Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joao

Real Name Joao   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Comet
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 12, 2007, 15:42
Total Comments 34 (Suspect)
User ID 40334

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock
30. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 19, 2014, 04:22 Comet

InBlack wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 06:04:
Tom wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 16:57:

I thought Elite: Dangerous was primarily a single-player game with traditional multiplayer? Am I wrong about this, have they gone down the MMO route? (Please say no, please say no, please say no)

It's primarily single player but they have a neat multiplayer system.
You can choose to play the game completely alone just like previous Elite games disconnected from the internet. choose to play alone In a shared universe. The advantage of the shared universe is that events will be generated based on the player community actions.
Or choose to play with other players in the shared universe.
They use a group system that allows players to tailor the multiplayer system to their likening. You can read the full details on this at the flowing URL
[url=]http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6300[/url]

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
88. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 17:22 Comet

No.its not a public release
.its a release for backers. Part of the promise that they would keep the backers in the loop and show the game development process. This type of demo would be shown to the press or publishers behind closed doors. This is pretty alpha. But they do realize some people will share your opinion. That's why they haven't released the dfm yet. There is a big difference between running a demo in a controlled environment like the logitech booth where they know each component of computer running the demo and running the demo in the huge number of different PC.configurations. But the fact still is.that this is.pre alpha.

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
55. Re: Addressing community concerns Apr 15, 2014, 13:06 Comet

I would like to address some of the concerns I usually see in posts like this.

I've been following this game since the beginning of the crowdfunding and right now there is so much information that people end up missing a lot of the posts and news developers have shared.

So first things first.
Many in hear state that CIG is taking advantage of the fans.
But fact is when they reached $20 Million they asked the community if they should keep the counter going or stop all funding. 87% said yes to continue with stretch goals.

Check the 20 million letter for yourselves.

In that same post Chris also addressed the feature creep concern. Indeed stuff like towels has been planned a long time ago. Most of the new systems are already part of the original plan.
Where is the money going then? Profit obviously but also for longer term goals or expensive middleware technology that can improve the game fidelity or diminish the time wasted.

One example. Full body capture + facial capture. Those who have followed the game funding progress know that initially they didn't had the budget to fund this tech. (most companies don't). So they would have to animate by hand. With this tech, they increase visual quality and gain precious time.
Another example is the new AI tech. Star Citizen will be one of the first games using a new AI middleware for Cryengine.

Another concern is people believing this is all hype. Well part of it definitely is hype, but the hype persists because they keep on showing new cool stuff.
Now I understand skepticism, and for instance the dogfighting module presentation didn't go smoothly, but you know what did go smoothly? The hands-on demo that the press and gamers played.

(i tried adding the press impression links but it didn't work)

Or a 20 minutes gameplay video from a fan. Seems like he liked the gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0RhHr4Jsk0
Overall people have had a positive take on the pre alpha demo.
So the thing is. CIG alone is not the reason of the hype. The reason of the hype is the positive reaction of the fans and the press to what is being shown.

Let me put it this way. If they wanted, they could do it like many other crowdfunding projects do and simply don't release any gameplay to the public up until the game release. So it's not like they're hiding any of their flaws.

Last concern a lot of people seem to have is that the game release will be delayed.
Tell me one ambitious AAA game that didn't get delayed. GTA V? Delayed. Watchdogs? Delayed. Some of the AC games? Delayed. Games that are just upgrades from previous iterations will obviously release on time. coff coff COD.
But if the game turns out to be a great space sim, who cares?
By the way. Star Citizen PU is still a long way from release.
We will first experience the Star Citizen Universe in Squadron 42. And the first episode will be released in the first months of 2015.
I wouldn't expect the full experience until 2016-2017.

Still I know many of you will remain skeptic and that is good because we should never blindly believe in a for profit company.
But as far as I'm concerned, they do seem to be doing everything they can to deliver a great product. They may or may not deliver on the promise but the effort is there.

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
46. Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 18:04 Comet

So... You read a list. Didn't even made a quick search for team members and companies working on the project.
Ok ... Let's see.
Ryan Chruch http://ryanchurch.com/resume/ - Avatar, Start Trek Into Darkness, Super 8 and so on.
http://www.oldzieymusic.com/ - Sin City, Kill Bill, Mexicana
Martin Galway - Audio manager behind Certain Affinity. Worked on Halo and COD games.
Mark Skelton - Sky Captain, World Of Warcraft, Starcraft
Chris Olivia - Machete, predator, Sin City.
Jason Spangler - Star Wars The Old Republic, Ultima Online
Pedro Camacho - Composing for The Witcher 3 and Star Citizen.
The CGBot - Assassin's Creed, Infamous
Crytek - Lead members of Crytek are part of Star Citizen team
Kythera - Company developing new AI Middleware for Cryengine.
Apex+Physx - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCmcUfGY2iM

News Comments > Roberts: We Won't Sell Star Citizen
33. Star Citizen Apr 1, 2014, 15:54 Comet

I read some of the posts and I don't understand the negativism towards Star Citizen or Chris Roberts.
There are reasons why Star Citizen continue to beat records and the biggest reason is that they continue to engage with the community, giving almost daily updates on their progress.

But there are also two main promises behind Star Citizen crowdfunding campaign that can be seen in the first Star Citizen video.
- Make a high end PC game
- Revive the space sim genre.

Anyone following the project or reading the many articles about it knows that their aiming for the high end PC.
As for reviving the space sim genre, that has already been accomplished since it's now clear that people are indeed interested in a big budget space sim.
Several space themed projects have caught the public attention because people are more aware of them. Much like the Oculus generated interest in VR.

I supported Star Citizen kickstarter campaign. I don't know if I'll enjoy the final game or not, but at least people are talking about space sims again.
And no, I wouldn't have backed any space sim game.
You just need to take a good look at the talent behind this game.
http://scwiki.org/index.php?title=Development:Development_Team

Teams behind some of the best games out there. Top talent from some of the best looking movies and so on. The game may not succeeded, but given the talent working on it, it has a higher chance of succeeding than other similar projects.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
54. Re: Very good chance it will surpass $20 Million Sep 7, 2013, 20:52 Comet

The late 2014 release is for the Star Citizen Alpha/Beta.
I think Squadron 42 may be finished by the end of 2014, but Star Citizen won't. As for going gold, only in 2015.
And I agree with you. Any delay will generate drama from any vocal community. But all drama ends if people are happy with the game when it gets released. And don't forget that the backers are already getting access to the game. So it's not like being in the dark as it usually happens when games get pushed. One way or the other they'll have more than enough funding to build the game.
The end result is what matters. Bioshock Infinite was planned for a October 2012 release and got pushed to May 2013. Did it matter? GTA V was supposed to have been released this past Spring and was pushed to September. Will it matter?
Even if delayed if Star Citizen is considered to be the best space sim of 2014 it won't really matter.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
51. Very good chance it will surpass $20 Million Sep 7, 2013, 19:52 Comet

Their reaching their goals because their not just promising. Their delivering. They've been keeping their promise and the Hangar is what people expected. Even when there is controversy Chris quickly addresses it. For instance, people complained that the Freelancer had very limited visibility and now they are looking at it. Everyday developers answer the community questions and take their feedback. Not one week passes by without news on what they're doing. Star Citizen is expected in mid-2015 but even if there is a delay and instead of mid 2015 it's Christmas 2015 backers will accept that since it is normal for such an ambitious games to get delayed. Still, the truth is we are all taking an inside look of how a game gets developed.
Just take a look at their Youtube channel for proof that they are dead serious about what their doing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
56. Solved Sep 1, 2013, 11:14 Comet

Some people will want to keep the drama going. I myself was disappointed with the cash shop at first, but they have indeed given a pretty long and detailed post covering all concerns. And quite frankly everything seams logic. They also ask the community what we would like them to do.
And as I write this the vast majority has voted that they accept the current situation and there is no need for any change.
By the way I voted for a 50% decrease on the prices in the store but I'm not the majority. And quite frankly this guys gave a quick answer to the discussion specially considering that this is a WEEKEND.
I donīt know what more can we ask for. They're doing a terrific job and are indeed listening to the players.
Star Citizen wonīt be pay to win just like Guild Wars 2 isnīt pay to win. Just ask the overwhelming majority of GW2 players.
By the way. One simple detail people seam to forget. Star Citizen will support player run servers much like what is possible to do with Freelancer.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
26. No subject Aug 21, 2013, 12:41 Comet

That's a good point too. In all honesty, I keep on coming to GW2 from time to time, precisely because it's an MMO that "acts" like one of those SP RPGs...You know that other Elder Scrolls called Skyrim. You can return whenever you want and you never get bored.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
25. Out of experience I think they made a bad move. Aug 21, 2013, 12:37 Comet

I can see how they can turn this around any time they want but this will hurt them and can lead to failure. I know that they can start with the subscription model and later on move to free to play. But in this market, this will hurt their sales.
In Guild Wars 2 I know at any time I can go back to the game. If I feel like playing it for a bit more I end up buying this or that in-game item. With subscriptions once I decide to cancel it, there is little to no chance that I'll return to the game.
Besides, If you're going to buy a MMO, it's not like you'll just check it out and quit. But if you have a subscription and after a couple of months or so of playing you want to rest for a bit, you may decide to cancel. That is not unusual.
Bottom line. F2P increases your community size and makes the old gamers return to check what's new. Subscriptions require that you can convince new players to join over the years. And that is harder, because as a game gets older, so does the appeal to new gamers.

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
34. Skyrim Feb 7, 2012, 16:57 Comet

Skyrim is so worth the money. Thanks for all the support Bethsoft.  

News Comments > Microsoft Dropping MS Points?
13. Re: Shadowbane Closing Jan 24, 2012, 14:57 Comet

Here is the thing. MS points allowed me to charge my child account with a fixed number of MS points. My child could waste those MS points on whatever he wanted. Now if he wants to buy a freaking DLC or anything like that I will have to do it.

This makes no sense. After all consoles are also TOYS. Thanks Microsoft for getting us used to a system and then turning it upside down.

Anyway. If people would rather input their CC information over and over again or not use the MS points system they could add that option.
I see no advantage on closing the MS points system.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Leaked?
41. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Leaked? Oct 30, 2011, 07:25 Comet

It is bad for gaming when this stuff happens. A game should never be available to pirates first. In MW3 they use steamworks so the game won't be playable up until the day of release when the rest of the files will be sent over to steam to unlock the game but still not good news.
In my opinion there are about the same number of ppl playing on PC than any top console. The problem is piracy. And the reason is simple. In console like XBox, if you want to play pirated games you need to mod chip your console. That alone takes a lot more work and risk than on the PC. Besides that, Microsoft keeps sending console updates to block the latest hacks. And finally if they find you are a pirate they will ban you from Xbox Live and you won't be able to play any game online.

What needs to happen is not moving away from PC gaming. It is a big market after all. What needs to happen is bring to the PC the same level of piracy control found on consoles.
They could use the graphics card for security for instance.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer
25. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 08:19 Comet

I don't want to sound like a fan boy but truth is a big part of the reason why I'm willing to risk on this guys is because it has been quite a long time since I've seen a big developer house making sure they're delivering high value content to their consumers. And the first Witcher was truly a remarkable game. I really hope they can surpass their own expectations on the number of sales they make. We still don't have the game at hands but from what I've been reading the gaming press has been very surprised with the preview and I can't remember the last time I've seen a developer team so pumped up for the game their about to release. But above all I've never seen a developer house giving so much effort to have a game that people truly don't want to pirate. They're trying not to overcharge people based on territories. They have a DRM free version of the game if people really want it. They're making a worldwide release instead of a regional based release. For a default market price this days you get a game full of bonus content that is usually only available on premium editions. They've tried their best showcasing all aspects of the game so people really know what their getting into. Unlike others they've decided to use DLC as a motif for you to actually want to buy the game and not as a way to rip off some more bucks. They made a game that will for sure come to consoles somewhere in the future but so far strives to take advantage of this generation of computers. A true investment in PC gaming.
For those that love RPGs but are in doubt about getting this game I invite you to see the CDP Conference presentation of this year.

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
33. Steam Works Nov 11, 2010, 12:20 Comet

Look. The "problem" with Steam is that ... IT WORKS.
Simply put its a simple system that brings simplicity to consumers.
On the Xbox and PS3 Microsoft and Sony control the digital distribution too. No one is making a case against them because they have their own system in place. In fact Microsoft will probably try to do the same on the PC too. It would make a lot more sense for all of this businesses to be worried with what Microsoft has planned for their Games for Windows Live system then with Steam.

Fact is if big gaming stores want to have a chance in the future, they have one solution and one solution only.

One online store for multiple retailers. Perhaps games for windows could be the solution if Microsoft accepts it.

News Comments > Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year
23. Dunno Nov 6, 2010, 12:49 Comet

Companies can apply whatever business model they wish into a game. If that works or not, that's another thing. A subscription based COD could work. But what would they give in return for my monthly based support?
I mean. If they want to create a new game based on COD but with MMO type of dynamics perhaps they could convince people to pay a monthly fee. If on the other way they asked people to pay a subscription for a game they just wasted $60 and is almost exactly the same as the last one, where the content is always the same I don't know if that would work.

I love games, but mentally I would find little to no justification to pay a subscription for a game that never changes.

News Comments > Activision Profits Double
3. No subject May 6, 2010, 19:27 Comet

The result of Activision actions will only be felt later. They may get good results now, but games take time to develop and We must not forget that MW came out of Infinity Ward minds. This kind of talent isn't easy to find. Nothing lasts forever, and the question is later this year or the next, when the competition heats up will Activision remain a top contender or will people move to other FPS games? If I were an Activision executive I would be very worried with what EA has in store with their Medal Of Honor franchise.

News Comments > Infinity Ward Exodus Continues
4. Re: Shadowbane Closing Apr 15, 2010, 10:25 Comet

STRYKER555 wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 09:39:
And the drama continues.... I love it. Suffice it to say CoD MW2 although undeniably a commercial success has become a problem behind the scenes. These departures are sweet revenge and bad karma to Infinity Ward for selling us PC gamers out to that piece of shit Bobby Kotick.

Blame Activision for that. Developer houses are most of the time prisioners of the publisher wishes. And in many cases that means giving you less for more.

These departures are a clear sign. What seams more probable? Companies taking advantage of employees or the other way around?
Activision tried to take complete control of IW COD and used their huge legal arm to find a way to cut the previous contract.
They succeded. IW is out of the way. This resignations are IW employees way of expressing their discontent.

News Comments > MS Demos Cross-Platform Gaming
3. No subject Mar 7, 2010, 21:10 Comet

Yes thats one of the reasons but its much more than that.
What their doing is running the exact same "game" on different platforms. It is not a port where one version is incompatible with the other. It is the exact same game running on multiple platforms. This is great for the casual gamer market. You could be playing Geometry Wars, Worms and other such games on your phone and then continue playing it at home in your Xbox 360 or PC.

Imagine playing Solitaire at home and then continuing playing the same session of Solitaire while you're going to work. It makes a lot of sense.

News Comments > MS Demos Cross-Platform Gaming
1. No subject Mar 7, 2010, 16:18 Comet

"I told you so". I think lots of people already knew where Microsoft was going. Cross platform games will be a big thing in the future as many small xbox live arcade and MSN games can be run in the new gen of mobile phones. I think Microsoft has a lot to gain with this thread and it is yet another advantage they have. Windows Phone 7 in particular is looking pretty promising.  

34 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo