Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 766 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 18:40 Aero

I finally gave up on a manual transmission a few days ago after driving them all my life. I think it's got something to do with getting older. I used to enjoy driving more. Now it's kind of just a chore. I want something comfy and easy to handle, and where I can drink my morning coffee and smoke my morning cigarette without the juggling act.

I'm interested in CVTs though. They're still a little new for me to really consider investing in one (want to see how they fair 5 and 10 years on), but they ought to give the best of both worlds.

I definitely do not like flooring the throttle, and then having the car actually decelerate for 0.5 seconds while it decides to downshift. Driving an automatic, you really do have to consider your throttle inputs a lot more carefully.

Orson Scott Card is nuts and he should shut his gob. He wrote some good books back in the day, though. A lot of good scifi writers are nuts though (Phillip Dick, for example), but usually in a more of an interesting, eccentric way. He's just run-of-the-mill far-right nuts.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA Unleaks GTA5 PC Comment - New Trailers Released
21. Re: NVIDIA Unleaks GTA5 PC Comment - New Trailers Released Aug 14, 2013, 17:44 Aero

I'll ask you what I asked Riggs, what's your theory behind why they want "everyone to buy it on the console, first?"

I'm guessing it's got nothing to do with Rockstar and everything to do with MS/Sony. I definitely do wonder, though, why they didn't wait a few months and make it a Xbone or PS4 exclusive. You figure either Sony or MS would be willing to dump a TON of money on them to make that happen. GTA5 would sell consoles without a doubt. I don't really see any other initial titles that would even remotely tempt me to buy a new console. GTA5 might (though I wouldn't in the end).

As for PC vs the consoles though, that's hard. No royalties for the PC release, but also of course, a lot fewer sales.

Also, if somehow both MS and Sony were pushing for a no PC release, I'd guess that would end up on legal thin ice. Paying for an exclusive is one thing, but two companies paying to exclude a third is something else entirely.

Meh, I'm sure their lawyers got it all sorted out. Maybe Rockstar just doesn't want to bother with the PC yet. Maybe that's their excuse, anyways.

edit: Ah... of course, what I didn't think of was the 360/PS3 release, and then six months later an "enhanced" Xbone/PS4 release. Double dip. That's where the cash is at. Maybe that's when a PC version will come out as well, since they'll probably be about on par capability wise at that point.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PAYDAY 2
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - PAYDAY 2 Aug 13, 2013, 17:45 Aero

Here's a video of people doing it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8laN48HxPU

(You can skip the first 10 minutes).

News Comments > SimCity Traffic Improvements
13. Re: SimCity Traffic Improvements Aug 11, 2013, 10:46 Aero

Still $40 with some "promotion." I do plan on buying this some day, but not until it's under $20 and hopefully patched some more. I don't see any amount of patching turning it into a proper sequel, so I'm only going to pay a "SimCity Lite" price. There are definitely some good ideas in there, but it still looks a lot like one step forward and two steps back to me (and bonus bugs!).  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Diary and Video
9. Re: Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Diary and Video Aug 10, 2013, 11:47 Aero

With a server full of serious (but not too serious), mature players, the Battlefield series are among the best games ever made. On a typical public server full of children and basement dwelling narcissists, they're crap.

I'm sure with the right players, commander mode on a tablet would be a Good Thing. You will almost never actually see that in the wild though. The only way to have fun (unless you are a child or a basement dwelling narcissist) will be to already have or be willing to put a good deal of effort into finding a large enough group of good people to play with such that you can regularly fill a server.

If they would put the bots back in (and maybe even improve on them a bit), I would at least be able to get my money's worth with the half-dozen or so people I might be able to round up at any one time.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Splinter Cell: Blacklist; System Specs Revealed
6. Re: Gone Gold - Splinter Cell: Blacklist; System Specs Revealed Aug 10, 2013, 11:21 Aero

Even the most consolefied people I know say the first three were the the best and the latter ones were crap (of course, despite being consolefied folk, they are at least still old enough to remember the first one).

I'd say what was so brilliant about the original formula was that the basic rules were so simple, but complex gameplay and lots of room for creative approaches would fall out of that.

I guess if what many people want is Call of Duty, though, these two things really just can't be reconciled. You can't both be Rambo *and* have to strategize your way around a lone patrolling guard.

News Comments > Strife Announced
2. Re: Strife Announced Aug 8, 2013, 20:06 Aero

Wasn't their an FPS in development way back when (mid nineties) that was going to be called "Strife?" Not that this has anything to do with anything here, but the name triggered that memory and I can't place it.  

News Comments > X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers
53. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 8, 2013, 19:48 Aero

This looks like it sorts out the biggest issue I have with previous X games, which was the sectors just effectively being big boxes with stations randomly strewn about and some pretty backdrops. I like the Freelancer-style space-freeway idea (even if it really is just sort of an interactive loading screen in place of the jump gates), because I at least can visualize and navigate a coherent structure to the whole universe.

I was hoping that there would be planets and orbits and a more realistic structure as a whole, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I can accept that, though, given how much ridiculous detail the man-made objects seem to have.

Anyways, yeah, it looks absolutely amazing. I really, really, dig that this is a proper modern *PC* game. That's what I like to see, I like to see a game and think "wow, I didn't know that was possible!" This looks like better technology unlocking game design that wasn't really possible before instead of just wrapping up old possibilities in a pretty new package.

I'm sure it will suffer from the usual Egosoft cheese-factor when it comes to characters and character interaction, but meh.

On a more nitpicking note, I hope they lose the jazuras/wazurs/whatever time scale. I understand it's not on earth and all, but I can't readily accept different metrics for timekeeping like I can other dimensions.

News Comments > Crytek Sites Breached
18. Re: Crytek Sites Breached Aug 3, 2013, 22:36 Aero

I'd guess this is an ego stroker more than for nefarious criminal activity (though I'm not familiar with the sites in question).

Going to a lot of trouble to protect your accounts on random message boards and gaming sites isn't worth the effort if they don't lead to anything of value to you. Just keep a junk e-mail account for signing up to that sort of thing, use the same password for all of them, whatever. There's something to be said for not bothering to remember your password at all, just use the "forgot password" interface all the time and just protect your e-mail login. Save your effort and memory for important accounts.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 3, 2013, 13:34 Aero

You hit diminishing returns over 1080p pretty quick. On a reasonable sized desktop monitor (say 27"), beyond 2K resolution is eating a lot of GPU performance for not a lot of visual quality gain so far as my eyes can see.

Assuming they will eventually get good yields on large screen displays at small screen DPI, I'm not sure I'd even really want to go that high. For things that aren't pushing the GPU, sure, more pixels is always better, but if I have a choice of 30fps at 4K on a 27" monitor or 120fps at 2K (and I know it's not quite that simple), I'll take the higher framerate--or better still, 60fps and more detail to the 3D scene, or physics, or whatever.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Aug 1, 2013, 19:28 Aero

One thing I've been meaning to ask about that, is it checkpoints as in if you quit you have to start at the beginning of a level again but your character keeps everything they'd gained previously, or does it totally revert to the point where you initially started the level?

I'm not totally opposed to checkpoint saves, but a lot of thought needs to go into them, probably to the point where just implementing a quick save feature would be simpler.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 30, 2013, 10:42 Aero

Though I want to see films in their original version, I don't think that's the majority view of the general public. They want it to fill their screen. At least a 16:9 pan-and-scan isn't nearly as bad as a 4:3. This is an argument I gave up pursuing with almost every girlfriend I've ever had (that and "the TV speakers are good enough").

Of course, the easy answer is to have both versions, but then the studios will treat them as separate products and double the price. A technological solution isn't impossible (do the cropping on the client side), but who would take responsibility for it? Of course, IMO, if people want full screen, let them just expand the center of the picture to fill their screen. Hopefully they'll come to appreciate why it matters soon enough.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Preorders
21. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Preorders Jul 29, 2013, 21:08 Aero

WyldKat wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 16:16:
That makes me feel better about it but I'm honestly not a fan of them leaving certain planes, very IMPORTANT planes from a sim/historic POV, only accessible via DLC. I suppose I'll just wait and see how the reviews go and wait for an all inclusive version a year down the road. 'Sides, IL2-1946 is still amazing and Star Citizen dogfighting alpha is coming soon too.

If they're using the Rise of Flight style of business model, which it seems they mostly are, then I don't see a problem with it. Rise of Flight, as it currently is, is a good example of DLC done right. They keep refining the base engine, while releasing new DLC content (planes, a new map) that are well worth the asking price.

It hardly seems like it looking back because it was so spread out, but I've probably spent in the neighborhood of $150 or more on it over the last couple years. The trick is, it was all in sub-$10 chunks, and it was always something I was looking forward to and, I felt, well worth its price.

If 1C/777 keeps releasing new, thoroughly and beautifully modelled (physically and aesthetically) airplanes for ~$10 each, and the odd new high-quality map for $20-$30. I think that's a gravy train we all can ride. They get to make a decent living developing a WWII flight sim, and I get a good WWII flight sim with new, interesting content coming out all the time.

Hopefully, a few years from now, I'll look back and realize I've given them hundreds of dollars over the years, because that means I thought it was worth it. Sure, I'd love it if we could roll back to the oldschool times of fancy, boxed flight sims, but for a variety of reasons (some good, some bad), those days are gone.

News Comments > World of Warplanes Open Beta
15. Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 18:59 Aero

War Thunder is based on Gaijin's evolution of the IL-2 engine. I hear lots both ways about it, though most of the legitimate criticism seems more about the gameplay mechanics (small maps, missions designed around the arcade settings) and historical accuracy (theaters and plane match ups) rather than the simulation itself.

I tried it early in the beta and didn't care for it. The basics of the simulation were sound enough though. It didn't seem like much had changed from Wings of Prey, which in turn was pretty similar to IL-2. So far as hardcore flight sims go, it's a dated physics and systems engine, but it got most of the basic concepts right.

It is damn beautiful looking and very well optimized if nothing else.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jun 13, 2013, 22:05 Aero

nin wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 21:48:
I picked it up but haven't played it yet. I find the various youtube channels dedicated to it to be addicting to watch. It's like the old opening to Wild World Of Sports: I can't wait to see the next big explosion!

I have to admit, I've probably spent more time watching Youtube videos than actually playing. Though I love the hell out it, I don't have the time to put into it that some of these people clearly have, and it's amazing to see what they can do.

I still have lots of trouble designing a rocket that can just get to Mun, let alone return safely. But damn if it isn't just as much fun failing spectacularly as it is succeeding.

For a while I was a little concerned about overplaying the beta, because it looks like they might put an excellent 'game' on top of it, but really, just screwing around, figuring things out, and seeing what works is plenty of game.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jun 13, 2013, 21:18 Aero

Kerbal Space Program is absolutely worth the money if you think you might even be remotely interested.  

News Comments > Mad Max Game Announced
37. Re: Mad Max Game Announced Jun 11, 2013, 19:16 Aero

I've always wanted sort of an Elite-style game, but taking place in a Mad Max like setting with cars and trucks instead of spaceships. Hard to say if that would actually work out in practice, but I like the idea. Surely this won't be it, of course.

For the record, I remember really liking the NES game. Though to be fair, I was like 10 years old, and the first two Mad Max movies were up there with Star Wars as my favorite childhood movies, so I may have just been suckered by the license. That won't cut it anymore, but I still hope it's good (not holding my breath).

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 10, 2013, 23:26 Aero

The Division is definitely the first really "next generation" looking game I've seen so far. Everything else has been the same old stuff better graphics.

I also don't see how Microsoft will have any choice but to lower their price to $399 unless they can offer some real tangible advantage or major feature that PS4 lacks, which I definitely haven't seen mentioned yet. The PS4 (presumably, they could always weasel out of it) having fewer strings and gotchas certainly isn't making the Xbox any more attractive.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 6, 2013, 18:35 Aero

It's a shame about Remember Me. Back when it was previewed, it looked like they might have an interesting concept, but then it turns out that's all they had and they didn't really know how to go about turning that into an actual game.  

News Comments > DuckTales: Remastered for PC This Summer
1. Re: DuckTales: Remastered for PC This Summer Jun 4, 2013, 20:06 Aero

After the first bit of the trailer, I was about to come back here and bitch if they didn't use the theme song. Glad I got that wrong. I'd actually never heard of the original game, and though I'm not really interested in it or the remastered version, I'm a little piqued by its apparent classic-ness. I definitely liked the show when I was a kid, though I was maybe a bit old for it. Talespin might make a good game with all the planes and stuff.

I also learned that the phrase is "derring do" not "daring do," which was news to me.

766 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo