Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1086 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Demo
38. Widescreen? Jan 22, 2009, 19:45 JohnBirshire

My widescreen has black bars on the top and bottom while playing this game in widescreen resolution.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

No game company is that stupid in 2009.......right? Please?

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2009, 19:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve: "Pirates Are Underserved Customers"
10. Re: Valve: "Pirates Are Underserved Customers" Jan 18, 2009, 14:04 JohnBirshire

I don't know what the correct percentage is, but I'd have to guess that each individual game that a pirate pirates probably only had a 3% chance of that same pirate buying it if they weren't able to pirate it.

Most game pirates I'm aware of literally pirate every single game they possibly can, and spend very little time playing each one. I went to college with a guy about 6 years ago who literally had EVERY game that was released for the PC in a year, he was addicted to saying he has played every game, even though he might spend an hour on each one. How many of those games would he have bought? 1, 2, out of a 100 perhaps?

I bet in some twisted way you can say that some pirates actually increase game sales, through word of mouth. They might tell friends how great the game is, and at least some of them will legitimately buy it to find out for themselves. It's a long shot, but definitely feasible if you think about it psychologically.

News Comments > Tabula Rasa Retrospectives
9. Re: Tabula Rasa Retrospectives Jan 17, 2009, 21:32 JohnBirshire

And it's box art.

Another thing that is very sad, but very true.

The percentage of PC Games that are sold by some random person with hardly a clue going to Wal-Mart and looking at the boxes is extremely high. Sure hardcore gamers like us might follow a game through development and know when it's coming out three years ahead of time, but the "average joe" doesn't. I think I read that Wal-Mart is one of the, or the number one retailer of PC Games, and most hardcore players don't buy their games from Wal-Mart.

For example, I was shocked to see Hellgate:London with box art so horrible it didn't even contain any screenshots. That means they were relying on word of mouth and word of mouth alone to sell their product. Half-Life 2 did the same thing, but although it did sell a ton of copies, I bet it would have sold far more if they included several screenshots of the game on their box art.

News Comments > Tabula Rasa Retrospectives
7. Re: Tabula Rasa Retrospectives Jan 17, 2009, 17:05 JohnBirshire

I think a game's name has a lot to do with it's success, whether we like it or not.  

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Retrospective
12. Re: Planescape: Torment Retrospective Jan 17, 2009, 16:22 JohnBirshire

Most of the game's text was methodically used to write a 450 page novel, which you can either download as a word document for free, or even order it as a physical copy.

http://www.wischik.com/lu/senses/pst-book.html

edit I posted the link above.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2009, 16:23.

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Balance Proposal
1. Re: Red Alert 3 Balance Proposal Jan 16, 2009, 14:03 JohnBirshire

They need to hire some programmers away from Blizzard. Red Alert 3 and Command and Conquer 3 balance is a joke. I watched their official tournament a few months ago, EVERY SINGLE PLAYER was doing the EXACT SAME THING. Same race, same units, etc. Was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, they had to have been embarassed.

It was like watching an NFL football game where every team was running the same exact play every single play the entire game.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Writer Revealed
7. Award Winning! Jan 15, 2009, 11:12 JohnBirshire

Can't have a press release without that statement!

But to stay on topic, I looked this author up, most of his novels seem to be from the 90s and are found in the "Teen Girl" section of the bookstores. Can't wait to see Doom 5's storyline!

News Comments > SWG Character Transfers
9. Re: SWG Character Transfers Jan 13, 2009, 10:50 JohnBirshire

Planetside was awesome the first month or two, still one of my favorite MMO experiences, and I've played relatively everything *except for some of the Asian MMOs* that has come out in the last 15 years.

Hopefully Bioware's Star Wars MMO is worthy of playing. I'd have to imagine however that SWG's 50k-100k subscribers will be 0 when it comes out.

News Comments > Dawn of War II: DLC, Not DRM
2. Re: Dawn of War II: DLC, Not DRM Jan 9, 2009, 21:51 JohnBirshire

No DRM? Statements from the lead designer such as "don't want to punish the innocent, want to reward people who actually bought the game", etc?

I was on the fence about buying this game...but I think I now have all the justification I need to add it to my shopping cart.

News Comments > WoW Death Knights Expand
1. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 11:04 JohnBirshire

This whole idea was ridiculous, 3 years, and ONE new class? With easy requirements to create?

Pretty soon half the servers will be Death Knights, the other half will be Rogue, Mage, Warlock, Priest, Shaman, Paladin, Hunter, Warrior, Druid...

News Comments > Tomb Raider: Underworld Underperforms
9. Re: Tomb Raider: Underworld Underperforms Jan 9, 2009, 11:01 JohnBirshire

Or it may have something to do with the fact that you can only play the same game over and over and over and over again so many times before you stop wanting to buy each new edition that comes out 3 times a year. "But this one is much better, honest!" I know that they make minor additions or changes each time, well at least some of the time, but still....

1.5 million IS a success given the circumstances.

News Comments > On Turbine & Microtransactions
4. I'd hate to be... Jan 6, 2009, 10:40 JohnBirshire

An accountant for an MMO that prescribes to the "microtransation" fad.

Yes, fad.

I can see it already...

Investor: "So, you estimate having approximately 500,000 subscribers paying a subscription fee of $15 per month, growing at a rate of approximately...."

Reply: "Uhhh, no, we uhm, expect our green pin striped hats to be very popular with our 20-28 year old male who lives in Southwest California player base, and they sell for $5 each, we think we will sell anywhere between 1,000 and 25,000 of them, our purple hair dye with highlight extensions might be popular with our 15-18 gothic female audience, and it sells for $4 a bottle, we expect to sell anywhere from 2,000 to 20,000 bottles, and.........etc, etc, etc, etc"

Investor: "Uhhh, no thank you."

In the already volatile MMO industry, this is just a recipe for disaster.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 5, 2009, 11:24 JohnBirshire

Most large companies turn over that amount of staff annually intentionally, just to continue to remove under performing employees.

Or their top performing employees, ie. Circuit City.

News Comments > Lord British to Return?
1. Re: Lord British to Return? Jan 1, 2009, 12:36 JohnBirshire

Ultima 11 or go back to your space ship, your choice.  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
3. USD 19,000 Jan 1, 2009, 11:52 JohnBirshire

That is why you do smaller deals, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I got burned out of $600 from selling Ultima Online gold once. I sold 50 million gold, received a Paypal payment, and met the guy in game, giving him the gold. A few days later my Paypal account got $600 deducted, because it was paid for using a stolen credit card. Since then, I never sold more than 10 million at a time, so that if I do get scammed, it isn't as damaging.

News Comments > PotBS Avatar Combat Patch
3. Re: PotBS Avatar Combat Patch Jan 1, 2009, 11:40 JohnBirshire

This game's primary focus was PvP, but it was implemented horribly. Unlike many recent MMO's "Reward for winning, no punishment for losing", PotBS most often had a "Punishment for losing, no reward for winning" mentality. If a Britain attacked a French cargo ship for example, the French cargo ship would dump all their cargo before the British ship could capture any of it. The end result would be Britain=nothing, French=loss of ship. Nothing for winning, punishment for losing.

I was a pirate, and being a pirate wasn't profitable whatsoever, since almost EVERY single ship I attacked would dump all their cargo. At best I could "capture" their ship, for almost no reward at all. *you only got a deed worth 1 repair point* The only conceivable reward would be if I captured one of those Tier 1-4 ships, but that is another complaint/story entirely.

Another thing that was unfortunate is that they spent tremendous amounts of time making the quests fun, especially to read. *many were written by Lebow, one of my favorite Forgotten Realms authors*. However, it was tremendously much more profitable in cargo and experience to do nothing but grind on the Open Sea, so most people skipped questing entirely. Kind of defeats the point eh?

Oh, and the update was about Avatar Combat. Avatar Combat was thrown in at the last minute in beta, and was a joke. Even with these changes, it is still a joke.

PotBS was a niche game that could keep you occupied for a month or so, but it wasn't the next Eve Online like I thought it might be.

News Comments > Vaporware 2008
16. Re: Vaporware 2008 Dec 29, 2008, 20:14 JohnBirshire

I just want to know, is Steam vaporware?

Yes, it is a Steam(ing) pile of shit vapors.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2008, 23:58 JohnBirshire

If you think getting extra copies of Legendary will positively influence the score, just wait until it gets posted Monday!
**insert sound effect of large plane crashing and burning**
Ahhhh! It burns!

I was actually thinking that the only way you could put all the conspiracy theories to rest, silence the public outcry, have people stop trying to alter your wikipedia entry with profanity, and try to get people to move onto other unrelated topics among the dozens of website forum communities up in arms over this catastrophe...would be for you to give the game a bad review.

I guess you planned ahead and have got yourself covered. :-)

6. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2008, 18:11 JohnBirshire

Actually, the PR people for Legendary sent me two copies that I received on the same day. I am only one man, so I sold one.

And on a NOT so unrelated note...

On a completely unrelated note, guess which review is going up Monday? Some game called Legendary!

Out of Eight has been compromised! Proof that JaguarUSF is being bribed with extra copies of games to sell on Ebay in order to influence his reviews! Move over Gamespot! Watch out John Romero the bitchmaker! Hold onto your panties Hellgate London and that fat schmuck that now works for Champions "whatever the hell that is" Online! There is a new scandal that makes yours all pale in comparison!

-----------------------

Just kidding Jaguar, but I couldn't resist. :-P

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 19, 2008, 10:18 JohnBirshire

You can always count on Out of Eight to have the right review.  

1086 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo