Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1075 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Dawn of War II Trailers
6. Re: Dawn of War II Trailers Feb 12, 2009, 16:32 JohnBirshire

Early reviews are above average. Most state that the campaign mode is repetitive at best. However, single player is something I might play through once, but if the multiplayer is good I could play it for a year. With PC Gaming being practically dead and only two games coming out this year I'm looking forward to, Dragon Age and Starcraft 2, I can't afford to be too picky.

I'm looking forward to this, but I wouldn't mind a demo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Left 4 Dead DLC Free
10. Should I buy this game? Feb 11, 2009, 16:01 JohnBirshire

I've been struggling with whether to buy this game for awhile now.

I'm pretty good with FPS's *even though I prefer MMO's*, and used to be a ranked Case's Ladder and Kali Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and Quake player back in the day. I ended up quiting FPS's and competitive play once I realized I didn't have near enough freetime to compete with the likes of Thresh, Fatal1ty, etc on a competitive level.

I don't buy many FPS's anymore as a result, only ones I've played recently were F.E.A.R. and Crysis.

Since I like MMO's, obvioulsy I prefer multiplayer, and many have been saying that Left 4 Dead is a great multiplayer game. However, I'm just so hesitant to buy PC games that I can't sell when I'm finished. *I buy a game for 50, play through it, sell it on Ebay for 45*. Left 4 Dead I hear isn't a game you can sell on Ebay when you're finished, since it has online activation, requires login info, etc.

I was also concerned about the replayability of this game. Shooting neverending streams of Zombies Co-Op sounds like fun...but for how long? Are the updates enough to keep you playing indefinitely? Or do you get burned out quickly by monotony?

Anybody with an honest opinion think I should buy?

edit Oh, and for the inevitable "You don't buy games you can't sell when you're finished but you play mostly MMOs?!" responses, I've made 100x as much money as I've spent on MMOs from selling characters, currency, etc. With Left 4 Dead, nothing like that to sell.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2009, 16:03.

News Comments > Matrix Online Dev Unplugged
7. Re: Matrix Online Dev Unplugged Feb 11, 2009, 11:00 JohnBirshire

This is one of the only MMOs I never played, I was thinking about checking it out just to see what is going on. It is certainly one of the many MMOs that is completely, totally, and utterly under the radar.

Oh, and the story is awful btw, I am interested in The Matrix so I checked a few websites and found one with a story synopsis, it almost appeared as if they were dragging their story out as long as they possibly could, with uninteresting events and seldom plot developement.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 2 Feb 10, 2009, 15:05 JohnBirshire

Does this game still not support 16:10 widescreen resolution?

The demo didn't, I was shocked.

News Comments > EVE Online Drops Linux
27. Re: EVE Online Drops Linux Feb 9, 2009, 18:24 JohnBirshire

Linux = EVE Online
Windows XP = World of Warcraft

Hope that makes sense

I can't really make any sense out of that. I know several people who play WoW on Linux. Not really sure what kind of a point you were trying to make.

Not sure where the arguments are coming from, but it simply comes down to money, yet again. Console games make a lot more money than PC games...you see consoles take precedent. Supporting Windows is more profitable than supporting Linux...you see Windows take precedent. When it costs more to support Linux than you are seeing in extra profit from doing so, it isn't hard to see the correlation.

News Comments > More WoW Plans
11. Devil's Advocate... Feb 6, 2009, 14:54 JohnBirshire

They just released a new expansion. With 10 more levels. Many more items. A new profession. A new class. New skills. New Talents. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Of course they are going to spend time balancing. And everybody acts like it is a bad thing?!?! They still balance Warcraft 3! And people LOVE Blizzard for it. What is the alternative? Not balancing? I know WoW hating is phenomenon now, but sometimes people are taking things to the extremes.

News Comments > Hellgate: London R.I.P.
10. Re: Hellgate: London R.I.P. Feb 2, 2009, 13:13 JohnBirshire

I agree, but this is how America works. The biggest rip off nation that cares not for the consumer.

Many of the copies on Ebay are not even from the United States. Also, most of the people selling copies have no idea that the "online servers" are down. Not everybody selling games on Ebay is a gamer, I'd have to guess only a minority are. Many are drop-shippers, liquidators, etc etc. So turning this into an attack against America is downright ludicrous. But then again, most attacks on America are. Keep trying though Surf, eventually you'll get something to stick.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Movie
6. Did I just watch a video about the new.. Jan 31, 2009, 12:40 JohnBirshire

Did I just watch a video about the new Star Wars MMO, or was it World of Warcraft 40k?

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Demo
52. Re: Widescreen? Jan 22, 2009, 23:32 JohnBirshire

That's because that's a 16:9 ratio. Try 1920x1200.

So the consensus is that the game supports 16:9 but not 16:10, therefore only supporting half of all widescreen monitors. Yes, that makes perfect sense...oh, wait, no.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Demo
38. Widescreen? Jan 22, 2009, 19:45 JohnBirshire

My widescreen has black bars on the top and bottom while playing this game in widescreen resolution.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

No game company is that stupid in 2009.......right? Please?

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2009, 19:52.

News Comments > Valve: "Pirates Are Underserved Customers"
10. Re: Valve: "Pirates Are Underserved Customers" Jan 18, 2009, 14:04 JohnBirshire

I don't know what the correct percentage is, but I'd have to guess that each individual game that a pirate pirates probably only had a 3% chance of that same pirate buying it if they weren't able to pirate it.

Most game pirates I'm aware of literally pirate every single game they possibly can, and spend very little time playing each one. I went to college with a guy about 6 years ago who literally had EVERY game that was released for the PC in a year, he was addicted to saying he has played every game, even though he might spend an hour on each one. How many of those games would he have bought? 1, 2, out of a 100 perhaps?

I bet in some twisted way you can say that some pirates actually increase game sales, through word of mouth. They might tell friends how great the game is, and at least some of them will legitimately buy it to find out for themselves. It's a long shot, but definitely feasible if you think about it psychologically.

News Comments > Tabula Rasa Retrospectives
9. Re: Tabula Rasa Retrospectives Jan 17, 2009, 21:32 JohnBirshire

And it's box art.

Another thing that is very sad, but very true.

The percentage of PC Games that are sold by some random person with hardly a clue going to Wal-Mart and looking at the boxes is extremely high. Sure hardcore gamers like us might follow a game through development and know when it's coming out three years ahead of time, but the "average joe" doesn't. I think I read that Wal-Mart is one of the, or the number one retailer of PC Games, and most hardcore players don't buy their games from Wal-Mart.

For example, I was shocked to see Hellgate:London with box art so horrible it didn't even contain any screenshots. That means they were relying on word of mouth and word of mouth alone to sell their product. Half-Life 2 did the same thing, but although it did sell a ton of copies, I bet it would have sold far more if they included several screenshots of the game on their box art.

News Comments > Tabula Rasa Retrospectives
7. Re: Tabula Rasa Retrospectives Jan 17, 2009, 17:05 JohnBirshire

I think a game's name has a lot to do with it's success, whether we like it or not.  

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Retrospective
12. Re: Planescape: Torment Retrospective Jan 17, 2009, 16:22 JohnBirshire

Most of the game's text was methodically used to write a 450 page novel, which you can either download as a word document for free, or even order it as a physical copy.

http://www.wischik.com/lu/senses/pst-book.html

edit I posted the link above.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2009, 16:23.

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Balance Proposal
1. Re: Red Alert 3 Balance Proposal Jan 16, 2009, 14:03 JohnBirshire

They need to hire some programmers away from Blizzard. Red Alert 3 and Command and Conquer 3 balance is a joke. I watched their official tournament a few months ago, EVERY SINGLE PLAYER was doing the EXACT SAME THING. Same race, same units, etc. Was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, they had to have been embarassed.

It was like watching an NFL football game where every team was running the same exact play every single play the entire game.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Writer Revealed
7. Award Winning! Jan 15, 2009, 11:12 JohnBirshire

Can't have a press release without that statement!

But to stay on topic, I looked this author up, most of his novels seem to be from the 90s and are found in the "Teen Girl" section of the bookstores. Can't wait to see Doom 5's storyline!

News Comments > SWG Character Transfers
9. Re: SWG Character Transfers Jan 13, 2009, 10:50 JohnBirshire

Planetside was awesome the first month or two, still one of my favorite MMO experiences, and I've played relatively everything *except for some of the Asian MMOs* that has come out in the last 15 years.

Hopefully Bioware's Star Wars MMO is worthy of playing. I'd have to imagine however that SWG's 50k-100k subscribers will be 0 when it comes out.

News Comments > Dawn of War II: DLC, Not DRM
2. Re: Dawn of War II: DLC, Not DRM Jan 9, 2009, 21:51 JohnBirshire

No DRM? Statements from the lead designer such as "don't want to punish the innocent, want to reward people who actually bought the game", etc?

I was on the fence about buying this game...but I think I now have all the justification I need to add it to my shopping cart.

News Comments > WoW Death Knights Expand
1. Re: WoW Death Knights Expand Jan 9, 2009, 11:04 JohnBirshire

This whole idea was ridiculous, 3 years, and ONE new class? With easy requirements to create?

Pretty soon half the servers will be Death Knights, the other half will be Rogue, Mage, Warlock, Priest, Shaman, Paladin, Hunter, Warrior, Druid...

News Comments > Tomb Raider: Underworld Underperforms
9. Re: Tomb Raider: Underworld Underperforms Jan 9, 2009, 11:01 JohnBirshire

Or it may have something to do with the fact that you can only play the same game over and over and over and over again so many times before you stop wanting to buy each new edition that comes out 3 times a year. "But this one is much better, honest!" I know that they make minor additions or changes each time, well at least some of the time, but still....

1.5 million IS a success given the circumstances.

1075 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo