Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2008, 03:34 JohnBirshire

You'd be better off buying its sequel, Weird Worlds:
http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2005/11/weird-worlds-return-to-infinite-space.html

I looked the game up on Wikipedia immediately after posting that message, and quickly came to the same conclusion. I'm going to get the sequel instead.

Oh, and you have by far the best review website, it is much appreciated. Refreshing to see honest reviews for many titles that go unnoticed by most of the more popular game destination websites.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Molyneux on Syndicate and Populous
1. Syndicate... Oct 10, 2008, 00:32 JohnBirshire

Worst. Ending. Ever.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Aight, that's it... Oct 9, 2008, 15:05 JohnBirshire

I'm finally buying Strange Adventures in Infinite Space.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Movie
4. Warhammer 40k... Oct 9, 2008, 12:50 JohnBirshire

Has been awesome so far. After reading every Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Star Wars, Eberron, etc book, and 100s of freelance novels, I was running out of material. Started reading Warhammer 40k novels, and they are honestly among the best novels I've ever read. *currently halfway through the Horus Heresy*

I played Dawn of War, but wasn't very hardcore into it because I didn't understand the subject matter. Now that I have a newfound appreciation for it, I can't wait for Dawn of War II.

News Comments > Sierra Server Closures Planned
7. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2008, 14:38 JohnBirshire

Aliens Vs Predator 2 also has a decent size community still. Every once in awhile when I log on I still see a couple hundred people playing at any given time.

This game was unbelievable fun multiplayer, most fun I had since Duke Nukem 3D. Where will people play after the official servers are dropped?

News Comments > WAR Credits Follow-up
19. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2008, 20:29 JohnBirshire

I'm enjoying the hell out of War! The game and the quests - particularly as a greenskin - are a hoot!

Haha, yes, I'm playing a Gobbo and I love the quests. If I have to give Warhammer credit for anything, it is definately the quests. They aren't as "cookie cutter" generic as most MMO quests. For example there are quests like finding drunk passed out dwarves, putting them in barrels, and rolling them off cliffs. Quests such as shaving the beards off of captured humans, wearing them, and trying to sneak *unsuccessfully obviously, Greenskins are dumb* into enemy territory. Quests where you use Greenskin children as bait for enemies, hahah. I'm not sure how cool the other faction's quests are, but I'm definitely happy with the Greenskin ones so far.

Although, so far, I have to agree with the counter-argument...WoW is the better game. However, WoW has had 3 years of additions, Warhammer has not. All of those fun things you are doing in WoW...many of them were not in the game when it came out. Arenas, no. Armor sets, no. *didn't even have the Dungeon Sets, let alone Tier sets*. High level raids....not really. Unless you count Molten Core, which most people don't, if you went through that headache. Battlegrounds, no. So give Warhammer some slack, at release it is more fun in some people's opinions than WoW at launch, and also has more content than WoW had at release.

That being said, not to be off topic, credits. Give credit where credit is due. EA/Mythic/Whatever, didn't...and they have too much experience to make such a mistake. As many people stated, although the credits seem irrelevant to many of us, it can other people's lifeline.

News Comments > Carbine Studios Interview
2. Jess Lebow... Sep 22, 2008, 14:28 JohnBirshire

It is nice to see a Forgotten Realms author in the business of developing MMOs. I hear R.A. Salvatore is hard at work on an upcoming MMO project as well.

Hopefully this game gets better reception than Lebow's last project, Pirates of the Burning Sea, however. Although, Tabula Rasa didn't do too well as the latest science-fiction/fantasy MMO hybrid.

News Comments > Mythic's EA Comments Follow-up
4. Whoa whoa whoa whoa, hold on here... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 JohnBirshire

EA was responsible for UO?

What?!

Do any of these people have any idea whatsoever what they are talking about?

6. You know what else is stupid? Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 JohnBirshire

Having your online game for sale in stores on Tuesday and Wednesday, being purchased by 100,000s of thousands of people at home frantically trying to log on and start playing, but can't because THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE SERVERS LIVE YET unless you pre-ordered or bought the collector's edition. *smacks head against brick wall*

They are pissing people off tremendously before they even log on for the first time.

First impression...fail.

9. Re: You didn't read the media releases... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 JohnBirshire

It has nothing whatsoever to do with me "not interested" in playing early. If I wanted to log in early, I would have bought the CE. Besides, I already had someone reserve all 6 character names I wanted anyways. Also, I've been following development since the game was announced, it isn't as if I was simply ignorant of the details.

It is just the pure nature of the scenario...if you are going to release an online only game for purchase at stores...the servers should already be live. Period. All those points you made are simply irrelevant.

edit
Oh, and it is after 12:01 am, when they were supposedly ready to go live...but my key still says "not ready yet". Look...already late. :-P
This comment was edited on Sep 18, 00:02.

11. Re: You didn't read the media releases... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 JohnBirshire

John, please, read the media release(s) again. 12:01 AM is not the official launch time...

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=288

Oh, oops, I guess you were....wrong?

:-P

Also, contrary to popular belief, the majority of a game's players are NOT keeping up to date on a media releases. Hardcore's, sure, average player, nope. For example, I'd have to imagine 7.5 or so million of WoW's current subscribers hadn't even heard of it yet even six months after release. Judging by the mass of posts on the forums from people saying they were flooding tech support wondering why they couldn't register their keys...I think you're in the minority for think it is perfectly acceptable. But regardless...

Was able to start registering the account at about 12:45 am, aside from a couple page crashes it went off pretty much without a hitch. Played for a couple hours, going to stick with a Shaman for now since I've been playing MMOs 15 years and haven't so much as hardly tried a healer class, might as well try something new now. So far, so good....

News Comments > Mythic: WAR Better than WoW at Launch
15. Core versus Open RvR servers.... Sep 16, 2008, 02:56 JohnBirshire

One thing that is baffling me completely is the fact that Mythic seems to be openly biased against Open RvR servers. It is seriously giving me flashbacks of UO's decision to introduce Trammel, aka a big "F-U" to much of the player base. This also seems ironic, given the fact that Asheron's Call's open server was by far the most popular, WoW's PvP servers are among the highest populated, etc.

Yet they do this the day before release: Cut down the Open RvR to only two?!?!

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=282

WTF?!

I'm sorry, but Mythic is making some disappointing decisions very early here IMHO. I thought this was "War"hammer?!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
20. Re: Beta Sep 15, 2008, 17:18 JohnBirshire

How many times am I allowed to log in to my account before I have to buy a new copy?

Haha, owned!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
14. Please don't suck! Sep 15, 2008, 14:21 JohnBirshire

Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!Please don't suck!

Waited years for the "next generation" of MMOs, and AoC was a dissapointment. If Warhammer is too, then it's another drought of MMOs for the next several years. Ugh. Please don't suck!

News Comments > Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Update
5. Re: No subject Sep 15, 2008, 00:27 JohnBirshire

When I heard about the new noobie isle, I figured they were working on a cheap way to do a free trial. I'd feel better if it were a sample of the actual game - it's too easy to put on a false face with a limited trial such as this.

I think you just summed up Tortage in Age of Conan pretty well too.

Vanguard....seriously? Should have unplugged life support a month after release. I'd rather start playing Matrix Online. *sarcasm intended*

News Comments > WoW Character Transfers Expand
8. Leveled to max level on both servers.. Sep 11, 2008, 23:39 JohnBirshire

I leveled to max level on both server types on more than one occasion, and I can honestly say that there was no difference whatsoever. My last character I leveled to 70 on Illidan was a Hunter, and I was killed a grand total of 7 times in 200 hours. My Rogue, even less. That's a grand total of about 2 minutes spend running back to my corpse. Most high level players are more concerned with running the never-ending gear/raiding treadmill, rather than anything else. If they are hardcore into PvP, they are spending most if not all of their time in Arenas and Battlegrounds.

The entire argument the last couple years was "You shouldn't be able to easily carebear level your character to max level on PvE, then simply transfer to PvP. You have to tough it out like everybody else while fighting through hardship and grief". That might be true on hardcore PvP servers in hardcore PvP games, like in old school Asheron's Call or old school Ultima Online. But in WoW, please. You die, you lose nothing. You simply run back to your corpse in 10 seconds. That's not "hardship and grief".

The only thing wrong with this change is that it took 3 years to implement, and that is it.

News Comments > Mount & Blade Combat Details
3. Re: Played the beta. Sep 11, 2008, 16:14 JohnBirshire

I played it over the weekend. It's pretty neat. I enjoyed it, but it is repetitive. It needs multiplayer.

This game would simply be awesome with multiplayer. I agree with your assessment though, despite how "ground breaking, skill based, etc" this game's combat is...it is extremely repetitive. Been in a few fights, been in them all.

News Comments > Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss Website
5. Don't play on official servers... Sep 11, 2008, 00:08 JohnBirshire

Play on a player run server like "Hybrid" at:

www.uogamers.com

Heavy populated and crowds of people everywhere; not a ghost town like official servers, no lag, Britannia and 2nd Age only so people aren't spread out all over the place with boring uninspired expansion land masses, robust PvP with a large and healthy variety of character templates, parallel to "Dread Lord" Player Killer rule set promoting old school realism, etc etc etc. Oh, and the Orc role playing guilds are still there camping the Orc Fort like they were 10 years ago.

The "official" servers are nothing more than "neon glowing items to win" servers, not even remotely close to the original Ultima Online. If you want the original feel, the game is very well worth revisiting on servers like this one, give it a whirl.

News Comments > NCsoft Launches NC West With Lofty Goals
4. Ultima 10! Sep 10, 2008, 16:11 JohnBirshire

ASAP!

Oh, this is an MMO developer.

Ultima Online 2!

News Comments > NCsoft Cuts? Tabula Rasa in Trouble?
15. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2008, 23:27 JohnBirshire

Planetside and I'm sorry to say that it's fairly boring. after playing it for 3 years I can say that though I gotta admit it was a great game.

It is always ironic when someone says a game is "boring" after playing it for 3 years. I'd sure hope that a game would get boring after playing it 1000s of hours, lol. There are many great games on my "All Time" list, but I'd be bored to death with most after having played them for a few 100 hours, let alone 1000s. :-) But at least you finished the quote by saying it was a great game, heh. Some people here have talked about Tabula Rasa being underrated *which is up for debate*, but I truly think Planetside is THE most underrated MMO I've ever played.

Huxley looks like crap as well (think hgl) so no hope there..

I tend to agree. I was immensely looking forward to this game, because it reminded me in a way of Planetside, but after watching recent gameplay videos it isn't looking promising whatsoever.

I played Tabula Rasa for a few days, at the very end of open beta, after looking forward to it for years. Ironically the developers were saying "The game failed because too many people played during beta when it wasn't finished, and didn't buy the final product". But in reality they meant to say "The game failed because too many people played for free during beta and saw how awful it was, and didn't pay us money for the final product".

I even tried to get back into Tabula Rasa a few months later to see if it had improved, but I did some research on the game's official forums and by talking with players, and the general consensus was that the game was a major grind. I guess they didn't have enough "content" and people were growing bored, so they miraculously fixed it by....making the existing content take twice as long to get through, instead of adding more. When many believed the game was a grind before that change, you now have a catastrophe afterwards.

Not surprised at all to see this game already in talks of being in trouble.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo