Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 766 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 2, 2011, 22:34 Aero

Hm. 768M of RAM on the CPU die? That seems pretty unlikely.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Flight Beta Signups
1. Re: Flight Beta Signups Dec 2, 2011, 20:42 Aero

"You must enter a valid invitation ID prior to submitting this page."

Far as it wants to go for me.

Update:

Had better luck via this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/#news-beta_program_accepting_applications

News Comments > Sunday Previews
1. Re: Sunday Previews Nov 27, 2011, 16:45 Aero

I gotta say, considering it in isolation from the franchise, I'm actually looking forward to Syndicate and think it could possibly deliver. There is potential there for a solid cybrepunk fps game.  

News Comments > Skyrim and D3D Antilag
1. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 27, 2011, 15:14 Aero

Is this different from just changing the render ahead frames setting in the control panel (as I recall, ATI has a similar setting)? I've found that for anything lag sensitive that doesn't otherwise get a huge framerate, it's best to keep this at 0 or 1.  

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
14. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 14:09 Aero

While I applaud them finally figuring out the way to deal with a problem like piracy is to find a way to adapt to it, it's probably going to be a while before they actually figure out how since the obvious, quality games at reasonable prices, isn't something a company like Ubisoft would consider.

They're going to need a new excuse though, when their online game that cannot be pirated fails anyways (though if you give me something worth paying a monthly fee for, I'll gladly do that).

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Trailer
10. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Nov 17, 2011, 17:42 Aero

Sequels should be about technical (engine) improvements and game play refinements. That's the way it used to be. It used to be that you were virtually guaranteed that a sequel to a game was better than the original.

That seems to be exactly what they're doing here, and it looks pretty damn good. If the they didn't say anything, or show Bullet Time segments, and the character models weren't recognizable, I would recognize that as Max Payne immediately.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Turns Ten
7. Re: Ghost Recon Turns Ten Nov 16, 2011, 17:40 Aero

I'm a little amazed that the original GR hasn't been bested yet. It really got it right with a simple interface and controls, but a lot of depth to the actual strategy and gameplay.

It was perfect: ROE, squad movement, and cover arcs and that's it--all controlled through a basic pop-up map. It couldn't be easier or simpler, but it gave you all the freedom and control you needed to plan out your strategies exactly. I'm sure even the general console crowd could cope with it.

Also, even though there wasn't any "character development" in the silly melodramatic sense of modern games, by just giving them names and improving their abilities with experience, I was more attached to the characters in GR than any other game I can think of. I still remember Chung because he was so effective with the SAW. When he bought it, I was actually a little sad. He'd saved the whole squad a number of times.

Also liked watching the replays.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Saints Row: The Third
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Saints Row: The Third Nov 15, 2011, 12:57 Aero

Looking forward to trying this one. In the end, I don't think I really cared for SR2 because of flaky performance/stability, but they definitely "get" what made the early Grand Theft Auto games fun, but Rockstar forgot when they started taking it too seriously.

That said, I've got an awful lot of games to play right now, so it'll probably be a while before I buy it, and probably not until it's in the sub-$30 category.

News Comments > Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached
6. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 10, 2011, 17:50 Aero

Let's hope they really honored the selection to not save credit card details when you purchase something (I'd really like it if that wasn't checked by default, all you have to do is forget it one time). Of course, that isn't to say the data isn't somewhere amongst their billing databases.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Microstutter Nov 10, 2011, 00:37 Aero

I don't actually see that it would need much of a new engine. Oblivion plus more polygons, more objects, bigger textures, and longer draw distances would do pretty well. Fancier graphics are always better, of course, but it looks like what they have does the job.

The one thing it does need is a totally new character animation system, and from what I've seen, it hasn't really got one (same bolt upright, poorly transitioning, frankly kind of creepy looking manikins as Fallout/Oblivion). That's a shame. Hardly a game breaker, but that's an area that could *really* have benefited from some developer TLC.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition Nov 8, 2011, 14:10 Aero

I've considered buying this game many times. I really can't get over the fact that it just looks like it plays a lot like an "interactive" FMV game from the nineties, though.

But then, everyone did say it was good. Maybe some day.

News Comments > Take On Helicopters Patch Plans
2. Re: Take On Helicopters Patch Plans Nov 4, 2011, 19:13 Aero

Haven't tried it, but the word is that it isn't that great at this point. Aside from bugs, some people are enjoying it though.

Apparently it isn't modelling some important aspects of helicopter dynamics (with fancy names that I don't really understand, like "vortex ring state" and "retreating blade stall"), but people generally have faith that it will improve it seems. It uses a middleware package for the helicopter physics, so apparently it's just a matter of them enabling features, but of course, then making sure they don't break the game.

Additional:

"Deeply into Vortex Ring State, the flow near the rotor is found to resemble that of a three-dimensional bluff body operating at low Reynolds numbers, with unsteady recirculation of the flow near and in the rotor plane."

Well, that clears that up then.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2011, 20:59.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Improvements
44. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 10:49 Aero

I want a fix for occasional crashing, which just started the other day for some reason, though not frequently enough to really put me off it

The biggest fix of all is VOIP, though it seems like a third party will beat them to it if TeamSync with TeamSpeak really works the way it's supposed to.

There are also some oddities in the lag hiding algorithms. I'd like lag to be obvious (I don't see a way to determine my ping from in game, and the server browser only sometimes gives me an actual ping), not just a nebulous feeling that somehow I'm inexplicably sucking a lot more than usual at shooting and not being shot.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Status Report
19. Re: Battlefield 3 Status Report Nov 1, 2011, 08:11 Aero

Biggest weakness is definitely poor squad support. Minus a few technical things, that was something they got right in BF2, and didn't need to be made more complicated and broken.

Other than that, though, good times so far.

News Comments > Game Reviews
24. Re: Gamespot Oct 27, 2011, 00:44 Aero

The SP campaign is okay. Probably worth $20-25 or so by itself. I've heard people say it's only 4 hours long, but I'm not quite done yet and I've put in six hours without dieing a whole lot. Bots would have been great though. With co-op, that would be all sorts of fun.

The co-op that's in there is a joke.

It's also a good game to flex a powerful system if you want to see some pretty pictures.

22. Re: Gamespot Oct 26, 2011, 21:35 Aero

Yeah, that particular quote made me do a double take. Battlelog seems to be, at least in a piecemeal fashion, almost universally hated, but that quote reads like EA wrote it themselves.

I quite liked the SP campaign, but it was certainly nothing new or interesting in that sense. It was just COD but with nearly a generational leap in engine technology. Not worth buying it for the SP without a doubt.

Now, on the other hand, if they had provided bots, improving them using the BF2 bots as a base, that actually would have made it worth purchasing for just SP (not to mention all the other things like practice, system configuration, and so on). I had a lot of fun with the BF2 bots. They were stupid to be sure and nothing like real people (though that in a good way too), it could be a great little diversion in small chunks.

I hope they'll at least let people actually run around in empty servers once the server tools (or whatever) are released. That would be a reasonable way to practice and would remove the chicken-or-egg problem I have with my favorite server now. All it really takes is one or two people to join up, hang around for five or ten minutes and the server fills up, but when it's sitting there at zero and there is absolutely nothing to do if you aren't at the minimum player count, it's spending all its time idle. It's like they expect people to make Battlelog their homepage and just be signed in all the damn time.

It's definitely a case of "we don't have a fucking clue about anything" on DICE's part... or more likely, a ham-fisted attempt to manipulate people into playing BF3 some particular way for whatever end.

14. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 17:01 Aero

I'm noticing the scores are falling as we're getting further away from the 24th.  

8. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 15:15 Aero

Oh, and I would add that I do actually like Battlelog in some ways. I like the stats, groups and friends and all that (bar some ridiculous UI decisions). Basically, it's nice as an additional feature, but I don't like that it's replacing functionality that would be more easily handled in game.

The server browser itself actually isn't a big deal, but the voice comm system is a joke compared to what it ought to be, the squad management doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense, and the whole thing is just clunkier than it ought to be.

Did I mention the voice comms is stupid? They couldn't replicate the work of a dozen developers before them? Couldn't have licensed an off-the-shelf VOIP solution and integrated it directly with the game? All I want it to do is put me in a channel with my current squad mates automatically, whomever they may be at the time.... and let me mute them if I want to.

7. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 15:03 Aero

The Origin bitrate is *definitely* lying. It was telling me I was getting 2.1 MB/s (which my ISP connection is *theoretically* capable of), but this computer is connected to my router over 10Mbps ethernet network, so it's not possible for me to get over 1.25MB/s here.

3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2011, 13:24 Aero

The whole Battlelog thing does just utterly and inexplicably get in the way of what would otherwise be brilliant. It gives the impression that two or three months ago some twit showed up fresh from getting his Web Science degree, spewed a bunch of ridiculous buzzwords and Powerpoint presentations at some suit who then hired him on the spot and gave him full control of the BF3 project.  

766 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo