Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 766 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Max Payne 3 DLC Plans Reworked
5. Re: Max Payne 3 DLC Plans Reworked Aug 1, 2012, 09:20 Aero

It's a shame there is no single-player play except for the story mode. I liked that and all, but all the cut scenes make me not willing to replay it to get to the action scenes so much, so just putting me in, say, the airport or office foyer level with respawning waves of enemies would be plenty for me. I find it hard to imagine they couldn't whip that up pretty easily.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Max Payne 3 DLC Plans Reworked
1. Re: Max Payne 3 DLC Plans Reworked Jul 31, 2012, 21:36 Aero

Um... so the Rockstar Pass, which costs $30, saves me 35% on $30 worth of DLC? That can't be right.

edit: Wait... the so the Rockstar Pass *is* the DLC, just all as a lump for $30. I should think before I write. Though I'm still not seeing where the 35% comes in.

Anyways, if in any of this stuff there is a single player mode where you just kill wave after wave of enemies in various environments, I will buy that for sure.

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Grounded
5. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 11:12 Aero

Yeah, this pretty much felt like a step backward from FSX in many (most of?) the important aspects. The only thing it really had going for it was that they seemed to sort out a lot of the graphics-engine issues FSX has: looks like crap, and as a bonus runs like crap... without hours of tweaking and installing add-on scenery.

It's a shame to see it go though, because it might have turned into something good. I kind of doubt X-Plane will ever get the sort of mass behind it that FSX has. Eagle Dynamics have a potentially interesting product in DCS World, but that will probably always be combat focused and it seems like the civil aviation people are the ones that spend the most money on third party content.

News Comments > Mad Catz's Flight Simulator X Add-on Plans
4. Re: Mad Catz's Flight Simulator X Add-on Plans Jul 25, 2012, 07:40 Aero

Seems at this point, they would have been a lot better off delaying a little bit and targeting DCS World.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Future Soldier Patch
1. Re: Ghost Recon Future Soldier Patch Jul 22, 2012, 14:44 Aero

This game is a giant mess. Constant CTDs, MP doesn't work. One of the buggiest games I've come across in a while.

Stay the hell away until (if) they patch it.

edit: "patch it" refers to the next patch (1.4) and if it does what it's supposed to. Given that it has taken them this long to patch these relatively trivial (though, of course, crucial) things that should have been obvious in testing, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for the more technical flaws they're "investigating" for 1.4 being sorted any time soon.

If it worked, the game would be decent enough. Worth picking up in a good sale at some point.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2012, 15:00.

News Comments > Sunday Previews
2. Re: Sunday Previews Jul 15, 2012, 22:12 Aero

It's a shame Splinter Cell is continuing down the Conviction route (even if it does pull back a little). I was just thinking a week or so ago how good the first Splinter Cell was, and I picked up Conviction when I saw it in the Steam sale, and it's really just not the same at all.  

News Comments > Brick-Force Launches
3. Re: Brick-Force Launches Jul 12, 2012, 23:21 Aero

I could maybe see it being cool with large, fully destructible levels, real time physics (blocks flying and bouncing around), and ridiculous weapons with fast combat. Doesn't really seem to be the case unfortunately.  

News Comments > Max Payne 3 DLC Next Month
3. Re: Max Payne 3 DLC Next Month Jun 27, 2012, 22:39 Aero

MP3 could really use a SP survival mode. Take some of the set pieces from the single player game, throw the player in there and throw waves of enemies at them.

I really liked the SP game, but I'm not getting my replay value out of it because of all the cut scenes. The thing is, I do want to play more of it because the action itself is good fun, but there's too much crap in the way in the normal SP game.

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC Issues
18. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC Issues Jun 27, 2012, 14:44 Aero

So, other than that, is it any good? For some reason, largely due to boredom and some cash to burn, I decided I was going to buy either this or Spec Ops (knowing full well neither was going to be particularly good) and the couple reviews I read pushed me towards Spec Ops and it is so far, as I expected, good enough for me to play and have some fun with, but very thoroughly mediocre in the grand scheme of things.

There's a good bet I'll end up buying this one eventually too though, because there really isn't much in the way of upcoming action games for the PC until winter. It's just a question of how soon.

News Comments > DCS: P-51D Mustang Trailer
8. Re: DCS: P-51D Mustang Trailer Jun 24, 2012, 18:39 Aero

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:41:
Wildone wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:08:
its cool n all but I dont see the point..you fly around in..the..crimea..?!? and..do what..exactly...? 0_0
Did you actually watch the video? They appeared to be engaging German aircraft. I also thought this was odd (a WW2 aircraft placed into a modern setting) but it looks as though they're at least providing enemy aircraft to dogfight.

No, I'm pretty sure those are just other P-51's they're fighting. Certainly there is nothing but P-51's in there now, and last I heard there were no plans to add any contemporary opponents. Surely modders will take care of it eventually though. There are already screenshots of modded 190's floating around (likely P-51D physics with 190 models, but that's better than nothing).

It is indeed a lovely simulation of the P-51D, but there isn't a whole lot to do with it yet.

News Comments > 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo
20. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 23, 2012, 01:24 Aero

I thought we got over the whole synthetic benchmark thing years ago anyways.  

News Comments > Tex Murphy - Project Fedora Funded
1. Re: Tex Murphy - Project Fedora Funded Jun 11, 2012, 20:01 Aero

That's good news. I only ever played Under a Killing Moon, and I don't remember it all that well except that the 3D graphics were really impressive for the time and I liked the characters.

Actually, as I recall, I rented it from the video store... back in the FMV days (when most games were crap), but were mostly impossible to pirate because a typical hard drive was smaller than a CD and there were no consumer writers. That lasted about a year.

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
59. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 15:45 Aero

Free-to-Play, as it tends to be implemented, could very well kill gaming for people like me. I'm happy to pay for content, and games like Rise of Flight have a good free to play model where the base product with two planes is free but you can buy additional planes. I've probably put at least $100 into that and don't feel ripped off at all. A thoroughly researched, well modeled and simulated airplane is something I don't mind paying for. They put a lot of effort into making something, and I pay them for that effort. It's perfectly natural.

Other games though, where you're paying for what amounts to changing a few variables to increase the stats on some weapon or something are not at all for me. It doesn't matter if you don't have to pay and can earn it through grinding or some other mechanism, the game will be designed around getting people to pay out a little bit at a time, to make it inconvenient not to do so.

I don't want that shit infecting my game play. I will happily pay up front, or pay a subscription, or pay for new REAL content, but I want a game that is designed primarily to entertain me, not engineered by some psychologist to manipulate me into paying out bit by bit with little promises of entertainment to come.

It will be interesting to see how bad this gets. Selling addiction can be pretty good business.

News Comments > WatchDogs Announced
57. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 20:19 Aero

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:28:
I assumed it was just another segment of the single-player game; it wouldn't be the first time you're bouncing between several characters throughout a story campaign. You're right though, that would make for some interesting multiplayer.

That's an intersting idea. Now, what if your player model was randomly assigned and there was no way to tell an NPC from a player aside from how they acted (so good players would blend in with NPCs), and you were all sent to the same place for related but different, possibly conflicting, reasons.

There are some definite possibilities there. Who knows though.

edit: Think I quoted the wrong part of that, but you get the idea.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3
42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 3, 2012, 15:51 Aero

In the end, I think the biggest problem is that Max's controls aren't that good. Compared to other cover-and-roll third person shooters like Gears of War and such, it's kind of awkward. There's a lot of GTA-ness in there, where completing the animation is more important than fluid control, and the animations don't transition very well. Max has to stop and recover to a neutral position after every move so the next one can begin, which often leaves you standing up straight like an idiot in the middle of a hallway when your intention was to roll out of cover on one side and enter cover on the other.

I think there's a little too much emphasis on graphics there. If making the controls fluid means fudging the animations sometimes, so be it. Difficulty through awkward controls is pretty much the fundamental video game design sin.

That said, it's not all that bad, but given the polish and effort expended everywhere else, you figure they could have done a better job with the controls.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 2, 2012, 13:09 Aero

That's interesting. I actually have the opposite problem with mouse sensitivity. I had to rejigger the DPI of my mouse, and even then I have to use a setting of only 2 of 10. 1 is a little too slow, but 3 is too fast. A more finely grained setting would be useful. I do see some people complaining about mouse lag on the forums. I don't get though, so that could be a configuration thing.

You don't have to use the enter key in menus actually, the "(Esc) Back" and "(Enter) Accept" text in the bottom right corner are clickable to perform their respective functions, as are the menu options themselves. They are a little out of the way though.

Some of the keys are a little hard to get at for sure, like "G" for vault, which is too far a reach for a movement control with WASD. I had to do a little re-binding, using extra mouse buttons for things like bullet-time and using that (the shift) key for vault, etc.

It certainly took some fiddling, but I got it set up pretty well in the end.

All other points I'm in agreement with though. I haven't tried multiplayer, but I didn't really anticipate this being any good in multiplayer anyways. There's no way to implement bullet time without forcing non-bullet time people to just play in slow motion, which would definitely grow tiresome.

edit: Oh, I don't agree on the turd part. I like it.

I also think it's an excellent port, but it *IS* nevertheless still a port. The basic design of the entire series has been pretty close to console games.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 2, 2012, 11:43 Aero

I think I figured out what I don't like about the cut scenes. It's not really the frequency or length that's the problem, it's that they usually end by dropping you into the middle of a firefight. Unlike in previous games, there's no option to approach a room full of bad guys, assess the situation and come up with a plan of attack, which was kind of the fun part... like: I'm gonna dive through the door, take out the guys to the left, roll behind that table and then dive out backwards while gunning down the rest of the guys. Instead it's, "oh fuck, I'm suddenly in the middle of a room with an unknown layout and a bunch of guys shooting at me, better just dive around randomly like an idiot trying to get headshots."

Granted, that's not always the case, but it does often eliminate one aspect of the fun. I did just, however, read on a board that in the 360 version you can pause the game and pan the camera around. I haven't tried to do anything like that in the PC version, and that could be a barely adequate substitute.

All this really is nitpicking though, and I'm glad that I'm analyzing suboptimal, fairly minor, aspects of gameplay rather than glaringly obvious implementation flaws or giant design failures.

Really, I think it's pretty damn good and I'm quite enjoying it. Anyone tried "Arcade Mode" yet and know what that is? I figured I'd leave that for after the story mode, but if it's something like small levels with endless waves of badguys, that could actually be pretty cool.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 2, 2012, 00:07 Aero

So far, I think it's pretty damn good, actually. No port problems aside from the mouse sensitivity being a little wonky in menus (fine in game though). Very slick presentation and all that, which you'd expect from Rockstar.

There are indeed a lot of cut scenes. I'm not real sure what to think about that yet (and you can't really relax while they're playing because you just all off a sudden have control and have to start shooting folks) but the combat is Max Payne in the classic sense all over but with some refinements and additions, which seem to work well. I haven't been in a big enough gunfight yet and comfortable enough with the controls to really flex the bullet time and try to artfully murder a room full of bad guys John Woo style, so I haven't made a final judgment on that yet. All the pieces are in place for it though.

Graphics are impressive and the performance is silky smooth with maximum settings (except MSAA because it didn't seem to be necessary, really) on a GTX 580 and 2600K @4.4. There seem to be enough graphics options so that people with lower-end systems could probably find a good mix.

The Social Club thing isn't a big deal. It's entirely in-game, not a separate program like it was in GTA4. Seems like a very minor annoyance at worst.

Anyways, I think if you were considering buying it, you should probably pull the trigger without too much concern. Of course, I can't speak to length. Hopefully it's not just 4 hours long or something.

ed: Oh, a thought I had on the cut scenes. It's definitely not like MGS. The individual cut scenes aren't very long at all mostly, it's just that there are a lot of them. For instance, you'll arrive at a door and then a cut scene will automatically play of Max opening the door and confronting a bunch of bad guys, and then you get control and have to start shooting. When the bad guys are dead, you go to the next door, and so on. Too much of this will be constraining, and since I'm only about an hour in, it's difficult to say how much of it is exposition and tutorial and how much will continue in the rest of the game. If it continues as it is now, that would be a significant down side. Not a deal breaker for sure, just a poor choice of design. I don't like control being taken away that frequently. It pulls you out of the character, and getting inside the character is what video games can do like nothing else can.

Further Edit: After another hour or so, it's clear the cut scenes are going to continue that way. It's not terrible, but there's too many of them. Also, because they split things up, there aren't actually large levels per se. There's a cutscene, then a gunfight in a setpiece (like a bar, or a lobby etc.), then another cut scene and so on. Not really sure what I think about that, but I don't think I like it that much. That's really how most games work though, but instead of setpieces connected by hallways or something, they're connected by cutscenes.

Brilliant ragdoll effect and death animations though. It's pretty satisfying to riddle an enemy with bullets. I waste a lot of ammo just to watch them wiggle around and fall down the stairs or whatever.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2012, 02:04.

News Comments > Updated Max Payne 3 PC Specs & Release Date
12. Re: Updated Max Payne 3 PC Specs & Release Date May 25, 2012, 23:48 Aero

I believe both consoles have 256 megs of video memory. So 4x larger would be pretty typical for a PC.  

News Comments > Free Radical on LucasArts and Battlefront III
7. Re: Free Radical on LucasArts and Battlefront III<br> A <a href= May 5, 2012, 17:28 Aero

It is amazing how they went from one of the best early PC game developers (starting with games having nothing to do with Lucas's IP, like Maniac Mansion, Battle of Britain, SWOTL, LOOM, Sam and Max, etc.) to one of the most reviled IP cash-in shops at almost exactly the same time the prequels were released. They *were* one of the greatest studios of all time.

I bet you there's a really interesting story to what happened at Lucasarts between about 1997 and 2000.

766 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo