Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1074 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Far Cry 2 ATI Hotfix
3. Ugh, wanted to play this so bad... Oct 20, 2008, 13:58 JohnBirshire

But I absolutely refuse to buy it with it's "copy protection" scheme. I like to sell my games on Ebay after I'm done playing them, and the "online activation" causes major problems to the second buyer.

Well, at least Fallout 3 comes out a week later.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dexter on PCs
13. WTF? Oct 19, 2008, 04:04 JohnBirshire

TV?! When you could be concentrating on your gaming?

Heretical posers, all of you! Sacrilegious bastards! Away with your blasphemy!

News Comments > Syndicate to Return?
14. One of my top 5 all time favorites... Oct 18, 2008, 03:06 JohnBirshire

Elder Scrolls: Arena *Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion sucked compared to the first one, and they were all great games*, Tie Fighter, Syndicate, Monkey Island, and Ultima 7 probably round out my top 5. *With games like Elite, Privateer, and Loom coming in close* Would love to see another Syndicate, although it's last sequel was crap.

P.S. Syndicate still goes down as having the worst game ending ever unfortunately.

News Comments > Pirates Of The Burning Sea Q&A
3. Re: POTBS Oct 17, 2008, 12:27 JohnBirshire

They should drop the MMO act and make a FPS called Pirates of Somalia with BFGs and grenades and rag doll physics and shit. Yeah, that would be badass.

Hahahahahaha! That is an excellent idea, would be fun to sail around the coast attacking cruise ships.

News Comments > Will Wright on Spore DRM
2. Spore... Oct 16, 2008, 23:32 JohnBirshire

Spore lost more money due to people not buying it because of DRM, than they did from people pirating it.

You'd think they would "get it" after awhile.

News Comments > Spore PC Patch, Mac Patch Workaround
3. Spore... Oct 16, 2008, 23:30 JohnBirshire

Fizzle.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 DRM Follow-up
30. Well, so much for Far Cry 2... Oct 15, 2008, 11:38 JohnBirshire

Glad I'm only .2% however.

*not an empty threat, was looking forward to Far Cry 2, and was going to buy it on release day...until I saw this bluesnews post. That's all it took to change my mind*

Does Fallout 3 or Red Alert 3 use it? Because those are the other two I planned on buying this month.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2 Movie, Medkits Return
9. For me it's about save/load... Oct 14, 2008, 23:15 JohnBirshire

In "regenerating" health games, I feel more immersed in the game, since I'm not simply just reloading the game "juse in case" all the time, aka "I took too much damage that fight, better reload and try again." With health regeneration, I only have to reload when I die, which keeps me on the edge more often. It also keeps me much more aware of my surroundings, etc.

Retreating from battle to regain your strength seems to make more logical sense than having your health magically replenished in the middle of a fight at the press of a button. Ironically, many people seem to believe the exact opposite however. Also, some people also talk about "strategy" in reference to knowing when/how to use your medkits effectively, but I think you can make the same "strategy" argument in reference to knowing when/how to retreat from battle and when/how to counterattack effectively.

In the end, I think it is kind of a wash. Just comes down to personal preference.

News Comments > Blizzard Refund Problem
10. I used to work in the banking industry.. Oct 14, 2008, 13:50 JohnBirshire

ALWAYS buy EVERYTHING with your credit card, period.

Don't use your debit card, and don't have payments automatically deducted from one of your bank accounts. Something as simple as your utility company double billing you one month can be a time consuming frustrating mess to have corrected. And if it is a major error that causes you to be overdrawn, so you are accumulating overdraft fees and your other creditors aren't being paid since there is no money in your account, therefore snowballing out of control...just avoid it altogether, it's only a matter of time before it backfires on you due to someone elses error.

Use the credit card, if you don't like a charge, call your credit card company, and say "I wish to cancel this purchase", usually they do it with no questions asked. By law, the only thing they can do is withhold $50, but the vast majority do not.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Movie
15. Corny... Oct 11, 2008, 21:44 JohnBirshire

and ridiculously cliched.

I almost fell asleep right at the beginning after the line "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer". Then it had to be followed up with "How do I know you aren't a *insert random word here*, how do I know I can trust you?" "I can get you anything you need, drugs, guns..." Oh, and don't forget "Corruption is like sand...it is everywhere". Oh, and "You don't find *insert random name here*, *insert random name here* finds you."

Yawnfest. I don't care how great the gameplay is if I have to suffer through that bullshit every few minutes.

News Comments > StarCraft II Trisected
10. Eh...what? Oct 10, 2008, 21:40 JohnBirshire

So...ugh I'm so confused.

If....

Ahh screw it.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2008, 03:34 JohnBirshire

You'd be better off buying its sequel, Weird Worlds:
http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2005/11/weird-worlds-return-to-infinite-space.html

I looked the game up on Wikipedia immediately after posting that message, and quickly came to the same conclusion. I'm going to get the sequel instead.

Oh, and you have by far the best review website, it is much appreciated. Refreshing to see honest reviews for many titles that go unnoticed by most of the more popular game destination websites.

News Comments > Molyneux on Syndicate and Populous
1. Syndicate... Oct 10, 2008, 00:32 JohnBirshire

Worst. Ending. Ever.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Aight, that's it... Oct 9, 2008, 15:05 JohnBirshire

I'm finally buying Strange Adventures in Infinite Space.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Movie
4. Warhammer 40k... Oct 9, 2008, 12:50 JohnBirshire

Has been awesome so far. After reading every Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Star Wars, Eberron, etc book, and 100s of freelance novels, I was running out of material. Started reading Warhammer 40k novels, and they are honestly among the best novels I've ever read. *currently halfway through the Horus Heresy*

I played Dawn of War, but wasn't very hardcore into it because I didn't understand the subject matter. Now that I have a newfound appreciation for it, I can't wait for Dawn of War II.

News Comments > Sierra Server Closures Planned
7. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2008, 14:38 JohnBirshire

Aliens Vs Predator 2 also has a decent size community still. Every once in awhile when I log on I still see a couple hundred people playing at any given time.

This game was unbelievable fun multiplayer, most fun I had since Duke Nukem 3D. Where will people play after the official servers are dropped?

News Comments > WAR Credits Follow-up
19. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2008, 20:29 JohnBirshire

I'm enjoying the hell out of War! The game and the quests - particularly as a greenskin - are a hoot!

Haha, yes, I'm playing a Gobbo and I love the quests. If I have to give Warhammer credit for anything, it is definately the quests. They aren't as "cookie cutter" generic as most MMO quests. For example there are quests like finding drunk passed out dwarves, putting them in barrels, and rolling them off cliffs. Quests such as shaving the beards off of captured humans, wearing them, and trying to sneak *unsuccessfully obviously, Greenskins are dumb* into enemy territory. Quests where you use Greenskin children as bait for enemies, hahah. I'm not sure how cool the other faction's quests are, but I'm definitely happy with the Greenskin ones so far.

Although, so far, I have to agree with the counter-argument...WoW is the better game. However, WoW has had 3 years of additions, Warhammer has not. All of those fun things you are doing in WoW...many of them were not in the game when it came out. Arenas, no. Armor sets, no. *didn't even have the Dungeon Sets, let alone Tier sets*. High level raids....not really. Unless you count Molten Core, which most people don't, if you went through that headache. Battlegrounds, no. So give Warhammer some slack, at release it is more fun in some people's opinions than WoW at launch, and also has more content than WoW had at release.

That being said, not to be off topic, credits. Give credit where credit is due. EA/Mythic/Whatever, didn't...and they have too much experience to make such a mistake. As many people stated, although the credits seem irrelevant to many of us, it can other people's lifeline.

News Comments > Carbine Studios Interview
2. Jess Lebow... Sep 22, 2008, 14:28 JohnBirshire

It is nice to see a Forgotten Realms author in the business of developing MMOs. I hear R.A. Salvatore is hard at work on an upcoming MMO project as well.

Hopefully this game gets better reception than Lebow's last project, Pirates of the Burning Sea, however. Although, Tabula Rasa didn't do too well as the latest science-fiction/fantasy MMO hybrid.

News Comments > Mythic's EA Comments Follow-up
4. Whoa whoa whoa whoa, hold on here... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 JohnBirshire

EA was responsible for UO?

What?!

Do any of these people have any idea whatsoever what they are talking about?

News Comments > Mythic's EA Comments Follow-up
6. You know what else is stupid? Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 JohnBirshire

Having your online game for sale in stores on Tuesday and Wednesday, being purchased by 100,000s of thousands of people at home frantically trying to log on and start playing, but can't because THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE SERVERS LIVE YET unless you pre-ordered or bought the collector's edition. *smacks head against brick wall*

They are pissing people off tremendously before they even log on for the first time.

First impression...fail.

1074 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo