Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 785 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Sep 5, 2011, 12:27 Aero

Kind of a shame about the Dead Island reviews. I wasn't expecting much, but it looked like it could have been interesting. I imagine it's probably just gonna be another Boiling Point type game with an impressive premise that almost, but doesn't quite, work because of amateurish implementation.

Though, to be fair, a 6/10 from Eurogamer is respectable enough so that I might pick it up one day when the price drops south of $20 and it hopefully has a few patches to sort out bugs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Bastion DLC Plans
8. Re: No Bastion DLC Plans Sep 4, 2011, 17:16 Aero

+1 for recommending Bastion. Not usually my kind of thing, but I've been having a lot of fun with it. The narration is brilliant, and I have to wonder why I've never seen anything like this before.

I'm having better luck with an Xbox controller than mouse+WASD.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Aug 12, 2011, 16:04 Aero

On that last one, I'd say more along the lines of "Creepy Bungie employee routinely carries handgun and handcuffs for some reason..."  

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Motion Capture Trailer
11. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Motion Capture Trailer Aug 10, 2011, 20:53 Aero

I thought the shooter mechanics and AI were quite good, which saved it for me. The "boo!" scare element and occasionally wonky level design kept it from being as good as it could have been though. If it had more straight shooter elements and less, frankly boring, horror, it would probably have been an excellent game..

I also don't really remember much about the story, so it can't have been that good. All I know is that I was having quite a bit of fun when I was in heavy combat situations, but was bored stiff while I did the forced march through linear haunted house sections, and they probably accounted for most of the actual game length content-wise.

News Comments > World of Warplanes Website
4. Re: World of Warplanes Website Aug 8, 2011, 22:47 Aero

To further confuse things, Gaijin (Wings of Prey) is working on an MMO called World of Planes, originally announced as an April Fool's joke, but now a real product.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Getting PC Features
5. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Getting PC Features Jul 29, 2011, 10:55 Aero

Definitely wasted effort. Nothing short of a complete re-design could make that game not a huge festering pile. I usually try to stay positive in my posts, but really, that game was hopeless.

However, I bet a dedicated mod group could take what's there and make it into something more like what it should have been.

News Comments > THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses
5. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 27, 2011, 22:36 Aero

Though it seems to be an unconventional view, I thought Armageddon was great. It was nothing special or novel in any way and I would have preferred a proper evolutionary sequel to Guerrilla, but looked at separately as just a simple mindless third person action shooter, it was great fun and well executed.

True, I would have expected more from them and it's odd that they went from a game that was interesting and creative to a sequel that was several steps backward in that regard, but for what it was, they did it well.

News Comments > IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Add-on in September?
14. Re: IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Add-on in September? Jul 16, 2011, 18:45 Aero

Kind of a lot of money for a campaign add on. It would have to be pretty damn good to be worth 40 dollars.

edit: euros -> dollars

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2011, 20:13.

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint: Red River Trailer
2. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Red River Trailer May 31, 2011, 17:08 Aero

PunkiBastardo wrote on May 31, 2011, 16:48:
What's with the green & red lasers?

Tracers. One of the (unfortunately few) things the game did well. Nice effect.

News Comments > Not Coming Soon to PCs
6. Re: Not Coming Soon to PCs Apr 21, 2011, 02:01 Aero

I've got the input lag with Shift2 that many people have (and also afflicted the first one), so I didn't enjoy it that much. It does have a lot of potential though despite its stupid menus, goofy narration by a pointy haired drifter, and just too much "XTR3ME!" going on in general.

Apparently a patch may be on the way to sort out the input lag. If they can do that, it would be a winner. Despite the lag and ADD oriented presentation, it's clear that it has decent semi-simulation physics underpinning the handling and some nice content.

The DLC addon has some marvelous stuff in it (pretty much GT Legends, which was mostly made by the same developers), so if it doesn't find its way to the PC eventually, that will be a really solid kick in the balls for PC gamers.

News Comments > X Rebirth Announced
19. Re: X Rebirth Announced Apr 21, 2011, 01:52 Aero

Though I don't see them dropping the business empire mechanic, I really want it to be more about me and my ship and less about me and a list of two hundred ships four levels deep in a menu that all need instructions and fifty interdependent factories that need supplies. Space sims are, at least theoretically, far and away my favorite video game genre. What I like about them, though, is getting to pretend I'm living the life of a spaceship captain. Me, my ship, and a galaxy to explore, battles to be fought, and money to be made.

In Elite/Privateer/Freelancer, the fundamental game mechanic was flying your ship and fighting other ships, or praying that you could sneak by without being noticed. I'm not really sure what the fundamental game mechanic of the X games is. It's sort of a jack-of-all-trades, and if anything, the fundamental game mechanic is a spreadsheet business simulation.

If you just want to do the Han Solo thing, striking out in your ship to explore and fight the good fight, the X galaxy is severely lacking. It's just one big empty cube of space with pretty backdrop connected to four others just like it through jump gates at each corner, and so on. Hopefully X Rebirth will have a more interesting and believable environment, with planets, stars and solar systems.

Most importantly, hopefully there will be more to do on your own at the controls of your ship. I don't need a business empire, just a hold full of contraband and a best guess at a course that will minimize my exposure to the space police.

The X games aren't bad, of course, they're just not as good as they could be. As others have said, more character interaction (even simple things like getting missions and text-based rumors at space bars), and a more naturally structured universe would go a long, long way toward making X Rebirth a classic.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art
3. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 8, 2011, 18:19 Aero

Way too much weathering on the weapon textures. Look like they were fished out of a river after six months.  

News Comments > Kali Port Change
10. Re: Kali Port Change Apr 3, 2011, 23:36 Aero

How's about GameConn BBS software?

Those were good days. Just enough people so that there was always a game of Doom or Descent to be had, but also few enough so that we all knew each other from the BBS or in person. Worked reasonably well too, though every player got the frame rate of whoever had the slowest computer.

Much better than DWANGO.

edit: Oh, and in the off chance, anyone from DoomHQ, The Netherworld or AlterEgo in the DC area? Meet me in (t)elechat channel #1911.

News Comments > Hitman 5 Hints?
3. Re: Hitman 5 Hints? Mar 16, 2011, 23:55 Aero

Hitman 1 was the first game I specifically remember implementing ragdoll physics, and I probably spent about as much time making a game out of just trying to blast bad guys out third floor windows with a shotgun as the length of the single player campaigns in all the Modern Warfare games combined.

Though there were ups and downs and were never quite as good as they could have been, these really were brilliant games on the whole, and it was disappointing that IO has since sunk to the depths of developing the Kane and Lynch games (which I haven't tried but understand are awful).

In short, another Hitman would be splendid. So far as stealth/shooters go, there hasn't been a game that had the replayability and, more importantly, genuinely allowed the player a degree of actual creativity in how they play the game in quite a long time.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
15. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 9, 2011, 00:37 Aero

DangerDog wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 00:24:
This is like the long standing argument about how to pronounce .gif and the inventor long ago stated that it's pronounced with a j sound like jiffy peanut butter and not with a g sound.

The creators of SCSI originally pronounced it "sexy" but it almost immediately became "scuzzy" instead.

It's weird how these things work on the internet, where most communication happens through text. I often have that problem with computer acronyms and nicknames that I've only ever seen online or read in a book. It can be pretty embarrassing when I suddenly have to say something aloud and realize I don't actually know how it's really pronounced.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 9, 2011, 13:48 Aero

So, did Fox News fall right into Bulletstorm's marketing trap, or is their behind the scenes collusion?

Clearly, this is exactly what EA was hoping would happen. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised this sort of thing does anymore, which is what leads me to speculate about collusion, though this is of course probably unlikely in reality.

I suppose they have sort of a symbiotic relationship in a way. Fox News gets to be outraged about something, and Bulletstorm gets free publicity of inestimable value.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 19:26 Aero

Yeah, not sure about the third person cover. I think I might almost prefer full third person game play to switching between first person and third person.

I have nothing against third person if if the controls are done well. I thought Gears of War, while flawed in many ways, had nice fluid controls. Mass Effect 2 worked pretty well.

Obviously, though I would prefer pure first person. No cover, or a less intrusive system. I liked the way Vietcong did it. You just crouched behind a log or something and you were in cover, but when you looked down your sites you popped up a bit. Perfect. They could do something similar for corners. Best of all, because it's first person, there isn't any need to fit your character model's animation to it. Just move the view. It doesn't have to make physical sense as long as it gives the right impression from the first person view.

Anyways, they probably felt like they had to stick a third person element in somewhere so that you could see your character and your outfit and gear and whatever.

News Comments > Dragon Age II DRM Explained
28. Re: Dragon Age II DRM Explained Feb 1, 2011, 00:22 Aero

How can the Release Control both "not install anything to the PC" and "completely remove itself after the game release date has passed?"

Presumably they mean it doesn't install any funky drivers or anything, but it still doesn't read right.

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica Online Trailer
6. Re: Battlestar Galactica Online Trailer Jan 25, 2011, 00:31 Aero

Anyone know what the actual space combat is like? Is it X-Wing style, or more clicky-clicky Eve style? Looks pretty clicky to me, but that's just an impression. It would be nice if their site would give you some information without requiring registration. I dunno, might be worth checking out. For a browser game, the graphics look reasonable enough. Maybe something to play on the laptop when I'm killing time away from home.

Seriously god dammit, why can't we get any good space sims? (Yes, I'm familiar with what's available, but it's nothing like the sort of attention my favorite genre used to get). With all the graphics power we have today, they could make one that was damn near perfect... what we all dreamed computer games would be like in the future when we were kids.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
4. Re: Saturday Screenshots Jan 22, 2011, 23:21 Aero

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 21:28:
It was previously known as "Storm of War". The name change to IL2 Cliffs of Dover is recent. I guess to bank off IL2's good name, smart move really.

Ohhhh... So this is Battle of Britain: Storm of War. I gotcha, I thought this was another Wings of Prey sort of deal.

Actually, in that case, it looks a little disappointing. And Ubisoft? Ugh. I'm sure it will be good... after the dust settles, and with some patching.

I hadn't really been following the development, but it looks like it's kind of falling apart at the end here.

785 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo