Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 812 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dying Light DLC & Hard Mode Next Week
3. Re: Dying Light DLC & Hard Mode Next Week Mar 4, 2015, 13:21 Aero

Dying Light truly is brilliant. It's a shame about hard mode coming later, though. As much as I love it, like Dead Island, I will play it until I'm sick of playing it (which has been something like 40 hours so far to get me 48% of the way through) and then that's it.

I would have liked a harder mode from the beginning (I see there are mods I haven't tried though). Of course on the other hand, I don't go out at night much. It's well done, but I get turned around easily and some of the enemy AI (particularly in regard to path finding) is really amazingly good. Too frustrating for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 27, 2015, 16:52 Aero

Love "by the time they found out I didn't know what I was doing, I did" part. That pretty much sums up the trick to being a firmware of software engineer--probably almost any kind of engineer.  

News Comments > Resident Evil 2 Co-op Apology
3. Re: Resident Evil 2 Co-op Apology Feb 27, 2015, 11:30 Aero

SXO wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 09:40:
Can anyone with actual programming knowledge explain why this feature would be difficult to implement on the PC version specifically? Often these things seem simple to the layman, but it's far more complicated than it seems (like having a FOV slider).

There's no reason you couldn't, but it would add some complications and require extra development time for a feature probably very few people would use on a PC.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit
52. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 18:03 Aero

I don't see 512MB making a big difference, now or ever. Not now because 3.5GB is still plenty on typical setups including 1440p and 21:9 (though there are probably outliers). In the future, or if you run triple screens or 4K, then you really need 6GB anyways. The 970 is the best price/performance GPU upgrade I've done in the last ten years or so. Even with these revelations, I'd buy one again at the price I paid without hesitation.

This doesn't excuse nVidia's false advertising, of course. There should be a reckoning for that.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 18:04 Aero

IMO, the biggest tragedy of the recent Battlefield games is that they removed the bots. Sure they were stupid, but a 64-player game populated with bots was tremendous fun. Stupid as they were, at least they played properly. If they'd put a bit of effort into the bots to make them a bit better, I'd probably play BF3 all the time. I would have bought BF4 and even that new cops and robbers modgame the day they were released.

Of course, I'd rather play with 63 real friends who'd play seriously (but not too seriously), but that's pretty hard to arrange around my gaming schedule--that is, when the whim to play a game happens to hit me.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
60. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 01:37 Aero

At this point, I think I'm really only looking forward to Squadron 42 for some Wing Commander style space shooter action. I definitely don't see the space sim I wanted coming out of this. That isn't to say it might not be a cool new sort of thing all its own, but the odds are pretty long on that.

If they had just taken the basic Freelancer framework and doctored it up with new technology, they would have easily had a sure thing. That could work equally well as a purely single player experience, or an instanced MMO (like a bigger, instancing incarnation of the Discovery Mod servers).

The most disappointing part is that they probably would have made a better game if they had a smaller budget*. It's still all up in the air though, so we'll see. I figure I'll get my $35 or whatever's worth from SQ42 either way.

*edit: Or better management...

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 20, 2015, 12:27 Aero

Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 12:01:
That's just ridiculous.

They're almost literally printing money.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2015, 11:03 Aero

Musher's Secret works pretty well.  

News Comments > Dying Light Mod Tool Plans
17. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 7, 2015, 10:04 Aero

Personally, I think it's brilliant. Odds are I will never actually finish the story though, so if they want to put some QTEs in at the end, that's okay from my point of view. If it's a boss fight, that's sort of as shame though because they could use their bone-breaking system to come up with some clever ways to make that interesting (ie, the way you would aim to break the bruiser's arms in Dead Island).

I actually rather like the lock-picking. I'm glad they just ripped it off from Skyrim (another brilliant game I played the hell out of but never actually finished the story). It's a decent, simple system. It would have been better if breaking a pick was loud enough to attract nearby zombies though.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 2, 2015, 06:02 Aero

So far I think Dying Light is brilliant. I'm guessing, though, that it will suffer the same pacing problems as Dead Island (which I liked for what it was, but is undoubtedly not as good as Dying Light). I do have the feeling, though, that much like Dead Island, I will grow bored of it well before completing it. That's okay though, because that's still quite a number of hours of enjoyable game play.

I'm trying to pace myself but not rushing to do the primary missions, but not blatantly grinding for XP either, and also taking a semi self-imposed iron man mentality--I don't start over or anything if I die, but I try to approach it as though death is serious and to be avoided at all costs. The actual gameplay penalty is a very minor XP reduction.

There doesn't seem to be an adjustable difficulty, and I wouldn't mind a harder setting.

It was an early purchase from me because I was in the minority that really enjoyed Dead Island (the sequel, not so much).

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 16:46 Aero

Yeah, I doubt it will be the case with 5, but I thought the same thing about GTA4. What could go wrong? Even though I had a higher end system at the time, it wasn't until my next upgrade two years later that it ran, well not well, but okay-ish, though it sill looked like crap.

To be fair, the GTA PC ports prior to GTA4 were technically sound for the most part.

All the same, I won't need much to convince me to buy it. Just someone I know saying 'yeah, it runs fine' will do.

News Comments > Evolve Unlocks in Match-3 Game
18. Re: Evolve Unlocks in Match-3 Game Feb 1, 2015, 13:20 Aero

If someone made a simple-ish shooter like this and sold it on Steam for $10 or $20 and it proved to be fun and popular, then they could reasonably get more money out of it with DLC and silly apps or whatever. However, starting out from the ground up using this business model that originally came from reacting to an unexpectedly succesful game based on the assumption you can just engineer the same situation is both hubris and profoundly daft cargo cult management. It's not hard to imagine them at their meetings, pretending to watch a powerpoint presentation on their cocunut projector before calling in a terrified level designer to be sacrificed to the mighty and terrible Notch, god of billion dollar buyouts.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 27, 2015, 20:30 Aero

Charging for gas (or to speed up digging, or whatever) is really quite appallingly stupid. I don't really play mobile games so I'm usually pretty blasť about the whole thing. Just let the suckers give up their money, but I don't even see how this would work in any context other than a little kid begging his parents who acquiesce just to shut him up. Microtransactions are stupid in general, but they can at least pretend to give you something for your money like a new car or something.

This is obviously a game that was not designed to have microtransactions and then somebody shoehorned them in at the last minute. It would make more sense to just charge ten cents for each game like an arcade.

edit: On second thought, I bet the article is misrepresenting it. I bet the "gas" is for the nitro turbo boost button. That wouldn't be quite as silly. Still pretty silly, though.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2015, 20:39.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 27, 2015, 19:59 Aero

Well, it's a better job than soldiering, and yet people love war games.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud
36. Re: Ubisoft Deactivating Far Cry 4 Keys; Cites Fraud Jan 26, 2015, 18:01 Aero

Gib007 wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 16:51:
Well I bought mine from CJS CDKeys, so I hope that isn't a problem. However, ironically if they deactivated mine, it would have zero impact on my gaming because of how broken 21:9 FOV is anyway! I wouldn't be happy, of course not, since I paid about £28 for it, but hey, I'm not happy with Far Cry 4 now, hahaha.

It works pretty well in 21:9 for me. As I recall, you have to run it in borderless window mode to get it to render properly. The only problem remaining is that the gas-mask image overlay doesn't cover the entire screen. Thats annoying, but not a big deal. It's not the best 21:9 support among recent games, but very far from the worst.

As for the keys, of course they're shady and I don't see that Ubisoft has done anything wrong. It would have been a much wiser move to wait until they could somehow render them invalid to begin with, preventing you from installing rather than taking away something you've already installed. On the other hand, there are probably legitimate reasons that's not feasible without being too intrusive or getting too many false positives. Regardless, someone was going to have to come down on selling out-of-region some time and going after individual sites like G2A would just be so much whack-a-mole.

Had I paid $15 for a $60 video game key near release day, I can't say as I could feel justifiably upset if they deactivated it. I either would have known or should have known something wasn't on the level. Obviously having different prices for different markets creates problems for downloadable content, but just averaging it out would screw over a lot of people. There isn't an easy solution to that.

News Comments > Ferrari Virtual Academy Closed
1. Re: Ferrari Virtual Academy Closed Jan 10, 2015, 14:47 Aero

Though I'm not pissed about FVA in particular because I don't play it anymore (though it was quite good), I did pay about $40 for it all told just three years ago, and it's a prime example for folks who are against always-on DRM.

Ammunition for the cause, you know.

(And it's worth pointing out, that Kunos Simulazioni isn't responsible for this, they just developed the software under license for Ferrari SpA, and it is they who are responsible).

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2015, 15:26.

News Comments > Mafia III News Soon?
12. Re: Mafia III News Soon? Jan 8, 2015, 00:46 Aero

They've certainly demonstrated that are a creative bunch and that they have both the technical and artistic chops to pull of something interesting. At least for me though, just more of the same would make it a $20 ($30 if it's very well done) purchase. I've replayed the first two fairly recently, and honestly, though good, I don't really think they hold up so well anymore (technical limitations aside). What struck me most about particularly the first Mafia game was how it was so tastefully presented and the the script was, by video game standards of the time, incredibly well developed. Good artistic directors and good writers are much more common in the games industry today than they were then.

Certainly, on second thought, I wouldn't really want them to try to make the series into something that it isn't. A run-of-the-mill third person shooter, no matter how good the plot is, just doesn't really cut it. So, they can't stick to the same formula, but I wouldn't want them to go way off base either (like, as I mentioned, turning it into a more advanced, urban variant of Far Cry 3/4 might be too far).

I guess I just don't know what I want. I do, however, have faith that they will have better ideas than me, and could very well surprise everybody with something amazing.

News Comments > Mafia III News Soon?
5. Re: Mafia III News Soon? Jan 7, 2015, 20:40 Aero

Though I have nothing but fond memories of the Mafia games, they are going to have to really step it up a couple notches for another sequel. Just a big map that *looks* like a city with a small handful of more detailed interactive areas won't really cut it. And has already been mentioned, driving a car around an open world city is extremely old hat these days.

Even though the Mafia series always did well with the plot, script and characters, when it comes down to it, their competition is GTA5. Just taking the more grown-up, serious route won't cut it by itself. They're going to have to *really* step it up. It's going to need more than just that. Saints Row couldn't really compete with GTA5's production values and scale, but it (largely) made up for it by being silly and over the top. Sleeping Dogs made it work by having a fun kung fu fighting system.

Perhaps it could go with a basic strategic element (sort of Shadows of Mordor Style), and throw in a bit of LA Noire's verbal character interaction gameplay so there are some plot choices--give the player other ways to interact with the world than just shooting things.

Despite my misgivings, it's still good news though and I hope it's set in the 70's (which, I'm willing to bet it will be).

News Comments > Mad Catz Announces $300 PC/Mobile Controller
10. Re: Mad Catz Announces $300 PC/Mobile Controller Jan 7, 2015, 01:17 Aero

It is frankly amazing that even Mad Catz let this obviously and demonstrably terrible idea get this far.

Given its size, and especially its price, who the hell is going to buy this? I'm certainly not going to lug it around with me on the go. It would be easier to carry around a Gameboy or Vita or whatever in addition to my phone or tablet, and for less money. And at home, I may as well buy an Xbox or Playstation if I'm that serious (or hell, even an Nvidia Shield).

If it were roughly the same dimensions of a typical smartphone and had some quality low-profile integrated controls--maybe a couple thumbsticks similar to those on the Nintendo 3DS, three or four front buttons and a couple bumpers on the top, and also a physical QWERTY keyboard on the opposite side, then *that* would be something I might consider buying. Even though I think that would actually be pretty cool, I still wouldn't pay anything like $300 for it.

This thing just fits no sane use case.

edit:

Okay, I see that SirKnight would be interested at a lower price. I don't mean to imply that you aren't sane SirKnight and certainly mean no disrespect, but how and where would you see yourself using this? I can't, of course, account for situations in which other people play games on their tablets. I would also certainly agree that once it's connected, it would be a superior way to play games on a tablet to using silly onscreen widget controls. Would you carry it around with you out and about, or would you just leave it at home? I can perhaps see that (though as you say, at $30 rather than $300)... it could be a way to play games while your wife/girlfriend/kids/whatever are watching TV or something, and you're obligated to be present and therefore can't go off and play computer games.

Obviously at that price point, the handheld consoles are still better and with that thing on there, you couldn't pretend like you were using your tablet for something serious.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2015, 01:30.

News Comments > Razer Unveils OSVR Headset
17. Re: Razer Unveils OSVR Headset Jan 6, 2015, 22:26 Aero

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 19:49:
I'm a bit uncomfortable with VR in general because I already get sick from standard FPS' on my 27" monitor. I keep thinking my body will get used to it, but I just don't play games enough to get over this hump. This tech looks amazing, but if it exacerbates my issue I'll hate it.

If it's done right, it might be possible that it could even solve your problem. Obviously I have no idea what your particular problem is, but an idealized VR setup would be very much like natural vision. In theory, it should be more natural and possibly not as sick-inducing as looking at a screen.

I don't know a sure-fire way to test this, but finding a 3D game that allows you to adjust the FOV within wide margins could help you test it. See if you can find find a FOV that is more comfortable to look at. The "realistic" FOV would be in the neighborhood of the arc of your vision taken up by your screen from where you're sitting--probably somewhere typically between 15 and 30 degrees depending... so it's like you're looking out a window rather than through a fish-eye lens which is what most 3D games are like. Though not a useful FOV for most games, if that doesn't make you feel ill, you'd probably be okay with VR.

Likewise, some people feel ill playing a game with an FOV that is too small. This is probably a more complicated situation. At a guess, I'd say they are good at zoning out their surroundings and can interpret what's on the screen as though it were their entire field of vision, projecting their sense of visual awareness entirely into the virtual picture. Therefore when the FOV is too small, it feels entirely unnatural and makes them feel ill (sort of like trying to walk around all day wearing blinders, or toilet-paper roll goggles). Again, VR would probably sort this out.

Of course, it could also be the somatosensory/inner ear disconnect with the virtual world that could be the problem too, in which case I'd guess VR would be that much worse than a screen. You can test this (to an extent) by playing games either with the lights on or the lights off and see which is worse. If it's worse with them off, it's more likely (though not guaranteed) this is the case. On the bright side, if this is the case for you, there is a good chance taking some dramamine could help alleviate the problem.

And, certainly of course, it could be a combination of these possibilities or, or course, something else entirely.

Personally, though I don't (usually) have motion sickness related to video games, I do tend toward the situation that prefers a lower field of view (though it doesn't make me physically sick, I find the higher FOVs that many peopler prefer... like 90 degrees, to be uncomfortable. Depending on what sort of game it is, I find 60-75 degrees (vertical, I believe) ideal for FPS games. In flight and racing sims, I like to go lower (I can go as low as I like (down to the "natural" FOV anyways) without discomfort, it's only the smaller FOV and therefore limited visibility becoming a hindrance that forces me to find a higher a happy medium.

I guess, after all that rambling, my point is that if and when you buy a VR headset, if you can't just try someone else's first, make sure there is a good return policy. That's what I'll be doing for sure. I learned my lesson many years before, when I bought som shutter 3D glasses, the sort that needed a CRT display. Cool as they were, the combination of the flicker and (at that time) hacked-in wonky stereo 3D implementations meant I'd be totally mentally exhausted after about a half hour of use. After a couple weeks of trying to get used to it, they ended up in a box in the basement where they still are to this day (I suppose, in the off chance I ever own a CRT monitor again).

And my final point, only somewhat related, is that *all of this* is exactly why every single game should always have and adjustable FOV. At least within reason. Everyone is different. Hell, I had a girlfriend once that literally could not perceive 3D graphics--it was all flat shapes to her. She acted as though this was a matter of pride. I wasn't foolish enough to tell her my own opinion, which was that she must have a remarkably feeble visual cortex.

edit (ignoring obvious grammar mistakes above, and for yet more ramblosity... too much coffee I guess):

This is a reason I hope the return policies are very generous (since most people won't be able to go to a friend or a showroom and try one out, and that probably wouldn't but it anyways). When I first got a TrackIR, I thought I'd never get used to it, and it was a mental strain and disorienting at first. Even after a week or two of determined practice, though the disorientation wasn't as bad, an hour long session with it would leave me mentally drained. However, soon after that, it just suddenly clicked and became perfectly natural and now I could never play a flight-sim or a space-sim without it. I can use it for hours with no strain at all (and I even find myself involuntarily making minor jerking motions with my head trying to look around when watching a video of someone play ED or DCS without a TrackIR). For me, it was the single greatest leap in virtual immersion since 3D accelerators. If I only had 10 minutes to try it or a few days or even a week to make up my mind about returning it, I may well have missed out on all that.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2015, 22:56.

812 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo