Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 756 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life Pulse Detected
17. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 11:09 Aero

To me, what HL2 lacked wasn't really horror so much as it was mystery. HL1 had a great combination of mystery, action and exploration. In that sense, the franchise is spent, at least as far as recapturing the feeling of the first one is concerned.

I'd like to see them take the same basic concept as the first one, and start over with a new IP. I think this could work pretty well. I would say that 75% of what made HL1 great (and most all of what made HL2 good) had nothing to do with the concept, but Valve's skill at execution.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2010, 11:51 Aero

The all time top 10's list link is one of the better ones I've seen. Everything there is either an all-time-favorite or something I have to grudgingly accept.

The keep going on about the physics engine in Half Life, though, and I really don't recall it having anything out of the ordinary in that regard. I may just not remember it properly though.

What it had that made it special was complex scripted events that worked the plot right into the game-play and a contiguous environment so there was no missing time. You were Gordon, you didn't just take control of him from time to time (making him have no dialog, for instance, was brilliant). It took immersion to an entirely different level.

News Comments > Metro 2033 DLC Plans, Movies
8. Re: Metro 2033 DLC Plans, Movies Mar 17, 2010, 14:51 Aero

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 11:00:
In that stealth video 2 enemies standing beside the fire, one drops dead the other one just stands there not even making a move while the player lines up the second shot. Then the second one gets killed and the 3rd guy just walks by these 2.

Wow, yeah. That is amazingly weak. That's in a trailer showing off stealth kills?! That has historically been one of the most obvious flaws with AI in stealth games going back years and years. It's the strangest thing. You'd think it wouldn't be all that hard to to add some code to check for and alert nearby friends of an enemy that is killed.

To be fair, immersion wrecking as it is, from a gameplay perspective it's much preferable to unrealistic awareness in AI. I look forward to the day when you can approach AI just using intuitive understanding of how real people behave rather than figuring out whatever crude algorithm the AI follow.

We desperately need more advancement in AI. If some developer could create truly convincing AI, that one feature would make a game that was mediocre in all other aspects an instant classic. I imagine it's much more difficult in practice than it seems, but I would be more than happy to give up all of the enhancements in graphics from the last two or three years if that processing power went towards advanced AI in a new game.

News Comments > Future Soldier Trailer Hints
5. Re: Future Soldier Trailer Hints Mar 10, 2010, 10:50 Aero

I'd forgotten about that. It was always so relaxing sitting back and watching the replay after a mission. They did an excellent job with the character animations.

zirik wrote on Mar 10, 2010, 10:10:
i loved the first ghost recon. it is still one of my favorite military games. i loved the replay feature that you can share with friends. i used it to study what went right or wrong in a mission. whats cool is that it played it back in real time using the games graphic engine. no recorded video needed that takes up tons of space. in fact i still have the replay files in my backup drive!

News Comments > Future Soldier Trailer Hints
3. Re: Future Soldier Trailer Hints Mar 10, 2010, 08:09 Aero

I'd love another more like the first, though published by some other company.

I'm actually surprised there weren't more developers copying the style of that one. It's brilliance came from its relative simplicity while still doing a good job of giving the impression of realism. It wasn't really a complicated formula at all: three stances, three ROEs, waypoints, cover-arcs, and that's about it, but it worked so well.

By not trying to force too much plot, you actually got attached to your team members, not because of some artificial personality, but because of their effectiveness (I could always count on Chung to lay it down with the SAW when I was in a pinch, and it really pissed me off when he was killed because of one hasty decision I made).

Just a very simple, well thought out game when it camee down to it, but it worked so well. Update that old formula with some new graphics, bigger maps, more objective interaction, (and I wouldn't mind a little bit more action-game style to the individual soldier control), and you could have something pretty good. I imagine it wouldn't go over so well with the console crowd though.

News Comments > NVIDIA Driver Issue
5. Re: NVIDIA Driver Issue Mar 4, 2010, 22:50 Aero

Nvidia seems to have issues with fan control more often than they should. Up until a few versions ago (almost the entire 180 series as I recall) I couldn't use any of the newer ones because the fan would never slow back down again once it sped up, and I had other similar problems a few versions before that. All WHQL drivers, of course.

I suppose its nice that they're constantly updating their drivers with optimizations for new games, but sometimes they seem to be outpacing themselves.

I do usually use reference drivers though, and I don't update unless there is a specific reason to do so, so it would perhaps be wiser to use EVGA's board-specific releases in the future. Fans running too fast is one thing, but too slow is something else entirely.

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM Not Cracked
12. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Not Cracked Mar 4, 2010, 10:55 Aero

It's good that Ubisoft responded to this. Since obviously it will be fully cracked sooner rather than later, there will be a lot of journalists asking them for comments about that when it happens and they've set the precedent of responding. Now they will likely have to publicly admit their DRM doesn't actually work, and it will give everyone that bought it something to think about when they inevitably have some sort of, at least minor, hassle with it.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Ships, Day One Patch Released
20. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Ships, Day One Patch Released Mar 2, 2010, 15:44 Aero

I was very disappointed to hear you can't play the multi-player modes single-player with bots like you could in the earlier BF games.

On a good server with mature players, the Battlefield games were easily some of the best computer gaming I've ever experienced. On server with brats and idiots, there wasn't much point.

Playing alone with bots made up for this to a certain degree. In my opinion, BF2 with bots, while it hardly compared to a good server, was much better than the typical, disorganized public server. At least the general flow of the gameplay worked right, and it made for a fun shooting gallery. It's why I kept it installed for so long.

It seems as I get older I have less and less patience for the jerk-offs on the typical public servers, to the point now where I won't even subject myself to it, and I don't really have the time to go seeking out good matches/players anymore.

I can appreciate why they didn't, of course. Given the probable amount of work it would take, it wouldn't be worth it given how few people would actually be interested in it. I imagine that the people that play like twits on public servers just like to play it that way, and the serious people are willing to invest the time to sort themselves out (it really can be truly awesome with good players).

It's just a shame it's gone a step backward feature-wise in this sense. I'd pay for that as DLC in the future if they put real effort into it. It would give us co-op as well, which was also lots of fun, and you only need a handful of people to make that worthwhile (just two player BF2 coop with my roommate back when was a hell of a lot of fun).

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
8. Re: Boycott Ubisoft DRM Titles Feb 26, 2010, 22:23 Aero

anyawow wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 22:09:
It's not hard for me to say, no, from now until the day that I die all of your games are not going to be purchased by me.

Signed.

News Comments > Sunday Previews
3. Re: Sunday Previews Feb 14, 2010, 17:19 Aero

In reality, I doubt this DRM would have any practical downsides for me. I am always connected to the internet, and it's been a long, long time since I've had any interruption in my service (though I have increasingly been playing games on my laptop). Though I want the option to be available, odds are that I won't actually want to re-install it and play again five years from now either. It's the principle for this one.

I'm sure the pirates will crack it in short order, they always do.

In this case though, that won't make much difference to me. In the past when there was DRM I didn't like, I'd just install one of the cracks to get around the annoyance, but in this this case I just won't be buying it at all.

That was the thing before. The DRM annoyed me, but not to the point where I would entirely forgo playing a game I was otherwise interested in. This one is just dropping off my radar entirely. I no longer have any interest in any previews, ads, screenshots, or anything. Just blotted out of my mind. When I'm walking down the aisle in the store, it will just be an obstacle on the shelf obstructing my view of the games I actually might buy. It's a shame, because it's a good series.

As usual, none of this will make a lick of difference to the people who pirate it though. I must admit that, if it is good, I will probably be tempted, but that would just be playing into their hands, and they'd think "Aha,see? We need even stronger copy protection."

News Comments > Sunday Previews
1. Re: Sunday Previews Feb 14, 2010, 15:46 Aero

So then...

I need to be connected to Ubisoft constantly to play Silent Hunter 5 single-player, and if my connection dies the game just stops mid-stride?

I don't usually do a lot of bitching about DRM stuff. I don't like it of course, and I think it's silly when they try to take it beyond just stopping casual copying, but I'm probably just too old or something to get all worked up about it. I wouldn't, for instance, bother to boycott a game because it has DRM I don't agree with.

Until now, of course.

Hopefully this isn't just me, and the rest of the people who were willing to be pushed so far will draw the line here.

edit: And yes, I know what you're going to say, that had I bothered to boycott stuff earlier maybe it wouldn't have come this far, and that it didn't take any leap of imagination to have seen this sort of DRM coming, but nevertheless here we are.

I would also point out that if they took the fact that you always have to be connected to their server and did something with it beyond just DRM that couldn't be done otherwise, then I wouldn't be so against it. I'm sure they could think of some interesting ways to add value to it given that the devs can now count on people always being connected to a central server (and not just social-networking, achievement crap). That would certainly change my opinion to a degree. Give and take. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's something.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2010, 15:56.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Feb 2, 2010, 15:06 Aero

Okay, first things first.

To those of you who have played it, is it stable at this point?

I really want to buy it, I've bought every other one the day they came out (and for the most part had good enough luck), but this time I'm sitting on my hands until things are sorted. There are few things worse than playing a game, no matter how good it is, where there's always that nagging worry in the back of your head that it might crash at any moment.

News Comments > GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City to PCs in March
1. Re: GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City to PCs in March Jan 29, 2010, 10:49 Aero

It would be nice if they would upgrade the underlying engine a bit. It was improved somewhat with patching, but the performance is still to low given the quality of the graphics. It also just kind of has an overall clunky feeling that's hard to put my finger on, but pretty common in console ports.

Also, to join the inevitable forthcoming chorus, lose the damn Social Club thing. That is the most ridiculous piece of parasitic garbage I've ever seen attached to a video game. Worse that GFW. Speaking of GFW, lose that too.

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Procedural Audio
15. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Procedural Audio Jan 24, 2010, 15:05 Aero

Though I agree with your sentiment in many situations, and programming has to be watched in case it becomes a runaway situation (to a programmer, a program they find interesting is never done, and games tend to be interesting things to program), but keeping them too reigned in is why we have so many cookie-cutter games... yet another Unreal Engine shooter that's the same as every other one, except it has different graphics and a different story, and so on.

To me, one of the best aspects of trying a new game is to see what the cool things the programmers have done. There we get things like destructible environments in Red Faction, and new graphical tricks that make things look more realistic.

Remember the first Hitman game, when you were walking by a guard and his head would follow you? This was a little thing, but it was awesome and actually added a lot to the experience. It was also one of the first game I recall using ragdolls, and I probably spent hours blowing people out windows with a shotgun, dropping them off ledges, and just playing with that one feature.

Some of the best classics of all time were mostly advances in programming. Like, say, Elite ("I bet we could procedurally generate stuff and put a whole damn galaxy on a BBC Micro with 32K of ram"), Wolf3D("Hey, if we only scale the textures vertically, we could do texture-mapping on a 386), Doom ("I bet we could get this going multiplayer over a network and change the face of gaming for all time.")

Granted, I don't think fancy footsteps are much of an example, but it is in the right spirit. Probably worse, if every development team insisted on writing their own engine, half of everything would be as buggy as Stalker for sure--it is nice to (mostly) be able to count on an Unreal Engine game being stable and well optimized (though the licensees could always add their own features on top of it).

Basically, I think creativity on the programming front is every bit as important, if not more so, than things like storytelling, and the game designers' tools are limited to what the programmers give them to work with.

Stormsinger wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 15:28:
Sounds like a seriously warped sense of priorities...which is pretty much what happens when you let the programmers decide what's important (they frequently mistake cool-to-code for cool-to-play). Do these guys -have- any game designers?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 18, 2010, 12:30 Aero

Hm. I just happened to buy an iPod touch and Chinatown wars seems like a good portable game in theory. Cool as the the GTA3+ versions were, I always though in terms of pure arcade gameplay that it worked a little better from a top down perspective like the original.

I don't see it working that well on an iPod/iPhone though. The touchscreen controls just don't work very well. First of all, it means I have to cover up part of the screen with my fingers, and without any tactile feedback too often things go wrong just because I hit the wrong spot or it doesn't properly register my thumb sliding on the screen. It can be enormously frustrating. Might just need more practice though.

It's not that it's a bad gaming platform, it's just suited to different kinds of games. I'd love to see something like a Torchlight port. I'm sure there must be something like it out there burried amongst all the fart apps.

Screenshots seem to indicate effects-wise it's the worst looking of the bunch aside from having a higher resolution than the DS version (?). Looks like it doesn't have any shadows from the objects and the textures are kind of washed out. Of course, it's not as though I'm really demanding good graphics in something like this.

Screens:
http://www.techtree.com/India/News/GTA_Chinatown_Wars_Now_on_iPhone/551-108803-585.html (assuming these are genuine iPhone screens. edit: they are, same as on the iTunes page).

Hell, I'll probably buy it anyways.

Yet another edit: Seems like everyone likes. If it works with accelerometer for left/right driving (I can't deal with the left/right, forward/back combination... murder on the wrists), maybe it's good.

$10 is a good deal considering the cost on other platforms.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

No wait, just one more thing: there's a video at toucharcade.com. Looks okay actually, I was wrong about some of the graphics stuff, like shadows.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2010, 12:50.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Need for Speed SHIFT
9. Re: Need for Speed SHIFT Ships Sep 15, 2009, 13:18 Aero

You've seen the racers we have on the PC, right? You're confidently going to say you're most realistic than those?

SMS was formed by Ian bell from the remnants of Blimey! games and is comprised of all of the significant talent from the original SimBin team before the split. They're the people responsible for GTR, GT Legends and GTR2, all very respected hardcore PC Sim-racing titles. They're quite capable. The question is how short a leash does EA have them on when it comes to difficulty and realism. Without a doubt, SMS is capable of making what could be the most realistic sim to date, in league with iRacing, NKP and others.

Won't know until I try it though. I have a lot of trepidation because it's either going to be a huge disappointment or a brilliant sim. I have heard that the highest difficulty setting is quite realistic, no holds barred, but not yet from anyone I consider very reliable.

News Comments > Evony Sues Blogger
14. Re: Evony Sues Blogger Sep 14, 2009, 12:47 Aero

I must admit his blogs did reek of someone with some sort of personal axe to grind and were clearly written not as some sort of serious discussion of their practices, but just rants dolled up to look serious. The malware one in particular is laughable--just sticks in a few random quotes from a messageboard (I mean, come on) as evidence to cover himself. That probably works though, supermarket tabloids do that sort of thing all the time.

Don't get me wrong, Evony sucks and we'd all be better without its shadiness, but the guy could have actually tried harder with real research and such. He's just making an ass of himself trying to present simpleminded messageboard-type rants as some sort of serious journalist blog (an oxymoron I know, but I'm sure he fancies himself a journalist).

The whole thing is a farce. A lot of the crap he posted is asking for a libel suit. He shouldn't lose, but if he'd taken it seriously he would have been more effective, unequivocally covered himself, and more importantly, written something worth reading.

I like what Paketep said, it would be great if they could both lose. Perhaps they'll all spend a ton of money on legal fees and then the case will be thrown out or something.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Sep 11, 2009, 22:55 Aero

Yeah, I thought Wolfenstein was pretty good. It wasn't ground-breaking or original in any way, but the combat was fun and the weapons were pretty cool. I could have done without the traipsing back and forth through the town and I didn't use the veil stuff all that much, only when I really had to because it wrecked the immersion with all its greenness and such.

I think maybe they strayed too far from the original Wolfenstein. Giving the player supernatural powers wasn't a good idea. Part of the charm of Wolf3D was that you were just a regular guy thrust into some creepy supernatural evilness, and like any red-blooded badass, you don't ask any questions and just pick up a chaingun and start blasting it all to hell. Doom was pretty much the same. It doesn't need much of a plot because there isn't anything to understand: You're good, they're bad, kill them.

Bottom line was that the actual gameplay part was fun, they just stuffed too much unnecessary shit in there.

If you could rent computer games, this one would be a renter. If they drop the price to $20, that would probably make me recommend picking it up. As it is, I'd say grab it later when the price plummets, which it likely will soon given hardly anyone seems to be buying it as it stands.

News Comments > MechWarrior Legal Conflict
21. Re: MechWarrior Legal Conflict Sep 4, 2009, 13:40 Aero

I'm surprised there are trademark disputes about this sort of thing. From my experience watching anime, most all of the robots in all of the shows look pretty damn much the same to me.

They probably won't have to remove anything. Just put some antennas on it or change the way the legs look or something. They could probably keep all of the movement mechanics and such the same and just change some of the geometry and textures in place. I'm not familiar with these particular mechs, but if the similarity from one anime to another is anything to go by, odds are they won't have to change all that much.

I much prefer the western style mechs to those Gundam and Macross things. They look much more like practical, mass-produced war machines. The Japanese ones are cool looking too but often they look awkward and entirely too flashy.

BTW: Can anyone provide pictures of the offending mechs and their counterparts?

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2009, 13:19 Aero

I could go either way on this one actually. It depends in part on how well the first person perspective is done. The good ones make you feel the mass of your character and somehow the movement feels more natural. The bad ones, of course, make you feel like you're flying a camera around.

Not so long ago I was thinking about immersion in first person shooters and I think my biggest problem is that I've grown too accustomed to them like they were pure arcade games. I don't really look at the environment, I just subconsciously note where all of the cover spots are, where enemies are likely to pop up, which directions I can go and that sort of thing--like a "level" rather than a world. Instead of looking at it as though it were a real place, I look at it as though through the eyes of the level designer. I'm not so much thinking "which way should I go?" so much as I am "which way am I supposed to go?"

I sometimes think about all of the intricate little details built into the scenery of the levels, and that most all of the time I just sprint by it without really even seeing it.

I think how cool it must be for someone who has never played a game like this and doesn't just automatically see all of the seams and smoke and mirrors. They see a house on the side of the road in COD and see it as a house, whereas I just see it as a flat bit of scenery acting as a wall to funnel me in the right direction.

756 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo