Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1091 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > PotBS Avatar Combat Patch
3. Re: PotBS Avatar Combat Patch Jan 1, 2009, 11:40 JohnBirshire

This game's primary focus was PvP, but it was implemented horribly. Unlike many recent MMO's "Reward for winning, no punishment for losing", PotBS most often had a "Punishment for losing, no reward for winning" mentality. If a Britain attacked a French cargo ship for example, the French cargo ship would dump all their cargo before the British ship could capture any of it. The end result would be Britain=nothing, French=loss of ship. Nothing for winning, punishment for losing.

I was a pirate, and being a pirate wasn't profitable whatsoever, since almost EVERY single ship I attacked would dump all their cargo. At best I could "capture" their ship, for almost no reward at all. *you only got a deed worth 1 repair point* The only conceivable reward would be if I captured one of those Tier 1-4 ships, but that is another complaint/story entirely.

Another thing that was unfortunate is that they spent tremendous amounts of time making the quests fun, especially to read. *many were written by Lebow, one of my favorite Forgotten Realms authors*. However, it was tremendously much more profitable in cargo and experience to do nothing but grind on the Open Sea, so most people skipped questing entirely. Kind of defeats the point eh?

Oh, and the update was about Avatar Combat. Avatar Combat was thrown in at the last minute in beta, and was a joke. Even with these changes, it is still a joke.

PotBS was a niche game that could keep you occupied for a month or so, but it wasn't the next Eve Online like I thought it might be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Vaporware 2008
16. Re: Vaporware 2008 Dec 29, 2008, 20:14 JohnBirshire

I just want to know, is Steam vaporware?

Yes, it is a Steam(ing) pile of shit vapors.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2008, 23:58 JohnBirshire

If you think getting extra copies of Legendary will positively influence the score, just wait until it gets posted Monday!
**insert sound effect of large plane crashing and burning**
Ahhhh! It burns!

I was actually thinking that the only way you could put all the conspiracy theories to rest, silence the public outcry, have people stop trying to alter your wikipedia entry with profanity, and try to get people to move onto other unrelated topics among the dozens of website forum communities up in arms over this catastrophe...would be for you to give the game a bad review.

I guess you planned ahead and have got yourself covered. :-)

6. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2008, 18:11 JohnBirshire

Actually, the PR people for Legendary sent me two copies that I received on the same day. I am only one man, so I sold one.

And on a NOT so unrelated note...

On a completely unrelated note, guess which review is going up Monday? Some game called Legendary!

Out of Eight has been compromised! Proof that JaguarUSF is being bribed with extra copies of games to sell on Ebay in order to influence his reviews! Move over Gamespot! Watch out John Romero the bitchmaker! Hold onto your panties Hellgate London and that fat schmuck that now works for Champions "whatever the hell that is" Online! There is a new scandal that makes yours all pale in comparison!

-----------------------

Just kidding Jaguar, but I couldn't resist. :-P

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 19, 2008, 10:18 JohnBirshire

You can always count on Out of Eight to have the right review.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Roger Ebert... Dec 14, 2008, 18:15 JohnBirshire

Games aren't getting better, they are getting progressively worse. If I had to name my top 10 games of all time, not a single one of them would have come out in the last 1-10 years.

Have fun with that knitting Mr. Ebert!

News Comments > Warhammer Online Patched
2. Re: Warhammer Online Patched Dec 11, 2008, 15:38 JohnBirshire

*crickets*

No doubt! I remember all the hype surrounding Age of Conan and Warhammer Online for years before their release. Months after their release however, they are hardly mentioned.

News Comments > WoW Character Re-Customization
2. Re: WoW Character Re-Customization Dec 11, 2008, 15:36 JohnBirshire

I wasn't surprised to see older games searching for new methods of increasing revenue, such as Ultima Online *who even let you pay them money to help you sell your account to someone else*, etc. Was kind of shocked to see it being done so soon for WoW however.  

News Comments > Ubisoft on Review Scores and Acquisition Plans
6. Re: Ubisoft on Review Scores and Acquisition Plans Dec 11, 2008, 14:20 JohnBirshire

Advertising is the key.

I agree with this statement, because we've seen proof of this phenomenon over and over and over and over again in our society.

Remember those belts that you could wear, that supposedly gave you six pack abs? Well they were reviewed HORRIBLY, with people complaining about it causing stomach ulcers, being electrocuted by the device, etc even before it became popular. Low and behold, they made hundreds of millions of dollars from selling the device before the phenomenon dissapeared. Remember that awful movie Blair Witch Project? Horrid reviews, people were throwing up while watching it due to motion sickness, etc. $30,000 to make it *they kept bragging about that*, but they spent untold millions marketing it. Can probably come up with a couple more dozen examples off the top of my head.

News Comments > EVE Online Exploit
3. Re: EVE Online Exploit Dec 11, 2008, 13:55 JohnBirshire

I wouldn't be surprised if this exploit simply existed and wasn't fixed for years because the developer's own corporations were the ones abusing it. Once it became publicized, NOW they are taking action.

News Comments > WoW Dual Spec Plans
9. Re: WoW Dual Spec Plans Dec 10, 2008, 14:55 JohnBirshire

I think they are taking this "hold our player's hands" concept a little too far. *MMOs are carebear nowadays*

Maybe for their next project they should add "runes or glyphs" that let you change class at anytime as well.

News Comments > WoW Dual Spec Plans
6. Re: WoW Dual Spec Plans Dec 10, 2008, 12:27 JohnBirshire

Deathknights?

So how long until server population is like 50% Deathknight, then 50% Rogue, Mage, Warrior, Priest, Hunter, Shaman, Paladin, Druid, Warlock?

I still can't comprehend why they added one new class in 2 expansions.

8. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2008, 10:34 JohnBirshire

But even so, the Live and SocialClub aspects of it (so far, anyway) seem almost invisible to me

Keyloggers are invisible too, but that doesn't mean I want that crap on my computer.

You can keep any game that installs all these apps just to play it while I keep my money, this is all going to end up costing the industry more money than piracy supposedly does.

9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2008, 16:58 JohnBirshire

You have to install RGSC and GFWL, but you don't have to sign into either of them to play single player. When the RGSC launcher comes up, there is a button with the words "skip login" on it. Press that button, then you can play without being online. As for GFWL, create an offline account rather than an online account so you can save your games without having to be online.

Hmmm, seems to contradict what many others are saying. So the game installs both of these programs, but you never have to login to play single player? But you still have to login the first time around to create the accounts? But if you never intend to play multiplayer, you can instead create an offline account? But if you do want to play multiplayer, you have to create an online account, and then always have to be logged in?

P.S. Is PC Gaming always going to have to be this convoluted from now on? I'm buying a 360...

News Comments > Used Games Hurt Game Quality?
8. Why stop with used game sales? Dec 8, 2008, 14:44 JohnBirshire

I'm sure the auto industry would be much better off if people stopped buying/selling used cars too. Force people to only buy brand new vehicles from now on!

Using the logic in this argument, used sales of EVERYTHING and ANYTHING should be banned, because it is "hurting the manufacturers".

*heavy sarcasm intended to show how asinine this line of thought is from the people who are making this argument*

5. Grand Theft Auto 4... Dec 8, 2008, 12:09 JohnBirshire

Do I want to buy this game or not?

I loved every other GTA, been playing them since the 1st one. Couldn't wait for GTA 4, multiplayer sounds like a blast. *I tried the San Andreas multiplayer, I thought the network code was "shoddy" at best*

However, I've seen absolutely nothing but 1000s of posts complaining about GTA 4 for a wide variety of reasons. I also have refused to buy games that use SecurRom or whatever it is called, require you to sign up and run additional background programs, etc. As a result, if I didn't want to play GTA 4 so bad, I would have avoided this game at all costs.

Despite all the complaints and problems, I am seeing a lot of videos on gaming websites of people playing multiplayer just fine, and it looks like a lot of fun. I hate to be missing out if the game would run perfectly. However, without a demo, I'd hate to spend 50 dollars on a game I can't sell on Ebay because I've already created accounts.

So...is anybody playing GTA 4 multiplayer, not having problems, and is actually enjoying it?

News Comments > GTA4 PC Problems
9. Re: GTA4 PC Problems Dec 4, 2008, 09:57 JohnBirshire

We are aware that a small number of fans

"Small number"..."A little over half", what's the difference right?

News Comments > Atari: Used Game Sales "Extremely Painful"
24. People buy and sell "used" stuff all... Dec 3, 2008, 22:56 JohnBirshire

People buy and sell "used" stuff all over society. Cars, houses, furniture, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

This line of thought just shows how out of touch, illogical, and asinine these publishers really are.

News Comments > Copernicus Interview
1. Re: Copernicus Interview Dec 3, 2008, 20:33 JohnBirshire

R.A. Salvatore told me he was on board as a primary writer, and that was years ago. An MMO with quests actually worth reading/listening to? Can it be?  

News Comments > Riddick Remake Plans Remade
13. Re: Riddick Remake Plans Remade Dec 3, 2008, 11:51 JohnBirshire

The movie sucks, IMO.

I seem to be a minority, but I actually loved the movie, and have probably watched it 5 times in the last couple of years.

I unfortunately didn't get a chance to play Escape from Butcher Bay, so I'm excited about them releasing it, or something close to it, again...with more content and even better graphics.

1091 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo