Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for BrutalDeluxe

Real Name BrutalDeluxe   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 8, 2007, 17:47
Total Comments 72 (Suspect)
User ID 40051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft's Anti-Piracy Plans
2. Re: Ubisoft's Anti-Piracy Plans Jul 28, 2009, 09:53 BrutalDeluxe

.... it could have something to do with games already costing a fortune and soon to be 55 quids...

I remember 'back in the days' publishers were saying the cost of games was due to high number of floppies needed (Wing Commander anyone?) and when the CD came out the price just went up, and up, and up, and up...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Lots of Jumpgate Beta Testers
5. No subject Jul 22, 2009, 02:09 BrutalDeluxe

I was on the alpha- it's marketed as 'elite as an MMO' but in fact it's 'quake in space'. Or more accurately, 'descent with some MMO aspect'. Disappointing.  

News Comments > Elite Retrospective
3. Has been May 23, 2009, 17:05 BrutalDeluxe

Elite 4 is going to the way of DNF.
It's so frustrating to see Braben has been sitting on this wonderful IP for a decade and nothing came out of it - meanwhile space sims have been dying out.

Elite-like MMOs, there are quite a few in development, but having been on the beta for some I can say they are all mostly going 'arcade', and not for the feel of an actual sim.

Strongly recommend Evochron Legends though if you're into this:
http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/evochronlegends/index.htm

GREAT game.

News Comments > Evochron Legends Details & Screenshots
4. this is what Elite 4 was supposed to be Apr 16, 2009, 17:54 BrutalDeluxe

This is awesome. I can't believe how good the game is, by far the best space sim currently out there. Go and buy this game, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Spore
31. THE disapointment of 08 Sep 5, 2008, 10:01 BrutalDeluxe

Mind-shattering disappointment! I'm a 'harcore' game and my wife is a 'casual' gamer - we both hated the game. My wife in particular, who (despite being their target market) didn't find it interesting one bit.

The game is a 8h yawner - the same 4 actions over and over and over and over again. Only the first phase, top down 'flow' clone is vaguely fun - but you can pick shareware from bigfish games or popcap that 'do' this genre a lot better.

Incredible disappointment here for sure.

News Comments > X: Terran Conflict Announced
67. No subject Feb 5, 2008, 05:13 BrutalDeluxe

_britney_ Leave Dereck ALONE!!! _/britney_

News Comments > X: Terran Conflict Announced
28. Bound to disapoint Feb 4, 2008, 13:28 BrutalDeluxe

Gosh - why can't they just make Elite but with today's technology and graphics. Why is it always a 'twist' on the concept that just ends up being disapointing, like the 'organic ship' concept or the 'you can only use 4 different ships' concept or the 'wing commander redux' concept.

I WANT ELITE 2008! I want large battleships with turets I can control, or small fighters that buzz around. I don't want a storyline mode, or some BS backstory. GIVE US ELITE! No wonder the space genre is dying.

News Comments > etc.
1. 600K job Jan 21, 2008, 12:37 BrutalDeluxe

Since the SCi previous CEO was on 600K GBP a year, that 'industry guru' certainly landed a nice job!

News Comments > etc
1. Peggle! Dec 14, 2007, 05:26 BrutalDeluxe

Peggle is so addictive it will soon be declared illegal in most states. I still can't believe how many times I come back to it considering how cheap it is. The wife loves it, too. Finally I found a game that we can both enjoy.

News Comments > Serious EVE Online WinXP Issue
9. No subject Dec 6, 2007, 10:35 BrutalDeluxe

My oh my. That's quite incredible. For joe average a missing boot.ini == computer is dead, return it to PCworld. Very bad press that.

News Comments > GameSpot Follow-up
3. No subject Nov 30, 2007, 21:24 BrutalDeluxe

An update on joystick mentions that basically gamespot isn't denying the fact that eidos put pressure on them. They also pulled the video review. I bet you that next we'll see K&L score change by magic! Amazing.

Gamespot and eidos were quick to disable their forums and comments. Amazing crapstorm coming their way.

I pulled my GS subscription an hour ago.

News Comments > GameSpot Editor Fired Over Review?
104. No subject Nov 30, 2007, 21:08 BrutalDeluxe

1up.com gave 10/10 to the orange box.
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3163694

"DISCLOSURE NOTE:
The requisite playtime for our reviews of Half-Life 2: Episode Two and Portal took place at Valve Software's Seattle, WA-based headquarters over a period of three consecutive days. Valve representatives sequestered our reviewer in an office, obligingly honoring requests for no disturbances, as he played both games -- in their entirety -- on a typical PC, custom-built to our very specific requests."

Play testing is done on hardware provided by the publisher, in the publisher's office, with a publisher who probably stops at nothing to please the reviewer (and it's only normal - I'd do the same, trying to be the best host possible, etc.).

The issue here is not the publishers, who just take advantage of the greedy slimeballs that pass as journalists nowadays, but the hacks themselves, who'd sell their own mothers for a free pizza or some lame freebie. (freebies are getting less lame though, it used to be free usb keys now it's free ipods).

I work in this field, trust me, the number of times I've been approached by 'journalists' with emails along the lines of 'hey, i'm about to give you a shit review, but in exchange of this and that, I might change my mind' - it's incredible. Rotten, rotten, rotten.

News Comments > Harvey Smith "Resigns"
8. No subject Nov 30, 2007, 17:55 BrutalDeluxe

overon's right on - the guy was probably bitter about how the development went, felt strongly about it, was about to leave or didn't care to get fired, so he went public with his opinion.

News Comments > GameSpot Editor Fired Over Review?
29. drama! Nov 30, 2007, 12:37 BrutalDeluxe

Two possibilities really and we'll probably never know:
#1- he was fired for giving a bad review because gamespot is in bed with some game publishers
#2- he was fired for other reasons, and held a grudge against gamespot so he spread juicy rumor #1

News Comments > BlackSite: Area 51 Postmortem
23. No subject Nov 29, 2007, 15:43 BrutalDeluxe

That's quite an incredible statement in light that the game is barely on the shelves as we speak, a statement that could very well be damaging to sales. I don't think this guy is going to have a AAA title to manage any time soon.

News Comments > EVE Online Expansion Next Week
24. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 15:04 BrutalDeluxe

Looks interesting - thanks for the link. I'm a bit jealous though I always wanted to find the time to write something like this

News Comments > EVE Online Expansion Next Week
21. No subject Nov 29, 2007, 09:52 BrutalDeluxe

A lot of people going wax lyrical about EVE in this thread, but I'd like to chime in with a slightly different opinion:

I tried EVE 3 times. First time was 3 years ago. Each time I start off feeling elated about all the promises of cooperative gameplay, massive alliances wars, a real player-generated economy, "elite MMO-style", etc, etc. Everyone gets really excited for example when they hear about players holding 'jobs' being hired as guards or transports by corporations etc.

Then you actually play the game and you experience none of it. I'm not saying it doesn't exist or that people are lying, but I think a lot of the hype simply isn't warranted.

Take for example the concept of 'serveless' environment. A big deal is made out of this, EVE being the only game with ALL the players on the same server, effectively transforming it in a parallel universe, etc etc. The truth is very different. Each dot on the map you have been shown is a system. You enter and leave systems using gates. Each system is actually a server. Each server can hold two to three hundred players before becoming miserably slow. So no, you never have 30K users on one server. You have maybe 20-50 players on average in busy sectors, half of them on autopilot, the other half AFK mining.

Second, space is very empty by definition. So all activity takes place around gates and stations (planet can't be visited). You end up staring at two things most of the time: the 'warp' animation and the 'docking' screen. It take forever to go from one place to the other. I had play sessions of 3 hours where all I did was read a book while the autopilot was on. It's fun the first time, but very quickly becomes incredibly tedious. Worse, because you're going through gate from one system to another, people who play 'pirate-types' simply camp the busy gates. Forget about that exciting chase around an asteroid field or your frighter fighting off a squadron of small fighters. Life and death in this game is staring at a loading screen one second, and a 'respawn' screen the next. It goes so fast, here goes nothing.

And third, and probably most importantly, the game simply doesn't deliver in the 'alternate life' department despite being so incredibly tedious at times. You can RP if you want, but it's going to be all in your head, and never translate in the game world. I thought I'd be able to smuggle drugs from one distant system to another, or flying around some mysterious artifact lost somewhere in deep space. You get none of that. The game mission system is absolutely incredibly repetitive, it's almost offensive. You end up doing the same thing over and over and over and over again, with the HP of the spawned enemy increasing slightly each time.

So people will tell you if you are bored it's because you're not playing the way it 'was meant to be played'. That you must join a corp, that that's were the fun is. I didn't find it that way at all. Well i guess if you get off on having 14 years old boss you around it's brilliant, but I'll pass on that one, thanks (I already have an 11yo bossing me around at home anyway LOL).

I might give eve one last try when the graphical update is finalized, but I doubt the game has changed much since last time I tried it.

News Comments > Warmonger Free Game Released
7. No subject Nov 29, 2007, 06:36 BrutalDeluxe

I thought I'd give this a shot. 2GB ballistic tracer ram, q6600, 8800GT.

At the highest settings it's a slideshow that looks rather poor. At the lowest settings it's a slideshow that looks like a game from 1993.

I do not have a PPU, so it's no surprise. But I'm concerned that the game looks rubbish even at the highest settings (regardless of framerate). Crysis is a slideshow on very high, but at least it looks good.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 16:17 BrutalDeluxe

"Humiliation Time", dont' think so. "With the configuration file hack mentioned earlier, the Very High options are available to you even in DX9, and looks nearly the same as DX10."

NEARLY.
So you gain a little better image quality, you lose a bit more performance. My comment still stands.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. No subject Nov 26, 2007, 07:03 BrutalDeluxe

Ah. I have a confession to make: I used to be very much anti-Mac. In fact I don't think you could find more anti-mac than me - I even forced my employees to use PCs when they wanted to use a Mac. I encouraged family members to sell theirs. And those ads - don't even get me started. They made me throw things at my TV. I thought simply the Mac as a sub-par OS sold on overpriced hardware.

Until one day the Macbook 13' came out and my best friend, who also happens to be a Unix demi-God, bought one and became wax lyrical about it. I couldn't believe it, so I did something crazy - on a business trip to the US I bought one, because they were dirt cheap, and came with money back guarantee. I thought 'hey I'm here for 2 weeks, might as well buy myself a toy to keep me busy'.

Well I never used the money back guarantee, and sold my windows laptop the day I was back in Old Blighty. It's now my main OS, running with Parallels for the development work only when absolutely necessary.

Sure I keep a modded-out PC for gaming, and tinkering with hardware. But I don't think you'll ever see me work on a PC again. Seriously, it's that good. And once you're 'converted' those ads are actually quite funny

72 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo