Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joao

Real Name Joao   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Comet
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 12, 2007, 15:42
Total Comments 41 (Suspect)
User ID 40334

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen at $48 Million
30. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 13:30 Comet

Harrowing wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 05:58:
Comet wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 03:52:

With that said everything that has been shown and released to the public seems to indicate that the game may end up being one of the best space Sims ever created.

So I take you haven't played AC right?
It's a absolute horrible piece of software if you take into consideration what they've promised.
Even for an alpha.

Comet wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 03:52:
And a groundbreaking MMO since few MMOs provide realtime combat at this level

How is it ground breaking if other MMOs already offer what SC will offer?
There's already games that offer combat with a lot more players than SC will ever manage as well.

I have played AC. Both Vanduul Swarm and the MP modes.
Could you please elaborate on the "horrible piece of software"?
You mean horrible as in it's filled with bugs? Yes. It's pre-alpha.
Does it represent the final product? Obviously not. How could it? It's pre alpha.
But other than that...Best ship damage model I've seen in any space sim. (name me one game with better ship damage model). Deep flight model that you can tweak to your liking. Best looking environments and sound in any space sim to date. (name one game that look better)

As for MMOs. Please name a AAA space simm MMO that allows realtime combat similar to Star Citizen.
That allows ship boarding. That merges FPS + space sim aspects.

I'll give you some help..
Jumpgate - Was good for it's time, but much like the X series, never got the budget to provide a true AAA like experience. Lacked immersion and the sense of immersion. Jumpgate Evolution had potential but it was cancelled.
Vendetta Online - Another game far from the quality of a AAA title.
Black Prophecy - Awesome visuals, but again nothing close to AAA quality.
Freelancer - Considered by most, the space sim that offered the best MP experience in a virtual universe. But it was not a MMO. Lots of MP mods were created for it and even today people are playing it. Curiously it was created by Chris Roberts.

People seems to forget that before the Star Citizen campaign....SPACE SIMS WERE DEAD. No one invested on AAA space sims and that resulted in some uninteresting games.

As for upcoming games such as No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous.
I have pledged for Elite Dangerous. I've been playing it since the first alpha was released. I love it. I can't wait for No Man's Sky as well. I hope these games turn out to be a success. But Elite Dangerous already offers a different experience to Star Citizen. I find Star Citizen combat better than Elite Dangerous for instance. I also prefer more fantastic looking environments, than accurate and realistic ones.
So all these games aim to offer a distinct flavor.

So please, do tell me what other AAA space sim provides realtime combat in a MMO like environment?
Can you name ONE successful space sim MMO? (Eve Online is a strategy MMO so that doesn't count).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen at $48 Million
17. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 03:52 Comet

- Feature creep.
- Alien languages do not cost 1 Million to create.
- More systems, ships and so on please

There is no feature creep because they haven't added anything substantial for ages. All new goals are eighter small stuff already planned or stuff that can improve the game without impacting the project development time. Alien languages is a good example.
Obviously Alien languages do not cost 1 Million to create.
That fits right on the principle of avoiding feature creep by promising big changes. This is crowd funding. Its not pre ordering a game or anything like that.
People are free to help or just wait for the game release.
They have no obligation. The game may suck. The game may fail to be released on schedule. The.game may not have all the promised features on release date.
So its up to each one to decide if it wants to pledge for this project or not.
With that said everything that has been shown and released to the public seems to indicate that the game may end up being one of the best space Sims ever created. And a groundbreaking MMO since few MMOs provide realtime combat at this level

So relax and wait. Enjoy the ride and take the chance to see how a game is developed. At least thats one promise their keeping.

News Comments > Star Citizen Monthly Report
10. Re: Star Citizen Monthly Report Jul 2, 2014, 13:05 Comet

Wildone wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 11:45:
They are in deep trouble. They said yes to way too many goofy requests and didn't focus on the core gameplay (Dogfighting) hence why it sucks balls. Now they have to make good on it all and the result is gonna be a weird awkward mish mash of game types and mechanics, none of which will gel together. Im predicting there will be a huge re-focusing once they figure out it cant be done in a human timeframe. Fan boys will cry and probably commit hari kiri.

Luke wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:20:
To all supporters : We need money ! Clown ' s

Here's the thing. The DFM is out. It's easy to tell where they are going with this game. It could fail or end up being great, I don't know.
But one way or the other, people can already have a taste of what to expect. There is a lot of work to do. The game may even be delayed. (pretty much all AAA games do).

So if their doing a bad job, why new people continue to join and pledge?
Just a bit more than a week ago they reached $47 Million and had 486.134 backers. Now they are close to $47.5 Million, just half from reaching $48 Million and have 491.640 backers. In little more than a week 5500 new pledges.

What's the logic?

News Comments > EA on "Unacceptable" BF4 Launch
26. Re: EA on Jun 20, 2014, 14:56 Comet

Niiicee EA.
Really nice.
To EA. I don't have a lot of bad things to say, other than companies that work in the entertainment sector need to understand that the way they relate with consumers needs to be vastly different than what is found in other "predator" sectors.
To put it simple. STOP THE CORPORATE ACT. Be honest and you'll get faithful consumers. CD Projekt Red is gaining consumers due to the way they conduct business with their consumers.
In the last couple of days the EA Origin service on Xbox One was down.
I don't blame EA alone. I pay for Xbox Live. Online play is behind the Xbox Live paywall so I expect uninterrupted online play as part of the service. So BOTH companies are to blame. One way or the other, fact still is, that neither company can provide 99.9% uptime in their paying service. And that is extremely unfortunate.

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
8. Re: It will come Jun 14, 2014, 14:32 Comet

They're not discussing. They'll release it for sure.
Same as other similar games that were later released on PC. The business decision is simple and works marvelously.
Release console version first. Later on release a game of the year edition on consoles and PC.
Because quite often the PC version ends up "better", people end up buying the game on the PC even though they already played it on consoles.

Some recent examples. GTA V, Last of Us.

I've been playing the Alpha and the game is a perfect fit for the PC.
Quite frankly, at time it feels more like a PC FPS ported to consoles than a console exclusive. Cursor to navigate menus and all.
Many will buy it on the PC. Console versions are locked to 30 FPS. I'm enjoying the game, but damn.. I miss 60FPS.
This game would be so much more enjoyable with mouse and keyboard.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals
40. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 13:58 Comet

InBlack wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:01:
Comet wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 08:38:
Stopping the stretch goals won't stop people from pledging. Obviously it makes little sense to stop accepting funds. They continue to attract more people simply because people are interested in a cinematic space Sim. Besides, the most important module of all, the dogfighting module is out so people can evaluate for themselves.
What I don't understand in some of the opinions expressed is why some think that they will fail simply because of the huge amount of money they have raised.
Why more money necessarily means failure?

Its not that more money = failure. Its the ridiculous strechgoals that seem to spell, BAD MISMANAGEMENT. You cant keep adding features to a project once production has started in earnest. Your programmers will hate you and you will end up behind schedule and with crappy software. You have heard of featurecreep I take it? Well this is it. And then some.

But they're not adding new features. There is no feature creep.
For instance the Arena Commander was promised at the $16 Million stretch goal. Honestly, Arena Commander is not a new feature. It's simply a way to test gameplay scenarios. Elite Dangerous is doing the same with the different combat scenarios demos.
Fact is, their just doing what anyone would do. Accept money for long term goals and company sustainability. They're aiming for a similar development system as Eve Online that has existed for more than 14 years.
Basically you do the core game and instead of doing a new Star Citizen in 5-8 years they simply build on top of the existing one.

In fact, everything they've been showing as stretch goals is minor stuff that was going to be in the game in the first place... Think about it. Unlocking star systems? The plan is to have 100 systems in the first place. Their just announcing systems that were already planned.
There are ambitious stretch goals. For instance the R&D team that will look into procedural generation. But this are long term goals that will only come a long time after the games release.
I'm not inventing anything. When the game reached $20 Million CIG stated this :
"there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game."

Also when they reached $39 Million they stated :
"Now it’s time to look a little further in the future!
Star Citizen isn’t just about the game we launch with...we want to build Star Citizen in a way that the experience will be fresh in five years, ten years and into the foreseeable future.
This stretch goal will allocate funding for Cloud Imperium to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen."

The game has long been funded. They'll probably reach the target functionality on time for an expected release sometime in 2016 (for Star Citizen). 2015 for Squadron 42. And I can assure you that not all features will be in it.
They will have the basic functionality that makes any MMO an MMO.
You know, guild system (organizations), player driven economy, events system and so on.
Take a good look at the stretch goals, then compare that with the typical MMO like Guild Wars 2 or Eve Online.
Any MMO is as complex as Star Citizen and usually take about 4-5 years to make. The game is in it's second year of development. So two more years to go. (2016 release date as expected)
By the way. The game will surely be delayed. (what big budget game doesn't get delayed?)

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2014, 05:45.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals
30. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 13, 2014, 08:38 Comet

Stopping the stretch goals won't stop people from pledging. Obviously it makes little sense to stop accepting funds. They continue to attract more people simply because people are interested in a cinematic space Sim. Besides, the most important module of all, the dogfighting module is out so people can evaluate for themselves.
What I don't understand in some of the opinions expressed is why some think that they will fail simply because of the huge amount of money they have raised.
Why more money necessarily means failure?

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock
30. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 19, 2014, 04:22 Comet

InBlack wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 06:04:
Tom wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 16:57:

I thought Elite: Dangerous was primarily a single-player game with traditional multiplayer? Am I wrong about this, have they gone down the MMO route? (Please say no, please say no, please say no)

It's primarily single player but they have a neat multiplayer system.
You can choose to play the game completely alone just like previous Elite games disconnected from the internet. choose to play alone In a shared universe. The advantage of the shared universe is that events will be generated based on the player community actions.
Or choose to play with other players in the shared universe.
They use a group system that allows players to tailor the multiplayer system to their likening. You can read the full details on this at the flowing URL
[url=]http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6300[/url]

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
88. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 17:22 Comet

No.its not a public release
.its a release for backers. Part of the promise that they would keep the backers in the loop and show the game development process. This type of demo would be shown to the press or publishers behind closed doors. This is pretty alpha. But they do realize some people will share your opinion. That's why they haven't released the dfm yet. There is a big difference between running a demo in a controlled environment like the logitech booth where they know each component of computer running the demo and running the demo in the huge number of different PC.configurations. But the fact still is.that this is.pre alpha.

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
55. Re: Addressing community concerns Apr 15, 2014, 13:06 Comet

I would like to address some of the concerns I usually see in posts like this.

I've been following this game since the beginning of the crowdfunding and right now there is so much information that people end up missing a lot of the posts and news developers have shared.

So first things first.
Many in hear state that CIG is taking advantage of the fans.
But fact is when they reached $20 Million they asked the community if they should keep the counter going or stop all funding. 87% said yes to continue with stretch goals.

Check the 20 million letter for yourselves.

In that same post Chris also addressed the feature creep concern. Indeed stuff like towels has been planned a long time ago. Most of the new systems are already part of the original plan.
Where is the money going then? Profit obviously but also for longer term goals or expensive middleware technology that can improve the game fidelity or diminish the time wasted.

One example. Full body capture + facial capture. Those who have followed the game funding progress know that initially they didn't had the budget to fund this tech. (most companies don't). So they would have to animate by hand. With this tech, they increase visual quality and gain precious time.
Another example is the new AI tech. Star Citizen will be one of the first games using a new AI middleware for Cryengine.

Another concern is people believing this is all hype. Well part of it definitely is hype, but the hype persists because they keep on showing new cool stuff.
Now I understand skepticism, and for instance the dogfighting module presentation didn't go smoothly, but you know what did go smoothly? The hands-on demo that the press and gamers played.

(i tried adding the press impression links but it didn't work)

Or a 20 minutes gameplay video from a fan. Seems like he liked the gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0RhHr4Jsk0
Overall people have had a positive take on the pre alpha demo.
So the thing is. CIG alone is not the reason of the hype. The reason of the hype is the positive reaction of the fans and the press to what is being shown.

Let me put it this way. If they wanted, they could do it like many other crowdfunding projects do and simply don't release any gameplay to the public up until the game release. So it's not like they're hiding any of their flaws.

Last concern a lot of people seem to have is that the game release will be delayed.
Tell me one ambitious AAA game that didn't get delayed. GTA V? Delayed. Watchdogs? Delayed. Some of the AC games? Delayed. Games that are just upgrades from previous iterations will obviously release on time. coff coff COD.
But if the game turns out to be a great space sim, who cares?
By the way. Star Citizen PU is still a long way from release.
We will first experience the Star Citizen Universe in Squadron 42. And the first episode will be released in the first months of 2015.
I wouldn't expect the full experience until 2016-2017.

Still I know many of you will remain skeptic and that is good because we should never blindly believe in a for profit company.
But as far as I'm concerned, they do seem to be doing everything they can to deliver a great product. They may or may not deliver on the promise but the effort is there.

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
46. Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 18:04 Comet

So... You read a list. Didn't even made a quick search for team members and companies working on the project.
Ok ... Let's see.
Ryan Chruch http://ryanchurch.com/resume/ - Avatar, Start Trek Into Darkness, Super 8 and so on.
http://www.oldzieymusic.com/ - Sin City, Kill Bill, Mexicana
Martin Galway - Audio manager behind Certain Affinity. Worked on Halo and COD games.
Mark Skelton - Sky Captain, World Of Warcraft, Starcraft
Chris Olivia - Machete, predator, Sin City.
Jason Spangler - Star Wars The Old Republic, Ultima Online
Pedro Camacho - Composing for The Witcher 3 and Star Citizen.
The CGBot - Assassin's Creed, Infamous
Crytek - Lead members of Crytek are part of Star Citizen team
Kythera - Company developing new AI Middleware for Cryengine.
Apex+Physx - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCmcUfGY2iM

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
33. Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 15:54 Comet

I read some of the posts and I don't understand the negativism towards Star Citizen or Chris Roberts.
There are reasons why Star Citizen continue to beat records and the biggest reason is that they continue to engage with the community, giving almost daily updates on their progress.

But there are also two main promises behind Star Citizen crowdfunding campaign that can be seen in the first Star Citizen video.
- Make a high end PC game
- Revive the space sim genre.

Anyone following the project or reading the many articles about it knows that their aiming for the high end PC.
As for reviving the space sim genre, that has already been accomplished since it's now clear that people are indeed interested in a big budget space sim.
Several space themed projects have caught the public attention because people are more aware of them. Much like the Oculus generated interest in VR.

I supported Star Citizen kickstarter campaign. I don't know if I'll enjoy the final game or not, but at least people are talking about space sims again.
And no, I wouldn't have backed any space sim game.
You just need to take a good look at the talent behind this game.
http://scwiki.org/index.php?title=Development:Development_Team

Teams behind some of the best games out there. Top talent from some of the best looking movies and so on. The game may not succeeded, but given the talent working on it, it has a higher chance of succeeding than other similar projects.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
54. Re: Very good chance it will surpass $20 Million Sep 7, 2013, 20:52 Comet

The late 2014 release is for the Star Citizen Alpha/Beta.
I think Squadron 42 may be finished by the end of 2014, but Star Citizen won't. As for going gold, only in 2015.
And I agree with you. Any delay will generate drama from any vocal community. But all drama ends if people are happy with the game when it gets released. And don't forget that the backers are already getting access to the game. So it's not like being in the dark as it usually happens when games get pushed. One way or the other they'll have more than enough funding to build the game.
The end result is what matters. Bioshock Infinite was planned for a October 2012 release and got pushed to May 2013. Did it matter? GTA V was supposed to have been released this past Spring and was pushed to September. Will it matter?
Even if delayed if Star Citizen is considered to be the best space sim of 2014 it won't really matter.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
51. Very good chance it will surpass $20 Million Sep 7, 2013, 19:52 Comet

Their reaching their goals because their not just promising. Their delivering. They've been keeping their promise and the Hangar is what people expected. Even when there is controversy Chris quickly addresses it. For instance, people complained that the Freelancer had very limited visibility and now they are looking at it. Everyday developers answer the community questions and take their feedback. Not one week passes by without news on what they're doing. Star Citizen is expected in mid-2015 but even if there is a delay and instead of mid 2015 it's Christmas 2015 backers will accept that since it is normal for such an ambitious games to get delayed. Still, the truth is we are all taking an inside look of how a game gets developed.
Just take a look at their Youtube channel for proof that they are dead serious about what their doing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
56. Solved Sep 1, 2013, 11:14 Comet

Some people will want to keep the drama going. I myself was disappointed with the cash shop at first, but they have indeed given a pretty long and detailed post covering all concerns. And quite frankly everything seams logic. They also ask the community what we would like them to do.
And as I write this the vast majority has voted that they accept the current situation and there is no need for any change.
By the way I voted for a 50% decrease on the prices in the store but I'm not the majority. And quite frankly this guys gave a quick answer to the discussion specially considering that this is a WEEKEND.
I donīt know what more can we ask for. They're doing a terrific job and are indeed listening to the players.
Star Citizen wonīt be pay to win just like Guild Wars 2 isnīt pay to win. Just ask the overwhelming majority of GW2 players.
By the way. One simple detail people seam to forget. Star Citizen will support player run servers much like what is possible to do with Freelancer.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
26. No subject Aug 21, 2013, 12:41 Comet

That's a good point too. In all honesty, I keep on coming to GW2 from time to time, precisely because it's an MMO that "acts" like one of those SP RPGs...You know that other Elder Scrolls called Skyrim. You can return whenever you want and you never get bored.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
25. Out of experience I think they made a bad move. Aug 21, 2013, 12:37 Comet

I can see how they can turn this around any time they want but this will hurt them and can lead to failure. I know that they can start with the subscription model and later on move to free to play. But in this market, this will hurt their sales.
In Guild Wars 2 I know at any time I can go back to the game. If I feel like playing it for a bit more I end up buying this or that in-game item. With subscriptions once I decide to cancel it, there is little to no chance that I'll return to the game.
Besides, If you're going to buy a MMO, it's not like you'll just check it out and quit. But if you have a subscription and after a couple of months or so of playing you want to rest for a bit, you may decide to cancel. That is not unusual.
Bottom line. F2P increases your community size and makes the old gamers return to check what's new. Subscriptions require that you can convince new players to join over the years. And that is harder, because as a game gets older, so does the appeal to new gamers.

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
34. Skyrim Feb 7, 2012, 16:57 Comet

Skyrim is so worth the money. Thanks for all the support Bethsoft.  

News Comments > Microsoft Dropping MS Points?
13. Re: Shadowbane Closing Jan 24, 2012, 14:57 Comet

Here is the thing. MS points allowed me to charge my child account with a fixed number of MS points. My child could waste those MS points on whatever he wanted. Now if he wants to buy a freaking DLC or anything like that I will have to do it.

This makes no sense. After all consoles are also TOYS. Thanks Microsoft for getting us used to a system and then turning it upside down.

Anyway. If people would rather input their CC information over and over again or not use the MS points system they could add that option.
I see no advantage on closing the MS points system.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Leaked?
41. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Leaked? Oct 30, 2011, 07:25 Comet

It is bad for gaming when this stuff happens. A game should never be available to pirates first. In MW3 they use steamworks so the game won't be playable up until the day of release when the rest of the files will be sent over to steam to unlock the game but still not good news.
In my opinion there are about the same number of ppl playing on PC than any top console. The problem is piracy. And the reason is simple. In console like XBox, if you want to play pirated games you need to mod chip your console. That alone takes a lot more work and risk than on the PC. Besides that, Microsoft keeps sending console updates to block the latest hacks. And finally if they find you are a pirate they will ban you from Xbox Live and you won't be able to play any game online.

What needs to happen is not moving away from PC gaming. It is a big market after all. What needs to happen is bring to the PC the same level of piracy control found on consoles.
They could use the graphics card for security for instance.

41 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo