Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 865 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN Earlier on PCs
5. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN Earlier on PCs Aug 3, 2015, 16:24 Aero

I thought Ground Zeroes was pretty damn impressive (and I really didn't care much for previous MGS games), but I worry that it will be a sort of Hitman-esque situation. Even going back to the first Hitman game, with some in the middle being a bit better, the first level (the demo, when those still existed) was always incredible with a huge variety of approaches and freedom to design your own plan of attack, but very, very rapidly thereafter they deteriorated and there would be only a handful of relatively linear ways to finish it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dirt Rally Mods or DLC Unlikely
5. Re: Dirt Rally Mods or DLC Unlikely Jul 21, 2015, 12:29 Aero

They don't necessarily have to *support* mods, they just have to not do anything to prevent them or make it unnecessarily difficult. If there is enough interest, the community will create the tools to add new content. They could even help a bit. I don't see how they would get into legal trouble for, say, providing documentation for their file formats. Microsoft doesn't get sued for providing documentation for the DOCX format even though someone might use that to create a document containing unlicensed intellectual property. Of course, Codemasters may have to be worried about good will as well as lawsuits and are just using the legal explanation for the sake of simplicity. After all, nobody has successfully sued ISI over rFactor mods or Kunos over AC mods.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
107. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 19:15 Aero

Kosumo wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 18:07:
4 Wing Commanders, Starlancer, Freelancer and here we are at round six!

Just for the sake of maintaining accuracy, I believe that Starlancer was primarily his brother's work, and the development of Freelancer has eerie paralels to SC, and Roberts was in fact forced out of the project precisely because the scope of the game he was pushing was not feasible at the time. He is undoubtedly a very creative man with good ideas and vision, but I worry about him being fully in charge of a project.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2015, 20:18 Aero

First, I think CIG is as screwed up as most, but certainly don't believe they are actively engaging in any sort of fraud, intentionally or otherwise (though it's makes fun hyperbole for arguments). Smart's first article (well, selections of it in between egotistical rambling) was a nice analysis of what has always smelled off about the whole Star Citizen thing. Since then, it's just been publicity milking. CIG should just leave it at refunding his money and not say anything else.

Also, um, I kind of don't believe he actually has a million dollars he can just throw away like that. Might be another #humblebrag, like mentioning his Tesla S in passing in the first article.

News Comments > Brothers In Arms Rearming
12. Re: Brothers In Arms Rearming Jul 17, 2015, 15:32 Aero

I don't know that I played the latter games, but I thought the first one was quite good. It was a nice change from the run-and-gun of Call of Duty to a more realistic, fire and maneuver system with suppression mechanics and simple but effective fire team controls.

It was a little clunky in some ways to be sure, but it was a solid premise with relatively novel game play. I doubt a "next gen" version will be good, though. I'd like it to be, but I can only imagine it moving further away from the realism that made the first unique.

News Comments > Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem
22. Re: Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem Jul 15, 2015, 12:45 Aero

Isn't a game developer that outsources game development called a publisher?  

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 13:26 Aero

It's really the amount they were apparently charging for certain things, to my mind, which makes CIG come off as a bad guy. It was all their pretend advertisements and stuff that made it sound like they were selling something in particular (ships) rather than giving token gifts to people who donated extra money to support the game like PBS tote bags. All the same, they still have my $35 worth of confidence. If Chris Roberts had just announced he wanted to make a new space game without giving any sort of details, I would have given him that much to let him have a go at it. He's a victim of his own success because I'm fairly certain he would have done more with less.

News Comments > IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad Patch, Battle of Moscow Early Access
2. Re: IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad Patch, Battle of Moscow Early Access Jul 7, 2015, 21:15 Aero

Yeah, definitely do not pre-order this. The $90 whatever I spent on the early access version of BOS is one of the more memorable occasions in which I feel like I truly wasted money on a game. I (and a lot of other people) assumed it was going to be Rise of Flight but in WW2, and it's hard to see how that could go wrong, but it definitely did. It has all of ROF's weaknesses and none of its strengths.

It's not horrible, but it's pretty much only good for multiplayer team deathmatch airquake style and 1C have clearly communicated they don't have much interest in anything else (once they'd been paid, of course). Cliffs of Dover (which is like $5 now) with the Team Fusion mod is where to get your WW2 fix.

News Comments > Fractured Space Content Update
1. Re: Fractured Space Content Update Jul 5, 2015, 01:08 Aero

Looks very cool, but the MP only aspect makes it not my thing. It's good to see them moving on so competently from from Strike Suit Zero, though, which had a lot of heart.  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Vector Thrust
4. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Vector Thrust Jul 3, 2015, 13:33 Aero

jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 12:53:
Anyone playing this? Looking for something that sits between arcady games like Ace Combat and HAWX on the one hand and full blown sims like the DCS series on the other.

DCS in arcade mode might be close to what you're after. Best as I can recall, the flight dynamics are still pretty realistic, but the systems are simplified (no faffing about with radar modes, just lock on target and fire) and so on.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe War Thunder.

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini Warlords Announced
1. Re: Starpoint Gemini Warlords Announced Jun 24, 2015, 13:30 Aero

I bought Startpoint Gemini 2 in the Steam sale and I've been trying to get into it but not quite succeeding. I like the simplified, Freelancer style interface (though it's not quite as slick as Freelancer), but the galaxy seems to lack a sense of cohesive structure. Its decent though, and I'm going to keep at it for a bit in the hope that it comes together.  

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Announced
8. Re: Project CARS 2 Announced Jun 22, 2015, 15:35 Aero

I dunno that I can trust anything they claim this early. Back when they first started taking "investments" for PCARS1, $25 was supposed to get you a digital copy of the game when it was released. Then not long before the release they changed the rules and what your $25 got you was a $25 coupon (which expired two weeks after release).

That's pretty shady the way I see things. True, they did offer to refund people's money if they were unhappy with this situation (and regularly checked the message board to know what was going on before the refund offer expired), but that's no way to behave regardless.

News Comments > HITMAN Gameplay Trailer
4. Re: HITMAN Gameplay Trailer Jun 17, 2015, 21:11 Aero

Sandbox as opposed to open world. They've really always been sandbox games.  

News Comments > Arma III Tanoa Expansion
1. Re: Arma III Tanoa Expansion Jun 17, 2015, 14:02 Aero

The framerates... the framerates...  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile Trailer
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile Trailer Jun 13, 2015, 17:22 Aero

It's a neat effect technically, but I definitely don't like the smoke from the roof mounted gun. It doesn't fit the scale and sort of makes the batmobile look like a miniature or a toy with a lit cigarette taped to the roof. It might look better if they thinned it out and made it less opaque, but otherwise I think it's one of those effects you'd be better off without.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M
26. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 16:05 Aero

I am finding the amount of content a little overwhelming. I've put in 60 hours, I'm around level 20, which is about five levels above the recommended for the primary quests at the moment. I think this means I should push on more with the primaries. Plus or minus five levels seems to be my range for enemies either being too easy or too hard.

The only thing I find a little bit annoying (other than bugs and trying to loot a chest with a candle on it) is auto-failing quests or having something drastic happen because I forgot to heed one line of dialog I heard a few hours before or something like that. It seems to me that there are a lot of quests that get listed as "secondary" which really should be in in another category. For instance, a quest that decides the fate of a main character is secondary and so is a quest which starts with finding a key on a corpse and ends with unlocking a chest thirty feet away.

On the other hand, this really is the result of the incredible massiveness of the content, which I really shouldn't complain about.

News Comments > Dark Future: Blood Red States Announced
5. Re: Dark Future: Blood Red States Announced May 24, 2015, 10:33 Aero

Quick, remember that crappy board game we made to cash in when Beyond Thunderome came out? Throw something together so we can cash in on the release of Fury Road.

News Comments > Game Reviews
25. Re: Game Reviews May 24, 2015, 08:48 Aero

I started off alternating between a Xbone controller and mouse+kb and ultimately decided the mouse+kb was marginally better for combat (and considerably better for everything else). It was a tough call, though. The controller buttons were better suited to the semi-button mashing style of combat, but that was ultimately outweighed by being able to swing the camera around more precisely to focus on a particular enemy (which works very well, just point the camera at an enemy and it's selected) and maintaining situational awareness. I did change the layout slightly, though, to put heavy attack on the right button and parry on a thumb button. I feel the control I have in combat is pretty satisfying, though I definitely would say the combat, while plenty decent, is not the strongest point of the game. Other third person melee combat action games have done it better.

Of course, I should qualify this by saying that I'm not nearly as practiced with a controller as I am with a mouse and keyboard, so that probably weighed in my decision.

News Comments > NASCAR '15 and Demo Released
13. Re: NASCAR '15 and Demo Released May 22, 2015, 15:25 Aero

The problem is an oval track racing game can only be good as a hardcore sim where the challenge is in hanging on to the car at its limit. If you soften it up, there's no real gameplay.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2015, 09:59 Aero

siapnar wrote on May 22, 2015, 09:39:
Whoever said Witcher 3's lighting engine is better than GTA V's needs to get their eyes checked

Pretty game, no doubt - but the lighting is nowhere near as advanced as GTA's

Yeah, my overall opinion of W3 is that it isn't really a graphics showcase. Some things are very well done, but it's mostly down to the art direction and impressive skill in that area. The engine itself is decent enough, I'd go so far as to say solid, but not groundbreaking or even really all that impressive. It gets the job done, though.

865 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo