Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 772 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
15. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 18, 2014, 19:06 Aero

Kevin Lowe wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 17:58:
Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 15:32:
Yeah that is strange, I wonder why they have 2 settings for the same thing. Oh well, glad it worked out, I'll apply it myself when I get home.
Writing a different node name to an XML file than what the reader will be expecting? Yep, done that one before.

One enables or disables mouse acceleration, the other controls its magnitude.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
87. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 17:04 Aero

Prez wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:17:
I suppose the big question is what happens to my game when my internet goes down? I remember a marathon Borderlands 2 session that started at 6 pm one night and went on until 7 am the next morning. Sometime in the night my internet went down and did not come back, and the only way I noticed was a message appeared in the chat window saying I had lost connection to the servers and all my progress would be saved locally until re-synced with the servers (Proving if nothing else that Steam is absolutely NOT always on DRM). If I try to do something in Elite with the internet down what will happen?

Generally, nothing. I've never lost anything due to my computer crashing. There probably is a worst case scenario where you might lose something, but you couldn't possibly lose much. Every time you are awarded a bounty, buy something, sell something or do anything that affects your characters traits it's immediately saved to the server. I've had my computer crash just a few seconds after destroying a ship, and when I logged back in I still had the bounty from that kill and was placed back in the same region of space.

I think the upshot of this whole mess with offline being removed is that FDEV need to give a detailed explanation of how and when server interaction occurs, what the server is responsible, and what the client is responsible for. There is a lot of bad information spreading around right now (such as the belief that there is no single player mode), and FDEV have one themselves no favors by casually mentioning the offline chop on a Friday and then going home for the weekend.

17. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 14:46 Aero

I should also clarify my feelings about always-on online DRM (and I'm still not yet convinced piracy had anything to do with it in this case). If a game requires a constant connection to a server just to verify legitimate use, this is bullshit DRM. If it requires a constant connection, but uses that connection to provide features and enhancements that wouldn't be possible without that network connection, that's not the same thing at all. Give and take.

9. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 14:37 Aero

It's definitely a shitstorm, but I wouldn't go so far as to assume yet that it's all greed motivated monitization and DRM scheming. The newsletter didn't explain much, and I'm waiting for a more detailed explanation before I pass judgement. It doesn't really jive since they're offering refunds. I don't see what value data mining would provide. The DRM idea is a bit more plausible, but I still don't think they would have risked this backlash (and they had to know it would be bad) just to prevent a small amount of piracy.

Really, my guess is that since the online nature made up FD's primary vision of the game, they focused on that and just couldn't make a purely offline version work with the time and resources they had. That's not good, but nor is it evil--sometimes intended features just don't work out.What they did wrong was waiting until a month before release before announcing it, and doing it in sort of a sugar-coated way (though that's typical of all corporate bad news).

Though it doesn't affect me personally because I play the online single player mode, I do know a number of people (big fans going back to '84 who've been dreaming about Elite 4 for decades) who are now shit out of luck because they have flaky connectivity, and it's hard to imagine the magnitude of that disappointment.

I'm still wondering if there will be a separate single player mode aside from the current solo mode. And that isn't really clear. I doubt it, but it could be done. Solo mode doesn't use much bandwidth, but a loss of connectivity could kick you off. This is mostly because you can use he same character in solo mode and public group mode, so it needs to keep you in sync with the server to prevent cheating. Disallowing a player to switch between this potential halfway mode and public play (which they are't interested in anyways) would allow a lot more leeway, and you would only really need to connect to the servers when you entered a new star system. It would not solve anything for people with no connection, but it would help those with flaky or slow connections.

We really need more info. I've had no reason to doubt FD's ethics or motivation until now, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. That doesn't help the people who won't be able to play, of course, but it will make me feel better about the future.

News Comments > DCS Su-27 Trailer
7. Re: DCS Su-27 Trailer Nov 11, 2014, 14:45 Aero

Very, very sick of the map. DCS World could have been so much more than it is, if only the development pace wasn't sub-glacial. I really, really hope 2.0.0 makes a huge difference and isn't delayed yet again.

I did buy the F-86 when it was on sale for $15, though, because it's such a cool aircraft. Shame that it's unlikely there will ever be any enemies (aside from the AI Mig-15) to fight against that make sense. So, for $15 it was okay, but DCS is at a weird point where the basic engine is showing its age, and the most of the third party aircraft don't really fit in any one unified scenario. Cool as Mig-21's are, I don't want to fly them against F-15's. Cool as the Huey is, I don't want to fly anywhere near Shilkas or even modern manpads.

I'll probably keep trying the Flaming Cliffs aircraft as they're updated to the AFM (and the Su-27 certainly is quite an aircraft), but even with the updates, I already played the hell out of that sim years ago.

Basically, as far as the overal DCS World package is concerned, what we have right now is Lock On Modern Air Combat upgraded to about a 2007 level with a few modern quality but disjoint baubles thrown in.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2014, 19:03 Aero

I was maybe gonna pick up COD AW, then I read it doesn't support 21:9 monitors (or anything other than 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10), which is definitely BS for a modern AAA shooter. Most companies can manage an aspect ratio agnostic rendering engine.

Naw, I don't want to mess around with widescreen fixes because it's the principle of the thing.

News Comments > Project CARS Delayed
4. Re: Project CARS Delayed Oct 17, 2014, 11:59 Aero

Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 11:43:
which they admit is as much to avoid competing with a bunch of higher-profile releases as it is to add more polish to the game

Makes a lot of sense.

Yeah... but based on the state of the current version, it was pretty clear there was no way they were going to make their November release date even going back to when it was originally announced (not that it is or was in a bad state or that development is going slowly or stumbled, it's just clearly got several months worth of polishing work to do). I suspect Bandai demanded they announce a release date (the original one) for logistical or legal reasons and SMS just gave them the very best case scenario. I remember thinking it had to be a mistake when they announced the original release date, and that became more and more obvious as the time drew closer.

In short, the competition motive might be part of it, but I suspect it's minor compared to the "polishing" bit.

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $58M
41. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 13, 2014, 03:12 Aero

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Star Citizen is a big wait and see. I paid $45 or whatever to support it back when, but they have more than enough money so I certainly won't be paying the prices they are asking for ship pre-purchaeses.

Pretty much, the bottom line is that I'm sick of their PR. All of the actual content they've released so far is underwhelming. That's understandable given how far they are from completion, but my plans at this moment are to mostly ignore it until they have something worthwhile to show.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to have a say in the direction of development and all that, but it seems pretty clear from how things have gone so far that it will be a 2016 release at the earliest. It's way, way too early for hype. I think it was worth throwing in what I did to do my bit to help out with a project that could be pretty cool, but I don't think it will be anything like as cool as a lot of people seem to be imagining it will be. I'm hope I'm wrong, but it will probably be another year before we can even really speculate on that.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 7, 2014, 23:07 Aero

I think the problem here is actually that that guy's head is just fundamentally incompatible with an NBA player body.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2014, 19:31 Aero

On the other hand as a result of coin miners, the price of the 780 Ti cards might plummet. If it's miners driving the prices up, the 780 Ti could end up cheaper than the 970. Given how much more power efficient the 900 series is than the 700 series, any miners using GPUs will need one, but power is not much of a concern to gamers.

The Maxwell GPUs seem to be a pretty big shake up, one way or the other. It's the most impressed I've been with a generational leap in a while, especially considering they couldn't use a finer manufacturing process. I haven't been following Nvidia or TSMC's plans, but it will be interesting to see what the half step (Ti presumably) will be... if they can manage a 16nm stepping they could be pretty amazing.

And, of course, AMD likely has a similarly interesting response.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2014, 14:42 Aero

The impression that I'm getting is that it has a really slick production, but some mechanics and plot direction issues that some will dislike more than others. It's the sort of game that once you see through the magic to the workings beneath, depending on your predisposition and experience, might lose a lot of its charm. If, for instance, you lose the willing suspension of disbelief that allows you to play as though the alien is 'stalking' you through the ship, rather than just spawning in somewhere as a result of a algorithm (even if its very clever), that could take a lot away from the experience.

There are times I wish I didn't know how this stuff really worked, like when I was younger or maybe just more imaginative, and I could take what was on the screen at face value without seeing the strings and plywood backdrops creating the illusion.

Of course, I haven't played it, but I can very easily see this game either being terrible or brilliant, entirely depending on who is playing it.

News Comments > Morning Patches
8. Re: Morning Patches Oct 1, 2014, 17:31 Aero

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 13:12:
There is also a completely offline single player mode which you can use if you like, as well as a private group server mode.

It's probably worth expanding on this, depending on how you meant it, in the current beta versions the "solo" mode is not *completely* offline. You still maintain a continuous connection to the servers and everything is exactly the same as the full online mode except you will never encounter other human players.

As far as I'm aware, the plan is still for the final version to have an entirely offline mode in the traditional sense.

News Comments > Morning Patches
4. Re: Morning Patches Oct 1, 2014, 13:33 Aero

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 13:12:
Weird, I never looked in to Elite Dangerous before and not sure how it was never on my radar. Does it play like Eve without spreadsheets and more action-oriented? Does it function well with a KB/M? Newbie friendly?

I'm going to look in to this today.

The answers to your question: 1) Not really, depending on what you mean. Action, yes. No spreadsheetness. Pure PVP: no (but there is PVP). 2) Mouse+KB: Some say yes, some say no. A joystick is better. 3) Much more so newbie friendly than EVE, but there is a significant, but far from overwhelming learning curve.

Watching some Youtube videos is probably the best way to get a feeling for it. There probably won't be a whole lot about Beta2, but the Beta1 based videos will cover most of what you need to know, only there isn't as much to do in Beta1.

News Comments > X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder
9. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 28, 2014, 15:52 Aero

I happened to try it again the other day to see how the new video card handled it, and it seems that it's been fixed up quite a bit. I will probably go back to it for a serious try again once 3.0 comes out. It seems they have the technical issues sorted out. If the menu system in 2.5 is good, that will solve my next biggest issue. 3.0 will add some new systems, so that will help a bit with how small Rebirth seemed compared to previous games in the series (even if they were just a whole lot of empty boxes).

So, it's the same old X story. Broken for a while, then eventually largely sorted. It's different enough from ED so I may still be interested even though ED should be approaching gamma by the time Rebirth gets 3.0. We'll just have to see. I have hope for it yet, and if the space sim genre hadn't found a rebirth of its own, I'd probably even be excited for it.

I definitely agree that it should be at half price by now. If it cost $20 or so, I would probably recommend it to the people who stayed away originally because of its well deserved reputation for wonkiness even by Egosoft 1.0 standards. Not full price, though.

I'm actually sort of wondering if the reason the 3.0 DLC is being offered for free to begin with is that they plan for a big price drop when 3.0 hits, betting that the base content upgraded to 3.0 at a lower price is enough to entice everyone who stayed away, and that they will then buy the expansion. That would not be unreasonable provided 3.0 turns it into the game 1.0 should have been.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $53M
25. Re: Star Citizen Passes $53M Sep 18, 2014, 05:37 Aero

Sugarman wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 00:08:
In reply to response #9.

You really do have to keep up on the forums to even have half a clue of whats going on or else this all comes as a terribly unorganized crapshoot patchfest of epic proportions. It is being made as they go along, yet they do have specific direction in which to aim towards, adding anything they see fit to add be it by majority user request or just something CR wanted to create just a bit more immersion. Except the entire process from start to finish is under a magnifying glass by everyone, and a lot of people think they know best when it comes to SC methods and development. If I worked there, I'd be so burned out on all the whining and harsh critizizm that it might make me feed a litter of puppies to a starving baboon just to replace the terrible memories in my head with only a single terrible, very noisy memory.

This is only speculation, I would of course use cats.

True enough, and I'm sure it's a fact that if I were to follow the forums daily, I would have a better idea of what's going on (though I'd also go mad, precisely for the reasons you state). I must also admit that Blue is partly culpable for my increasingly negative reactions (not to say that he should do anything different, it's a gaming news site after all, and even if it is just the same-old-same-old at this point, it's still newsworthy), but nevertheless, every week I'm reminded that people are still throwing money at it without any (in my view) justifiable reason anymore, like they're paying for and expecting the hyped up imaginary product that no game, no matter how good it turns out, ever actually lives up to.

Nevertheless, when I do visit their forums and put in the effort to filter through the horrendous signal-to-noise ratio (not really their fault, the Elite Dangerous forums are the same way, as are most crowd sourced game projects), I'm still left with a feeling that even after two years, what they have strikes me more as a proposal for a game that's still in the brainstorming/concept stage rather than a real development plan. Of course, that could well be by design, and they have no intention of getting down to work on the fundamental design work yet, but it is getting a little late in the game for that.

I guess if I had to level one major criticism at it, it's that they're taking the crowd sourcing, design by democracy thing too far. Understanding that the two projects are quite difference (and again I apologize for brining up Elite), I think the following quote by Mike Evans (game designer for Elite Dangerous) in response to complaints about the flight mechanics is a good example of what Star Citizen needs a bit more of:

Indeed, a request is just that. We don't have to do anything if we don't want to but that doesn't mean we didn't read and consider the request. Suffice to say a low yaw rate is a fundamental part of our games aesthetics and a corner stone to our flight model that we at frontier like the way it is. We're not changing it, for to do so would be to compromise our own vision for what Elite: Dangerous is and what it's going to be. I don't give a damn what all the other space games have done in the past.

I do generally try to avoid the Star Citizen threads here at Blue's because I usually have nothing particularly positive to say, which certainly isn't to say I don't want it to be great and that I'm not excited for it to be finished. Also, and as usually have to preface every criticism I make about it, I don't think they're swindlers, crooks or even remotely close to incompetent, but I do think they're letting it get away from them and I think Roberts' tends to get carried away with his own dreams without also having to shoulder the dreams of hundreds of thousands of investors.

What it comes down to is that I grow ever more worried that what should have been a straightforward but still extremely ambitious space sim (my favorite genre) is becoming a diffuse mass of semi-related, sometimes hard to reconcile (but awesome if they could be), features and that if it continues along this track much further, it will just be Freelancer all over again--that is, seven(?) years spent creating and selling a dream only to have it fall apart and become a good, though not particularly special, game that could have been done in two years for a fraction of the budget.

At this point, I think what it actually needs is a a regular newsletter written and distributed by an at least somewhat disinterested third party that covers only the fundamentals of what's going on with development, with an aim to eventually assemble the pieces that will describe Star Citizen's actual game mechanics, without all the flowery marketing hype. And no, Reddit isn't doing it well... the whole thing has just become too divided between the 'haters' and the 'fanboys' with all the reasonable people not wanting to get involved.

What they've done with the crowd funding is remarkable, but all of us have a vested interest in it not falling apart, because we might never see such potential again.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $53M
9. Re: Star Citizen Passes $53M Sep 17, 2014, 23:07 Aero

What I want to know, sooner rather than later, is how *exactly* the gameplay is going to work: not "it will have X feature, and Y feature, and Z feature...," but how it will work together technically. How will the 'zones' and different gameplay theaters be connected, if that is indeed how it is constructed, how will traveling work? How will this all be integrated to give the impression of seamlessness and what and where will those seams be? I've seen all sorts of amateur speculation, but nothing concrete. Even accepting the fact that designs and intentions change, I've heard nothing official indicating how they intend to even begin approaching the really difficult problem at hand other than vague hand-waving.

You see, so far, what we have is a bunch of run-of-the-mill (kind of even sub-standard given how long they've been in development), normal sized FPS levels in space ships rather like the "rooms" in the X series but without the connections. This is so even in the unreleased stuff they've been showing off in videos. The leap from that to a a sandbox universe is massive.

I don't doubt that they have a plan of sorts, and I don't expect them to share *all* of the details, but I have this ever growing suspicion that what's in Arena Commander really constitutes all the legitimate engine work they've done with their millions of dollars and years to work.

Don't get me wrong, I want it to succeed and paid them a standard game price up front because I'm willing to bet that much on it, but so far the whole production seems to be based on the premise of figuring things out as they go along, guided by an extremely hazy notion of what the final product will look like and how the myriad of planned features will somehow mesh. This is how freshman software engineers approach their lab work.

I admit, I don't go reading the message board every day, and maybe there are pearls of wisdom buried in there, but everything official that comes my way is blatant marketing drivel (other than maybe the Arena Commander status info, which hardly counts and is frequently worrying in its own right). Even if they just said the basic mechanics will be similar to Freelancer but larger in scope, or some other fundamental overall mechanic, that would be something I could understand and get behind.

And, to reiterate once more because (and it's sad this is necessary in even a cynical forum like Blues but where nevertheless I'm sure everyone hope it will turn out brilliant), I don't think he's a crook. I just think maybe we're seeing the Freelancer fiasco all over again, but this time without oversight. I also hate to bring up the Elite Dangerous dead hourse, because they really are significantly different projects in scope, but the way Frontier Development went about planning and communicating their decisions--that is how professionals experienced in realizing a concept and brining it to market do it. The most, and nearly only truly professional aspect of Star Citzen's development I'm seeing is coming from the marketing side. Given that Roberts' has said in the past that his true motivation and ambition since the WC days was to be a filmmaker, I worry (and the WC film, though bad in the grand scheme of things, was surprisingly good all things considered).

As I said, I want absolutely nothing more than to be surprised in the coming years, and to play the game the diehard backers have conjured up in their collective imaginations. Nevertheless, every time I see another funding goal reached or another disappointing baby step in development, and think of the hours of vacuous videos, presentations and announcements, the cynic in me gives the optimist a smug look.

News Comments > Uncanny Valley Demo
1. Re: Uncanny Valley Demo Sep 8, 2014, 10:28 Aero

They certainly are right about death to an extent. It's when I'm repeating sections of horror-suspense games that all the seams in the mechanics become evident. It's the point at which you start seeing the game for what it is underneath, a collection of simple rules and algorithms, that I tend to lose interest.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 7, 2014, 14:26 Aero

Agreed. It's defeinitely a thing--its own thing. Maybe a thing without a name (I suppose "eSports" is good enough), but it's not a sport as in something you'd watch on ESPN.

I'd equate it to chess if we need a comparison to something else.

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 Tomorrow; Launch Trailer Today
3. Re: Dead Rising 3 Tomorrow; Launch Trailer Today Sep 4, 2014, 21:02 Aero

I only played the second one, and I thought it was great fun, but it didn't last nearly as long as the game did. I particularly didn't like the time limit element, which felt like an artificial way to keep you from grinding up too much power too early in the game.

I probably only made it about a quarter of the way through the plot before I gave up. They have a good concept (well they did, anyways... zombied out), but screwed it up in little infuriating ways.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 19:43 Aero

yuastnav wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 19:12:
I'm still curious, what was the reason to use the CryEngine for this game? I thought that a space sim would require its own engine more than any other genre.

It's a bit of a puzzler, but the Cryengine does do some very impressive and efficient rendering. If they planned on making the first person stuff important, it would make sense as it would be easier to adapt an fps engine to a space engine rather than the other way around (see X-Rebirth) or building them both up from scratch. Were it just a space game, it would likely be easier to start from scratch. An FPS engine is a pretty specialized affair, whereas a space engine is more or less just moving static objects around.

Squad has done an impressive job of making a space sim out of the Unity engine. After seeing the results of that (particularly with some of the mods that add higher definition textures and volumetric clouds), I'd be inclined to chose that if I were making a space sim.

Anyways, there probably wasn't any obvious off-the-shelf engine to use and they'd be doing a lot of their own development either way, so Cryengine is likely as good a choice as any.

772 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo