Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1088 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Wrath of the Lich King Early at 7-Eleven
3. Re: Wrath of the Lich King Early at 7-Eleven Nov 12, 2008, 12:03 JohnBirshire

If I remember correctly, it is illegal to sell products of this nature early. *books, movies, games, etc*

I remember a friend who managed a video store bringing home new releases like a week before they could rent them out, allowing us to play games/watch movies before anyone else.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Meet Bill Roper
18. Bill Roper was the janitor... Nov 12, 2008, 09:50 JohnBirshire

Inflating his resume with lines like; "CEO, Grand Chancellor, Supreme Commander, Lord of the 7th Layer of the Abyss, and The Second Coming".

With only 1/3rd of employers on average even checking references, you can eventually find employment with schmuck crews like Cryptic.

WTF is Champions Online anyways?! That game is going to be extinct faster than Fury and Earth & Beyond.

News Comments > Richard Garriott Leaves NCsoft
7. Why would he still create games anyways? Nov 11, 2008, 21:40 JohnBirshire

1 guy in his garage is what Richard Garriot excelled at.

Nowadays it's 100 people spending 5 years.

I would still play games or have a slight hand in some random game's development, but I'd certainly not devote my life to it. *especially when you're flying around in space, live in a castle, etc*

Ultima 10 or bust!

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Public Demo
27. Can you play this 2 player Co-Op? Nov 11, 2008, 15:33 JohnBirshire

Everything I read says 4 player. Doesn't make sense, why would you make a game Co-Op and force 4 players? Can you play with just 2, or does it make the other 2 AI controlled, or what?  

News Comments > Japanese Fallout 3 Change
5. A post apocalyptic game... Nov 11, 2008, 09:33 JohnBirshire

And Bethesda feels the need to change "a" mission?

You're kidding right?!

Come on Bethesda, don't embarass yourselves.

News Comments > Gabe Newell on Game Careers
3. You don't need experience to work... Nov 10, 2008, 11:21 JohnBirshire

You don't need experience to work in the gaming industry, you just have to be a masochist. It is the only prerequisite. :-P  

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Dev: PC Piracy a "Huge Concern"
17. He did make a decent point... Nov 5, 2008, 18:01 JohnBirshire

Although I don't agree with much of what he said. For example, I did not buy Red Alert 3 ONLY because of it's anti-piracy extremes, even though I was a tremendous fan of the first Red Alert. I remember playing it on "Westwood Chat", or whatever their online system was called, for months after it came out back in the day. It is a huge dissapointment to me that I can't buy many new PC games because of their piracy fighting measures. Ironic, in a way. *maybe I'll buy an XBox 360*

As for a decent point I think he made, is his analogy regarding the music industry. After all, at least they aren't taking 9 year olds to court over game piracy at this time. It could be worse.

News Comments > No Western Hellgate Revival
9. Lifetime subscribers... Nov 4, 2008, 18:09 JohnBirshire

Subscribed for the lifetime of the game. Theoretically, they got exactly what they paid for.

News Comments > Street Fighter IV in February, Resident Evil 5 on PCs
8. Multiplayer games of this nature on PC? Nov 4, 2008, 16:46 JohnBirshire

Playing Street Fighter against others online from my PC actually sounds like a lot of fun. *like when we spent hours playing against each other in arcades*

However, how is the lag? I'd have to imagine any lag whatsoever, even like 50-100ms of it, would completely and utterly destroy a game of this nature during multiplayer. ie Throwing/Blocking multimove combos with a half second delay in between moves...ouch!

What about XBox Live? Is it have seemless multiplayer with fighting games, or do they lag slightly too?

News Comments > Belgium Outlaws Game Rentals
15. Re: Belgium Outlaws Game Rentals Nov 1, 2008, 00:21 JohnBirshire

I never understood people's desire to sell old games. It's not worth the effort and personally I like to keep games I buy, that's why I've been fine buying my games off Steam for a long while now.

What?! I've probably played 2,000 games in my life, 1,900 of them I never played again after finishing them. *for example, just finished Star Wars: Force Unleashed, absolutely no reason whatsoever to keep it, will never touch it again* I couldn't conceivably think of a reason to keep them all, unless I was a serious collector. I buy games for $50 when they are brand new, finish them in a couple days, then throw them on Ebay for $45. *if you sell them in the first week or two, they sell for almost full retail value* A few I keep, mainly the ones that are fun multiplayer, or if I consider it to be a classic. However, the vast majority I sell right away. 10 games at $5 each or 1 game at $50...not a hard decision to make.

I'm actually doing the gaming industry a huge favor too, because I'm buying 10 times more games than I normally would. And the people I'm selling them to on Ebay most commonly would not have bought them at a retail outlet anyways, so it isn't a negative sales contribution to the industry either.

As for renting, in 2008 alone I've probably bought 7-10 games that I rented first because I wasn't quite sure about them, but liked enough to end up buying. Also, video stores don't go down to Wal-Mart and buy their games, they pay substantially more for each copy of the games/movies they rent out. I remember 15 years ago or so when in High School I worked at Blockbuster, we were paying almost $100 per copy of each new movie release, when they were a fraction of that at retail. *although I couldn't tell you what they pay today* So it isn't like they are buying games at retail price, renting them out to 10 people who would have bought them if they couldn't rent them instead, therefore making the industry lose money. That simply isn't the case, whatsoever.

All in all, I'm sure the Belgium case will ultimately fail, in the same way that banning video games in Greece did.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Warning
8. Surprising... Oct 28, 2008, 14:31 JohnBirshire

Wasn't expecting this from a Fallout game, let alone a Bethesda game.

The first game of theirs I played was the original Elder Scrolls: Arena, and I'm sure I put more time into the game after I "finished" it than I even did beforehand.

Although, in regards to this warning, it WAS kind of a spoiler, since something apocalyptic *no pun intended* must happen at the end.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Gamespy gave it a 70%, Gamespot 86%.... Oct 22, 2008, 13:44 JohnBirshire

Far Cry 2 is "above average" according to quite a few recent reviews from major publications.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2
48. How does the online activation work? Oct 21, 2008, 17:40 JohnBirshire

If I buy the game, play through it, uninstall it, and sell it on Ebay...

Will the new owner have any problems?

News Comments > Far Cry 2 ATI Hotfix
11. Re: SecureROM? Oct 20, 2008, 19:27 JohnBirshire

I had to get a no DVD patch and disable the SecureROM's file.

That is what I'm going to try to do, if that patch is released quickly. Fallout 3 comes out a week later, I'd like to have a week to play through Far Cry 2 first. Kind of ironic that I am a legitimate buyer who won't be buying it due to it's copy protection scheme. *that doesn't even work against people who pirate it anyways* What a joke the whole SecureROM thing is.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 ATI Hotfix
3. Ugh, wanted to play this so bad... Oct 20, 2008, 13:58 JohnBirshire

But I absolutely refuse to buy it with it's "copy protection" scheme. I like to sell my games on Ebay after I'm done playing them, and the "online activation" causes major problems to the second buyer.

Well, at least Fallout 3 comes out a week later.

News Comments > Dexter on PCs
13. WTF? Oct 19, 2008, 04:04 JohnBirshire

TV?! When you could be concentrating on your gaming?

Heretical posers, all of you! Sacrilegious bastards! Away with your blasphemy!

News Comments > Syndicate to Return?
14. One of my top 5 all time favorites... Oct 18, 2008, 03:06 JohnBirshire

Elder Scrolls: Arena *Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion sucked compared to the first one, and they were all great games*, Tie Fighter, Syndicate, Monkey Island, and Ultima 7 probably round out my top 5. *With games like Elite, Privateer, and Loom coming in close* Would love to see another Syndicate, although it's last sequel was crap.

P.S. Syndicate still goes down as having the worst game ending ever unfortunately.

News Comments > Pirates Of The Burning Sea Q&A
3. Re: POTBS Oct 17, 2008, 12:27 JohnBirshire

They should drop the MMO act and make a FPS called Pirates of Somalia with BFGs and grenades and rag doll physics and shit. Yeah, that would be badass.

Hahahahahaha! That is an excellent idea, would be fun to sail around the coast attacking cruise ships.

News Comments > Will Wright on Spore DRM
2. Spore... Oct 16, 2008, 23:32 JohnBirshire

Spore lost more money due to people not buying it because of DRM, than they did from people pirating it.

You'd think they would "get it" after awhile.

News Comments > Spore PC Patch, Mac Patch Workaround
3. Spore... Oct 16, 2008, 23:30 JohnBirshire

Fizzle.

1088 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo