Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1074 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warcraft Trading Card Game Ending Production
2. Re: World of Warcraft Trading Card Game Ending Production Aug 25, 2013, 13:01 JohnBirshire

I see these cards at most retail stores, but have never met anyone that has mentioned they play it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak
2. Re: GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak Aug 25, 2013, 13:00 JohnBirshire

Console news.  

News Comments > DayZ Delayed Again
21. Re: DayZ Delayed Again Aug 22, 2013, 14:53 JohnBirshire

Good, take your time and get it right.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
50. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 18:07 JohnBirshire

GW2 this, GW2 that. I hate to say this, but the game would fail as a subscription MMO because it isn't worth subscribing to. That is why they have an alternative revenue plan. They don't want EoS to make GW2 money, they want to make it worth subscribing to, and therefore make a lot more money. If that fails, THEN they can go FTP as a backup plan, there is no reason to START as a FTP game.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
27. The right move! Aug 21, 2013, 12:47 JohnBirshire

The only people coming out ahead in FTP games are casuals who play for free, aka freeloaders. Average or hardcore players who don't want to be restricted on content end up paying more than a normal monthly fee every month on average, to make up the difference. Sure, FTP is great...if you're a casual noob who just wants to check the game out, play occasionally, etc. However, the players that actually keep the game afloat are getting screwed. I predict the FTP trend actually reverses itself in the next decade as more and more people catch on to this fad.

If Elder Scrolls Online was NOT subscription based, I would have skipped it. Since it IS subscription based, I'm looking forward to it. After all, if your game isn't worth subscribing to, it would be FTP. If it's "FTP" but has a subscription option, it's not a FTP game, people need to start being honest with themselves.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. The Bureau, no surprise. Aug 20, 2013, 12:49 JohnBirshire

I knew The Bureau was going to be a dud as soon as I saw them banning pre-release reviews...that is always a 100% clear indication of the reviews being terrible.

Couldn't also help being suspicious given the fact that the pre-order bonuses on Steam were more valuable than the game itself.

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Launch Trailer
5. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Launch Trailer Aug 19, 2013, 22:58 JohnBirshire

From my experience EVERY game/movie/book that has banned early reviews has turned out to be terrible. Won't be surprised to wake up tomorrow to see this game being torn apart by reviewers.  

News Comments > Might & Magic X Legacy Early Access
6. Re: Might & Magic X Legacy Early Access Aug 19, 2013, 22:54 JohnBirshire

Some games work out okay as early releases, such as multiplayer games where you can interact with other players while you play randomly added content, but I just don't see how or why you'd want to play an early release version of a single player RPG.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Aug 19, 2013, 13:43 JohnBirshire

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 12:07:
But the thing is, that the land is already in Skyrim from Morrowind and Oblivion, you just can't access it normally due to invisible walls.

LOL.

In all honestly though, I'm not excited about this because these projects often take years to complete, we'll be playing the 6th Elder Scrolls installment by then.

News Comments > E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free Weekend
3. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free Weekend Aug 17, 2013, 01:16 JohnBirshire

Why buy it, you can easily finish it in a free weekend. Reviewers said 5 hours on average.  

News Comments > Guardians of Middle-earth for PC This Month
5. Re: Guardians of Middle-earth for PC This Month Aug 15, 2013, 17:26 JohnBirshire

It is actually a far inferior MOBA game compared to the other prominent ones on the market, it will sell a handful of copies due to it being LoTR, but without it the game would have been utterly and completely overlooked.  

News Comments > Defiance Add-on Next Week
10. Re: Defiance Add-on Next Week Aug 14, 2013, 12:34 JohnBirshire

Duel other players in best of three match-ups. Is it arena based? Where you queue and it matches you against someone? Or do you have to run around /dueling people you see?  

News Comments > Blizzard TMs "The Dark Below"?
7. Re: Blizzard TMs Aug 13, 2013, 17:16 JohnBirshire

I think it makes the most sense as a WoW expansion. They have tried to have a unique theme for each one, and an entire expansion devoted to an "Underdark" theme would certainly make a lot of sense.  

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Sells 1.2M
4. Awesome game, all things considered. Aug 13, 2013, 00:06 JohnBirshire

I've put 350 hours into this game so far, I am slightly addicted based on the fact that I've deleted it 4 times and keep managing to reinstall it again. I spend the majority of my time dueling, I enjoy the fact that this game requires a perfect combination of twitch skills and strategy. In my opinion this game has the best 1 vs 1 combat since early Ultima Online.

I think the developers are a little out of touch sometimes though, they often make changes to game mechanics that nobody asked for, and that make little to no sense. *like the fact you get stamina stunned from blocking 3 times with a shield, completely ruined Last Team Standing games for me since if you're outnumbered you can't use your skill to win anymore* Some of the weapons are considerably better than others as well, like the claymore and broadsword. I also wish you could reset your duel record, I'm sitting at 4000 wins 600 losses now, but a lot of my losses came from when I was still trying to learn the game, I just went 100-1 tonight. It would also be nice so I could play classes I'm not as good with for fun, without worrying about my win/loss ratio. All things considered though, among the best $20 I've spent.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2013, 00:12.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Monkey Island trailer??!?! Aug 11, 2013, 13:46 JohnBirshire

OMG OMG OMG......oh, a stupid spoof video. Ugh.  

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 15 More Games
3. Re: Steam Greenlights 15 More Games Aug 10, 2013, 14:53 JohnBirshire

This "Greenlight" is meaningless, they do it to awful games too. It doesn't mean anything anymore, if it ever did.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Queen's Jubilee Begins
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Queen's Jubilee Begins Aug 6, 2013, 10:38 JohnBirshire

Will you be able to queue for random 1 vs 1's in the new arena? Or do you specifically have to invite someone?

I enjoyed PvP for awhile, but the World vs World got incredibly boring very quickly, as you spent the majority of your time attacking doors and NPC's. The other PvP mode was 8 vs 8 if I remember correctly, but also got repetitive quickly, the game simply lacked enough diversity to keep me interested for long. Hopefully the arena changes my mind and brings me back, but I can't tell if it is a serious addition, or just a casual one for people to duel against their guildies and friends.

News Comments > Command & Conquer Trailer
1. Re: Command & Conquer Trailer Aug 5, 2013, 20:37 JohnBirshire

These games are worthless, they can't make a balanced or competitive game to save their lives. Worked back in the day, but the gaming community has changed since then, that's why they will never again be successful. I loved the original and Red Alert, but those days are long gone unfortunately.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 14:31 JohnBirshire

Considering the organizational structure created around liquor licenses for restaurants (my father as a politician dealt with it regularly) it's pretty crazy to see anybody willing to risk revocation.

Exactly. I remember when my uncle was retiring and selling his highly profitable liquor store nobody was interested in the store whatsoever, but someone would stop in and try to buy his liquor license almost every single day.

News Comments > Titan "Unlikely" to be Subscription-Based
4. Re: Titan Aug 2, 2013, 15:27 JohnBirshire

The only people coming out ahead in FTP games are casuals who play for free, aka freeloaders. Average or hardcore players who don't want to be restricted on content end up paying more than a normal monthly fee on average, to make up the difference. Sure, FTP is great...if you're a casual noob who just wants to check the game out, play occasionally, etc. However, the players that actually keep the game afloat are getting screwed. I predict the FTP trend actually reverses itself in the next decade as more and more people catch on to this fad.  

1074 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo