Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 772 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA Mafia II Offer
11. Re: NVIDIA Mafia II Offer Aug 27, 2010, 18:45 Aero

Yeah, well, I'm enjoying it. And in all fairness my system is having trouble running it - I had to remove a number of APEX files to make it playable - but it now runs okay with the occasional few seconds pause. So long as I'm not holding down a key the pause passes fairly quickly

I've found that the performance degrades severely after a couple hours of playing. Likely a memory leak or similar flaw. A number of other people have reported the same behavior on their forums. Restarting clears it up. Annoying and hopefully sorted with a patch, but for the time being, it's just serving to remind me that I've been playing too long.

All things considered, I get excellent performance. On a 9800GTX and E8400, I get a consistent 50-60 fps at 1920x1080 with the details on max, but without Physx and no AA. I get occasional little stutters when I'm booking it across the city, but nothing you could take offense at.

I'm really digging it too. I dunno what the deal with that 4/10 Eurogamer review is about. It made some valid points to be sure, but seems to me that someone probably just has an axe to grind for whatever reason. I'd probably give it an 8.5 myself. It's not spectacular or groundbreaking in any way, but it does what it says on the tin very well.

My biggest gripe is that it doesn't support a wheel without jumping through a lot of preposterous hoops. That's how I played the first one and it makes the driving much, MUCH more enjoyable. I don't see how or why they left that out. Though it would be nice, I don't need fancy FFB or anything, just standard generic control configuration. Maybe they'll add that in some time, though I'll probably be done with the game by then.

Other than that, the firefights and cover system work very well, and the fistfight system works well for what it is (a little too easy perhaps once you get the rhythm down, though).

The city is fantastic looking. They did a really brilliant job with that. It's by far the most impressive looking open-world city I've ever seen. Lots of character to it and nice detail. It could use a little more variety in the pedestrians though.

Anyways... the only way I could see someone being totally disappointed in it is if they were expecting it to be something it isn't trying to be.

It is a linear game. That's perfectly fine with me. It would be great in a different way if they made a sandbox game along similar lines, but that's not what this is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mafia II
87. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II Aug 24, 2010, 20:40 Aero

I don't get too worked up over piracy itself. I was a dumb kid once too, but the self righteous justification is annoying as hell. Posting about how you pirate games on a public forum just makes me think of that broke, unemployed friend from high school that comes and crashes on your couch for a week, eats all your food, smokes all your cigarettes, and then gets drunk (on your beer) and launches into some diatribe about how evil capitalism is and how he's too good to work for The Man. Nobody likes that guy, and everybody knows one.

We're right to chastise that sort. That's how we promote and pass on proper mores. If the prevailing attitude was that piracy was justified, everything would actually come crashing down like the industry doomsayers are always doomsaying.

Anyways, I'm digging the game so far. It's nothing extraordinary, but it's very solid all around (I'd say the 8-8.5 reviews nailed it). I'd probably recommend the patient sort waiting for it to drop to $30 or so. I'm willing to bet there will be a Steam sale along those lines in the coming weeks.

News Comments > Mafia II Roundtable Interview
10. Re: Mafia II Roundtable Interview Aug 23, 2010, 20:57 Aero

I'm a little disappointed by the general meh-ness of the reviews, though I'll surely buy it anyways. I'm a little confused about the "not being an open world game" thing (mind you, I haven't really been following the previews). I rather just assumed it would be the same as the first, which at least at the time, I considered to be an open world game.

It's not clear whether they mean "not open" as in there aren't any side quests or other things to do in the city, or whether it's segmented into different levels. If it's the former, I don't care. The whole running amok in a city doing random things hasn't held much interest for me since GTA3 (and the whole dating/hanging-out-with-friends thing in GTA4 put me right off that game). I would be disappointed if each mission had it's own unique limited area though (maybe... depending on how they did it). Come to think of it, I recall there being some separate levels in the first one as well for the many of the missions themselves, like when you were chasing the guy in the big yellow car on country roads. Worked reasonably well there.

I'm also wondering if the controls will be similarly configurable to the first. I played that one with a steering wheel slightly off to the side on my desk to drive with and it worked fantastically. The wheel I have now though is a much more elaborate force-feedback affair that doesn't share a desk well, so that might not work out. It would be pretty cool if it had proper physics-based steering wheel force feedback though.

Anyways... I'm just musing as I decide whether to buy it now or wait for it to come down in price. Odds are if I'm taking the time to post something like this, I probably will just buy it tomorrow regardless.

edit: NM, screw it. I bought it. Why not. First time I've ever pre-ordered anything via Steam. Hopefully it will just automatically download tonight while I sleep. Presuming it's released at midnight.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2010, 21:19.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Space Combat Trailer
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Space Combat Trailer Aug 18, 2010, 18:43 Aero

Well... that only goes to illustrate how incredibly kickass a genuine X-Wing style Star Wars game *could* be.  

News Comments > Rumor: The Old Republic Space Combat on Rails?
21. Re: Rumor: The Old Republic Space Combat on Rails? Aug 8, 2010, 23:10 Aero

I find this a little tough to swallow. I can see it being simplified in many ways, but I really can't envision them going down the rail shooter route. I hope not anyways. These days, that sort of approach is well below the bottom of the barrel.

If it does turn out to be just manning turrets on larger ships, that's a disappointment for sure and shows the space portion is more of a tacked-on minigame, but at least it isn't ridiculous as it would be with fighters.

I think something WASD+Mouse like Freelancer would probably be ideal. It's straightforward, anyone who has played an FPS can figure it out, and you don't need a joystick or anything. While not quite as good as a full-on space sim like X-Wing with a joystick, it checks most of the right boxes. In truth, it probably even is a more effective control scheme than a joystick, but it does kill the immersion a bit and goes against the WW2 dogfight inspiration for the Star Wars space fights.

News Comments > Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide
3. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 24, 2010, 10:22 Aero

So, crazy aside, is it any good?  

News Comments > Alien Swarm Patched
6. Re: Alien Swarm Patched Jul 22, 2010, 18:09 Aero

I'll try that, thanks a lot for the link.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 22, 2010, 09:15:
There is in the console -> asw_controls 0

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371124

News Comments > Alien Swarm Patched
3. Re: Alien Swarm Patched Jul 22, 2010, 07:03 Aero

Is there a way to configure the controls so that the movement directions are relative to my character/cursor rather than the cardinal directions?  

News Comments > Free Alien Swarm Release
33. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 20, 2010, 19:08 Aero

That's a fun shooter. Good Stuff.

My first time, in the first mission, I was on the elevator and hit the 'G' key, thinking this was going to launch a grenade or something at all the critters climbing up the shaft, but as it turns out, that is the throw-your-gun-off-the-elevator button. Don't be quick to judge though, it's all just part of the grand strategy, you see.

News Comments > Deep Shadows Games Translated
5. Re: Deep Shadows Games Translated Jun 7, 2010, 18:44 Aero

I was actually looking forward to both of these games in a way. They were ambitious if nothing else. Prescursors looked to be the more interesting of the two, but I've heard White Gold is a disaster.

What's the scoop? Worth going to the effort of importing copies of either?

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Analysis
2. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 30, 2010, 15:49 Aero

I'm willing to accept a little bit of obtrusiveness from a DRM scheme, provided that scheme actually works. That's the root of my objection to DRM in general. I wouldn't be all that opposed to these constant connection schemes if they really did prevent piracy. But they don't, and until they do, I won't think twice about any game that uses them. Of course, that's pretty unlikely, so better to just drop it entirely.  

News Comments > Shogun 2: Total War Revealed?
1. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 12:56 Aero

Nice.

I would find this much more interesting than their other theaters, if only because, being a Westerner, all that stuff is so old-hat. I don't know much about feudal Japan except that they had Samurais and Ninjas and other cool stuff. It's just more exotic and interesting from my perspective.

News Comments > More Infinity Ward Departures
6. Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Apr 27, 2010, 00:37 Aero

Didn't Infinity Ward start with an exodus of Medal of Honor developers? I seem to recall that.

Sort of goes to show that anybody who can quit Activision without too much worry of finding another job, does.

News Comments > New netKar PRO Demo
2. Re: New netKar PRO Demo Apr 6, 2010, 16:00 Aero

Yeah, this is officially 1.1 final:

http://www.netkar-pro.com

Here is the fix list for this version:

netKar PRO v1.1 FULL
- Fixed driver race number not being set on driver's panel opening
- Fixed licence file not being generated
- Removed "speeding in pits" message during replays
- Added click noise for cockpit buttons
- [TO CHECK] Fixed top bar only showing flags
- Fixed top bar not switchable and appearing in full mode
- Increased the highest driver race number to 500
- Dirty visor is back
- Fixed "use beep" in chat
- Tyre vibrational modes are now damped down going through the steering wheel
- Fixed FF friction applying forces in the wrong direction
- Added "cancel" button to password message box
- Fixed replay not showing custom skin
- Moved application saved files to "My Documents"
- Fixed incorrect rounding of setup values generating different numbers when moving up/down
- Added audio mixing functionality
- Added X360 controller native support
- Fixed a potential divide by zero when pedals are not properly configured
- Added an top level dead zone for the clutch preventi the car from moving slightly with 1st and clutch down
- Fixed limited slip differential adding too much locking torques
- Fixed F1600 front tyres, not enough grip
- New formula to calculate Force Feedback contributions from caster
- Added sort functionality to server list for Name, Car, Track and Ping
- Added Race, Qualify, Practice indicator in server list
- Added color codes to server list
- Fixed video resolution list reporting the same combination more than once
- Fixed incorrect "ghost" collisions in multiplayer
- Improved car bottom/ground collision detection and response
- Fixed BACKSPACE starter button interfering with chat
- Fixed controls configuration potentially crashing the system due to different locale culture settings
- Fixed fuel consuption for the F2000
- Fixed tyre temperature going very cold on grass and sand
- Fixed key control when device lock is > steer lock
- Added antialias settings
- Added remote cars details settings
- Fixed controller panel not updating controller configuration after executing controller wizard
- Online Race panel now checks if a track is available on the client before launching the simulator
- Fixed engine sound source for 5.1 and 7.1 systems
- Added custom tracks cubemap support

News Comments > New netKar PRO Demo
1. Re: New netKar PRO Demo Apr 5, 2010, 22:45 Aero

Beta 3/3 was released some months ago. However, today 1.1 Final release candidates popped up in a few places (that's probably what the download links are to), and those are probably what caused the attention. These may in fact be the actual final 1.1 release and not just RCs, but communication is a little sketchy. At any rate, it's newer than beta 3/3.

Oh, and it's great to see this. The 1.1 series were a huge improvement and finally made NKP what it should have been in the first place. The betas all had pretty serious bugs in them though of one type or another, so the final is most welcome. It really is a brilliant sim at its core.

News Comments > Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete
5. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 12:57 Aero

I never really did with all of the ire directed against the concept. I don't think games are necessarily any different from film or novels, and if done properly can be used for serious subjects to great effect. I mean, if you can look far enough into the future (imagine, say, something like the holodeck in Star Trek), can you imagine any more effective way to communicate the tragedy of war? The limits of current technology do make all games a little cartoony to a certain extent, but I think this is a creative avenue that has the potential to rival if far surpass writing and film.

I think it's an interesting idea, and the subject matter should certainly be treated with respect, lest they just appear to be cashing in on real life tragedies, but at the same time Hollywood does this quite blatantly all the time (people certainly got rich off of Shindler's List, for instance), and people don't get so up in arms about it. Many people even appreciate it and admire it, in fact.

It just depends on how they do it really. If it's just an everyday war shooter, trading on the emotional impact of the events at Fallujah and the Streisand effect, then that will certainly be tasteless, but that remains to be seen.

News Comments > Half-Life Pulse Detected
17. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 11:09 Aero

To me, what HL2 lacked wasn't really horror so much as it was mystery. HL1 had a great combination of mystery, action and exploration. In that sense, the franchise is spent, at least as far as recapturing the feeling of the first one is concerned.

I'd like to see them take the same basic concept as the first one, and start over with a new IP. I think this could work pretty well. I would say that 75% of what made HL1 great (and most all of what made HL2 good) had nothing to do with the concept, but Valve's skill at execution.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2010, 11:51 Aero

The all time top 10's list link is one of the better ones I've seen. Everything there is either an all-time-favorite or something I have to grudgingly accept.

The keep going on about the physics engine in Half Life, though, and I really don't recall it having anything out of the ordinary in that regard. I may just not remember it properly though.

What it had that made it special was complex scripted events that worked the plot right into the game-play and a contiguous environment so there was no missing time. You were Gordon, you didn't just take control of him from time to time (making him have no dialog, for instance, was brilliant). It took immersion to an entirely different level.

News Comments > Metro 2033 DLC Plans, Movies
8. Re: Metro 2033 DLC Plans, Movies Mar 17, 2010, 14:51 Aero

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 11:00:
In that stealth video 2 enemies standing beside the fire, one drops dead the other one just stands there not even making a move while the player lines up the second shot. Then the second one gets killed and the 3rd guy just walks by these 2.

Wow, yeah. That is amazingly weak. That's in a trailer showing off stealth kills?! That has historically been one of the most obvious flaws with AI in stealth games going back years and years. It's the strangest thing. You'd think it wouldn't be all that hard to to add some code to check for and alert nearby friends of an enemy that is killed.

To be fair, immersion wrecking as it is, from a gameplay perspective it's much preferable to unrealistic awareness in AI. I look forward to the day when you can approach AI just using intuitive understanding of how real people behave rather than figuring out whatever crude algorithm the AI follow.

We desperately need more advancement in AI. If some developer could create truly convincing AI, that one feature would make a game that was mediocre in all other aspects an instant classic. I imagine it's much more difficult in practice than it seems, but I would be more than happy to give up all of the enhancements in graphics from the last two or three years if that processing power went towards advanced AI in a new game.

News Comments > Future Soldier Trailer Hints
5. Re: Future Soldier Trailer Hints Mar 10, 2010, 10:50 Aero

I'd forgotten about that. It was always so relaxing sitting back and watching the replay after a mission. They did an excellent job with the character animations.

zirik wrote on Mar 10, 2010, 10:10:
i loved the first ghost recon. it is still one of my favorite military games. i loved the replay feature that you can share with friends. i used it to study what went right or wrong in a mission. whats cool is that it played it back in real time using the games graphic engine. no recorded video needed that takes up tons of space. in fact i still have the replay files in my backup drive!

772 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo