Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 758 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully
2. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 7, 2012, 22:17 Aero

Um, how much flash do you really need to save the configuration settings? 512K flash ic's cost about $0.50 and I can't imagine why you would even need anywhere near that much. Granted, those little things add up, but I don't really buy that as an excuse.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Roberts on PC Star Citizen
30. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 4, 2012, 12:37 Aero

Yeah, I kind of want it to be spelled out just exactly what Star Citizen is going to be. Obviously there is confusion about this so it needs to be sorted out. If Roberts doesn't really know yet, that's fine, but it would be nice to have harder distinctions.

To be honest, I'm reading it like this: For single-player and dedicated servers, it's going to be a mission-based space combat game like Wing Commander. The online, MMO portion will be a sandbox space sim like Privateer. The thing is, the phrase "space sim" used to be applied to all of these things because "simulator" really just used to mean a game with 3D graphics (as opposed to a 2D scroller). Typically in common usage, "space sim" these days refers to a sandbox, Privateer-style game. That's hardly universal though, and "space simulation" generically is certainly an adequate description of a mission-based game.

I hope I'm wrong though. I really don't want an MMO, let alone a micro-transaction-based MMO. If, as some people are saying, the whole MMO infrastructure will be released as a dedicated server so we can run our own private universes alone or with particular friends and no micro-transactions, that would be awesome, but that seems like a questionable business move. It could work, but it seems awkward.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Nov 1, 2012, 11:53 Aero

Any bots to practice/learn/screw around with, or is it trial by fire?  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Patched
14. Re: Borderlands 2 Patched Oct 26, 2012, 15:24 Aero

I have to say I was pretty disappointed in the progression aspect in Borderlands 2. I like, in games like this where you develop your character, where you feel a lot more powerful at the higher levels. There isn't really all that much difference in weak and strong here. The guns are largely the same except they do more damage points. Fighting high level enemies with a high level character isn't much different from fighting low level enemies with a low level character (in fact, I seemed to be having more fun in the lower levels--though that could just be down to the novelty).

Anyways, the way your character and weapons rank up and the enemies rank up all seems to just come out in the wash. I'd prefer it if in the higher levels you faced huge swarms of low level enemies as well as high level enemies so that I could feel more like a proper badass.

News Comments > Roberts Space Industries Website Back
11. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 20:41 Aero

It will be highly disappointing if it's an MMO-only affair so far as exploring/trading/etc are concerned. A space sim is all about the suspension of disbelief, and that will never be achievable in an MMO. There are just too many idiots and sociopaths in the world for that to work. It doesn't take all that many halfwits, flying around in circles firing their lasers randomly and trying to ram any passing ship to ruin a game.

I'd also hate to see all this work tied to something that needs to make a continuous profit in order to operate. There is a reason there aren't a lot of space sims around these days, and it's not just because Mr. Roberts was off making movies. How's Jumpgate Evolution coming along? Oh, right.

I don't mean to sound too negative, because this whole thing is still pretty good news, but if so much potential awesomeness were mishandled, it would be one of the greater tragedies of PC gaming history. Moreover, the presentation of Chris Roberts wanting to do things properly, his way, to make a proper PC game, just doesn't jive with the concept of a micro-transaction supported MMO. Traditional publishers seem to be all about throwing money at that sort of thing these days.

I'll still throw $60 his way though, just to see what happens. If all that I get out of it in the end is a Wing Commander style mission-based game, I certainly wouldn't have wasted my money. It will just hurt a bit longing for what might have been.

News Comments > Roberts Space Industries Website Back
1. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 15:46 Aero

I'm still not really clear on this from everything I've read.

If the non-MMO, SP portion is strictly a campaign, then I'm not really all that interested (interested enough to buy it when its out, but not enough to "invest" in it). If the entire universe is available offline (or, at least without the presence of other human players and micro-transactions) for an Elite/Privateer style space sim, then I'm all in. I'm also not real clear on how the dedicated servers fit. Are those for the instanced battles, of for running a separate universe (a la Freelancer)?

The previews and interviews seem to sort of dance around these topics.

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
5. Re: Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced Oct 10, 2012, 11:01 Aero

Verklempt. That is all.  

News Comments > DCS: UH-1H Huey Announced
11. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Announced Oct 9, 2012, 20:36 Aero

The terrain is definitely the biggest weakness of the DCS series. The new terrain engine features for Nevada look good, but deserts are pretty easy to do. I suspect we won't see any decent third party terrain for quite a while, though there is certainly plenty of talent out there working on FSX, which obviously can't last forever.

This will be especially painful for a transport helicopter like the UH-1H. Dropping off some cardboard cutout soldiers in a big perfectly flat field will only be so entertaining.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DCS: P-51D Mustang
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - DCS: P-51D Mustang Oct 9, 2012, 00:09 Aero

It definitely is a lovely simulation of the P-51D but until they get some other WW2 aircraft in there to dogfight with, it's kind of pointless. I bought it when the beta became available, had a lovely time learning its systems and how to fly it, but now I don't have much use for it. It's not even like the A-10C or KA-50 where learning to just operate the systems will entertain you for weeks or months because it's such a relatively simple aircraft. A weekend or two will do it.

I don't really regret buying it (for what it is, it's fantastic), but for people possibly interested I would say put it on the back burner until they put in enough content to match it with so you can fly even remotely interesting missions.

edit: Oh, perhaps I should clarify for those that don't know. It's a simulation of the P-51D, but you fly it in modern Georgia, and all the other planes and vehicles are modern. So it's P-51's versus Su-27's or air-to-ground missions trying to evade SAMs and Shilkas.

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier DLC Announced
3. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier DLC Announced Oct 2, 2012, 20:22 Aero

Did they ever sort out the crashing bugs? I was actually enjoying the SP campaign, but at some point it started crashing every five minutes and I gave up. I'd almost forgotten about this, and they have released a bunch of patches, so maybe I ought to try picking it up again.

Boy, it was crap on release though.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 1, 2012, 23:05 Aero

"NBA 2K13 Executive Produced by Jay Z"

wtf

News Comments > Miner Wars 2081 Enters Closed Beta
5. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Enters Closed Beta Sep 26, 2012, 18:09 Aero

I've been a little unclear on what this is all about, which has prevented me from buying into it. Does it take place primarily in tunnels in asteroids? They mention an open-world aspect, but does that mean you can travel about the solar system?

I like some of what I hear and have seen, but it does seem to keep coming back to a Descent-style tunnel shooter. I never cared much for Descent (first three), but if the tunnel fighting is one aspect of a more varied space sim experience, that's okay. Are there missions taking place in free space?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 13, 2012, 14:36 Aero

Oh, that reminds me. Anybody remember a site called Psycho News? Somehow, from that site when it went under, I switched to Blue's News. I remember thinking there was some relation between them or something, but it's all pretty hazy.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 13, 2012, 14:04 Aero

I think Aces Hardware is the only defunct tech site I miss at all. In a time when every self proclaimed expert started a tech site from their bedroom, they had actual engineers.  

News Comments > More Chris Roberts Game Teasing
15. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 10, 2012, 23:09 Aero

In the grand scheme of things, the Wing Commander movie was bad, granted, but all things considered I was actually fairly impressed. I was expecting much, much worse. There are definitely worse directors out there that somehow get to keep making films.

The "connected experience" part makes me think MMO. I'd really rather that wasn't the case. With space sims, I get to play out my fantasies about being Han Solo and get immersed in the universe. Frankly, nothing wrecks immersion more than a bunch of other people. It *could* be awesome with other people, but it won't be and there isn't really anything anyone can do about it.

Dedicated servers supporting high player counts (128+) would be ideal though. Then it could be little communities.

News Comments > More Chris Roberts Game Teasing
6. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 10, 2012, 21:45 Aero

Man, if this turns out to be something stupid like some self-indulgent Molyneux masturbation I will be very upset.

I don't think so though. I have more and more hope.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
34. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 19:17 Aero

Freelancer was good. It just didn't live up to the hype and it could have been better. It pretty much turned out to just be a great game instead of the all time classic we (up to a point in development, anyways) anticipated.

If this thing, whatever it is, turns out to be a space sim in the same style (not a mission based shooter)... it will be hard to wait for.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
13. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 10, 2012, 15:23 Aero

Not getting my hopes up. Not getting my hopes up. Not getting my hopes up. Not getting my hopes up. Not getting my hopes up. Not getting my hopes up...  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC I Am Alive
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC I Am Alive Sep 7, 2012, 11:15 Aero

Heh, yeah I just watched the E3 trailers. I don't know what game that is, but it's not this one. The plot isn't even remotely the same except for the catastrophe thing. Looks pretty good though.

edit: That said, I'm liking it enough to play through it, and some bits of it are quite good, so it's worth my $15.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC I Am Alive
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC I Am Alive Sep 7, 2012, 10:10 Aero

I bought it. It's okay. I like what they were trying to do as it's fairly unique, but the execution is pretty mediocre.

I think it's worth $15 though. It's a no frills but solid enough port. I've read other people having some complaints about re-mapping certain controls and some people have mouse lag or issues, though that's fine for me. It's probably best played with a controller.

758 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo