Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 714 (Apprentice)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands 1 & Civilization III/IV MP Moving to Steam
6. Re: Borderlands 1 & Civilization III/IV MP Moving to Steam Apr 23, 2014, 14:11 Aero

I had a hell of a good time playing MP Vietcong--way ahead of it's time in many ways.

On the other hand, that was 10 years ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 2D Prince of Persia Rumor
4. Re: 2D Prince of Persia Rumor Apr 18, 2014, 03:18 Aero

This sort of brings to mind the Flashback remake that allowed the character animations to be interrupted to make the controls more responsive. It's a small thing, but it spoiled the feel of controls and it just wasn't the same game at all. POP, Flashback and Another World were all about planning your moves out a few steps ahead and then executing it properly.

Of course, that doesn't mean these guys won't find something else that works well on some other level (like the Sands of Time did), but the blurb seems to suggest that they aren't going with the traditional rotoscope control style. You wouldn't need to worry about blending animations in that case because the whole point was pretty much to time your inputs to make the animations work.

News Comments > 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners
57. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 16:35 Aero

I don't entirely trust Steam's statistics. I looked at my account once with one of those sites and there were close to a dozen games it said I had never played at all, but I had definitely not only played, but completed. They tended to be older games (I created my account whatever day it was HL2 was released).

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016
12. Re: NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016 Mar 14, 2014, 13:34 Aero

Thanks Creston for the power mode suggestion. Hope that works. It isn't a huge deal since Windows can gracefully recover from the graphics driver crashing these days, but it's damn annoying.

There actually probably isn't much reason for me to even be using the latest drivers with a 500 series these days anyways of course.

edit: Actually, I should look into the UPS too. I've got it on one, but a few weeks back I was noticing weird things like when I would get a static shock across the room, Windows would play the USB plugin sound effect. Ditto sometimes when I flicked a light switch. Never quite interested me enough to check the logs though. I blamed it on the Razer mouse being a piece of crap (and it hasn't happened since I switched to the default mouse driver and just put up with the annoying pulsing LEDs--though it has also been warmer and more humid since).

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2014, 13:40.

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016
4. Re: NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016 Mar 14, 2014, 11:12 Aero

I've not been happy with Nvidia drivers for the last several WHQL releases for my 580GTX. The display driver crashes at random every couple days when doing normal desktop things. Though it could be something new on my end, I suspect that the testing of drivers on hardware that's a few generations old has been relegated to the summer intern who won't be back until June.

Of course I don't really believe it, but a part of me also suspects planned obsolescence. I would upgrade if I felt any pressing need, but pretty much every game that's GPU bound is still running fine on max or near max settings. This might not be an uncommon feeling, particularly as the new console generation apparently isn't all that impressive hardware-wise.

News Comments > THIEF Patch & Tips
11. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 9, 2014, 18:57 Aero

I'd actually go so far as to say the windows are an imaginative solution to the loading problem. Granted it shouldn't exist on the PC version, and I would prefer it weren't a button mashing thing (when is that ever a good idea?) but rather just an animation that played.

My biggest gripe with Thief, though, is that despite the fairly nice graphics, the levels feel distinctly like movie sets made of cheap plywood facades. That isn't such a big deal in a game like COD, where there's lots of action, but it really kills a game supposedly based at least a little bit on exploration.

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
15. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 17:43 Aero

I would dearly love to be able to "lend" my steam games individually to other friends the same way you can lend some e-books. I can imagine why they wouldn't like this of course, but I believe it should be within my rights to do so.

This whole family thing, on the other hand, is too cumbersome and of limited value to a fairly small audience.

News Comments > Rambo Trailer; Game Release Next Month?
3. Re: Rambo Trailer; Game Release Next Month? Jan 10, 2014, 12:27 Aero

Sure, it will probably suck, but at least it will have realistic Hollywood physics that it can play with a straight face.  

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up
13. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 15:24 Aero

I would be very much down with a system that let me lend or give games to friends. Legally, it should all be on the up-and-up (and you could probably not-unreasonably argue that it is my right to transfer my license to someone else), but god knows they can't have that.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 12, 2013, 14:46 Aero

I'd be inclined to just say I never received it. The only proof they likely have is the shipping records on their end, which clearly aren't trustworthy. Let them try to prove I have it. The best they could do was say that I signed for a package that may have had anything in it.

That said, I'm not an asshole (most of the time), so if they were polite about it and offered to make up for my inconvenience in some reasonable way, I'd send it back.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
16. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 17:42 Aero

I might not be looking hard enough, but I haven't read anything indicating a release timeframe. Are we talking 2014, 2015, 2016, next month, next Tuesday, no tentative schedule at all?  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
12. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 16:26 Aero

Hard to say whether it's too big a game for indie devs. Looked at from a certain point of view, *any* space sim is too big for any developer, and the only answer is clever procedural generation of the universe, events and characters. That said, obviously the more money, people and talent thrown at the problem the better. However, I believe it is possible for four people to pull off something amazing.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 1, 2013, 15:45 Aero

Presumably it will just be used as an extra charge against someone they arrest for something else and then find evidence they were printing guns. It could probably also be used to get a search warrant for someone suspected of printing guns.

So no, it won't actually stop anything or make much difference, but it's the obvious and likely only course if Philadelphia doesn't want people printing guns.

News Comments > Open-World Star Wars Game Clues
11. Re: Open-World Star Wars Game Clues Nov 30, 2013, 15:13 Aero

In my opinion, the more the Star Wars license gets whored out, the better. After 15 years of being locked up in the tower only to be let out on a leash when it suited the marketing department and the madman Lucas's whims, it needs to get out and explore the world. There will be a lot of mistakes made along the way, but if we get one good title for every three or four disasters, we'll still be doing a lot better than we were.  

News Comments > State of Decay Breakdown DLC Delay?
12. Re: State of Decay Breakdown DLC Delay? Nov 29, 2013, 17:09 Aero

Basically, this seems like a good proof of concept for a bigger budget game to me. I'm probably only going to put a few hours into it, but I hope they follow it up with a more developed sequel.

A bigger game, with better graphics and more detailed game mechanics where you start as a survivor of the zombie outbreak and the ultimate endgame is to restore order/civilization to the open-world seems interesting on a lot of levels.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 12:49 Aero

Weird thing, whenever I exit Rebirth, Rage is selected in Steam for some reason. Must be a sign.

Anyways, I agree that X Rebirth will be good one day. That day is probably pretty far off though--maybe a year or so going off how long it took for X3 to be fixed (2.0).

So, the wise man waits a year and buys it for $10 when it's fixed. Despite it's obvious and sometimes infuriatingly unfished state, though, I have put 18 hours into it, most of which I enjoyed. That's more than I can say for a lot of games I've paid $40-odd for.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts
51. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts Nov 6, 2013, 04:45 Aero

They definitely lost their way after MW2. I'm not even really sure who is making what now, but even the better Treyarch games were noticeably worse than the original IW games. (I'm mostly thinking SP here for illustration, but it carries over to MP too).

The beauty of COD 1,2, MW (in particular) and MW2 (to a slightly lesser extent) was that, even though they were rigidly scripted, it was executed so brilliantly and seamlessly that it didn't matter. There was definite and legitimate genius at work behind the design. They managed to create the levels and scripting such that, though there really was only the one way I could actually go, even if I really was free to advance as I pleased, their preordained path was the one I happened to be taking anyways of my own free will. On later playthroughs the smoke and mirrors would show, but with the first experience, it seemed as though I was blazing my own path according to my own plan in a vivid, living battlefield.

I never felt like: "oh I see by the obvious level design that I'm supposed to go this way." I was just in the thick of an incredible battle and I *chose* to advance in the particular direction they had so deftly funneled me toward without even realizing I had no choice in it at all. In short, they knew what the fuck they were doing almost to the point of it being disturbing how well they could anticipate how players would behave. There's probably a doctoral thesis in there somewhere if you can figure out exactly how it works.

When I first played COD5 (Treyarch's first decent-ish one, if I'm getting my numbering right), it was a rude awakening. I kept running into invisible or knee-high barriers blocking where I wanted to go, getting turned around, or having to take myself out of character so I could logically figure out what the level designers intended me to do in order to advance. Some obvious shortcut through a bush to a better position would be inexplicably impenetrable so I'd be forced to follow a trench into an obvious ambush because that's what the plot said had to happen. Treyarch has been getting a lot better though.

The bottom line, I think, is that at this level, no ridiculously massive budget, or even such a budget accompanied by infinite patience for refinement and testing is going to make a truly great FPS game by itself. It takes the right, maybe even freak, combination of creative geniuses with genuine passion and inspiration, and that just can't readily be bought.

Meh, long story short: like other people said in much fewer words, COD is well over the hill. It will have a few more iterations in it because money buys "good enough" talent, but hopefully some young new geniuses will come along and stomp it out once and for all with something as amazing as COD 1,2 and COD4 were. I'm not even really sure why I'm putting COD 1,2 and 4 on such a pedestal. In the grander scheme, they aren't really my thing, but I can appreciate genius when I see it (gameplay-wise, okay--the plots were dumb).

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $26 Million
25. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 23:03 Aero

I suspect what they'll end up with will be pretty damn good, though probably not half as good as what many people seem to be building it up to be in their imagination (not necessarily people here at Blue's, but I've heard a lot of breathless descriptions of it as something that cannot possibly be pulled off coming from other corners of the internet--sometimes from people who have paid literally thousands into it).

I've given RSI some money to help them along (something like $60 as I recall, not going nuts), but I do get the increasing feeling that this thing is growing out of control. Roberts certainly has considerable experience in the field and is probably a good leader, but I have also seen these crowd-sourced projects become toxic exercises in groupthink in the past. I don't follow that too closely, so I can only hope Roberts stays firm to his concept.

As a counterpoint, I like what I see from Elite Dangerous' development updates. There I see clear leadership, a clear design roadmap and a solid, workable idea. It doesn't have anything like the funding of SC, but what it's trying to be is an evolution of the Elite franchise, not something totally unheard of. I gave them a similar amount of money.

I'm fairly certain Elite Dangerous is going to deliver exactly what it promises (the only question being how well it's executed). I do, however, remember the Freelancer saga all too well, and SC does sound an awful lot like what Roberts imagined Freelancer would be way back when. Of course, in the end, Freelancer turned out to be a decent game, just not what what was originally imagined. What he imagined is also, of course, a lot less far-fetched today than it was 15 years ago. I just hope he learned that lesson well. I suspect that's probably the worst case scenario for SC anyways, so that's okay: we expect this unheard of, revolutionary virtual universe, and instead we just get a damn solid game. I'm okay with that. We do need people like Roberts and their impossible dreams that might not turn out to be impossible after all.

The bottom line is: if you like space sims, it's a fine time to be alive.

News Comments > Game Reviews
11. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 11:13 Aero

Kind of a shame they can't separate the SP part from the MP part. Despite trying, I never could get into the MP part of BF3 because it was just too much effort to round up enough decent human beings to play with at any random time, even with a giant friends list.

I did like the SP part, and I hear the SP part of BF4 is better still. It's just that at 4 hours long, it's only maybe worth $20 to me at most. So, maybe if it gets that low in a sale some day I'll pick it up.

Or, better yet, stick some bots in there like earlier BF games.

News Comments > Arma 3 Campaign Release
4. Re: Arma 3 Campaign Release Oct 31, 2013, 21:19 Aero

It is pretty good from what I've tried (first couple missions). Certainly more professional and polished than their previous efforts.  

714 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo