Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joao

Real Name Joao   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Comet
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 12, 2007, 15:42
Total Comments 65 (Suspect)
User ID 40334

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
90. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 16:45 Comet

panbient wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 16:16:
Comet wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:58:
Is CIG any different from other AAA developers?

Yes. Yes they really are. Mainly because they have the budget but no publisher oversight. And while there's a substantial group of gamers who automatically believe that removing the suits from the equation will result in some kind of gaming utopia we're all seeing the results (or lack thereof).

I can't think of any dissenting comment I've read that didn't think the ideas were cool, or that standard delays would ruin things - what people are concerned with is their ability to realistically deliver what's been advertised.

Could they have made a great single player space opera? Probably (pretty freaking certain to be honest).
Could they have made a great multiplayer combat space shooter? Probably.
Could they have made a great persistent open universe game? Maybe.

Could they make it all and let you be anything all at the same time? Probably not.

Actually, they do have oversight. The same kind of oversight in fact.
Microsoft invested $90 Million in Halo MMO before cancelling it.

How does a publisher enforce its position? By not sending more funds unless results are shown.

Exactly the same thing happens with crowdfunding. In fact it is happening right now. I'm not defending CIG. Much like publishers We are all investors. We all want to see results.

You and I assumed the risk. You and I are both waiting to see more results. The crowd supported this vision. Why did you support SC instead of smaller space sim projects?

Right now CIG isn't getting as much funds as they did when they showed their progress at the start of the year. Same as what happens with publishers. The developers show their progress and publishers send them more money.

Right now, people want to see more results. They may come during Gamescom or they may not come at all. If they don't come, CIG won't be able to raise more funds and will have to work with what they have.
The pressure is the same if not higher. Because not only do they have to convince the crowd but they also have to face the public pressure a developer under a publisher deal doesn't suffer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 16:26 Comet

Slytat wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 16:04:
http://pastebin.com/mSM29KZs

Proof that these guys only care about your money.

TB said something to the effect of (and this is not verbatim) Developers should not be happy to hold on to your money if you are not happy with what they are selling.

If guys like Zor et al want to keep lapping up CR's deception laced fetid urine, that is of course their choice, for those who rightly feel deceived (the deception having been proved over and over and over and over again in 'The Chairman's' own words FFS), then they should be entitled to a 'no questions asked' refund.

For those who want a refund, and are being brushed off by CIG, contact your CC company.

I respect the rights of those people who want to blindly support this project, it's your money. Conversely, you should respect the rights of the people who want to get off the bus after it has missed every f**king stop on it's route.

Seems like he is yet another investor that doesn't know what crowdfunding is.

Slytat, please read my comment with an open mind before posting.

What is the difference between funding and buying?

When you fund something, that something is built with your money.
When you buy something, that something was built with some other investor money.

You can't build anything without money. So what you do is, you spend your own money to build it. And if you can't do it yourself, you seek investors.
There is a reason why investors help fund certain projects but don't invest on others. And the reason is......They can't get their money back.

That money was spent building the product. That is why it is crowdfunding and not crowdbuying.

Still if you don't accept the above argument please check Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding

Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising monetary contributions from a large number of people, typically via the internet.[1]

Raising monetary contributions. Not buying.

74. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 15:58 Comet

As usual I still don't understand why some people post comments filled with incorrect information yet are so sure they are right.
If you really want to be informed instead of just posting emotional nonsense, read this. If not, there is no point in exchanging opinions with someone that doesn't even take the time to check his/her information.

Unfortunately due to Bluesnews URL limitations had to remove some of the links.

- Regarding some claims that FPS was not part of the initial plan :
Check the archived version of RSI web page from October 2012.
Information in "Star Citizen Project" page

While you will probably spend a majority of time in the cockpit there will be first-person mechanics built into the game. When you are flying on some of the bigger ships (transports, carriers, etc.), you will be able to wander the halls of the ship while a friend pilots, jump on a turret if you get attacked, even repel attempted boarders if needed.

For many, this was one of the big reasons why they supported the project. Now it may not have been why YOU supported the project. But different people have different motivations.

- Regarding delays or how the project scope changed.
I backed this game back in 2012. Two things I knew from the start
  • Only 25% of crowdfunded projects are released on time : http://www.appsblogger.com/behind-kickstarter-crowdfunding-stats/

• The success of any funding effort greatly depends not on one person but in the combined effort of the crowd. This is not a game ONLY for me. It is a game for every backer. Some prefer a particular type of game. Others have different preferences. But in the end everyone is an investor

• So when people say. Why are they doing this or that? Because of the people that have supported them. This game has $85 Million in funding because of the crowd.
    It was the COMMUNITY that decided that they should continue with stretch goals. It was the community that chose to go for a AAA budget game.
    Check the $46 Million letter for the Chairman article where CIG requests feedback on the matter to the community.
    Crowdfunding is a community effort. If the majority prefer one thing over the other, that is the path to take even if you don't like it.

- CIG has been open from the start. Their pledge has been on their website since the initial campaign. You can read it yourself. In it they clearly states:

There may be delays and there may be changes; we recognize that such things are inevitable and would be lying to you if we claimed otherwise. But when this happens, we will treat you with the respect you deserve rather than spending your money on public relations. When we need to change a mechanic or alter something you believe should be in the game, we will tell you exactly why.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/the-pledge

- Almost all of the bigger crowdfunded projects suffered big delays. And most publisher funded projects suffer similar delays:

Pillars of Eternity - Delayed and people had similar skepticism. Now it is among the list of best RPGs
    Broken Age - Delayed. And similar concerns
    Divinity Origial Sin : Delayed.

Recent publisher funded games that suffered delays. GTA V, Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, The Division, Uncharted 4 and so many others.

- Forget the $20 Million game. This is now a $80 Million one.
    It is for all intentions equivalent in funding to big AAA games.
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to do a big AAA game in just 2 or 3 years. Most AAA games these days take 4-5 years to make and cost more than $20 Million to make. Don't take my word for it. Check Kotaku article on the cost of big video games.
    Or Polygon article on the "The State Of Games".
    Or "Solving the AAA crisis" on Gameindustry.biz

To sum up. If you are unwilling to accept delays, If you are unwilling to actually read what they promised from the start, If you are unwilling to accept that in crowdfunding, the interest of the many out-weight the interests of the few, then

Why did you support the effort in the first place?

And one last question. Is CIG any different from other AAA developers?
    300+ employees with several industry veterans working on the project.
    Big partners like Behavior, CGBot, The Imaginarium and so on working on the project.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2015, 16:04.

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
    32. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 10:59 Comet

GTA V looks great but I disagree with your opinion regarding lightning and shaders because of the following :

Check this video of The Witcher 3. Ultra settings 4K
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_9r9NLHPs

And GTA 5 : Ultra 4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM9EcdSx4j4

I think this example clearly shows how impressive The Witcher 3 is. Huge amounts of vegetation, trees, particle effects, physics, animation and so on. The GTA V lighting system has a much smaller color pallet. For instance look at The Witcher 3 environments at night and GTA V.

But again the following video will change your opinion. In GTA V for instance HDR is far less "accurate" so to speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APFy5G7vueA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRDsMwS4Vs

And this next one should really help drive the point :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOSG-JyPz4w (PS4 footage by the way)

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
    30. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 10:45 Comet

First of all. I'm biased. CDR has always provided top notch service and value to their consumers. And as far as The Witcher 3 it is indeed a masterpiece. Downgraded graphics or not.

Perhaps if it was another company I would be criticizing them for the downgraded graphics but the thing is I do think it's a bit unfair comparing The Witcher 3 downgrade to say, Watchdogs downgrade.

The key difference in my eyes is this. Watchdogs downgrade resulted in a game that really didn't impress in the graphics department when compared to other similar games at the time.

But The Witcher 3 still impresses even after the downgrade. As an example. GTA IV was already technically better in many areas than Watchdogs. For instance, the dynamic lightning system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGRsrFdwb2c

As for The Witcher 3, considering that it has become a open world game, there is nothing in the market that is as impressive. Not only are they rendering a much bigger environment with an impressive draw distance, but the world is far more interactive than other similar games.

One example.
    Dragon Age Inquisition is really great. I love the environment detail. But much like a COD map, it is a lot more static. For instance trees, clothes, hair all behave to wind in Witcher 3 and are static in Dragon Age Inquisition.
    The physics system in The Witcher 3 is a lot better than many other similar games.
    Also the character animation system is superior to other games. People move and react a lot more realistic than other games as recent as Dragon Age. Lots and lots of performance capture in The Witcher 3. Also character poly count is on par or above recent RPGs. Clothing has far more layers of detail than recent RPGs.
    And don't forget. Unlike other recent games, they have a real day/night cycle that is impressive.

My point is. Downgrade or not, The Witcher 3 graphics are still above others making it one of the best looking RPGs of recent times. The same could not be said of Watchdogs.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
    7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 14, 2015, 16:55 Comet

Crowdfunding hasn't wanned. Quite the contrary.
    But if you do a crowdfunding project and fail, don't expect to get support next time.
    But if you do a good job it becomes a valid platform.
    The new Pebble Time crowdfunding was far more successful than the first one. In fact, there are far bigger and ambitious projects now than a few years back when crowdfunding got popular.

One thing is clear. It is not going away.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed: Syndicate?
    8. Re: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate? May 9, 2015, 05:21 Comet

I bought almost every AC game and enjoyed mnost of them.
    Nut one thing I didnīt enjoy was the performance and bugs that often broke the game.
    In AC Black Flag for instance I lost my savegames. The cloud save feature was broken and it deleted my most recent progress.
    Iīm a legit consumer and was forced to download a pirated version of the game to use some savegames I found online. No alternative here as the Ubisoft support was everything but helpful.

I pre ordered AC Unity and even though the game was filled with bugs I patiently waited to see if they could solve the game problems.
    They solved many bugs but even to this day the game is broken.
    I use SLI and there are several bugs that completely spoil the fun.

So yet again we have a new AC game, just one year after the complete disaster that was Unity
    Yes sure, Ubisoft wonīt make the same mistake again. This will probably be the most stable game.
    It will probably look good, be fun and all that.
    But excited or anxious to see what they have like I did for past games?
    Not one bit.
    Iīm completely burned out.

Will I skip AC if its a great game? Probably. There are many other games
    play and quite frankly I still feel that they need to learn a lesson.
    No not just because of Unity. Watchdogs was another game I bought that not only failed to reach expectations but also had some bugs, more specifically stuttering that spoiled the fun.
    Far Cry 4 is the only AAA game that saved Ubisoft last year.

Oh well. If the game is really that good, there are always other ways of playing it to avoid bugs that break your savegames

This comment was edited on May 9, 2015, 06:29.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity
    17. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 17, 2015, 14:47 Comet

Pledged $50 back in the day. Now getting the equivalent of the $90 version

Hope the game is good, but if not I'm glad I helped anyway. Obsidian almost went bankrupt after all.

From what I've heard the game is at least decent. We'll see.

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
    102. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 21:02 Comet

Wildone wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 17:43:
    Lmao thats a problem right there, why in the hell would you need to hire them for a GAME?!? The resolution and fidelity of characters is nowhere near movie quality unless they plan to waste cycles having some schmuck animate every hair follicle which is probably not far off, they keep finding ways to deviate and side track from the main mission which I thought was a good Space Combat Sim..now its turned into some monster...bad bad sign. Anyway, Mocap is mocap..no need to waste money on hiring a hollywood team to do game stuff, it doesnt make the game better. They have lost control of this..

Comet wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 17:32:
    You know the company behind that did motion capture for Gollum (LOTR) and Rise Planet of The Apes? They've been hired to work in Star Citizen.

A couple of things. In case you havenīt noticed game graphics and technology is continuously evolving. In newer games, characters are much more lifelike. Look at the upcoming Uncharted game. Star Citizen is simply using the latest tech much like the upcoming 2015-2016-2017 games are.
    Also the current character models are not final. They are now implementing Infinite Realities technology. You can check demos of the tech yourself. Download it or check videos on Youtube.

As for hiring them for a game and deviating from the main mission. Given that they have the budget to do it, In what way delivering a better looking and greater experience deviates from the main mission? Do you want them to build a game for the past or the present? Besides what makes more sense. Wasting time building less impressive characters or wasting time using newer technology to make better looking ones. In case you didn't know they are using this technology because it delivers better results in less time then doing it manually.

And by the way. You just gave a great example. Instead of having an artist wasting time animating a human model, newer technology allows them to CAPTURE the motion a lot faster and with much better results. So there you have it.

101. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 20:38 Comet

Kosumo wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 17:58:
    Comet wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 17:32:
    Don't take my word for it.
    You know the company behind that did motion capture for Gollum (LOTR) and Rise Planet of The Apes? They've been hired to work in Star Citizen.

That's you being misinformed I think. Weta Digital , for what I know, has nothing to do with this Christ Roberts circus. Only second hand info tho so please corect me if wrong.

I think you mean Imaginarium

Andy Serkis the actor that did Gollum LOTR and Caesar in Dawn Planet Of The Apes is the founder of Imagimarium. The Imaginarium provide the actors for the Planet of The Apes movies.

89. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 17:32 Comet

Reading some of the comments here clearly shows that different people have different opinions.
    But what I don't understand is why some people made up stuff to support their opinions.

Anyway, there seems to be some confusion regarding to Squadron 42 Episode 1.
    Watch the video. Episode 1 is not a small episode. They plan about 17 missions. About 20 hours of gameplay. That is more than the PS4 exclusive The Order (just joking).
    Thing is Squadron 42 is not going to be a small game.

Also a few things to point out regarding the game cost.
    SC was never going to be a $6 Million game.
    From the start they were clear that $6 Million was just the start. The goal was to get the rest of the funds from VCs. They were aiming for $20 Million. They never lied about it. You can find news articles and post from 2012 where they stated this.
    And they still don't shy away from those comments.
    Check th news article from November 2014 at crowdfundinsider.com

So where is all the extra money being invested into?
    I don't know. The only thing I do know is that they have been hiring the best of the best over the years. And acquiring the best technology in the market. Don't take my word for it.
    You know the company behind that did motion capture for Gollum (LOTR) and Rise Planet of The Apes? They've been hired to work in Star Citizen. You know the concept artist George Hull? The Verge has a good article on him. He did the concept art for most of the top sci-fi movies of the last decade or so.
    And now he is designing some of Star Citizen ships.
    Other examples. They went from using hand made character models to doing full body scans to create more realistic characters. They bought some of the best and most expensive motion capture cameras on the market. They have more than 300 people working on the project. Just as an example GTA V had a development cost of $137 Million. Rockstar North hires around 360 people.

The end result is that instead of CIG being a small indie developer building a $20 Million game, they now are a big indie developer. The scope of the game did not change. The gameplay did not change. But the quality does change because they can hire the best. Use the most recent tools and so on. That is the difference between Call Of Duty and a small indie title like Insurgency.
    And that is why the game, with all those high quality assets will probably require 100 Gbytes of space.

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
    26. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 08:10 Comet

I love some of the prophecies on the comment section.

I for once won't make any prophecies.
    I'll just state the obvious.

- Star Citizen project grew in size and with it the chance to hire new industry veterans.
    - Each studio goal and focus changed and with it the leading role requirements.
    - Some of the previous leading roles such as Erin, Rob and so on saw their rise in popularity and with it the opportunity to do something of their own. Obviously running your own business is much more interesting than following someone else vision.

Also $70 Million has allowed CIG to hire more top industry veterans.
    A lot of the Crytek leading developers are now working for CIG.
    They hired God of War veteran Todd Papy and Alex Mayberry from World Of Warcraft.

So there is no conspiracy theory here. Erin interests and CIG interests were no longer the same.
    Erin wants to do his own thing. And CIG probably wanted to expand.

CJ_Parker wrote :
    "Their departures are very telling of CR's "loyalty" and leadership qualities..."

Come on. Erin has already explained that it was his own decision. He wouldn't have to move to LA but his job would require him to travel a lot more.
    Still don't take my work for it. Here it from Erin himself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfCouGO2vik&t=83

Look at Erin LinkedIn and other sources. If anything Chris always kept close to the people he enjoyed working with.
    Chris was the CEO of Digital Anvil and he could have hired different people for his company. Instead he hired Erin and other people that worked on past projects he was involved in.

In fact Erin is openly addressing the Star Citizen community to get support for his project. And CIG has been talking to him and promoting his job. They are even going to post an interview with Erin soon.

Check the Descent project. I for once like their idea. Can they make it? Don't know but they seem to have a decent vision where they want to go. They also have experience so...I think they made a good bet with UE4.
    Thing is, if you like their idea great. If not just move along.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
    47. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 18:52 Comet

jdreyer wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 17:06:
    This is going to be yet another 100 comment SC thread, isn't it.

Popcorn

Of course it is.
    You see. There are those that are following the project and are a bit more informed about the subject than the people creating this click bait articles.

David Piner has been critical of the project since the start.
    Comments like this make his opinion quite clear

"Is it a bad thing? Well, to me it is, but looking at a broad perspective, it's very hard to define what is and isn't bad in Star Citizen"

Regarding REC the "issue" if there is one is simple.
    CIG is implementing an unlock system in the alpha stage that is going to be used in the final game and it is doing it now because it allows anyone to access any ship in Arena Commander even if that ship is not part of the package they got when helping fund the project. Basically trying to kill two rabbits in a row.

While playing AC you get REC points. You can use REC to rent ships. The ships are not permanent but you can play the "rented" ship as much as you want for 7 days. You can use these days however you want. So you could play for 24h today and that would only count for one day. And play again in one month and that would only count as your second day.

Now why aren't Arena Commander unlocks permanent?
    Because they want to avoid turning SC into an Arena Commander game so to speak. Goal is for people to earn ships and other content in the persistent universe. Not in the Arena Commander. So in the final game you'll be able to buy a ship in the persistent universe and it will be available in the Arena Combat modes.

The thing is this system also respects the "advantage" given to those that have spent more money funding the project or are long time backers.

Now obviously Ten Ton Hammer does not approve this.
    Well Ten Ton Hammer claims he is looking towards the people interest. WRONG. If unlocks were permanent other members of the community would be complaining.

The REC system is not perfect. No system is. But it is a system that makes a lot more sense to implement in SC than permanent unlocks. And the controversy does not come from the community. it comes from sites like TTH.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
    26. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Jan 11, 2015, 20:34 Comet

I'm going to try to explain my point of view in the simplest way I can.

I have no reason to defend or attack the developers of Star Citizen.
    I don't work for CIG but I do know a bit about the industry. If that is relevant or not it's up to you.
    I personally think they have made some mistakes when it comes to the way they have managed their crowd-funding effort.
    They have also missed their expected end of 2014 release of SQ42. But I personally expected a missed deadline from the start.

I look at Star Citizen and the game developer in much the same way I look at any other game developers. And when it comes to crowdfunding I don't simply jump at a project without doing some homework.

Star Citizen and CIG are no different than any other developer.
    What that means is :

- The expected release date developers point out to investors is usually too good to be true. Software development is not linear and it is hard to make predictions earlier on.
    - The most critical "element" of any project is money.
    - The second most critical "element" is experience. It is for this reason that good games often come from the same studios.

Now we may not approve their business tactics. But question is.
    Can they deliver or not? Can we already announce the project a failure? If so what are the reasons why we believe they will or have failed?

My point is..it is easy to criticize something. specially if we don't approve some business decisions. But look at other games.
    Look at the game development cost. The time needed and all that.

What we know is this.
    - They have hired several top developers. The external contractors working for them have a good track record. Their total team size has grown steadily as expected.
    - They have enough money to fund a big MMO.
    - If their goal is to produce a AAA game comparable in quality to other big budget games, the average time to make a AAA game is 4 years.

Anything else we state is pure speculation. If they fail to show anything tangible by the end of 2015 then yes, criticize. But to call this a failed project when it is just now entering its third year in development seems to be a bit unreasonable.
    Comparing it to Duke Nukem Forever, a game announced in 1997 to be released in 2001 and ended up being released in 2011... come on. Is that fair?
    Someone like me is labeled a fanboy when the only thing I did is point out the information we know about the company. THE COMPANY. Just the facts.

I may be wrong, but the way I see it, the only reason some people criticize Star Citizen developers is because they have become a high profile project due to the amount of money they have raised.
    As an example, Ubisoft released a few games over the years with some bugs. Watchdogs had stuttering in some systems. Some people had issues with save games in AC Black Flag. And AC Unity was such a bad launch. Still, people continue to buy their games. Continue to buy Far Cry 4. People criticize Ubisoft but no one, literally no one could predict the failure of AC Unity. At the same time no one could predict that Dragon Age Inquisition was going to be so good. Especially since Dragon Age 2 was average.

Same goes for SC. No one can predict if it is going to be a good game or not. No one can predict if they will succeed or not. At least not this earlier on. They are only half way from the expected finishing line when compared to most AAA games development time.

14. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Jan 11, 2015, 16:45 Comet

InBlack wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 11:54:

*checks Comet's post history*

Kind of hard to take you seriously when every single one of your posts has been defending Starcitizen. There is a word for that you know?

Defending Star Citizen? Check my posts again and please read them. I don't defend Star Citizen.
    I also don't come here and make predictions that they will fail or that their a scam or whatever.

Instead of making assumptions look at the information available at the moment and check the project before trowing any conclusions.

What we know is this:
    - They are financially independent. They have the funds to create a AAA title.
    - They didn't run with the money. They have hired close to 300 people working across different internal and external studios.
    - The people working on the title have worked on some of the most well known movies and games. You can confirm this yourself as CIG shares the names of the people and studios working on the game.
    For instance, if you take the time to read the Monthly report stated in this article you can find several names, such as:
    Imaginarium studios : Just the best motion capture studio in the industry at the moment. -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imaginarium_Studios
    3Lateral : Facial motion capture for Ryse, GTA V and so on.
    BHVR : Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 3
    And so on and on. Check the names of the developers if you want and the games they've been involved in.
    Did you know for instance that what is considered the best concept artist in the world, worked on the design of some of Star Citizen ships. Check Ryan Church website yourself.

Understand this. I'm not a fanboy. In fact I don't expect much. This project can indeed fail. Many talented developers release games that fail to reach expectations. Destiny, AC Unity and so on as examples. The Witcher 3 could be a failure. We don't know.
    Somehow people expected Titanfall would be a good game because it was being created by ex Infinity Ward employees. And indeed it was.

But given the talent they have hired, given the time that has passed, given the fact that they are doing a good job sharing the development progress and given the fact that they do have the funds to create the game (just like any other big studio), why would I predict the project failure so soon?

What I fail to understand is how people predict this game to fail. Going as far as calling it another "Duke Nukem Forever", based only on the amount of money they have raised.
    True. Many developers promise the world but don't have the funds or even the team to build the game they promise. In SC case, right now, they have both. Money and the team to do it. Can they fail? Of course they can. I pre ordered The Witcher 3 because I think CD Projekt Red has a good track record and talented developers but who knows...It could be another AC Unity (that I pre ordered as well by the way)

The reason why I'm giving SC a chance is just the facts available that people can check for themselves. The talent they have hired. The team size. The information the developers are sharing. The project roadmap and so on.

If you're skeptic just wait. But at least do your homework. Check how much AAA games cost to produce. Check how long it takes to develop them and so on. Kotaku and Wikipedia has a pretty good list you can check :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

I just don't think now is the time to reach any conclusion.
    In one year time perhaps. But now? I don't think so.

3. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Jan 11, 2015, 10:27 Comet

How long did it take to develop:
    GTA V, World Of Warcraft, Destiny, The Witcher 3, Guild Wars 2, Call of Duty games and so on?
    Most AAA games take 4-5 years to make. Most games suffer release delays. Many crowdfunded projects and games have suffered delays and still did well when released. Divinity Original Sin. Wasteland 2 and so on.
    In fact the kickstarter projects with a higher chance of success usually come from veteran developers. In fact most projects fail.

As you point out. SC has the funds. Has the talent. It continues to show progress on the project. The fact that they are financially stable is precisely why they have a better chance of success than many other projects.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released
    74. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 23, 2014, 10:13 Comet

There is this mentality that if you are supporting Star Citizen you're a fanboy and if you're a skeptic you really don't know much about the game.

There are indeed blinded fanboys and there are indeed unreasonable skeptics.

The truth is Star Citizen has the support of a lot of people because over the years they have shown signs that they know what they are doing. Yes, their fund raising methods may be controversial for some, but that in no way means that they aren't serious regarding delivering the game as promised.

At the same time people should keep their eyes open and be aware that there is no guarantee that the project will succeed or that the final game will even be to your liking.

As a supporter, the only thing I can share is my personal experience following this project progression.
    I'm not a fanboy but I'm not a skeptic either.
    As someone that as experience supporting kickstarter projects the only thing I can state is that they did a better job in their initial campaign that many other projects out there. And by that I mean they did their homework and showed actual in engine footage of what they were aiming for.

Now that may mean nothing but lets look at more recent facts

- They have worked with top talent in the entertainment industry. Ryan Church is considered the best concept artist in the world and working right now in Star Wars. They have hired the services of The Imaginarium the best motion capture studio in the world behind Planet of The Apes, Lord Of The Rings and many other.
    Other partners such as Behaviour, CGBot and so on have good reputation in the industry.
    They have also hired top developers from Activision, EA, industry veterans behind World Of Warcraft, with more than 150 developers with confirmed LinkedIN accounts.
    Game visuals so far are even above what was first shown in the initial campaign. As for space flight, the main component of a space sim, they have shown a great improvement since the first fligh sim module alpha. Any supporter can test the most recent build and compare it to other games in the market.
    Still if you are skeptic, please name one in cockpit space sim with a better combat system then what is available in AC 1.0 (an in development alpha build of the space sim).

So as much as we can debate the morality behind theur funding tactics, that in no way means they won't be able to deliver the promised game.

If you frankly don't feel confident regarding the project than by all means don't support it. But please accept the fact that many people do think they are on the right track.

As someone points out. 2015 is going to be the year of truth. In a typical 4-5 year development project, by the third year things should start to take shape. So by the end of 2015 people will have a better picture.
    They have the funds to do it, lets give them a chance to show it.

47. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 10:16 Comet

InBlack wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 09:13:
    Comet wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 08:37:

Why pass judgment now, so early in the development process?

Three reasons.

Firstly, because the crowdfunding initiatives got twisted with the passage of time and because they kept adding more goals and changing their goal posts when they saw fit to do so. You can sugarcoat it any way you like, call it 'expanding' the vision or whatever, the fact of the matter is that they are generating hype by promising the moon and the stars. To me this is wrong, you cant do that and sell 1000+ dollar ships at the same time. Its irresponsible to your backers and its irresponsible towards the army of developers who are trying to build your game. Stick to your original plan or you will never release a game. We've had countless examples of less ambitious projects failing due to mismanagement.

Secondly, Chris Roberts never says NO. When someone answers every question with a YES we have that... or YES we will have that or YES we plan on having that....etc. to me that is a big tell. Ive never seen an interview or statement by CR where he states his reasons for NOT including something in this game. According to CR this game will be everything. Common sense prevails, if its too good to be true....

And thirdly, the thousand dollar virtual items for virtual display, that may at some point end up being playable in a game, when it is eventually released. Now I dont have a problem with people paying thousands of dollars for their virtual ships. I really dont. What I do have a problem with is the way everything is structured around the sale of these ships. The 'game' that I see that CR is building at the moment is one of 'collectible' virtual items. Promo videos of new ships are constantly being released. Promo sales are held, where 'limited' quantities of these ships are sold. The website is streamlined for people who want to purchase these ships. It stinks, no it reeks of the end being the means, instead of the other way round.

I could go on but these three reasons should be enough for anyone to at least raise a few red flags. Im not going to ignore the project silently and I will call out the BS as I see it here on Blues News and elsewhere. Sorry if that bothers you and you are welcome to ignore these posts.

First - They changed their goals? What are the new goals? FPS, promised in initial campaign. Planetside stuff, promised in initial campaign. Capital ship multi crew planed in initial campaign.
    So what features are not part of the initial campaign?
    Second - No to player built space stations like Egosoft games. They cant also fulfill the idea pf being able to explore every planet like No Mans Sky. Their main promise has always been a Freelancer/Privateer style game but with the added FPS element. Nothing more than that.
    Third - Website is centered on game information. They obviously continue to use promotions to drive funds. But again. How is that related to the game quality?
    Red flags? Did you see any Red flag prior to AC Unity release?
    GTA V was delayed for over a year. Witcher 3 delayed and an ex employee posted some really bad information regarding the dev. Red flags as well? Are people worried or criticizing those devs?

46. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 09:56 Comet

So in your opinion every F2P game is P2W,correct? Would you consider Guild Wars 2 P2W?

By the way regarding balance. Unlike many games like Guild Wars 2 they have confirmed that it wont take months to get higher tier ships. You'll be able to get a Constellation in a matter of weeks. This has been discussed several times and they have posts where they explain how they will balance things in such a way that a player doesnt need to grind.

But lets suppose they are lying. Shouldnt people wait instead of passing judgment now?

One way or the other as far as i know there are only two model to support a MMO. The subscription model. And the F2P model. Both with their pros and cons.
    Could you please confirm if you believe every game following the F2P model is in your opinion P2W?

39. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 08:37 Comet

I backed SC and other projects like Elite Dangerous back when their campaigns were launched. Some of the games I have backed turned out good but they were not my style.

Games like Divinity Original Sin. Wasteland 2 are good games but I have barely touched them.
    I supported Broken Age and loved the first part of the game. Looking forward to the second part.

ED is exactly what the first Elite games were. It will expand over time to support planet side bases and so on but other than the offline mode feature they have delivered a similar game. Some people will enjoy it. Other won't.

One way or the other, crowdfunding is giving developers a chance to bring back certain types of games that publishers are unwilling to support.

What I don't understand is the hostility of people that make up their mind without learning a bit more about the game. And above all criticizing ain development game based only on the amount of funds they have.

For instance. the following comment :
    " If and when he releases the FULL single player game (which is basically what everyone wanted before the MMO fanbois became the dominant voice in the Starcitizen kickstarer"

The promise has not changed one bit. And you just need to check the initial website archive and the initial stretch goals to confirm that.
    They ALWAYS promised a MMO with FPS components,boarding and so on.
    The single player Squadron 42 as in fact expanded. You can also confirm this by checking the SQ42 notes on the initial campaign and the campaign size increase since then.

Anyway, instead of making up your mind now, why not just wait for next year episode?
    By the way episode means, 10 hour campaign. It is bigger then many SP campaigns in other games. This has been confirmed by the SQ42 dev team. But if this is not true, just wait and see.

Why pass judgment now, so early in the development process?

I understand healthy skepticism but why criticize a project this early on? Especially one that is showing progress every month?
    One that has released an Arena Commander that progressively adds new modes that showcase different aspects of combat such as PVP, PVE, co-op and so on. That will just in a couple of months add a FPS mode and soon afterwards a planetside part. (the building blocks of the final game)

IF you don't appreciate what their aiming for then just ignore the project. It is not a game for you.
    If you do, then wait a bit more. By the end of next year you will probably have a much better view to form your opinion.

Meanwhile do understand that projects like this need people willing to take the risk and support them. Hopefully something good will come out of it. If not, the supporters fanboys and so on will take the blow.
    But that is what happens with any crowdfunding project.

65 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo