Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 772 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Son of Nor's Brain Computer Interface
3. Re: Son of Nor's Brain Computer Interface May 13, 2013, 14:34 Aero

The image on his screen looks a little canny, like it was added in post. Maybe not.

Also... It looks like he's mostly actually working the thing by manipulating his head and facial muscles (watch his eyebrows raise and lower, his jaw clench, etc.). That's okay I suppose, because it's probably best to have some sort of action or something in mind when you calibrate it for a specific button press. All the same, way too gimmicky for me, but you gotta start somewhere. It's not hard to imagine the technology improving over the coming years and decades to the point where you perform complex and precise actions with it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Watch_Dogs Footage
7. Re: More Watch_Dogs Footage May 13, 2013, 11:57 Aero

In the demo, it looks like when he's driving there is only ever one or two hackable targets in range at any one time, so auto-aim is probably just a matter of cycling between a small number of elements.  

News Comments > Hellraid Trailer
8. Re: Hellraid Trailer May 8, 2013, 19:30 Aero

Boy, this could definitely go either way. I liked Dead Island a lot despite its faults, but Riptide ended up being a little too samey for me. Given that, though, the basic hack-and-slash mechanics of their engine are fairly well done, so this could end up being a winner.

For some reason the trailer makes me think of Witchaven from back when, which I thought was great at the time.

News Comments > Call of Juarez Gunslinger Trailer
2. Re: Call of Juarez Gunslinger Trailer May 6, 2013, 20:09 Aero

I suspect I'm going to pick it up. As I remember, so far as first person shooters in general go, BOB was actually pretty poor. The western setting made it stand out enough for me to like it. Maybe that won't be enough this time (I'm certainly not blown away by the trailers I've seen so far), but it could be.

This also got me thinking (probably not the first with the same idea), Far Cry 3's engine could make for a splendid cowboy fps. Ahem... could even just reskin FC3 a bit, thow in silly plot and some simple cut scenes, sell it for $15, and I'd be all over it.

News Comments > Morning Patches
8. Re: Morning Patches Apr 25, 2013, 19:48 Aero

After putting a solid couple weeks into it (and more including the previous couple major releases), I started losing interest because it got too samey--especially the combat against the AI. I know there is a deeper, more interesting game in there somewhere, but I don't think I have the patience to put up with the clunkier bits to ever get there.

A completely new interface (particularly for navigation), more interesting enemy AI, and generally a more lively universe would take this one far. It's almost, but just not QUITE there.

That said, it's pretty much the best thing currently going in this genre, at least until X-Rebirth, Elite4, and Star Citizen (maybe, depending on what that turns out to be) are released.

News Comments > Zeno Clash 2 Punchthrough Trailer
1. Re: Zeno Clash 2 Punchthrough Trailer Apr 25, 2013, 18:08 Aero

Looks pretty good. I liked the first one, but never finished it. Lack of polish and some wonkiness to the gameplay made me put it down despite its strengths. This looks like they've done a really good job with first-person fist fighting. Only worry is that it could get repetitive. If your character grows, learns new moves, and by the end you can Bruce Lee an entire room full of thugs, I'll be all over it.

Looks like it could have worked out well in a martial arts setting too. Maybe Jackie Chan style with lots of contextual environmental attacks.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide Apr 24, 2013, 15:50 Aero

So far it is definitely better than the first one. Not much better, mind you, but better. In that regard, I'm not understanding the reviews at all.

I suspect over the coming weeks, when we start seeing the reviews not written by the usual suspects, the reviews scores will start to creep up. High 7's or low 8's sounds about right to me... unless of course it falls apart three hours into it or something.

Also, I noticed like the first one, it launches in "Below Normal" priority, so you need to alt-tab out and increase the priority in Task Manager to get better performance. I figured they would have sorted that one. Makes you wonder if the code-base isn't effectively untouched.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide Apr 24, 2013, 08:55 Aero

Well, let me put it this way. I had no idea it came with the DLC until after I bought it, and only then noticed it had also given me a key for the DLC. I'd gone to GMG assuming it had already been released (I bought it last night--and since it was already released on Steam, I didn't figure I was pre-ordering it), so it was a surprise to me when GMG said the release date was the 26th. I was actually about to cancel my pre-order until I realized the codes had showed up in my list, so I just used those in Steam and downloaded it.

Now that you mention what is in the DLC though, I suppose I am glad I got it because of the leveling thing (seeing as how the skills seem identical to the first one).

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide Apr 24, 2013, 03:21 Aero

Krovven wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 00:45:
Aero wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 00:36:
apparently you get the pre-order DLC too. I have no idea what that is. Probably nothing intersting.

I don't understand this.

Why wouldn't you look to see what you are getting when buying something?

Because it just came with it. I didn't know I had it until I looked up my keys. It's cheaper than on Steam alone anyways. Seems to me that it just gives you a more powerful weapon to use once the game proper starts. Not really a big deal. I also started with 15XP, and I'm not sure if that's part of the DLC thingy or just the way it goes (since I already earned eall that stuff in the first one, it's just being a little closer to where I finished off the first one.

At any rate, two hours in, and I'm liking it just the same as I like the first one. The graphics are perhaps minorly better, but otherwise it's the same game with the same characters in a new setting. As I mentioned before, this is okay with me since I enjoyed the first one.

I think, for me at least, it will have been money well spent. I don't know how it woks out length-wise, but if I enjoy it for 20+ hours like I did the first, I'm well satisfied with my purchase.

This is all a little premature though, as I only set fot on the island a few minutes before I was too tired and it was bed time.

As Is aid in the last thread, it's a hard game to gauge. The reviews are right in their complaints, but the scores seem artificially low. It's not a 4/10 game. I'd personally give it a 7 or an 8.

It probably appeals to a certain subset of the population. I'm not a big zombie fan, but it works here, and the challenging (though admittedlysometimes frustrating) combat, combined with the exploration and crafting, it just works out to be a good time. Like the first, I'll forget it the moment I'm done, but while I'm playing it, I'm having a good time.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide Apr 24, 2013, 00:36 Aero

Yeah, he standard GMG discount code works, and since it thinks the release is the 26th (you can still activate on Steam immediately though), apparently you get the pre-order DLC too. I have no idea what that is. Probably nothing intersting.

For $32, though, I bit. Given the time and enjoyment I had with the first one, I'm looking forward to the same with this one. Hopefully.

True, it *could* be so much more, but what it is is good enough for me. Here's hoping a proper sequel with the kinks worked out, a better plot, and more cohesion comes along one day. It really does have the potential to be a wonderful game.

Sort of reminds me of Boiling Point in that respect, which on paper seemed like one of the best games ever, and had some truly brilliant ideas and hilarious characters and dialog (though maybe not intentionally). Didn't pan out in practice though. I understand they totally screwed up the sequel, White Gold, (which I never tried), which is a shame. DI is definitely better than that, it similarly just doesn't live up to the concept as well as it could.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Apr 22, 2013, 14:15 Aero

This is definitely a hard one to guage I really enjoyed the first one. I agree with everything negative every review said about it, but somehow I found it to be a wonderful time-waster and though there was nothing memorable about it, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

More of the same would be okay by me... a disappointment, because they should have improved on its weaknesses with the time and money they spent... but I'm probably going to still buy it during the next lull in the game supply. I'd maybe even pay the full $40 for it.

12. Re: Game Reviews Apr 8, 2013, 15:15 Aero

KSP is on on my short list of favorite games of all time. I bought it about six months ago, played for a few days and then force myself to put it down.

I'm waiting for the 'game' part to be finished because I don't want to spoil it too much. It's really, really hard to wait, though. Especially since I have a feeling it's going to be a while yet.

5. Re: Game Reviews Apr 5, 2013, 19:19 Aero

Yeah, I think I'd agree that was about the point where I switched from exploration mode to 'on a mission' mode, which I suppose is how the plot pacing was intended to go. Once everything's going to hell, fire is raining all around, and Elizabeth is screaming for vengeance, it's not really a suitable time to ask her to wait for a minute while you poke around in a garbage can to see if there's any hotdogs or something in there.  

1. Re: Game Reviews Apr 5, 2013, 13:10 Aero

I've seen a few reviews claiming BI was too short. I clocked 21 hours on my playthrough, which is damn long by modern standards. I wasn't excessively exploring either, but I definitely was doing some exploring.

I do suppose that if you were constantly hitting 'n' to draw an arrow towards where you're meant to go, and just sprinting in that direction, you could probably finish it in five or six hours. If that's the way you played it though, you are *definitely* doing it wrong.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Mar 30, 2013, 12:27 Aero

I kind of liked Syndicate. It wasn't great, and wasn't really Syndicate, but it was a pretty solid shooter. For $5 I'd say it's well worth it.

I think part of it's problem was that, due to Origin being weird or whatever, it took forever to for it to go on any decent kind of sale.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Raspberry Pi Mar 3, 2013, 22:08 Aero

That kind of depends on your purposes. When it's not connected to a network to set the clock at boot, Make doesn't work properly without a real time clock (because the file dates are all out of whack). There are, of course, ways around this (which I had to resort to--it loads the time off a separate MCU over the UART). But, as I stated, this isn't really a failing of the Pi per se, as it isn't really made for that sort of thing. I've also found leaving it connected to a LAN for any length of time leads to instability, which will presumably be sorted in software.

Genesys wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 19:21:
I guess they had to make a lot of hard choices to get the price as low as it is. That probably includes dropping an RTC (which is unneeded on the B, and would push the price of the A pretty close to the B), and using the Broadcom SOC. I'd get one, but I don't know what I'd do with it.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Raspberry Pi Mar 3, 2013, 18:48 Aero

I can't fault the Pi much for $25, but the choice of the Broadcom chip is really infuriating. To be fair, it's impressively fast for graphics, but for something that is supposed to be a "hackable" learning platform, using an SOC from a company that doesn't freely publish datasheets for their products is highly questionable.

Something like a Beagleboard is a much better choice for hobbyist projects or getting pseudo dev-boards on the cheap.

I'd also have paid another $5 for a real time clock. That would have been nice, and probably not all that unreasonable since I don't actually see Pi's being used for their true lofty educational purposes.

Sorry about the rant. They really are nice little boards, I just made a bad decision about six months ago and now I'm married to it. My fault, really.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's REDengine3 Details - The Witcher 3 Image?
8. Re: CD Projekt RED's REDengine3 Details - The Witcher 3 Image? Feb 1, 2013, 12:15 Aero

pagb wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 09:30:
The technology uses high-dynamic-range rendering with 64-bit precision that ensures
64-bit only? Finally someone made the step! Me likey

That's actually not referring to "64-bit" in the sense that you're reading it. This is more along the lines of using 64-bit quantities when calculating what color a pixel ought to be.

edit: Oh, unless that's how you were reading it. Then, nevermind.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 End Game Trailer
6. Re: Battlefield 3 End Game Trailer Jan 31, 2013, 23:36 Aero

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 21:24:
Not looking forward to random people blowing up said dirtbikes and jets on my own team, but that's multiplayer these days.

It's a real shame they didn't put bots in there like the earlier BF games so that you could play single player or with just a few friends in multiplayer while still having a large scale battle. Even though the AI was pretty terrible, that was still a lot of fun in BF2. I'm sure they could have done a decent job of it if they put their mind to it.

My enjoyment of the online scene lasted all of about a week after the initial release. Bad as the AI was in BF2, it was still better and more fun to play with than The Children. It's a shame because it's fundamentally a cool good game. With enough of the right bunch of people it can be pretty epic.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 24, 2013, 20:56 Aero

I'd say JJ Abrams is probably actually the best choice of whats available. He is strong precisely where the prequels were weak: they took themselves too seriously and forgot about the whole 'fun space adventure' aspect. I do suspect he'll probably try to take it too far in that direction though.

They couldn't possible be worse than the prequels. George Lucas isn't even a bad director, he's just not any kind of a director

772 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo