Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joao

Real Name Joao   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Comet
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 12, 2007, 15:42
Total Comments 53 (Suspect)
User ID 40334

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
47. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 18:52 Comet

jdreyer wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 17:06:
This is going to be yet another 100 comment SC thread, isn't it.

Popcorn

Of course it is.
You see. There are those that are following the project and are a bit more informed about the subject than the people creating this click bait articles.

David Piner has been critical of the project since the start.
Comments like this make his opinion quite clear

"Is it a bad thing? Well, to me it is, but looking at a broad perspective, it's very hard to define what is and isn't bad in Star Citizen"

Regarding REC the "issue" if there is one is simple.
CIG is implementing an unlock system in the alpha stage that is going to be used in the final game and it is doing it now because it allows anyone to access any ship in Arena Commander even if that ship is not part of the package they got when helping fund the project. Basically trying to kill two rabbits in a row.

While playing AC you get REC points. You can use REC to rent ships. The ships are not permanent but you can play the "rented" ship as much as you want for 7 days. You can use these days however you want. So you could play for 24h today and that would only count for one day. And play again in one month and that would only count as your second day.

Now why aren't Arena Commander unlocks permanent?
Because they want to avoid turning SC into an Arena Commander game so to speak. Goal is for people to earn ships and other content in the persistent universe. Not in the Arena Commander. So in the final game you'll be able to buy a ship in the persistent universe and it will be available in the Arena Combat modes.

The thing is this system also respects the "advantage" given to those that have spent more money funding the project or are long time backers.

Now obviously Ten Ton Hammer does not approve this.
Well Ten Ton Hammer claims he is looking towards the people interest. WRONG. If unlocks were permanent other members of the community would be complaining.

The REC system is not perfect. No system is. But it is a system that makes a lot more sense to implement in SC than permanent unlocks. And the controversy does not come from the community. it comes from sites like TTH.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
26. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Jan 11, 2015, 20:34 Comet

I'm going to try to explain my point of view in the simplest way I can.

I have no reason to defend or attack the developers of Star Citizen.
I don't work for CIG but I do know a bit about the industry. If that is relevant or not it's up to you.
I personally think they have made some mistakes when it comes to the way they have managed their crowd-funding effort.
They have also missed their expected end of 2014 release of SQ42. But I personally expected a missed deadline from the start.

I look at Star Citizen and the game developer in much the same way I look at any other game developers. And when it comes to crowdfunding I don't simply jump at a project without doing some homework.

Star Citizen and CIG are no different than any other developer.
What that means is :

- The expected release date developers point out to investors is usually too good to be true. Software development is not linear and it is hard to make predictions earlier on.
- The most critical "element" of any project is money.
- The second most critical "element" is experience. It is for this reason that good games often come from the same studios.

Now we may not approve their business tactics. But question is.
Can they deliver or not? Can we already announce the project a failure? If so what are the reasons why we believe they will or have failed?

My point is..it is easy to criticize something. specially if we don't approve some business decisions. But look at other games.
Look at the game development cost. The time needed and all that.

What we know is this.
- They have hired several top developers. The external contractors working for them have a good track record. Their total team size has grown steadily as expected.
- They have enough money to fund a big MMO.
- If their goal is to produce a AAA game comparable in quality to other big budget games, the average time to make a AAA game is 4 years.

Anything else we state is pure speculation. If they fail to show anything tangible by the end of 2015 then yes, criticize. But to call this a failed project when it is just now entering its third year in development seems to be a bit unreasonable.
Comparing it to Duke Nukem Forever, a game announced in 1997 to be released in 2001 and ended up being released in 2011... come on. Is that fair?
Someone like me is labeled a fanboy when the only thing I did is point out the information we know about the company. THE COMPANY. Just the facts.

I may be wrong, but the way I see it, the only reason some people criticize Star Citizen developers is because they have become a high profile project due to the amount of money they have raised.
As an example, Ubisoft released a few games over the years with some bugs. Watchdogs had stuttering in some systems. Some people had issues with save games in AC Black Flag. And AC Unity was such a bad launch. Still, people continue to buy their games. Continue to buy Far Cry 4. People criticize Ubisoft but no one, literally no one could predict the failure of AC Unity. At the same time no one could predict that Dragon Age Inquisition was going to be so good. Especially since Dragon Age 2 was average.

Same goes for SC. No one can predict if it is going to be a good game or not. No one can predict if they will succeed or not. At least not this earlier on. They are only half way from the expected finishing line when compared to most AAA games development time.

14. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Jan 11, 2015, 16:45 Comet

InBlack wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 11:54:

*checks Comet's post history*

Kind of hard to take you seriously when every single one of your posts has been defending Starcitizen. There is a word for that you know?

Defending Star Citizen? Check my posts again and please read them. I don't defend Star Citizen.
I also don't come here and make predictions that they will fail or that their a scam or whatever.

Instead of making assumptions look at the information available at the moment and check the project before trowing any conclusions.

What we know is this:
- They are financially independent. They have the funds to create a AAA title.
- They didn't run with the money. They have hired close to 300 people working across different internal and external studios.
- The people working on the title have worked on some of the most well known movies and games. You can confirm this yourself as CIG shares the names of the people and studios working on the game.
For instance, if you take the time to read the Monthly report stated in this article you can find several names, such as:
Imaginarium studios : Just the best motion capture studio in the industry at the moment. -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imaginarium_Studios
3Lateral : Facial motion capture for Ryse, GTA V and so on.
BHVR : Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 3
And so on and on. Check the names of the developers if you want and the games they've been involved in.
Did you know for instance that what is considered the best concept artist in the world, worked on the design of some of Star Citizen ships. Check Ryan Church website yourself.

Understand this. I'm not a fanboy. In fact I don't expect much. This project can indeed fail. Many talented developers release games that fail to reach expectations. Destiny, AC Unity and so on as examples. The Witcher 3 could be a failure. We don't know.
Somehow people expected Titanfall would be a good game because it was being created by ex Infinity Ward employees. And indeed it was.

But given the talent they have hired, given the time that has passed, given the fact that they are doing a good job sharing the development progress and given the fact that they do have the funds to create the game (just like any other big studio), why would I predict the project failure so soon?

What I fail to understand is how people predict this game to fail. Going as far as calling it another "Duke Nukem Forever", based only on the amount of money they have raised.
True. Many developers promise the world but don't have the funds or even the team to build the game they promise. In SC case, right now, they have both. Money and the team to do it. Can they fail? Of course they can. I pre ordered The Witcher 3 because I think CD Projekt Red has a good track record and talented developers but who knows...It could be another AC Unity (that I pre ordered as well by the way)

The reason why I'm giving SC a chance is just the facts available that people can check for themselves. The talent they have hired. The team size. The information the developers are sharing. The project roadmap and so on.

If you're skeptic just wait. But at least do your homework. Check how much AAA games cost to produce. Check how long it takes to develop them and so on. Kotaku and Wikipedia has a pretty good list you can check :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

I just don't think now is the time to reach any conclusion.
In one year time perhaps. But now? I don't think so.

3. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Jan 11, 2015, 10:27 Comet

How long did it take to develop:
GTA V, World Of Warcraft, Destiny, The Witcher 3, Guild Wars 2, Call of Duty games and so on?
Most AAA games take 4-5 years to make. Most games suffer release delays. Many crowdfunded projects and games have suffered delays and still did well when released. Divinity Original Sin. Wasteland 2 and so on.
In fact the kickstarter projects with a higher chance of success usually come from veteran developers. In fact most projects fail.

As you point out. SC has the funds. Has the talent. It continues to show progress on the project. The fact that they are financially stable is precisely why they have a better chance of success than many other projects.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released
74. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 23, 2014, 10:13 Comet

There is this mentality that if you are supporting Star Citizen you're a fanboy and if you're a skeptic you really don't know much about the game.

There are indeed blinded fanboys and there are indeed unreasonable skeptics.

The truth is Star Citizen has the support of a lot of people because over the years they have shown signs that they know what they are doing. Yes, their fund raising methods may be controversial for some, but that in no way means that they aren't serious regarding delivering the game as promised.

At the same time people should keep their eyes open and be aware that there is no guarantee that the project will succeed or that the final game will even be to your liking.

As a supporter, the only thing I can share is my personal experience following this project progression.
I'm not a fanboy but I'm not a skeptic either.
As someone that as experience supporting kickstarter projects the only thing I can state is that they did a better job in their initial campaign that many other projects out there. And by that I mean they did their homework and showed actual in engine footage of what they were aiming for.

Now that may mean nothing but lets look at more recent facts

- They have worked with top talent in the entertainment industry. Ryan Church is considered the best concept artist in the world and working right now in Star Wars. They have hired the services of The Imaginarium the best motion capture studio in the world behind Planet of The Apes, Lord Of The Rings and many other.
Other partners such as Behaviour, CGBot and so on have good reputation in the industry.
They have also hired top developers from Activision, EA, industry veterans behind World Of Warcraft, with more than 150 developers with confirmed LinkedIN accounts.
Game visuals so far are even above what was first shown in the initial campaign. As for space flight, the main component of a space sim, they have shown a great improvement since the first fligh sim module alpha. Any supporter can test the most recent build and compare it to other games in the market.
Still if you are skeptic, please name one in cockpit space sim with a better combat system then what is available in AC 1.0 (an in development alpha build of the space sim).

So as much as we can debate the morality behind theur funding tactics, that in no way means they won't be able to deliver the promised game.

If you frankly don't feel confident regarding the project than by all means don't support it. But please accept the fact that many people do think they are on the right track.

As someone points out. 2015 is going to be the year of truth. In a typical 4-5 year development project, by the third year things should start to take shape. So by the end of 2015 people will have a better picture.
They have the funds to do it, lets give them a chance to show it.

47. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 10:16 Comet

InBlack wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 09:13:
Comet wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 08:37:

Why pass judgment now, so early in the development process?

Three reasons.

Firstly, because the crowdfunding initiatives got twisted with the passage of time and because they kept adding more goals and changing their goal posts when they saw fit to do so. You can sugarcoat it any way you like, call it 'expanding' the vision or whatever, the fact of the matter is that they are generating hype by promising the moon and the stars. To me this is wrong, you cant do that and sell 1000+ dollar ships at the same time. Its irresponsible to your backers and its irresponsible towards the army of developers who are trying to build your game. Stick to your original plan or you will never release a game. We've had countless examples of less ambitious projects failing due to mismanagement.

Secondly, Chris Roberts never says NO. When someone answers every question with a YES we have that... or YES we will have that or YES we plan on having that....etc. to me that is a big tell. Ive never seen an interview or statement by CR where he states his reasons for NOT including something in this game. According to CR this game will be everything. Common sense prevails, if its too good to be true....

And thirdly, the thousand dollar virtual items for virtual display, that may at some point end up being playable in a game, when it is eventually released. Now I dont have a problem with people paying thousands of dollars for their virtual ships. I really dont. What I do have a problem with is the way everything is structured around the sale of these ships. The 'game' that I see that CR is building at the moment is one of 'collectible' virtual items. Promo videos of new ships are constantly being released. Promo sales are held, where 'limited' quantities of these ships are sold. The website is streamlined for people who want to purchase these ships. It stinks, no it reeks of the end being the means, instead of the other way round.

I could go on but these three reasons should be enough for anyone to at least raise a few red flags. Im not going to ignore the project silently and I will call out the BS as I see it here on Blues News and elsewhere. Sorry if that bothers you and you are welcome to ignore these posts.

First - They changed their goals? What are the new goals? FPS, promised in initial campaign. Planetside stuff, promised in initial campaign. Capital ship multi crew planed in initial campaign.
So what features are not part of the initial campaign?
Second - No to player built space stations like Egosoft games. They cant also fulfill the idea pf being able to explore every planet like No Mans Sky. Their main promise has always been a Freelancer/Privateer style game but with the added FPS element. Nothing more than that.
Third - Website is centered on game information. They obviously continue to use promotions to drive funds. But again. How is that related to the game quality?
Red flags? Did you see any Red flag prior to AC Unity release?
GTA V was delayed for over a year. Witcher 3 delayed and an ex employee posted some really bad information regarding the dev. Red flags as well? Are people worried or criticizing those devs?

46. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 09:56 Comet

So in your opinion every F2P game is P2W,correct? Would you consider Guild Wars 2 P2W?

By the way regarding balance. Unlike many games like Guild Wars 2 they have confirmed that it wont take months to get higher tier ships. You'll be able to get a Constellation in a matter of weeks. This has been discussed several times and they have posts where they explain how they will balance things in such a way that a player doesnt need to grind.

But lets suppose they are lying. Shouldnt people wait instead of passing judgment now?

One way or the other as far as i know there are only two model to support a MMO. The subscription model. And the F2P model. Both with their pros and cons.
Could you please confirm if you believe every game following the F2P model is in your opinion P2W?

39. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 08:37 Comet

I backed SC and other projects like Elite Dangerous back when their campaigns were launched. Some of the games I have backed turned out good but they were not my style.

Games like Divinity Original Sin. Wasteland 2 are good games but I have barely touched them.
I supported Broken Age and loved the first part of the game. Looking forward to the second part.

ED is exactly what the first Elite games were. It will expand over time to support planet side bases and so on but other than the offline mode feature they have delivered a similar game. Some people will enjoy it. Other won't.

One way or the other, crowdfunding is giving developers a chance to bring back certain types of games that publishers are unwilling to support.

What I don't understand is the hostility of people that make up their mind without learning a bit more about the game. And above all criticizing ain development game based only on the amount of funds they have.

For instance. the following comment :
" If and when he releases the FULL single player game (which is basically what everyone wanted before the MMO fanbois became the dominant voice in the Starcitizen kickstarer"

The promise has not changed one bit. And you just need to check the initial website archive and the initial stretch goals to confirm that.
They ALWAYS promised a MMO with FPS components,boarding and so on.
The single player Squadron 42 as in fact expanded. You can also confirm this by checking the SQ42 notes on the initial campaign and the campaign size increase since then.

Anyway, instead of making up your mind now, why not just wait for next year episode?
By the way episode means, 10 hour campaign. It is bigger then many SP campaigns in other games. This has been confirmed by the SQ42 dev team. But if this is not true, just wait and see.

Why pass judgment now, so early in the development process?

I understand healthy skepticism but why criticize a project this early on? Especially one that is showing progress every month?
One that has released an Arena Commander that progressively adds new modes that showcase different aspects of combat such as PVP, PVE, co-op and so on. That will just in a couple of months add a FPS mode and soon afterwards a planetside part. (the building blocks of the final game)

IF you don't appreciate what their aiming for then just ignore the project. It is not a game for you.
If you do, then wait a bit more. By the end of next year you will probably have a much better view to form your opinion.

Meanwhile do understand that projects like this need people willing to take the risk and support them. Hopefully something good will come out of it. If not, the supporters fanboys and so on will take the blow.
But that is what happens with any crowdfunding project.

32. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 05:28 Comet

TL;DR After reading some of the posts here the feeling I have is that most of you aren't really following this game development. Don't get me wrong.
I have followed the development of MWO. I have seen many developers promise the world and under deliver. AC Unity broke my confidence in major publishers like Ubisoft. But I've also seen developers like Rockstar deliver games like GTA V that suffered release delays but when they did release everyone was happy with the result.

But as I read your comments, the only reason some of you are skeptic about this game or are already predicting it to fail is simply because of two things
- Expensive ships
- Too much hype

None of these reasons have anything to do with the game.
Some of you mention P2W. have you done the math? A game is P2W when it is easier and cheaper to pay to get something especial or powerful instead of taking the time to get it. As an example, if you wanted you could get the best armor or weapon in a game like Guild Wars 2 using real money. But people don't consider GW2 P2W. Why? Because to get that best armor or weapon you would have to waste so much money that it makes a lot more sense just playing the game.
Same goes for SC. If you want, you can use real money to get a big ship. But that would cost you hundreds of dollars. It will make a lot more sense to just play the game to get the ship. SC model is exactly the same as the model used in GW2.
If you consider a game like Guild Wars 2 P2W then yes. SC is P2W. SC and pretty much every single F2P game in the market.
If you don't consider GW2 P2W then SC is not P2W as it is following the same model where it makes more sense to play the game instead of wasting real money.

Now regarding the game their promises and so on. If you are skeptic I would advice you to head to their site and Youtube and watch the huge amount of videos and articles they post every week. I mention this because they are indeed extremely open about their development progression and you can indeed see how things are progressing over time.

Some examples. Due to ED some people were concerned that SC would not support offline play. Same for mods.
They answered the community concerns and even pointed out to information they have. The forum for instance have a mod section.
In the last livestream they pointed out AC Unity buggy release and how they are avoiding that by releasing builds to the public very early on. For instance Arena Commander already allows them to test server load when a new major version of AC is released.
They have also shown live demos of other areas of the game.
Developers are also given the stage so they can share what they are doing without someone on the back controlling what they say. Just watch the latest livestreaq and see for yourself.
They have also shared their 2015 roadmap. With the FPS module being released by the end of January. The planetside module a bit after. The Squadron 42 first 10 missions that take around 10 hours to complete will be released around or after the summer.

Now regarding the game. Let me just share this. I have played Elite Dangerous. Strike Suit Zero. Egosoft X games and many other space sims recent and old. When Arena Commander was released in the start of the year the module had loads of problems. But right now....Right now this is the best space combat in any space sim I have played in recent times.
Don't believe me? Try it yourself. Get the AC module or check Youtube. IT is fast paced and requires skill. And above all, not boring at all.

As for failing to deliver and how the game is delayed and that it will be pushed and so on. This game has been in development for 2 years. Most games take 4-5 years to develop. Their initial promise was to have SQ42 in 2014. They will now have SQ42 in mid 2015.
So congratulations. They are delayed by 6 months to one year. But then again most AAA games have suffered similar delays. Be them GTA V or Witcher 3.
One way or the other only 2 years have passed since they started making this game with a full development team. And by the way they always aimed for a late 2015-2016 release date, so they are still on schedule for their PU release date.(late 2016 i believe) (4 years development time)

One way or the other I see little reason to predict a failure at this moment given the information available.
Facts are facts and the facts are
- Arena Commander shows space combat and it is fun
- Development is being shared with the public.
- Live demos of each module have been shown and in events players have been able to test some of them.
- I don't know if they are wasting all their money on development or not but what we do know is the companies are services they are hiring.
Motion capture is being done by Andy Serkis Imaginarium studios. Regarded as the best motion capture company.
They have hired top talent such as the producer of World Of Warcraft (just the most successful MMO ever). Ryan Church considered the best scfi concept artist in the industry has designed several of SC ships. Ryan is currently working on the new Star Wars movies.
Developers like CGBot, Behaviour that have worked on games like Sbadows Of Mordor, Far Cry 3, Infamous and Star Wars the Old Republic MMO.

My point is. This game has as much probability of failing or succeeding as any other major game. But we can't deny that they have very talented people working on it. And also that it seems like the project is progressing well.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
132. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 19:14 Comet

clint wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:39:
your example doesn't quite match up.
If hl3 promised controller support, and you have a setup for a controller, or would like to be able to use a controller and you thought that was a good selling point, and then you paid money for it. But when the game arrived they removed that feature, But hey you ... have a keyboard and mouse. "and this doesn't affect me at all. at all. at all."

Completely agree with you. But this is crowd funding. Not a pre order for a final product.
The contracts and legal obligation in each case are completely different.
What you just pointed is similar to what happened when Sony removed support for other OSes in PS3. That in return resulted in a lawsuit that is still in courts just to show you how complex these things can be check the wikipedia article on that : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OtherOS

In crowd funding the person asking for your money has no obligation to deliver the product as promised.
But obviously their reputation would be tainted if they didn't deliver as is happening with Elite developer FD.
Check the crowdfunding article on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding
As crowdfunding is a new thing most of the legal protections focus on more business oriented contracts like equity-based crowdfunding

But not in reward based crowd funding. This is no different than I making a promise to write an album in return for $100 in funding and ending up just releasing a couple of songs.
Would my reputation be tainted? Sure. But would you have any legal grounds to ask a refund? No.

Unless you had a way to prove in court that I knew from the start that I wouldn't be able to deliver an album. If so, that could be seen as fraud in the eyes of the court.

Regarding Elite, they are not obliged to deliver on all the features they have promised.
But they should inform people once they are sure they won't be able to deliver a specific feature so that those people can make an informed decision not to send any more funds to that project.
If they don't do that, they may be committing fraud.
And that is why I think FD really needs to treat this situation carefully. Best solution is just to refund people that ask for one based on the fact that they were not informed with enough time to reconsider their support for the project.

122. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 18:41 Comet

You required offline play?
Most games these days need an online connection of some kind even when they are single player games.
So were you planning on playing this game completely offline?

If not, then how does the decision to remove offline play affect you?

120. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 18:37 Comet

I made a couple of posts in the Elite forums as I agree that this is not the moment to announce a feature like "offline play" was cut from a game just about to be released. Since they must have known offline mode wasn't going to be possible for some time I think they should refund those people that backed this project in the last few months thinking offline play would be possible.

But I also disagree that people should be upset when crowd funding projects don't deliver on all their promises. Yes developers can over promise to try and get more funds.
But we are not kids with Kickstarter accounts.
Crowd funding is just that. Funding a project with no guarantees that it will succeed be it partially or not.
This is not a pre order.

In Elite case, truth is the game delivers on most of the promises made and in some cases surpasses expectations.
So I would consider this to be a successful project and a hopefully good return for space sims.
My personal objective for this project has been met. I'm glad to see a new Elite game.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $48 Million
30. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 13:30 Comet

Harrowing wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 05:58:
Comet wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 03:52:

With that said everything that has been shown and released to the public seems to indicate that the game may end up being one of the best space Sims ever created.

So I take you haven't played AC right?
It's a absolute horrible piece of software if you take into consideration what they've promised.
Even for an alpha.

Comet wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 03:52:
And a groundbreaking MMO since few MMOs provide realtime combat at this level

How is it ground breaking if other MMOs already offer what SC will offer?
There's already games that offer combat with a lot more players than SC will ever manage as well.

I have played AC. Both Vanduul Swarm and the MP modes.
Could you please elaborate on the "horrible piece of software"?
You mean horrible as in it's filled with bugs? Yes. It's pre-alpha.
Does it represent the final product? Obviously not. How could it? It's pre alpha.
But other than that...Best ship damage model I've seen in any space sim. (name me one game with better ship damage model). Deep flight model that you can tweak to your liking. Best looking environments and sound in any space sim to date. (name one game that look better)

As for MMOs. Please name a AAA space simm MMO that allows realtime combat similar to Star Citizen.
That allows ship boarding. That merges FPS + space sim aspects.

I'll give you some help..
Jumpgate - Was good for it's time, but much like the X series, never got the budget to provide a true AAA like experience. Lacked immersion and the sense of immersion. Jumpgate Evolution had potential but it was cancelled.
Vendetta Online - Another game far from the quality of a AAA title.
Black Prophecy - Awesome visuals, but again nothing close to AAA quality.
Freelancer - Considered by most, the space sim that offered the best MP experience in a virtual universe. But it was not a MMO. Lots of MP mods were created for it and even today people are playing it. Curiously it was created by Chris Roberts.

People seems to forget that before the Star Citizen campaign....SPACE SIMS WERE DEAD. No one invested on AAA space sims and that resulted in some uninteresting games.

As for upcoming games such as No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous.
I have pledged for Elite Dangerous. I've been playing it since the first alpha was released. I love it. I can't wait for No Man's Sky as well. I hope these games turn out to be a success. But Elite Dangerous already offers a different experience to Star Citizen. I find Star Citizen combat better than Elite Dangerous for instance. I also prefer more fantastic looking environments, than accurate and realistic ones.
So all these games aim to offer a distinct flavor.

So please, do tell me what other AAA space sim provides realtime combat in a MMO like environment?
Can you name ONE successful space sim MMO? (Eve Online is a strategy MMO so that doesn't count).

News Comments > Star Citizen at $48 Million
17. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 03:52 Comet

- Feature creep.
- Alien languages do not cost 1 Million to create.
- More systems, ships and so on please

There is no feature creep because they haven't added anything substantial for ages. All new goals are eighter small stuff already planned or stuff that can improve the game without impacting the project development time. Alien languages is a good example.
Obviously Alien languages do not cost 1 Million to create.
That fits right on the principle of avoiding feature creep by promising big changes. This is crowd funding. Its not pre ordering a game or anything like that.
People are free to help or just wait for the game release.
They have no obligation. The game may suck. The game may fail to be released on schedule. The.game may not have all the promised features on release date.
So its up to each one to decide if it wants to pledge for this project or not.
With that said everything that has been shown and released to the public seems to indicate that the game may end up being one of the best space Sims ever created. And a groundbreaking MMO since few MMOs provide realtime combat at this level

So relax and wait. Enjoy the ride and take the chance to see how a game is developed. At least thats one promise their keeping.

News Comments > Star Citizen Monthly Report
10. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 13:05 Comet

Wildone wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 11:45:
They are in deep trouble. They said yes to way too many goofy requests and didn't focus on the core gameplay (Dogfighting) hence why it sucks balls. Now they have to make good on it all and the result is gonna be a weird awkward mish mash of game types and mechanics, none of which will gel together. Im predicting there will be a huge re-focusing once they figure out it cant be done in a human timeframe. Fan boys will cry and probably commit hari kiri.

Luke wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:20:
To all supporters : We need money ! Clown ' s

Here's the thing. The DFM is out. It's easy to tell where they are going with this game. It could fail or end up being great, I don't know.
But one way or the other, people can already have a taste of what to expect. There is a lot of work to do. The game may even be delayed. (pretty much all AAA games do).

So if their doing a bad job, why new people continue to join and pledge?
Just a bit more than a week ago they reached $47 Million and had 486.134 backers. Now they are close to $47.5 Million, just half from reaching $48 Million and have 491.640 backers. In little more than a week 5500 new pledges.

What's the logic?

News Comments > EA on "Unacceptable" BF4 Launch
26. Re: EA on Jun 20, 2014, 14:56 Comet

Niiicee EA.
Really nice.
To EA. I don't have a lot of bad things to say, other than companies that work in the entertainment sector need to understand that the way they relate with consumers needs to be vastly different than what is found in other "predator" sectors.
To put it simple. STOP THE CORPORATE ACT. Be honest and you'll get faithful consumers. CD Projekt Red is gaining consumers due to the way they conduct business with their consumers.
In the last couple of days the EA Origin service on Xbox One was down.
I don't blame EA alone. I pay for Xbox Live. Online play is behind the Xbox Live paywall so I expect uninterrupted online play as part of the service. So BOTH companies are to blame. One way or the other, fact still is, that neither company can provide 99.9% uptime in their paying service. And that is extremely unfortunate.

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
8. Re: It will come Jun 14, 2014, 14:32 Comet

They're not discussing. They'll release it for sure.
Same as other similar games that were later released on PC. The business decision is simple and works marvelously.
Release console version first. Later on release a game of the year edition on consoles and PC.
Because quite often the PC version ends up "better", people end up buying the game on the PC even though they already played it on consoles.

Some recent examples. GTA V, Last of Us.

I've been playing the Alpha and the game is a perfect fit for the PC.
Quite frankly, at time it feels more like a PC FPS ported to consoles than a console exclusive. Cursor to navigate menus and all.
Many will buy it on the PC. Console versions are locked to 30 FPS. I'm enjoying the game, but damn.. I miss 60FPS.
This game would be so much more enjoyable with mouse and keyboard.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals
40. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 13:58 Comet

InBlack wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:01:
Comet wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 08:38:
Stopping the stretch goals won't stop people from pledging. Obviously it makes little sense to stop accepting funds. They continue to attract more people simply because people are interested in a cinematic space Sim. Besides, the most important module of all, the dogfighting module is out so people can evaluate for themselves.
What I don't understand in some of the opinions expressed is why some think that they will fail simply because of the huge amount of money they have raised.
Why more money necessarily means failure?

Its not that more money = failure. Its the ridiculous strechgoals that seem to spell, BAD MISMANAGEMENT. You cant keep adding features to a project once production has started in earnest. Your programmers will hate you and you will end up behind schedule and with crappy software. You have heard of featurecreep I take it? Well this is it. And then some.

But they're not adding new features. There is no feature creep.
For instance the Arena Commander was promised at the $16 Million stretch goal. Honestly, Arena Commander is not a new feature. It's simply a way to test gameplay scenarios. Elite Dangerous is doing the same with the different combat scenarios demos.
Fact is, their just doing what anyone would do. Accept money for long term goals and company sustainability. They're aiming for a similar development system as Eve Online that has existed for more than 14 years.
Basically you do the core game and instead of doing a new Star Citizen in 5-8 years they simply build on top of the existing one.

In fact, everything they've been showing as stretch goals is minor stuff that was going to be in the game in the first place... Think about it. Unlocking star systems? The plan is to have 100 systems in the first place. Their just announcing systems that were already planned.
There are ambitious stretch goals. For instance the R&D team that will look into procedural generation. But this are long term goals that will only come a long time after the games release.
I'm not inventing anything. When the game reached $20 Million CIG stated this :
"there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as itís ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game."

Also when they reached $39 Million they stated :
"Now itís time to look a little further in the future!
Star Citizen isnít just about the game we launch with...we want to build Star Citizen in a way that the experience will be fresh in five years, ten years and into the foreseeable future.
This stretch goal will allocate funding for Cloud Imperium to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen."

The game has long been funded. They'll probably reach the target functionality on time for an expected release sometime in 2016 (for Star Citizen). 2015 for Squadron 42. And I can assure you that not all features will be in it.
They will have the basic functionality that makes any MMO an MMO.
You know, guild system (organizations), player driven economy, events system and so on.
Take a good look at the stretch goals, then compare that with the typical MMO like Guild Wars 2 or Eve Online.
Any MMO is as complex as Star Citizen and usually take about 4-5 years to make. The game is in it's second year of development. So two more years to go. (2016 release date as expected)
By the way. The game will surely be delayed. (what big budget game doesn't get delayed?)

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2014, 05:45.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals
30. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 08:38 Comet

Stopping the stretch goals won't stop people from pledging. Obviously it makes little sense to stop accepting funds. They continue to attract more people simply because people are interested in a cinematic space Sim. Besides, the most important module of all, the dogfighting module is out so people can evaluate for themselves.
What I don't understand in some of the opinions expressed is why some think that they will fail simply because of the huge amount of money they have raised.
Why more money necessarily means failure?

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock
30. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 19, 2014, 04:22 Comet

InBlack wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 06:04:
Tom wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 16:57:

I thought Elite: Dangerous was primarily a single-player game with traditional multiplayer? Am I wrong about this, have they gone down the MMO route? (Please say no, please say no, please say no)

It's primarily single player but they have a neat multiplayer system.
You can choose to play the game completely alone just like previous Elite games disconnected from the internet. choose to play alone In a shared universe. The advantage of the shared universe is that events will be generated based on the player community actions.
Or choose to play with other players in the shared universe.
They use a group system that allows players to tailor the multiplayer system to their likening. You can read the full details on this at the flowing URL
[url=]http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6300[/url]

53 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo