Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 779 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
95. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 18:48 Aero

Dacron wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 18:01:
I tried sub-systems targeting (aiming for power plant) as I have heard you can destroy targets before 0%... but even targeting power plants they only blew up when they hit 0%, is there a better subsystem to target for quicker kills?

I don't usually bother with subsystems unless it's a weapon that's giving me particular grief, but life support can be a good one.

edit:

Oh yeah, and ships definitely pop when the power plant is destroyed regardless of their remaining hull. Really, it might be just as well to target it as a matter of course and maybe you get lucky. So far as I know there's no downside to targeting a subsystem and missing because it's on the other side of the ship or something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
83. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 17:03 Aero

Quboid wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 16:45:
Is there any way to have the mouse always be used for looking around except when on a mouse-driven menu (i.e. when the pointer is visible)?

I believe there is an option for that under control options. I forget what it's called exactly and it might not be exactly what you're looking for. Frankly the frontend UI leaves something to be desired. I'd assumed that would get a bigger makeover by 1.0.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer
26. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Details; Trailer Dec 11, 2014, 12:13 Aero

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could make a trailer that was at least as exciting and impressive by just editing together random Youtube gameplay clips. With FD's ability to manipulate external views, they could have so easily made something both amazing looking and all the more awesome for being in-game footage. Just in my own play, I've had some crazy cinematic-like moments.

Weird. Anyways, on a related note, Gamma 2.0 is definitely a good solid step in the right direction. I wasn't expecting these sorts of significant improvements during the gamma phase. There are, of course, people suffering from the usual x.0 bugs, but FD have shown a remarkable ability to quash those extremely quickly.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2014, 15:18 Aero

As the number 3 ranked Doom player in the greater DC area (well, for a few weeks anyways and mostly due to luck) let me tell you, you want that vertical mouse action and you need to make that forward and backward mouse movement work for you. It makes you considerably harder to hit when you're zigging and zagging all over the place.  

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
90. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 10, 2014, 01:04 Aero

warmbluelasers wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 17:15:
This is sad. I was starting to get excited about this game as it neared the finish line, but these last minute decisions paint this as not the game I'm looking for.

Guess I'll keep waiting.

Not wiping between gamma and 1.0 was always the plan. That only changed about a month ago when they said they couldn't at that point guarantee there wouldn't be a wipe because it might become necessary for technical reasons (which, naturally, everybody interpreted as "there will be a wipe on the 16th").

Those people pissed about other people having a three week head start aren't really grasping what Elite is really about. It is not Eve. It is not really about competing with other players. It is not primarily a PVP game, though PVP is certainly a part of it. The idea was to take the Elite 1/2/3 formula but to add MMO-ish multiplayer. A lot of later generation gamers probably won't find it to their liking. You need to bring your own imagination and if you just treat it as a pure video game with rules and the object is to "win," then it's probably not your thing.

All that aside, personally, I don't think it will really be truly "done" (leaving aside the expansions) for a few months yet. I think there's still a fair bit of tweaking that is still necessary to make things like the economy run more smoothly and demystifying elements of the faction interactions (which unfortunately can only be done by trial and error), and the civilization and NPC part of the galaxy could use some fleshing out and variety.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
27. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Dec 6, 2014, 22:50 Aero

They certainly aren't doing themselves any favors so far by mostly using exactly the same script for every trailer, only changing up the environment and a few minor details.

At the very least, this one, though still just as contrived, lacked the graphical perfection of the other ones, making it a bit more believable.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Balance Patch Coming
7. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Balance Patch Coming Dec 1, 2014, 17:10 Aero

In the SP campaign, it really was the more subtle things that the better IW COD titles were good at. You didn't run into invisible walls because for whatever subtle reason, you didn't feel like going that way. The levels felt bigger because even though it was as linear as always, they were very good at shepherding the player so the only way to go was the way they would have gone anyways. The enemies were spawned in a way that kept driving you forward with the illusion of fighting your way toward where you wanted to go.

I'm sure some of it is down to me getting wise to the tricks, but the IW COD releases were always noticeably better than the Sledgehammer ones despite there being no real obvious difference. All of the COD game's campaigns I've played lately lacked that subtle mastery that the earlier games had.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
15. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 18, 2014, 19:06 Aero

Kevin Lowe wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 17:58:
Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 15:32:
Yeah that is strange, I wonder why they have 2 settings for the same thing. Oh well, glad it worked out, I'll apply it myself when I get home.
Writing a different node name to an XML file than what the reader will be expecting? Yep, done that one before.

One enables or disables mouse acceleration, the other controls its magnitude.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
87. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 17:04 Aero

Prez wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:17:
I suppose the big question is what happens to my game when my internet goes down? I remember a marathon Borderlands 2 session that started at 6 pm one night and went on until 7 am the next morning. Sometime in the night my internet went down and did not come back, and the only way I noticed was a message appeared in the chat window saying I had lost connection to the servers and all my progress would be saved locally until re-synced with the servers (Proving if nothing else that Steam is absolutely NOT always on DRM). If I try to do something in Elite with the internet down what will happen?

Generally, nothing. I've never lost anything due to my computer crashing. There probably is a worst case scenario where you might lose something, but you couldn't possibly lose much. Every time you are awarded a bounty, buy something, sell something or do anything that affects your characters traits it's immediately saved to the server. I've had my computer crash just a few seconds after destroying a ship, and when I logged back in I still had the bounty from that kill and was placed back in the same region of space.

I think the upshot of this whole mess with offline being removed is that FDEV need to give a detailed explanation of how and when server interaction occurs, what the server is responsible, and what the client is responsible for. There is a lot of bad information spreading around right now (such as the belief that there is no single player mode), and FDEV have one themselves no favors by casually mentioning the offline chop on a Friday and then going home for the weekend.

17. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 14:46 Aero

I should also clarify my feelings about always-on online DRM (and I'm still not yet convinced piracy had anything to do with it in this case). If a game requires a constant connection to a server just to verify legitimate use, this is bullshit DRM. If it requires a constant connection, but uses that connection to provide features and enhancements that wouldn't be possible without that network connection, that's not the same thing at all. Give and take.

9. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 14:37 Aero

It's definitely a shitstorm, but I wouldn't go so far as to assume yet that it's all greed motivated monitization and DRM scheming. The newsletter didn't explain much, and I'm waiting for a more detailed explanation before I pass judgement. It doesn't really jive since they're offering refunds. I don't see what value data mining would provide. The DRM idea is a bit more plausible, but I still don't think they would have risked this backlash (and they had to know it would be bad) just to prevent a small amount of piracy.

Really, my guess is that since the online nature made up FD's primary vision of the game, they focused on that and just couldn't make a purely offline version work with the time and resources they had. That's not good, but nor is it evil--sometimes intended features just don't work out.What they did wrong was waiting until a month before release before announcing it, and doing it in sort of a sugar-coated way (though that's typical of all corporate bad news).

Though it doesn't affect me personally because I play the online single player mode, I do know a number of people (big fans going back to '84 who've been dreaming about Elite 4 for decades) who are now shit out of luck because they have flaky connectivity, and it's hard to imagine the magnitude of that disappointment.

I'm still wondering if there will be a separate single player mode aside from the current solo mode. And that isn't really clear. I doubt it, but it could be done. Solo mode doesn't use much bandwidth, but a loss of connectivity could kick you off. This is mostly because you can use he same character in solo mode and public group mode, so it needs to keep you in sync with the server to prevent cheating. Disallowing a player to switch between this potential halfway mode and public play (which they are't interested in anyways) would allow a lot more leeway, and you would only really need to connect to the servers when you entered a new star system. It would not solve anything for people with no connection, but it would help those with flaky or slow connections.

We really need more info. I've had no reason to doubt FD's ethics or motivation until now, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. That doesn't help the people who won't be able to play, of course, but it will make me feel better about the future.

News Comments > DCS Su-27 Trailer
7. Re: DCS Su-27 Trailer Nov 11, 2014, 14:45 Aero

Very, very sick of the map. DCS World could have been so much more than it is, if only the development pace wasn't sub-glacial. I really, really hope 2.0.0 makes a huge difference and isn't delayed yet again.

I did buy the F-86 when it was on sale for $15, though, because it's such a cool aircraft. Shame that it's unlikely there will ever be any enemies (aside from the AI Mig-15) to fight against that make sense. So, for $15 it was okay, but DCS is at a weird point where the basic engine is showing its age, and the most of the third party aircraft don't really fit in any one unified scenario. Cool as Mig-21's are, I don't want to fly them against F-15's. Cool as the Huey is, I don't want to fly anywhere near Shilkas or even modern manpads.

I'll probably keep trying the Flaming Cliffs aircraft as they're updated to the AFM (and the Su-27 certainly is quite an aircraft), but even with the updates, I already played the hell out of that sim years ago.

Basically, as far as the overal DCS World package is concerned, what we have right now is Lock On Modern Air Combat upgraded to about a 2007 level with a few modern quality but disjoint baubles thrown in.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2014, 19:03 Aero

I was maybe gonna pick up COD AW, then I read it doesn't support 21:9 monitors (or anything other than 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10), which is definitely BS for a modern AAA shooter. Most companies can manage an aspect ratio agnostic rendering engine.

Naw, I don't want to mess around with widescreen fixes because it's the principle of the thing.

News Comments > Project CARS Delayed
4. Re: Project CARS Delayed Oct 17, 2014, 11:59 Aero

Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 11:43:
which they admit is as much to avoid competing with a bunch of higher-profile releases as it is to add more polish to the game

Makes a lot of sense.

Yeah... but based on the state of the current version, it was pretty clear there was no way they were going to make their November release date even going back to when it was originally announced (not that it is or was in a bad state or that development is going slowly or stumbled, it's just clearly got several months worth of polishing work to do). I suspect Bandai demanded they announce a release date (the original one) for logistical or legal reasons and SMS just gave them the very best case scenario. I remember thinking it had to be a mistake when they announced the original release date, and that became more and more obvious as the time drew closer.

In short, the competition motive might be part of it, but I suspect it's minor compared to the "polishing" bit.

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $58M
41. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 13, 2014, 03:12 Aero

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Star Citizen is a big wait and see. I paid $45 or whatever to support it back when, but they have more than enough money so I certainly won't be paying the prices they are asking for ship pre-purchaeses.

Pretty much, the bottom line is that I'm sick of their PR. All of the actual content they've released so far is underwhelming. That's understandable given how far they are from completion, but my plans at this moment are to mostly ignore it until they have something worthwhile to show.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to have a say in the direction of development and all that, but it seems pretty clear from how things have gone so far that it will be a 2016 release at the earliest. It's way, way too early for hype. I think it was worth throwing in what I did to do my bit to help out with a project that could be pretty cool, but I don't think it will be anything like as cool as a lot of people seem to be imagining it will be. I'm hope I'm wrong, but it will probably be another year before we can even really speculate on that.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 7, 2014, 23:07 Aero

I think the problem here is actually that that guy's head is just fundamentally incompatible with an NBA player body.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2014, 19:31 Aero

On the other hand as a result of coin miners, the price of the 780 Ti cards might plummet. If it's miners driving the prices up, the 780 Ti could end up cheaper than the 970. Given how much more power efficient the 900 series is than the 700 series, any miners using GPUs will need one, but power is not much of a concern to gamers.

The Maxwell GPUs seem to be a pretty big shake up, one way or the other. It's the most impressed I've been with a generational leap in a while, especially considering they couldn't use a finer manufacturing process. I haven't been following Nvidia or TSMC's plans, but it will be interesting to see what the half step (Ti presumably) will be... if they can manage a 16nm stepping they could be pretty amazing.

And, of course, AMD likely has a similarly interesting response.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2014, 14:42 Aero

The impression that I'm getting is that it has a really slick production, but some mechanics and plot direction issues that some will dislike more than others. It's the sort of game that once you see through the magic to the workings beneath, depending on your predisposition and experience, might lose a lot of its charm. If, for instance, you lose the willing suspension of disbelief that allows you to play as though the alien is 'stalking' you through the ship, rather than just spawning in somewhere as a result of a algorithm (even if its very clever), that could take a lot away from the experience.

There are times I wish I didn't know how this stuff really worked, like when I was younger or maybe just more imaginative, and I could take what was on the screen at face value without seeing the strings and plywood backdrops creating the illusion.

Of course, I haven't played it, but I can very easily see this game either being terrible or brilliant, entirely depending on who is playing it.

News Comments > Morning Patches
8. Re: Morning Patches Oct 1, 2014, 17:31 Aero

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 13:12:
There is also a completely offline single player mode which you can use if you like, as well as a private group server mode.

It's probably worth expanding on this, depending on how you meant it, in the current beta versions the "solo" mode is not *completely* offline. You still maintain a continuous connection to the servers and everything is exactly the same as the full online mode except you will never encounter other human players.

As far as I'm aware, the plan is still for the final version to have an entirely offline mode in the traditional sense.

News Comments > Morning Patches
4. Re: Morning Patches Oct 1, 2014, 13:33 Aero

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 13:12:
Weird, I never looked in to Elite Dangerous before and not sure how it was never on my radar. Does it play like Eve without spreadsheets and more action-oriented? Does it function well with a KB/M? Newbie friendly?

I'm going to look in to this today.

The answers to your question: 1) Not really, depending on what you mean. Action, yes. No spreadsheetness. Pure PVP: no (but there is PVP). 2) Mouse+KB: Some say yes, some say no. A joystick is better. 3) Much more so newbie friendly than EVE, but there is a significant, but far from overwhelming learning curve.

Watching some Youtube videos is probably the best way to get a feeling for it. There probably won't be a whole lot about Beta2, but the Beta1 based videos will cover most of what you need to know, only there isn't as much to do in Beta1.

779 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo