, 2009, 23:02 Aero

So, um. Hows' the game?  

News Comments > Gaikai Demonstration Movie
14. Re: Gaikai Demonstration Movie Jul 1, 2009, 22:18 Aero

Perhaps a better way to put the server size in perspective is to take Jaguar at Oak Ridge National Laboratories that is the second most powerful super-computer in the world and cost in the neighborhood of $100,000,000. It has about 40,000 or so quad-core 2.3ghz AMD Opterons, which would be a fine CPU to run the latest game. If we take that and, just to be sporting (extremely sporting), give each CPU the equivalent of an 8800, you'd be able to have 40,000 concurrent users. Clearly this is a gross over-simplification and ignores a lot of technical and logistical details, and they would probably get clever with the software implementation--virtualization and what have you--but it gives a reasonable ballpark.

How many people do you suppose are playing GTA4 or whatever is the latest thing right now? I dunno, but 40,000 would probably be a very, very conservative guess. Now how about the number of people playing all video games combined?

It's clearly a future thing, at least on a large scale.

News Comments > Gaikai Demonstration Movie
2. Re: Gaikai Demonstration Movie Jul 1, 2009, 14:28 Aero

When this sort of thing matures, the thin client approach will probably have more benefits than drawbacks. Imagine never having to spend $800 on upgrades every year or so, or dealing with compatibility and setups--even just tweaking everything and finding the optimal settings for your computer. Game technology would improve without us having to do anything and the companies could compete on what sort of hardware they have, rather than fitting their games to what we have. It would also eliminate the distinctions between different platforms.

However, and this is a really big however, what will happen to the small developers when they need a half-million dollars worth of hardware, or much, much more, or to pay to huge rent time on these sorts of setups just so that people can play their games. Maybe it will be sorted out somehow, but the above mentioned elimination of platforms might really make them aim for the lowest common denominator.

Anyways, it will be interesting. The trade offs are pretty severe either way.

edit: Oh, and I don't care for the renting/subscribing thing either. The whole price thing will probably end up really complicated, and they won't be running their servers forever so games would just disappear entirely eventually. No more playing your old favorites.

So yeah, maybe it will suck, but I'd have to see how it really works out to know for sure.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2009, 14:33.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Jun 30, 2009, 15:35 Aero

For me, I would love to see a Western game in line and open like Oblivion or Fallout, even Stalker. More survival, more serious, a lean more towards a sim such as hunting for food, fight against the land, natives, bandits, have a horse, watch animals. I know, maybe sounds gay, but the sense of accomplishment from gettig to one place or another would be better.

Gun actually had a number of those things, though not in a really productive way and not like Stalker or Fallout.

News Comments > Firefox 3.5
4. Re: Firefox 3.5 Jun 30, 2009, 12:56 Aero

Current plugin compatibility? If not, I'll stick with 3 until proper versions of NoScript and AdBlock are available.

I suppose it might be worth a try though.

ed: NM, I see they probably work.

Seems nice.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2009, 13:00.

News Comments > Street Fighter IV PC Next Week
11. Re: Street Fighter IV PC Next Week Jun 29, 2009, 21:04 Aero

Wow. Dunno how the demo passed me by, but it annihilated all of my concerns.

Fantastic port. Pegged at the refresh, vsync on, everything maxed on a relatively mid-range gaming PC (E8400, 9800GTX). Couldn't ask for any more.

Looks like the recommended specs are right on the money actually which is a rarity and highly commendable. That would probably run it no problem at a consistent 60fps with optimally high settings (any more than 8xAA is probably an overkill really) save possibly at ridiculous resolutions.

Very well done. I still doubt I will, but there's no real reason not to pre-order this one. I'm stoked.

News Comments > Street Fighter IV PC Next Week
2. Re: Street Fighter IV PC Next Week Jun 29, 2009, 14:26 Aero

Nice. Not owning a console I've been looking forward to this one for a long time. The Street Fighter games are part of my gaming DNA.

Naturally, I don't pre-order games as a rule, but this one is probably as sure a bet as they come. I just hope there aren't any stupid limitations like no AA (worryingly likely) or substandard PC optimizations. Not that it would stop me from buying it, provided it isn't unplayable (fighters require high framerates), it would just be a big disappointment. So no pre-order here, but probably a guaranteed stop at the game shop Tuesday during lunch break.

I'm stoked.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2009, 14:27.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat Film Lawsuit
2. Re: Mortal Kombat Film Lawsuit Jun 25, 2009, 20:14 Aero

Wow. Just, wow. I'm speechless.

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo