Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 714 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 3 End Game Trailer
6. Re: Battlefield 3 End Game Trailer Jan 31, 2013, 23:36 Aero

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 21:24:
Not looking forward to random people blowing up said dirtbikes and jets on my own team, but that's multiplayer these days.

It's a real shame they didn't put bots in there like the earlier BF games so that you could play single player or with just a few friends in multiplayer while still having a large scale battle. Even though the AI was pretty terrible, that was still a lot of fun in BF2. I'm sure they could have done a decent job of it if they put their mind to it.

My enjoyment of the online scene lasted all of about a week after the initial release. Bad as the AI was in BF2, it was still better and more fun to play with than The Children. It's a shame because it's fundamentally a cool good game. With enough of the right bunch of people it can be pretty epic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 24, 2013, 20:56 Aero

I'd say JJ Abrams is probably actually the best choice of whats available. He is strong precisely where the prequels were weak: they took themselves too seriously and forgot about the whole 'fun space adventure' aspect. I do suspect he'll probably try to take it too far in that direction though.

They couldn't possible be worse than the prequels. George Lucas isn't even a bad director, he's just not any kind of a director

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jan 23, 2013, 16:07 Aero

I'm liking Strike Suit Zero so far.  

News Comments > Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode
6. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode Jan 21, 2013, 21:35 Aero

nin wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 20:49:
and weird stuff it put in my Windows startup list without asking.

What was it? I've not installed it yet. Was it via the steam version, or a download directly from them?

Oh, nothing really especially shady, and certainly not nefarious. It was probably the result of a bug with the installation process (version downloaded from their site) but, my startup list has an entry called:

{a8959312-9179-420b-a900-1fd74ad5f68d}

from "Unknown" manufacturer, pointing to my 'Downloads' folder, to execute: "MinerWars_TEST_01_088_000_Setup.exe /cmdloc "HKCU\Software\Keen Software House AiTemp\{a8959312-9179-420b-a900-1fd74ad5f68d}""

Which I had deleted after running the setup program. Definitely didn't make me happy when I first saw it though, making me satisfy myself it wasn't itself, or the result of, something nasty. I imagine it has something to do with their do-it-yourself, not-DRM, DRM.

edit: Oh, and obviously, to be fair, that was from the beta installation (though only about a week or so before the final was released).

News Comments > Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode
3. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Adds Offline Mode Jan 21, 2013, 20:46 Aero

I just couldn't get into this one. I wanted to like it, but it just wasn't much fun. It's like a tech demo (and a not really all that impressive one) half-heartedly converted into a game. Also it seemed kind of shady due to the annoying DRM and weird stuff it put in my Windows startup list without asking.  

News Comments > Storm Brewing at Starbreeze
12. Re: Storm Brewing at Starbreeze Jan 21, 2013, 16:39 Aero

Crustacean Soup wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 16:28:
Aero wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 15:57:
It's getting to the point where I couldn't care less about another Unreal Engine, flying a floating gun, first person shooter regardless of how well it's executed.
I thought player movement in Dishonored was pretty good

That's true, Dishonored did do that pretty well. It's funny how most games neglect that, yet in my view it's one of the most important aspects of a first person shooter.

News Comments > Storm Brewing at Starbreeze
9. Re: Storm Brewing at Starbreeze Jan 21, 2013, 15:57 Aero

I actually think Starbreeze has the best FPS engine currently going. Syndicate, despite it's overall conceptual and artistic flaws, did the gameplay details really well: Good sense of player movement, above average AI, the cover system worked really well, and the weapon handling and shooting was excellent.

It's getting to the point where I couldn't care less about another Unreal Engine, flying a floating gun, first person shooter regardless of how well it's executed.

News Comments > New Evochron Mercenary
12. Re: New Evochron Mercenary Jan 18, 2013, 20:17 Aero

Overall I like it (largely because it doesn't have much in the way of competition these days), but it is definitely let down by the VERY clunky UI. As stated previously, that's very nearly a deal-breaker by itself. You get used to it, though, and it's functional once you learn all its idiosyncrasies, but it should be much, much better.

I also agree that the factions have no character to make you really care one way or the other about them.

My biggest gripe is with the combat AI. They never attempt to close the distance or press an advantage, so battles always end up the same: you thruster up to high speed, and then slowly maneuver to pick them off one by one at the extreme range of your weapons while trying to stay out of their gun range and picking off their missiles. It's much more like capital ship combat than fighter combat. Quite frankly, I think I'd like it to be a little more arcade-like in this regard. I like realism generally, but the Newtonian model kind of just presses home the fact that space "fighters" aren't really on as a realistic thing. Nonetheless, that's what I want. I'm willing to give up some realism for that...or, alternatively, more realism, and model g-force effects on the pilot, which would put severe limits on how the ships could change direction and accelerate. I'm not sure if this would work, but it might.

All that said, the real die-hard fans are mostly in it for the multi-player, which bypasses a lot of these issues.

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Sequel Confirmed?
5. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Sequel Confirmed? Dec 20, 2012, 21:27 Aero

Arrange to use the Far Cry 3 engine, go back toward the roots of the series, and a new GR could be both brilliant and not all that hard to create. Just the original GR's gameplay, with the bigger FC3-type maps and modern graphics would be killer. It's not like it was all that complex a game from a strategy perspective. That's one of the things that made it great: you had a simple set of tools (waypoints, cover arcs, ROE, a few special abilities), but with just that simple set, you had a lot of control and freedom. They could make controlling a soldier individually fairly action-oriented and first person (just like FC3 but with realistic weapons, damage and ballistics) so the twitch crowd would enjoy it, but still stay true to the roots that the thinking crowd likes.

They could pretty easily make a game that is genuinely superior to the original Ghost Recon games. Naturally, that won't happen because it makes too much sense, but I can always hope.

News Comments > Evochron Mercenary Expands
1. Re: Evochron Mercenary Expands Dec 13, 2012, 11:11 Aero

Nice.

Been waiting for this.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
2. Re: Evening Screenshots Dec 11, 2012, 22:07 Aero

The marine in the first one has teeny tiny feet. Must be why he insists on carrying such a big gun. He's also all jagged around the edges. Maybe some kind of ointment would help.  

News Comments > No Dead Island: Riptide in Germany
22. Re: No Dead Island: Riptide in Germany Dec 1, 2012, 12:30 Aero

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 11:30:
StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 08:05:
Golwar wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 06:25:
And as long as the USA prevent even slightly sexual content in games for everyone on the world, I'd remain silent about how stupid countries are.

How do we do this exactly? Our ratings system is entirely voluntary and there is no government involvement, regulation or censorship what-so-ever.

Guess you've never heard of the FCC then.

The FCC has nothing at all to do with video games.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 17:24 Aero

You do have to wonder what would happen if some of the MANY one-man-effort space sim devlopers would team up. Limit Theory looks interesting, but over the years there hare been so many interesting looking space sim projects that never materialized, I find myself never getting excited about anything. That's probably one of the genre's biggest problems.

I've been following Rogue System with some interest because I really like the concept of complex systems and clickable cockpits (a la modern flight sims) integrated with a space game. It too, though, is a one man, part-time, project and though the developer is serious (and seems really cool), one man's life has a way of making these things tend to fade away before becoming full products. I hope it, and the many others, make it though.

Some videos of Rogue System:
http://www.fingerscrossedinteractive.com/videos.html

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 15:34 Aero

Between the two (this and Star Citizen), I'm more interested in Elite. It seems likely that they will both fall short of their potential and promise, but (probably) the worst case scenario for Elite is a straight remake of the originals with updated graphics, and that would still be awesome. Star Citizen seems like it could end up being something really cool for what it is, but what it is just isn't something I'm all that interested.

That said, I'm happy to support them both within reason. With some luck, a couple years from now I'll have gone from pining for a good space sim and seriously doubting the genre will ever seriously return, to being spoiled for choice.

X-Rebirth looks potentially interesting too, of course (though the X games haven't appealed much to me for a while otherwise).

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 10, 2012, 15:01 Aero

Ah, okay. That's not so bad then. I'll wait for that.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 10, 2012, 14:47 Aero

When I saw the first previews for Blood and Chrome back whenever that was, I was pretty stoked for it.

Now I find it's a collection of 12 minute webisodes? Seriously?

SyFy really sucks hard these days.

News Comments > Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully
2. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 7, 2012, 22:17 Aero

Um, how much flash do you really need to save the configuration settings? 512K flash ic's cost about $0.50 and I can't imagine why you would even need anywhere near that much. Granted, those little things add up, but I don't really buy that as an excuse.  

News Comments > Roberts on PC Star Citizen
30. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 4, 2012, 12:37 Aero

Yeah, I kind of want it to be spelled out just exactly what Star Citizen is going to be. Obviously there is confusion about this so it needs to be sorted out. If Roberts doesn't really know yet, that's fine, but it would be nice to have harder distinctions.

To be honest, I'm reading it like this: For single-player and dedicated servers, it's going to be a mission-based space combat game like Wing Commander. The online, MMO portion will be a sandbox space sim like Privateer. The thing is, the phrase "space sim" used to be applied to all of these things because "simulator" really just used to mean a game with 3D graphics (as opposed to a 2D scroller). Typically in common usage, "space sim" these days refers to a sandbox, Privateer-style game. That's hardly universal though, and "space simulation" generically is certainly an adequate description of a mission-based game.

I hope I'm wrong though. I really don't want an MMO, let alone a micro-transaction-based MMO. If, as some people are saying, the whole MMO infrastructure will be released as a dedicated server so we can run our own private universes alone or with particular friends and no micro-transactions, that would be awesome, but that seems like a questionable business move. It could work, but it seems awkward.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Nov 1, 2012, 11:53 Aero

Any bots to practice/learn/screw around with, or is it trial by fire?  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Patched
14. Re: Borderlands 2 Patched Oct 26, 2012, 15:24 Aero

I have to say I was pretty disappointed in the progression aspect in Borderlands 2. I like, in games like this where you develop your character, where you feel a lot more powerful at the higher levels. There isn't really all that much difference in weak and strong here. The guns are largely the same except they do more damage points. Fighting high level enemies with a high level character isn't much different from fighting low level enemies with a low level character (in fact, I seemed to be having more fun in the lower levels--though that could just be down to the novelty).

Anyways, the way your character and weapons rank up and the enemies rank up all seems to just come out in the wash. I'd prefer it if in the higher levels you faced huge swarms of low level enemies as well as high level enemies so that I could feel more like a proper badass.

714 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo