Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Crew Closed Beta Monday
3. Re: The Crew Closed Beta Monday Jul 17, 2014, 20:20 Aero

Maybe sort of a Eurotrucker sort of thing, with a few detailed areas and generic scenery in between. That could be okay if they do it well.

I am a little curious about this in relation to their claim of "thousands of square miles" which would fall short of covering the US by many orders of magnitude.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Survey
16. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 15:45 Aero

I'd be cool with more of the same refined, but with plots contained within individual games: something that is wrapped up at the end of the game without shoehorned cross-game alternate paths. They have a good universe, good core gameplay, and good writing, but that was stretched too thin across ME2 and ME3. That one gimmick, which was a cool idea, didn't pan out in practice.

I'd like to see more done with the IP though. There is still plenty to work with after the events of ME3.

News Comments > MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; "New Concepts" Coming
13. Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 22:49 Aero

Prepar3D is already sort of becoming FSX11. It's in a bit of a licensing quagmire though insofar as FSX payware content is concerend (as I understand it, it technically works fine, but isn't permitted by the license).

It's also a little expensive. Version 2.2 can be damn pretty though. I understand it performs considerably better than FSX as well on the same hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXJ8eaqkDuY

News Comments > Standalone DCS F-15C
8. Re: Standalone DCS F-15C Jun 30, 2014, 17:57 Aero

It's probably worth noting that if you already own Flaming Cliffs 3 (though there may have been a cut off date), you get all the AFM upgraded aircraft for free.

I wanna like DCS, I really do, and maybe when Edge is released and there is more work on the campaign, I might go back to it, but I always go back to Falcon BMS in the end. BMS 4.33 is looking damn impressive, and could be released soon (or maybe next year, or the year after that, but eventually anyways).

I'll surely be buying the F-18C when it comes out, though. The DCS sims are great for all the time you spend learning how to operate the avionics and weapons systems. After that, though (which admittedly can take weeks or months), I lose interest.... same old, same old.

All rambling aside. For a good pick-up-and-play but still realistic modern combat sim, Flaming Cliffs is hard to beat.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - GRID Autosport
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - GRID Autosport Jun 25, 2014, 05:00 Aero

This might seem kind of random and trivial, but is telling about wheel support: When you say it autodetects your G27, does it automatically adjust the the steering lock to suit the car? A lot of console-cum-PC semi-sim racers (notably Codemasters F1 games), just assume you will have your wheel setup to some particular lock-to-lock angle (usually 270 or 360). The better PC sims can detect your wheel's lock so you just leave it at its maximum and will adjust the in game car to suit.

I dunno, I have doubts about this one. I'm okay with arcade racers, and I'm great with proper sim racers, but the neither-one-nor-the-other zone in between tends to leave me underwhelmed.

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
31. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 14:43 Aero

How does velocity work? In my experience, if it's realistic and acceleration is only limited by fuel, fighting degrades into a series of high speed head on passes until someone dies. Jousting, in effect, and it's pretty boring.

Then again, if you factor in acceleration stress on the human in the ship which would severely limit your ability to change direction (turn around for the next pass), it could keep the relative velocities low if the ships fighting wanted to stay in contact with one another.

I've never played anything that had both true newtonian physics and g-force limits on the pilot, and I can't even imagine how it would work, especially when you consider the possibility of many ships. I can maybe see some very interesting strategies evolving from it, but it might not be much fun.

edit: In my own opinion, though I'm much more into the sim side of things generally, I'm fine with magicking some of these problems away with technobabble. One possible solution would be to say you've got some kind of gravity damper that allows for very high constant-g turns but not rapid changes in acceleration.

edit2: Okay, I realize that's the opposite of what a damper actually does, but you get the idea.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2014, 14:58.

News Comments > Project CARS E3 Trailer
7. Re: Project CARS E3 Trailer Jun 12, 2014, 00:05 Aero

PCARS is definitely intended to be a full-on simracer but with nods toward the arcade segment such as big fantasy highway type tracks thrown in. IMO as yet the physics and handling still aren't competitive with the other big PC sims. The tire model and force feedback implementation haven't really come together properly yet, but it's improving bit by bit and they have another 6 months to get it right. Time will tell but it could be quite good.

On very powerful hardware it does actually look that good, and I'd be willing to believe that's all real-time footage. It looks nearly that good on my mid-range system, but with the odd jaggies and artifact you'd expect without the latest and greatest hardware. Either way, the graphics engine is superb and well optimized.

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Announced
15. Re: Dead Island 2 Announced Jun 10, 2014, 12:23 Aero

Spec Ops had the best writing I've ever experienced in a video game and it easily made up for the mediocre gameplay. That plot wasn't great (or even good, really)--it was rather like a brilliant screenplay made from an average book, but fuck if it didn't keep me interested and keep the adrenaline ebbing and flowing way longer than the gameplay warranted (which would have been about 20 minutes). I don't think I've ever got anything approaching bloodlust in any other video game, but I did in Spec Ops.

So... we'll see what they can do with the Dead Island mechanics. I think Techland may have done all they can with it.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 2, 2014, 00:02 Aero

Caved and bought Watch Dogs. It actually runs very well on my system (580GTX 1.5G, 12GB DRAM, 2600K @4.5Ghz) provided I have textures set to medium, but I can crank everything else up and still get very smooth gameplay (haven't measured... neighborhood of 60 though) at 2560x1080.

On the other hand, the game itself is mediocre. Some nice ideas. Nice environment, but for all that, it's still just a GTA clone.

Wolfenstein was the better buy, I'm loving that one in a mindless machine-gun rampage sort of way.

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
32. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced May 31, 2014, 19:57 Aero

Eirikrautha wrote on May 31, 2014, 14:50:
Aero wrote on May 30, 2014, 21:41:
I don't know about this. I mean, of course I want an F-86, but as well as the full-detail DCS aircraft are modeled, and I have bought all of them (except the Mi-8), the rest of the sim leaves too much to be desired. Maybe when Edge or whatever they're calling it now is finally finished I'll take an interest again, but I'm sick to death of flying around the Crimea and the engine has serious performance issues with even moderately populated missions.

Basically, DCS is a fantastic button-pushing, rivet-counting sim, but after that, there isn't much to do. The A-10C and Blackshark provided hours of entertainment just learning how to operate their systems. The P-51, on the other hand, I had figured out in a couple hours, and the the UH-1 wasn't much better. The Sabre should be along the same lines.

Still, if and when we get Edge and if we get a Korean theater complete with Mig-15s and period correct Chinese ground units, that would be brilliant. Not counting IL-2 1946+mods, we haven't had a good Korean era combat sim since Mig Alley, and I have trouble imagining a better scenario--you have the power of swept-wing jets, but without all the BVR combat, endless faffing about with sensors, and so on. It was the pinnacle of seat-of-your-pants dogfighting.

All that said, if the price is right, I'll still probably pick it up when it's released. I'm guessing it's going to cost 50 USD though, and that's REALLY hard to justify.

Do you also have the "Flaming Cliffs" DLCs as well (I think that's now part of the whole DCS thing...)? I've been think of getting the latest one (as it looks more like a game and less like flight school to me), but I'm not sure I want to if it has the same flaws (in scenario/campaign diversity)...

What you can do is just download DCS World on Steam, which is free. It comes with the an Su-25 (sort of the Russian equivalent of an A-10), and this will let you check out the basics of the sim without having to pay for anything.

I do own FC3, but the only difference between FC3 and the other DCS stuff is that the aircraft aren't modelled to the same level of detail (can't work the buttons in the cockpit and so on).

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
25. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced May 30, 2014, 21:41 Aero

I don't know about this. I mean, of course I want an F-86, but as well as the full-detail DCS aircraft are modeled, and I have bought all of them (except the Mi-8), the rest of the sim leaves too much to be desired. Maybe when Edge or whatever they're calling it now is finally finished I'll take an interest again, but I'm sick to death of flying around the Crimea and the engine has serious performance issues with even moderately populated missions.

Basically, DCS is a fantastic button-pushing, rivet-counting sim, but after that, there isn't much to do. The A-10C and Blackshark provided hours of entertainment just learning how to operate their systems. The P-51, on the other hand, I had figured out in a couple hours, and the the UH-1 wasn't much better. The Sabre should be along the same lines.

Still, if and when we get Edge and if we get a Korean theater complete with Mig-15s and period correct Chinese ground units, that would be brilliant. Not counting IL-2 1946+mods, we haven't had a good Korean era combat sim since Mig Alley, and I have trouble imagining a better scenario--you have the power of swept-wing jets, but without all the BVR combat, endless faffing about with sensors, and so on. It was the pinnacle of seat-of-your-pants dogfighting.

All that said, if the price is right, I'll still probably pick it up when it's released. I'm guessing it's going to cost 50 USD though, and that's REALLY hard to justify.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Free Weekend
7. Re: PAYDAY 2 Free Weekend May 30, 2014, 02:55 Aero

I haven't played it again after the first couple weeks since its initial release. Has the friendly (teammate) AI improved at all since then? Can they at least do simple things like carry loot bags (even if they have to be ordered to), or unjam the drill, open deposit boxes and other such basic actions?

I only ever managed to to play with one other reasonable human player (friend of mine) and rarely at that due to scheduling, but a lot of it is damn near impossible when your robot teammates can only shoot and, if you're lucky and they're not stuck in a wall, heal you.... "sure, you three guys just mill around here by the van shooting in random directions, I'll run in and get another of the four bags the four of us came here to get... again... through the dozens and dozens of SWAT officers...for the fourth time..."

It's a shame if they haven't put any more effort into them (it wouldn't take a whole lot--they don't have to be great, they just have to be able to perform a few basic, typically scripted actions). It would have made for a reasonably fun single player shooter even without the strategy and finesse that coordinating with real players provides. Having to do *everything* yourself eliminates much of the fun and makes a lot of the missions effectively impossible.

I suppose even if the teammate AI is still as useless as ever, it might be time to give it another go (after the free weekend). Right after the initial release the servers were the typical mess of squeaky biggots with pathological communication problems, and those probably weren't the greatest of their mental deficits. Hopefully it's better now.

On the whole, it's a good game though. Lots of cool ideas, and I like the heist theme. I'd certainly recommend people who don't known it give it a try while it's free.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 29, 2014, 21:12 Aero

For my simming needs, a 40+ inch curved, high resolution OLED monitor would be absolutely brilliant. Of course, they said with virtual certainty we were going to have those 5 years ago too.

Re teleporting data: I think that article may be misleading, I'm hardly an expert in the field, but I believe there exists a proof that quantum entanglement *cannnot* be used to actually send information. The (poorly explained, probably incorrectly simplified) gist of it being: you have one half of an entangled pair, and you examine it and say "aha, it's spin up" and therefore you know, instantaneously, your buddies particle five light years away is spin down. That's amazing and all, but it's just the knowledge of what the particle five light years away is doing that has travelled instantaneously, which which really is a transfer of zero information in the technical sense of 'information.' You would have to be able to force the states of the particle pair in order to actually transmit information. Not that it isn't useful as is. I understand the phenomena is even used today in cryptography, but all it can tell you is whether or not your message has been observed in transit (and there are even questions about that).

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The information I'm basing this claim on is over 20 years old.

edit: Oh, and I should probably add for the sake of the pedants that I understand it's not just like pulling billiard balls out of a sack blindfolded, but that the particle doesn't collapse into a spin up or spin down state until it's looked at, but this doesn't affect the principle.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2014, 23:10.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Confirmed
10. Re: Battlefield Hardline Confirmed May 28, 2014, 10:15 Aero

What the Battlefield series needs is a way to really enforce proper teamwork and a semblance of tactics and strategy. Most of the 14-year-old Rambo fans wouldn't go for it, but I'd like to see classes limited (no, you can't all be snipers!) and assigned by some sort of merit system. I'd like to see objective-based actions the only thing that shows up on the leaderboard. I'd like to see some semblance of the chain of command--NCOs who can assign objectives, and point deductions for those who run off and do their own thing. And so on..

A big, wild free-for-all TDM can be good fun, but it gets old quick. This is all a pipe-dream of course, because even games where the've tried really hard to accomplish this sort of thing like Red Orchestra generally fail.

Bah, I'm just cranky from not enough sleep. I'll say though, when I played BF2 with 32 serious (but not too serious) players, all working together, providing mutual, combined arms support, and making strategic and tactical decisions, that was some of the best gaming of my life.

And yeah, I know there are private servers, clans and leagues where this happens, but it would be great if it was something you might even occasionally find on public servers.

Question, did they ever sort out the voice comms in BF3/BF4? Despite some technical hiccups, the chain-of-command based comms in BF2 were exactly the right idea, and that one concept would certainly bring a modicum of sense to the bunny hopping, dolphin-diving chaos. It can be a hard world for someone like me who isn't gung-ho enough for something like the serious ArmA groups, but wants the semi-ridiculous action of Battlefield combined with just a bit of teamwork an thoughtfulness.

News Comments > SSFIVAE Replacing GFWL with Steamworks Too
4. Re: SSFIVAE Replacing GFWL with Steamworks Too May 28, 2014, 08:21 Aero

I tred SSF4 online a couple times, and even though my opponents were good and farly evenly matched (I'm somewhere in between a button masher and one of those guys who practices for hours mastering all the combos), and even with pings in the 40 and 50's's, it really just didn't work for me. 40ms is a long time in that sort of game. Maybe they've improved it somehow (seems like a tall order), but I just couldn't get into it. It totally changes the game.

A lot of people are VERY into it though, so it must be working for them. For my money, SF4 is the best brawler to come out in many, many years (full acceptance that the 3D fighters like Tekken were lacking finally dawned on them), but without someone there next to you and no lag, it's just not the same. I'm not into it enough to go to the weekly club meetups, and none of my immediate friends play, so it's a lost cause for the time being. I do have friends though who rent a section of a bar once a week, bring in their gear and have live tournaments. They all seem to be into Marvel Versus Capcom though, which is just way too busy for my diminishing reflexes.

Ah, but anyways, that was just a rant. Way to go Capcom. Way go away GFWL,

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews
70. Re: Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews May 28, 2014, 03:42 Aero

I'm tempted, it seems if I use a gamepad that a many of the biggest gripes don't apply. That said, I'm a little cashed on the GTA clones (but can still appreciate a good one). Overall, though, performance is my primary concern. I've got a 580GTX which is still serving me very well in pretty much everything that matters so that I don't feel any urge to upgrade, but the rumors of it being a GPU-devouring game (and not commensurately pretty to boot), put me off. A rolling benchmark demo would be nice. I will admit, it's times like this when seeking out a bootleg copy doesn't seem a bad idea-- I'll take a risk that a game just isn't good, but when it comes to a game being effectively unplayable, that's a different story. Not that I will, of course. Eventually someone I trust with similar specs who knows how to keep a tight ship and get the most out of what they got will provide the low down (that Nvidia article was nice, but I still don't entirely trust it).

On a semi-unrelated note, Rock Paper Shotgun tends to be one of my goto sources for reviews, so what they have to say is interesting in light of some of the higher reviews from the traditionally less trustworthy sources.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews May 21, 2014, 12:26 Aero

Tesla Effect seems to be a love/hate sort of game. Personally, I love it, but I was surprised to see how low some of the reviews were. Granted, there are a few crap puzzles and weak bits, but overall I enjoyed the hell out of it.  

News Comments > X Rebirth 2.0 Released
20. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 20, 2014, 13:26 Aero

It looks like we're now at what the initial release should have been (by Egosoft standards of 1.0), and I'll give it another go. The problem is, by the time it's really fixed up, I'll likely be much more interested in Elite Dangerous. At the sale price of $25, it would still be hard to recommend... maybe $15 if the seriously game-breaking problems are sorted out. It will never be like the previous games where people put hundreds of hours into it, but it could be an okay 20 or so hour diversion.  

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off in September
5. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off in September May 9, 2014, 11:20 Aero

Cliffs of Dover has improved tremendously, but it's pretty much all the work of modders (noteably Team Fusion).

Oleg is now minimally involved in a forthcoming WW2 sim based on the DCS engine (I forget what it's called offhand... it's a ways off yet).

News Comments > The 7th Guest 3 Crowdfunding
1. Re: The 7th Guest 3 Crowdfunding May 7, 2014, 23:21 Aero

Yeah, I dunno... the same gameplay with better graphics, isn't selling me on anything.

My advice would be to make it into one of those interactive Youtube videos and try to recoup on it that way. I'd probably spend 20 minutes screwing around with it for the sake of nostalgia.

"...and then the children STARTED DYING!"

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo