Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Milo Bloom

Real Name Milo Bloom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname rist3903
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I'm just this guy, you know?
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 13, 2000, 02:02
Total Comments 918 (Graduate)
User ID 3937

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Gabe Newell and Chet Faliszek on Left 4 Dead
11. Re: Gabe Newell and Chet Faliszek on Left 4 Dead Nov 22, 2008, 13:03 rist3903

All Valve has done here is the equivalent of putting a heartrate monitor on a guy watching a movie. Sure, that tells you when the subject is excited and when calm, but what that tells you about how you should plot your movie is another question entirely.

Well, no of course it doesn't tell you how you should plot your movie, but it is hard data that can be used by people who have experience in storytelling to create scenarios that have palpable tension.

I have encountered a few of these during the game and was on the edge of my seat. Once a tank attacked my friends and I and had killed 3 people and was gunning for our last. The 3 of us cheered him on as he limped across the bridge towards safety, the tank on his tail. A smoker latched onto him from above the safe room caboose but he managed to kill it before it dragged him and inched inside. It was definitely a moment that will stay with me for a long time.

It is not a perfect system and there is room for improvement. Fortunately it was made by Valve. These guys know a thing or two about honing games, both pre and post release.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2008, 20:13.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead
36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 22, 2008, 11:55 rist3903

Thanks. Momentarily spaced on it.

I remember making a detonate dispenser key for team fortress classic. You would get a message that an enemy was using it, hit that and they died. Good times.

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 22, 2008, 11:40 rist3903

I tried to configure a suicide key but my config.cfg reverts back to what it is on steamcloud apparently. How did you add your kill key?  

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Left 4 Dead Nov 21, 2008, 19:02 rist3903

I've been on a couple servers where my friends and I want to play on Advanced, but the server's set to Expert. So we do a vote and change to Advanced. But every map change, it switches back to Expert.

I have encountered this! Very annoying, my friends and I are going along thinking everything is going a well and then realize that it is only on advanced.

I am completely digging the random things people say every once in a while. I would repeat the memorable one for me, but don't want to spoil anyone's experience.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2008, 04:48 rist3903

Happy birthday, sir.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 4U
86. Re: Left 4 Dead 4U Nov 18, 2008, 20:38 rist3903

I spawned as a tank in versus on the top of the hospital and whalloped the last guy clean off the roof. Home run!

I am a little annoyed that the other people talking in teamchat seem to be linked to the game sound overall. There does not seem to be a way to turn them up against the game sound if it is already at max input. This may be due to my onboard sound though. Anyone have the same problem, or even a solution?

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 4U
22. Re: Left 4 Dead 4U Nov 18, 2008, 07:18 rist3903

Versus mode is pretty awesome.

Co-op versus the computer is okay.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: 10th class rumormongering Nov 16, 2008, 23:25 rist3903

Oh man I miss the team fortress classic maps where the civilian was trying to get to the other side with just medics heavies and soldiers to guard him. The other team was composed of snipers and spawned in all these spots that weren't easily accessible to the other team. Incredibly fun. I really hope they put some of those maps in this version.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Do Z P Reviews Influence Videogame Sales Nov 16, 2008, 18:54 rist3903

I think he has a much more noticable effect when talking about older titles that a lot of people missed.

I purchased Psychonauts based on one of his rants about how people don't play good games such as that one and was very much entertained by it.

On a possibly very important but incredibly tangential side-note I went to the site that hosts said reviews to refresh my memory on what it was about the Psychonauts review that piqued my interest and my browser got all upset and told me this:

Potential clickjacking/UI Redressing attempt!

NoScript intercepted a mouse or keyboard interaction with a partially hidden element.

I am not linking the site in question as I don't want anyone potentially harmed by this if it is indeed malicious. They have been notified, and you have been warned.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2008, 23:07.

News Comments > Testament of Sin Renamed; Ships
2. Re: Eh? Nov 14, 2008, 23:27 rist3903

They probably didn't want people to think it is one of those incredible religous games that have been topping the sales charts lately.

Or, it is one of those preachy ilk and is trying to be a lot more subtle about it to stealth indoctrinate people.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Nov 8, 2008, 04:51 rist3903

It does feel a bit like Valve has foisted a beta product on their already paying customers.

I have high hopes for this game though, it is quite a lot of fun when it is working properly.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Early Access Today
6. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 6, 2008, 01:54 rist3903

I felt pretty irritated about the later release but then I take solace in the fact that the game will be a lot more polished on the pc than it is on the xbox. I am not talking out of the gate, but incrementally with patches to hone it.

Patches that are much fewer and farther between on Xbox. Patches that Microsoft wants you to pay for.

News Comments > Game Hostility Study Follow-ups
3. Re: Game Hostility Study Follow-ups Nov 4, 2008, 02:45 rist3903

These 'games make people who play them more hostile' studies make me so mad I want to strangle a moose!  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. gow2 midnight launch events Nov 2, 2008, 03:05 rist3903

Did people really enjoy Gears of War that much? I played it for an hour co-op on a friends console and it seemed like a bad game with good graphics.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
3. Re: Safety Dance Oct 27, 2008, 03:43 rist3903

The only way you could make better parents is to educate the next crop of children about raising children effectively.

Once people are the way they are you can either spend boatloads trying to address current issues or you can spent a much smaller amount working on future generations.

News Comments > Prey for Linux Demo
5. Re: Prey for Linux Demo Oct 24, 2008, 04:48 rist3903

Pray for Bobo.  

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue
72. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 24, 2008, 02:39 rist3903

You make a compelling argument.  

68. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 21:44 rist3903

And, btw, multiplayer isn't fair anyway. Some people have better pings, faster computers, better sound, etc etc..

All of those things you mentioned cannot be controlled by developers, but field of view and aspect ratio can.

If you are a developer and design into your game a way for some of the players to have a distinct advantage over others in a player versus player setting, the people who do not benefit from this will be more likely to migrate to other games. It is not good business.

It is similar to having a lax stand on cheating.

65. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 20:44 rist3903

If you give widescreen users a larger fov it gives them a tangible benefit in multiplayer, particularly in games where flanking an enemy is important.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Wii Guitars Recalled Oct 23, 2008, 14:42 rist3903

Seems like a good first step to make sure your product doesn't leak potassium hydroxide onto your customers or give them lead poisoning might be to have them made anywhere other than china.

Just a thought.

918 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo