Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 885 (Graduate)
User ID 40534
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Plans
3. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Plans Nov 19, 2015, 19:27 Aero
I'd say there's about a 75% chance if I use a terminal, I'll get stuck to it. I understand that's common enough to cast some serious doubt over their QA effort.

Disabling clipping between Dogmeat and the player would save some annoying and unnecessary deaths as well.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > On Fallout 4's Graphics
6. Re: On Fallout 4's Graphics Nov 4, 2015, 19:52 Aero
Yeah, pretty as they make the textures, lighting and post effects, the character animations are still all going to be on the early 2000's slope of the uncanny valley.

It's not a deal breaker at all, but I really wish they'd put some serious effort into remedying that.
News Comments > Falcon Collection on
4. Re: Falcon Collection on Oct 23, 2015, 19:07 Aero
Shok wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 18:54:
I remember playing Falcon 3 on my old PC's back in the day. I had a special boot disk just to get the memory free to be able to load it. I remember it being pretty buggy though. Of course, it wasn't as easy to get patches for games back then. I've still got the manuals and disks for this around somewhere though.

Even so I really have no desire to play this again with the graphics and details in flight sims these days.

Yeah, I can't really see anyone taking these seriously in themselves. Since it gets you Falcon BMS too (free mod), which is even now still probably the best modern flight sim, it's a good deal. The only area where, say, DCS has it beat is in graphics, but with the updated DX9 graphics engine and more detailed models and higher-res cleverly designed land tile sets, it looks plenty good enough. And on top of that, it has the Falcon 4 dynamic campaign, which has yet to be matched.

I definitely have lots of memories wrestling with my config.sys and autoexec.bat to make Falcon 3.0 work. I think it needed something like 605K of available main memory, which left you only 35K for the OS and all your drivers. I can't imagine how I managed to get DOS, my mouse driver, SBOS (Ultrasound Sound Blaster emulator) and the CD-ROM drivers (I had Falcon Gold) all inside that limit. Maybe I didn't need the CD drivers. A year or two later everything used protected mode extenders and you didn't have to worry about memory anymore, and Falcon 3.0 was definitely the white wale of boot disk fiddling.
News Comments > Falcon Collection on
1. Re: Falcon Collection on Oct 23, 2015, 18:50 Aero
This should be a boon to a many people. Copies of Falcon 4.0 can go for upwards of $100 on auction sites. Since you need the Falcon 4.0 executable to install Falcon BMS (which is great), it's the only option for people who are very, very serious about not pirating anything who want to play BMS. Personally, I figure since I bought Falcon 4.0 back when, even though the disk is long since destroyed, an exception can be made seeing as how giving some random guy $100 doesn't really benefit the developers. For six bucks though, and everything legitimately connecting up at least to whoever still holds the rights to it, I'm game.  
News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer
15. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer Oct 23, 2015, 18:13 Aero
peteham wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 17:43:
I need a mod that allows me to skip the hacking game (or replace with a skill check) before I can even consider playing this, unfortunately. I hear it's pretty much exactly the same as the previous installment, and boy did I hate it by the end.

Problem is, my OCD won't allow me to skip it when it's such a huge source of both story/background *and* XP.

I thought the hacking was okay. It's probably the best "hacking" mini game I can think of, which isn't saying much for it other than it wasn't too complex or stressful with time limits (and when you did get "discovered" or whatever, and there was a time limit, it was always pretty obvious whether it would be enough time to finish or not). I usually hate time limits. It did help to always have a few Nuke viruses on hand. I don't remember for sure, but there was something I didn't understand about it until two thirds through the game, and I think it was that if you captured the 'security' nodes, you automatically got all the bonus stuff. It wasn't always possible with the one way connection things, but usually it was.

Anyways, overall I think it succeeded at being unobtrusive, which is all I ask of a hacking mini game. I think one of the Mass Effect games comes to mind, where you matched up low-res images of source code that were scrolling by. I hated that. I didn't much like the sliding-blocks puzzle water-pipe thing in Bioshock much either because of the time limit. At least in DXHR, you only sometimes got a time limit and you could always plan out your route beforehand without a timer. It pretty much came down to a dice roll whether you succeeded or not, really.
News Comments > Infinity: Battlescape Video; Kickstarter Plans
5. Re: Infinity: Battlescape Video; Kickstarter Plans Oct 19, 2015, 16:47 Aero
mellis wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 14:37:
Looks very much like the result of a panic in the wake of Frontier Studios "Elite: Dangerous - Horizons" planet landing videos. Trying to get in there and milk the Kickstarter teat before the competition beats them to the punch. Even their space-ship looks like it's from Elite...

Meh, fair enough, I'm pretty sure they started off shamelessly intending to create the Elite 4 that it seemed like Frontier was never going to make. To that end, I'm disappointed to see the "MMO" tag on it, though, because I'd be much more interested in a single player experience (with time acceleration and saved games and not having to 'balance' everything) than another MMO.

I wish them the best because their technology does look pretty cool, but I'm fairly cashed out when it comes to investing in products that might potentially come together a few years from now.

Since their technology is pretty cool, though, what I would do if I were them (and what the space sim scene could really use) is to develop their tech as a middleware space sim development kit that they can license out to people more into the game side of things than the technology side of things, the latter of which I-Novae seem to be. Hell, if they'd been a few years faster they could have had CIG as their first customer and everybody, probably CIG especially, would have benefited from that.
News Comments > Transformers: Devastation Released
3. Re: Transformers: Devastation Released Oct 6, 2015, 18:25 Aero
I have to say, it's probably not something I would play (I was always more of a Star Wars/GI Joe kid (and for some reason, GoBots), but I had my share of xformers), but it certainly does look pretty cool.  
News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Early Play Bonus Scrapped
12. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Early Play Bonus Scrapped Oct 1, 2015, 17:11 Aero
I would say it's generally a bad idea to pre-order any game, but I wouldn't read too much into this. To me this reads like a company that knows it has a hot product (the IP at least, regardless of the quality of the game) and is trying to milk it for whatever they can. Their greatest sin is probably giving the marketing team too much money and too much power.

Personally, this is one of few games I might pre-order because I'm pretty sure it will be decent at worst and I like the IP, but I'd never pre-order something months in advance. Maybe I'd buy it when Steam pre-loads start at the earliest. The only time I can remember pre-ordering early made sense was before the internet kept tabs on everything, and games were sort of just released whenever. That was actually kind of cool. One day you'd get home to find a surprise package on your doorstep from Chips and Bits or wherever.
News Comments > WarBirds 2016 on Steam
2. Re: WarBirds 2016 on Steam Sep 28, 2015, 22:58 Aero
Baenwort wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 19:59:
I still prefer AirWarrior's flight model for the p51.

Yeah, but the Prodigy subscription is such a drag.
News Comments > Elite Dangerous SteamVR Support Plans
25. Re: Elite Dangerous SteamVR Support Plans Sep 21, 2015, 18:40 Aero
IMO, what Elite Dangerous is missing is people, or NPCs to be precise. The "Powers" addon went a way toward addressing this, but still more needs to be done. They don't need voice acted or even hand-written dialog or scripted missions, but it would be nice to have some kind of contact possible at each station--rather like the "we don't own this place, but we have an agreement with those who do" in Freelancer. That space pub interface added a lot to the "life" of Freelancer's universe. For instance, rather than just a "black market" menu, I'd like a black market connection, maybe even with a procedurally generated picture to go with it (like in Frontier), and this NPC remembers me and I have a reputation with him and so on. Maybe he has special missions or special deals on equipment or information or whatever. Little things like that add up to differentiation between stations and systems, and that's where ED is at its weakest from my point of view. It does almost everything right, but astronomy aside, each system does tend to seem a lot like every other system with only a little variation when you get down to it.  
News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Sep 12, 2015, 18:14 Aero
harlock wrote on Sep 12, 2015, 16:41:
complaining about the "unreal-ness" of having balloons airlift guys and stuff, is just so retarded tho

Yeah, I absolutely agree. I would much prefer a good gameplay mechanic with some contrived explanation than weakening the gameplay so that it seems more plausible in regard to "realism." Yes, it's stupid, but it's fun. If I had to carry all those guys back to helicopter one by one, that would be tedious and boring (nevermind how they're magically indoctrinated once they're picked up). The real name of the game is a lone super spec-ops agent infiltrating enemy bases, and that it achieves brilliantly.

The important things to the gameplay, like how the enemy reacts how and how their infrastructure operates (power, comms, radar, etc), are all brilliantly and believably executed.

Granted, I would have preferred a less convoluted and (to my Western tastes) bizarre plot, but again that's secondary to the gameplay. I could probably count on one hand the number of games where a great plot made up for weak gameplay, and none of them are even particularly memorable, but I can think of lots and lots of games I fondly remember because of their excellent gameplay.
News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Sep 12, 2015, 15:29 Aero
His reviews have certainly begun slanting from "I don't care for this aspect of gameplay" to "including this aspect of gameplay is bad design." I liked what was originally coming out of Youtube reviewers, not hiding their personal biases in an attempt to appear impartial, because then you just find one whose tastes are similar to your own and watch those. That works. It does limit their audience, though.  
News Comments > The Witcher III Cost $81M
5. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 9, 2015, 20:55 Aero
Witcher 3 is one of very, very few games that have come out over the last few years that I thought was actually well worth the $60 I paid. Granted, it maybe is a little too long, and I'm not finished with it and may never finish, but it wasn't until I'd put in 70 hours that I began to feel it was getting a little bit monotonous. That's pretty good, especially since I was putting in like 15 hours a week (I average about 6 hours of gaming a week in general). Most games, barring sims and other such things that have near infinite replay-ability in small doses over months, even if they had 70+ hours worth of content, I usually tire of after 20 or so hours (FC4, ahem)--and that's if they're *pretty* good. The fact that I was still engrossed, having fun, and looking forward to playing more at hour 60+ says a lot for Witcher 3, even with its few but irksome faults (like fairly boring combat).

I've been eyeing MGS5 as a possible candidate for another $60 purchase (the more convinced I become it doesn't suffer from what put me off MGS4 after two hours), but these days very, very few games seem worth more than $30 to me at most. That's okay though, that's what sales are for, and even MGS5 will probably be in the low $40's if I wait until the next Steam sale, but I'm thinking I'll pick it up this weekend anyways.
News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 20:37 Aero
Back when it was newish, and Hulu put a 15 or 30 second advertisement in the usual two or three minute ad breaks for shows, that was perfect. At the very least, I won't pay attention to several minutes of advertising. It's more likely I will find some way to circumvent it or just not watch at all. 15 or 30 seconds, on the other hand, is quick enough so that I may as well just keep paying attention. I can remember advertisements I saw on Hulu five years ago, but can't think of a single current TV ad.

It may be that I'm not typical, but it's a shame that model didn't work out and the ads became more valuable with their scarcity. It was win-win. I get to watch shows for free, they get to target ads at me that though fewer in number, I'll actually watch.
News Comments > Satellite Reign Released
22. Re: Satellite Reign Released Aug 28, 2015, 17:37 Aero
Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 17:04:
So more CRPG like Shadowrun is what you're saying?

I'd say more tactical RTS with a few CRPG elements. There is no dialog with NPCs or anything like that, for instance. The plot, what there is of it, is all in the mission briefings. I haven't played all the way through, so I can't say for certain, but there also isn't any mission scripting like the parade mission Panbient wants. The city is pretty static. There are enemy compounds and areas with guards patrolling and reacting to the player, but that's about it.

There is some "emergent" stuff going on in the city like citizens fighting or running from police on occasion, but it's not clear what triggers or regulates it or if it's just random happenstance.

I don't want to come off sounding like I don't like it, because I do, but people ought to know there isn't much depth beyond what you see in the videos.
News Comments > Satellite Reign Released
19. Re: Satellite Reign Released Aug 28, 2015, 16:30 Aero
It's good but a lot more superficial than I would have hoped for. I do think it's easily worth the asking price, though. That said, I hope they're successful enough to make a sequel with more depth. I'd like, for instance, to be able to have my own corporate HQ and to have the city itself evolve to reflect the decisions I've made rather than just being a static backdrop. I'd also like the competing corporations to have their own overall strategic AIs similarly conducting operations to undermine my own efforts.  
News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 18, 2015, 23:36 Aero
SlimRam wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 22:42:
The only way this can possibly end is badly.

Nah, I think it will probably end up more or less okay eventually. It's just that we're going to get a $15M game that cost $100M to make.
News Comments > John Wick VR Game Announced
6. Re: John Wick VR Game Announced Aug 7, 2015, 22:39 Aero
Pretty good film, but it wouldn't be any worse if they cut out everything except the action scenes. They were very well done. It takes quite a bit of doing to make a gunfight where one guy defeats several others attacking him simultaneously remotely believable. I can't say that I found the character John Wick at all interesting though.  
News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 17:54 Aero
I have been kind of wondering if Microsoft announced they were going to do a half-assed "HD" remake of Freelancer, if I might actually be a bit more excited about that than whatever SC is.  
News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced
11. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 11:45 Aero
Planetary landings was always planned as the second expansion and was always going to cost $50. The alpha backers already paid for it ($150 for the initial release plus two major expansions--planetary landing and first person whatever). A lot of people seem surprised by this.  
885 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo