Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 823 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Pricing & Specs
12. Re: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Pricing & Specs Mar 28, 2015, 17:08 Aero

Yeah, looked at that way it is pretty disappointing. If you bought it from Steam, you might try complaining. I don't know if it will get you anywhere, but it's worth a shot.

It always sucks when you buy something then the price drops significantly a few days later.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Pricing & Specs
3. Re: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Pricing & Specs Mar 28, 2015, 10:49 Aero

Yeah, too much money. I'd maybe pay $10 for it on the high end. Especially since it hasn't been out all that long and is far from being a technical masterpiece.

I suppose, on the other hand, since it will probably be about a year from now that I want to replay it, it will hopefully be about that or less by then.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Mar 28, 2015, 09:39 Aero

Yeah, me too. Seems like adblock might be doing it's thing, but it's been a long time since I remember adblock working on these sorts of video sites.

News Comments > F1 2015 in June
1. Re: F1 2015 in June Mar 26, 2015, 19:23 Aero

I understand this is supposed to be the most significant update since the series started. I didn't bother with 2014 but 2013 was okay for what it was.  

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
11. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 25, 2015, 20:35 Aero

Using it as a rental service seems like an odd thing to do given you could just pirate games outright for about the same amount of effort and without having anyone hold on to your money in the mean time. I'm sure it would be done, but not by many people.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 24, 2015, 20:55 Aero

Yeah, that seems like a lot. I think even if you counted all the time at work, in the car or on the phone as 'on a gadget' and only cared about weekdays, I'd *maybe* average eleven hours a day, but only just. I don't see how that could be right.

News Comments > Dying Light Mod Tools Closed Beta
3. Re: Dying Light Mod Tools Closed Beta Mar 20, 2015, 22:06 Aero

True, it would be a waste of one of its strengths. It does go to show how well they did with it that I can imagine it in so many scenarios, though. Something like a remake of Tenchu would be pretty freaking cool.

I remember thinking someone was doing a dungeon crawler using the engine, but I think last I heard there were issues with development and the name escapes me at the moment. I'm more interested in that now, though, than when I was basing my expectations on Dead Island (which did melee reasonably well too).

News Comments > Dying Light Mod Tools Closed Beta
1. Re: Dying Light Mod Tools Closed Beta Mar 20, 2015, 21:12 Aero

I keep thinking about interesting things that could be done with that engine that don't involve zombies. Strange as it sounds, I believe it could make a really good foundation for a semi-realistic tactical shooter. With the right level design and tweaking of the free-running mechanics, you could do really interesting things with the heist theme that's been popular lately among other things.

I'm imagining cool scenarios sneaking into a bank or enemy base or whatever with climbing and rappelling and zip-lines and stuff, smoothly transitioning to a stealth-oriented tactical shooter style entry sequence to grab the mcguffin, and then a fast-paced running gunfight escape through alleys and across rooftops to the other side of the map. Or, that could be switched around in different ways with a loud frontal attack to get the mcguffin, then a stealthy melting away into the crowd escape, or taking AI hostages to use as human shields or all sorts of things.

Okay, so that will never happen, but I really think they built an impressive game engine that's totally wasted on zombies. It even has some fairly impressive (at times) AI. They've got a really great sandbox, it's just that the toys in it are a little lame.

News Comments > Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released
5. Re: Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released Mar 16, 2015, 22:22 Aero

Old Town is definitely better than The Slums. I think they should have forced you out of The Slums earlier somehow. Like Dead Island and Far Cry 3/4, it doesn't quite get the open world pacing right for players like me who tend to put off the main plot.

Anyways, if you haven't played it yet and plan on to, it's probably best to pick up the pace a bit until you get to Old Town and then go at whatever pace you like thereafter. I would have liked my character to have been a few levels lower when I reached Old Town. I too had already put about 40 hours into the game by that point. It was at about the 50 hour mark or so that I'd had my fill of the game play, and that would probably have been more like 60+ hours if it was divided more equally between The Slums and Old Town.

Either way, even though it's glaringly mediocre in many ways, it still easily makes my short list of best games made in the last couple years. Techland's getting their engine and fundamentals pretty tight, and I'm hoping their talent isn't wasted on zombies again for their next big effort.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Closed Alpha
6. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Closed Alpha Mar 12, 2015, 21:53 Aero

I think it could be done. I think nowadays you could make a game with all the depth of Raven Shield while keeping the pre-planning interface simple enough for an advanced console player (perhaps with optional layers of complexity). The only questionable aspect is whether a console player would consider a mission completed without a shot fired perfect or just boring.

I suppose, really, they're obviously not going that direction here, but from what I've seen of it, it could possibly work as a team based shooter with tactical elements, even if not it's not really in the tradition of R6.

Of course, no matter how well they pull if off, like all MP games that rely on teamwork and coordination, it's all but guaranteed to be worthless on public servers.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 9, 2015, 15:35 Aero

I'm pretty sure, like seasickness, the nausea from VR can be overcome by just forcing yourself to endure it until it goes away. I can see how that would be a marketing problem though.

I had trouble with TrackIR to begin with, so I started off simple. I used it almost like snap views on a HAT switch. Look quickly in whatever direction and then return to center quickly, zoning out the motion in between, and always returning to center before looking in a new direction. I could handle this. After a while, I would gradually turn my head more slowly, paying more attention to the motion in between while turning my head to look at something. After a few days, an hour or so a day, using it was second nature almost to the point of being eerie.

There are probably softer ways to go about getting over VR sickness like training software, that gives you a little bit at a time and gently ramps up intensity and duration. Who knows. Put some tits in to keep people interested.

News Comments > Dying Light DLC & Hard Mode Next Week
3. Re: Dying Light DLC & Hard Mode Next Week Mar 4, 2015, 13:21 Aero

Dying Light truly is brilliant. It's a shame about hard mode coming later, though. As much as I love it, like Dead Island, I will play it until I'm sick of playing it (which has been something like 40 hours so far to get me 48% of the way through) and then that's it.

I would have liked a harder mode from the beginning (I see there are mods I haven't tried though). Of course on the other hand, I don't go out at night much. It's well done, but I get turned around easily and some of the enemy AI (particularly in regard to path finding) is really amazingly good. Too frustrating for me.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 27, 2015, 16:52 Aero

Love "by the time they found out I didn't know what I was doing, I did" part. That pretty much sums up the trick to being a firmware of software engineer--probably almost any kind of engineer.  

News Comments > Resident Evil 2 Co-op Apology
3. Re: Resident Evil 2 Co-op Apology Feb 27, 2015, 11:30 Aero

SXO wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 09:40:
Can anyone with actual programming knowledge explain why this feature would be difficult to implement on the PC version specifically? Often these things seem simple to the layman, but it's far more complicated than it seems (like having a FOV slider).

There's no reason you couldn't, but it would add some complications and require extra development time for a feature probably very few people would use on a PC.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit
52. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 18:03 Aero

I don't see 512MB making a big difference, now or ever. Not now because 3.5GB is still plenty on typical setups including 1440p and 21:9 (though there are probably outliers). In the future, or if you run triple screens or 4K, then you really need 6GB anyways. The 970 is the best price/performance GPU upgrade I've done in the last ten years or so. Even with these revelations, I'd buy one again at the price I paid without hesitation.

This doesn't excuse nVidia's false advertising, of course. There should be a reckoning for that.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 18:04 Aero

IMO, the biggest tragedy of the recent Battlefield games is that they removed the bots. Sure they were stupid, but a 64-player game populated with bots was tremendous fun. Stupid as they were, at least they played properly. If they'd put a bit of effort into the bots to make them a bit better, I'd probably play BF3 all the time. I would have bought BF4 and even that new cops and robbers modgame the day they were released.

Of course, I'd rather play with 63 real friends who'd play seriously (but not too seriously), but that's pretty hard to arrange around my gaming schedule--that is, when the whim to play a game happens to hit me.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
60. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 01:37 Aero

At this point, I think I'm really only looking forward to Squadron 42 for some Wing Commander style space shooter action. I definitely don't see the space sim I wanted coming out of this. That isn't to say it might not be a cool new sort of thing all its own, but the odds are pretty long on that.

If they had just taken the basic Freelancer framework and doctored it up with new technology, they would have easily had a sure thing. That could work equally well as a purely single player experience, or an instanced MMO (like a bigger, instancing incarnation of the Discovery Mod servers).

The most disappointing part is that they probably would have made a better game if they had a smaller budget*. It's still all up in the air though, so we'll see. I figure I'll get my $35 or whatever's worth from SQ42 either way.

*edit: Or better management...

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 20, 2015, 12:27 Aero

Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 12:01:
That's just ridiculous.

They're almost literally printing money.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2015, 11:03 Aero

Musher's Secret works pretty well.  

News Comments > Dying Light Mod Tool Plans
17. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 7, 2015, 10:04 Aero

Personally, I think it's brilliant. Odds are I will never actually finish the story though, so if they want to put some QTEs in at the end, that's okay from my point of view. If it's a boss fight, that's sort of as shame though because they could use their bone-breaking system to come up with some clever ways to make that interesting (ie, the way you would aim to break the bruiser's arms in Dead Island).

I actually rather like the lock-picking. I'm glad they just ripped it off from Skyrim (another brilliant game I played the hell out of but never actually finished the story). It's a decent, simple system. It would have been better if breaking a pick was loud enough to attract nearby zombies though.

823 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo