Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 781 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Solar Struggle
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Solar Struggle Mar 29, 2012, 17:15 Aero

It was looking kind of interesting, but it looks like you're limited to a 2D plain which made me lose interest. It may well be a very good 2.5D shmup though, that's just not my thing.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Project Cars Trailer
5. Re: Project Cars Trailer Mar 26, 2012, 23:38 Aero

Beautiful graphics, physics leave a bit to be desired, but it's improving steadily.  

News Comments > Notch's Space Adventure Plans
18. Re: Notch's Space Adventure Plans Mar 18, 2012, 20:08 Aero

If it's a space sim, I'm interested. Probably.

I got a lot of hope riding on the next X-universe game, and I was getting pretty fed up with X3 and its kin (bland sector cubes with painted backdrops being the real kicker).

The Evochron games are decent. Good community and support. Nails most of the aspects I'd be looking for. It's just, personally, I want fancy graphics and stuff (not that Evochron is bad, just nothing special). That *is* actually pretty important for space games IMO. They need to convince you that you're really there. In the early-mid nineties, space games are what set the benchmark for PC graphics.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking
7. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 01:02 Aero

I don't know anything about it, but I'd rather hoped that Stalker 2 would be the game Stalker was originally supposed to be: one big open world, vehicles (having to scavenge parts to fix them and so on), consistent wildlife and creatures. It definitely *could* be done... just maybe not by them. Don't get me wrong, the first one and the sequels were good games (when they worked, anyways), they were just a severely watered down version of the original vision, and the original vision would make for a pretty cool game.

Honestly, I'd like to see them just pick up an off-the-shelf game engine and build on that rather than rolling their own again. That didn't work out so well, and even after three iterations was still a giant buggy mess. So far as I can tell, they didn't get a lot of return on that investment.

News Comments > Syndicate Solicits Pirates
26. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 25, 2012, 01:27 Aero

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 01:18:
Creston wrote on Feb 25,
Creston [/quote:

Who is she? My sister? I kid, but oddly my sister is in exactly the same spot right now for Sims 3. She picked it up off origin after I warned her not to...still waiting two weeks now. I think she was swearing something about hitting them in small claims come monday if they hadn't given her the product she paid for. Luckily she lives in Quebec.

Probably be a lot easier and more effective to just repudiate the transaction on her credit card. If EA tried to object for some reason, it would be their responsibility to prove they delivered the product, which they haven't. Can't speak to Canada though, and must admit I've only ever had to do this with physical products. I'm not sure what if any difference that makes.

News Comments > Arma 3 Alpha Release Planned
6. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Release Planned Feb 25, 2012, 01:14 Aero

Looking forward to seeing what they do. My biggest gripe with Arma/Arma2 was the overly complicated, sometimes utterly braindead, interface and controls.

It was a big step back from Flashpoint in that regard. Flashpoint had exactly the same issues, of course, but Arma/2 were a lot more complex and so it hurt a lot more. While I appreciate all the control you have over your soldier (fluid lean, rolling, all the various movement speeds), it got to be so that when playing it, I felt more like I was driving a mech than controlling a person.

A good example that annoyed me was the zoom/iron sights. Right-click once to enter a slightly zoomed mode (as with OFP) then hold down the right button to bring up the sights. Then, you gotta do all that in reverse to to get back to the standard view.

While that sounds okay in principle, and I admit that since combat happens at realistic ranges there does need to be some sort of zooming to deal with the four slightly darker-green pixels at the corner of your screen that shoots you between the eyes, it made everything feel so halting and disjointed. I imagine there are key mappings that might help (maybe separate zoom and iron sights buttons as in OFP), but it illustrates the principle.

Basically, I think they need to smooth that (and things like that) out either by cutting down on the number of controls, or finding a way to make it more automatic or context sensitive. It's a difficult problem, and I don't want to see it turned into COD, but I think I do want a little more simplicity. Despite its general clunkiness, I think this sort of thing was better in OFP.

Er, so yeah. They got their work cut out for themselves. More simply put, rather than adding more detail and complexity and features, I want them to refine what's already there, which is plenty.

Squad control was okay though. Team AI more capable of some autonomous behavior would go a long way (like just moving to safety instead of standing there in the open, keenly staring in entirely the wrong direction while getting shot at).

Oh, and sort out the "Oh no.--THREE--Is down.--Move to.--CAR--at--12--o'clock. Negative. Negative. Negative. Negative. Negative."

Long rant for yucks.

News Comments > Syndicate Solicits Pirates
13. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 23:10 Aero

Origin is a pain in the ass. Nothing against it in principle, after all I think Steam is fine. Technically, it's rough and cumbersome. It's just a poor imitation of Steam. Valve had their eye on the ball ten years ago, and now it's paying off because they're a decade ahead of everyone else. I would, however, be uncomfortable if Steam effectively became a monopoly on online game sales, so I'm kinda conflicted there.

Anyways, that isn't why I posted. I went ahead and bought Syndicate anyways because I have a week off and wanted a new first person shooter. And you know, I think it's pretty good actually. Obviously, you need to put aside the fact that it has nothing to do with the first games other than being in the same "universe" (which is pretty slick, so far as those things go... more or less the Sprawl Trilogy).

And, like the reviews say, the plot isn't original or particularly intersting (so far anyways), nor is there a lot of depth to the environment like with, say, Deus Ex. It's just a cyberpunk action shooter. That said, it is considerably more "tactical" than your typical COD shooting gallery. Particularly on the hardest difficulties, you need to consider your environment and maneuver thoughtfully, not just cover-based whack-a-mole crap. The firefights can get pretty intense, and the enemy AI is very good for the most part.

The engine is great and has a lot of the same Starbreeze touches that made the Riddick games so good. It feels physical, like controlling a person rather than flying a floating gun. The cover mechanic works well too. There's none of that 'press a button to enter cover'stuff--if you're crouching behind a wall, and use the iron sights, you'll aim over or around the cover (exactly how it should work, IMO). Overall, the shooting mechanics feel really good--powerful and punchy.

The presentation, aside from a little overzealous application of lens flare (which you can turn off by modifying a config file), is slick too. It has impressively solid graphics and animation, and the sound works really well. The visceralness (is that a word?) of the firefights is right on the money, and has me shrinking back in my seat when I'm crouched behind a wall being raked with enemy fire.

Basically, for a shooter, it's got the mechanics worked out near perfectly.

The primary significant weaknesses are two disappointing bits of consolitis, and this is pushing towards a deal breaker. So far as I can tell, you cannot disable or adjust the default mouse smoothing, which is significant, and so is a serious flaw I hope they fix. It's a little laggy. Secondly, the FOV cannot be adjusted. I like it where it's at myself, generally preferring lower FOVs, but I suspect most PC gamers won't.

My final word, though, despite how surprised I am by how much I'm enjoying it considering it's poor reputation, is that I don't really feel that it's worth $60. It was worth it for me at the time because it happened to be just what I was looking for just when I was looking for it, but if I were weighing my options between different games I wanted, the price would be a deal-breaker. Better to wait for it to come down.

And then, of course, there is the Origin thing.

EDIT: While I was typing that, something to try occurred to me. You can disable the mouse smoothing by unchecking "enhance pointer precision" in your Windows Control Panel mouse settings.

Obviously, this is stupid and it shouldn't be this way, but it does solve the problem.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2012, 23:27.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Feb 11, 2012, 13:22 Aero

I'm not opposed to minor quicktime events like repeatedly pushing a button to pull open a door or the ice climbing bit in COD. It's just the Dragon's Lair style cut-scenes with button mashing that's a problem, like the fist fights in BF3.

And that should be obvious, regardless of whether or not it's a bonus or mandatory. If it doesn't wreck the illusion of controlling my character, I'm fine with it. Otherwise, cut-scenes should just be cut-scenes (and even that is often a cop out).

News Comments > Unity Voxel Deformation Video
3. Re: Unity Voxel Deformation Video Feb 9, 2012, 20:41 Aero

Reminds me of Magic Carpet.  

News Comments > Hitman Profession TMed
5. Re: Hitman Profession TMed Dec 26, 2011, 22:59 Aero

Jerykk wrote on Dec 26, 2011, 22:14:
Facebook game.

That's disturbingly possible.

News Comments > Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost
23. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 15:23 Aero

It's kind of odd that there would be any x87 FPU code in there to begin with. There's not a lot of reasons to use that anymore. Also software that only works properly with optimizations disabled is usually a sign of bad code (though isn't uncommon to see)--fixes bugs that the developer doesn't really understand, but it works, so they leave it be.

Interesting insight to the engine. That said, without any mods or anything, it ran pretty well for me and except for one crash early on has been completely stable for almost 70 hours of play, and only once did I have to load a savegame because an event didn't trigger properly.

News Comments > Cradle Announced
2. Re: Cradle Announced Dec 24, 2011, 14:12 Aero

Looks kind of interesting. Bless the Russians for still making interesting PC games with decent production value. Just gotta keep the bugs in check.  

News Comments > GOG.com Geo-IP Changes
6. Re: GOG.com Geo-IP Changes Dec 23, 2011, 23:17 Aero

So now I would love to know, how do you fool Geo-IP, by some kind of proxy but how would one use it?

One option is to use a VPN service like this one, which can make you appear as though you're coming from a choice of 38 countries.

https://hidemyass.com

(No endorsement, just the first one I found with a quick search).

I have a friend who uses a service like this (though not that one) because he lives on a little Caribbean island and gets shafted otherwise.

edit: Fixed link.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
20. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 19, 2011, 14:38 Aero

Might have to get Amnesia. But seriously, I don't know if I have the balls to play it. For $5, I'll take the chance though.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Dec 4, 2011, 18:13 Aero

Kind of odd what qualifies as a "simulation games" these days, because that was definitely a disappointing list. I hear Ship Simulator Extreme is pretty good though, if that's your thing.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 2, 2011, 22:34 Aero

Hm. 768M of RAM on the CPU die? That seems pretty unlikely.  

News Comments > Flight Beta Signups
1. Re: Flight Beta Signups Dec 2, 2011, 20:42 Aero

"You must enter a valid invitation ID prior to submitting this page."

Far as it wants to go for me.

Update:

Had better luck via this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/#news-beta_program_accepting_applications

News Comments > Sunday Previews
1. Re: Sunday Previews Nov 27, 2011, 16:45 Aero

I gotta say, considering it in isolation from the franchise, I'm actually looking forward to Syndicate and think it could possibly deliver. There is potential there for a solid cybrepunk fps game.  

News Comments > Skyrim and D3D Antilag
1. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 27, 2011, 15:14 Aero

Is this different from just changing the render ahead frames setting in the control panel (as I recall, ATI has a similar setting)? I've found that for anything lag sensitive that doesn't otherwise get a huge framerate, it's best to keep this at 0 or 1.  

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
14. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 14:09 Aero

While I applaud them finally figuring out the way to deal with a problem like piracy is to find a way to adapt to it, it's probably going to be a while before they actually figure out how since the obvious, quality games at reasonable prices, isn't something a company like Ubisoft would consider.

They're going to need a new excuse though, when their online game that cannot be pirated fails anyways (though if you give me something worth paying a monthly fee for, I'll gladly do that).

781 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo