Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 759 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Sep 11, 2009, 22:55 Aero

Yeah, I thought Wolfenstein was pretty good. It wasn't ground-breaking or original in any way, but the combat was fun and the weapons were pretty cool. I could have done without the traipsing back and forth through the town and I didn't use the veil stuff all that much, only when I really had to because it wrecked the immersion with all its greenness and such.

I think maybe they strayed too far from the original Wolfenstein. Giving the player supernatural powers wasn't a good idea. Part of the charm of Wolf3D was that you were just a regular guy thrust into some creepy supernatural evilness, and like any red-blooded badass, you don't ask any questions and just pick up a chaingun and start blasting it all to hell. Doom was pretty much the same. It doesn't need much of a plot because there isn't anything to understand: You're good, they're bad, kill them.

Bottom line was that the actual gameplay part was fun, they just stuffed too much unnecessary shit in there.

If you could rent computer games, this one would be a renter. If they drop the price to $20, that would probably make me recommend picking it up. As it is, I'd say grab it later when the price plummets, which it likely will soon given hardly anyone seems to be buying it as it stands.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MechWarrior Legal Conflict
21. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 13:40 Aero

I'm surprised there are trademark disputes about this sort of thing. From my experience watching anime, most all of the robots in all of the shows look pretty damn much the same to me.

They probably won't have to remove anything. Just put some antennas on it or change the way the legs look or something. They could probably keep all of the movement mechanics and such the same and just change some of the geometry and textures in place. I'm not familiar with these particular mechs, but if the similarity from one anime to another is anything to go by, odds are they won't have to change all that much.

I much prefer the western style mechs to those Gundam and Macross things. They look much more like practical, mass-produced war machines. The Japanese ones are cool looking too but often they look awkward and entirely too flashy.

BTW: Can anyone provide pictures of the offending mechs and their counterparts?

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2009, 13:19 Aero

I could go either way on this one actually. It depends in part on how well the first person perspective is done. The good ones make you feel the mass of your character and somehow the movement feels more natural. The bad ones, of course, make you feel like you're flying a camera around.

Not so long ago I was thinking about immersion in first person shooters and I think my biggest problem is that I've grown too accustomed to them like they were pure arcade games. I don't really look at the environment, I just subconsciously note where all of the cover spots are, where enemies are likely to pop up, which directions I can go and that sort of thing--like a "level" rather than a world. Instead of looking at it as though it were a real place, I look at it as though through the eyes of the level designer. I'm not so much thinking "which way should I go?" so much as I am "which way am I supposed to go?"

I sometimes think about all of the intricate little details built into the scenery of the levels, and that most all of the time I just sprint by it without really even seeing it.

I think how cool it must be for someone who has never played a game like this and doesn't just automatically see all of the seams and smoke and mirrors. They see a house on the side of the road in COD and see it as a house, whereas I just see it as a flat bit of scenery acting as a wall to funnel me in the right direction.

News Comments > Violence and In-Game Ads
8. Re: Violence and In-Game Ads Sep 3, 2009, 17:52 Aero

Adrenaline enhances memory. I don't know if more violence equates to more adrenaline, but that's a possibility.

News Comments > Game Gun This Year
7. Re: Game Gun This Year Aug 31, 2009, 17:36 Aero

I think it might be an okay toy if it came with its own custom games specifically designed for that sort of thing. Probably simple shooting gallery sorts of games, but I don't see it being that much more fun than a $25 light gun. I doubt it would work well enough for a game designed around a mouse and keyboard.

What with the LCD and all, it probably isn't really going to be particularly cheap either, and I don't see it being much of a winner really. Maybe something like this without the screen would be cool in the future if and when we have practical VR headsets.

News Comments > BF2 Patch & Free Bonus Packs Tuesday
11. Re: BF2 Patch & Free Bonus Packs Tuesday Aug 27, 2009, 17:10 Aero

I always hate night missions in any game for the most part. The COD4 ones were okay for the most part because of the cool laser sight effects, but otherwise it's usually just like playing on a small monochrome monitor.

I did like a lot of the equipment in Special Forces though. I should probably dig all this stuff out. Great as BF2 can be, it really sucked the last time I tried it online. It definitely lives or dies by the quality of the players. Never managed myself, but I can only imagine that if you could fill both teams with friendly, serious players, it would be on the short list of best all time gaming experiences.

News Comments > Command & Conquer 4 Facts
3. Re: Command & Conquer 4 Facts Aug 25, 2009, 20:37 Aero

I kind of like that party idea. That might be cool for a lot of games actually, say team based fps for instance. Probably wouldn't work out all that well in practice though.  

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Trailer
11. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Trailer Aug 24, 2009, 22:39 Aero

Hopefully they take testing and bug squashing seriously this time. When a game is released with very serious bugs, bugs that aren't configuration specific, but that everyone gets, that's a pretty bad sign.

Still, it's a great game, so I'm all over it, but not until it's given the all clear bug wise or is patched enough to be acceptable this time. The first time playing through a game is the most important and enjoyable, but having that first experience marred by show stopping bugs, crashes (Clear Sky gave me the only BSOD's I've had in at least five years), and too much time tweaking and problem solving is something I won't deal with. I'm not buying it the day it comes out as with the last two even though I knew what to expect with CS--saw it on the shelf and couldn't resist.

It will be hard to resist, but the experience will be much better for it. When I was frustrated with playing CS a week or two after its release and loaded up Crysis (of all things), I was surprised by how strikingly different playing a stable game was. It had come to the point where I had to actually change my playing style, not even just the constant saving (quicksaves being untrustworthy), but things like not running across a map too fast because that could cause the game to crash, and just the general relief of not having the constant worry about crashes nagging at the back of my mind while I played. It was truly like a breath of fresh air. I had a relatively good experience with it compared with many people on their forums too.

I'd rather see no engine improvements like better graphics and such, but just bug fixes and cleaning up since CS. After all, aside from the bugs, X-Ray is a pretty good engine as it is. Very pretty. Maybe I'd like to see the draw distance of the shrubs lengthened because that pop up looked pretty ridiculous sometimes with the dark shrubs on light terrain--hills would be light tan in the distance, but totally covered in dark brown grass when you got there. That could be pretty easily solved by just matching the two properly. It seemed like it might be better from the video. Couldn't really tell.

They're good games though, very good games. That's the real reason why its so frustrating. Good enough to deal with more bugs than usual, but only to a point.

News Comments > Mini Ninjas Demo
6. Re: Mini Ninjas Demo Aug 19, 2009, 14:37 Aero

Exactly.  

News Comments > Mini Ninjas Demo
4. Re: Mini Ninjas Demo Aug 19, 2009, 14:28 Aero

Well, it's cute anyways. It is mostly a kiddy action game, but I was having some fun with it. It's pretty much exactly what you would expect from the screenshots and videos.

I like the style of it and I suspect the gameplay is a little deeper than I would have really figured out in the twenty minutes I spent playing with it--I didn't mess around all that much with the special powers and stuff. I'm interested enough so that I'll probably finish the demo tonight.

Anyways, if you think you might be intersted in it, it's probably worth the 700 megabyte download to try it. I'm not an expert in these sorts of games, but it seems to me as though it is decent for what it is.

News Comments > On Modern Warfare 2 Pricing
5. Re: On Modern Warfare 2 Pricing Aug 18, 2009, 21:54 Aero

I'd hate to see this start a trend.

Then again, the price of computer games has changed very little over the years. If I recall correctly, I paid $42 for X-Wing mail order from Chips & Bits some sixteen years ago. According to a CPI inflation calculator thingy I googled, that works out to $62.50 today.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it. Maybe it was more like $36. It was one or the other anyways. Of course, it's also worth mentioning that I (almost) remember what I paid for X-Wing sixteen years ago, and now when I come to think about it, I'm not really sure how much I paid for COD4 not much more than a year ago.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2009, 22:01.

News Comments > RAGE Interviews
2. Re: prayer Aug 15, 2009, 14:37 Aero

Looks like it would fit Bethesda's open world RPG's too.

Certainly Fallout anyways.

News Comments > Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Coming?
7. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Coming? Aug 14, 2009, 13:49 Aero

I think they're pretty cool, but won't really come into their own until they can make a physics processor a minimum system requirement--and that probably won't happen until there is a good standard for gaming applications (DirectX 11?). Until then, we'll only get some nice on/off eye-candy, but nothing that is very integrated with the gameplay, and things that could not be done at all on typical CPU. So PhysX can never be used in a way, though I'm sure nVidia would love it, that makes it a necessity.

I was thinking, if it allows asymmetrical setups, you could buy something like an 8600 for $30 or a 9800GT for $90 to be used solely for PhysX stuff as though it were a PhysX (or whatever) add-in card. I'm not what sort of card you could do well with if all it would be doing was PhysX.

News Comments > LucasArts VC Games
9. Re: LucasArts VC Games Aug 10, 2009, 14:03 Aero

Aside from that, the SNES Star Wars games blew.

Woah... hold on. You really thought so? I thought the Super Star Wars games were excellent and so did people in general at the time. They were all very highly rated.

I don't know that I'd really want to play them again now though. They had good graphics, solid gameplay, but were otherwise pedestrian like, say, COD4 now--very good, but won't be remembered as ground-breaking or anything but just a good implementation of a standard formula.

News Comments > Mini Ninjas Trailer
1. Re: Mini Ninjas Trailer Aug 6, 2009, 20:13 Aero

Looks cute.  

News Comments > X-Wing, TIE Fighter Teases
23. Re: X-Wing, Tie Fighter Teases Aug 4, 2009, 14:39 Aero

Exciting news. Space combat games really lend themselves to good graphics because it's mostly static objects moving around, no ground to worry about like flight sims, and most all of the time the other ships are far enough away to use simple LOD models at range.

I'd be willing to bet that they could recreate the space battle at the end of Return of the Jedi near perfectly. X-Wing and Tie Fighter's (specifically TF) greatest strength was their ability to have lots of ships and constant action all around you. Even with highly detailed models they could probably do fifty times as many ships these days. Add some fancy DX9/10 effects and it would be pure heaven

Please don't just be a DOX-Box re-release of X-Wing and Tie Fighter. That would be a huge disappointment. If they would update it enough to at least support higher resolutions, but still use the same graphics otherwise (maybe the XWA engine/graphics), I'd probably buy it, but I'd still be disappointed.

News Comments > Serious Sam 3 Gets Serious Graphics
3. Re: Serious Sam 3 Gets Serious Graphics Jul 21, 2009, 11:52 Aero

Yeah, I guess I could really go both ways on that. I'd say the first was cartoony. Not in a cel shaded kind of way, but it had really bright colors, and just sort of a cartoony feel to it. I thought it went well with the whole over-the-top theme.

I don't know that I would want a cel shaded look, but a dark 'gritty' look doesn't sound appealing either.

News Comments > Serious Sam 3 Gets Serious Graphics
1. Re: Serious Sam 3 Gets Serious Graphics Jul 21, 2009, 11:41 Aero

I'm really not sure that this is a good thing. I guess I'd have to see it.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2009, 19:06 Aero

For you daughter's computer I suppose.  

News Comments > Need for Speed: SHIFT Drifts
15. Re: Need for Speed: SHIFT Drifts Jul 11, 2009, 21:50 Aero

It's the closest thing a console has.

I was being generous in my earlier post so as not to offend. If SMS wanted to, they could wipe the floor with Gran Tourismo. I understand that Forza is better than GT in terms of realism, but it's still a console racing game.

759 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo